Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Magical Thinking

• Start Topic

Poor Jimmy. I liked Dell and Amazon Eve saving him though.

I am glad Dell is gone but I wish Jimmy would have been able to confront him about Ma Petite.

A man and his talking doll that's classic horror.

I realize the twins were lonely but when a man tells you he needs his puppet that is when you run for the exit.

• Love 8

I have very little sympathy for JImmy, despite him being one of the most well-meaning people on the show. How can one person be so unbelievably stupid?

And I really wish they'd stop showing us Ma Petite's body.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 6

I realize the twins were lonely but when a man tells you he needs his puppet that is when you run for the exit.

Yep, you hightail it out of there asap.

Not one of my fave eps, but I didn't hate it. More NPH than I thought would be in it, that's for sure.

And we finally get a Dot/Bette sex scene with a guy which I knew just had to happen because well, it's AHS. I actually thought the writers might side step it since it didn't happen with Jimmy....but I should know they'd never turn down a weird sex scene on this show...althought it wasn't bad or even a little graphic at all.

Loved that ending though, I never expected Elsa shooting Del. I think I may have jumped  a little when we all of a sudden see that bullet to the head and the reveal of Elsa as the shooter was awesome. Now she or someone else needs to dispose of Stanley. I'm sure he'll get his. I will be disappointed if something terrible doesn't happen to him.

When Chester was seeing Margerie(sp?) killing his wife, I really thought it was going to show  that he was the one in the wig and dress killing her, like something of the likes of Psycho. Anyone?  Sorry, spoiler for a 55 year old movie!

Loved Dandy's "what a sicko!" line.

Bloody Jimmy stumps, eeew! That looks like an infection waiting to happen.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Yes, the fake ambulance driver was Thor Whore.

Actress Jamie Brewer as Marjorie, the ventriloquist's doll.  I was wondering how Brad Falchuk/Ryan Murphy were going to fit her into Freak Show without being obnoxious.  (Not that Ryan Murphy has anything against being obnoxious).

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 1

Well, lots and lots and lots of show tonight!

What is it with Murphy and having his queer actors do straight sex scenes? It's definitely becoming a square on the Ryan Murphy Show card. Nice to see that NPH can write his Caberet makeup supplies off twice on his taxes, though. And Margery was definitely creep city. When Elsa is clearly thinking "perhaps this is a bit much"? It's a bit much.

Poor idiot Jimmy. How, though, did his hands get cut off and all the way to Philly in time for Emma Roberts and Desiree to see them? The timing on this show is all whack. And the above poster is right, there were no signs of intravenous antibiotics of any kind. He's pretty much walking dead already. 

Interesting that Jimmy's polydactylism didn't include his feet. Lucky for him or he'd be missing those too. I wonder why Stanley didn't just pay off the doctor or nurse to overdose him? It'd be easy to make it look like an accident in a hospital and it's clear Stanley prefers to leave nothing but the pieces. 

Very nice to see Amazon Eve finally given something to do! That rock was spang on target. 

• Love 3
And Margery was definitely creep city.

I was excited to hear Jamie was coming back, but I'm almost sure I'm going to have nightmares about Margery. Yikes. Never been into dummies.  They are so much worse than clowns, IMO.

NPH was pure awesome. He was game for the camp, though I like that there's some air of tragedy to how insane Chester is. Admittedly, I was on the fence about whether I wanted to continue the season, but his character has drew me back in. I'm eager to see how it will play out between him,  Dandy, and the twins.

Also,  count me among those eager for whatever grizzly end is in store for Stanley. For the first time, I'm  interested to see what Elsa will do. 

I was really dissapointed when Emma Roberts showed up on my screen, even if it was for all of 1 minute. I was so happy to be without her for once.  On the other hand, Paul got a handful of speaking lines this week and Amazon Eve got to take part in the rescue. So I guess, it's the little things that are going to have the make the difference with these characters. *bitter*

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 3

Strong episode. Nice they've added Neil Patrick Harris in the mix but yet again, another nutter. As if the show hadn't enough of them.

Chester is charming and creepy and his fascination with Bette and Dot, while not new is interesting enough. Margary the doll was terrifying though.

Interesting that Dandy didn't actually kill Chester but manipulated him instead. Dandy still needs a painful death though as does Stanley.

Jimmy was a prized idiot letting Stanley take his hands though. I liked that Dell and Amazon Eve teamed up to spring him from prison though.

Dell's death was deserved too. Stanley next please.

Second episode in a row where I didn't mind Elsa, 7/10

• Love 2
Very nice to see Amazon Eve finally given something to do!

