Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Oh, yeah, Pillars and the sequels. Fun too. Have you read Hillary Mantel’s books?  Wolf Hall, etc?  I just finished the first 2, waiting for the library to reopen for the third. The writing is excellent, very witty and a different perspective of the court of Henry VIII. 

Will make a note of that! Have not read her. Of course our library is closed right now as well. Did you read the Bernard Cornwell  Last Kingdom ones?? 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cdh20 said:

Will make a note of that! Have not read her. Of course our library is closed right now as well. Did you read the Bernard Cornwell  Last Kingdom ones?? 

Yes I have, but so long ago I can’t remember them compared to the show. I know they were starting to get repetitive, somewhat like the Outlander books have.

Cornwell also wrote a marvelous series about King Arthur, one of my fav takes on the legends. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm allowed to talk about anything in this thread, right?  If so, RANT MODE ON:

I was totally jazzed to discover that the Broadway musical, Hamilton, is going to be broadcast on July 3rd for the first time ever.  This is not a movie based on the Broadway show --it's an actual taping of the theater performance (actually an edit made up of two or more tapings of the show, captured early in the run when most of the original cast was still performing.)  Oh.  My.  God.  I was so excited.  I really, REALLY wanted to see that show when I lived in NYC  but my last year there was the year Hamilton hit Broadway and there was no way I was EVER going to get a ticket.

So here we are, some 7 or 8 years later and I'm finally going to get to see it.  What channel?  Disney Plus.  . . . WTF is Disney Plus?

Long-story-short I had to sign up for a new monthly streaming service just to see this show.  But okay . . . I am literally 10 days away from retirement and I can treat myself to a new streaming service.  I'm going to have a lot more free time on my hands, right?  (And I'm probably not going to leave my condo much for the next several months due to the Pandemic so what the heck, here we go with a deep dive into the Disney library (which includes Star Wars among other things.)  What's not to love?

Wait, what's this?  They are offering a bundled set of Disney Plus / Hulu / ESPN?  I don't really care about ESPN but Hulu did The Handmaid's Tale and that was excellent so . . . okay, sign me up.

Now all I have to do is sign in to all three services. They're all linked so one ID/Password should work for all three right?  RIGHT?  What's this?  ESPN won't work?  Damnit.  Okay I'll call customer services.  Scroll scroll scroll (no I am NOT going to read about it or try using your damn trouble-shooting 'bot) scroll scroll scroll (where is the damned customer service phone #?)

Long story short I finally got a human on the phone and they got me access to ESPN.  (Maybe it will have something worth watching if/when we ever have an Olympics again.)

All that drama happened on my desktop computer in my office so, now I just need to log in via the laptop that sits by my TV so that I can stream content to the big screen.  What's this?  Now HULU won't let me log in?  I have to call them AGAIN!!!!!????

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!  I cannot believe how fragmented and fragile and cumbersome TV-watching has become.  Yes, I am awash in content (that I pay for) but you need a freaking degree in electrical engineering to manage all that content.  I'm pushing 60 but imagine how my mother's generation must struggle.

I am now feeling particularly grateful for my younger sister.  My mother lives with her and my sister serves as her on-site tech support.  Thankfully, Mom's more into the Hallmark Channel than exploring the depths of Netflix, AmazonPrime, Hulu, and Disney Plus.

RANT MODE OFF

Okay, I'm done.  What to see something cool?  Here's a link to SGN (Some Good New) -- an online show that John Krasinski's been doing during the pandemic.  Episode 1 was good but Episode 2 (below) was AMAZING because THE CAST OF HAMILTON SHOWS UP!!!.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oilZ1hNZPRM&fbclid=IwAR1DYQ5xf9cPJNJ6J-qP0ZPAZxyLsFCDeEsjpsd8GCDXGqF4sNdP0ePAByc

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Okay, you know you're an Outlander fan when you're watching Wheel of Fortune and the before-and-after puzzle says the following:

SNOW

WH_TE

SO_

and instead of "SNOW WHITE SOX" your brain keeps insisting the answer is "SNOW WHITE SOW."

• LOL 2

So . . . I just got a basket of belated congratulations-on-your-retirement gifts from my former employer.  (I retired in July while the company was in Pandemic lock-down and everyone was working remotely, so a farewell party was not in the cards.)  They gave me a set of Jamie-and-Claire-on-opposite-sides-of-the-stones bookends (which are AWESOME) but the highlight of the basket of goodies is a poster-sized reproduction of last season's Jamie-and-Claire-on-the-Ridge promotional poster for Outlander, with my face photoshopped in, replacing Claire's face.  

