Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

I nodded off mid-show. So I can't address all of it, but I agree that Breckenridge seemed like she was overcompensating and a hyper-aware of audience sentiment. I thought she was in her first TTD appearance. I suppose she's in a no-win situation. So I'll blame Hardwick -- too much time on fan reaction - and not just related to Jessie. I read this forum and others read other forums. We don't need to hear him read people's tweets or posts.

I thought Levi was fine during what I saw, but my kids and I had just watched Tangled on ABCFamily before TWD, and I was kind of hoping he'd break out into song ... "And at last I see the light ... but turn it off because it's going to attract walkers!"

• Love 1

Agree with those who didn't enjoy Breckenridge as a guest, she was trying way too hard. I also thought they focused too much on the Jessie-Rick thing and not enough Maggie and Aaron. But whatever. The only highlight for me was hearing that Rooker is going to be on next week. I didn't watch TWD live until season 4, so if he was ever on TTD before, I would not have seen it. I just think he did such a wonderful job with Merle and I bet he'll be a hoot on the show.

• Love 2

They really needed another person on the couch. AB and ZL were kind of middle-schoolish. It was funny to hear Chris quoting a viewer who referred to Pete as PorchDick. Did someone from PTV infiltrate, lol?

• Love 1

Agree with those who didn't enjoy Breckenridge as a guest, she was trying way too hard. I also thought they focused too much on the Jessie-Rick thing and not enough Maggie and Aaron. But whatever. The only highlight for me was hearing that Rooker is going to be on next week. I didn't watch TWD live until season 4, so if he was ever on TTD before, I would not have seen it. I just think he did such a wonderful job with Merle and I bet he'll be a hoot on the show.

As I recall, Rooker was on TD two previous times.

During S3, after his final appearance as Merle.

His couch mates were David Morrissey, Greg Nicotero and one other guest.

Also during S2, where he shared the couch with. Aisha Tyler.

He's a fun guest.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3

It was funny to hear Chris quoting a viewer who referred to Pete as PorchDick. Did someone from PTV infiltrate, lol?

I can't remember if we nicked the nickname from CH, he lifted it from us, or if it came in from an outside source (read: viewer tweet) and we all jumped on it moaning. ;)

• Love 2

They really needed another person on the couch. AB and ZL were kind of middle-schoolish. It was funny to hear Chris quoting a viewer who referred to Pete as PorchDick. Did someone from PTV infiltrate, lol?

I thought TTD came up with it.

• Love 5

It definitely wasn't the worst one I've seen but they could have used someone on the couch to untangle Alexandra Breckinridge's nerves. She was very self-conscious, I thought, and perhaps overly primed to expect a hostile reaction from the audience with regard to her kiss with Rick. I don't think Hardwick did much to set her at ease, and Zachary Levi seemed a bit uncomfortable. He seemed like he'd be a blast with some more relaxed couch mates.

Edited by Irishmaple

It definitely wasn't the worst one I've seen but they could have used someone on the couch to untangle Alexandra Breckinridge's nerves. She was very self-conscious, I thought, and perhaps overly primed to expect a hostile reaction from the audience with regard to her kiss with Rick. I don't think Hardwick did much to set her at ease, and Zachary Levi seemed a bit uncomfortable. He seemed like he'd be a blast with some more relaxed couch mates.

Hear hear.  I think the poor girl was half-expecting the audience to start chucking rotten produce at her the moment the cameras went live.

Silly, to be sure.

I'm certain security confiscates anything like that at the door before they let you in.  ;>

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but I've kind of grown tired of TTD. I usually can't make it through more than 15 minutes lately. The most I have watched of one was the week Lennie James and John Carroll Lynch were on (because I love LJ); even then I didn't finish it.

As soon as I saw AB, I thought to myself: "Why the blue tipped hair? Shouldn't she be filming the last of the back half of S6 right now?" Then I thought: "Maybe she doesn't make it through the back half of S6?" Then I thought: "I guess it could be temporary dye or a hairpiece." But I can't shake the feeling that she doesn't make it through S6. Which is fine with me. She is better on American Horror Story, anyway (go back to the red hair, AB!).

• Love 2

I nodded off mid-show. So I can't address all of it, but I agree that Breckenridge seemed like she was overcompensating and a hyper-aware of audience sentiment. I thought she was in her first TTD appearance. I suppose she's in a no-win situation. So I'll blame Hardwick -- too much time on fan reaction - and not just related to Jessie. I read this forum and others read other forums. We don't need to hear him read people's tweets or posts.

