Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Loser Like Me / S06.E02: Homecoming

Cranberry

With all the racist, effemiphobic, misogynistic, body- and slut-shaming, and Lord knows how many other slurs and insults Sue said over the years, I still  really didn't like her fat-shaming students and putting them in a 'pig pen'. I mean...WTH?

This show has gotten so hard to watch. Sue used to be mean but there was something inside of her that would pop out every now and then that showed compassion (with her sister for example). Now the entire show is mean and barely watchable for me. Likewise Becky **shudders** I know several fairly high functioning young adults with Downs and it's horrifying to me to see that Becky is the worst bitch on the planet - don't get me wrong, they aren't all happy all the time but Becky is a horrible "image" of somebody with a disability. And also Mercedes and her "you-go-girl" rant against the Teabagger club?  So much for tolerance from both sides. 

• Love 1

While I liked the New Noobs overall, Roderick doesn't look like much of an actor, he seems stilted with his line readings.   Jane was somewhat  better, and The cheerio twins with the little they got had some zip in their line readings.   The problem short of giving them any kind of decent SL, is that the setup is yet again another choir  competition against insurmountable odds ,  yet with the lead roles the directors and not the performers.

Okay, maybe I do understand why Rachel went back home after that one setback to her career.  However, it is kind of unrealistic that a woman as determined as Rachel to make a career in show business would just up and go home after the failure of her TV show instead of picking herself up and try to find another gig.

She's had two - she's screwed up her Broadway prospects so badly that one article was stating it was a good thing she still had TV to fall back on, and then her TV efforts tanked so badly that the same is said. She's not welcome on Broadway or in TV - and most actors, AFAIK, don't start out right into movies, so what medium is left for her? Rachel needs some real time to regroup and ponder that question.

She's not welcome on Broadway or in TV - and most actors, AFAIK, don't start out right into movies, so what medium is left for her? Rachel needs some real time to regroup and ponder that question.

Well in the real world, you aren't really blacklisted from TV because a pilot fails and sucks (otherwise there'd be way more actors/actresses that are persona non grata in Hollywood) so it's all still just a plot device to get her back to Lima, which is what the writers want for the last season.  So cest la vie.

• Love 1

They majorly exaggerated the scenario to get Rachel back to Lima with no alternative, by making her utterly humiliated and the laughing stock of the Western hemisphere.  If the TV show was that bad and offensive, it would never have made it to air.  I think overall, the exaggeration worked for the humor factor, and also to allow Rachel to hit rock-bottom.  But yeah, it's completely unrealistic.  Though no less realistic than Sue still being allowed to work in the educational system.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Agreed. And we saw the show. Rachel was not that bad in the show, it's the other actors and the writing that was terrible. 

re: the teabagger club - we are calling them that because we are ragging on them, right? 'coz that's not what they were.

They majorly exaggerated the scenario to get Rachel back to Lima with no alternative, by making her utterly humiliated and the laughing stock of the Western hemisphere.  If the TV show was that bad and offensive, it would never have made it to air.  I think overall, the exaggeration worked for the humor factor, and also to allow Rachel to hit rock-bottom.  But yeah, it's completely unrealistic.  Though no less realistic than Sue still being allowed to work in the educational system.

They said the tv  show was done live. But that is still bogus cause there would have been rehearsals and  censors etc.   Every aspect to the tv show has had big huge holes.  Lets face it even the tv producer wouldn't have doen a pilot while she was still under contract  her would have waited or past.

Edited by tom87

While I liked the New Noobs overall, Roderick doesn't look like much of an actor, he seems stilted with his line readings.   Jane was somewhat  better, and The cheerio twins with the little they got had some zip in their line readings.   The problem short of giving them any kind of decent SL, is that the setup is yet again another choir  competition against insurmountable odds ,  yet with the lead roles the directors and not the performers.

I think I've finally made my (long overdue) peace with the fact that Glee is not a show in which one should expect spectacular acting. 

