Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: A Family Meltdown

• Start Topic

This Ken guy is obviously not a stranger to the wives.  I know he is Kody's friend, but if one of my husband's friends said something that I found insulting, I would take it up with him directly.  I would not insist that my husband tell him he had to apologize to me.  She's got the maturity of a 7 year old.  Of course, she probably knows that she would never be able to justify polygamy in an intelligent way.

• Love 8
My issue with Christine's hissy fit is how intolerant she is of monogamy. Her and Robyn take every chance they get to knock others beliefs, but get all but hurt when theirs isn't respected.

It's so true. That's when I appreciate Kody - he openly states that he does not think polygamy is for everyone, and those two are like "Whaaaaat?" No, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, you are not the international spokeswomen for polygamy. I'm cool with it, but stop being such a preachy asshole. 

• Love 3

Between the constant parties and celebrations, vacations, and college kids, upcoming balloon payment, etc. they have got to be spliced thin financially. Still don't think anyone has a real paying job besides MSWC and TLC. So they do need cash infusions to keep up with their lifestyle.

That's what I think too. But then it wasn't quite clear what Janelle was referring to in the first episode when she said Kody was working on "closing a deal". I don't know if that's in reference to real estate, although that would be Janelle's arena. Either way, these people do not have respect for money. It's beyond annoying. 

I totally agree with previous posts that Kody cannot bring himself to acknowledge Christine's feelings. What I have noticed with these people is how poorly they communicate. Their conversations go around in circles, and Kody always acts dumbfounded with the deer in the headlights look when someone suggests he is at fault. How the older children turned out so emotionally mature by comparison is a mystery. I also agree that it is an unhealthy dynamic having a bunch of wives giggling and mocking a situation that was very serious for Christine.  My thought was that at least one of the wives might be thinking that by taking Kody's side and brushing off Christine's feelings they will be seen in a more favorable light by Kody. I hope this isn't how things always go down, because I do remember Robyn coming to Christine's defense in the past and I would hope they back each other up at times. That being said, Christine seems really immature to keep bringing up her fear of outsiders after everything that has transpired in their lives. I agree that she seems unstable. 

I just get the sense that Kody is making the whole situation more theatrical for the cameras too; I am starting to sense he is doing whatever he needs to in order to keep the gravy train coming.  I'm not saying it bothered me in the least, but I haven't heard Kody swear much in the past, and was a little surprised he said sh*t.

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 2

Here's the thing with the Ken comment - yes, maybe it was incredibly mean and disrespectful. It's hard to judge the meaning behind a text. If he had said it in person, we'd have a better feel. Even joking, it's kind of rude, I agree. But let's flip the situation around. Let's say they were hanging out with a monogamous couple and the husband maybe casually mentions something like, "I wish my wife had more time to cook, she is so good at it". And then Christine says, "Hey, just get her a couple of sisterwives and then she won't be spread so thin!" Joking, harmless, but still trying to promote YOUR lifestyle as better. Would anyone else have flipped out to the degree that she did? Stewed about it for YEARS, then demanded her husband call the offender and get an apology out of them. Orrrr....would a sane person have just either A. laughed it off, as everyone says ignorant crap without being malicious or B. Calmly said, "Hey, monogamy is really important to us and that was kind of out of line what you just said"? 

She's just such a drama queen. 

• Love 7

I'm not saying it bothered me in the least, but I haven't heard Kody swear much in the past, and was a little surprised he said sh*t.

Forgot to mention that in my post!  I noticed the same thing, too.  When he cursed, he reminded me of a 10-year-old boy who just said the f-word in front of his friends for the first time, like he did it to impress them or show off what a big, tough badass he is.  I'd pay $100 to watch Kody work a room of emotionally healthy, successful grown women.  How shocked he would be that no one would fawn over him and his ridiculous hair-tossing antics.

• Love 8

He had told the wives he was going to rotate on the vacation based on marriage order. So I assume that meant he was SUPPOSED to be spending the first night in the hotel, as Meri apparently doesn't camp. But....he said he really liked the campsite, so he wanted to stay there instead. And he seemed to give zero figs about how this would fuck up the rotation, or if it bothered his wives.

Which only reinforced my belief that there generally IS no rotation, and Kody just stays where Kody wants on any given day.

Yeah, there wouldn't have to be a mention of "mariage order" for the sleeping arrangements if there was a rotation.  It would already be assumed.  Talk about adding to the already self-esteem and jealousy issues...waiting for Kody to deem you are worthy for an overnight visit. I'm sure that would affect the kids as well.  This issue alone makes you wonder how any woman could buy in to this life style.

• Love 4

Nahhhh I bet people would but it for a couple bucks.  People aren't buying it now because the prices are ridiculous. 

