Type keyword(s) to search

Suspicious Minds: Unspoiled Speculation

This is a show of mysteries. When some are meant to be longer than just an episode, here's where we can discuss theories.

---------------------

After this latest episode-- The Eternity Injection--I have a theory on what seems trivial:

Potentially, that the "Odin"/ "Orion" car alarm maker is in the process of setting Alfredo up for some crime, as he will be the only one to crack the alarm.  If not the maker, then a Bad Person is behind this and is intending to frame Alfredo. Sherlock is not known as an associate of Alfredo's, so the Bad Person is going to be caught off-guard and that is how they eventually mess up.

Another potential of that is that Sherlock is getting played through a known associate, one who specifically is his sponsor, and for whom Sherlock respects and would feel a desire to protect.

That this starts as a silly, fun subplot is gravy because we want to see more about the devices and how Sherlock, and possibly Alfredo in conjunction with Holmes, figures out this seemingly "perfect" car alarm.

Or it's just a fun, silly subplot about wacky car alarms. ::shrugs:: Either way, I'm good because it's Elementary and my eyeballs get to watch it!

I'm wondering if this whole Sherlock depression thing is going to lead to Joan moving back in with him. I just don't know what they're going to do with Kitty.

• Love 1

Killing her off would be too predictable. I'd make her kill somebody in cold blood, maybe a rapist of some kind (because of her issues) and Sherlock and Joan would have to clean up the mess. Maybe the guy will even turn out to be innocent eventually, even.

That's pure speculation, of course. I do think something will happen to Kitty, though i'm not sure what exactly. The story needs a shake-up.

Killing her off would be too predictable. I'd make her kill somebody in cold blood, maybe a rapist of some kind (because of her issues) and Sherlock and Joan would have to clean up the mess. Maybe the guy will even turn out to be innocent eventually, even.

This is pure speculation, except that I have read about Kitty Winter in canon.  My guess is that Sherlock will try to solve the mystery of who killed the woman in the last scene of the Seed Money episode (the victim with marks on her back like Kitty.)  Sherlock will be very close to solving it when Kitty on her own will administer the killer/her perpetrator her brand of justice (throwing acid on his face or worse.)  Sherlock will feel that it is his fault he did not see this coming and hide Kitty with Mycroft so Kitty does not have to experience the consequences of this.  That's the last we will see of Kitty but Sherlock will twitch even more than now as he will live in fear the Gregson will find out and punch him again in the stomach.

(edited)

I was talking about the emerald ring, from tonight's episode, on the episode thread, and someone else was wondering as well. I told my husband that I was glad I wasn't alone. Then he said something that answered another question we'd wondered about during the episode. ( Spoiler-barred because while it is spec, it might have enough fact to the spec to be spoilery.)

The ring was shown and linked to the woman in the hospital and attic because the man she thought liked her so she asked him to call the cops? Yeah, that Joan's boss.

Again, I don't know if what my husband said is right, but some folks may feel spoiled if read before January 29th.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2
Then he said something that answered another question we'd wondered about during the episode.

Props to your husband, his speculation is brilliant.  This episode was packed so tight I have a feeling we would all pick up a lot more if we saw the episode a few more times, with the closed captioning on.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

Did I miss any mention of the ring?  What I am disappointed about is that it wasn't even used as a red herring. It was ::shoves jewelry clue in viewers faces:: / 'Look, here's that very ring!'/ 'here's the cops to save the  poor lady'/ 'Everyone's safe at the hospital!' It wasn't used to tie the missing woman to Gruner's trafficking sideline.

I know, I know: it was about Kitty and Sherlock and Joan. I get that, but it ended up being sloppy. Unless there are scenes or dialogue that was cut for time.

• Love 1

I thought that Sherlock figured that Gruner framed de Merville by planting the ring. And then ordering the Albanian guy on to kill de Merville to tie up loose ends but de Merville got away. And Joan didn't think so because why would he use sex slaves and Holmes was all, yeah, he totally would. And he was using Joan's phone to find out what Joan and Sherlock knew which is why he was able to get to de Merville first. It was in a conversation between Sherlock and Joan, I think right at the beginning. They didn't mention the ring explicitly, but I got the feeling that's where they were going with it. 

Did I miss any mention of the ring?  What I am disappointed about is that it wasn't even used as a red herring. It was ::shoves jewelry clue in viewers faces:: / 'Look, here's that very ring!'/ 'here's the cops to save the  poor lady'/ 'Everyone's safe at the hospital!' It wasn't used to tie the missing woman to Gruner's trafficking sideline.

I know, I know: it was about Kitty and Sherlock and Joan. I get that, but it ended up being sloppy. Unless there are scenes or dialogue that was cut for time.

The ring was there to clue us viewers into the idea that a new woman was now in the same place as the woman who had been raped, tortured and murdered, and whose corpse had been found at the pier.

It's like watching Hannibal Lector invite someone to his home by saying "I'd love to have you for dinner."  Later on we may see that person alive and commenting on the delicious meal they had but at the time we're all thinking "Holy shitballs, Hannibal's gonna eat that person!"  Like that.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

Actionmage, that's my guess. I really can't imagine who else would want Joan dead to the extent that they would poison her coffee in a coffeshop, and who also has the resources to pull something like that off. Moriarty is the only other person who jumps to mind who could, but she doesn't want Joan dead atm. And I thought that lady don was kind of a strange character and was somewhat shoehorned into the premiere--yet at the same time, the fact that they shelled out for Gina Gershon indicated they saw the role as important. If it is the lady don, that explains the casting as well as why the character seemed shoved into the premiere.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

As of the finale, we have Holmes pere on his way over and Alfredo and Sherlock three days out from their ordeals.

