Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Loser Like Me / S06.E02: Homecoming

Cranberry

I read somewhere that he sang it live, not sure if it's correct.

Okay.  WTF were they thinking letting Darren Criss sing the intro live if Lea Michele was singing prerecorded, or whatever you call it?  Even if he were a great singer (which, let's be honest, he's not going to change the world) he would still sound worse by contrast.  Seriously.  Why would they do that?  

• Love 1

She hopefully will  go back to Bway because she will see it is what  actually makes her happy and she didn't appreciate what she had while she had it and screwed it up.  Maybe she feel she owes it to hershelf to do it right this time if she can.

That's the scenario I am hoping for as well. What I don't want to see is Rachel becoming the new permanent Lima glee club teacher. Her enthusiasm is adorable, but I really hope it's not a permanent life decision.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I loved the Will/Rachel scenes in this episode. I know a lot of people didn't like how everyone was trying to cheer Rachel up instead of giving her tough love, but I think Matt and Lea play very well off each other.

• Love 3

They always play well because they're good actors.   Anytime you see Lea, Matt, Chris, Naya, Jane or Jayma on the screen the energy level just pops up, especially if they're interacting with each other.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
Why go back to something that made you miserable?

This should be said repeatedly in a group therapy session for most of the main characters.  Heck, this should be repeatedly yelled at Kurt every time he attempts to get back together with Blaine.  You broke up with him for a valid reason!  Try to remember that. 

• Love 4

Along with "You all hated high school. Leave and don't come back."

I keep wondering what the actors say to one another about these stupid scripts. The first season of Glee, 19 year old Colfer was open about the resentment he still harbored for the kids who made fun of him in high school. I would imagine some of that resentment has mellowed six years later, but I'm pretty damn sure that if Glee had crashed and burned during its first season, the last thing Colfer would have done was return to teach his HS drama club.

• Love 2

I keep wondering what the actors say to one another about these stupid scripts.

The first season of Glee, 19 year old Colfer was open about the resentment he still harbored for the kids who made fun of him in high school. I would imagine some of that resentment has mellowed six years later, but I'm pretty damn sure that if Glee had crashed and burned during its first season, the last thing Colfer would have done was return to teach his HS drama club.

Probably "how much are we getting paid to do this."

The youngest of the old newbies are about the age of Rachel/Kurt etc and I don't see any of them leaving Hollywood because they got binned by a TV show. Almost every TV star has that story.

Edited by jtrattray

On a completely different note, the whole Jane vs. Warblers plot just didn't make sense to me at all, especially since NOBODY said the one argument that really made sense as to why Jane might not be the best addition to the Warblers - they're a boys group. They have an all-male sound. So, yes, the addition of one girl, especially one with a powerful and dominant voice like Jane's, is going to massively change their MO. There's a reason why there are either mixed choirs or all-female or all-male choirs, because male and female voices sound very different and achieve different kinds of sound based on how they mix together. I've sung in a mixed choir and in a all-female choir and nobody would have even bothered to think about one single guy joining the all-female choir. It would have completely changed the sound.

Yeah, there was a bit of a battle between "Yay, Equality" me and "Old Choir Member" me on that one. The advantage the latter had: the only reason I've tolerated the Warblers on my screen over the last however many years is that I do like their harmonies. I generally enjoy their songs, even though I resent the time they take away from other stories.

The former can take solace in knowing she's probably in a better environment for her talents. Not that we'll have the chance to really see that through in the abbreviated mess being promised.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I think Matt Morrison was the only one who genuinely liked high school. I would have too if I were him, though.

Wasn't there something Matt said during the Inside Actors' Studio or am I mixing things up? In any case, I don't remember, what has Matt said about his HS?

Don't know much about the stories of the rest. I think Darren liked his HS experience too. 

the only reason I've tolerated the Warblers on my screen over the last however many years is that I do like their harmonies. I generally enjoy their songs, even if I resent the time they take away from other stories.

