Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Makeover Week

The contestants get makeovers from fashion guru Tim Gunn and hairstylist Ken Paves, and then they're reunited with loved ones on a rooftop overlooking the Los Angeles skyline. Included: a performance by Gavin DeGraw.

Question is:  Was the "gift" from Tim Gunn (sure, it was all Tim's idea -- not so much) of removing the yellow line always planned -- or -- did they only do that after the actual weigh-in and discovered that everyone's numbers were embarrassingly low and needed a save ?

I missed the end of the comeback canyon segment -- who won ?  Or is that the big reveal next week as part of Bob's return ?

Plus, It seems a little late in the season for a non-elimination week.

Rob has never had conditioner in his hair before -- really ?

• Love 1

Question is:  Was the "gift" from Tim Gunn (sure, it was all Tim's idea -- not so much) of removing the yellow line always planned -- or -- did they only do that after the actual weigh-in and discovered that everyone's numbers were embarrassingly low and needed a save ?

I missed the end of the comeback canyon segment -- who won ?  Or is that the big reveal next week as part of Bob's return ?

No they didn't show it! That's why I was so pissed! It is the big reveal next week! I guess the twist will be they thought they were all safe but probably two of them will end up going home when the winner of Comeback Canyon comes back and beats them out! I have a feeling it must be Scott, or why else all the buildup? Woody only left a week before. At least I hope so. And if you recall, Scott really shouldn't have been sent home. He was a victim of the Yellow line voting. I think that was the week somebody(I think Toma) gained weight but they sent Scott home cause the other guy "needs to be here more"- right. In reality it was because he was the biggest competition So Scott coming back would really bite their you know what's. I like Woody, but it would just be boring if he came back.

• Love 2

I hope Scott comes back. Woody was being a you know what. The only one I can tolerate is Scott. The makeovers were okay. I did turn the station when the one started singing. Why do they have to keep using the same theme every season. I think the persons who decided on the one hour episodes deserves a big raise or bonus. I cannot stomach two hours of this crap.

I hope Scott comes back. Woody was being a you know what. The only one I can tolerate is Scott.

That fake squabble between Woody and Scott was bit much.

The makeovers were okay.

Does Toma have an aversion to razors ? He would look so much better (and look younger) clean shaven.

• Love 1

That fake squabble between Woody and Scott was bit much.

Does Toma have an aversion to razors ? He would look so much better (and look younger) clean shaven.

Woody isn't good enough.  He shouldn't even be thinking about beating Scott.  We shouldn't be talking about it because Woody isn't good enough.  You shouldn't be writing about it, that's milarky.  Woody isn't good enough yet.  He's close, but close don't mean s***

• Love 1

Sonya looked the best in my opinion. Of course, the fact that she's my favorite may influence that opinion. The rest, well, meh. Nice & cleaned up, but nothing amazing. I always cry during make over week because I'm a pushover & a social crier. Woody's family made me cry the most followed by Lori's.

Btw, I apologize for any confusion with me calling Rob Kermit in last week's episode. I'm still having trouble remembering these people & Rob's voice sounds like a angry version of Kermit the Frog to me, hence Angry Kermit. I was quite disappointed that we didn't get a rage fit this episode. They never cease to make me laugh. I thought we might get one when he saw his weight loss number, but sadly no.

Speaking of not knowing these folks, when Toma was going through his makeover I has no clue who he was. I can remember Sonya without effort but everyone else takes some time for me to recall or I have to Google.

Stupid stupid stupid on the Surprise! from Tim Gunn. How lame. And double lame on holding back the returnee from Comeback Craphole. Sigh. Biggest Loser you never cease to not meet my low expectations.

They all looked ok but no one looked spectacular. Maybe it is because they were all so heavy to begin with the new clothes and looks just make it clear that they all need to lose a good amount more. The women in particular were dressed in a manner that made it darn clear they had a way to go. I am guessing that everyone could stand to lose another 50 or so pounds. Normally at this time there are a few people who seem to be close to their final weight and look amazing. Toma was the closest but he still has a way to go.

