Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

Did anyone else think Kirkman gave a sneaky nod to the comics with his comments about Spencer having guts? 

I have no idea.  I don't read the comics.  I did feel like he's putting the comics out there as a discussion point more often than they used to on TD.  I feel they are expecting the comics to fill in the gaps on the TWD more than they used to as well.  That or the writing has fallen off and the comics just happen to be there for those that read them.

• Love 4

I just really hate when they pair Kirkman with a cast member who just died.

TWD uses Kirkman like he's from Human Resources - the last person you see when you are fired. It appears TWD set is a great set to work on, and Kirkman, being the asshole that he is, inadvertendly helps in the grieving process.  The fired cast member suffers Kirkman during the exit interview and thinks to him/herself - "Maybe I am better off."

• Love 15

I had absolutely no opinion on Kirkman when he first appeared on this show. I haven't read his comics so really I had no basis on which to form any sort of like or dislike of him. I read with amusement the negative opinions during his earlier appearances. Now? I can't stand the man. He is annoying, smug and apparently lacking empathy towards those who loved his work and are now leaving the show. I dread his appearances because he sucks the life from the couch.

Edited by Irishmaple
  • Love 11

Because I disliked Beth so much, Kirkman didn't rankle me as much during that appearance. But I really didn't like his attitude towards Tovah either. Even if he's just truly unaware of the dick he is, or has some kind of social disorder (and I don't think he is unaware and I think he is fully functioning twatwaffle). She was saying such great things about the show, the cast, the way they run it, how the cast interacts etc, that was not a woman bitching. She was truly happy to have had the experience and he owed her a hug not "that'll do pig" pat on the leg. I didn't hate Deanna but I didn't feel it was too soon, I think her character made poor decisions, not out of being evil, just slow to adapt to the world. That doesn't reflect on Tovah Feldshuh, that's a marvelous human being, who appreciated a genre that was clearly out of her element. Treat quality people with dignity you douchebag, Kirkman. I was over Deanna, had no problems with her going but the woman sitting on that couch, I couldn't help but love.  So help me god, Kirkman,  if you make me feel bad for Beth I'll rip out your throat with my teeth. 

• Love 7

I was not a fan of the Beth character and thought that EK was a pretty poor actress. But I could understand how upset she was to have to leave the show. I grew up doing quite a bit of community theater and also some traveling productions. In 7th and 8th grade I went on the road for 6 weeks, performing A Christmas Carol all over the country. In that time, I became super close with many of the cast. And, this may sound weird, but you also get really attached to your characters, the story, the entire lifestyle, etc. That was only 6 weeks, and my character wasn't killed off while the rest of my friends still got to hang out together - and I was still super sad when it was over and needed some time to adjust to "regular life" again. So I can totally understand how someone that spent YEARS doing this would be a bit emotional. I'm not saying Kirkman should have offered her her job back or held her hand the entire time, but he just comes off as so dismissive. I think he's still just stuck in comic book land and totally unaware that these are real people acting out the stories of his characters. 

• Love 10

Well, good call on putting The Talking Dead back on at 10 p.m. next year. That "Kill Bill" Meets "Game of Thrones" nonsense can go.

How appropriate that Jason Alexander was a guest as the Wolf in Captivity No More has teeth just like George Costanza's high school gym teacher.

"Can't stand ya!"

• Love 6

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we know the story/characters better than Kirkman, the dude that wrote it?

I don't think that we know the characters any better.  I think we are more interested in the characters than Kirkman though. Kirkman seems to get very focused on what he cares about to the exclusion of all else and takes it to the extreme of anything he's not interested in isn't valid and is actually off limits.  That he specifically shot down exploring how the zombie outbreak happened in FTWD is the perfect example of this.

