Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Two Balls / S01.E04: Comedy Gold

Episode 03 Synopsis:

A visit to Sid's hometown reveals he has not been truthful about his career path. While Galavant and Isabella back up Sid's stories, King Richard decides to throw a ball to cheer up the people of Valencia.

Episode 04 Synopsis:

An encounter with land-bound pirates forces Galavant, Isabella and Sid to learn how to get over their petty squabbles and work together. Meanwhile, King Richard tries a new tactic to win Madalena's love.

• Love 2

I just finished the first ep of the evening (Ep 3).  Loved it.  The "previously on" musical number had me cracking up immensely.  Loved "Sidneyland", everything about the Executioners band, the "roast" of King Richard, the opening joke "How many Valencians does it take to win a war?"  The original music numbers were ok but I not catchy at all.

One thought I have.  For a show titled "Galavant", the show seems to hardly ever actually be about him, no?  And that's probably a good thing, as he appears to be one of the weaker links in the show.  I'll watch episode 4 tomorrow, but still wildly enjoying this!

• Love 1

This first episode was better than the second. I didn't like the humor in the second it resulted in second hand embarrassment (me for Richard). I don't like that kind of humor.

The songs were good, I liked Jackass in a Can quite a bit. Isablla getting really into the improve acting was fun, she's a cutie.

Back in Valencia I continue to love Chef and the Richard/Gareth/Chef friendship (?).

I also liked the executioners song, that was entertaining as well.

BTW - Did anyone else have issues where the audio/visual didn't line up? I felt like I was watching a dubbed show...it was distracting.

• Love 2

This first episode was better than the second. I didn't like the humor in the second it resulted in second hand embarrassment (me for Richard). I don't like that kind of humor.

I second that, there were several jokes that got a wince instead of a laugh.  However, the executioner band was fun. 

Sidneyland was a good bit, and I laughed at them trying to do rock paper scissors to decide who would turn the poor bunny into dinner while it escaped.

Hugh Bonneville should play more pirates.  I hope the Pirate King and King Richard get to compare notes!

• Love 3

I'm not quite sure what episode I liked better. The joust episode from last week is still my favorite and had my favorite songs in it so far. I think I liked the pirate shanty the best out of the songs.

Galabella is chugging full steam ahead, but I wish they'd slow down a bit, even though they have only 8 episodes to develop their relationship.

Hugh was great as a pirate. I loved The Executioners, their catchy death songs, and I cracked up when it did that strange slow motion sequence of the Valencians dancing with terrified expressions on their faces.

I feel bad for King Richard :(. It looks like they could be setting up Madelena to be the true big bad, which I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Least favorite song of the night was probably "Comedy Gold," or whatever it was called. The Jester sounds much better when he's allowed to sing like in the Galavant theme song. I thought he seemed to struggle with this style of song.

Loved the musical "previously on..."

• Love 3

I didn't like this as much as I did the premiere.  "Jackass in a Can" was modestly funny, as was the executioners' song.  "Sidneyland" as a play on "Disneyland" was also cute.  I don't know what was supposed to be so funny about kicking a eunuch.  I mean I get that he has no balls but it wasn't funny.

• Love 5

It looks like they could be setting up Madelena to be the true big bad, which I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

That would be a neat twist on the conventional story. It was pretty cold how quickly Madalena threw over the jester once his guilt set in, though I loved that she never even knew his name.

• Love 7

I enjoyed both episodes, although I liked both of the ones from last week better than either of these two.

I liked the "Jackass in a Can" song the most. Didn't care at all for the "Oy What a Knight" or whatever it was called. Something says to me that the show seems to think that I'm supposed to think the concept of a black man adopted by the very Jewish-est of Jewish families is extremely funny, but I fail to see the humour. It's no different to me than a white family adopting an Asian baby or any couple adopting any baby of a different race.

I agree that I also didn't care for "Comedy Gold".

Very much liking the interaction between the actors playing Galavant, Sid and Isabella. That song where it ends with Galavant with the jazz hands and shoulder flourish, and Sid complaining that he was supposed to get the big finish this time... Very funny.

I think Joshua Sasse is doing a great job and is one of the stronger performers. He is an able singer, and the little subtle things he does are spot on, like the "are you kidding me" glance he gives Sid and Izzy as they are listening to the pirate song. I know he did comedy on "Neighbours" but I'm only familiar with a dark and different side of him in "Rogue", so I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I am liking him in this role.