I actually really like the setup of a choir competition against insurmountable odds, but with the directors not performers the focus. I kinda remember season 1 was meant to be as much about the adults as it was the kids, and then the show evolved. Now it's almost like it's going to be the show it wanted to be at the start - and I'm encouraged because I loved THAT show. 

I really enjoyed these two episodes. The second a bit more than the first, but overall definitely both of them. Maybe the distance in the delayed start to the season helped, but I found it funny again in a way it hasn't been, and also I just wasn't as fussed by stuff that would have annoyed me beyond belief before. So much of the story seems so surreal that I'm just rolling with it, I really like the new kids and the role they seem to be playing so far (secondary), and the Klaine of it all is just so absurd now it's fully-fledged pantomime.

Can't wait for next week.

• Love 2

They said the tv  show was done live. But that is still bogus cause there would have been rehearsals and  censors etc.   Every aspect to the tv show has had big huge holes.  Lets face it even the tv producer wouldn't have doen a pilot while she was still under contract  her would have waited or past.

The timeline also doesn't fit pilot season at all. I think this is where it becomes clear these people just don't care. If there's one thing you'd assume they'd know it's how tv works, but they don't give a shit about anything making sense. They want Rachel to fail, so she's the most epic fail of fails and her dads broke up too just to rub it in a bit more. They want Blaine to date the worst possible option ever for shock value, so he's with Karofsky no matter how little sense it makes if you use your brain for a few seconds. These people literally don't care so long as the characters are where they want them and they can get people to scream at them on twitter. 

Edited by ComfySweater
  • Love 3

I'm not trying to give Glee any more credit than it deserves, but could Rachel's show have been a midseason replacement (like Glee is currently)?

Not really. It's not worth digging too deep into anything Glee and timeline-related, but they started too late and ended too early to be anything network tv ever made for fall or mid-season. Blaine also failed out of college somewhere after mid-terms and before finals in spite of being the favored child of their biggest donor or something. Just plaster a big helping of contrivance on it all and go to Lima. Go directly to Lima. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

• Love 1

The timeline makes no sense at all, given that Rachel supposedly spent months on her self-imposed pity party before returning to Lima.

Another thing that makes no sense - where is this money that Rachel is supposedly using to pay for ND coming from? She mentioned her television money, but she very likely was only paid for the one episode that aired (and maybe a small severance package since she was fired). For a new actress in her first TV project, she would not have been paid big bucks. Even to be generous, let's say that she earned $20k for that one episode that she filmed. She said that she spent the next several months hiding away before coming back to Lima which means that she wasn't working and had no additional income coming in. She would probably have already burned through a lot of what she had left from Funny Girl (if she didn't lose it all to settle the promised lawsuit) and would have spent most of what she earned from That's So Rachel for her basic living expenses in LA (which is one of the most expensive cities to live in). By the time she made her way back to Lima, she wouldn't have a whole lot left. Certainly not enough to pay for all of NDs expenses for the school term, not to mention supporting herself she her role isn't that of paid faculty.

Edited by Hana Chan

Well in the real world, you aren't really blacklisted from TV because a pilot fails and sucks (otherwise there'd be way more actors/actresses that are persona non grata in Hollywood) so it's all still just a plot device to get her back to Lima, which is what the writers want for the last season.  So cest la vie.

You may not be blacklisted, but you certainly wouldn't be judged as a marketable talent. Most actors have at least a few roles in their backgrounds that they look back upon with more than a little embarrassment, but this was Rachel's first television role and the show was entirely built around her. After that incredible fail (which cost a network head his job), it's no surprise that Rachel would find it very difficult to find new work opportunities in LA. And the show didn't indicate that she even tried.

Broadway, however, is a real blacklisting. Quitting your show less than a few months into your run (and very possibly causing it to close early)? There's not a producer that would touch her now (nor would any show's insurance permit her to be cast because she's too much of a risk).

It's not that Rachel can never work in the industry again. It's that she's got a lot of work ahead of her rebuilding her reputation to make her a reasonable risk to hire, and even then, the odds are stacked against her. She's going to face a lot of rejection and maybe working shitty roles in tiny productions (at best) until she gets any major production willing to hire her. It's wouldn't be a case of convincing a director to take a chance on her by singing a song in a diner, but showing that she's really learned her lesson and can be counted on to fulfill her obligations. The question is if Rachel is really willing to put herself through that kind of grind for the chance to stand on a Broadway stage again.