Yeah, my co-workers know me well.  😄

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6
On 9/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, WatchrTina said:

So . . . I just got a basket of belated congratulations-on-your-retirement gifts from my former employer.  (I retired in July while the company was in Pandemic lock-down and everyone was working remotely, so a farewell party was not in the cards.)  They gave me a set of Jamie-and-Claire-on-opposite-sides-of-the-stones bookends (which are AWESOME) but the highlight of the basket of goodies is a poster-sized reproduction of last season's Jamie-and-Claire-on-the-Ridge promotional poster for Outlander, with my face photoshopped in, replacing Claire's face.  

Yeah, my co-workers know me well.  😄

This is amazing!  Congrats on your retirement!

• Love 1

A Scottish deerhound named "Claire" just won this year's National Dog Show.  Coincidence?  I think not!  (Outlander fans, we are legion!)

ETA:  I've just learned the dog's registered name is "GCH Foxcliffe Claire Randall Fraser."  So it really WASN'T a coincidence.  The owner really IS an Outlander fan.  I was just kidding when I wrote the comment above.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I was just going to post that! I was "half watching" the dog show on Thursday afternoon and heard that the dog's name was Claire and just didn't make the connection. Later, I had to laugh when I read on twitter that the dog's actual full name is Claire's!

They gave me a set of Jamie-and-Claire-on-opposite-sides-of-the-stones bookends (which are AWESOME)

I would love these. Must look those up.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

"Unanticipated Ways Outlander Has Enriched My Life" Exhibit #56 - 

My brother in-law is a bourbon fan, has fancy tastes, and is incredibly challenging to shop for because he has everything.  Yesterday, we masked up and visited a very popular local distillery in search of bourbon to gift him for Christmas.  I know nothing about bourbon (I'm a wine person), and we couldn't taste anything, of course because Covid, so I was prepared for a confusing challenge. 

Walked into the gift shop of the distillery and started perusing when I saw a bottle of Madeira-aged, single malt bourbon.  Because I am an Outlander psycho enthusiast, who mostly appreciates the occasionally mind-boggling detailed minutiae of the books, I know that single-malt whisky is a good thing and that alcohol aged in Madeira casks is even better.  Grabbed the bottle, proclaimed to hubs that this was the one because they talk about Madeira casks in Outlander, and greeted his expected eye roll at me with a knowing smile. 

So, I dropped a very large bill on this bottle of bourbon, was assured by the proprietor that this is their best product - "Very smooth," she said - and I'm at peace today with the purchase because 1. DG knows her stuff; 2. Jamie Fraser has a sensitive palate, and 3. Jamie Fraser would never lead me astray with such an important decision.  

Happy Holidays, Everyone!  Slainte! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/25/2020 at 3:51 PM, Cdh20 said:

Have you been on a never ending loop of watching & reading? 

Hi!!!!  Hope you are enjoying the holidays!  I was just thinking about you last week!

Actually, no!  I've been exploring other books and shows.  I got caught up on The Last Kingdom, finally.  I tried to get through season two of The Spanish Princess, but it was too depressing. I just finished reading The Nightingale (couldn't put it down) and one of the DG novellas (it was ok, kind of forgettable).  

I need some book suggestions! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Hi!!!!  Hope you are enjoying the holidays!  I was just thinking about you last week!

Actually, no!  I've been exploring other books and shows.  I got caught up on The Last Kingdom, finally.  I tried to get through season two of The Spanish Princess, but it was too depressing. I just finished reading The Nightingale (couldn't put it down) and one of the DG novellas (it was ok, kind of forgettable).  

I need some book suggestions! 

I am reading  Clanlands because  I got it for Christmas, well I am laughing my way through it! Seriously funny. I tried to get The Last Kingdom (book 1) from the library but there is a long wait. I did read one book by The Spanish Princess author but didn’t love her writing ( or the characters). Haven’t seen those shows.Next up is a Kate Quinn book I got awhile ago, The Huntress. Watching Bridgerton, & just finished The Queen’s Gambit. Happy New Year! I am on stay-at-home again because of Covid restrictions, so I  should read more...