Pawn shops ultimately are in business to make money, not to give free handouts.  And most pawn shop owners/employees know how much something is worth or know how to find out. 

Generally speaking for jewelry, unless its a one of a kind unique item with a high intrinsic resale value, the pawnshop will base its loan on the value of the materials - i.e. the silver meltdown price. 

However, since this all went down around  6 months or so ago, it's probably pretty safe to say that the pawn dude changed his mind.

So Kody gets to issue a royal decree that they don't go to a hotel?  Really?  If I were Meri, Janelle, Christine, and Robin, I would have left King Kody at his precious campsite with all of his spawn and headed off for a night at the priciest hotel spa in the area.   While there, I would have enjoyed a massage, mani/pedi, and sumptuous meal, all of which would be charged to Kody's credit card because as a poor little woman I couldn't possibly have the brains to support myself.  That's King Kody's job.

The relationships have taken an interesting turn this year.  Has anyone else noticed the strained relationship between Janelle and Christine?  In the last episode, it was Christine who was pushing a clearly reluctant Janelle to take part in the lip synch.  And in this episode, it was Janelle who suggested they visit a man whom she knows Christine detests.  On an even odder note, it was Meri who essentially told everyone to back off Janelle, and it was Meri to whom Christine turned after her fight with Kody.  

• Love 3

It was painful watching Kody trying to connect with Madison. Give it up, Kody. That ship has sailed long ago. You don't sit your daughter down in a camper and try to connect with cameras rolling. She looks so uncomfortable around him too. I like how he summed it up later, in typical Kody-speak, saying they talked and all is well. I think she probably told him to get out of her face and rushed back to her apartment.

I think Madison found it awkward, but I don't believe she's uncomfortable around Kody.  I think she's very similar to Janelle when it comes to keeping her feelings to herself, and I think she was more uncomfortable with the camera being there and making it a big deal.  She said she understands that her father doesn't feel they've connected unless he knows her every thought, but teens don't share every thought with their parents. I think he's a dork, but his kids love him and are at ease with him.  I also think part of Maddie throwing Janelle and Kody out of her apartment was getting the damn camera out of her face.

Because it would throw off the sex overnight schedule, since some wives stay at the motel, and some stay with the RVs. The original plan was that The Kodester is sleeping with them in order of marriage, and Meri (motel sleeper) would either have to go sleep in the RV for her night to be with him, or he would be cuddling with another RV wife that night. (I assume Robyn since she was the only one that wasn't bothered by the change.)

I really didn't understand the big deal.  Christine very clearly let Kody know she didn't want him that night.  When she said that, the other women snickered, and no one piped up with a - I'll take him tonight.  I'm not sure who was supposed to sleep in the RV and who got the motel, but I'm not sure the RV could have slept everyone, so what was Kody's point?  To disrupt everyone?

This Ken guy is obviously not a stranger to the wives.  I know he is Kody's friend, but if one of my husband's friends said something that I found insulting, I would take it up with him directly.  I would not insist that my husband tell him he had to apologize to me.  She's got the maturity of a 7 year old.  Of course, she probably knows that she would never be able to justify polygamy in an intelligent way.

This makes sense to you and me, but they live in a patriarchal society.  As far as I know, it may be Kody's responsibility to deal with the friend.  If so, it's just another example of Kody's failure as a polygamist husband.  There's a reason that Brady Wiliiams looks exhausted to the point of death, and Kody is bouncing around with the energy of a toddler.

The relationships have taken an interesting turn this year.  Has anyone else noticed the strained relationship between Janelle and Christine?  In the last episode, it was Christine who was pushing a clearly reluctant Janelle to take part in the lip synch.  And in this episode, it was Janelle who suggested they visit a man whom she knows Christine detests.  On an even odder note, it was Meri who essentially told everyone to back off Janelle, and it was Meri to whom Christine turned after her fight with Kody.  

I have definitely noticed.  I'm not surprised, I've come to the conclusion that Janelle was using Christine as a babysitter and as a weapon against Meri.  I noticed that Meri and Christine have been a lot closer.  As irritating as it was to hear the other three wives laughing at Christine's tantrum, they didn't seem to be taking Kody's side either.  In fact, Robyn even called him a "girl" at some point.  Meri also seemed to be doing a good job of supporting Christine without babying her.  When Janelle walked away in anger and tears at the whole lip synching incident, I actually thought it was Christine who asked if she should go after Janelle, and Kody who said leave her alone.  I think the growing apart is on Janelle's side only.

• Love 3

Here's a tweet of Kody's:

Kody Brown @realkodybrown 
  ·  22h 22 hours ago  
I'm angry that she was being petty over this. The "me or Ken" attitude is not one I can tolerate. Not cool to me. Just sayin'!
#SisterWives

Bold added by me.