• Love 5

Episode 3 seemed to suffer a bit from being squeezed into half an hour. It was really weird that the story just ended with Sid telling his parents the truth out of hearing range. Thankfully, 4 was a lot better, and it was quite a blast going straight from it to Hugh debating the Russian Revolution.

• Love 6

Episode 3 seemed to suffer a bit from being squeezed into half an hour. It was really weird that the story just ended with Sid telling his parents the truth out of hearing range. Thankfully, 4 was a lot better, and it was quite a blast going straight from it to Hugh debating the Russian Revolution.

Yeah, that was a really weird sudden ending. In fact, I thought it had gone to a commercial break plugging the next episode, and was sitting there thinking how odd that was, until a couple minutes went by and I realized they'd simply quit in the middle of the scene and jumped to a new story.

• Love 3

I wanted to hear more of "Dance Till You Die".

I'm sure two of the  Valencian dancers would like to have also!

It was really weird that the story just ended with Sid telling his parents the truth out of hearing range.

Okay, not just me.  I was hoping for at least a thowaway bit of dialogue about how Sidneyland is now Mudville because his name's mud to the whole town. Something!

I hope that Richard finds The Jester/ Kevin (?) and saves him from the dungeon with the mice.

• Love 1

I'm finding the show mildly amusing, and a nice diversion.  I found some of their segues into the musical numbers funny, and the parodying of musical conventions.  I also liked them occasionally throwing some modern anachronisms into the dialogue.  The only jokes I haven't liked were the mass murder of civilians jokes.  Some shows I sometimes have on in the background and mostly listen, but this show is worth watching since the actors' facial expressions are great.

• Love 2

I watched the first episode of this with really low expectations, thinking it would be just another network gimmick that didn't live up to its advertising.  But I love it.

I think last week was better, but this week still had me in stitches.  I can't explain why I like it so much, and I'm surprised because I usually am not a fan of the musical format.  But I am enjoying it so much, and will likely rematch it.  

ETA: I nearly died at "You know the saying It takes a village" "No, never heard it".  Not sure why, but it struck me as very funny.

Edited by Turtle
  • Love 4

Didn't care at all for the "Oy What a Knight" or whatever it was called. Something says to me that the show seems to think that I'm supposed to think the concept of a black man adopted by the very Jewish-est of Jewish families is extremely funny, but I fail to see the humour. It's no different to me than a white family adopting an Asian baby or any couple adopting any baby of a different race.

Totally agree with this. I was disappointed in this number. Partially because I don't find "being Jewish" to be inherently funny- it comes off like a punchline, but there's not actually a joke behind it. But also because with the exception of Sid and the racially ambiguous Isabella, and the very occasional bit player in the background, this cast is almost unilaterally white, including the chorus and extras. Meeting Sid's family might have been a chance to introduce a slightly more diverse slate of guest stars, instead of shoehorning yet more white people into a lame "it's funny 'cause they're Jewish" song and dance number. I dunno, maybe I've been watching too much "Sleepy Hollow," but I'm finding it really egregious and obvious when they use an almost all-white cast and throw in one token "Black Pirate" dancing near the back who gets no lines, or the one "Black Peasant" standing off near the corner who gets no lines. These token players don't actually serve to make the cast look more diverse. What they really do is stick out and make it even more obvious how monochromatic the rest of the ensemble is! Mission failed, casting department!

I did, however, love the "Jackass in a Can" song. And the pirates' song! And the Executioners' song! Lots of high points this week. I also enjoyed Richard's behaviour, in Ep. 3 especially. It's nice to have some reminders that despite the goofy and oddly charming exterior, King Richard is not just some lovesick, misunderstood ninny, but is really a bad guy who takes genuine delight in harming, depriving, and tormenting others. Tim Omundson is having so much fun with the role, it's genuinely hard not to forget he's the bad guy and start rooting for him by mistake!

• Love 4

Aw, no! I hope the jester isn't permanently gone; he's cute. And I hope the Chef makes it to season 2.

For me the second episode edged out the first; I liked the opening song, also pirates.

Wow, we're already halfway though!

• Love 1

Oh man, the Executioners was laugh out loud funny to me.  I thought that was the best bit of the first episode.  And the pirates got laughs out of me in the second.  I don't ask much from this show and it delivers in spades.  I think it's really funny.

• Love 1

Did anyone else think the "serfs buying grog" joke was kind of funny? Although I am a fan of Andy Kaufman, so take that for what it's worth.