Will Rob even be in the 200's at the final weigh in? Sonja is at 178, I think, and she is short. Lori has a way to go. Yikes.

I am glad that they have weeks were they are not losing huge numbers. It makes me hopeful that they have finally changed some of the bad habits that were leading to the huge numbers. But I also think some of the smaller numbers are because some of the contestants don't really give a crap, I am looking at Rob and Lori.

I do think they did away with the yellow line because it was a short "week" and they did the makeovers so that they did not have as much time to work out. I do miss the longer make over week fun. I want more Tim damnit.

• Love 1

Once Rob squeaked over the yellow line I didn't care about the outcome. Nobody else has "gain all the weight back and then some" written all over themselves as much as he does.  I was kind of hoping Toma would go with the muttonchops look...

• Love 2

Ugh, a cliffhanger. And I have to admit, although I like the shorter episodes, I do miss having more time for the makeovers & reunions with family and friends. I thought Sonya looked really good, although her red carpet dress was better than her "photo shoot dress."

Like Sarah, I was amused at how long it took Woody to catch on about Comeback Canyon. You could almost hear the rusty gears in his brain creaking.

• Love 2

I'd do Toma, yes I would.

Why did Tim put 200+ Lori in a dress made entirely of various Spanx woven together??

I was underwhelmed by the amount of gushing emotion displayed with Rob and his brother's reunion. family motto: "Let's not talk, let's eat."

Speaking of gushing emotion, Man, can Woody now go forward now and have one thought that is not about his wife, do something for himself that is not about his wife or about taking care of everyone else's emotions about his wife? Forward, Woody, forward.

Scott--hmmm we're not such a grand,family man, all American group leader now, are we?  The real truth comes out.  I always KNEW there was something I wasn't crazy about behind his genial demeanor.  He always seemed a touch smarmy to me, or something.

SONYA FORGET THE BOYS YOU GOT A PRETTY AND CARING BFF RIGHT THERE GO FOR IT!

• Love 2

Scott--hmmm we're not such a grand,family man, all American group leader now, are we?  The real truth comes out.  I always KNEW there was something I wasn't crazy about behind his genial demeanor.  He always seemed a touch smarmy to me, or something.

THANK YOU.  He's always come off to me as extraordinarily smug and last night was over the top smugness.

However, the best parts of this episode (and the last episode too, now that I think about it) are watching Lori and Sonya together.  When the stylists pointed out that Lori had 5 gold medals and Sonya cheered for her and then Sonya joked about wearing her saran-wrapp to the finale, you could see that the two of them have developed a genuine friendship and have real affection for each other.  That was very sweet to watch.

• Love 1

THANK YOU.  He's always come off to me as extraordinarily smug and last night was over the top smugness.

However, the best parts of this episode (and the last episode too, now that I think about it) are watching Lori and Sonya together.  When the stylists pointed out that Lori had 5 gold medals and Sonya cheered for her and then Sonya joked about wearing her saran-wrapp to the finale, you could see that the two of them have developed a genuine friendship and have real affection for each other.  That was very sweet to watch.

Lori get her ass kicked...she got her ass   kicked.  It was sickening.  She had 18 minutes on screen, the first 18 minutes, she turns the food over, 1 for a pound, the other will set up another pound.  

Was Ken Paves wearing a clip in top piece?   The hair was a different color underneath.

Ugh, Sonya is a natural dark brunette.   Why that icky red/blonde shade on her?   Also, they obviously clipped some top hair on her, but didn't bother to style  and cut the piece to integrate in her hair.    Poor thing has helmet head.   She is looking really good, though. 

It looked like Laurie got the clip ins too, but unlike Sonya, she took her extensions out back at the ranch.   It seems she got a body wave, but what she really needed was a good 3-4  inches whacked off.    Her skin just looks so dry and wrinkled, and she's still Eyeore.   Adorable kid, though.

