Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

Had to have been pre-taped, the actual Walking Dead show had a dedication/memoriam thing and I was surprised that they didn't have Hardwick pop up with a little update to show why they never mentioned it. Damn I liked Hershel.

• Love 4

I floved the interaction between Melissa and Norman.  Their easy banter and obvious affection mimicked the show/fauxmance; replete with Norman's faux outrage at Melissa's current show lurve life.

Somewhere, Yvette Nicole Brown is crying into her ring binder notes (GAH, I almost called her Nicole Brown Simpson!!!).

I am terrible with names.

• Love 6

I do enjoy the backstage interviews and the behind the scenes stuff of how scenes are set up, etc. But the sofa guests are just tedious and sometimes downright painful to sit through because they've all got to tow the line and pretend like everything about this show is super wonderful. Like it hasn't bled 6 million viewers over the last several seasons.

I don't think I would have realized that a year and a half had passed since the end of the last season without watching Talking because nowhere in the dialogue was that mentioned. I supposed it could have been gleaned by the fact that Maggie still wasn't even showing at the end of last season and now her baby seems to be about 8-9 months old (?) but it's hard to gauge time by  kid's ages because Judith seemed like she jumped from being a baby to a toddler overnight. Same thing could happen with Maggie's baby. 

I feel badly for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, because before Negan I bore him no ill will, whereas I can barely stomach the sight of him now.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Somewhere, Yvette Nicole Brown is crying into her ring binder notes (GAH, I almost called her Nicole Brown Simpson!!!)

They probably had to bar the doors to keep her out for this episode. She'd have let loose even Hardwick mentioned it. 

• Love 3

My husband and I had to watch Talking Dead separately and I text him  "They didn't mention Scott Wilson??"  And he texted back he had checked and it was pretaped.  This, my friends, is why we are married. 

They went on and on about the depth of the script and how meaningful the conversations were.  I was like "really I just thought Daryl liked Hilltop better".  

• Love 2

Stfu, Hardwick. Brett Butler is "PHENOMINAL!" ?? This guy is insufferable. Even the guy who plays Jesus looks at him like, 'WTF is your problem? How lame.'

Also the Winan guest again? Shes a horrible guest. Just cringe listening to her talk. 

Nacon's shirt is cute. Buti hate listening to canned anecdotes.

• Love 2

Wow Tom Payne's hair is getting really long. Just a thought, if it's in the way, cut it. Man-bun isn't the only solution. We know you've got scissors out there, look at Rick's hair. I guess they want him to maintain the character's comic book look.

It's really laughable listening to these actors ponder their characters' motivations as though a lot of thought goes into the writing on this show.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Butless said:

Stfu, Hardwick. Brett Butler is "PHENOMINAL!" ?? This guy is insufferable. Even the guy who plays Jesus looks at him like, 'WTF is your problem? How lame.'

Also the Winan guest again? Shes a horrible guest. Just cringe listening to her talk. 

Nacon's shirt is cute. Buti hate listening to canned anecdotes.

I have wasted too much time today already trying to figure out whose blouse that was.  Anybody know? 

Talking Dead usually cracks me up because some of these cast members are so deadly serious with their explanations and character motivations and they're just acting whatever wacked ideas the writers have come up, nonsensical or not.  Some (like Jesus) are less painful than Darma who just loves to herself talk.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's really laughable listening to these actors ponder their characters' motivations as though a lot of thought goes into the writing on this show.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Jon Bernthal got asked in some interview or panel or something what it meant when Shane stared out the window at the lone walker shuffling in the field, and he hestitated like he was thinking of some actorly answer, and then broke out in a grin and said, fuck, I don't know.  LOL  Pure honesty. 

• Love 10

I have never watched this and never will. Just an accidental glimpse of Hardwick's flapping piehole, excited, watery eyes, carefully cultivated scruff and overly-done hairdo is too much for me. Reading the comments here from people with the necessary fortitude to endure it is plenty entertaining, so thanks.

20 hours ago, Butless said:

Stfu, Hardwick. Brett Butler is "PHENOMINAL!" ??

Whatever you say, you little weasel.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVJunkee said:

I have wasted too much time today already trying to figure out whose blouse that was.  Anybody know? 