Edited by Cdh20
Spelling, grammar, adding a thought

My one funny story is that my one girlfriend texted me today to say she had a chat with the liquor store whisky expert about getting in Sam’s whisky ( we live in Canada, I don’t think it’s available here), but all she managed was to convince her to watch Outlander! I love my friends “paying it forward”! 

• Love 2
On 12/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, Cdh20 said:

I love my friends “paying it forward”! 

I still have not been able to do this.  In my last pro-Outlander spiel with a friend, that person responded with "So, is this [Outlander] your guilty pleasure?"  Me - "Not at all.  I don't feel guilty about this."  

BUT!!!!

I did convince my Dad to give it a try.  The show nearly lost him with the Outlanders of the Caribbean episodes, but I got him back on track by spoiling him that the story is headed to America and they will fight in the Revolution.  He's all in again.

Awkward to have your father watch this show, but at least we don't watch together.  Cringe.  

• Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, SassAndSnacks said:

I still have not been able to do this.  In my last pro-Outlander spiel with a friend, that person responded with "So, is this [Outlander] your guilty pleasure?"  Me - "Not at all.  I don't feel guilty about this."  

BUT!!!!

I did convince my Dad to give it a try.  The show nearly lost him with the Outlanders of the Caribbean episodes, but I got him back on track by spoiling him that the story is headed to America and they will fight in the Revolution.  He's all in again.

Awkward to have your father watch this show, but at least we don't watch together.  Cringe.  

My dad would have loved it but he passed away 7 years ago. He probably read the books- that man read EVERYTHING. In fact I likely donated them to the book drive when I helped clean up the basement at their house after he passed. There was thousands of books. ( The show had not aired yet, & I only discovered it in 2017).  My mom doesn’t love it like I do but she watches it because I love it. She’s been watching on tv since season 4. She lives far away, & so when she comes to visit ( which obviously hasn’t been for over a year), we catch up on the earlier seasons. She still has not seen season 3 ( she could watch it as she has Netflix but I guess she is waiting for me). I now have only 2 friends that have not watched it, even though I’ve nagged them relentlessly. And a few that tried but couldn’t take the violence. No one else is quite as obsessed as me, but they all understand why I love Jamie. This most recent friend  ( story above) is a huge reader ( not a big tv person), so I am sure she’ll grab the books next, which will be fun as she enjoys discussion, dissection, critiquing. 

What did you go on to read? 

Edited by Cdh20
Spelling

I hadn't read the books when i started watching the show, my older sister however had already read all the books, unbeknownst to me, when i told her about the show (she didn't even realize there was a show).  Anyway, she recently got Netflix and started watching it, her first text to me after she watched the first episode... "they could have cast a better Jamie"  WHAT???  I told her she was crazy and immediately started spamming her phone with pictures of Sam!!!  I have since stopped discussing the show with her.  I don't even know if she finished watching the series, I honestly don't want to hear her opinions after her initial remarks about my boyfriend Sam!!  I thought I was going to have to disown her!!! LOL.  Well I did get my coworker hooked on it, so she is the one i discuss my obsession with.  She is in complete agreement with me on everything.😀

11 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

The show nearly lost him with the Outlanders of the Caribbean episodes,

I wasn't wild about the Caribbean episodes either, I fast forward to the David Berry scenes now when i re-watch it😍

1 hour ago, Beeyago said:

I hadn't read the books when i started watching the show, my older sister however had already read all the books, unbeknownst to me, when i told her about the show (she didn't even realize there was a show).  Anyway, she recently got Netflix and started watching it, her first text to me after she watched the first episode... "they could have cast a better Jamie"  WHAT???  I told her she was crazy and immediately started spamming her phone with pictures of Sam!!!  I have since stopped discussing the show with her.  I don't even know if she finished watching the series, I honestly don't want to hear her opinions after her initial remarks about my boyfriend Sam!!  I thought I was going to have to disown her!!! LOL.  Well I did get my coworker hooked on it, so she is the one i discuss my obsession with.  She is in complete agreement with me on everything.😀

I wasn't wild about the Caribbean episodes either, I fast forward to the David Berry scenes now when i re-watch it😍

Thank heavens I watched first before reading. Sam is the only Jamie for me!! I would disown her! 

I always wonder for book readers if they envision people as they are described or how they wish them to look? No way book Jamie is as good looking as Sam, not that I love Jamie for how he looks of course! 

