Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yep, that's me, Petunia!  I was pretty sure that was you.  It's cool to be back in a forum talking TV again.  Haven't done that since the GG days. :)

Yay!

I should someday rewatch GG. I have all the seasons on dvd, but you know... I hadn't been active on the GG forums in years, but it was my first real experience with fandom. Those were fun times.

I've done some TV chat over the last couple years...Fringe, Once Upon a Time, Leverage...but the last thing I was really into and heavily involved in was Burn Notice, but that wasn't on TWoP. Their BN thread was never very active.

Waaay back in the 20th century, I managed a bookstore. One day, Diana Gabaldon dropped by unannounced to sign copies of her books. She was a bestselling author, so I knew who she was, but was left bluffing my way through the conversation as she got into the specifics of her books. She stopped, smiled and said "You have no idea what my books are about, do you?" (in a very gracious way). I admitted I didn't, but told her they had really nice covers (They did!). She laughed and told me I should try reading one, I might like it.

It took almost two decades, and the transition to a television show, but she was right!

• Love 11

So I've just had a thought for a Halloween costume.  Wouldn't it be fun to wear a belted plaid like they do in the show?  I'd love to recreate some of the women's costumes but I'm not likely to have the time or the skill to make something that involved.  But I can certainly buy a long length of plaid fabric and find a suitable shirt and a heavy leather belt.

But the question is -- how does one wear an old-fashioned belted plaid?  I understand that each of the actors was invited to design his own look.  Jamie's first look is like a mullet -- short in the front, long in the back -- while Angus' has been consistently knee length all around.  And sometimes they wear part of it over the shoulder with a brooch and sometimes not.  I've heard that the only way to actually put on a belted plaid involves rolling around on the ground.  Does anyone know of a "how-to" site describing how to put one on?

Edited by WatchrTina

Yeah, Youtube is full of how to videos.

When I watched them it looked to me as if the final result was largely a crapshoot that depended on how you positioned yourself on the folded parts. A novice would in no way be able to do it the same way twice, so I don't think aiming for a specific look is very practical unless you plan on devoting lots of time to practicing.

I'd gather as many realistic accessories and hope for the best! The enormous woolen socks, a sporran, the belt, the belt that goes across the chest, a shirt, brooch, an Irish beret or caubeen, a dirk, a vest, a jacket, a sword...

This website might help you- http://www.tartansauthority.com/highland-dress/ancient/

For me the boots make all the difference, but IIRC Jamie is wearing period French army boots, so finding them may be  impossible. Cuffed pirate boots are similar. Lots of photos show regular oxford type shoes, too.

Oh, this is fun!

• Love 1

Great link.  Thanks Pestilentia!.  I also tweeted to @Outlander_Starz suggesting that they post of video showing how to do it.  You are right though -- it's all the accoutrements that really sell the look and I don't have access to any of those things.  Still, it would be fun to try to pull off a Feileadh-mhor (great kilt) just to get a sense of what it was like for people in the 18th century and for the actors now.

Edited by WatchrTina

I am so ready to make some 18th century clothing. I totally have the skills, a corded bodice that should work, and some lovely plaid wool. But I have to get the Halloween costumes finished. Ahhhhh

Anyway, after we watched the latest Outlander, DH and I were looking at our tablet/laptop and waiting for the news to start. I was reading the commentary here. I can tell he's looking over my shoulder and then he very seriously says "You need to see this":

The Simpsons’ Groundskeeper Willie Shares His Thoughts on Scottish Independence

Thanks Dear. It was a good antidote after this weekends episode. 

• Love 8

I try really hard to be respectful of opinions that differ from mine. To each their own and all, right?

I find myself getting irritated with the comments in the episode thread. I don't want to be that person, but I just want to yell sometimes.

Good to see some GG forum posters from TWoP here! While I did post a lot in those forums under this same handle, I posted even more in their BSG forums. Any BSG TWoPers here? I have to admit that the main reasons I started watching Outlander was 1) it is set in Scotland, one of my favorite places to have visited (sights and people), 2) it involves heavy use of the Scottish brogue (yes, I watched Monarch of the Glen) and 3) it is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore. And after watching the first episode, it only took me a few days to inhale the first book! Now, five weeks later, I have just started book 5. I think I need to pace myself better!

• Love 1
And after watching the first episode, it only took me a few days to inhale the first book! Now, five weeks later, I have just started book 5. I think I need to pace myself better!

That's how I did it this summer. Now I'm rereading at a more leisurely pace.

