Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

Tovah said it's 24 months into the ZA, and Kirkman said nothing. So it's canon?

ETA: They bleeped "shit" in the prologue (at 11:20 p.m.), but left it in during Into the Badlands (at 10:05).

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I didn't expect to like Jason but he is bringing truth bombs tonight

I loved him pointing out the non-reactions to Sam but a,so understood it from a director point of view- everything got quiet so it seemed focused on him only. So you'd imagine they'd all be like that, all focused inward.

But I'd be like Jason and probably kill the kid too.

Okay Major is such a smartass I love bim

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 4

I really dislike fan videos and watching fan parties.

For once an audience member asks an intelligence question and Kirkman dismissed it ridiculously. He claimed the walker guts are full of nasty germs when CDB has spent months prior to Alexandria and other short sanctuaries soaked in zombie gore.

• Love 7

Jason Alexander rocks.  Great guest tonight - especially his view on Sam.

Kirkman is smarmy.

Tovah Feldshuh was very likable.  Kinda sad to see her character gone now, more so than before.

For once an audience member asks an intelligence question and Kirkman dismissed it ridiculously. He claimed the walker guts are full of nasty germs when CDB has spent months prior to Alexandria and other short sanctuaries soaked in zombie gore.

Not only that, but what, are they gonna 'catch' the disease by doing that?  Oh wait, they're already infected! 

What a bad imitation of a non-answer.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4

It seemed like there was very little content in this episode. It was 90% commercials, fan videos and fan parties. I wish they had given over more time for Tovah and Jason to talk, I don't care about someone's backyard tailgate. Chris seemed more into promoting things than usual and seemed very frantic. It's not his fault, he only has so much time to get in everything, but damn were there commercials. 

• Love 4

The real answer about the guts is that they have now realized that they needed to retcon a tool that made zombie survival too easy.  I buy that it could make someone more likely to become ill.  They just didn't think of that early enough for it to be anything but a retcon.

• Love 5

Yes, it is hard to believe that a bite is automatically fatal, even if the fever and the wound could be treated, but getting infected guts into your mouth, nose and in any cuts you might have is no problem. And I get that it comes back to they are all infected, but in that case a bite shouldn't automatically kill you provided you treat the symptoms. To me it would have been easier to say that bites, scratches and getting zombie guts in open wounds could kill you, but then they would have to figure out other ways for CDB to get close but not too close.

• Love 4

I love the joking attitudes they have on-set.  The "who do I have to sleep with around here to get a flashback" from TF, followed immediately by CHs "me, me, me.  I know a guy ... but you should know that Jason Alexander is present for everything."  lol

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

So it seemed to me that maybe Hardwick doesnt really like Kirkman very much either.

What gave you that impression?

As for Tovah, the makeup artists had to convey that she was sick and dying in this episode, which is what I meant.

Yes, it is hard to believe that a bite is automatically fatal, even if the fever and the wound could be treated, but getting infected guts into your mouth, nose and in any cuts you might have is no problem. And I get that it comes back to they are all infected, but in that case a bite shouldn't automatically kill you provided you treat the symptoms. To me it would have been easier to say that bites, scratches and getting zombie guts in open wounds could kill you, but then they would have to figure out other ways for CDB to get close but not too close.

Unfortunately, that would involve something impossibly high-tech. Like a pointy stick.

• Love 4

What gave you that impression?

As for Tovah, the makeup artists had to convey that she was sick and dying in this episode, which is what I meant.

I'm not talking about the gray cast on this episode. Several people have commented on Tovah's skin since she first appeared on the show, and some people respond that it's the makeup. However there was never any need for "detrimental" makeup in the context of her appearances. What we were seeing was her true skin damage.

• Love 2

I'm not talking about the gray cast on this episode. Several people have commented on Tovah's skin since she first appeared on the show, and some people respond that it's the makeup. However there was never any need for "detrimental" makeup in the context of her appearances. What we were seeing was her true skin damage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "skin damage."

I loved Tovah.  She was so likeable (and badass!).  I didn't have many feelings for Deanna, but I like the actress.  That said, I find it odd that she kept harping on something being wrong with the children of a busy, successful mother type.  I don't agree with the assertion and I thought I misunderstood, but after she mentioned it for the 3rd time, I think that's exactly what she is saying.  That made me feel squeaky.  