I like how as a group the women act like they are boss. But when they are one on one, I bet they all make sweet to stay in his favor. They all vie for his attention & if there's any real argument or someone upset he's only with them one night & then on to the next. When they do stand up to voice their opinion Cody shuts it down & basically refers to them as children. If one is mad it will spread to the entire family. One bad apple will spoil the bunch for him & he doesn't want to spend 4 bad nights.

I know everyone except Janelle was raised this way. I cannot imagine choosing to live in a relationship where I have to be quiet & play nice just to stay in the good graces of my husband or with fear he will like another wife more. 

They don't want to be judged but they judge everyone else around them, even other "plygs".

What they did at Madi's apartment to me was not funny. I wouldn't be pissed but I wouldn't laugh either. That's a way to get invited back, by trashing her apartment. 

If all the grandmothers including his move in with them, who gets Kody's mom? There are only 4 houses, but 5 grandmas.

So Kody gets to issue a royal decree that they don't go to a hotel?  Really?  If I were Meri, Janelle, Christine, and Robin, I would have left King Kody at his precious campsite with all of his spawn and headed off for a night at the priciest hotel spa in the area.   While there, I would have enjoyed a massage, mani/pedi, and sumptuous meal, all of which would be charged to Kody's credit card because as a poor little woman I couldn't possibly have the brains to support myself.  That's King Kody's job.

I see that too about their relationships. I don't see anything really sisterly or friendly between them. They have issues that are over 20+ yrs old & they still hold those grudges. Most "sister" can move on.

• Love 2

So Kody gets to issue a royal decree that they don't go to a hotel?  Really?

On these RV trips, Meri and Robyn stay in motels because they don't like the RVs. Janelle and Christine like the RV camping, so that is where they stay. Kody announced he was making the schedule Meri-Robyn, which meant he would be starting that night in a motel room. But he liked the campsite and wanted to stay there, so he was already changing the schedule and pissing off the wives. What was weird to me was why weren't they already on a schedule? Janelle said something later about her kids not haven seen Kody for weeks.

It is getting really irritating to hear Christine (and Kody) trot out the tired story about her grandfather being arrested and thrown in jail, and use it as the basis of her fears of.....everything. Arrests for polygamy occurred 60+ years ago and were few and far between. There has been far more damage done to polygamous families by the leaders of the sects themselves, and done within the past 40 years. Men ex-communicated and banished from the communities, women and their children reassigned to other men, the Lost Boy situation, child brides, horrific abuse, the list goes on. It isn't just Warren Jeff's FLDS sect, it's almost all of them that have dealt with these issues. Christine has more to fear from within her church than from the outside world.

There's only two reasons Ken's words could cause Christine the amount of despair we saw: She believes Kody really WOULD go back to the LDS church at the slightest suggestion from a friend and she would be one of the three to be dumped (in other words delusional and insecure) or this the major plot line for the season and we will see Ken come back later for the final blow-up between him and Christine, complete with his apology.

• Love 9

I personally think Kody was an A-hole in this episode.  I understand Christine's feelings, but I think they had to do with the fact that Kody never acknowledged the fact that Christine was ENTITLED to her feelings.  Basically I think the real problem is that like most of the time, her feelings are ignored.  Which, by the way, is a pattern with the adults in this family.  Jenelle feels it (about Meri and about doing things that embarrass her), Kody feels it (about not having "enough contro"l), Meri feels it (about being an empty nester), and Robyn feels it (about my sister wife's closet).  Basically, it is never "I don't agree with your emotions, but I acknowledge that it is okay for you to have them" with any of them.  THAT is the issue.  They simply don't know how to communicate.  Which of course in any marriage or relationship, is the most important thing.

I also wonder why Christine's Mom isn't moving in with Meri.  Besides Meri having more room, I think having an older adult around Meri who has gone through what Meri is going through now would be beneficial to Meri.  I don't think she'd feel so alone about having no one around who has had all their bio. children leave the house.

The burlesque performer in me who has to make my own costumes covets all the rooms Christine's Mom has in her house for crafting.  I live in a small apartment with my friend Dexter, and there isn't enough room.

• Love 5

Christine will beat that apology horse no matter who she hurts, even her kids and everyone else on the trip.

She has such a Princess attitude, why is she acting like a Diva now? She's not even close to being the favorite wife, I think she's number four due to her bitchy attitude, at least Janelle doesn't give El Douche much lip.

I think she's trying to put on a show for attention/ratings, but all she's acomplished is showing her collossal stupidity, and in that family it's not easy to stand out and win the award for the biggest asshole-dumbest ass. Christine, you win.

• Love 3

I hadn't really given much credence to Christine being entitled to feeling how she does about Kody's friend, but I can see where she should at least have been validated by him to have the right to be offended, and that he should have known his friend crossed the line.  Which leads back to the question that's already been asked:  Why the heck did he even tell his women what was said?  Ken not being "available" says to me that maybe Ken took it upon himself to not be a part of the Brown Circus. 