• Love 2

My 8 year old son is enjoying the parts of Outlander that i let him see. He loves the scenes with the Highlanders. We were watching a scene in "Rent" and he just asked me, "Mommy, did the tooth fairy visit them back then?"

"Are you asking because Angus has missing and black teeth? "

"Yes."

"Probably not since they didn't really brush their teeth and they didn't know that eating greens and vegetables were good for their gums. "

"That's too bad, especially since they are giving their pigs and goats to the king. They could use the money. "

• Love 6

That's how I did it this summer. Now I'm rereading at a more leisurely pace.

Now I am finding myself rereading Outlanderwhile watching the show AND reading The Fiery Cross. It's a wonder I get anything done, but am enjoying both the TV and book adventures!

• Love 2

I'm still working on rereading Voyager but also trying to read the first book of another series that someone recommended to me as being like Outlander. I'm not a fan, but I'm trying to power through just to get some more books on my list of things I read for the year.

• Love 1

I'm still working on rereading Voyager but also trying to read the first book of another series that someone recommended to me as being like Outlander. I'm not a fan, but I'm trying to power through just to get some more books on my list of things I read for the year.

Which series?  I am willing to give it a go. 

They're by Sara Donati and the first one is called "Into the Wilderness." It's like 'Outlander Lite' though, it's like if Outlander was written for middle schoolers. The writing is not as complex, the plot is not as complex, the characterization is not as complex...meh. I almost didn't read past the first sentence, but I was bored. I don't think I'll read any others after this one though. The author and Diana seem to be friends. Diana's got a blurb on the front and the author thanks her. Plus some Outlander characters are even mentioned in the book.

• Love 2

They're by Sara Donati and the first one is called "Into the Wilderness." It's like 'Outlander Lite' though, it's like if Outlander was written for middle schoolers. The writing is not as complex, the plot is not as complex, the characterization is not as complex...meh. I almost didn't read past the first sentence, but I was bored. I don't think I'll read any others after this one though. The author and Diana seem to be friends. Diana's got a blurb on the front and the author thanks her. Plus some Outlander characters are even mentioned in the book.

I've heard of them, and I read some reviews and passed on them.  It just didn't grab me.

Thanks for the response. :)

Into the Wilderness was BORING! I thought it was trying way to hard.

When I was oh so much younger I was so taken with John Jake's "North and South" trilogy. I loved the miniseries also. I've thought about reading them again but am scared that I will ruin memories of my obsession when I was 15 years old!

• Love 2

If you're looking for historical fiction that has a strong romantic element, but doesn't pull any punches, plot wise or historically, I would recommend the Poldark Saga. The original series is 7 books in length, but the author wrote more. It's set mostly in Cornwall, right after the American Revolution and follows a returning English officer who served in that war.

Here's the first book. Ross Poldark.

http://www.amazon.com/Ross-Poldark-Novel-Cornwall-1783-1787/dp/1402225091/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411000314&sr=1-1&keywords=Poldark

There was a miniseries done in the 1970's -- aired on PBS -- that was fabulous and I think you can still buy it on Amazon. However, the BBC is making a new miniseries and I'm so excited. Hope they air it in the U.S.

• Love 2

Into the Wilderness was BORING! I thought it was trying way to hard.

When I was oh so much younger I was so taken with John Jake's "North and South" trilogy. I loved the miniseries also. I've thought about reading them again but am scared that I will ruin memories of my obsession when I was 15 years old!

I loved "North and South", but i haven't tried to reread them in eons.

• Love 1

For a brief moment I thought you were referring to Elizabeth Gaskell's "North and South" - but I see now that you were referring to John Jakes. I enjoyed both Gaskell's novel and the BBC adaptation (Richard Armitage is so dreamy in it).

• Love 2

If you guys are looking for something lovely to watch while waiting out the Outlander hiatus I recommend the British mini-series NORTH AND SOUTH. The book it's based on is very good too and available for free online because it's in the public domain.

• Love 2

My favorite books from Diana's methadone list is Catherine LaVender books by Sharan Newman. They are historical mysteries set in the 12th century mostly in Paris. There is an element of romance in the first book but after that there's a lot messy every day life stuff. The first and third book have a lot of art historical process which I absolutely love. 

Not called Medieval Girl for nothing. 

• Love 1

For anyone wanting to watch a period drama during the hiatus, I would also recommend The Pillars of the Earth and The White Queen as 2 English historical period shows to watch during the hiatus, both are single mini series format.

The Pillars of the Earth is set during a period in the 12th century known as The Anarchy.

The White Queen is set during the Wars of The Roses 1455-1487.

• Love 4

Oh, I watched The White Queen when I first signed up for Starz (for Outlander). It was pretty good.