I think it was a little better when some of the characters were reportedly diverging from the comics and that was a new thing.  But lately, the TV characters are who they are and the show seems focused on showing major comic moments and characters.  Since Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene showed up in comic book costumes and pose its felt a bit like they are ticking off boxes of plot points at hyper speed.   They don't really seem to be showing any interest in using a different medium to go deeper than comics allow.  I'd argue that they are shallower since I have to look up the names groups are given in wikis to figure out what is ging on with the show. Maybe its because Kirkman is bored and he's done it already or his interest in the characterization fits perfectly with comics and TV doesn't offer him any different storytelling opportunities that he thinks is worthwhile.

I don't know how the pace of the comics ad TV show compare, but I wonder if the show would get reinvigorated if they ended up where GoT is and passed the source material and had to use TV to tell the story first.  Actually, no I don't.  That is basically what is happening with FTWD and having to come up with brand new ideas isn't working for them.

Completely unrelated... I cracked up at how transparently irritated Hardwick was at being pushed back to 11PM in his announcement that they were going back to where they belonged in Feb.  I doubt this is the last time this will happen.  They are going to do this every time they want to launch a new show.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3

I was not a fan of the Beth character and thought that EK was a pretty poor actress. But I could understand how upset she was to have to leave the show. I grew up doing quite a bit of community theater and also some traveling productions. In 7th and 8th grade I went on the road for 6 weeks, performing A Christmas Carol all over the country. In that time, I became super close with many of the cast. And, this may sound weird, but you also get really attached to your characters, the story, the entire lifestyle, etc. That was only 6 weeks, and my character wasn't killed off while the rest of my friends still got to hang out together - and I was still super sad when it was over and needed some time to adjust to "regular life" again. So I can totally understand how someone that spent YEARS doing this would be a bit emotional. I'm not saying Kirkman should have offered her her job back or held her hand the entire time, but he just comes off as so dismissive. I think he's still just stuck in comic book land and totally unaware that these are real people acting out the stories of his characters. 

I understood her being so upset, as well. It must be nice to be that close to your co-workers, and be great friends/family. 

• Love 3

I had absolutely no opinion on Kirkman when he first appeared on this show. I haven't read his comics so really I had no basis on which to form any sort of like or dislike of him. I read with amusement the negative opinions during his earlier appearances. Now? I can't stand the man. He is annoying, smug and apparently lacking empathy towards those who loved his work and are now leaving the show. I dread his appearances because he sucks the life from the couch.

He's often on the couch on MSF episodes, and I wish they'd quit doing that. This probably bugged me most with Scott Wilson and Lauren Cohan, after his death in S4. This episode, Kirkman didn't bother me anymore than usual, so I guess there's that. LOVED that someone asked him about walker guts and that Jason was all YES, DO TELL. Kirkman surely knew he'd be asked that at some point, and he provided a BS response to the extreme.

I can't help it, I like Chris. Even with so much of the show being annoying and senseless, he has to fill a ton into a live show, and I find he usually holds it together. What I also love? Is that I can watch TD in like 15-20 minutes. I watch the couch discussions, behind-the scenes info and interviews, hell even the polls. All else, like social media stuff, quizzes, and now video parties I can fast forward right through. And I think the TD producers are doing a better job screening non-TWD guests beforehand this year. The first couple years, the guests were so hit or miss, and I remember some episodes being way more painful to watch (M.Manson, I'm looking right at ya).

Edited by dannymoon
  • Love 7

At least Tovah is a strong, capable grown-up who could hold her own against Dickish Man-Baby rather than making me feel like a grief counselor should be waiting in the wings to whisk her off to therapy as soon as the talk show raps. I really have never gotten the sense that Emily Kinney is a functional adult, and if I cared about her at all I would have been seriously worried about her post-exit interview.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

I guess like a lot of people, Kirkman has no idea what actors have to go through in order to perform. Its not like any other art form because we have to literally stop being ourselves and fully be someone completely different and that is a heavy thing to do. We get emotionally fully invested in order to be that other person, that stranger and make them be the real person. EK, being so young, this being her first real big job, of COURSE she would be overly emotional when she had her appearance, I understood perfectly (and my heart just about broke for her.) Kirkman is a writer, he just imagines horrible scenarios and has someone else draw them for him. Maybe he cares about this or that character more than other characters but ultimately his characters are just words on a page. He really can not conceive of the internal process of acting (most people cant. most people think it's something like playing make believe or worse, its like lying). Also I think Kirkman is just a flat out shmuck.