Yes, I was glad that she was given something to do only I wasn't wild about her teaming up with Dell only because I thought she was at her most awesome back when she was kicking his ass after he tried to kill her. Funny how she was so easily able to get over it. 

I also liked the scene where she and that other woman are helping Elsa pack--Elsa is explaining something about one of her dresses and I thought it was obvious that she was missing Ma Petite who would have known exactly how to pack Elsa's clothes in the way that Elsa would expect. I thought it was a nice little detail.

I was excited to hear Jamie was coming back, but I'm almost sure I'm going to have nightmares about Margery. Yikes. Never been into dummies.  They are so much worse than clowns, IMO.

I agree. I'll go so far as to say I honestly don't think that I could keep a dummy in my house and I'm not a superstitious person. I just find them disturbing and unsettling for some reason.

As for NPH, I'm enjoying the addition of the character and like that we've had a variety of villains this season instead of Twisty being kept around as the main villain like a kind of Rubberman.

I would have at least thought that Dot would be weirded out by that but she's the one to tell him "whatever you need". Even the two women in the flashback didn't seem nearly disturbed enough by the presence of this creepy dummy on this guy's lap. How is that not a huge ass red flag to any person with half a brain?

I think it was a mistake to not have a follow up scene of Desiree and the Emma character considering that was where we left off. Does Desiree talk to the lady who runs the museum? Are they coming up with a plan for how they're going to deal with Stanley? 

ETA:

Okay, somehow my DVR cut off the end of the episode so I completely missed Elsa killing Dell and the Ma Petite confession. I saw the end online and I'm glad Ma Petite's murder was avenged and I'm especially glad that Elsa was the one to take Dell out since she seemed like she was the closest to her.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3
Very nice to see Amazon Eve finally given something to do!

Yes, I was glad that she was given something to do only I wasn't wild about her teaming up with Dell only because I thought she was at her most awesome back when she was kicking his ass after he tried to kill her. Funny how she was so easily able to get over it.

I too was happy to see Eve do something other than stand around.  I hope she's in future AHS seasons.  I did find it kinda of odd that no one in the freak show really seemed all that worried about Jimmy.  Bette & Dot are tryin' to get their freak on and everyone else is just kinda standing around, IDK just seemed liked everyone forgot about poor Jimmy until Dell came in and told Elsa what happened.  FYI I didn't need to know that Paul, Penny, and the contortionist were having a three way, thanks R.M.

Bye-bye Dell; I didn't like the character but I do enjoy the actor so I hope he's in future AHS seasons as well.

Also did I miss something, how did Ma Petit's body (in the glass jar) end up in Dell's posession?  Did Desiree & Maggie steal it and plant it there? 

• Love 1

I would have found the talking doll a lot more terrifying if she'd been voiced by a better actress. I guess I'm an awful person, but I think Jamie Brewer is terrible.

My DVR cut off the shooting of Dell, too!

• Love 1

I was absolutely delighted when I heard Jamie Brewer's voice coming out of that puppet. What a great way to use her this season! She's so awesome. 

I was equally delighted that we did not see Emma Roberts until the very end.

Wow, Jimmy was really easily persuaded to let Stanley chop off his hand. And really dim to think that both of them being missing didn't indicate foul play.

I think I missed part of the backstory, maybe somebody can help me out. Was Marjorie ever a real person who now manifests in his mind as the dummy, or is that just all she's ever been? 

• Love 6

I'm surprised Stanley didn't kill Jimmy. Didn't he think Jimmy would tell people he was lied to.

NPH was great in this role. The dummie freaked me out. I wish they had told more of a backstory about how he believes the dummie is a real person. I wonder if Elsa will sell the show to him now since he acted so psychotic when the police came looking for Jimmy. I think that was the first time she ever looked at someone like they were really even too freaky for her.

I can't wait to see what happens between Dandy and Chester. I didn't catch much of the previews but it looked like maybe something happens to Maggie next week.

• Love 1

Also did I miss something, how did Ma Petit's body (in the glass jar) end up in Dell's posession?  Did Desiree & Maggie steal it and plant it there? 

THIS! They just took the jar from the museum and walked out with it?! I know the timelines and everything else on this show is ridonkulous, but geez!

• Love 3

The group must be really broke if Elsa called whatever they were able to get together a pittance compared to $1000.

Did Dell really suffocate Ma Petite? I thought I remembered a neck-breaking sound.

If they confronted the museum lady with what was actually going on and threatened retribution or police scrutiny, I'm sure she would have let them just take Ma Petite. Was that Dell's tent? I thought his was more cluttered.