The problem for me is that it was the Season 2  had a secret weapon: the Tufts acapella  group The Belzebubs whose arrangements that made the Warblers stand out... (I always felt Darren should send them a weekly residual check for his career) and once the Bubs were gone, that was it.

After that vocally they didn't stand out anymore, and they sounded much more generic and disposable.

I think Matt Morrison was the only one who genuinely liked high school. I would have too if I were him, though.

Matt was a big theatre kid in HS but also ie popular as he was both Prom King and Class President.  Yup, he was THAT guy.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

I am responding to Spencer's character from the vantage point of being a 49 year old lesbian. The attitude he expressed, that there's no reason for solidarity among gay people, that being gay doesn't define you, and that he doesn't owe gay culture anything, is a real controversy in the real life LGBT community. So I appreciated seeing Glee air it, whatever my own opinion is about whether it's right or wrong. It's inside baseball for LGBT people, and a very authentic representation of something many of us talk about among ourselves but rarely see in the mainstream media. That's one thing Ryan Murphy is consistently good at: sticking authentic community reference points into mainstream-consumption media-- and it's great, makes his shows feel like they are actually partially directed towards us, and not towards everyone but us with a tiny glance at us on the side.

Though a 2 year gap is not really a generation, there is a definite split between old timers like myself who grew up before our civil rights were even on the radar, and kids growing up now in the pockets of the world where they can take a date to prom, get married, and expect some protection from bullying, job-housing-medical-other discrimination, and loss of family through shunning. And despite how evil Sue's administration is, she has consistently come down on the side of not tossing the queers out on the street along with the arts they rode in on. She actually prefers "Porcelain" to Rachel and Will!

RE whether Kurt is a gay-defined character, I agree with those who have listed his many stories that were not gay-based (dead mom, ailing dad, wants to get out of Lima and into Showbiz, having slushies thrown at him for being a gleek, fighting for a solo at competitions, crushes/dating/break-ups). The problem for the show, as for real live queers, is that a gay character on tv who's having a dating plotline will often be thought to be having a gay plotline, where a straight character having the same story is just having a love story, not a "heterosexual plot"-- but also, for those of us who live in a world that's not as post-gay as Spencer thinks, often for us those same stories do have a "gay-influence"-- because for instance, the way Rachel was bullied for being a gleek, Kurt was bullied for being a gleek AND being gay. So there often is a dual level at which these things operate. The pain of an unrequited crush may be universal, but the feeling that you might be murdered for having the crush in the first place adds another dimension to the pain. Similarly, when there are only a few gay kids to choose from, dating becomes much more high pressure and high stakes than when you're surrounded by hundreds of kids who are hetero like you and if one doesn't work out, there is at lest a theoretical possibility of meeting someone more compatible.

RE the Warblers being a male choir, I think more importantly it's a school choir. In a school where there are enough kids of both genders to have two choirs segregated by gender, the debate about whether to have separate or mixed groups is pedagogically sound (some studies show that students learn better when certain subjects are taught in a single gender context-- not all subjects, by the way, but some, and I don't know if show choir would qualify or not). But in a school where it's the Warblers or nothing, I think the school has an obligation to all students, and excluding a girl from choir because it would change the group's sound is not a good enough excuse. It's not like a mixed gender show choir is not capable of functioning and being awesome. Yes, it's different than what they're used to, but so what? That's the way it goes when you want to provide opportunities for all enrollees in the school.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 9

Wasn't there something Matt said during the Inside Actors' Studio or am I mixing things up? In any case, I don't remember, what has Matt said about his HS?

Don't know much about the stories of the rest. I think Darren liked his HS experience too.

You know those people in high school who were really popular and also unfairly talented in several areas? Matt was one of them. It's no wonder that he enjoyed the experience.

I had forgotten about Darren liking high school

The problem for me is that it was the Season 2 had a secret weapon: the Tufts acapella group The Belzebubs whose arrangements that made the Warblers stand out... (I always felt Darre

n should send them a weekly residual check for

his career) and once the Bubs were gone, that

was it.