• Love 4

Kirkman really does need to learn some people skills. If he even looked like he was trying to show some empathy I wouldn't cringe every time he is announced as a guest.

I feel a little sorry that Kinney had to learn a hard lesson on live television, but it is a lesson that she needed to learn (and should have learned a few years ago). There is no such thing as reliable employment in any field, and it is very sad to lose a job and the friends that you made while at work. However, going into a crying jag and saying that two co-workers "would have fought for me" if they had known what was coming just makes people really uncomfortable, and may effect future employability if people who do the hiring consider you immature and unable to handle stressful situations.

Co-workers are employees too. They can't stop the termination of your employment. I (now) feel really bad that a nearly 30 year old has so few coping skills...I hope she has grown up since then...but at the time of that episode all I was was really annoyed with her. Kirkman was a dick, but that fiasco was not entirely his fault.

I really wish that the creator of something that I enjoy wasn't so abrasive, but I can ignore him when I have to.

• Love 3

I do think it's because the show isn't his genre, his characters are two dimensional. It is easier to kill off characters when you don't have to look them in the eye. And yes, Tovah is a professional. She had a lot of class and I'm glad to know that she loved the time she spent there and even if she wasn't ready for it to be over she's still chuffed as hell with the experience. I think when we hear of the parties for Hershel, Merle, Tdawg, Shane, etc, the people who work with the show for a long time and their time is up that isn't Kirkman. I think everyone else associated with the show do care about the people and work on giving closure to the cast. Kirkman thinks it's like when the light goes out in the fridge when you shut the door. Buh-bye. 

KILL THE KID! DRINK HIS BLOOD!

I think I love Jason Alexander.

And kudos to the actor for tweeting his response. Keep it up, kid!

Seems CH has a little trouble with the comics-spoiling... did we know about the name of the new Harley gang? And I guess if the casting is "out there" (in the media), it's okay, but I for one didn't know about JDM. All will be forgiven if they can get Keegan Michael Key to make a cameo, shouting "Neeeeegan! Neeeeeeeegan! You forgot your jacket!!"

• Love 6

KILL THE KID! DRINK HIS BLOOD!

I think I love Jason Alexander.

And kudos to the actor for tweeting his response. Keep it up, kid!

Seems CH has a little trouble with the comics-spoiling... did we know about the name of the new Harley gang? And I guess if the casting is "out there" (in the media), it's okay, but I for one didn't know about JDM. All will be forgiven if they can get Keegan Michael Key to make a cameo, shouting "Neeeeegan! Neeeeeeeegan! You forgot your jacket!!"

I now need this in my life.

• Love 2

I grew up doing quite a bit of community theater and also some traveling productions. In 7th and 8th grade I went on the road for 6 weeks, performing A Christmas Carol all over the country.

Kirkman could reboot this....Scrooge stomps around the office wearing an eyepatch and all his terrorized employees call him Guvnor.....

• Love 3

Hardwick on Walking Dead increasingly reminds me of Michael Cole on WWE commentary. Totally castrated and unable to get a word of his own in edgewise because of all the plugs and sponsorship nonsense on the show he has to throw to in the fastest talking voice possible. Dunno if anyone else here watches wrestling, but that's the first thing that came to mind for me on the MSF version of TD. At which point I reflexively muted it, as I do for much of WWE commentary, and my husband had to remind me that this was a regular TV show for which I ought to just fast forward the crap.

Edited by Lii

Tonight's guests...

Greg Nicotero

Carrie Underwood

and a Surprise guest.

Well, at least one guest will be easy on the eyes... not sure about anything else, though.

I'm guessing the most usual scenario behind "Suprise Guest" means someone dies in the episode and is on the couch?