Talking Dead usually cracks me up because some of these cast members are so deadly serious with their explanations and character motivations and they're just acting whatever wacked ideas the writers have come up, nonsensical or not.  Some (like Jesus) are less painful than Darma who just loves to herself talk.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5393649/

Your new Taylor Swift; that's who.

Actually, Dharma for as shitty as she is, had a nice blouse on in her last of a dozen appearances on TD, too.

I think what Im saying is, its only worth tuning in for the blouses.

Srsly: Nacon says its Anthropolgie.

Frankly, I am annoyed at having to watch this kid , who just flopped onto WD as an annoying character and who is still a bland character 3 years later. Its not the actress' fault. She lucked out, as an unskilled actor, getting plucked to be on this show. And she cant know how annoying it is to watch her on an aftershow instead of the kid we watched grow up on the show.  For all of his faults, Riggs stayed humble, or at least showed as humble. And she seems like she's let her fame go to her head.  I dont care if youre a newly minted actor at 18 or 81. here's some really good advice:  no one gives a shit about hearing you sing.  JSHS. Just Stay Humble Somehow :)

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wow Tom Payne's hair is getting really long. Just a thought, if it's in the way, cut it. Man-bun isn't the only solution. We know you've got scissors out there, look at Rick's hair. I guess they want him to maintain the character's comic book look.

I find his elongated beard unnerving. He looks like a devil. A minor one, to be sure, but pop a few horns up there, and he looks like a devil.  Or maybe give him a black turtleneck and a medallion, and  he could be a devil worshiper.

Edited by Butless
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Butless said:

I find his elongated beard unnerving. He looks like a devil. A minor one, to be sure, but pop a few horns up there, and he looks like a devil.  Or maybe give him a black turtleneck and a medallion, and  he could be a devil worshiper.

I think he's absolutely gorgeous.

I'd bow down at the altar of sinning for a piece of that  :D :D :D 

(Meaning Tom Payne, the actor...but Jesus the character?  Not so much)

• Love 5
On 10/16/2018 at 2:44 PM, Persnickety1 said:

He's the closest thing to looking like an actually billygoat, that I have ever seen.  I mean, he even kicks people. The furries must love him.

• Love 6
On 10/16/2018 at 11:44 AM, Persnickety1 said:

He's pretty.  And I love his shiny hair.  ;-)

• Love 4

Pollyanna McIntosh is a lovely woman but I'm not necessarily interested in hearing her take on her character's motivations. For one thing I think the character was a misstep from the start, and for another we know these actors have already finished filming at least half the season and know where the story is going. I don't see the point of asking them to speculate what they think will happen next when obviously they know and can't tell.

As for Sydney Park, her character might as well be one of the myriad nameless extras wandering around in the background for all I care about her. The way she waxed on and on about her monologue you'd have thought she was really pivotal to the show instead of someone I couldn't pick out of a lineup with a gun to my head.

The only point of interest here was learning that the kid who plays Judith calls Andrew Lincoln "stinky Linky." 

• Love 5

Oh, OK, so megalomaniac Gimple plans on doing a movie and speshuls and prequels and more series-es. Like spin-offs, I guess? With established characters whose stories weren't fully explored on the original show, you know, when they had the actors under contract and viewers were tuning in every week in record numbers. NOW he's planning on this? Bwah ha ha ha, ha ha. 

(Adding insult to injury, he said all of that with a straight face and a self-satisfied little smile).

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, suomi said:

Oh, OK, so megalomaniac Gimple plans on doing a movie and speshuls and prequels and more series-es. Like spin-offs, I guess? With established characters whose stories weren't fully explored on the original show, you know, when they had the actors under contract and viewers were tuning in every week in record numbers. NOW he's planning on this? Bwah ha ha ha, ha ha. 

(Adding insult to injury, he said all of that with a straight face and a self-satisfied little smile).

Gimple the pimple.  We SEE you, dickswab.