• Love 1

Yeah, the biggest problem Rachel faces, if this was anywhere in the vicinity of the real world, is that she broke a contract and nobody with a lick of sense or a need to be insured would hire her again. She'd need to crawl up from regional theater to bit parts in off off broadway to maybe an ensemble role if they really liked her a lot. This being Glee, she's one audition and a wink at her awfulness from  that Tony she'll probably dedicate to Finn in the finale.

In another show that could be Her arc for a whole season, but this is Glee.

Rachel could stage a comeback and triumph all in one episode with all of Broadway bowing at her feet.

Edited by caracas1914

And the weird thing is it will all come because she directed a high school show choir.  It's certainly an unconventional way to segue into a prominent career in show business, but the arts are really important to a super-specific segment of public education.

• Love 3

You know, throughout the second episode with Kurt/Blaine/Dave, all I could think was 'how big of a jerk is Blaine?!'. I interpreted his relationship with Dave as a bit manipulative. I think that a big part of their relationship is Blaine using Dave to hurt Kurt, at least to an extent. The only reason why I think this is that he intentionally invited Dave to (presumably?) Scandals to meet with Kurt, just to throw the relationship in his face. Yes, I'm pretty sure Blaine said that he wanted to tell Kurt in person about Dave, but why bring him to see Kurt? He knows Kurt would be disapproving and not just for jealousy reasons. Blaine's an ass for even doing it. Dave has made amends and clearly he had been in a very bad place when he bullied Kurt, but he seems to be on a better track. I know Dave is essentially hurting Kurt as well, but I think that he likes Blaine (for reasons I will never understand) and Blaine's going to break his heart, just like he's done to Kurt.

When they were cuddling in the truck, the look in Blaine's eyes as he stared at Kurt seemed almost...gleeful (pun intended), as if he's trying to dare Kurt to say anything, or if he's declaring his dominance in the relationship. I don't get the impression that Blaine loves Dave. He may like him to an extent, but I get the impression that Dave is more smitten over Blaine. Blaine just looks incredibly uncomfortable with Dave, and I'm not sure whether that's an actor problem, whether it's Blaine showing that he's not over Kurt or what, but the only way I can interpret this is Blaine using Dave to make Kurt jealous. Either way I see it, Blaine's the ass here. He cheated on Kurt, got to have his crush on Sam while being pissy over Kurt's relationships, gets to date Dave, Kurt's former bully who actually is the reason why these two met and gets to act superior just because Kurt broke up with him. Frankly, in my mind, Blaine can go screw himself and leave Dave and Kurt in the dust. I like Max Adler and I think he's actually an ok actor, but I feel sorry he's saddled in this role as former bully now Blaine's boyfriend. He'll be screwed either way. Poor Max; he keeps getting these roles lately of boyfriend of someone who's pining over someone else. 

I guess, though, that if Grant Gustin wasn't already successful with The Flash, he would have been Blaine's boyfriend for this season. Which...eh, not that much better, but at least Blaine would be dating someone who tormented HIMSELF instead of his ex. And Sebastian would probably dump Blaine first, rather than Blaine most likely dumping Dave (or sleeping with Kurt THEN dumping Dave, which I predict will happen because Blaine's that much of an ass). I guess you guys understand how much I hate Blaine :)

Other notes of the episode:

-Will and Danny are incredibly cute together. More of that

-I don't mind the newbies, but....eh, they're just ok. Roderick is cool, but I fear for fat jokes from Sue or other characters. The twins are weird, but they remind me of what season 1 recurring characters could be like. Spencer's a jerk and they're still using sexuality as a character's main trait. Subtlety is not Murphy's strong suit. Jane's ok too, I like her enough that I want to see her take down the Warblers. 

-Sue was so much better in the first two seasons. Becky can leave the show any time now. 