31 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

Thank heavens I watched first before reading. Sam is the only Jamie for me!! I would disown her! 

I always wonder for book readers if they envision people as they are described or how they wish them to look? No way book Jamie is as good looking as Sam, not that I love Jamie for how he looks of course! 

I completely agree, I am so glad I watched the show first.  Sam was born to play Jamie!!  When I first read her text I seriously assumed she made a typo, surely she meant to say "they couldN'T have cast a better Jamie", but no, she immediately followed that text up with...  he's not tall enough, his hair isn't red enough, blah blah blah.  After my barrage of Sam pictures I just knew for the sake of our sisterhood, I needed to not bring the topic of Outlander back up until she realizes the error of her ways, because seriously, there is no debate!!!!  But this is the same person who read the books out of order, who does that??  She said a long time ago she was at the bookstore and the latest one was sitting out on a table, she thought it looked interesting so she bought and read it.  She found out later that it was like the 3rd book in the series🤦‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Beeyago said:

I completely agree, I am so glad I watched the show first.  Sam was born to play Jamie!!  When I first read her text I seriously assumed she made a typo, surely she meant to say "they couldN'T have cast a better Jamie", but no, she immediately followed that text up with...  he's not tall enough, his hair isn't red enough, blah blah blah.  After my barrage of Sam pictures I just knew for the sake of our sisterhood, I needed to not bring the topic of Outlander back up until she realizes the error of her ways, because seriously, there is no debate!!!!  But this is the same person who read the books out of order, who does that??  She said a long time ago she was at the bookstore and the latest one was sitting out on a table, she thought it looked interesting so she bought and read it.  She found out later that it was like the 3rd book in the series🤦‍♀️

It’s funny you mention this....20 years ago my cousin recommended the books, & I dismissed her recommendation as soon as she said “ time travel”. Just last year when I saw her, I finally got a chance to tell her how much I love the show, & that I finally read (some of )the books. She told me she started with book 2 or was it 3 as well? Weird! And she only watched the show until part way through season 2, got bored of it! Uhmmmmwhat? She thought Jamie was miscast as well. I think most of us who love all the cast, saw the show first! I think readers love reading more than watching tv. I have decided I must be quite a visual person, because I don’t love reading & having to envision everything on my own. Give me a visual please! I do so much better reading after the fact, then I very much enjoy it. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

She told me she started with book 2 or was it 3 as well? Weird! 

That is so funny! Wow. So there’s more than one like that!!

I have decided I must be quite a visual person, because I don’t love reading & having to envision everything on my own. Give me a visual please! I do so much better reading after the fact, then I very much enjoy it. 

Same!!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

My dad would have loved it but he passed away 7 years ago.

So sorry to hear this.  

23 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

What did you go on to read? 

Ha!  I re-read The Secret Garden.  I occasionally go back and read books I read as a kid and teen and in my 20s to see if my impressions change as I age.  Now, I'm out of material again.  I'm thinking about closing my eyes and hitting "Download" on something random. 

14 hours ago, Beeyago said:

"they could have cast a better Jamie"  WHAT???

13 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Sam is the only Jamie for me!!

She thought Jamie was miscast as well.

I have thoughts...  

I stopped the first episode of Outlander right when Claire fixed Jamie's shoulder, and I downloaded the book without finishing the episode.  So, though I saw Sam as Jamie first, I didn't really know Jamie as a character.  Visually, Sam is not how I picture Jamie.  My Jamie (sigh...) is much taller and broader with a more rugged face.  Incidentally, I also picture Claire differently when I read her.  She's shorter, not as lean, and her hair is wilder.  I also always picture her with golden eyes, because that reference is continuously made in the books.  

All of that said, Sam's casting as Jamie is brilliant and absolutely no one else would have been better for it.  Sam as Sam doesn't do much for me.  He's attractive, yes, and I would likely look twice.  However, Sam as Jamie, holy shit.  Is there a more attractive, perfect-looking human on the planet than Sam as Jamie?  No.  No there is not.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

So sorry to hear this.  

Ha!  I re-read The Secret Garden.  I occasionally go back and read books I read as a kid and teen and in my 20s to see if my impressions change as I age.  Now, I'm out of material again.  I'm thinking about closing my eyes and hitting "Download" on something random. 

I have thoughts...  

