Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 4/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m headed to Scotland next week. Yes I’m doing an Outlander tour, photos will follow. 

I'm so jealous. My cousin and I have discussed doing something similar. May I ask if you're taking a special tour with a particular company? There are a number of them and I've wondered which one fans gravitate to.

9 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I'm so jealous. My cousin and I have discussed doing something similar. May I ask if you're taking a special tour with a particular company? There are a number of them and I've wondered which one fans gravitate to.

I’m doing the one day Outlander tour with Rabbie’s. My friend took a tour with this company and loved it. Let me give you the link. 

https://www.rabbies.com/en

It is COLD and rainy today!! I’m very glad I brought my northface. It feels like it did at home (Chicago). I bought a sweatshirt with a hood and marsupial pouch for myself that says "Edinburgh Scotland"- this is LINED I am toasty warm. 

Coming out of the ladies room of Rabbie’s Cafe I saw THIS 😍

F29782A0-DD7F-441B-80E2-B960D88AFFF8.jpeg

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Fantastic pictures, Scarlett45!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks you are very kind. The natural climate is overcast and it makes it harder to get a good photo. (I am NOT a naturally gifted photographer)

• Love 1

@Scarlett45 Great pictures, looks like you saw a lot! I’ve been to UK many times since my daughter lives there but have not done Outlander tour. Definitely going to do the tour next visit. Also see your posts on Counting On forum, you’re one of my favorites, I mostly lurk, but had to tell you how much I am enjoying your vacation posts.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

@Scarlett45 Great pictures, looks like you saw a lot! I’ve been to UK many times since my daughter lives there but have not done Outlander tour. Definitely going to do the tour next visit. Also see your posts on Counting On forum, you’re one of my favorites, I mostly lurk, but had to tell you how much I am enjoying your vacation posts.

You’re very kind thank you so much. @Nidratime I highly recommend the Rabbie’s tour company- A+ service, very entertaining tour guide, well planned day and comfortable coach. 

Had I known I would have such a good time in Scotland I would’ve stayed longer. But next time!!

20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Scarlett45, thank you for sharing what looks to have been an awesome tour. How far apart were the castles?

Ummm I’d have to look at the map, but for a guide we started our day at 9:15am, made it back around 6pm. We were given an hour and a half at Linlithgow Palace to eat lunch. So maybe actually 4 hrs spent driving? Round trip it was probably 100 miles. 

If anyone has questions about taking a trip to Scotland please DM me! This was my first time and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m headed to Scotland next week. Yes I’m doing an Outlander tour, photos will follow. 

We were in Scotland a few years ago (before I watched the series).  On one of our shore excursions, our bus stopped at a famous battlefield, but it appeared to be just a flat, windy open field with a visitor center.  We were tired, and opted to go back and wait on the bus.

Little did I know that it was Culloden.  While watching Season One last night, I cried when I realized that it was the battlefield where Frank and Claire were walking around.  Sigh.

• Love 2
On 5/28/2019 at 8:18 AM, AZChristian said:

We were in Scotland a few years ago (before I watched the series).  On one of our shore excursions, our bus stopped at a famous battlefield, but it appeared to be just a flat, windy open field with a visitor center.  We were tired, and opted to go back and wait on the bus.

Little did I know that it was Culloden.  While watching Season One last night, I cried when I realized that it was the battlefield where Frank and Claire were walking around.  Sigh.

I know how you feel. I am the Scot in the family but the last time we were in Scotland my husband (history buff) insisted we go. It truly does not look like much until you know the history. But it is heartbreaking. 

• Love 1

Hello All...new here. This is only the 2nd forum I've ever joined, the first one has been gone for years now. What I like about this forum same as the last is you can have conversations without hate. I joined because of Outlander. I haven't read the books, and I don't have cable or dish only Netflix and HULU and this showed up on Netflix so I thought why not check it out.  Unfortunately, Netflix only has 2 seasons, I'm still on season 1 but I'm in love with Jamie.  Sorry Frank, I just didn't get enough screen time with you to have feelings. And now when I do see you in a flashback all I can see is your ancestor that likes to rape women. I'm a 60 year old asexual woman with 4 kids from 2 marriages that never had true love or romance. I fell out of love pretty quickly but stayed because of the kids. I've been alone now for over 10 years and I'm okay with it but I do love romance. I don't need to see the sex scenes but I do love the way Jamie looks at Claire and touches her shoulders and hair. I love the way he speaks to her and listens to her and of course the way he rides in to save the day! I think the books will definitely be on my Christmas list this year, at least the first 3 or 4 of them. :-) Sorry for the wordy post, just wanted to introduce myself and hope to talk soon with some of you in the episode forums.  Scartett 45 I love the pictures of Scotland.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Yeah, I don't think anything could keep me from a toilet, toilet paper and sweatpants! LOL. There have been so many times I wanted to put my hands through the tv to put duct tape on Claire's mouth but at the stones I was actually telling her to saaaaaay something. She kept agreeing with everything Jamie was saying then when he started to walk away all she said was goodbye. I haven't read the books but did read the episode with book talk and I like the book version better. Without reading that I wouldn't have know that she didn't touch the stone, I didn't know what happened. She walked towards it and it went dark then she's standing over Jamie. I want to know why she decided to stay, it didn't explain or show us how she came to her decision. I think that was a big oops on the writers. But I'm happy she stayed, now I want her to tell Jamie how she feels and why she choose to stay with him. Because I want to know!