• Love 5

Yeah I watched 5 minutes of talking dead and was wondering what people thought about Gimple's comments. I think him and AMC are greatly overestimating the audience's desires for yet more Walking Dead content. If they're expecting more than the bad ratings Fear is currently getting, then they're likely deluding themselves. I'm afraid that ship has sailed with this show - the audience is getting burnt out and leaving. Personally, I figured I'd hang on until Rick's departure, but I'll give it til the midseason finale. 

• Love 4

Yeah I watched 5 minutes of talking dead and was wondering what people thought about Gimple's comments. I think him and AMC are greatly overestimating the audience's desires for yet more Walking Dead content. If they're expecting more than the bad ratings Fear is currently getting, then they're likely deluding themselves. I'm afraid that ship has sailed with this show - the audience is getting burnt out and leaving. Personally, I figured I'd hang on until Rick's departure, but I'll give it til the midseason finale. 

This. I guess there's an expectation the audience would check out a TV movie that explained what happened to Rick, but beyond that? Nope. Both Gimple and AMC are in extreme denial when it comes to the ratings. They want to hand-wave them away as reflective of changing viewing habits rather than loss of audience due to declining quality in the show. In their minds the show is just as popular now as it was five or six years ago when the numbers were around 14 million. They're delusional.

• Love 5

I've come to the conclusion that the reason The Walking Dead feels so tired and stupid much of the time is because of this show, Talking Dead.  A good part of it, anyway.

Everybody treating TWD as if it oh-so-serious high drama and high art, and as if every nuance by the actors is a brilliant stroke:

Makes the show seem self-important, pompous, and overwrought, while simultaneously raising expectations, which aren't met.

If we just watched TWD by itself, without following it with another hour of over-praising, it would probably go down a lot easier.  Plus we wouldn't have put faces to the show runners and such (giving us a target to vent our dissatisfaction on ).  When they do something stupid (like killing Carl), and then they go on Talking Dead saying what a necessary and smart decision it was, it's inviting a backlash.

• Love 5

I do not get the appeal of this show .... it’s terrible on so many levels..... and is a living, breathing example of how they really think the audience are morons and that’s just fine with them.... if I were a cast member I would rather get the bubonic plague than sit on that couch....

• Love 1

Why is this an hour now? Was it always an hour? They don't even have half an hour's worth of material. 

I can understand the point of having a cast or crew member on as a guest, but these random celebrity fans are so pointless. I mean, I have nothing against Yvette Nicole Brown or Drew Scott but why exactly should I care what they think about the show?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why is this an hour now? Was it always an hour? They don't even have half an hour's worth of material. 

I can understand the point of having a cast or crew member on as a guest, but these random celebrity fans are so pointless. I mean, I have nothing against Yvette Nicole Brown or Drew Scott but why exactly should I care what they think about the show?

Originally, it was half an hour.  I don't remember when they changed it to an hour.  30 min was okay for some wrap-up and behind the scenes, but an hour is tedious.  I agree, the random guests are mostly terrible, although I like YNB because she actually, truly watches it and knows what's going on.

16 hours ago, rmontro said:

Plus we wouldn't have put faces to the show runners and such (giving us a target to vent our dissatisfaction on ).  When they do something stupid (like killing Carl), and then they go on Talking Dead saying what a necessary and smart decision it was, it's inviting a backlash.

Good point.  They also painted themselves into a corner by starting the trend of the latest deceased character to appear on the couch, because then they had to explain that along with the cliff hanger of Glenn.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, peach said:

They also painted themselves into a corner by starting the trend of the latest deceased character to appear on the couch, because then they had to explain that along with the cliff hanger of Glenn.

In no series I've watched, and granted there haven't been that many in the last 15 or so years, never has someone who died during an ep appeared after the show, sitting there on a sofa smiling and professionally made up to discuss their horrific death. It kind of takes away the illusion, shock/sadness and whatever, from what we just saw. I've never heard of such a thing.  It's so bizarre and well, stupid.

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

In no series I've watched, and granted there haven't been that many in the last 15 or so years, never has someone who died during an ep appeared after the show, sitting there on a sofa smiling and professionally made up to discuss their horrific death. It kind of takes away the illusion, shock/sadness and whatever, from what we just saw. I've never heard of such a thing.  It's so bizarre and well, stupid.