I stopped the first episode of Outlander right when Claire fixed Jamie's shoulder, and I downloaded the book without finishing the episode.  So, though I saw Sam as Jamie first, I didn't really know Jamie as a character.  Visually, Sam is not how I picture Jamie.  My Jamie (sigh...) is much taller and broader with a more rugged face.  Incidentally, I also picture Claire differently when I read her.  She's shorter, not as lean, and her hair is wilder.  I also always picture her with golden eyes, because that reference is continuously made in the books.  

All of that said, Sam's casting as Jamie is brilliant and absolutely no one else would have been better for it.  Sam as Sam doesn't do much for me.  He's attractive, yes, and I would likely look twice.  However, Sam as Jamie, holy shit.  Is there a more attractive, perfect-looking human on the planet than Sam as Jamie?  No.  No there is not.  

Why oh why did you need to read it first?. ....

I do agree - BookJamie is much more of a real redhead (too much for me, )& not as pretty. Claire is definitely more shapely ( like me, haha) with the golden eyes. 

No one could have told me that my next big crush would be an dirty 18th century highlander in a kilt, but you are right Sam as Jamie is perfection! 

Speaking of my dad, he died of a heart attack, & it reminds me everyday to take care of myself. Thank goodness I love exercising, & cooking! 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, Cdh20 said:

I am reading  Clanlands because  I got it for Christmas

I've just remembered -- I got it TOO!  I had forgotten because:

1. I had TRIED to buy it for myself at my local independent bookstore but they didn't have it,
  2. we (my extended family) weren't SUPPOSED to exchange gifts this year, and
  3. the pandemic is making me stupid.

But my sister knows what a fan I am and she sent it to me anyway.  I have a HUGE stack of books to read on my coffee table right now (I did my part to try and keep my local independent bookstore going during the pandemic) and I forgot that I had added my gift copy of Clanlands to that pile when it arrived.  Thanks for the reminder!  I could use a good laugh today. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I've just remembered -- I got it TOO!  I had forgotten because:

1. I had TRIED to buy it for myself at my local independent bookstore but they didn't have it,
  2. we (my extended family) weren't SUPPOSED to exchange gifts this year, and
  3. the pandemic is making me stupid.

But my sister knows what a fan I am and she sent it to me anyway.  I have a HUGE stack of books to read on my coffee table right now (I did my part to try and keep my local independent bookstore going during the pandemic) and I forgot that I had added my gift copy of Clanlands to that pile when it arrived.  Thanks for the reminder!  I could use a good laugh today. 

Happy reading! I just remembered I also d/led the audio version, but haven’t listened to it yet! Everyone was saying it’s even funnier to listen to, than read! 

• Love 1

So, for the second year in a row, a Scottish deerhound named "Claire" has won the National Dog Show.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/25/1059251575/national-dog-show-winner-claire-2021?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR0Y_gvCZMpx8yUvnLPPgEJrvB4J8k_skFEFrq5OYVeGHpzrYxXdmc4l4vo

Now I'm not saying that the judges are all Outlander fans and that that impacted their decision.  No, I'm sure it had nae effect whatsoever.  Just a coincidence ye ken.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

So, for the second year in a row, a Scottish deerhound named "Claire" has won the National Dog Show.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/25/1059251575/national-dog-show-winner-claire-2021?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR0Y_gvCZMpx8yUvnLPPgEJrvB4J8k_skFEFrq5OYVeGHpzrYxXdmc4l4vo

Now I'm not saying that the judges are all Outlander fans and that that impacted their decision.  No, I'm sure it had nae effect whatsoever.  Just a coincidence ye ken.

I was wondering if the owners were Outlander fans. It is a pretty dog though.

Edited by Constant Viewer

I just watched part of the Outlander holiday special, with fires crackling, dogs resting in front of a fireplace, babbling brook. Very relaxing and getting me in the mood for the holidays and Outlander's new season.

• Love 1

I just watched an episode of "Rick Steve's Europe" in which he visited several Scottish islands including Iona and Skye (as in " 🎶. . . over the sea . . . to Skye🎵," from Outlander's title music.)  I don't think the sights I saw were specifically of locations used in Outlander but there were many, many times when I found myself thinking "Hey, is that where _____ scene was filmed?"  That was especially true of the views of the main harbor towns, which have buildings that could totally pass for 18th century construction. (Some of them probably ARE 18th century constructions.)  And of course the wind-swept, treeless countryside -- with its many, many sheep and very few signs of human habitation -- is timeless.