Keep watching & you will be rewarded, although we never see her debate going or staying, but we do see where she feels she belongs. Do you think she is in love with Jamie now? I saw you introduce yourself, & my suggestion is to read the first 2 books after you watch these 2 seasons, but don’t read ahead of the show. I find it’s better to be surprised by the show events than to have book expectations. When you read them after the fact, it fills in some things, & you find out some events happened differently, but you are already in love with Jamie, so it won’t matter!

Edited by Cdh20

I hope she stayed because she's in love with Jamie.  I probably will buy the first 2 books after I'm done watching the 2 seasons. I don't know how long it will take Netflix to put the other seasons on, they take forever sometimes. I'm still waiting for them to put season 4 of Better Call Saul  and The Last Kingdom on, it takes them soooooo long sometimes I forget what happened.

Welcome. If you don't want to risk waiting, maybe season 3 DVDs or Blu-rays should be on your X-mas list. That way you can continue watching without relying on Netflix. Or, you can look to see if your library has them.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Welcome. If you don't want to risk waiting, maybe season 3 DVDs or Blu-rays should be on your X-mas list. That way you can continue watching without relying on Netflix. Or, you can look to see if your library has them.

I got Season 3 quickly from the library,  and am now #10 in line for Season 4!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I forgot about the library, Thanks. I'll check with them after I finish season 2.  I'll have to buy a dvd player for my bedroom now since I have my daughter and granddaughter living with me and I watch this show in my room cause my granddaughter plays with her toys in the front room. I'll add that to my list.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I forgot about the library, Thanks. I'll check with them after I finish season 2.  I'll have to buy a dvd player for my bedroom now since I have my daughter and granddaughter living with me and I watch this show in my room cause my granddaughter plays with her toys in the front room. I'll add that to my list.

The library might be a good idea for the books too, or the used book store-that's where I found some of them!

• Love 2

Well, I'm having an Outlander moment.  I'm doing a long drive tomorrow so I downloaded Outlander book 5 on Audible and am planning to listening to during the drive.  So what did I  just stumble upon on PBS?  A special on Freemasonry in Scotland.  (And as ye will recall there are some episodes in the 3rd season / book when certain characters we know and love are revealed to be Freemasons.)  I love the synchronicity.

New to Outlander and this forum. I used netflix for seasons 1 and 2, and got the DVD's for 3 & 4 from our county's library system. FWIW, more than 90% of the libraries had season 4's DVD checked out already. I had to drive a ways to get a copy. 🙂

• Love 1

For the people doing the Rabbies' four day tour, where did you stay during the tour? We were surprised that accommodations was not included. (Plus, we don't know where to store our extra luggage since they only allow a carry on during the four days.)

On 7/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Nidratime said:

For the people doing the Rabbies' four day tour, where did you stay during the tour? We were surprised that accommodations was not included. (Plus, we don't know where to store our extra luggage since they only allow a carry on during the four days.)

If you purchase a 4 day tour they will work with you to secure local accomidations at inns/bed and breakfasts those types of places.  You can take a airline sized roll carry on if it isn’t too heavy. Your former hotel may store your heavier luggage for a fee, especially if you are staying there when you get back. 

I came to the board to say- guess what?!! OPI’s fall collection is SCOTLAND!

On 9/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, Dust Bunny said:

The easiest way to answer that is to direct you to the tour: Scottish Dream Tours'  Romancing the Highlands. I can't recommend it enough. The tour guides are outstanding guys, and it's a small group experience. Only 10-11 people are on each tour, which makes everything better. They've been doing it for 10+ years, but, surprise surprise, it's really taken off the last couple years. This is the first year they've sold out, and I'm sure that will continue. I love Outlander, and I'm a huge history buff, but I fell in love with the land. For me, it really was heaven on earth. And you appreciate that kind of stuff as a cancer survivor. 🙂 It's also about the people. The 10 of us came from all over the country: Oregon, Washington State, New Jersey, Colorado, Kansas, and yours truly from Minnesota. We bonded right away. It was pretty awesome. It was quite a thing to see these huge coach tours come to the sites: people get out, walk around, take pictures, then get back on the bus to spend most of the day on the road. This tour is a 180 from that. We drove on local roads, saw so much land and towns, and got the local and authentic flavor every step of the way. Seriously, it's awesome. It really was the trip of my dreams. A few of us are going back on a different SDT trip in a few years. They're also on Facebook and Instagram.  