Edited by Eegah

I think they've been setting up Madalena as the real big bad since the second episode at the least. Also the line "I know there's something scary behind your cold dead eyes"...yeah, she's got the potential to be a real baddie.

• Love 4

I don't think a show like this needs a big bad... it's a lighthearted musical comedy.  The theme seems to be the typical "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy tries to get girl back".  Only in this case, the girl willingly left him and the usual bad guy (the "other" guy) is being treated just as badly by the girl.  I do agree though, that she's not at all the typical heroine / damsel in distress that gets rescued by the knight.  From the "previously" recap song:  "Sweet Madalena though, has lost her saintly glow, and she is tilting sharply towards bitchtastic."  (Or something like that.)

• Love 1

I love this show. So. Much.

I do wish for more diversity in Valencia. Maybe this was explained and I missed it, but, why is Isabella the only brown person in Valencia? Is she adopted, like Syd? I adore her character, she's smart, resourceful, gorgeous, and has delightfully unladylike flaws: snores, chews with her mouth open.

Fave moment: when Galavant tries to get Isabella not to drink out of the cup, but she protests, saying that she's already drank from it, and he just lets her continue.

• Love 2

I do agree though, that she's not at all the typical heroine / damsel in distress that gets rescued by the knight. From the "previously" recap song: "Sweet Madalena though, has lost her saintly glow, and she is tilting sharply towards bitchtastic." (Or something like that.)

Sharply bitchward, which is I line I loved and will usurp.

• Love 8

Kick the eunuch is definitely not funny, nor are the references to mass killings.

Where is the Game of Thrones reference for when I rewatch. I remember a Got ref on the directions sign in the first ep, but not here.

Definitely Monty Python homage in the pirates song. Best part of the episode.

• Love 2
Where is the Game of Thrones reference for when I rewatch. I remember a Got ref on the directions sign in the first ep, but not here.

Gal gets marched off by the Pirate King.  When he turns the tables and captures the Pirate King and brings him back to the pirate camp so he can save Sid and Isabella, he finds that they have already defeated all of the pirates.  Sid says something like "you missed an incredible battle.  It was better than anything at Castle Black."

But also because with the exception of Sid and the racially ambiguous Isabella, and the very occasional bit player in the background, this cast is almost unilaterally white, including the chorus and extras. Meeting Sid's family might have been a chance to introduce a slightly more diverse slate of guest stars, instead of shoehorning yet more white people into a lame "it's funny 'cause they're Jewish" song and dance number. I dunno, maybe I've been watching too much "Sleepy Hollow," but I'm finding it really egregious and obvious when they use an almost all-white cast and throw in one token "Black Pirate" dancing near the back who gets no lines, or the one "Black Peasant" standing off near the corner who gets no lines. These token players don't actually serve to make the cast look more diverse. What they really do is stick out and make it even more obvious how monochromatic the rest of the ensemble is! Mission failed, casting department!

I tend to agree. On the one hand, I love that two-thirds of the heroic troupe are minorities.  The show even calls attention to it by having Galavant comment that they are "very diverse".  On the other hand, they could have more minority speaking side roles.  So far, the only minority I have noticed is the black lady extra/dancer that is part of the Valencian court.  I agree with you that she sticks out even more because she is the only minority face in a sea of whites.  I have yet to notice any Asian or Hispanic characters.  If they are truly race blind here and it is a diverse world, have some more minority speaking parts.  There's no reason why one of the Executioners couldn't have been a minority.

So many funny bits about these episodes.  Trail mix!  Which wouldn't have existed in England in those times, particularly "Brazil" nuts.  And the fact that Galavant eats only the raisins.  At least per my tastes, the nuts and chocolate are the best parts of trail mix, and the raisins are the worst!

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1

So many funny bits about these episodes.  Trail mix!  Which wouldn't have existed in England in those times, particularly "Brazil" nuts.  And the fact that Galavant eats only the raisins.  At least per my tastes, the nuts and chocolate are the best parts of trail mix, and the raisins are the worst!

Never mind that chocolate was also unknown in the Europe of Galavant's time.

Incidentally, I don't have a problem with the lack of racial diversity in the cast, because that's actually mostly reflective of the racial demographic of 13th-Century Europe, which was lily-white for the most part at that time.  Asia was still largely unknown (the show is set some 20 years before Marco Polo's epic journey to China), and Africans, while known, would not have been nearly as populous in northern Europe as they are now.  