-I miss the old cast and how their background moments made the first three seasons. Seeing them crack up in the background, Chord's old background facial expressions along with Naya and even Cory (Chord used to have such good background facial expressions. I miss that. I really want someone on Youtube to make a montage of background moments for the first two seasons) and their actually good one liners made the show good for me in the early seasons. Now it feels forced and contrived.

-Rachel coming back to Lima is unrealistic, especially to coach Glee Club. Her dads getting divorced is just sad, but I guess since they might not have been able to get Goldblum back...

-Eh to everything else, especially the songs. Home was the only good song, and Mustang Sally. Let It Go was incredibly boring, and every other song is forgettable. I love Suddenly Seymour and I think belting the song like Lea did makes it worse.

Yeah, that's all I got. I'm still angered by Blaine. 

• Love 1
You may not be blacklisted, but you certainly wouldn't be judged as a marketable talent.  Most actors have at least a few roles in their backgrounds that they look back upon with more than a little embarrassment, but this was Rachel's first television role and the show was entirely built around her.

That's not how pilot season on TV works.  So many shows fail every year in a lot of different ways and there are a lot of actors are in those shows that wind up in something else.   But there's also no way in real life that a show with that premise would have been ordered and would have made it on air.  But Glee is not based in reality.

Even to be generous, let's say that she earned $20k for that one episode that she filmed. She said that she spent the next several months hiding away before coming back to Lima which means that she wasn't working and had no additional income coming in.

In real life, she'd very would have likely easily made more than $20k for that episode just based on SAG minimums and how many weeks of work she would have been guaranteed (pilot on air and likely a few episode commitment), but again the actual amount means nothing because the show isn't based in reality so it all doesn't really matter.

Broadway, however, is a real blacklisting.

I never said anything about Broadway.  She clearly burned her bridge with that producer in what I still think is a unbelievable deviation from her character, but again the show is not based in reality and the writers clearly do whatever unbelievable thing they want.  

The point is that the show wants things set in Lima.  They did a bunch of wonky things to the characters (Rachel crashing and burning, Blaine dropping out of school, Sam deciding he hated NY and modeling, Kurt chasing Blaine back to Lima) to bring them back to the setting they wanted.

But Blaine doesn't do a-hole things, Kurt was in the wrong. As I'm sure his therapist will tell him. Rachel didn't even come to Kurt's defense when Blaine accused him of being in on Jane's poaching even though Kurt just found out seconds before being accused. That's what Kurt gets for breaking up with someone who won't even let him use a towel to wipe his face.

Why would they even meet at Scandals? I would think the Lima Bean would've fit more with those two, but whatever. Nothing like having a meaningful conversation in a loud bar.

I interpreted his relationship with Dave as a bit manipulative. I think that a big part of their relationship is Blaine using Dave to hurt Kurt, at least to an extent.

I don't get that impression from what we saw on-screen.  I mean, MAYBE subconcsiously that's a part of it, but I'm thinking that's way too subtle a motivation for RIB to use a character on Glee.  I think they tried their best to sell Blaine/Karofsky as a couple (the writing seemed pretty straightfoward in a "They met, They grew to like each, and now they're dating" kinda way.), but the poor writing coupled with the visible lack of chemsitry betweeen the two made people skeptical. (And I like both Max Ader and Darren Criss as actors, for the most part!!)

Of course, Murphy's obession with the Klaine wedding trumps all, and I fully expect an re-engagement (if not the actual wedding!) by the end of the season.

The lack of chemistry between Max and Darren is somewhere around my cat and a sheep he will never meet somewhere on the other side of the earth. I'm fairly sure the point of this "relationship" was that it would never work in any way. They're trying to make Klaine happen by making that guy seem way, way worse. Who wants to try to make fetch happen?

Probably blocked it out.

-Scene in the football field, she went to him for advise which was random.

-He was the only one that agreed with her that her show sucked.