I kind of didn't want to post this, so it could stay a lesser-known treasure, but that ship has sailed with their 10,000 likes on FB. You get a lot of intimate experiences that you would never get on big group tours. (And the best Tattoo seats in the place! The guys wait HOURS to snag those.)

Nothing against large coach tours for people who like those (it is a great travel option for some people), but these tours live up to their name. 

ETA: Make that 50,000 FB likes. Yeah, that ship has sailed.

Thanks for sharing! Planning a trip to Scotland next year, so I love how people have been sharing suggestions here.

We are planning a trip to Scotland next year, & my hubby found a facebook group for Scottish tourism, so he posted a question about Outlander tour recommendations. You won't believe how many companies are doing them-probably a dozen, maybe more (I haven't finished checking them all out yet). I knew tourism there has been positively impacted by the show, but who knew it was that much??? Anyway I was mostly amused at how all the women were responding with comments about how my hubby is a gem (big brownie points for him, although he didn't mention he likes the show too)! And then there was the ones that don't want to share their TV hubby.🤣

No idea how or why I got a spoiler box that I don't need!

Spoiler
Edited by Cdh20

I just returned from Scotland last Friday and I recognize all those castles/palaces posted above. 😉 My cousin and I took the four day Rabbie's Tour. Our tour guide was a handsome 30-something Scotsman in a kilt who was former military. Loved him.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 4

Also in Downtown LA -FIDM has a Tv show exhibit with an Outlander display from season 4. A little less exciting than seeing that wedding dress. I wished for season 2 Paris costumes.

C0A74C12-5F29-4270-8205-5E00254F0E60.jpeg

Edited by Cdh20

Sam Heughan has posted on twitter about his relentless harassment. He really is very angry. it is worth checking his twitter page out. I had no idea he was subjected to so much invasive and ugly activity. 

2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

It would appear that so-called "fans" have been behaving badly.  Again.

I read an article about his post this morning.  I don't understand the motivations of people.  I don't get the hate-watching of the show (or any show) or the nasty comments the actors and others get while living their own lives.  

Frankly, I don't care where, how, or with whom he chooses to spend his time.  I don't care when he got there or under what circumstances.  Even if I did care, I wouldn't feel compelled to leave nasty messages for him.  I guess the argument is that when someone puts their lives out there for others to see, they should have an expectation that people can comment/criticize/judge/say whatever they want about it.  I don't know - I've never felt it necessary to say something negative to a celebrity, politician, or other public figure, even if I did feel negatively.  I think sometimes people like to be outraged for the sake of being outraged, and social media platforms give people the perfect outlet for it.  Bullying takes multiple forms, and these people are truly no better than what we typically see as traditional bullies.  

That must be the worst part of being a celebrity, you need to have very thick skin. I don’t think they owe fans anything, it’s no ones business who you are with, where you are, what you do. And social media has made people forget their manners. 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, Cdh20 said:

Suggestions always welcome! You liked The Last Kingdom too, right? 

Answering from another thread.  Yes, indeed!  I love historical dramas, especially if they are derived from a book series.  Starz also has the White Queen/White Princess/Spanish Princess series that were good, and one of my all time favorites, Black Sails, which combines fiction with real life pirates.  Great stuff.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Answering from another thread.  Yes, indeed!  I love historical dramas, especially if they are derived from a book series.  Starz also has the White Queen/White Princess/Spanish Princess series that were good, and one of my all time favorites, Black Sails, which combines fiction with real life pirates.  Great stuff.

I get off topic quite easily-in real life as well! We love historical drama. But we do not have Starz. 

I actually read one of those books by Phillipa Gregory, on recommendation from a friend. I Can't remember which one now, I either didn't like the writing or the characters much, but I do love English history. One of my fave books is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, & there was a mini series of that many years ago, & it was well done! 

Speaking of The Last Kingdom, my hubby was recently reading the last book in that series, & I have just started The Fiery Cross ( I always start as the season is ending, never before). We were laughing that The Last Kingdom (show) has added more sex, & humour, & Outlander has taken more away. Totally the difference between male & female writers we think.

• LOL 1

Oh, yeah, Pillars and the sequels. Fun too. Have you read Hillary Mantel’s books?  Wolf Hall, etc?  I just finished the first 2, waiting for the library to reopen for the third. The writing is excellent, very witty and a different perspective of the court of Henry VIII.