• Love 2

The first words out of my mouth were how in the heck did they did Ma Petite's body? NPH was perfect for this role!  I really liked the episode a lot, and hope that we might get some Karmic satisfaction by the end

edited to add: I don't think that the museum lady would just hand over the body since I'm sure that she paid a huge amount of money for it.

Edited by 3jt
  • Love 1

Last nights episode was ok. NPH did a good job but I don't think we needed yet another character added to the mix. I loved seeing Amazon Eve kick some butt. Glad to see Dell get his comeuppance. I have a feeling Maggie is going to get away scott free and that pisses me off to no end. She is not an innocent bystander. The whole puppet deal made me laugh. Normally when a show is on holiday hiatus I'm dying for the next new episode but I didn't feel that way about the show. I think the show is losing it's momentum a bit for me. 

• Love 2

Very nice to see Amazon Eve finally given something to do! That rock was spang on target. 

I love Eve, and wish she had a bit more to do.  She seems like pretty much the most 'normal' person (personality-wise) throughout all seasons of the show.  Sometimes you need a bit of normal while watching AHS.

Dandy, though, is my absolute favorite character throughout all seasons.  Finn Wittrock just keeps bringing it.  I can't wait to see where his career takes him.  Not too much Dandy tonight, unfortunately, but that fur coat was just too much!  Dude, you live in Florida!

• Love 4

I have a feeling Maggie is going to get away scott free and that pisses me off to no end. She is not an innocent bystander. 

Right? This bugs me. All of a sudden she gets to save the day? No, she's the one who infiltrated the damn group in the first place to get this whole ball rolling. Good for her for growing a conscience but I really hope they don't all just shrug it off.

• Love 1

Unfortunately, marginalized women like Eve pretty much develop a "soldier on" attitude in order to survive. Eve's a bit luckier then most because her size means less men then usual will try to abuse her, but clearly it's far from a perfect defense. 

I don't think Maggie and Desiree put Ma Petit in Dell's trailer but rather brought her straight to Elsa. Who took it about as well as they figured she would. 

One thing bugging me and my husband--how did Elsa's bullet not hit Desiree? That exit wound suggested it had plenty of momentum left. 

What is it with Murphy and having his queer actors do straight sex scenes? It's definitely becoming a square on the Ryan Murphy Show card. Nice to see that NPH can write his Caberet makeup supplies off twice on his taxes, though.

Not only that, but this is the second time Murphy has had NPH making out/having sex with a gay, female actress. Jane Lynch on Glee, first. I remember thinking he and Jane looked like they had a lot of fun with their scenes.

I do need to add that it was Hedwig and the Angry Inch, not Cabaret (that is still Alan Cumming) that NPH was in. I did get a chance to see it, and it was fan-fucking-tastic! I did think, "his poor skin" as he was putting make-up on here, after all those months in Hedwig's.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

Not only that, but this is the second time Murphy has had NPH making out/having sex with a gay, female actress. 

Well, Paulson's only half-gay. But of course she's playing both Bette and Dot, so double it up!

I am not thrilled either that Maggie seems to have gotten away with things. Frankly the 2 minutes she was on screen were too much. Maggie might have had potential if another actress had played her.

I think it was a somewhat bland character so I don't ever think she would've been exciting. But Emma Roberts made her a whole lot worse than bland.

• Love 1

Loved that ending though, I never expected Elsa shooting Del. I think I may have jumped  a little when we all of a sudden see that bullet to the head and the reveal of Elsa as the shooter was awesome.

While I'm glad that Desiree was spared killing her husband, I feel the Elsa whitewash continuing.  She almost killed Paul - deliberately - and handed the twins over to a psychotic killer.  I know she didn't know Dandy was a killer, but Elsa is very wise.  She knows she sent those girls into a bad situation.  I don't know if I can bear a happy ending for Elsa.  I preferred her character last season, and Fiona got what some would consider a happy ending with a gruesome twist.  Maybe this is how Elsa turns out.  I can hope.

Bye-bye Dell; I didn't like the character but I do enjoy the actor so I hope he's in future AHS seasons as well.

I really enjoyed the actor as well, but wish they would have chosen someone different for that role.  His acting added so much regret and torment, that I couldn't help but feel for him.  Kathy Bates did the same (briefly) as LaLaurie, and I find it very disturbing to feel (albeit grudgingly) for these people.  The actors are too good, damnit!

I would have found the talking doll a lot more terrifying if she'd been voiced by a better actress. I guess I'm an awful person, but I think Jamie Brewer is terrible.

While I have affection for the actress and I'm glad she gets this opportunity, her voice did kind of spoil the suspense for me.  It's too distinctive, and the role required someone with more skill, in my opinion.