I thought Levi was fine during what I saw, but my kids and I had just watched Tangled on ABCFamily before TWD, and I was kind of hoping he'd break out into song ... "And at last I see the light ... but turn it off because it's going to attract walkers!"

This was her second appearance.

I hope I am not repeating myself, as I had computer problems.  Seems no one can have a negative response to what WD is doing.  She knew the audience wasn't thrilled with her and Rick but Chris is like no they love you.  I don't know the percentage but I know I am not liking it.    This was a boring and childish episode.  Chris giggled like a school boy talking about the kiss.  

• Love 2

I hope I am not repeating myself, as I had computer problems.  Seems no one can have a negative response to what WD is doing.  She knew the audience wasn't thrilled with her and Rick but Chris is like no they love you.  I don't know the percentage but I know I am not liking it.    This was a boring and childish episode.  Chris giggled like a school boy talking about the kiss.  

Well, this show is a property of TWD.  Chris is working for them.  So they will never criticize it.  I was surprised Breckenridge was as forthcoming as she was about the audience hating her.  Chris did get in a dig about fans, by making that joke that Rick couldn't be with Jessie, because he's mine! sort of thing.  Not that that didn't deserve to be called out, but he'll never say the show does anything stupid, or that the actors are ever subpar. 

I mean, I get it.  They offer access to actor interviews, and behind the scenes stuff, and sneak peeks, and some fun little interactive games and quizzes.  It's not a critique of the TWD.

• Love 2

Yes but can't they be honest as in yes, some people don't want them together?   Some think the zombie fun run wasn't a good idea?  I don't expect them to trash an actor.  This makes me wonder if some of the opinion polls are correct.  Maybe i expect too much from them.   

• Love 1

Yes but can't they be honest as in yes, some people don't want them together?   Some think the zombie fun run wasn't a good idea?  I don't expect them to trash an actor.  This makes me wonder if some of the opinion polls are correct.  Maybe i expect too much from them.   

I think it depends on the guests, sometimes.  Yvette Nicole Brown is very open about her Richonne shipping.  I don't know, it's kind of an annoying show.  An hour is too long, IMO.

• Love 5

Only times I recall blunt honesty from TD guest, was from Dave Navarro and A isha Tyler.

He complained about CDB being at the Magic Farm too long.

While then Showrunner Glenn Mazzara sat there, looking constipated.

A isha flat out dragged Beth, saying she Stank on the Grill.

Oh I forgot about Wil Wheaton, he blasted Lori Grimes.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 4

Hardwick referenced "Schrodinger's Glen". He or his staff do keep tabs on this board don't they? :)

If that is why Hardwick is no longer touching the food that he gives people, then I am willing to believe this is true and am happy to take the credit.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I couldn't believe Paget Brewster said it was hot for Abraham to insist that HE KNOWS, KNOWS that Sasha wants him.  For one thing...it's Abraham.  It was laughable.  Secondly, I don't recall any buildup to this moment.  And most of all, the last time a character KNEW a woman wanted him was Shane forcing himself on Lori who had to slash his face to get him off. 

Edited by peach
  • Love 6

I'm actually as OK with Abe and Sasha as I am with Abe and Rosi. It's just the awkwardness of the breakup that puts him in a bad light. I'd have felt better if Rosita herself had upgraded to somebody else, preferably Tara, and then Abe had rebound sex with Sasha.

I've noticed before that they have chemistry, plus they've been through enough of the same inner stuff to understand each other. And Sasha does have a thing for alcoholics who overcompensate for their depression by making long speeches that nobody likes!

I guess the big question is: if Rosita stops dying and cutting Abe's hair into a perfect red cube, will he end up going to Jessie and turning this show into a real soap opera?

But, Paget was not a strong guest... except for the Bizarro Rick thang.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

Hardwick referenced "Schrodinger's Glen". He or his staff do keep tabs on this board don't they? :)

I will accept that as a personal win.  (My life is very empty.  I'll take any win I can get.)

Chris seems almost desperate in the commercials for TTD tonight.  It's like he's begging us to not give up during Into the Badlands and going to bed.  

• Love 2

I resent this stupid Samurai show for making me realize that I would rather be watching "Talking Dead."

And I don't even like "Talking Dead."

I was prepared to make the hour fly by live-chatting the extremely snarkable Badlands, but once we got spanked with the thread lockdown, I tumped over, drifted off and missed TD.

Did Rooker show the goofy mohawk he's sporting under his goofy hat?

