Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

‘the girl with all the gifts’, a great film with Infected that actually go to sleep until disturbed, check it out, tip toeing through a hoard of dozing undead  is scary as shit. They make the Whisperers look like a bunch of girl guides.

A way better book than movie, IMO. They skipped a lot of stuff from the novel. The girl in the lead was very good, though. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I would welcome a spin off that concentrates on the outbreak of the ZA, which spends more time on it than Fear did. I want to see people absolutely terrified of the Walkers, not knowing what the hell to do or how to do it. Let’s get back to the sheer terror of the dead coming back to life. 

I'm not sure you can put the genie back in the bottle though.

To be honest, I've never cared that much about the zombies.  I've enjoyed the show because of the characters and the apocalyptic survival angle.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 5

The only depiction I've witnessed, that focuses on the outbreak of the ZA effectively and has that sense of horror/chaos/bewilderment/survival, was the first 20 minutes or so of 2004's Dawn of the Dead.  Fear TWD, in the pre-airing descriptions of the show, sounded like an exciting project - but it was a flaccid story told by a boring cast and a lackluster script.  World War Z, as we all know was a harrowing book with great stories, but the movie was PG-13 dreck that BARELY had any relation to the book.

On topic:  I still think the Talking Dead has no need to exist anymore.

Edited by HighMaintenance
Grammar is elusive
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm not sure you can put the genie back in the bottle though.

To be honest, I've never cared that much about the zombies.  I've enjoyed the show because of the characters and the apocalyptic survival angle.

I think if they can introduce some great new characters, they can absolutely take things back to the very beginning, they can recreate what made the show grab us in the beginning. Surely the survival angle has to include the threat from the Walkers, without that your just concentrating upon the search for food or shelter, certainly important but not exactly riveting entertainment. 

We need the undead to keep things interesting, I believe they can, if the writers can be found, take us back to the good old days.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Superclam said:

A way better book than movie, IMO. They skipped a lot of stuff from the novel. The girl in the lead was very good, though. 

I don’t read fiction, but it sounds like a good  book, I thought the movie was pretty good for the budget it had, I do love the military aspect involved in an outbreak though, and as it was set in my country it gets additional thumbs up 👍👍

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Surely the survival angle has to include the threat from the Walkers, without that your just concentrating upon the search for food or shelter, certainly important but not exactly riveting entertainment. 

Depends on what you like I guess.  But I prefer that there's a threat from the Walkers to running into more human beings who are jackasses.  Although I did like the Governor and Negan as villains.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Superclam said:

28 Days Later still gets my vote for best zombie movie set in the U.K. 

28 Weeks Later not so much. 

Careful, I got shouted at not long ago for calling them Zombies, as they are only ‘infected’ and never actually die and reanimate they don’t qualify. It’s a shame that TWD didn’t use something similar, even after six years the danger and tension would still be there, we wouldn’t be relying upon The Whisperers.

I thought they were great films, as you say most originals are rarely bettered but once again showing what can be done on a £5 million budget. Let’s hope the talked about ‘28 Months’ eventually gets made.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 06/12/2018 at 12:48 AM, rmontro said:

Depends on what you like I guess.  But I prefer that there's a threat from the Walkers to running into more human beings who are jackasses.  Although I did like the Governor and Negan as villains

I feel the same, but we’ve now got Walkers that don’t really pose much of a threat, they’ve long since lost any sense of fear and danger that was attached to them, unless you walk up to one and stick your arm in it’s mouth. Now we have The Whisperers, an attempt to make the undead scary again, mmmmmmm.

Edited by OoohMaggie
On 12/5/2018 at 12:22 PM, HighMaintenance said:

How else are they going to explain all the brilliant nuances in the episode you just watched though?

"This scene is a callback to George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, because there is an old truck out in the field".  (roll eyes here)

• Love 3

Lauren looking beautiful. I saw her in Children of a Lesser God with Joshua Jackson on Broadway. She is such a talented actor.

Liesl Tommy directed the episode. Nice. She did a great job. It was an outstanding episode.

• Love 2

Ryan Hurst seems quite charming. I loved his fan-boying over meet ing Melissa. And I really loved his "representing the big guys", feeling the duty to give them something to cosplay at conventions. 😄 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I like him a lot.  The dude is apparently a vegan.  He must eat a lot of carbs in order to keep weight on his big frame.

I thought the fan onstage was being ridiculous.  Even if you tell the story of Negan and Rick from Negan's perspective, there is no way to defend what he has done. 