-Dinner scene

- Hallway scene where they were looking for the mysterious voice "but now that you know I can tell you all this stuff" *that boy needs to go to confession*

- Take on Me, they paralleled the couple from the video in the sequence. They could have chosen anybody even Brittany/Santana,Puck/Quinn, or if they wanted to give Samcedes anything in this episode that was substacial, them. But they didn't they chose Sam and Rachel for this very well known moment in the original video.

-Beginning of Home

Media outlets picked up on it, they noticed that Sam and Rachel were paired up in scenes together and even wondered if that meant future romance while also saying the Mercedes/Sam line was a brush off line.

I saw all of those and I didn't take it as some big push.  For example at the dinner scene she was surrounded by ALL of the guys and it was her dad and Blaine who bracketed her when she was watching the show.  Also I could make a similar list for Rachel/Will, Rachel/Blaine, Rachel/Kurt.

• Love 2

I saw all of those and I didn't take it as some big push.  For example at the dinner scene she was surrounded by ALL of the guys and it was her dad and Blaine who bracketed her when she was watching the show.  Also I could make a similar list for Rachel/Will, Rachel/Blaine, Rachel/Kurt.

I think Sam might have also been blinking at Rachel in morse code, though. I'd have to go back and rewatch to make sure. And also learn to decipher morse code.

• Love 4

This show has gotten so hard to watch. Sue used to be mean but there was something inside of her that would pop out every now and then that showed compassion (with her sister for example). Now the entire show is mean and barely watchable for me. Likewise Becky **shudders** I know several fairly high functioning young adults with Downs and it's horrifying to me to see that Becky is the worst bitch on the planet - don't get me wrong, they aren't all happy all the time but Becky is a horrible "image" of somebody with a disability. And also Mercedes and her "you-go-girl" rant against the Teabagger club? So much for tolerance from both sides.

The irony is that Secret Life of the American Teenager had a high fuctioning Don't syndrome character that I used to hold Becky up to as an example of how to do it right. Now she's hardly any more tolerable than Tom on that show was--the guy told his sister that her having sex was why their dad died in a plane crash because Jesus, FFS!

Granted, Glee at least addressed some of the issues that those with the illness would face, like being seen as a regular human being...but this show can't have it both ways by letting her get away with saying shit that would get anyone else's teeth kicked in.

The Rachel/Sam scene that stuck out the most to me was her totally ignoring  what he was saying and him ignoring what she was doing.

Edited by tom87

These episodes had their moments as long as you ignore character continuity and just danced/sung along to the better numbers...

I don't mind the new characters but they've barely had any screen time and they probably won't go anywhere so it feels kind of pointless.

I did appreciate Spencer's disinterest in being pigeonholed into some random singing/dancing group just because he happens to be gay. Why did they even want him on the glee club other than he was gay ? Do they somehow know he can sing and dance ? Or has some secret desire to do either ?

I found the former highschoolers wandering in and out of the highschool locker room downright creepy.  It'd be slightly creepier if I knew how old these people were supposed to be at any point. I stopped paying attention to the timeline a while ago when highschool took 4 years and noone seemed to stay in their respective colleges/dream careers for more than a few episodes without returning to Lima HS appropros of nothing meaningful.

Every time I hear how meaningful Glee Club was for their friendships I remember how many episodes they spend arguing and insulting each other while competing for limited leads and laugh hysterically at what 'good friends' these people are.

I did appreciate Spencer's disinterest in being pigeonholed into some random singing/dancing group just because he happens to be gay. Why did they even want him on the glee club other than he was gay ? Do they somehow know he can sing and dance ? Or has some secret desire to do either ?

They were recruiting all over school including the Tea Party club, the football players had been part of the GC before so they went after them too. Rachel had already met Spencer. It's not surprising if she decided to start the jock recruit with him, if he ticks both the gay and the jock box. Kurt is both gay and was a former jock (if for a game but he was), so I can see how they decided he was the best fit to approach him. And Kurt approached him as a jock, not as a gay guy. Rachel does auditions but as Tina said, Sugar Motta was in the GC and was literally tone deaf, and traditionally they let anyone in. 

But short answer, because the character is one of the new newbies and so that nobody mistakes Kurt for anything more than effeminate.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
I did appreciate Spencer's disinterest in being pigeonholed into some random singing/dancing group just because he happens to be gay.