It is really hard to reconcile Kody with having the emotional/intellectual presence to see beyond his own face and give the REAL support that each of these women need, but it's even harder for me to understand why THEY expect him to have the capacity to do so.  Don't they know him better than anyone knows him?  Don't they already know he's not capable of meeting all of their needs?  Frankly, he looked a bit affronted that they think he should try... and, I still think that Christine went ape shit over the whole thing at an inappropriate time and in an inappropriate place.  Indeed, your children are watching you -- and learning things like conflict resolution and relationship maintenance. 

It is getting really irritating to hear Christine (and Kody) trot out the tired story about her grandfather being arrested and thrown in jail, and use it as the basis of her fears of.....everything. Arrests for polygamy occurred 60+ years ago and were few and far between. There has been far more damage done to polygamous families by the leaders of the sects themselves, and done within the past 40 years. Men ex-communicated and banished from the communities, women and their children reassigned to other men, the Lost Boy situation, child brides, horrific abuse, the list goes on. It isn't just Warren Jeff's FLDS sect, it's almost all of them that have dealt with these issues. Christine has more to fear from within her church than from the outside world.

Galloway Cave, I have been reading the blog link that you posted since the day that you posted it.  Thank you... it's very informative, and reminded me of another blog I used to participate on, which reminded me of Flora Jessop's story, which reminded me of some other escaped/ex-FLDS or AUB people and their stories (Kingstons, Jessops, Allreds, Jeffs, etc).  I completely agree with you that Christine's fears seem irrational, but my opinion is that they are very deliberate.  I think that she is promoting the Plyg Persecution Propaganda at all times, which includes revealing her deep "fear" of them there folks on the outside.

I also think that this is the major plot line of the season.  Along with Christine's mom, who is bound to cause a fracas or two.  Maybe then ending the season with the "will they split, or won't they" cliffhanger while Christine and Kody stare at each coldly other across the cul-de-sac and Robyn runs down the road waving a pregnancy test in the air. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Maybe then ending the season with the "will they split, or won't they" cliffhanger while Christine and Kody stare at each coldly other across the cul-de-sac and Robyn runs down the road waving a pregnancy test in the air. 

Oh my gosh, thank you for a great laugh at the end of the day! Priceless! 

• Love 2

I think both Kody and Christine acted childish. Kody's comments along the lines of "her wanting to put his balls in a vice" just highlights how he doesn't feel he is much of a man. He seems to view any differing of opinion as taking something away from his manhood. I think this ties into the general feeling of some polygamous marriages and it is kind of sickening. As for Christine: she is not very bright but she must know that their friends who are mainstream Mormon are not going to be in favor of their lifestyle.

I get the idea that Ken is very religious and honestly views Kody as not in keeping with the Mormon doctrine. Of course, Kody being so terribly angry at Christine's reaction was inappropriate, but so was expecting some guy to apologize to Christine. If she is going to be upset at every person who doesn't agree with monogamy, she is going to be upset a lot. 

I thought the fooling around at Maddie's dorm was kind of silly; but then I have to realize these people are deeply religious and don't do things like go out to bars with friends, watch a lot of tv or movies etc, and they probably have a less sophisticated way of thinking than some of us. i don't mean that to sound patronizing, I just think their religion doesn't offer a lot of entertainment so they think of light hearted ways to have fun. 

I think Christine's mom is moving in to help her with the kids. I don't have a clue as to why she can't care for 4 kids on her own, but she seems to be having a hard time with things in general. And no, I don't see why Christine's mother would move in with Meri. I'm sure she would be more comfortable living with her own daughter, and all of the houses are huge, their is plenty of room. 

• Love 1

Christine's mom's house was super cute compared to the clutter and disorder of the Browns' homes. What was all that crap on Janelle's dresser in the bedroom shot when she was packing? Anyway, why would she want to leave her ordered house and awesome craft room? She looks in good health and under 65... I'd stay exactly where I was. Who wants to move into all that Brown dysfunction?

• Love 1

Maybe she's lonely.  Just because she didn't like being a wife in polygamy, doesn't mean she didn't enjoy having the large families.  She's was smiling and posing with all the mom's with Madison at her graduation.  Looks like she's close with all the wives and kids.

