Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Pantry Of Horror

On Cooks vs. Cons I enjoy the fact that you don't find out what the cons really do until after the judging.  I wonder if I wouldn't be as annoyed by the (producer-encouraged) stupidity of the contestants on WCIA if I knew only that I was watching Bob, 34, from Columbus OH. Not Bob, 34, Nuclear Physicist.

I just saw a promo for Worst Cooks In America, Celebrity Edition premiering Wednesday August 23 at 9PM.

Anne Burrell and Rachel Ray will be the mentors.

The new celebrity recruits are: Nora Dunn, Carmen Electra, Erik Estrada, Vivica A. Fox, Perez Hilton, Carson Kressley, Sean Lowe and Melissa Peterman.

In the first episode, Anne and Rachael kick things off with a social media-inspired challenge.  The mentors follow with a lobster lesson, which proves to be a disaster for some of these clueless cooks. 

Anne and Rachael then choose their teams, and the culinary training begins.

Upcoming episodes feature international flavors, dessert-themed milkshake and cupcake challenges and the return of trivia game Family Food, this time with a "freaky food" twist.

Carson Kressley and Ted Allen were on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy together.   You'd think Carson would have picked up a few food things from Ted over the years.  Unless he didn't pay attention.  Or forgot.  Maybe Anne and Rachel can ask Ted for help with him?  Or at least have him on as a guest judge to rattle him?  Oh I would LOVE to see that.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:47 AM, Superclam said:

Erik Estrada is really working the "celebrity" reality circuit! 

Hey the man has bills to pay.  

• Love 2

Carson will definitely be a hoot as he was on "Dancing with the Stars".  I can't believe Perez Hilton is on this, LOL.  I remember when he reported on the Kenya Wilson blowup after she was eliminated last season.  Maybe the show asked him to join this time and he took them up on it!

• Love 1

I notice that my DVR seems to indicate that the episodes it knows of are all numbered only with odd numbers. I can see that episodes 1, 3, and 5 will be airing in the next 10 days. Weird, no?

And agreed, I am looking forward to Carson the most.

11 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Carson won Cupcake Wars. He's no dummy. 

They're probably going to say he's only good at baking, not cooking.  I suppose it's possible, but is it really that probable to be great at baking but suck at cooking?  Usually it's the cooks that make bad bakers but the bakers usually can cook too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

They're probably going to say he's only good at baking, not cooking

They will probably just ignore it like they did for Mike aka The Situation who since the first season of Jersey Shore was known for cooking respectable looking and apparently tasting Italian American meals for his roommates and then was confused by even the most basic tasks. 

• Love 1
On 10/12/2016 at 11:57 PM, Snarklepuss said:

They still do the regular non-celeb. version too.  At least they did last year.  Plus I saw putz David and "I love you Bobby Flay" Carla on "Worst Bakers" - ugh.

Oh, god, they just ran a marathon of that season and I came here for sympathy, It's 9 minutes into the first ep and already I hope David and Carla die in a fire.

• Love 1

Tyler Florence posted a video of his daughter getting a surprise gift for Christmas on Twitter - a kitten. It was so adorable! She was so surprised, picked up and hugged the kitten, all while tears started to flow.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

So one ad has Anne showing the "recruits" how to bake bacon in the oven.  One woman pipes up that she's seen bacon made in the microwave.  Anne snits "I'm not going to show you how to cook in the microwave."  Um, why not?   The microwave can be used as a tool just like anything else in the kitchen.   I think this show is forgetting HOW TO TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO ACTUALLY COOK.   It needs to do away with the whole reality show competition bullshit.  Just have the best actual teachers in the Food Network pool [whoever they are] show up at various nominated houses and teach people basic recipes.  Omelets.  Roast chicken.  Steak.   How to cook vegetables.  Soup from scratch.  How to cook pasta and rice so they don't burn the pan.  Whatever.  And, yes, how to use a microwave for more than heating up TV dinners.   

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

So one ad has Anne showing the "recruits" how to bake bacon in the oven.  One woman pipes up that she's seen bacon made in the microwave.  Anne snits "I'm not going to show you how to cook in the microwave."  Um, why not?   The microwave can be used as a tool just like anything else in the kitchen.   I think this show is forgetting HOW TO TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO ACTUALLY COOK.   It needs to do away with the whole reality show competition bullshit.  Just have the best actual teachers in the Food Network pool [whoever they are] show up at various nominated houses and teach people basic recipes.  Omelets.  Roast chicken.  Steak.   How to cook vegetables.  Soup from scratch.  How to cook pasta and rice so they don't burn the pan.  Whatever.  And, yes, how to use a microwave for more than heating up TV dinners.   

FN used to have a show like that - Tyler Florence's "Food 911". I loved that show.

• Love 1

I remember Food 911 too.   Tyler was so nice to the people that needed his help.   FN could revive that, but make it about common food problems and have Tyler, or whoever, fix those problems.  Hell, they could do a "Home Economics 101" show because apparently that class isn't really being taught in schools anymore.  Just a bare-bones cooking class taught over the airwaves.  No contest, no prizes.  Just teaching.

• Love 1