Dandy, though, is my absolute favorite character throughout all seasons.  Finn Wittrock just keeps bringing it.  I can't wait to see where his career takes him. 

Finn Wittrock is in Unbroken which is doing well, so far.  Combine that with the attention he's getting for this role, and he's got a good shot.

I am not thrilled either that Maggie seems to have gotten away with things. Frankly the 2 minutes she was on screen were too much. Maggie might have had potential if another actress had played her.

I think this was a writing miss.  If Maggie had been Stanley's daughter, felt a great deal of affection for him, or even just feared him - it would have given her a reason to go along with the plan.  Instead, she clearly despises him, dismisses him as a "poof", and  feels she kind of owes him.  Just not enough for me to sympathize.

• Love 2

edited to add: I don't think that the museum lady would just hand over the body since I'm sure that she paid a huge amount of money for it.

That woman knows or at least has an idea how Stanley gets the bodies he sells her, I'm sure all Desiree and Maggie had to do was mention the word police and she'd pack Ma Petit's body into their car herself. A scandal like that could easily shut her museum down for good, I'm sure she'd rather lose Ma Petit than risk that.

I don't think the police have much pull in this town. Dandy offered the one cop a million dollars to shoot the murdered maids daughter in the head and bury her in the backyard, and he did.

The police were cowed by Stanley, a shifty looking character, and let him take Jimmy out of the prison. They questioned the fake ambulance driver about how he got there so fast and then just took his word that he was 'in the neighborhood '. They asked no questions about how Jimmy lost his hands.

And Meep, who could not have hurt anyone, got murdered in jail and the police brought him back to the freak show and just threw his body on the ground and drove away.

Didn't anyone report Dandys mom being missing and investigate?

Maybe the people in this town are not afraid of the police.

I think if I needed the police in this town I wouldn't trust getting any help from them!

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 2

Maybe Desiree wasn't in the direct line of fire. 

That what I thought. Elsa was standing and I thought Desiree was sitting down. I could be misremembering on Desiree though.

I think I missed part of the backstory, maybe somebody can help me out. Was Marjorie ever a real person who now manifests in his mind as the dummy, or is that just all she's ever been?

There was a flashback in which Chester (Neil Patrick Harris) was talking to his wife's lesbian lover, and then he sees Marjorie (Jamie Brewer) in human form, and when the lover turns around and looks in the direction Chester is looking, she doesn't see anything.  So I'm assuming Marjorie-as-human only exists in Chester's head.

• Love 1

I wonder if Chester had Marjorie before the war? He did say he'd been doing magic since he was a kid. Maybe he's had her almost as long. Maybe he always talked to her, or maybe it just went sideways with the metal plate.

I enjoyed the addition of NPH and his creepy doll. I have always found dummies really creepy and this was a fun storyline. I still am annoyed at yet another person receiving injuries which would or should probably kill him or her. Wouldn't the prison be checking up on Jimmy and wondering what happened to his hands? And why in the world would Jimmy trust Stanley of all people?

Loved Dandy saying "what a sicko".

• Love 2

I'm not Jamie Brewer's biggest fan - I think her past performances were okay, but nothing more.

But I thought she was perfect for this. Her sweet, playful little voice coming out of a sinister blood-soaked puppet was just eerie.

(Although at the same time, I can completely understand why someone wouldn't find it effective.)

• Love 1
Did Dell really suffocate Ma Petite? I thought I remembered a neck-breaking sound.

Me too.  WTH?

Dell lied? I think he meant to suffocate her but it was taking too long so he broke her neck.

Not only that, but this is the second time Murphy has had NPH making out/having sex with a gay, female actress. Jane Lynch on Glee, first. I remember thinking he and Jane looked like they had a lot of fun with their scenes.

I do need to add that it was Hedwig and the Angry Inch, not Cabaret (that is still Alan Cumming) that NPH was in. I did get a chance to see it, and it was fan-fucking-tastic! I did think, "his poor skin" as he was putting make-up on here, after all those months in Hedwig's.

NPH also did Cabaret several years ago.

• Love 2

I've become increasingly underwhelmed with this season- I actually just started watching the show a few months ago so that I could watch Freakshow- I'm a circus/sideshow history buff, so I should have loved it.   I did like NPH and the dummy (ventriloquist dummies are one of my scary things, because the Anthony Hopkins Magic movie was always on TV when I was babysitting as a young kid), but other than that, I just found it pretty blah.   I just don't care what happens to most of the characters any more- I'll watch Jessica Lange do just about anything, but we know that she's not going to die, and is probably going to do quite well for herself.  Finn Wittrock is knocking it out of the park every time he's onscreen, but other than that, my daughter and I spent a lot of time last night having to remind each other of what storylines were going on, and why we should care.  When Desiree showed up with a gun we blanked out for a few minutes on why she was so angry with Dell.