He still raped women and murdered and tortured a whole lot of innocent people and he threatened people to give up their supplies or they would pay the price.   Negan would always be the bad guy.  I would love to hear her defense of Negan.   I don't think she in any way could defend his actions even from Negan's perspective. 

I can't believe Talking Dead couldn't come up with a better 'ultimate fan'.  What a shame that this woman is in charge of teaching CHILDREN!  And that she rode a club started by students all the way to national tv.  It sounds like the kids who started the club were the ultimate fans.

• Love 1

I have adored Ryan Hurst since forever! He was Opie on Sons of Anarchy and I turned my back on that show when they let Opie go. Nope Nope Nopie!

I don't know how well I will do with him being evil.

Then he is in a little known movie "Lone Star State of Mind" with Joshua Jackson, my sister just raved about this movie, loved loved loved it, had to get it on dvd. Usually this spells, not good, to me. It literally sounded like the stupidest thing on earth. Joshua Jackson is trying to leave his little Texas town, all packed, ready to go and all hell breaks loose, his friends (ryan hurst)  "accidently" rob a bank, he "accidently" gets shot by his girlfriend, I think he gets shot a couple of times. Stupid? yes but highly entertaining. I did have to purchase it as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, nachomama said:

I have adored Ryan Hurst since forever! He was Opie on Sons of Anarchy and I turned my back on that show when they let Opie go. Nope Nope Nopie!

I don't know how well I will do with him being evil.

Then he is in a little known movie "Lone Star State of Mind" with Joshua Jackson, my sister just raved about this movie, loved loved loved it, had to get it on dvd. Usually this spells, not good, to me. It literally sounded like the stupidest thing on earth. Joshua Jackson is trying to leave his little Texas town, all packed, ready to go and all hell breaks loose, his friends (ryan hurst)  "accidently" rob a bank, he "accidently" gets shot by his girlfriend, I think he gets shot a couple of times. Stupid? yes but highly entertaining. I did have to purchase it as well.

I heard Hardwick mention Remember the Titans before I looked very closely at the actor and I couldn't figure out who the hell from that movie could be Beta. Then I heard the voice and was so excited that it's Bertiere! I had no idea he was that big a guy. 

I'm never a fan of having fans on the couch, but at least she was articulate. Half the time, they get people up there and they just freeze like a deer in headlights. 

It does seem like they have a tougher time putting butts on the couch (hence the fan contests) and it does get a little wearying to watch Hardwick trying to pretend he still has the same level of enthusiasm for the show, when he clearly doesn't. 

• Love 1

Wow this show is really carrying the water on Negan's redemption, going on and on about how Judith sees the good in him and how much he cares about Judith blah blah blah. I'm sure that's devoutly to be wished by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and everyone who writes for this show but it's never going to happen for me.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Dear Scott M. Gimple:   Shutty.  Just shutty already.

1000 times this!! ... but on the other end of the spectrum, Brett Butler please feel free to talk forever. She is every bit as sharp and funny as I hoped she would be. I really hope she gets more work soon. (But...she's a 60 year old woman in the entertainment industry. I won't be holding my breath... 😞 )

• Love 4

Sorry if this was already posted, but  this was the first time I'd seen Gimple on TTD. IMO He came across as a squirrely, twitchy, yet arrogant little nerd (?) who was so nervous to be there that he twirled his goatee, almost whispered (no pun intended) his comments, and just generally came across as a douche.

Agree/disagree??(apologies if it was my assessment  that was bad .)

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, MDL said:

Sorry if this was already posted, but  this was the first time I'd seen Gimple on TTD. IMO He came across as a squirrely, twitchy, yet arrogant little nerd (?) who was so nervous to be there that he twirled his goatee, almost whispered (no pun intended) his comments, and just generally came across as a douche.

You are not wrong - he's a douche.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MDL said:

He was twitchier than I've ever seen him, although I've had little exposure to him.

(edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 11:58 PM, iMonrey said:

Wow this show is really carrying the water on Negan's redemption, going on and on about how Judith sees the good in him and how much he cares about Judith blah blah blah. I'm sure that's devoutly to be wished by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and everyone who writes for this show but it's never going to happen for me.