Since we know he's going to join anyways.

The thing is being masculine athletic jock trope trumps all, including being gay.  Spencer is seemingly  going to fit the mold of Finn, Puck, Ryder  and Sam who all  joined Glee but had almost a casual indifference to Glee  as far as not craving  the spotlight, solos, etc.  (To Finn it was more about his specific pairing with Rachel)   Mike wasn't as bad but he was minor character and  it was  laid out his singing was never that great anyways. So even he was reluctant.

A masculine gay jock who really wants  to sing and  perform , I think that actually would have worked very well and spinned things.    At least  against the other  stereotype of one  type of gay who would enthusiastic about Glee from the get go.  They tried that half assed with Blaine as "boxer" but it was laughable (Blaine screams effeminate gay) so it would have been nice to gotten a decent take at it.

Instead my guess is we are going to get hero Sam making Spencer into another hero because of their masculine superiority to save Glee in tandem.  Jocks bonding.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Rachel does auditions but as Tina said, Sugar Motta was in the GC and was literally tone deaf, and traditionally they let anyone in.

This is unrelated to the main point of your post, but it reminded me of that moment in the episode. Wasn't Will's rejection of tone deaf Sugar what led to the Troubletones being formed? So it wasn't like everyone was welcomed with open arms.

This is unrelated to the main point of your post, but it reminded me of that moment in the episode. Wasn't Will's rejection of tone deaf Sugar what led to the Troubletones being formed? So it wasn't like everyone was welcomed with open arms.

On Rachel's insistence, but in fairness it was presented that Sugar really was that bad.  Beyond Zizes and (early) Michael Chang bad.   As in so so  bad that the all inclusive policy was  questioned in her case.

Then again, she actually auditioned when others were let in without as much as  how to you do.

Edited by caracas1914

Since we know he's going to join anyways.

The thing is being masculine athletic jock trope trumps all, including being gay.  Spencer is seemingly  going to fit the mold of Finn, Puck, Ryder  and Sam who all  joined Glee but had almost a casual indifference to Glee  as far as not craving  the spotlight, solos, etc.  (To Finn it was more about his specific pairing with Rachel)   Mike wasn't as bad but he was minor character and  it was  laid out his singing was never that great anyways. So even he was reluctant.

A masculine gay jock who really wants  to sing and  perform , I think that actually would have worked very well and spinned things.    At least  against the other  stereotype of one  type of gay who would enthusiastic about Glee from the get go.  They tried that half assed with Blaine as "boxer" but it was laughable (Blaine screams effeminate gay) so it would have been nice to gotten a decent take at it.

Instead my guess is we are going to get hero Sam making Spencer into another hero because of their masculine superiority to save Glee in tandem.  Jocks bonding.

It's not like Kurt lacks muscle mass, we saw his biceps last season. But he has to be the effeminate who isn't coordinated or strong enough to catch a weak throw, so that Spencer will be recruited by the super masculine Sam.  /s (I edited late, to add about Sam because that's totally the intent there.)

Edited by fakeempress
Exactly, and it's not like Kurt lacks muscle mass, he was a Spartan at NYADA, a flying Peter Pan, and auditioned with scaffolding and sais. This totally screams effeminate who isn't coordinated or strong enough to catch a weak throw. /s

I think it's the water in Lima.  In NY Kurt  beat Blaine's ass in fencing but in Lima he's back to the effeminate non jock gay who can't catch a ball thrown at him.  Fuck this show for exiling  Kurt back in Lima and making him the stand out effeminate gay again.

Mind you, Kurt is effeminate, but it only seems to be an in issue in LIma which is why the setting sucks for him because it  puts him in the outsider role yet again with  the HS setting.

Edited by caracas1914

I think it's the water in Lima.  In NY Kurt  beat Blaine's ass in fencing but in Lima he's back to the effeminate non jock gay who can't catch a ball thrown at him.  Fuck this show for exiling  Kurt back in Lima and making him the stand out effeminate gay again.