Dang. In addition to being hot, Wolfie has nice teeth. And what is it with Brit/Aussie accents, that they always add an extra layer of something good?

A lot of Aussies and Brits on this show. Guess there aren't any American actors available.....

I laughed at

Sam: You never had a chance LOL

My fave?

"Ron........ say Hi to your dad for us."   Literally LOL'd at that one.

CU = easy on the eyes, not so easy on the IQ.

[looking forward to next week's trio of guests - well, 2 of the 3 anyways (NF & DG)]

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

One thing that bugged me is the explanation of TV Carl's injury during TD.

In the comics, Carl was pretty much shot directly in the eye, with the bullet traveling on through and everything between his eye and his cheekbone blown away; Comic Carl had a huge hole in the side of his face, like someone took a big bite out of his head. I recall a lot of fans cried foul that Carl wasn't instantly killed, given that a sizeable chunk of his head was missing and the bullet must have hit brain matter.

In the television version of the injury, as the show people painstakingly explained on TD, the bullet hit TV Carl's cheekbone at an angle, sending bone fragments into his eye and moving away from his face. They were very clear that the bullet didn't actually hit brain. Now, the show people tried to make it sound as if Comic Carl and TV Carl had the same injury and that the challenge was in adapting the comic book injury, but I think the show people changed the nature of the injury in deference to medical realities (and to fend off fans crying foul at Carl surviving).

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

I'm not sure guys. The wolf actor is looking a little too Night Stalker/Richard Ramirez to me. Nice accent though.

I wish Chris would shut up sometimes.  Is he trying to be cool?  Impress Carrie?   I can't watch it live,  i have to record and FF.  I wish the wolf hadn't died.  He was interesting.

The show does well casting for those short-term roles. I also really liked Negan's mouth piece, the actor who played Gareth, Martinez, and the guy in charge of Martinez's group (who Governor killed).

Don't knock Carrie; she grew up an Okie from Muskogee.  Hell, she probably shoots better than Sasha.

She'd probably shoot herself in the eye.  I haven't liked her in anything she's inserted herself into and, yet again, she stinks up the room.

Jesus take the wheel and drive Carrie off a cliff.

• Love 4

I think I'm the only one alive who doesn't think the Wolf is hot. Good actor, but not good looking at all, IMO. 

Carrie Underwood and her inane comments ruined this episode for me. 

Saving grace - Major Dodson (crazy name for a kid....or anyone, other than, you know, a Major in the Army) revealing that he goes antiquing with Melissa McBride!

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 5

One thing that bugged me is the explanation of TV Carl's injury during TD....

In the television version of the injury, as the show people painstakingly explained on TD, the bullet hit TV Carl's cheekbone at an angle, sending bone fragments into his eye and moving away from his face. They were very clear that the bullet didn't actually hit brain. Now, the show people tried to make it sound as if Comic Carl and TV Carl had the same injury and that the challenge was in adapting the comic book injury, but I think the show people changed the nature of the injury in deference to medical realities (and to fend off fans crying foul at Carl surviving).

I liked that they explained it solely because on other sites, I've had to wade through posts of Beth fans complaining that Carl can survive a gun shot but Beth can't. Because the one constant on this show has to be if a bullet touches the brain, the person/walker dies and while for me, it was clear that the bullet didn't go through his head, some fans would have taken that and ran with it. I didn't get that they were trying to say it was the same injury as the comics (same overall, injury to the eye but not the exact same), but I am happy they changed it for more reality. There are some things that can happen in the comics because it's suspended reality, but the show needs to exist in some realm of reality. 

Walking Dead is her jam, 'cause she "likes movies" and "likes shows."

While that sounded super dumb, I got what she meant to say - she started off by saying it's in her genre, and that she likes movies and likes shows [within that genre] but it got muddled due to what I assume was some nerves.  

I find 3 guests is too many for this show. Carrie didn't provide much but she was also only asked like 2 questions the entire night. Wolf didn't add much either.  I fear Austin will fit that role next week between Danai and Nathan.