After that vocally they didn't stand out anymore, and they sounded much more generic and disposable.

Matt was a big theatre kid in HS but also ie popular as he was both Prom King and Class

President. Yup, he was THAT guy.

Matt was also an athlete. He actually got offered a scholarship to play soccer at the Air Force Academy. Basically, he kind of had the dream high school experience.

You know those people in high school who were really popular and also unfairly talented in several areas? Matt was one of them. It's no wonder that he enjoyed the experience.

I had forgotten about Darren liking high school

Matt was also an athlete. He actually got offered a scholarship to play soccer at the Air Force Academy. Basically, he kind of had the dream high school experience.

Yes, he shared as much on some British talk show or some BTS clip--to much side-eyeing by Chris Colfer and Cory Monteith.

I always felt for Cory when he got those how does this compare to your high school experience questions in that it was usually awkward for both him and the interviewer when he answered. Early on he tried to talk around it but after a little while he just straight up said he didn't go.

• Love 1
On a completely different note, the whole Jane vs. Warblers plot just didn't make sense to me at all, especially since NOBODY said the one argument that really made sense as to why Jane might not be the best addition to the Warblers - they're a boys group. They have an all-male sound. So, yes, the addition of one girl, especially one with a powerful and dominant voice like Jane's, is going to massively change their MO. There's a reason why there are either mixed choirs or all-female or all-male choirs, because male and female voices sound very different and achieve different kinds of sound based on how they mix together. I've sung in a mixed choir and in a all-female choir and nobody would have even bothered to think about one single guy joining the all-female choir. It would have completely changed the sound.

Exactly. What pissed me off was the uber-PC party line spouted by the rest of the characters on the issue, like Will telling Blaine "you can't be on the wrong side of history on this". WHAT WRONG SIDE, DUDE. It's not a racism or sexism issue...it's an all-male sound vs. an all-male-except-for-the-one-girl-who-wants-solos sound issue. And Rachel's "I'm a woman first" and how she just had to help Jane break this totally understandable barrier. Is it really being on the wrong side of history to have things like all-male frats and all-female sororities? Private schools? Choirs? Private clubs and organizations?

• Love 2

Sigh. That interview was years ago. He has since mentioned( back in 2013) that he used to be ignorant about how damaging bullying can be to people. That probably explains a lot about the interview posted upthread. I think by now he has a better understanding of why high school was unpleasant for some people and would hopefully be more sensitive when discussing it.

Matt does answer that question a lot better now though so I think that he eventually did read the room.

He went to a public performing arts high school and says today something like 80% of what he knows today (acting/singing/dancing) came from that school. He still today goes back there and uses his celebrity to help them raise funds.

To get back on topic, does anyone else think that all of this Kurt and Blaine drama is unfair to Dave? I know he was awful to Kurt in high school, but he made amends for it, and now really seems to like Blaine. I don't think he deserves to have Blaine treat him shabbily.

• Love 1

To get back on topic, does anyone else think that all of this Kurt and Blaine drama is unfair to Dave? I know he was awful to Kurt in high school, but he made amends for it, and now really seems to like Blaine. I don't think he deserves to have Blaine treat him shabbily.

I think if Karofsky was truly sorry about what he did to Kurt in high school he would never be with Blaine. I think he feels bad, but at no point has he ever given up anything to make up for what he did to Kurt. It's mostly been about what he wants.

He and Blaine are kinda made for each other.

• Love 2

I don't get why Matt's answer was bad? Would it have been better if he'd started off apologising for it? Someone somewhere must have had a not-so-bad time of it, right? Or is the assumption that if he wasn't being bullied that's because he was or enabled one?

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 2
That probably explains a lot about the interview posted upthread. I think by now he has a better understanding of why high school was unpleasant for some people and would hopefully be more sensitive when discussing it.