Mind you, Kurt is effeminate, but it only seems to be an in issue in LIma which is why the setting sucks for him because it  puts him in the outsider role yet again with  the HS setting.

Yet another reason it's not even somewhat plausible Kurt would be back in Lima except that some focus group somewhere demanded his presence and this is where the idiots running this show decided to stick everybody so they could prop up yet another set of new kids. 

I don't even dislike this round of new kids, but they sure make it hard to support this shit when everybody I ever liked before has to fail this hard and be completely miserable in every way to get us here.

I was hallelujah-ing at the fencing scenes at NYADA, because I, misguidedly as it turns out, thought they'd left behind the effeminate territory. Everyone noticed and recognised how buff and strong he is. But enter Lima, and nope, we're back to the effeminate stereotyping because he wasn't a real jock in HS. It's indeed like when they sent him back to his high school, they returned him to his HS role too. Groundbreaking character development there. Now I realise why Chris had to play the scene sitting down.

Edited by fakeempress

I was hallelujah-ing at the fencing scenes at NYADA, because I, misguidedly as it turns out, thought they'd left behind the effeminate territory. Everyone noticed and recognised how buff and strong he is. But enter Lima, and nope, we're back to the effeminate stereotyping because he wasn't a real jock in HS. It's indeed like when they sent him back to his high school, they returned him to his HS role too. Groundbreaking character development there. Now I realise why Chris had to play the scene sitting down.

Despite the fact that I have grown to loathe Kurt's face and his emotional scrunching of said face I have to say it's not effeminate to not catch something. He was being glib when he said he was 'open' and didn't react fast enough to actually catch the ball but I'd imagine he's at least capable of catching a ball that's lobbed at a decent speed when prepared; otherwise his participation in the football game would have been more laughable than it was. Also fencing/weight lifting skills as far as I know have no correlation to reflectively catching balls during unrelated conversational attempts to recruit someone into an elective club.

I'd prefer Spencer's inclusion in the Glee orbit if he started being Kurt's arm candy to aggravate Blaine rather than him being needed to join in a Glee club whose existence will be gone by the end of the year in universe as Rachel will probably be given yet another unwarranted and unrealistic mega break and will leave Lima again.  Maybe it's just me but I find it creepy when a whole bunch of older people try and pressure someone into an activity they're not interested in for their own selfish reasons and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. For example when the Glee Club Verson 1.0 swarmed Roderick in the library and he reacted by preparing himself to go into fetal position.

I'd imagine most highschoolers wouldn't appreciate being swarmed by a dozen maladjusted adults who have unhealthy frequently toxic relationships with each other and spend an absurd time at their former highschool . The Glee Club is an elective and these 'adults' are pressuring teenagers to join even though they have no qualifications to run such an activity without an actual teacher involved.

I don't even dislike this round of new kids, but they sure make it hard to support this shit when everybody I ever liked before has to fail this hard and be completely miserable in every way to get us here.

I really wish this show would let some of these people GROW UP AND MOVE ON already. It's getting ridiculous and downright depressing now.

Edited by wayne67

Despite the fact that I have grown to loathe Kurt's face and his emotional scrunching of said face I have to say it's not effeminate to not catch something. He was being glib when he said he was 'open' and didn't react fast enough to actually catch the ball but I'd imagine he's at least capable of catching a ball that's lobbed at a decent speed when prepared; otherwise his participation in the football game would have been more laughable than it was. Also fencing/weight lifting skills as far as I know have no correlation to reflectively catching balls during unrelated conversational attempts to recruit someone into an elective club.

He didn't react fast enough because that was in the script, not because the character as he is now wouldn't be able to. The throw wasn't hard to catch at all. The classes and physical activity that Kurt was shown to take routinely at NYADA would've improved his co-ordination, strength, agility. The way he threw his hands up and tucked his head down was the proverbial "I don't know what to do here" which is unbelievable to me. It's all in service of the stupid story with putting him back in his high school role.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

He didn't react fast enough because that was in the script, not because the character as he is now wouldn't be able to.