Toma looked great, but that's just standard man grooming he could have done himself.   Ditto for Scott.

Now that Woody has referred to himself as Woody, he can get his stupid, self important, buggy eyed ass off my TV.   Too bad his Fred Flintstone legs and side moobs  having ass is going to  be booted by Scott, who I don't much like either.     Scott is really the only one who can be ready as an "after" in the time left, since Toma is very short  and still has a lot of flab around his midsection.    Both women still look like "befores" about two  months into the process,  and  Rob is just a no based on his creepy personality.     Woody is a creepy ass, too.     I'm going with Scott and Toma.

Bob's dramatic! entrance next week silhouetted in the doorframe made him look like the Hobbit.    Don't think that was what he was going for. 

Once Rob squeaked over the yellow line I didn't care about the outcome. Nobody else has "gain all the weight back and then some" written all over themselves as much as he does. 

It seemed to me that this was honestly the reason behind the yellow line drop. I bet the producers were floored that there's a chance Rob could squeak into the finale and no one, not us, not them, not the other contestants, wants that. I wouldn't be surprised if next week they tweak things to try to get him sent home, especially now that Comeback Canyon is finished.

I was surprised how hot Woody's son was.  Clearly he has a workout routine.  Woody should be able to work out with his son once he gets home, which I would think would help a ton because I have to think he's going home next episode.  Scott's one of the bigger name contestants, so they probably want him in the finale.

• Love 1

I just finished watching. Randomly, and in no particular order...

It's hard for me to believe that these four ranchers are the ones that are left. Damien should have been a finalist. At least Lori seems to have lost her Eeyore look and demeanor. She looks great, and her little boy is adorable. But that blinding neon pink dress they had her in at first, my God. It looked like it should be paired with a "Frankie Says" T shirt. And did The Nation of Islam dress Toma? That bowtie, lol. I'm glad they got rid of those awful highlights in Rob's hair. He actually looked pretty well proportioned in that suit, with the new 'do. Good choice. Scott, of course, looks amazing. 

Woody? Jerky. Really disliked him this week. Punch your hands together some more, dumbass. I can't blame Scott for being irritated with him, since Woodblockhead voted him off the ranch to begin with. Suck it, Woody, Scott rocks.

WOW, Rob. I kind of felt bad for him. And Toma?? WTH. Have previous Makeovers been so close to the finale? It seems almost like producer subterfuge to schedule it like that. And nice yellow line/no yellow line surprise. These people still have weight to lose, producers, you could give them heart attacks! 

However..while all the ranch players' numbers sucked this week, Woody managed to lose 6 lbs..and he also had a makeover. Guess it was that "do or die" (dramatic, much?) situation. I am dying to know what Scott lost..and it better not be the weigh in!

One of the best parts of this show for me is how genuinely happy Ali is for the contestants, and disappointed when they don't do well. I still remember the original host, the one that used to be on Sabrina, and she really just stayed in host mode and never seemed to have any connection to the players. So I think Ali is a really good host for this particular show.

The makeover photo shoot is up on the Us Weekly site. 

I looked into the Biggest Loser bootcamp on their site, out of curiosity, although I already have a plan in place. For some reason I thought it was just a promotional play along at home thing. Nope, it is $99. Or three easy installments of $39. ($117.) Slick, NBC. But, I got this already. (And the three month DVD program I have was cheaper and can be used repeatedly.)

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

He did look younger, but I think he looks hotter now that he's growning the beard back.  And I hated the bowtie too.

I've already erased it, but what was Woody saying to Scott when I heard him say Damien?

I feel sorry for Woody, but want Scott to come back.

I'm wondering if Woody ever watched BL before, because he sure looked like he didn't recognize who Bob was.  Ha ha!

I must be in the minority, because I thought Scott was the one being rude and so forth in the Woody-Scott battle.  He's taking the 'Glory Day' trash talk a little serious in that gym.  If I remember right, Scott had the lowest weight loss the week he was voted off... and he clearly has the ability to lose the weight.  Toma seems rather depressed about his Dad's death - 9 years ago, and I think he did need to be there more.  Plus, it may have been a stragetic vote of the other players - they are playing to win, you know.  