Jimmy's just as dumb as a rock- you'd think that after a lifetime of hearing how freaks are treated, he'd be a bit more skeptical about sawing off even one hand.  Nice touch with the nurse refusing him pain meds, but other than that, I think that I've lost my willing suspension of disbelief in the season. The museum storyline is just plain stupid- the Mutter Museum had stopped paying for specimens very early on, and while I give the show credit for at least trying for a museum director that looks a bit like Gretchen Worden, it just doesn't make any sense, especially now that people are apparently able to teleport from it at will.  Emma Roberts hasn't been believable to me as a con artist- aside from being pretty, she has the charisma of a rock, and successful con artists are usually rather good at being interesting, and talking.  I'm very over Dot/Bette.  I have liked Sarah Paulson quite a bit in other seasons, but I think that the show missed the boat with her this season. 

Only two more episodes, and this is the first season that I'm happy about that.  I am looking forward to TopHat- I do hope that it has Finn Wittrock in it, and I won't complain if Evan Peters takes a pass. 

• Love 2

Ryan Murphy, et al. reached back to the late 70s for NPH's plotline. Back then, I remember seeing ads for an Anthony Hopkins film called "Magic," and this seems like it was the movie's general plot. I was too young to see it then, so i never did. I asked Google for the actual plot, and there it was. Pretty similar. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(1978_film)

I had this exact thought and actually turned to Mr.Jabroni and said, "Hocus pocus, you're fucked."  What a delight NPH has turned into!  I wasn't terribly excited at the thought of him in a Ryan Murphy production - because I lurve me some NPH and, well, ya know, it's Ryan Murphy... - but after years of enjoying him as a suited-up cad on a sitcom, this turn for the psychotic dramatic shows his range as an actor that I was heretofore unaware existed.  He is knocking this role out of the proverbial park.  And his conversation with Dandy and his man-fur, plus Dandy's exclamation that, "He's a sicko!" made my night.  Is it wrong that I want Chester and Dandy to play croquet and drink mai tais and live happily ever after?  Que sera sera.  I don't wanna be right.

• Love 8

When Chester was seeing Margerie(sp?) killing his wife, I really thought it was going to show that he was the one in the wig and dress killing her, like something of the likes of Psycho. Anyone? Sorry, spoiler for a 55 year old movie.

Yeah, I interpreted that as it really was Chester killing his wife..... & Marjorie is a made up persona in his mind. Such as a split personality type deal. I think we'll get that reveal later.

I ADORE Jamie Brewer as Marjorie, her unique voice is perfect for the role!

I laughed out loud at Dandy wearing the fur.....in Florida no less! Perfectly in character.

The rest of the story lines = meh.

Obviously I'm still watching, but I continue to miss my creepy deranged Twisty

• Love 2
NPH also did Cabaret several years ago.

Yeah, but it wouldn't count for last year's taxes as referenced in the original post :)

I was a little sad when they showed Dandy learning all the info from the PI. I liked thinking that somehow Dandy was also able to hear the doll. Speaking of the PI, the show he went to where he saw Chester's act was pretty full. How are they still getting that size of an audience outside a small town where one of their performers was just arrested for murdering a bunch of the local housewives?

• Love 1

Dell lied? I think he meant to suffocate her but it was taking too long so he broke her neck.

I thought he did suffocate her. It seemed that she struggled, and then went limp when she, well...died because she couldn't breathe. I think he pushed her closer to make it harder for her struggle free, but I didn't hear/see a cracked neck. YMMV.

• Love 1

I, too, wondered about Desiree being in the line of fire. Then I remembered that she was sitting and Dell standing, so it shouldn't have been an issue.

Honestly, I don't know why I continue to watch this show. It's too busy, too many threads, just like every other season when it hits the midpoint. Twisty was scary. The rest of the "villains" have, for me, gone so far into campy that they're no longer frightening. Everyone's a murderer, including the ones like Eve that I want to like, so I can't like anyone. I'm sticking out Freak Show, but I doubt I'll be back for whatever comes next.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 2

Chester is a fascinating character and NPH is great playing him. I was a little bored with this season but his appearance has made me excited again. The puppet is the most scary character to me this season, and Jamie Brewer in costume and wig as Marjorie is the most effective frightening thing I have seen in AHS period. Brava for her performance. I am interested in seeing where everything is going. Loved Elsa killing Dell, but I still hope she doesn't make it in Hollywood. Poor Ma Petit. Seeing her body floating in the jar is making me feel sad for her all over again.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 3