• Love 1

I thought they were all showing their immaturity in this episode.  Christine's attitude about the friend is bad enough, but at least understandable given where she's coming from.  I don't get Kodouche's and the others' dismissiveness of her, but then again, maybe I do.  I think they're probably all just tired of her expecting to be treated like her feelings count when after all, theirs don't either, so why should she think she's any more special?  Kodouche revealed himself as being insensitive to her.  I could not see him acting that way if Robyn had been offended, though.  I used to think Christine was just expecting too much from him but now not so much.  I do think she was being over the top about this guy friend, though.  Plus didn't the friend reveal himself to have this attitude 3 years ago already?  Like all this time did she just assume that Kody would never talk to the guy again?  Geesh, my own best friend and I don't agree on religion and some lifestyle choices, but we're still good friends.  I do  think Kody should have assured her in a much more loving way that if he does want to visit the guy it doesn't mean he's siding with him or devaluing her in any way. His dismissiveness made me feel much worse about him than her.  And the others' snickering in the background made me want to side with Christine even if she was being an egotistical baby about it.  They were acting like crabs in a barrel.   At least have some respect in the sisterhood.  Perhaps if they did, they next time they got all uppity about something they could count on her support, but they just nixed any chance of that now!  I somehow could not see the Williams women doing this to each other.  They seem to stand together more as a unit, which they should given the imbalance of power in these polygamous relationships in favor of the husband.

Christine's mother moving in - I don't get the picture with that, or perhaps I missed the reason she's moving in?  Financial problems?  Loneliness?  I think it's a good idea, and I agree with whoever said that she should live with Christine, not Meri.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

me, as an arm chair psychologist...

"I could not see him acting that way if Robyn had been offended, though.  I used to think Christine was just expecting too much from him but now not so much.  I do think she was being over the top about this guy friend, though." I think Christine escalated the situation and would not back down simply because she wanted to provoke SOME positive response in Kody...anything!.  It backfired, but the whole situation could have been a big nothing if HE had some wisdom and handled it well initially.  

Next, whenever I see Kody in an argument and staring with his beady eyes at his adversary, I don't see mean or angry.  I see a 5 year old kid who is trying to think up the next line of his justification.  He's running through scenarios in his head to see which has the most traction.  

• Love 10

Next, whenever I see Kody in an argument and staring with his beady eyes at his adversary, I don't see mean or angry. I see a 5 year old kid who is trying to think up the next line of his justification. He's running through scenarios in his head to see which has the most traction.

Getting those five brain cells lined up takes time. Dude has a 286 processor chip.

Snarklepuss, "Crabs In a barrel" is all kinds of genius and it needs to be a thread title...or an episode name...ASAP.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I think, for me, the biggest problem with Christine's reaction to the Ken news was how she immediately became all hostile and defensive. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but she seemed to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds. Kody mentions Ken and she immediately starts huffing and puffing. Would it have gone differently if instead she had pulled him aside and quietly and calmly mentioned how hurt she was by Ken and how it made her feel uncomfortable to be around him? Possibly. With Koduche, who knows? But at least that way she could say she had been the better, more reasonable person. As it was, they both looked like assholes to me. 

• Love 1

Getiing those five brain cells lined up takes time. Dude has a 286 processor chip.

Snarklepuss, "Crabs In a barrel" is all kinds of genius and it needs to be a thread title...or an episode name...ASAP.

LOL, thanks!  look in Wikipedia under "crab mentality" and I think you'll agree it applies to the Brown women.  I had a Southern friend years ago that told me the old crabs in a barrel expression, "Once one of them gets a little bit up, the other ones just drag him back down".

I think, for me, the biggest problem with Christine's reaction to the Ken news was how she immediately became all hostile and defensive. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but she seemed to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds. Kody mentions Ken and she immediately starts huffing and puffing. Would it have gone differently if instead she had pulled him aside and quietly and calmly mentioned how hurt she was by Ken and how it made her feel uncomfortable to be around him? Possibly. With Koduche, who knows? But at least that way she could say she had been the better, more reasonable person. As it was, they both looked like assholes to me. 

I think there's all kinds of history behind Christine's 2 second fuse.  Like he's dismissed her feelings a zillion times before and it wouldn't matter if she emblazoned it on a neon sign over her head, he'd still tune her out.  I can understand and identify with that from former romantic relationships.  It makes you crazy and look like a spoiled, needy brat when in fact the bad guy is often the other person who doesn't care about what might be completely valid feelings.

• Love 3

Christine acted totally irrational with the 'Ken' situation. Ken said that 'remark' a 'season' or 2 before. In front of at least a few of the 'Sister Wives'. If they were 'so insulted', it should have been dealt with THEN.. Christine should not be stewing about it months, if not a year later. (if That is really what she is mad about?). I am really tired about the 'Christine's Grandfather was arrested for polygamy, his wives were separated, they never go back together.. etc. etc.. (which, I never understood why the 'wives' never got together, not ever a few of them? ).. That was 60 years ago.. The State of Utah was pushed to start an investigation.. The keyword is 'Start'.. They never were going any further because there are a lot of people who live in a polygamist relationship in Utah and if you prosecute one, well..