Sonya  and Toma looked wonderful. Ron looked good - he still lacks self-confidance and it shows.  Lori looked ok. She's just got too leatherly of skin to look great.  Scott does look wonderful, and Woody looks good. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

Have previous Makeovers been so close to the finale? It seems almost like producer subterfuge to schedule it like that.

Maybe this was when they could schedule both Tim Gunn and Ken Paves. It could also be a sponsor issue; e.g. this was the number of contestants Kohl's was willing to outfit along with paying whatever they did for product placement.

I chuckle when Lori said she was excited to be in the one tabloid magazine. Nothing like being in a magazine where they talk about Kim Kardashian's sex life and big butt, and Jill Dilliard posting about her 200th day of being married.

If I remember right, Scott had the lowest weight loss the week he was voted off... and he clearly has the ability to lose the weight.  Toma seems rather depressed about his Dad's death - 9 years ago, and I think he did need to be there more.  Plus, it may have been a stragetic vote of the other players - they are playing to win, you know.  

But Toma actually gained a pound that week, IIRC, and should have been the one voted off. Nobody deserves to be there more than the others, and every one of them could come up with an excuse for not losing weight or gaining if they wanted to. The point in being there is to get over the excuses.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3

Yeah, I think Scott's whole "he voted me off, now he must PAY THE PRICE" business was a little ridiculous.  It's a GAME SHOW.  You can't get mad at the guy next to you when he's playing the game.

Besides, if Scott were being a little more strategic, you'd think he'd WANT to be the one to go home.  He doesn't have much left to lose and it's unlikely that he's going to be able to lose enough between the end of the ranch and the finale to win (unless he shows up looking desiccated and ill like last season's winner) - were I in that position, I'd damn sure want to lose the opportunity to go back to the ranch knowing full well that I'd be a serious contender for the at home prize.  

• Love 1

What I saw in the voting were people voting for their team members.  The players were shuffled to new teams but the alliance was still based on the old teams.  Toma came from the original white team while Scott came from the red team.  All the white team members voted for Toma to stay.  The red team members voted for Scott.  There were more white team members left.  Laurie was the only one from Jessie's team.  That week, I posted she was stupid for voting Scott to go since she and Scott were the only ones left on the new white team.  She also needed to let some of the original white team members go so that their alliance wasn't so strong.

• Love 2

IMO, there should be a goal set as to the final weight loss per contestant, and the one of the two left standing who is closest to their goal should be the winner.   If Scott's goal is 220 and he's at that weight before the finale, he just maintains. 

How many weeks left?    Lori and Sonya each need to lose 40-50, and Toma at least 40.   Scott could lose 20 and be done.    Hell, he could be done now.     I couldn't care less about that idiotic Woody and Rob. 

• Love 2

Scott helped his team for the week out quite a bit in the challenge the week he was voted off, and I think Woody came off a little pompous in voting him off over Toma, who gained weight. (The Voting Table of Doom does bring out the unlikable side of people.) That probably is something Scott picked up on and was annoyed by. If it fuels him, so much the better.

Scott looks much leaner, but he still looks like he has a bit to go around the waist, I don't know that that is just loose skin.

He is 6'6, one chart says his weight should be between 193 (!) and 235 lbs. Another calculator said his ideal healthy weight is 194, with a range of 172 and 215. Depending on his frame, which is large, I think, so he would be at the higher end of that. I hope he doesn't go too far. But it would be gratifying to me to see Woody/Bob Dole (as in, they both speak in the third person) to go home before Scott. 

• Love 1

Scott really looks almost done to me.  Those BMI calculators are unreliable for people with lots of muscle mass.  I think he could lose another 20 lbs or so, but I really wouldn't want to see him lose more than that.