Possibly but considering the amount of effort put into the show as of late re editing of scenes that could have started as a blooper with one of the 'highschool jock extras' throwing a ball around for veracity and hitting the actor and they went we're super lazy let's make Kurt look stupid again.

Everyone from Glee Club 1.0 having the time during college/post highschool life to recruit and mentor a large group of unknowns into some semblance of competitive shape by Sectionals is ludicrous. Rachel's whole spiel about the arts being important is undermined by the student populace of Mckinley high NOT GIVING A DAMN. The only people interested in Glee were the Incest Twins and Dalton dropout. Roderick was press ganged into it and Spencer will probably be pressured into it.

This is what happens when you don't let characters be characters and you treat them like set pieces where you move them about as you will. It's hard to care about their journeys because they will be randomly disrupted as plot demands for no reason and usually assassinating the prime motivation of the character in the process eg Rachel abandoning Broadway after a month because she was BORED.

P. S where is Emma ? how is she dealing with a squishy mess machine ?

Edited by wayne67

But Will and Emma are still married, right? I thought I didn't see a wedding ring on Will's hand at one point, and having all the students over for dinner seemed odd for a married guy with a small child. It was just funny she didn't get a throwaway mention (as basically the show's Maris from "Frasier" now).

Not saying I need to see her -- I just want to know she still exists!

But Will and Emma are still married, right? I thought I didn't see a wedding ring on Will's hand at one point, and having all the students over for dinner seemed odd for a married guy

with a small child. It was just funny she didn't

get a throwaway mention (as basically the

show's Maris from "Frasier" now).

Yes, they're still married. Will was definitely wearing a ring in the episode.

We'll

get to see them both with Daniel in episode 7.

This show has never been good about explaining character absences, so I didn't think much of it. Remember how Joe and Sugar disappeared for months and then suddenly came back? Oh," Glee." LOL

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 1

Possibly but considering the amount of effort put into the show as of late re editing of scenes that could have started as a blooper with one of the 'highschool jock extras' throwing a ball around for veracity and hitting the actor and they went we're super lazy let's make Kurt look stupid again.

I don't think the line about 'that's why I was the kicker which was a pivotal moment  etc. about the jocks joining the Glee Club (something like that) after he missed the catch was improvised, it was too long for that and also consistent with where the scene was going. But there were bloopers left in, that's true - obviously the f-up by Naya, Heather and Dianna during Mustang Sally, and Chord bumping into Dianna by accident.

Edited by fakeempress

Well, in the Kurt scene, the ball drop was tied to the script and the lines of his pitching the GC as a place for the jocks, and set up the whole scene that followed. I don't see how it can be a blooper. 

But I agree with the rest of what wayne67 says about the ludicrous premise.

Edited by fakeempress

EXACTLY. I mean I don't care that Mike wasn't in the group but it feels weird that they're going on about how close they are and they seemingly forgot one of their friends.

Emma's absence during the first couple of episodes just made me wonder if that pamphlet thing was still a thing.

To be fair it's hard to care much about any of these characters lives as continuity isn't really a strong suit of Glee nor is logic.

For instance if a highschooler slushied an adult that doesn't even get paid from that school, Rachel would be within her rights to sue that child for assault or damages. Then again this is a student populace that doesn't seem to care overly about dogs or a pig pen so I struggle to see why letting them have a music program is so important when they probably all have Ipods anyway and can listen to music any time they want anyway.

It's hard to root for characters that are essentially sitcom characters that are never allowed to progress in their lives which is more problematic than usual because this is the time when their lives should be changing the most and yet their lives all appear static enough to drop everything to go hang out with their 'friends' at their old highschool. The ARTS appear to have done little to help these people grow as individuals.

I hate Kurt but I still pity the guy for having to be stuck with Rachel who can't even let her supposed best friend help co run the new Glee Club. I really wish that Rachel could pick herself up once in a while instead of everyone having to drop everything they're doing to prop her up again when she epically flails. Where's her grit, her determination to succeed ?

Must not think about plot in Glee or characterisation... or anything. That way lies madness.

• Love 2