Methinks TPTB assume a significant portion of their audience has issues separating fiction from reality.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure how wrong they are about that....  ;>

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Methinks TPTB assume a significant portion of their audience has issues separating fiction from reality.

Probably true, but they must also think their audience is composed of brain-dead morons. On the shows I've watched, TPTB didn't give a rat's ass if their audience was composed of dullards who  couldn't understand what they just watched and they had no intention of hiring some squeaky-voiced little shit to hysterically explain it later in words of one syllable. I guess it's just part of the general dumbing down that abounds. I've never watched one second of this after-show and it still pisses me off. Maybe I need professional help.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

Probably true, but they must also think their audience is composed of brain-dead morons. On the shows I've watched, TPTB didn't give a rat's ass if their audience was composed of dullards who  couldn't understand what they just watched and they had no intention of hiring some squeaky-voiced little shit to hysterically explain it later in words of one syllable. I guess it's just part of the general dumbing down that abounds. I've never watched one second of this after-show and it still pisses me off. Maybe I need professional help.

I’m vaguely positive on TTD, but primarily because (a) Chris Hardwick grew up in Memphis and (b) I like it whenever a Tennessee boy makes good.  :>

• Love 2

I saw the Talking Dead that was on after Rick's last episode.  Scott Gimple was on there and he was talking about how they were going to have movies dealing with what happened with Rick, and other specials and movies and whatnot dealing with past characters that have died, and just a lot more Walking Dead content in general.  There even seemed to be an implication there would be another spin off or two.  

I guess that's good news for die hard Walking Dead fans, but it just seems to me that at a time when the original series feels a little tired, I'm not sure that flooding the market with more content is going to be the best idea.  The Rick movie (or movies) sounds interesting though.  I'd like to see what happens that keeps him from getting back in contact with Michonne and his children.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2018 at 6:01 PM, rmontro said:

I'd like to see what happens that keeps him from getting back in contact with Michonne and his children.

He was busy. He was holed up in his trailer, memorizing his lines for the first movie. 

• Love 1

Tonight, Chris mentions Lauren's last episode was 9.05 but Maggie's story is not finished. They couldn't give her a decent exit or a final appearance on "Talking"? Did she leave on bad terms?

I am now convinced TWD will not end until they sell every merchandise they can come up with.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

I stopped watching Chris Hardwick and Co. as a "must see" back around season 5-ish.  Some viewing was required (doesn't anyone remember TWD episodes that were so dimly lit, or the dialog so quiet that you needed a recap to know what happened?) and it was fun to hear from some of the cast, see how special effects were done, listen to superfan's critiques of the show.  Now... meh.  Thankfully, I never fully watched recaps of FTWD because that spinoff has been pretty much crap since the beginning.  Stopped watching that summer replacement after season 1.  I don't think Talking Dead is needed anymore.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, mxc90 said:

I am now convinced TWD will not end until they sell every merchandise they can come up with.

That's where I'm at now.  Money, money, money.  You aren't supporting your fan base with good story, but  just want to crawl into their pockets. 

• Love 3
On 11/26/2018 at 12:33 AM, mxc90 said:

Tonight, Chris mentions Lauren's last episode was 9.05 but Maggie's story is not finished. They couldn't give her a decent exit or a final appearance on "Talking"? Did she leave on bad terms?

That did seem odd.  In fact, we never even got to see Maggie exit onscreen.  From what I understand, they want to film more content with Maggie (whether it be a movie, a special, a spinoff, whatever).  But right now, she is involved in an ABC pilot for Whiskey Cavalier.  I don't think there's any bad blood there, unless they're miffed that she's doing something else and isn't making herself available.

As far as the merchandise, the series already feels like it's overextended with the Fear the Walking Dead show (which they have essentially rebooted).  Adding more shows really seems like flooding the market.

• Love 2
On 26/11/2018 at 5:33 AM, mxc90 said:

They should have shown her leaving with Georgie, she might never be back and should have had at least a wave goodbye from Jesus and Tara, whatever went on she deserved that at least. It wouldn’t have detracted from the attention paid to golden balls and his last hurrah.

I do have to say that Maggie related Merch is very thin on the ground, a very small very poor selection, I think they are missing out on much 💰💰by not making more of an effort.