Has the show ever addressed varying contestants' calorie intakes to account for gender, age, height, etc.?  If 6'6" former pro quarterback Scott is eating the same number of calories as 40 year-old 5'2" Sonya, it's no wonder he's losing so much more than everyone else.  I'm guessing at goal, he would need to eat at least 50% more than she would assuming approximately equivalent levels of physical activity.  

Bob's dramatic! entrance next week silhouetted in the doorframe made him look like the Hobbit.    Don't think that was what he was going for. 

I laugh at the mere suggestion of someone "in awe" of Bob.  That said, people in the world of The Biggest Loser seem to default to belonging to The Cult of Bob.

IMO, there should be a goal set as to the final weight loss per contestant, and the one of the two left standing who is closest to their goal should be the winner.

I think there needs to be some credit given to whomever has lost the largest percentage, but you could have a run-off between that person and anyone who met their goal; that would avoid a repeat of somebody coming back looking emaciated because it would only be a disadvantage to go to an unhealthy extreme.

• Love 1

I thought Scott started it, too.  I guess he still has that NFL arrogance.  As if Scott didn't have part in voting many others out.  I don't root for him because I feel he has the most access to everything required to lose weight on his own.

The makeovers of the women weren't as horrible as I expected.  Lori really needed those loose waves about her face to soften it up.  I usually hate when Paves automatically bleaches dark hair (and good God, what was on his head??), but it looked like Sonya had more highlights than a complete bleach job.

Toma does look good with facial hair, but his dimples look good uncovered.

• Love 1

I couldn't even understand what Scott and Woody were arguing about, all I know is I was rooting for Scott! I am sure Woody feels competitive with Scott, being that they were both football players but Scott was in the NFL and Woody played Arena ball. I'm sure his dream was to be in the NFL so he must resent that and resent Scott. I don't know how much more Scott has to lose. He looks pretty good to me now, but I would love to see him in the final four, or final three, whatever it ends up being.

• Love 1

I forgot to say, I felt so sorry for Sonya throughout all of this.  Sure, she was big, but really, she needed a stylist as much as she needed weight loss.  I felt terrible when she said she never would have gotten herself a nice haircut before losing the weight.  Frankly, it showed.  She seems to have horrible self-esteem issues.  There are plenty of bigger people who are in relationships.  A nice haircut, skillful makeup application and flattering clothes go a long way towards improving the appearance of anyone of any size.

The fact that she seemed not to have ever had any of these things, or to have thought about getting them for herself, seemed a sad commentary on just how far her self-esteem issues extended.  I hope she feels better about herself now.  But I think it might take more than just weight loss to turn this around.

• Love 3

Hi, I'm Alexandre and come from Kharkov, Ukraine. I'm very fond of this show and been watching it since 2011 (First I watched our first Ukrainian season, and then watched USA season 9 by random choice and was impressed). Later I watched season 11, and then all the rest seasons.

Also I'm very fond of making chart statistics and being responsible for making them in our Ukrainian forum.

General progress:

aAHnm7Fj8u0.jpg

Weight loss timeline:

XneZpNaX7Lw.jpg

Elimination history:

lwxAQ9A2P5o.jpg

Personally I'm rooting for Woody, Sonya and Scott (very sorry that Scott & Woody have to kick each other out). I'm indifferent to Toma, though don't mind if he wins it. I don't like Rob very much and suppose he can gain it all back after the end of the show. I also don't mind Lori but she's pulling out small numbers so I think it won't be fair for her to go into finale.

Sorry if I'm making some mistakes in the speech; my native language is Russian.

• Love 8

Well Zina was the very fist one to leave the ranch: the 50-year old black woman with not very long hair. And Andrea was the first Blue Team member to leave; in week 1 she walked to Jesse and said she was ready to go home. Later she took her words back, but at the elimination the rest of the team remembered it and voted her out.

• Love 2

Zina is a former Pro Tennis player who is currently coaching some very good up and coming American Women. They showed her running stairs with one of the Women she is coaching at the US Open. I believe that she was eliminated when she collapsed about two feet from Jessie on the Sand Dune and couldn't get up to make it to the top.