Hopefully better than Darren who in an interview last year said since his HS was great, but IIRC  that  cliques and high school hierarchies were sometimes in people's heads.  (rolling eyes)

Some, like Lea, seemed so wrapped up in the arts professionally at a young age that  they hardly had time for normal HS.

The problem is that Darren is not a good enough actor to convey conflicting emotions.  Karofsky is clearly a rebound.   The SL shows how fucked up the writers are, by casually mentioning from Karofsky  how Kurt forgave Karofsky and comparing it to how Blaine should forgive Kurt...WTF:?

Edited by caracas1914

I don't get why Matt's answer was bad? Would it have been better if he'd started off apologising for it? Someone somewhere must have had a not-so-bad time of it, right? Or is the

assumption that if he wasn't being bullied that's

because he was or enabled one?

I think it was Cory and Chris's reactions to it that made it " bad." I think if they hadn't been visibly uncomfortable, it might 've been okay.

FWIW, I never hated Matt for that interview because I honestly think he was just oblivious rather than deliberately hurtful. With that being said, he could've toned it down a bit since Chris 's and Cory 's high school experiences weren't as pleasant.

I think it was Cory and Chris's reactions to it that made it " bad." I think if they hadn't been visibly uncomfortable, it might 've been okay.

FWIW, I never hated Matt for that interview because I honestly think he was just oblivious rather than deliberately hurtful. With that being said, he could've toned it down a bit since Chris 's and Cory 's high school experiences weren't as pleasant.

You're not suggesting that you did hate Matt for another interview are you, because that doesn't seem possible to me! :p

I'm just gently teasing, Sara, it's no secret which actor or actors most of us here stan!

You're not suggesting that you did hate Matt for another interview are you, because that doesn't seem possible to me! :p

I'm just gently teasing, Sara, it's no secret which actor or actors most of us here stan!

It's fine. Ha ha I like Matt, but I'm fully aware that he has a tendency to stick his foot in his mouth.

Matt's best interviews are the ones where he gets to be funny. The one where he was interviewed along with Kevin and Jenna will never fail to make me laugh.

I watched their scenes trying to figure out if they were really a couple or engaging in Glee-level shenanigans of trying to make Kurt jealous. I felt like Dave was way dorkier than I remembered, so I thought maybe it was because he was just acting like he was with Blaine, plus Blaine seemed a little put off by him, but then that scene of them at the end of the ep seemed to say they're really a couple.

I'm sure the show will have Dave magically meet someone the second Blaine and Kurt (not spoiling, just pretty sure we all know how this will end up) get back together so Blaine won't look bad.

Edited by Myrna123

These writers are so bad,   Blaine tells Kurt they need to move on, accuses him of being jealous of him and Dave, and yet per spoilers

moves in with Dave in Episode 3, so in Episode 4 Kurt informs Blaine (obviously trying to move on) he's trying online dating and meeting someone and suddenly Blaine realizes Kurt is the love of his life.

He needs to get a refund on his therapy sessions.

• Love 3

That looked particularly creepy when Jane was doing Tightrope.

I've never understood what's so hard about finding 19-22 year olds who can do the Warbler step touch. They're in LA. A dozen more come off the bus every day. It's not a demanding role. I'm sure most of the new kids just landing in town would love the job, and we wouldn't have balding high school students in blazers. People give the casting so much credit on this show, but I don't really see it past a few lucky breaks in the main cast.

Also, Max looks 40 if a day. I'm not sure what products he uses, but they won't be giving him an endorsement deal. Are we really supposed to believe he's 20. Mark too. They desperately need a much bigger time jump to sell these people as plausibly the ages they're supposed to be. Thinking a few have aged really well sells a lot better than thinking some look like the parents of others supposedly the same age.

Along with "You all hated high school. Leave and don't come back."

Please.  How is this not obvious? I can't even start to understand why Quinn would ever go back. She escaped. She's at Yale living the life. Why is she putting on a cheerleading uniform of any sort and spending time in Lima? If I were her I'd destroy all social media that had any evidence I was ever there and be off to my awesome future. It's not like Sue (or Will) was any great supporter of hers who she'd have great nostalgia for having helped her get to where she is. She did that herself in one of the few good choices this show allowed her when she wasn't being crazy.