Anyway.. Ken said this remark, serious, kidding, don't know, months ago, and then at least some of them went boating with Ken. Nothing said. Now, Christine wants Kody to ask Ken to apologize? Kody, for once in his life, is right! If Christine wants Ken to apologize, Christine must talk to Ken. Next, you do not ask anyone to apologize! Christine, I find, is ignorant. She needs to open her mind, her world. She, the others, want  polygamy to be legal. I doubt this will happen, but it definitely will not happen if you say things like "Kody, you cannot talk to people, be friends with them if they do not support our life style!'. Just like Racism, you must talk to haters, open up their minds. If you close them off, they will hate even more, and things will never change! But, like I said, Christine, and yes, some of the other wives, are much to ignorant, and not too smart. The ignorance can be worked on, but the intelligence, well, you cannot make anyone smarter.

Next why do we have to 'Meet another poly family' Every half a season? I just do not care. I know there are a lot of them in this country. I just do not care to meet some family for 15 minutes to hear 'Why I am a  polygamist man and how I convinced these (3) women to marry me'.

As for Madison, most college freshmen, especially those who go away, experience some 'depression' the 1st semester. I do not even know if she started classes at that point, or was just doing her job? This was a whole new thing for her, after all, those kids were not allowed to do much at all outside the house, few dated and those who did supposed got that stupid talk about how if they kissed, their hormones went into the mouths of the person they kissed. (I would have loved, just loved, if there was a real doctor on that show to dispute that one.) Can you imagine that if it was real? 'Susie, you really have to stop kissing your BF so much, you are getting too much of his hormones! (Susie being a natural blonde, is now spouting a black beard and mustache!).  'Yeah I know, I am growing something else too that you can't see! I am breaking up with tony tonight!'. Where does Kody get this crap? (Or if not the beard, like that shampoo commercial from decades ago-and she told 2 friends and they told 2 friends.. and the hormones went from his mouth to the next 2 girls he kissed and they kissed 2 boys, and .. )..

Well another waste of my time for an hour, another useless vacation.. spent doing nothing..

• Love 2

On these RV trips, Meri and Robyn stay in motels because they don't like the RVs. Janelle and Christine like the RV camping, so that is where they stay. Kody announced he was making the schedule Meri-Robyn, which meant he would be starting that night in a motel room. But he liked the campsite and wanted to stay there, so he was already changing the schedule and pissing off the wives. What was weird to me was why weren't they already on a schedule? Janelle said something later about her kids not haven seen Kody for weeks.

Thank you for explaining this!  I was confused about the hotel issue too and wondered why they were all upset that Kody was no longer wanting to stay in a hotel (I actually thought he was staying alone and thought they were irritated they wouldn't all be without kody for a night lol)

I also wonder why Christine's Mom isn't moving in with Meri.  Besides Meri having more room, I think having an older adult around Meri who has gone through what Meri is going through now would be beneficial to Meri.  I don't think she'd feel so alone about having no one around who has had all their bio. children leave the house.

I get that everyone thinks Meri needs to share her house because it's ginormous and empty but I dunno.... I think it would be weird. Yes technically she is Meri's family but we don't know how they feeling about the other wive's families and I surely wouldn't want someone else's mom living with me lol 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 2

LOL, thanks!  look in Wikipedia under "crab mentality" and I think you'll agree it applies to the Brown women.  I had a Southern friend years ago that told me the old crabs in a barrel expression, "Once one of them gets a little bit up, the other ones just drag him back down".

I think there's all kinds of history behind Christine's 2 second fuse.  Like he's dismissed her feelings a zillion times before and it wouldn't matter if she emblazoned it on a neon sign over her head, he'd still tune her out.  I can understand and identify with that from former romantic relationships.  It makes you crazy and look like a spoiled, needy brat when in fact the bad guy is often the other person who doesn't care about what might be completely valid feelings.

I agree with you.  I think Kody treats her the way many men do - you're acting like an irrational crazy bitch.  I will admit, I have a high tolerance for Christine.  Christine was like a dog with a bone, but Kody was completely dismissive, as he always is with Christine.  This is the man who stomps around constantly whining that he's not allowed to be the leader of the family and he's not allowed to be the man and make the decisions ..... but then wants nothing to do with dealing with this situation (that Kody created) and refuses to be involved.  Is it that hard to tell your wife (even if you feel she's irrational) that you understand why she's upset, but you disagree?  Is it that hard to say - yeah it was an insensitive remark and I never should have shared it with you?  Is it too hard to say - you have the right to feel offended but I think you're taking it personally?  How can a man have four wives and ten daughters and not know how to handle this? 

