Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Ambush Predator

• Start Topic

Severide and Dawson discover startling evidence found at a storage unit fire that appears connected to the fire that took Shay's life. Meanwhile, the firehouse bands together when Chaplain Orlovsky is the victim of a bad car accident. Elsewhere, Chief Boden's father visits, but quickly wears out his welcome with his unsolicited parenting advice.

So for whatever reason Chicago Fire decided it would be awesome to let us know that 1)They figure out who the arsonist is next episode and 2) SHOW US exactly who it is.

I can't get over how much an "of course" it is that 

Robert Knepper

is the arsonist, but he's SUCH a good bad guy I'm not mad about it.

• Love 2

Does this arsonist have some history on this show that I don't remember?  I agree that it did not seem like fair play to show us his face in the preview; however, it is a very recognizable (and probably expensive) face at that.

On a more positive note, I thought Jesse Spencer did a good job of non-verbally showing his anguish in making and sticking to his tough decision. I thought Dawson was way out of line in questioning it.  We are all in trouble if first responders play favorites with our lives.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3

So for whatever reason Chicago Fire decided it would be awesome to let us know that 1)They figure out who the arsonist is next episode and 2) SHOW US exactly who it is.

I can't get over how much an "of course" it is that 

Robert Knepper

is the arsonist, but he's SUCH a good bad guy I'm not mad about it.

I agree. I LOVE him in his former role. He will always be <character name> to me!

As for the ep - look at Shaft trying to tell them how to care for their new baby! If I was Donna I would have decked him!

Glad the chaplain turned out ok. Phew.

I laughed right out loud at Brett's "you have NO idea" about Cruz. HA! Gabby's face was priceless!

The Mills plotline was predictable. Clearly the abusive husband is going to file a complaint.

The hockey plot was a waste of time, save for Otis's facial expressions.

I think this was probably the worst episode of the show I've ever seen. I just don't give a hang about Boden's baby and I didn't sign up for a show about some guy changing diapers and bickering with his wife. Boden's father crawled out of the woodwork and I don't know why I'm supposed to care about him either. And I'm beyond sick of Dawson and Casey's relationship angst. This is not entertaining.

Worst of all, they keep using Chicago Fire as a springboard for Chicago PD stories, and at this point they're on the verge of losing me as a viewer. I understand what they're trying to do, get people who watch CF to watch CPD, but it's not working. Instead of ratings going up on PD they're going down on Fire, and this is why. It just feels like half a show anymore and I'm tired of it.

• Love 6

ITA about the damn crossovers, but it doesn't look like they have any intention of stopping them so I guess they're just going to keep on losing more viewers. It won't be cancelled until they can hit syndication and make tons of money, which is all they care about anyways.

I have a feeling that they are going to use this opportunity to try and whitewash Voight's character some more and sweep all the crap that he did under the rug. Casey will probably kiss his ass at some point, but I don't care because I hate Voight and I don't want to watch him on any show.

• Love 1

Let me go all Gabby Dawson for a moment: Don't they understand I don't like Chicago PD and won't watch the crossovers.

PeterMills and his fight club rage makes another appearance.

So what would Boden's SL have been if they'd had a girl...

Whatever happened to that kid Ernie's arsonist uncle? Is this arsonist him because if not, who cares.

Shay is getting more SLs dead then she did alive. Brian V. you might want to look into dying tragically...

So it really looks like they're not even going to look at PeterMills becoming a firefighter again. Casey's running around bleeding from orifices and one nerf ball hit on the head away from death but it's all good. Severide practically needed a robotic arm but it was all good. But PeterMills' injury is just a wash as far as him ever being a FF again. That's so bunk especially since it was such a major part of his character for 2 seasons.

• Love 2

So how is a room full of fire making materials not a crime scene and a bunch of papers that look like planning materials not a crime scene? Especially in a world where everyone is worried about terrorism. Not to mention, Severide, your hot ex-girlfriend who I really enjoy seeing now works for the feds, why the hell would you not call he in on this?

Not to mention Severide and Dawson talking to that chief and telling her they wouldn't stop investigating this was annoying. I mean sure they are very upset, but at the same time I really wanted her to say "you guys are so close to the victim, that any findings you discover will be totally unbiased, that sounds like a great idea".

There was some fun stuff with Hermann's history as a hockey dad (but that went on kind of long) and Otis and Cruz. But the stuff with Peter Mills was annoying. I swear I have seen the whole "main character beats up an abusive spouse or parent and it comes back to bite him in the ass" storyline in just about every cop and medical show ever. Hell didn't George Clooney get that storyline back when he was on ER.