I know I'm supposed to see Rachel as an underdog, but all I see is giant screw up. That's a different thing. She torpedoed herself. She's not somebody facing impossible odds. She had everything and binned it. I have little to no sympathy for her pain. Her dads' divorce is just piling on and as transparent as that time Burt got cancer so Kurt would forgive Blaine. Blatant manipulation doesn't work on me.

I'm also annoyed Tina continues to be a joke, but I've mostly given up there. She's going to be the butt of jokes until she inevitably gets paired back up with Mike due to lack of any other idea of what to do with her character than hand her a boy. At least he has nice abs? 

I'll also echo what many others have said, these are the new kids we needed instead of the 2.0 versions. Too bad they showed up in a truncated season where I resent them taking time away from the final goodbyes to the characters I've loved for several seasons.

• Love 1

I'm also annoyed Tina continues to be a joke, but I've mostly given up there. She's going to be the butt of jokes until she inevitably gets paired back up with Mike due to lack of any other idea of what to do with her character than hand her a boy. At least he has nice abs? 

If they do get her back with Mike at least she can bow out with a smug grin having ended up with the hottest guy in the room. And one who hasn't been round her friends, not something Quinn, Santana, or whoever ends up with Sam can say!

My favorite takeaway from these two perfectly watchable (a huge compliment for this show these days) episodes?  Seeing Dot-Marie Jones upgraded to regular in the credits.  (But what's up with the new "Fox presents" pre-title now?)

Edited by twotrey

Was it ever clearly established that Rachel broke her contract for Funny Girl?   Remember the producer told her that another misstep and he would fire her, sue her and, in effect, have her blackballed in the major theater community.  If she did just bail out she would facing even heavier lawsuits that would have her in financial shackles for years and might be able to work in dinner theaters or cruise ship non-Equity productions if she was lucky.  Maybe her high school is as good as it's gonna get for a long, long time.

I always felt for Cory when he got those how does this compare to your high school experience questions in that it was usually awkward for both him and the interviewer when he answered. Early on he tried to talk around it but after a little while he just straight up said he didn't go.

It was nice he finally got a diploma later on. 

My favorite takeaway from these two perfectly watchable (a huge compliment for this show these days) episodes?  Seeing Dot-Marie Jones upgraded to regular in the credits.  (But what's up with the new "Fox presents" pre-title now?)

I was wondering about the Fox presents too.   You would think they wouldn't want their name associated with now.

For years viewers have likely been SO fed up with the show, and Rachel as it's proxy, that they've probably DREAMED of seeing her humiliated and brought low. The problem is the actual implementation of that wasn't really either amusing OR even felt that heartfelt and deep.

That said, the actual episodes AROUND that were pretty okay.

I almost wish Glee had gone harder skewering Rachel's show as it was clearly a Glee parallel.

Carrot Top as Artie wasn't enough of a skewering for you?  Carrot Top as ANYTHING is a skewering.

So is Blain attracted to anything with a penis. Don't mean to judge harshly, but he goes from the extremely effeminate to the wildly obese. In reality he should be attracting someone more like himself. Can you see Darrin Criss and Ross Mathews together?

In the last scene when Blaine was in the bleachers and karofsky had his arm around him - I thought Blaine looked very uncomfortable. At the end of all the discussions - interpretations - and bshin - it's entertainment. We all are back chair quarterbacks - but we continue watching. I enjoyed Homecoming more than I have any of the other shows in a long time.

I have mixed feelings about the premiere,

I liked it depsite myself; it was kinda all over the place, tone-and-style-wise. 

I liked the intro of the new students (Roderick, the twins and Jane [and even "Post-Modern Gay"] are all potentially excellent additions to the cast.  BUT, it just makes me mad that the last batch of "New Students" is unjustly maligned; they all tried their best but were saddled with recycled plotlines and pigeon-holed into archetypes that did them no favors. (I really miss Blake Jenner and his shoulders....)