As to the wives, I have differing opinions on how they reacted.  They all laughed, but I interpret it differently.  Robin - I think she is the closest to understanding why Christine feels this way.  Robin also explained it in a compassionate manner, but really chose to stay out of it.  She's comfortable in her favored status.  Janelle - she disappointed me the most.  She has proven to have no loyalty to Christine.  I've come to realize that Janelle is actually the most protective of and most quick to defend Kody.  She simply walked away - she just didn't care.  Meri -  I think she's the most laid back here.  She knows it was a tacky comment, but as the only legal wife, she is most secure in her position.  Yet she's the only one we saw talking to Christine, attempting to validate her feelings, telling her it's just Kody being stupid.  She wasn't Kody's sycophant and she didn't baby Christine.  It's really making me like Meri more and more.

• Love 7

I just watched and will spew my reactions, then read what y'all had to snark:

1. “Line of credit” from a pawn shop. That’s actually a pretty perfect fit for this bunch of dorks. Really. And collateralizing MSWC. Wow. Now they have more debt, AND they’ve borrowed against an UNSUCCESSFUL internet business. Super idea.
  2. Christine: “None of us were happy about moving [to Las Vegas].” Horse shitski. Kody wanted to move to Vegas, and has said so publicly. It’s breathtaking how they not only revise history, they expect all of us to just go along with the charade.
  3. Kody speaking about his mother-in-law moving in, and having “one more woman” in his house, and all her “stuff.” Oh for god’s sake, put it in one of Meri’s rooms—the bitch lives ALONE. And Kody, all these women in your life is what you signed up for, it’s the lifestyle you asked for, so really: Fuck. You.
  4. Those other wives LOVED IT when Christine threw her fit and “hoped” that Kody wasn’t staying with her. Just upped their odds of getting lucky with Mr. Wonderful.
  5. If one of my husband’s friends made derogatory personal remarks about me, I’d throw a fit, too. The deal is, though, that Christine has made the Ken thing about HERSELF, when really it was about LDS vs. Polygamy.
  6. Kody’s hair on the couch: my mom’s hair used to look just like that after her weekly visit to the beauty shop.
  7. The older dude at Boseman: “I don’t know how he keeps four wives happy.” Oh well, see...he doesn’t.
  8. Browns: I hope when you get to your own planet that it is absolutely COVERED with sticky marshmallows, you selfish pigs.
  • Love 9

What I have noticed with these people is how poorly they communicate.

Remember when Robyn was the newbie wife and jumped in the middle of everyone's business? They all pretended for about five minutes that she played this wonderful role as peacemaker. Looks like they got sick of her meddling--I didn't see her try to mix in with the Christine thing at all.

How the older children turned out so emotionally mature by comparison is a mystery.

I think they're emotionally mature because they HAD to be. No snark here at all. When parents act like children, children often develop an innate sense of self-parenting. Sad that it has to be that way, but so far Mariah seems like the only one who got completely warped.

• Love 8

But let's flip the situation around. Let's say they were hanging out with a monogamous couple and the husband maybe casually mentions something like, "I wish my wife had more time to cook, she is so good at it". And then Christine says, "Hey, just get her a couple of sisterwives and then she won't be spread so thin!"

But wouldn't a flip be more like Christine saying to a monogamous wife: "Listen, you need to dump your monogamist husband and find a good polygamist man." I do think Christine handled it quite badly (as did her dumb-ass pseudo husband), but in this flipped scenario, wouldn't most of us at least think the naysayer was a total jerk? And I hate hanging out with total jerks. :)

I watched the rest of the episode last night. When Kody was having a supposedly serious conversation with Christine about their issues, did anyone else notice how many times Kody mentioned his balls and also having fun? He's such a 5 year old. I don't give Christine a pass, because she is a drama queen, but Kody is impossible to have a reasonable, adult conversation with. He was totally focused on the effect asking for an apology would have on his "manhood." He paid no attention to what Christine was trying to communicate about how offended she was by the comment.

Personally, I think the main issue is that Christine is actually dedicated to their religion, while the other 4 are not so much interested in their religion. Especially Kody.

• Love 2

I think Christine's reaction to Ken's remark betrays her real fear: not that the authorities will come and take Kody (if she REALLY feared this, they would never have gone on national TV) but rather that Kody will up and leave her. This is a real possibility and she would be so screwed.   She knows she has no legal claim on him and he could walk away if he decided to.  Good luck collecting any child support, since he has biasically no income and a gazillion kids.

I am sure Ken felt he HAD to say what he said to Kody, since he is LDS and they are so against polygamy…he may have felt pressured to at least say it in order to be able to spend time with Kody.  THere may have been reprecussions for him within the Chirsch for re-connecting with Kody. Can someone more familiar with LDS comment here? Would a person get some static from their Bishop if it was known they were hanging with polygamists?

• Love 3

We also don't know what Kody might have said to spark Ken's comment. True, it may have been unsolicited. But knowing the doofus, there's more than a slight chance that he at least was an equal contributor to a stream of interactions that generated the "offending" text.