I don't watch TD anymore, but this is what I came here to post/complain about. This twitter comment just wound me up:

I don't watch the show anymore, but I actually ranted about this a bit, on my private twitter, because this particular time he was "taking care of her" he was a huge threat to her, her brother, her father, and everyone else that was alive at the time. It was a total power move, to scare Carl and Rick. In another comment, he calls Negan "dad of the year". I haven't read any further on the twitter tag, because I feel the tasmanian devil zoomies coming on, and I need to go to sleep, not get pissed off over a show that I've only watched once in the past year.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 10

Whoa, way to spoil there, Chris Hardwick (or maybe it was Melissa McBride) revealed that in the comics it's Negan who takes out Alpha. I can't imagine the TV show will change that since they're doing everything in their power to push this "redemption" for him. 

And yes, Anela, it galls me. Just imagine if they tried to do this with the Terminus guy. "Oh, he's changed. Sure, he killed and ate people, but he's a different person now." No, that wouldn't fly. The show thinks they can get away with that because it's Jeffrey Dean Morgan and fans just like him. All this talk about him being a father to Judith makes me sick.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Whoa, way to spoil there, Chris Hardwick (or maybe it was Melissa McBride) revealed that in the comics it's Negan who takes out Alpha. I can't imagine the TV show will change that since they're doing everything in their power to push this "redemption" for him. 

It was Melissa.  And while you’re probably right, the comics ceased being canon a ways back - so it’s hard to say for sure.  Personally, I’d like to see Carol being the whacker to Awful’s whackee.  😆

• Love 2
On 4/1/2019 at 1:54 AM, Anela said:

I don't watch TD anymore, but this is what I came here to post/complain about. This twitter comment just wound me up:

I don't watch the show anymore, but I actually ranted about this a bit, on my private twitter, because this particular time he was "taking care of her" he was a huge threat to her, her brother, her father, and everyone else that was alive at the time. It was a total power move, to scare Carl and Rick. In another comment, he calls Negan "dad of the year". I haven't read any further on the twitter tag, because I feel the tasmanian devil zoomies coming on, and I need to go to sleep, not get pissed off over a show that I've only watched once in the past year.

BUT JDM's SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!🤢

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

In another comment, he calls Negan "dad of the year".

I've mentioned before the huge number of sicko fans this guy has - I mean Negan, not JDM - and I'd say most are women who think rape is hot.

because this particular time he was "taking care of her" he was a huge threat to her, her brother, her father, and everyone else that was alive at the time.

Exactly! I won't say he would have harmed a baby, but his behavior here was an overt, obvious threat, bullying, informing everyone that he could do whatever he wanted to whomever he wanted at any time with impunity.  Judith was just a pawn, a prop, in his display of power. Maybe he has even become fond of her over the years, but that does not redeem him and I don't believe he can have real feelings for anyone. Even the Gov wasn't a rapist and didn't take overt glee in the atrocities he committed (or brag about his unit), but the TPTB wouldn't allow him to be redeemed. But I guess Negan is Bobby's ultimate alter-ego, so looks like it will happen and he'll become the knight in shining armour, protecting the helpless, huddled peasants from the terrible threat from a bunch of raggedy-ass, stinky kooks who whisper.

I never thought some TV show - not even a good show anymore -  could get me so irate as this plotline does.

• Love 4
(edited)

Anyone else see the debut of What Just Happened??! With Fred Savage last night? It was clearly a parody of after-shows like The Talking Dead, although Fred denies it. Honestly, I don't think this show will last long because it was pretty bad...

'What Just Happened': Fred Savage Explains the Truth (and Fiction) Behind Fox's Meta Comedy
JUNE 28, 2019 11:15am PT by Liz Shannon Miller
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/what-just-happened-fred-savage-explains-truth-fiction-behind-foxs-meta-comedy-1221649 

...  Instead, the above story is a part of the dense backstory built into Fox's extremely meta comedy What Just Happened??! With Fred Savage, in which the actor, producer and prolific director stars as the host of a Talking Dead-esque post-show for a Fox drama called The Flare (which doesn't exist), based on "author" TJ Whitford's books (which also don't exist).
According to Savage, What Just Happened??! — debuting Sunday on Fox — isn't a satire of talkback shows, but instead his and co-creators Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein's unique solution to Fox's request to come up with an idea for a talk show. 
So this isn't an opportunity for you to, as one example, make fun of Chris Hardwick? 
No. This is not a spoof or a lampooning of anything. This is definitely using the fervent fandom that defines after-shows, and the pop culture that come up around pop culture, and embrace it. No, this isn't a spoof or a lampooning, this is definitely me, unapologetically enthusiastic about the show.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

No, this isn't a spoof or a lampooning, this is definitely me, unapologetically enthusiastic about the show.