• Love 1

I felt so sorry for Sonya throughout all of this.  Sure, she was big, but really, she needed a stylist as much as she needed weight loss.  I felt terrible when she said she never would have gotten herself a nice haircut before losing the weight.  Frankly, it showed.  She seems to have horrible self-esteem issues.

I couldn't help but notice that everyone else had family members greet them at the makeover reveal and she (only?) had a friend.  I think there's got to be some family drama issues in the background there that aren't being focused on.  And, boy, does THAT show restraint on someone's part (probably Sonya's - I don't trust the producers to *not* take huge bites out of that piece of red meat!)

I forgot to say, I felt so sorry for Sonya throughout all of this.  Sure, she was big, but really, she needed a stylist as much as she needed weight loss.  I felt terrible when she said she never would have gotten herself a nice haircut before losing the weight.  Frankly, it showed.  She seems to have horrible self-esteem issues.  There are plenty of bigger people who are in relationships.  A nice haircut, skillful makeup application and flattering clothes go a long way towards improving the appearance of anyone of any size.

The fact that she seemed not to have ever had any of these things, or to have thought about getting them for herself, seemed a sad commentary on just how far her self-esteem issues extended.  I hope she feels better about herself now.  But I think it might take more than just weight loss to turn this around.

I can completely sympathize with Sonya.  I was not raised by a mom who paid any attention whatsoever to fashion and beauty.  As a result, I have no idea how to do stuff.  I rarely wear makeup or get my hair done.  Shopping for clothes and knowing how to build a wardrobe of flattering styles is completely foreign to me.  I don't know if this was how Sonya was raised but it seems as though it might be.  In my case, not having this knowledge can lead to self esteem issues.  When I'm in a group of women who look all put together, I feel very dowdy and out of place.  I think that if I had to opportunity that Sonya has of getting a makeover and probably some education in that department, my self esteem would jump by leaps and bounds.  I'm so happy for Sonya and I think she looks stunning.  She was always beautiful in my eyes.

• Love 1

Wow, those charts are helpful.   It really shows how lagging Lori is.   I'll scream if she wins.   Or bitch about it for awhile, or both.

Scott is literally 20 lbs away, just like I thought.   I suppose he can take it down by 40 to win, but more than 20 seems to be pushing it.   I think he's well below his playing weight now.    He doesn't have as much muscle as his playing days,   but I can't see him losing more than 20 lbs without looking gaunt. 

Sonya may be able to pull it off if she can lose 40 more lbs.    That would place her at 135,  which  would be about 10 lbs of boob, so just about right for her height.     Lori would need to lose 66 lbs to get to 160, and I don't think she has the time to pull it off.    

I'm rooting for Sonya.  Scott is close to goal and doesn't need to lose that much more.  I thought the same thing about Damian.  The others still have a lot to lose except for Jordan who also looked like he lost a lot of weight at home.

Lori would have to lose 40 lbs just to match what Sonya's done so far.

Lori is also much taller than Sonya, so who knows how much she really needs to lose compared to Sonya. For someone that short, Sonya was only 18 lbs lighter than Lori was at the start, and had a lot more to have to lose.

Based on numbers alone, looks like Rob is the one to beat. Then Scott, then Toma. Of course, all depending on body fat percentages. Scott FTW!

I wonder if they are going to address last years scandal by instituting some new rules so contestants can't lose too much weight.

I don't know about this.  Can someone share?

Based on numbers alone, looks like Rob is the one to beat.

Blergggg.  Can he manage to not gain the weight back before the filming of the finale????

Last years winner looked skeletal at the finale and people were concerned that she had pushed too far. Within a few weeks, she had put on about 10 pounds and looked a lot better. The scandal was whether or not they should put in some type of rule to prevent people from losing too much weight in order to insure the win. One suggestion was that each person have a drop dead healthy weight that if they got to that weight first and maintained it, they would win no matter what percentage of weight another competitor lost.

• Love 2