Valencia would be an exception, but only because of the Moors, who had invaded the Iberian Peninsula centuries earlier and had intermingled to some degree with the native future Spaniards (who were, remember, of definite European ancestry dating back to the Romans).  Isabella could easily have some Moorish blood in her, which would account for her olive skin, and Sid would simply be one of the rare exceptions to the general demographic rule.  Therefore, political correctness/colorblindness aside, the show is spot-on in its use of a predominantly white cast in the important roles; it's simply reflective of what would have been the actual demographic of the time.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

I agree with you that Europe at that time would have been mostly white.  But the very fact that the producers cast a black man and an Indian woman as two-thirds of their lead protagonist team demonstrates to me that they don't care about what the historical demographic was like.  While it's true that Isabella could have Moorish blood in her, her two parents look completely 100% Spanish/white, which diminishes that theory.  I feel they cast her because they didn't care that she is a dark-skinned Indian but playing a princess of Spain.  Which is why I find it disappointing that if they were going to throw the historical demographic out the window in casting these two, that they couldn't have had a more diverse cast.  

One of the squires or executioners or pirates with singing lines could easily have been a minority.  Especially the pirates, who presumably could have been acquired from all over the known world.

• Love 2

One or two of the pirates were black.

I am thoroughly enjoying the silliness of it all.  I'm awfully fond of the chef, especially when he was seating the queen (Madelyne?) for the comedy performance and said "Chef out".

• Love 6

I love that two-thirds of the heroic troupe are minorities.  The show even calls attention to it by having Galavant comment that they are "very diverse". On the other hand...

Exactly. The fact that there is a comment about it written into the script indicates that this cast has been assembled with a specific eye for diversity. So what's their excuse? It looks like Medieval Europe, but it's not really. It's a fantasy kingdom, not a historical one. It could be populated by whomever the producers decide. There's no historical context here, or need to abide by historical realism. And that scripted comment about "diversity" shows that they think they're doing a good job of it. But having one token Black performer in every chorus is not diversity. Sid and Isabella aren't treated like rarities because of their skin colour, which indicates that they are not anomalies in this world. So where are the others? If that one Black Pirate had a line or two, something to indicate that he was a person with a relationship to the other characters, that would be one thing. But it is not okay to bring out one "Black Pirate" or "Black Peasant" for a dance number and then shuffle them off again when it is time for some real human interaction.

I could also mention that in an episode that seemed at first to be about him, Sid was the only one (besides Isabella) who actually DIDN'T get a story in episode 3. A proper story arc has a beginning, middle, and end. Gal got a story, where pretending to be a squire taught him a lesson about humility. The resolution to the whole episode was Gal finally "getting off his high horse" and being a friend to Sid. Richard and Madalena got a resolution to their story. Even the Eunuch got a complete story (gets kicked in the crotch, gets revenge in the form of outing Madalena and the jester to Richard, gets carted off to the dungeon). Sid and Isabella, and their fake engagement, was the only plotline that didn't actually get resolved, just an implication that it was probably dealt with off-screen later. Meaning that when the writers/editors were deciding how to cut things down to fit everything into a 21-minute episode, Sid and Isabella (coincidentally the only minority characters)'s story was the one they considered most expendable.

I don't mean to harp on this point, but it really is too egregious to ignore, and too pervasive to just handwave away, especially since we're halfway through and it hasn't changed. It bugs me because I KNOW they can do better, the show has been brilliantly put together, performed and choreographed, and it's frustrating to see them doing so poorly in this regard.

• Love 1

I really like the natural chemistry between the three main characters, and I liked that Isabella was totally on board with making Sid look like a glorious knight. I'm also loving the build up between her and Galavant- I'm sure it will get angsty once he realizes that she has been playing him.

The lack of ethnicity doesn't phase me- I'm surprised that two major characters are Indian and black, so that's already a win in my book. Plus, I'm watching more for the silliness and singing.

• Love 10

I didn't like the  third episode very much, but tbh,  I didn't catch half of the jokes. I didn't even know Sid's parents were Jews until I read these comments. I loved the fourth one, though. The pirates were hilarious and they have a very catchy song.

Sid's being adopted while Isabella's family is unexplained is actually kind of cracking me up. It had a certain "not the point" irreverance I can appreciate. Plus it reminds me when plays do totally racially blind casting and raise a few eyebrows.

• Love 4