My college was founded by a Scottish immigrant, so their mascot is a fighting Scot and in the last few years they've been hosting Highland Games too. I'm going to have to make a point to go this year since I moved back to the area. Oh, and we also have our own registered tartan, which I'm getting a kick out of now that I know so much about tartans and all from the book and the show. Can't wait for cool weather so I can wear my tartan scarf.

• Love 1

Thanks for the recs Medieval Girl. For me, I am generally interested in whether or not women get to do anything interesting. That's why I love Outlander so much!

As for the referendum IDK. This could be only the beginning. Maybe I'm cynical, but I heard about sovereignty association and distinct societies way too much in my youth.

A while back I suggested that STARZ should post a video showing how to put on a great kilt (I understand it involves rolling around on the floor.) I just watched the latest promotional video posted by Outlander STARZ on Facebook, which focuses on the costumes, and there is a wee little snippet showing one of the actors on the ground executing that particular maneuver. Best of all (for me) the actor involved is an extra / horseback stunt player I've noticed before because he's tall and young and cute and has long, flowing locks and could totally pass for an elf in Lord of the Rings. I now think of him as Waldo (as in "Where's Waldo") because watching for him during repeated episode viewings has become my personal drinking game. And now if you'll excuse me I need to go open a bottle of Rhenish.

• Love 4

Delurk: My favorite historical fiction of all time is Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell books, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies (and a third/final book on the way).

Written in a slightly unusual style (some people have problems with it) and zero romance, but Wolf Hall won some prestigious literary award and pissed off a lot of book snobs, so there is that. I can seriously re-read these two books over and over, and I'm going to be so sad when the third is out and done. Wolf Hall is also being made into a BBC miniseries, Damian Lewis as Henry VIII:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3556920/

Second favorite: I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles. Lots of romancey stuff but also a very very strong Elizabeth I voice. 

Philippa Gregory is hit or miss, of course. 

Edited by kieyra

Thanks!

I live in 400 sq ft with a 14 year old daughter.  We only have one TV and until now, I have been very comfy with her putting in her earphones and otherwise just letting her be engaged in something else, because it hasn't been all that sexual.  I am just not ready to share this kind of intimacy with her, and quite frankly, I want to watch it unencumbered.  She will be with her dad for 4 weeks, so I might even do a rewatch myself!  ::giggle::

I'm grown and I would not want to watch Outlander with my mother. Just... too awkward. I did watch this past episode with my brother and sister-in-law and that was no problem.

• Love 1

You guys will appreciate the humor in this. I have two of the Lord John books on hold at my library, but really they're just missing and we did that in case they ever find them. Today I went in to pick up another book I had on hold, and when the computer printed my receipt, it also said that I'd checked out those two Lord John books. The funny thing is though, for those two books it says they are due January 1st 1900, so apparently now you have to be a time traveler to check out Diana's books from our library.

• Love 7

The library apparently found the missing Lord John books because they called me about them yesterday. I went in to pick them up today, and the librarian scanned my card to see what to grab and her whole face lit up. She practically squealed, "Are you watching the show on Starz?!" And I was like yeah, and smiled shyly, and then she shot out her hand to give me a high five. Then she went on to talk about how amazing the show is and how great Jamie is and how she's watched the wedding episode three times already, and on and on. Heh. It cracked me up. I can't say I've ever high fived a librarian before, but now I have...thanks to Outlander.

• Love 13

This is picking up on an old discussion thread, but I thought I'd add that the sequel to the Pillars of the Earth miniseries, War Without End, is also fairly recently available on Netflix.  I watched that earlier this summer.  Those series are based on the books of the same name by Ken Follett, who is also known for writing more contemporary spy novels.  Both of the books are even better than the miniseries.  Great reads for the hiatus.

I've read the whole Donati series and agree that the first one drags a bit.  Frankly I just don't find Elizabeth and Daniel as compelling a couple as Jamie and Claire.  That said, I'm rereading the series now and really enjoying the later books.

• Love 3

Has anybody here read Dorothy Dunnett's LYMOND CHRONICLES? If you can make it through the first book in the series - Dunnett's writing style is the most challenging there - it is a really rewarding reading experience. Great and complex hero and some marvelous female characters, including a wonderful heroine who I am not going to mention by name because - spoiler.

• Love 1

Not gonna lie. I have post-wedding let-down.  I am eagerly awaiting tonight's mid-season finale episode but I have those mixed feelings you get at the end of a good vacation when you are trying really hard to hang on to the joy but can't help half-dreading it coming to an end.

• Love 4