If Moriarity killed someone for killing Joan's bf/ attempting to kill Joan, what will she do about Oscar? I almost hope he survived just enough for Irene to get her licks in. No one messes with her boo!

I agree with the posters who think that Oscar did it independently, but a poster noted that someone paying Oscar and Oscar already planning on hurting Sherlock in this manner aren't mutually exclusive. 

But what about: What if the person willing to pay Oscar for the kidnapping was the disgruntled car security system guy? In another bid to discredit Alfredo, he insists that this axe-grinding junkie kidnap Alfredo-- not Joan?--in order to a) discredit the junkie ex-con who proved the car guy wrong and b) damage that snotty, obnoxious Brit that is leading the charge to protect Alfredo ( and the guy probably figures that Sherlock had something to do with the dozen car theft).  While we are here for Holmes, the world he lives in isn't. 

There's also been some discussion about who should play Papa Holmes and someone mentioned Timoth Dalton. I loved his turn as a wackadoo Russian criminal in Chuck. I don't think Mark Rylance would be all that good, though. I didn't find his Cromwell menacing enough. And given how Sherlock has described him as soulless and heartless (and it's how he's rich) then I need someone who is rather pitiless. 

With all that being said, I honestly believe that we will not see Papa Holmes. It will all happen off screen and we'll pick up months later. To be honest, I'd rather we never see Holmes Sr and instead just see the fallout of his visit. 

• Love 2

Hi! I'm a big Elementary fan and new at this forum. I want to share the idea that had been in my mind for a while...

I have my own idea for the next season premiere. I think that some of it could take place.

It turns out that Sherlock didn't relapse, despite getting very close to, but he actually ended up murdering Oscar in self defense. There was no evidence to prove that the murder wasn't self defense, but the police had their suspicions, causing him to be put under suspension and possibly face drug possession charge at least, since he had disposed of the narcotics that he had stolen before calling the police but it was later recovered with his fingerprints on it. He was not only facing legal charges, but was upset greatly over what had happened. Joan was the one to contact Sherlock's father, causing him to go back to New York and try to help Sherlock.

Due to an investigation and helped by his father's influence, Sherlock ended up getting cleared of all charges and being free to get back to work, but still decided-and was advised- to "take a break" from his work as a consultant and a detective, and started taking some psychiatric sessions.

The premiere episode opens in September, with Sherlock resuming his work, to an apparent dislike from his father, who, apparently, sees this situation as an opportunity to get Sherlock to move back to London (and yes, I know that the talk about that in season two was a ploy from Mycroft). Sherlock takes over the case that detective Bell and captain Gregson had been working on in the past, but had never solved: a young, healthy woman was found dead in her house; the cause of death hadn't been determined, and in weeks prior to the murder she had reported a suspicious man moving around her house at night, as well as hearing weird, whistle like noises under her bedroom window. Police had investigated those claims, but hadn't gotten very far. Shortly before her death, she had sent a text message to her sister, reading simply "A Speckled Band". That happened late in 2011, when Sherlock was at the height of his addiction and wasn't working for NYPD yet, neither was that keen on studying the cases happening throughout the city. Now, almost four years later and with the anniversary of the victim's death approaching, the victim's sister, living in a completely different neighborhood, also reports seeing a strange man moving around her house at night and hearing whistle like noises. The suspects include their abusive stepfather, the victim's possessive ex boyfriend and a registered female sex offender who lived close to the victim in 2011 and is now living close to the victim's sister.

Obviously, that would be an adaption of "The Adventure Of The Speckled Band".

I doubt that the writers will follow through on that (please please please please please) but I have really enjoyed season three, even more than season two which I think was bland at the times, and I am sure that they are going to give us the great premiere.

Edited by Mislav

Hey guys, huge fan of the show. I think it is my absolute favorite currently. 

My question, do you guys think that a Moriarty showdown is necessary this season, or you could see it in season 6, or possibly even 7 if the show goes that long? If and when it happens, I hope it will have a lot of weight. I hate to say it, but I think a major character's death could be warranted here. The captain or Marcus maybe? Some real drama, where Sherlock has to save his friends, and maybe one of them sacrificing himself for them. I'm honestly cool either way, I think they managed to keep this show fresh, and almost every episode feels like a movie. 

Edited by Zolo

I suspect that Moriarty's return won't really be as a foe.  I also suspect that Watson's desire for adoption is going to get granted in a truly strange way - that she'll end up adopting Moriarty's daughter.  It would be utterly understandable that Jaime Morarity would want her child raised by the man she most loved and the woman she most respected.

• Love 2

I really enjoy Elementary, but I sometimes wonder how different this show would be if they hadn't cast an actress to play Moriarty who almost immediately afterward became the star of a hugely popular show.  Would each season of Elementary be an individual story arc of Holmes vs Moriarty or Holmes&Moriarty vs some "bigger Bad"?  Its interesting how a single casting decision can affect an entire show.