I'm gald they attempting to "retro-fit" Rachel; after the horror of the last 2 season, I'm glad they're trying to bring her back to her roots a bit.  And I liked that they had a Finn-reference that seemed to fit the scene without being overly cloying and artificial.

Jane's performance of "Tightrope" in particular really blew me away, and her interaction with the Warblers was quite charming.

While I like both Darren Criss and Max Adler, I sadly read absolutely zero chemistry between the two. (I also liked that Kurt instantly assumed it was Sebastian Smythe; they could have TOTALLY done a meta-joke however, where Sebastian hit it big with a TV series since we last saw him...)

Okay, maybe I do understand why Rachel went back home after that one setback to her career.  However, it is kind of unrealistic that a woman as determined as Rachel to make a career in show business would just up and go home after the failure of her TV show instead of picking herself up and try to find another gig.  But, hey, she's young and she's not use to failure after doing so well at first.  In my opinion, she shouldn't have gone home to Lima.  But then, we wouldn't have the last season of "Glee" then would we?

Okay, I understand why Blaine and Kurt broke up.  Another totally contrived break-up from the writers of this Show that's stupid and unbelievable.  Kurt got cold feet; I understand that.  But you know looking at Blaine's totally devastated face was so heartbreaking.  What I don't understand is Blaine and Karofsky hooking up!  Yuck!  Total YUCK!  I felt like Kurt when Kurt ran to the bathroom to cry and probably puke off camera too!  I know Kurt was crying because Blaine had found someone else; but I think Kurt was crying also because he was totally disgusted with Blaine hooking up with Karofsky!  BLECH!

Still, it was so nice to see the old gang together again.  I was so happy to see Will talking to his little baby and I felt he had become totally content with his personal life.  I am glad for him.  Nice to see the old Glee club come back to try and bring a new Glee club to McKinley High.

I think the chubby kid with the headphones is a really good singer.  His voice was mesmerizing.  The tough gay kid I like because he seems very strong and he stood up to Sue.  You know he's going to be part of the Glee club soon, whether he likes it or not.

The thing that I don't like, that I've never liked is Sue Sylvester.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore Jane Lynch and I thought she did a wonderful turn as Charlie's therapist in "Two and a Half Men".  I just can't stand her character as Sue.  I hate all that insulting shit that comes out of her mouth.  If I don't continue watching this dying show for anything else, I would watch it in hopes that someone will take down Principal Sue Sylvester.

It occurs to me that Mr Bad Attitude Gay Jock would have made a better and more believable younger brother for Puck. Sweet, babyfaced Jacob never really worked as a womanizing bad boy the way they did it, but if they'd made him a gay jock and therefore ambivalent about Glee for that reason, it might have worked better and created a more interesting dynamic as well as a more interesting character.

• Love 2

It occurs to me that Mr Bad Attitude Gay Jock would have made a better and more believable younger brother for Puck. Sweet, babyfaced Jacob never really worked as a womanizing bad boy the way they did it, but if they'd made him a gay jock and therefore ambivalent about Glee for that reason, it might have worked better and created a more interesting dynamic as well as a more interesting character.

Funny I said in the head canon I never thought Jake was straight. And yeah he looked to sweet to be a bad boy. Also his mom was played by Aisha Tyler, I have a hard time believing she would raise a 'bad boy'.

The thing that I don't like, that I've never liked is Sue Sylvester.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore Jane Lynch and I thought she did a wonderful turn as Charlie's therapist in "Two and a Half Men".  I just can't stand her character as Sue.  I hate all that insulting shit that comes out of her mouth.  If I don't continue watching this dying show for anything else, I would watch it in hopes that someone will take down Principal Sue Sylvester.

Isn't that the point of Sue?  Or at least it was originally supposed to be, before they went soft with the character?