And I mean that, in all sincerity.

No, really.

😆

• Love 1

Ooh, maybe someone can mention to Hardwick that this could be Negan's Theme Song. He can play it on his "Let's Try to Explain What the Hell Just Happened on This  Show" after-show, with a little montage of poor lonely Negan.  Think of the hilarity and the tears.

• Love 1

Still love Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  Still hate Negan.  He can take his pretty mouth and shove it right up his shitting pants. 

The actress who plays Judith is one very self possessed child.  She handled herself better than a lot of the adult actors do on Talking Dead.

• Love 1

Who did Chris piss off at AMC? I mean, really, the only time most people have any interest at all in watching him fan-gush is right after they've seen the new episode themself. Now he's being cock-blocked with a different show every week? And if the first half of "Dispatches" was any indicator, nobody is going to still be tuned into AMC by the time Chris comes on. Watching a stupid show like TWD? Yeah, some of us still do. Continuing that stupidity with another, even stupider extension of that same show? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes. But first sitting through an hour of something boring and unrelated just to eventually see Chris jump up and down on the couch giggling at Kirkman's catch-phrase of the week that we were already starting to forget about an hour ago? Yeah, not so much. The only effective lead-in to TD, I fear, is the actual topic show itself. Otherwise it's just a very bad, lonely show crammed into a forgettable time slot.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Who did Chris piss off at AMC? I mean, really, the only time most people have any interest at all in watching him fan-gush is right after they've seen the new episode themself. Now he's being cock-blocked with a different show every week? And if the first half of "Dispatches" was any indicator, nobody is going to still be tuned into AMC by the time Chris comes on. Watching a stupid show like TWD? Yeah, some of us still do. Continuing that stupidity with another, even stupider extension of that same show? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes. But first sitting through an hour of something boring and unrelated just to eventually see Chris jump up and down on the couch giggling at Kirkman's catch-phrase of the week that we were already starting to forget about an hour ago? Yeah, not so much. The only effective lead-in to TD, I fear, is the actual topic show itself. Otherwise it's just a very bad, lonely show crammed into a forgettable time slot.

I didn't see enough of the new show to figure out what was going on, but I really liked the music. 

TD is an embarrassment. My DVR records it so at least I get to watch next weeks' previews, but the show is unbearable. It's the only show I FF thru. But this week's show was a bit more interesting. The actress who plays Gamma was on for the second time. She's kind of fun to watch because she's kind of naturally grouchy. But she was a little more relaxed for this appearance although at the end, it seemed her nerves were getting to her when trying to make some point. It's amazing how youthful she looks on the show.

14 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Who did Chris piss off at AMC?

I suspect it’s not so much Hardwick being in someone’s doghouse, as it is TPTB at  AMC are still living in the past - when TWD was still in its heyday, its TD aftershow was also very popular, and sandwiching a new series’ first couple of episodes between TWD and TD was a sure-fire way to get a few million eyes on the fledgling series, quick.  And it worked to a significant extent - back in the day, that is.  These days?  Not so much.

• Love 3

Chris seemed a little cheesed off to be airing in a different time slot, since he even mentioned that airing earlier is "where they belonged".

I saw the previews for Dispatches from Nowhere, but I still have no clue at all what it might be about.

I thought Nico Tortorella was trying pretty hard to hint that Rick was going to be on the new World Beyond show (probably just a cameo), because he kept emphasizing the word Rick, and they said this was the place where all the helicopters come from.

Wow, I didn't expect Talking Dead to be cancelled tonight due to the pandemic.  I would have thought they would have it without a crowd if nothing else.  Maybe there were travel problems, not sure who the guests were supposed to be, maybe they cancelled.  

I don't see why they couldn't just have a few guests on big screens teleconferencing, since most of the show is already just TWD clips set to loud annoying dance music. Giving a bald mannequin head to the studio audience shouldn't be that big a deal breaker. But, on the other hand, it's not a very good show anyway. The only real loss is that now we will have no one to explain things to us that the writers were supposed to.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • LOL 1

For me, this show is kind of "meh," if I'm up I'll keep it on in the background and look up if there's an interesting segment. But this 'at home' version really doesn't work for me. Makes me feel like I'm on zoom meeting for work. 

• Love 1