This is, after all, the mature adult who apparently thought it would be a peachy idea to share the message with at least one wife.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3
Browns: I hope when you get to your own planet that it is absolutely COVERED with sticky marshmallows, you selfish pigs.

Co-sign. 

And I hope there's nary a wetbar in sight. 

I think they're emotionally mature because they HAD to be. No snark here at all. When parents act like children, children often develop an innate sense of self-parenting. Sad that it has to be that way, but so far Mariah seems like the only one who got completely warped.

That's actually a really good point. Mariah, being virtually an only child, didn't have all these younger siblings to care for. Logan, Aspyn....a lot of the other older kids had to step in and help parent, since Daddy was hardly around. 

This is, after all, the mature adult who apparently thought it would be a peachy idea to share the message with at least one wife.

Totally serious here - do we know for certain Christine found out because Kody showed her the message? Did they actually say that? Because I could see her being the insecure wife, checking his phone to see how he texts with the other wives, and stumbling upon that one. Just curious. 

Well, Christine's usual MO whenever anyone says one word indicating perceived criticism of their "lifestyle" is to go apeshit.  When they were in Boston and visited the Plymouth Plantation she got all wigged out when one of the actors (someone ACTING A PART) said something about plural wives and Christians.  She was rude to the actor and then put on her defensive "I'm being persecuted" persona.  Honest to God, there are a million different religions in the world.  Why is it so difficult for her to accept that her way is NOT the only way?  But then isn't that the norm for most brainwashed fundies?

• Love 4

Co-sign. 

Totally serious here - do we know for certain Christine found out because Kody showed her the message? Did they actually say that? Because I could see her being the insecure wife, checking his phone to see how he texts with the other wives, and stumbling upon that one. Just curious.

Yeah, there's also a strong likelihood of that happening. Bottom line, I'm highly skeptical that this friend just blurted that out without some prior interaction/provocation from the doofus.

• Love 1

This is a bit of a random thought, but Ken reminds me a little of Gilbert Gottfried. Am I alone in that? Haha. 

As much of a doofus as Kody was being, I think it's interesting to say the least that Janelle was the one who suggested meeting up with Ken. I think this was mentioned upthread too. I see this as Janelle really not caring much how a sister wife might react to it, or alternately it could have been producer-driven to create a stir. I think Ken has the right to his own beliefs and I know he is concerned about Kody's well-being in the next life, etc., but I found him obnoxious in their visit to Wyoming where they met up with him. I can't see why Janelle would want him around again. 

• Love 2

Honest to God, there are a million different religions in the world.  Why is it so difficult for her to accept that her way is NOT the only way?

I think Christine's hyper-drama whenever the relative validity of polygamy is raised is strongly rooted in her own insecurity. Same with Robyn, although Robyn's M.O. tends more toward the snotty comeback (sweetie). This is their Achilles heel, because if there is even the POSSIBILITY that polygamy is fundamentally flawed*, then Christine and Robyn are essentially screwed. If polygamy is a flawed system, then they are the idiots who have a) volunteered to be the unmarried sexual consorts of a married man, b) born many children with this man to whom they are not legally married, and c) stayed in a relationship that forever relegates them to not having the full emotional and sexual companionship of their man, all while being expected to be JUST FINE with him being in bed with multiple other women. To take on such a benighted life/relationship status makes any perceived criticism of that status wildly threatening, in a psychological sense.

*pun not intended...

ETA: We don't see as much of this defensive bullshit from Meri and Janelle because Meri is legal, and Janelle, who comes from an LDS background and has already shown the family that she can and will go off and support herself if necessary, just doesn't care that much.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 2

I wish they had some real project going on in their lives so we could avoid the road trips and the contrived meetings with other polygamists.  They should've invested some money into a real brick and mortar business instead of the online jewelry thing that's never going to take off.  I wonder if they believe the TLC gravy train will chug on forever.  For Pete's sake, get something set up now.  I seem to be more worried about their future than they are.

• Love 1

If they really wanted to make money they should have opened a party supply store.  There's this one huge family in Las Vegas who will splash out on a fully decorated theme party about anything at the drop of a hat.  Seriously - apart from a million birthdays, anniversaries, and graduations, there are 60's hippie parties, Casino Night parties, heck, even Hanukkah parties!  Any inventory they could think of to stock, this family would buy!

Oh, wait...

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Since I think they are desperate to keep the camera on them and will even take advantage of friend "Ken" I am sure Janelle brought Ken up at the direction of the producers.  If it wasn't Janelle it would have been Meri.  Meri is really keeping her mouth shut this year.  No tears, just daydreams about VLL and her new social life.

Oh wait, Janelle was assigned to the Ken plot, Meri got the marshmallow plot.  Janelle would never have agreed to that one!

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 1