You can always tell when someone is a real fan and I appreciated Jason Alexander being a fan.  I liked his point of view, even if I didn't agree with all of them.

I thought the text from Sam's actor was hilarious.  Well played, kid!  

I can't with Kirkman.  Give me Gale or Scott and ALWAYS Greg, but not Kirkman.  I don't care for his attitude or answers.  Not even a little.

• Love 5

My favorite was when he misread that Carl had been knocked out by Morgan.

I heard CH say Carol had been knocked out by Morgan - but that may have been a certain dialectic subtlety of pronunciation only another Tennesseean would pick up on.  :>

Actually, though, Kirkman did touch on something I had previously thought about - and had crossed my mind even as I watched the closing scene of tonight's episode:

They better get through that crowd before those guts dry out and start losing their stink....

• Love 2

Some confusion on my part... I could have sworn that CH was saying that Jeffery Dean Morgan was cast as Negan.  Did I mishear that?

If true, then he wasn't the 'Saviour' guy doing the talking during the preview for 6B.  Curious they would spoil a casting like that before even showing him on a preview, if true about JDM being 'Negan'.

Some confusion on my part... I could have sworn that CH was saying that Jeffery Dean Morgan was cast as Negan. Did I mishear that?

If true, then he wasn't the 'Saviour' guy doing the talking during the preview for 6B. Curious they would spoil a casting like that before even showing him on a preview, if true about JDM being 'Negan'.

You heard correctly, but the casting news has been written up without spoiler warnings by TVGuide, Entertainment Weekly, etc.

So Kirkman and the network suits must have been OK with that news being announced a couple of weeks ago and then talking about it again on TTD.

Ugh, when I saw Kirkman was one I almost deleted my recording immediately. But I'm glad I didn't because Tovah was lovely and Jason Alexander was hilarious! I loved that he wanted Sam just as DEAD, DEAD, DEAD as most of us do, and he wasn't afraid to say it. Nor was he afraid to call out the non-reaction of the group to Sam's "mom" bullshit. We need more guests who can snark the show a bit. 

I just really hate when they pair Kirkman with a cast member who just died. He wasn't AS bad tonight, but I didn't like it when Tovah was saying how she felt it was too soon for her character and he was all, "Nope. Not at all". Tovah has been in this business awhile. It's not like she's bitching and moaning about the Unfair Wolfness of being killed off, but I think anyone can understand how hard it must be to leave a show where you've become super close with everyone. It's like a family. And I think Kirkman just likes to remind everyone that he is god and kill anyone any time he likes. It's annoying. 

• Love 11

Add me to list of people impressed with Tovah! You have to hand it to a woman who can do pushups in a dress and heels, then stand up quite gracefully without disturbing her dress or overbalancing on her shoes. I can't even stand comfortably in dress shoes, so I am beyond impressed! :)

I was also put off by her comments about children of powerful women. But as Hubby said, that could just be a function of her age. Not a good excuse, but that is a view that belongs to a different generation.

I also enjoyed Jason Alexander. I love anyone who makes TPTB squirm by pointing out their glaring mistakes. It boggles my mind that the writers seem so bothered by the fact that we see (and are annoyed by) really insulting scenes. Writers and producers, you do not get to be upset that we are calling you on your bad decisions. The best move is to understand that your audience is smart and present less stupidity. 

I know, I know...they write these shows to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get as wide an audience as possible. But there does come a point when you lose people if you insult their intelligence too much....

• Love 7

I give kudos to CH for dubbing the Wolf "Dave Grohl." I knew he reminded me of someone, but it wasn't until CH made the comparison that I realized who it was.

Him and Skeet Ulrich.

Thank you Jason for the snark (sorely missing on TD lately), and the audience member for asking a decent question. If we're supposed to accept Kirkman's answer that characters don't use the guts trick often because they're worried about getting sick, maybe one character should have motioned that concern at some point during all these seasons (I don't remember any comments). Drying guts, fine, but even that has never been an on-screen concern IIRC. They could always reapply--plenty of walkers around (not that I would want to use that all the time as my go-to defense against walkers...even if my nose has been numbed by Daryl's constant Pig Pen state).