The show also reminded me how much I enjoyed binge-watching the TV Show "Shetland", which stars Outlander's own Doug Henshall (season one's Taran MacQuarrie).  It sure will be nice when Shetland -- and Outlander -- come back with new seasons.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

This just in:  "Scotland Apologizes for History of Witchcraft Persecution".  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/world/europe/scotland-nicola-sturgeon-apologizes-witches.html

Now I'm not saying the depiction of Claire nearly being burned at the stake in Season 1 was a significant factor in that decision but you have to wonder if that wasn't one of the contributing factors.

Huh. Guess when the buik was released, they just...ignored it and didn't feel the need to issue an apology then?

(edited)
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Guess when the buik was released, they just...ignored it and didn't feel the need to issue an apology then?

The book was written and published in America.  I doubt if it got much attention in Scotland when it came out.  But the Outlander TV show has been a huge boon to Scottish tourism.  So no, I wouldn't have expected any reaction in Scotland at all to the publishing of the original book and I doubt if the show had much to do with the recent statement by the Scottish government, but it wouldn't surprise me if was a minor contributor to the decision.  We'll never know -- I'm just speculating.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Interestingly, STARZ is now co-promoting a new show alongside Outlander.  I've just seen an ad for Outlander coupled with "Death and Nightingales."  It looks like another costume drama, set in a similar time-frame.  So I guess I know what I'll be checking out after Outlander finishes this year's shortened run.

• Love 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, WatchrTina said:

Interestingly, STARZ is now co-promoting a new show alongside Outlander.  I've just seen an ad for Outlander coupled with "Death and Nightingales."  It looks like another costume drama, set in a similar time-frame.  So I guess I know what I'll be checking out after Outlander finishes this year's shortened run.

Death and Nightingales already ran on Starz last year. It was a three-episode miniseries. Are they still promoting it?

Hi Outlander friends- I have an opportunity to go to Scotland May 2024 on a tour with some cool people. 

I really want to go but I need to get home and do the math to make sure I can make it happen.  I went in 2019 (only a few days, did London first)and I shared it here, and I have been itching to go back, but it’s going to be about twice as much money!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi Outlander friends- I have an opportunity to go to Scotland May 2024 on a tour with some cool people. 

I really want to go but I need to get home and do the math to make sure I can make it happen.  I went in 2019 (only a few days, did London first)and I shared it here, and I have been itching to go back, but it’s going to be about twice as much money!

You should go, if you would enjoy the people & the tour & if the budget works! I loved Scotland! 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

You should go, if you would enjoy the people & the tour & if the budget works! I loved Scotland! 

I really really want to go!

I need to sit down and do the math and make sure I can afford it (final payment would be due in Feb). Flights don’t look TERRIBLE if I connect in LHR (I prefer direct but you have to do what you have to do). 

• Wink 1
On 8/16/2023 at 6:39 AM, Haleth said:

My husband has been talking about going to Scotland for years but it hasn't happened.  He wants to wait til he retires in a couple years but I'm afraid to wait that long!

I booked the trip this morning. And I can afford it if I don’t do any BS spending until Feb (makeup, clothes etc). 

Traveling in retirement is great, but I’m of the opinion if one has the means and wants to travel while they are younger they should do so. You have no idea what your health/mobility will be like and what other financial commitments you have in retirement (that caregiver bill only goes up). Right now my financial priorities are investing for retirement and travel (I’m 37). When my Mom gets sicker (it’s not it but when) it’s going to cost twice as much for me to go anywhere, so I’m going NOW. 

I know I am very privileged to be able to do that, and I’m more than willing to not spend fun money this fall and winter to make this happen. I had such fun with her during her coronation meet up I know the trip will be amazing!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

The author Gabaldon visited Jamestown and Yorktown Virginia recently. I moved away about a year ago, otherwise, I would have gone to her talk there. 

‘Outlander’ author to visit Yorktown — followed later by her characters – Daily Press

An Evening with Diana Gabaldon | Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, VA (jyfmuseums.org)

I know we are in a Droughtlander (I just checked, no release date for the second half of Season 7) but I paid the final payment for my trip back to Scotland this spring! I am doing a tour and will be seeing the Highlands and the Isle of Sky.  I cannot wait to share with you all. Its going to be amazing.

• Like 2
  • Love 2