One cool thing was seeing that Sylvie and Dawson had Zombie Dust beer in their fridge. It is a real beer, world class beer, from a small brewery in Indiana, not far from Chicago. I honestly never understood why more shows don't do that, especially with something like beer bottles. I mean if you aren't going to get a big beer company to pay you for a product placement, instead of paying for fake beer props like Heisler or Penzburg, why not get some real beer and give a smaller brewery some free exposure (and make your show look more real).

• Love 1
But the stuff with Peter Mills was annoying. I swear I have seen the whole "main character beats up an abusive spouse or parent and it comes back to bite him in the ass" storyline in just about every cop and medical show ever. Hell didn't George Clooney get that storyline back when he was on ER.

Every male doctor who was ever on ER got that storyline. My favorite was when an abusive father went on a shooting rampage and killed about 10 people because Greene took his kid away (he didn't actually hit the man but he pissed him off and it came back to bite him in the ass). Greene then let the father (who was shot) die in an elevator and got away with it. It was one of the last good episodes of ER. I am currently rewatching season 10 and it sucks.

I have nothing to say about CF. Only that I am never rewatching this season. I almost fell asleep while watching, which is a success for someone who requires an absolute silence and darkness to even doze off.

So how is a room full of fire making materials not a crime scene and a bunch of papers that look like planning materials not a crime scene? Especially in a world where everyone is worried about terrorism.

I think you have to pretend you don't see things if you don't have probable cause and/or a warrant to search? However, before, didn't they find a pedo's stash of pictures when his house burned down and then start a investigation? Isn't this the same type of thing?

I think you have to pretend you don't see things if you don't have probable cause and/or a warrant to search? However, before, didn't they find a pedo's stash of pictures when his house burned down and then start a investigation? Isn't this the same type of thing?

TV cop/lawyer shows have taught me that if you enter a space for a legal reason (things like chasing a criminal, putting out a fire) anything you see out in the open is fair game to be used as evidence. 

But really the whole thing with no crime scene so CPD can't do anything seemed like a lame way to make this not a real crossover and make it so the only people who can find the truth are Dawson and Severide. I mean you don't need a crime scene to start investigating someone, especially with the kind of leeway Voight have. Investigating someone on a hunch is perfectly legal. Plus the guy paid in cash, but didn't leave any contact information and was storing hazardous materials in his locker. If that doesn't void his rental agreement I don't know what would. Which I would think would mean the owner could give cops permission to bring in a crime scene unit. And that doesn't even count the whole terrorism angle (planning to burn down buildings and kill firefighters could be seen as terrorism) which would give police even more power. 

Worst of all, they keep using Chicago Fire as a springboard for Chicago PD stories,

Maybe it's because Gabby's next dream is to be police detective.  Skip the beat cop part, get right to it. 

I finally watched the rest of the show, and a few tidbits:  Generally, courts have held that once a fire department has finished initial investigation of a fire scene, they need a warrant to re-enter the scene.  Which makes any evidence gathered by our intrepid duo pretty much worthless.  Add to that neither of them can likely demonstrate any proficiency in arson investigation when (not if) they are called as witnessess.  Of course, tv is written so that the audience gets to see a terminally "bad" guy vs. what's right and just, procedure be damned.

PeterMills' talent for self destruction is truly amazing.  Not only did he just make CFD liable for major litigation, he's up for a felony battery charge.  And he has put his partner on the spot when she is questioned about what happened that day.  What was that in Backdraft about a Career Dissipation Light?  Since most states require that emergency personnel report to the police any suspicion of domestic abuse, among other things, why didn't he do that right away?  I mean, beyond the plot point, anyway.

Maybe it's because Gabby's next dream is to be police detective.  Skip the beat cop part, get right to it.

Which she will be Best!Detective!Ever!

I rolled my eyes at Gabby and Severide going all Scooby Doo. As much as I liked Shay, I could care less about this storyline.

• Love 1

I finally watched the rest of the show, and a few tidbits:  Generally, courts have held that once a fire department has finished initial investigation of a fire scene, they need a warrant to re-enter the scene.  Which makes any evidence gathered by our intrepid duo pretty much worthless.  Add to that neither of them can likely demonstrate any proficiency in arson investigation when (not if) they are called as witnessess.  Of course, tv is written so that the audience gets to see a terminally "bad" guy vs. what's right and just, procedure be damned.

Wasn't Severide's father on the arson investigation team?  So they introduced that previously and perhaps it's time for another story arc / guest run for him. 

Agree, however, that one was a little much.  And Gabby will again find the bread crumbs or alcohol patches (or whatever), lol.