• Love 1

When I saw Jason Alexander was going to be a guest as well as Kirkman, I almost gave this ep a pass because I coulndt really see how JA could really have anything worth saying about TWD but man, he was GREAT! Yes, finally a guest saying lots of the same stuff we say! Calling bullshit right to Kirkman's face (as well as Hardwick calling him a jerk and later telling him to shut his face) was AWESOME. Tovah just blew my mind, she's incredible (in spite of her weird idea about children of powerful women being warped by the missing mom, why do dads get a pass?) I hate Kirkman and he is full of himself which his self is full of shit. Also FFS dude, Ive been reading the comic since day ONE and no, Negan does not change the stakes, not at all. Negan is more complex than the Gov but still, not a game changer.

Alpha is the game changer

• Love 4

I don't know why folks think that Tovah's appearance during the show was makeup induced. Obviously on TD she can now camouflage the imperfections. 

I'm inclined to think that an actress' appearance is being more closely and deliberately managed on a show that's noted for its cinematography and probably employs more makeup artists than any other single production than by whomever they have working one hour a week on Chris Hardwick's Shill Party. No doubt Tovah was glammed up for her talk show appearance, but I don't think what we've been seeing on TWD is what she looks like in real life either.

Jason Alexander came off better on this than I've ever seen him do in any personal appearance. Maybe all his customary smugness was sucked out of him by the deeper gravity well of Kirkman's? In any event, it was AWESOME to see him calling out Sam's behavior and everyone else's nonreaction to it while sitting right next to Kirkman.

I liked Deanna pretty well from Day One as she hits pretty close to the mark of my Katharine Hepburn/Kate Mulgrew love, but Tovah was just utterly awesome. She's made me a fan for life. (And I loved how Hardwick seemed maybe a little sincere in that Me! Me! joke.)

• Love 3

I want to defend Tovah's comments about the kids of powerful women. It's not comfortable and it's not entirely PC but it has a grain of truth. The children of very rich and successful people are quite often fucked up.  Many of them end up in therapy from a pretty early age. Sure there are plenty of kids of the rich and powerful that end up being strong and stable people but it's not wrong to say that there are some issues that are more prevalent in that group of kids.

That she phrased it as being about a mother is because she was playing a mother.

• Love 6

Did anyone else notice how Tovah reacted when Kirkman out his hand on her thigh?  He's lucky she didn't punch him.  She damn near jumped off the couch.  Guess she finds him as creepy as I do.  

• Love 7

Well, good call on putting The Talking Dead back on at 10 p.m. next year. That "Kill Bill" Meets "Game of Thrones" nonsense can go.

How appropriate that Jason Alexander was a guest as the Wolf in Captivity No More has teeth just like George Costanza's high school gym teacher.

• Love 2
I was also put off by her comments about children of powerful women. But as Hubby said, that could just be a function of her age. Not a good excuse, but that is a view that belongs to a different generation.

Gotta defend her on that...I think that's probably a reference to having met Golda Meir's children. Ms. Feldshuh is EXTREMELY familiar with the former Prime Minister of Israel as she's portrayed her on stage several times over many years. Here's just one of the articles regarding the portrayal:

http://dctheatrescene.com/2014/04/14/tovah-feldshuh-playing-golda

I also want to add that I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Feldshuh at this years Walker Stalker Con in Atlanta, and she is AWESOME! Extremely intelligent and vibrant. Such a tiny, petite woman in "real life," perhaps 5 feet tall. I was so sad they killed her off....

All the above is just my two cents. :)

• Love 4

Ugh, when I saw Kirkman was one I almost deleted my recording immediately. But I'm glad I didn't because Tovah was lovely and Jason Alexander was hilarious! I loved that he wanted Sam just as DEAD, DEAD, DEAD as most of us do, and he wasn't afraid to say it. Nor was he afraid to call out the non-reaction of the group to Sam's "mom" bullshit. We need more guests who can snark the show a bit.

I just really hate when they pair Kirkman with a cast member who just died. He wasn't AS bad tonight, but I didn't like it when Tovah was saying how she felt it was too soon for her character and he was all, "Nope. Not at all". Tovah has been in this business awhile. It's not like she's bitching and moaning about the Unfair Wolfness of being killed off, but I think anyone can understand how hard it must be to leave a show where you've become super close with everyone. It's like a family. And I think Kirkman just likes to remind everyone that he is god and kill anyone any time he likes. It's annoying.

This was the only episode where I liked Deanna. I agree she left too soon. Should have been the Jessie family and Tara or Rosita.

Fuck Kirkman.

• Love 2