Edited by OoohMaggie

I know last year there were contract negotiations (7 years is standard so all the originals were up for renewal) and I know there was a bit of a dust up with Lauren Cohan, I'm assuming that Andrew Lincoln already knew it was his last season, they had already killed off Steven Yeun and many many leads, she knew that going into this season there were only 3 main "old schoolers" returning, Michonne (this is technically Danai 7th season) , Darryl and Maggie and she asked for more money. AMC balked. I remember seeing Khary Payton post "Pay the girl" and a picture of Maggie, I think negotiations dragged on a while. She had the offer for the pilot for Whiskey Cavalier and I think AMC called her bluff. I think she got a bump in pay but not what she asked for thus the awkward exit.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I know last year there were contract negotiations (7 years is standard so all the originals were up for renewal) and I know there was a bit of a dust up with Lauren Cohan, I'm assuming that Andrew Lincoln already knew it was his last season, they had already killed off Steven Yeun and many many leads, she knew that going into this season there were only 3 main "old schoolers" returning, Michonne (this is technically Danai 7th season) , Darryl and Maggie and she asked for more money. AMC balked. I remember seeing Khary Payton post "Pay the girl" and a picture of Maggie, I think negotiations dragged on a while. She had the offer for the pilot for Whiskey Cavalier and I think AMC called her bluff. I think she got a bump in pay but not what she asked for thus the awkward exit.

Don’t forget Carol, she and Daryl are the only season 1 survivors left. Even as a Maggie fan I can’t give the show much abuse over what went on, mainly because nobody knows what she wanted, what she was offered, or what compromises were or were not made or offered in regards to her being able to film not only her movie mile 22, but the Whiskey Cavalier shows. 

There doesn’t seem to be any bad feeling going by what Kang has been saying, so hopefully she’ll be back in S10 as has been mentioned. Nobody in the show has the same ‘billing’ as Rick or Daryl, that’s just a fact and asking for pay parity, as has been suggested she did, just isn’t realistic, parity with the other characters at her level certainly, Carol, Michonne, but equal top billing, no.

But once again, none of us know the truth, so I just hope to see her at some point next year, if not I’ve always got the DVDs to watch, now where was that shower scene!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, rmontro said:

Adding more shows really seems like flooding the market.

I would welcome a spin off that concentrates on the outbreak of the ZA, which spends more time on it than Fear did. I want to see people absolutely terrified of the Walkers, not knowing what the hell to do or how to do it. Let’s get back to the sheer terror of the dead coming back to life. Frank Darabont’s vision of a military unit fighting its way across an infected city is still top of my Christmas list.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

I would welcome a spin off that concentrates on the outbreak of the ZA, which spends more time on it than Fear did. I want to see people absolutely terrified of the Walkers, not knowing what the hell to do or how to do it. Let’s get back to the sheer terror of the dead coming back to life. Frank Darabont’s vision of a military unit fighting its way across an infected city is still top of my Christmas list.

If they're gonna do another outbreak show (after having botched it in FTWD's 1st season), I'd like to see them set it in England.  Two reasons - (1) we don't know for sure what happened in other countries (the Americas may just be quarantined) so there isn't the prequel problem of knowing where things end up; and (2) the actors can use their natural accents.
(I sometimes feel like Reedus and McBride are the only Americans on the show.)  

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, rab01 said:

If they're gonna do another outbreak show (after having botched it in FTWD's 1st season), I'd like to see them set it in England.  Two reasons - (1) we don't know for sure what happened in other countries (the Americas may just be quarantined) so there isn't the prequel problem of knowing where things end up; and (2) the actors can use their natural accents.
(I sometimes feel like Reedus and McBride are the only Americans on the show.)  

I’m heartened to see you’ve chosen England over the other countries in the U.K., we’ve already had the films 28 days and weeks, plus ‘the girl with all the gifts’, a great film with Infected that actually go to sleep until disturbed, check it out, tip toeing through a hoard of dozing undead  is scary as shit. They make the Whisperers look like a bunch of girl guides.

You guys do seem to use a lot of Brits using fake accents in your shows, I wouldn’t know why that is! 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1