• Love 2

Chris seems almost desperate in the commercials for TTD tonight.  It's like he's begging us to not give up during Into the Badlands and going to bed.

He should be concerned - because this was definitely one of the best episodes of TTD (IMO) - and by the lack of response in this thread - once Badlands started it appears people went to bed or switched to do/watch something else.

• Love 3

Chris referred to people walking around the Georgia countryside. Way to remember they are in Virginia now. This show has just about lost me.

They have to remind people that Michael Rooker doesn't have any inside info? He hasn't been on the show in three years. Are we all idiots? That's how I feel watching the show.

ETA: I see he corrected himself. Whatever, show.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

You'd be surprised at what some fans think - Chris has to remind us every week that he has no idea what's happening and that's not because he enjoys saying it. I'm sure that's all he gets asked. People probably think that Rooker has friends on the inside that tell him.

I was happy that Rooker said he still watches and is allowed to be a fan now. It kind of throws me when some people are like "not watching that anymore" once they get killed.

• Love 3

I was happy that Rooker said he still watches and is allowed to be a fan now. It kind of throws me when some people are like "not watching that anymore" once they get killed.

I like that he admitted to yelling at the screen and saying "that's stupid!" I like that, but I love the mental image of him watching with his daughter, who tells him that he really needs to stop that. *hahaha*

• Love 7

I loved his energy, I loved the fact that he is as entertained by jokes about Merle as we are, and I loved that his first example of what being a fan means is saying "That's stupid!"

I guess I'll actually have to look up the other two episodes he's been on.

• Love 8

This was the first TD I have enjoyed this season. We saw Rooker entertain actual questions and have real opinions. I also thought the Paget tried to offer some opinions as well. In the previous episodes this season, everything was about making jokes, stupid jokey polls and Chris being able to hand out jokey props. I really enjoy this show much more when the fans can ask intelligent questions, and the guests are allowed to ponder and answer the questions. A little humor goes a long way. 

• Love 6

People sometimes accuse me of not taking a show with cookie speeches and zombie parades and Father Pee Pants seriously, but compared to Chris Hardwick I am the most somber, humorless fanboy on the planet. The guy is manic.

Yet, still so much better than "Into the Badlands." Shit, even that god damned spinoff was better than "Into the Badlands..."

Hyper and obnoxious or not, I don't blame Hardwick a bit for not liking his time slot being poisoned.

I feel bad for Chris that TTD was delayed an hour for Into The Badlands.  That was a wasted hour.  I know I was too tired to stay as involved with TTD as I normally would.  And Chris has a cold so he was a  little off his game.  I did love his pleading with Rooker to not do anything horrible with the pop up book.  And yes, I do want a TWD pop up book. 

• Love 2

Michael Rooker on TD was better than this week's episode of TWD.

I was laughing pretty good at the phone business. Chris was just a split-second behind me as I fussed at Rooker's dated pantomime.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

I see some poor judgment paralleling "The Glenn Question" with delaying TD.  Lots of people who were gasping and burning up the twitter at the end of Thank You now just feel pissy and manipulated.

Which is pretty much how I felt when I finally caught an early dawn repeat of TD.  Rooker might have been excellent; I'm not his biggest fan.  I mainly just watched Paget Brewster coming across as the most stupid and insincere I've ever seen her--wide-eyed, breathless, clasping her hands to her throat.  "Omigod, Fear The Walking Dead was fantastic!"  Improv funnyguy Doug Benson was wasted:  underused, certainly; stoned, possibly.

The irony is that I would have been much more open to Badlands if they hadn't felt the need to force feed me.  I love Kung Fu Hustle, the cinematography is beautiful, the lead is sexy. . .but you aren't The Borg, AMC.  Don't test the strength of my resistance.

• Love 4

That was one of my favorite TD episodes. Doug Benson was ten times more coherent than when he's on @midnight, and I loved his "how Rick would say things" jokes. I found Paget Brewster kinda charming in her weird pauses and moments of excitement. And I laughed at her apparent crushes on the Guv and Abe. That red-headed bastard needs some love! And Michael Rooker - holy crap, that was fantastic. I almost thought he was on something, but when the audience member/tweet (the rare one that was actually interesting) asked about his favorite scene to film, dude was totally coherent and well-spoken. He's just a crazy mofo, and is clearly the Janice from Accounting of the TD world.

If only Chris hadn't manhandled the cooler, the arm, and the watch before handing the contaminated contents to the audience member, it would have been a perfect episode. I'd have thought someone so well-versed in the zombie apocalypse would have a better grasp of how germs are spread.

• Love 4