Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Can I just say that hiring a bunch of strapping young men to put on kilts and Outlander t-shirts and telling them to march around Comic Con waving Outlander banners to the accompaniment of three hot young ladies playing bagpipes and wearing sexy tartan dresses has got to be one of the all-time greatest targeted marketing campaigns I have ever seen.  Because let's face it -- all Outlander needs to attract women is to keep posting pictures of Sam. They have to work a bit harder if they want to cut through the noise and attract young men.  This group marching around at Comic-con wafting testosterone all over Outlander's image is pure genius.

In other news (since this is the small talk thread) LOOK AT THE NEW STAR WARS VIDEO THEY RELEASED AT COMIC CON!!!!!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

Sorry about the shouting.  Bit excited.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
(edited)

Young men might learn a lot from watching Jamie's "technique".  lol  

BTW Does anyone know if there are Outlander ads or interviews placed in, shall we say, men's magazines? or even Rolling Stone Magazine.

ETA Makes me think of that old song, Where the Boys Are.  

Edited by cypfan

I only watch 2 TV shows, The Walking Dead and Outlander. Star Wars is such a force in my family that we once had a discussion on FaceBook about where to hold our family's fantasy footbal draft and it evolved into a Star Wars discussion (Hoth was too cold, Alderan is nice this time of year but the Death Star is a little too close, don;t let Yoda cook if we hold it on Dagobah). I wish I lived closer than 2000 miles from San Diego so I could attend Comic Con!

• Love 2

That's awesome, GHscorpiosrule!!   Sam's favorite, why don't you invite him over for a wee nip :)

PS-I always thought your screen name was your initials and your astrological sign....ha!  

• Love 2

That's awesome, GHscorpiosrule!! Sam's favorite, why don't you invite him over for a wee nip :)

PS-I always thought your screen name was your initials and your astrological sign....ha!

It is? I had NO idea!

Hah! No, it's for RobertFucking!Scorpio, Anna Devane Scorpio, and Robin Scorpio from General Hospital because THEY Rule!!!

I'm a Pisces.

• Love 2

Well, I've taken on Game of Thrones to help get me through Droughtlander. I've finished season one and am enjoying it, although I am not as enthralled as I am with Jamie, Claire, and the merry Scots. I have had to turn away several times because of violence and never had to do this in Outlander. Is it next year yet?

I saw the new Ian McKellen movie, "Mr. Holmes" last night.  Here are the ways in which it is like Outlander:

1. ​It is set in two time-frames and one of them is just after World War II
  2. There's a wee boy named Roger who has an important role to play
  3. Frances de la Tour is in it (she's been cast in season 2 of Outlander but I won't say in which role because, spoilers)
  4. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking.

That's it.  It's really nothing like Outlander.  No swash-buckling.  No time-travel.  It is a very quiet, character-driven movie. Very poignant.  Ian McKellen is amazing and so is the boy who plays Roger.  I highly recommend it.

Oooh, Project Runway's new season starts next week on August 6. That'll fill some of the hours for the rest of the summer. If it wasn't for the fact that Terri Dresbach is an establish designer -- even though costume -- it would be cool to see her on that show with Caitronia Balfe as her model.

How would you draw more viewers in to the Outlander show ?

My first viewing was the night of the May 30th finale.

Perhaps it would be helpful to know why some of us joined the fun late? 

For me, I had seen a random commercial or two. I vaguely remember the tv ad as a woman crouched down behind a rock and a man with sword drawn walking around the rock.  I further recall that the show spoke of time travel.  I thought that as a weekly series the woman would travel to a new place or time every week.

This didn't interest me because I like character driven stories. I thought the actress and actor ( Sam and Cait ) were very attractive but I did not recognize them.  

If I had known them and liked their previous work I would have considered checking it out.  

I am not a SyFy fan as rule. Maybe If I had realized how little time travel played into the story (not true from a heart string pov,,,) Or, if I had read something about the beauty of the production or, if the historical accuracy ( luv history) I might have taken the plunge.

For me, it is a big commitment of time to start a new show without a hint that it will be worthwhile to me. 

FYI I read the entertainment section reviews in my daily big city newspaper in Houston. I read alot (too much?) on the internet for instance, Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety I do watch various dramas and cable channels. Unfortunately, I do tend to watch OnDemand. Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVR most shows.......no commercials to watch

What can Sony do or Starz to get more viewers for Outlander.

Edited by cypfan

This is kinda random, and I was unsure where to put it, but I figured Small Talk with some all book-related and Friday Night Lights (in case someone wants to watch it) spoiler tags would be ok.

I'm in the middle of a rewatch of Friday Night Lights; it's almost (American) football season. As I've been watching, it's occurred to me that Coach and Tami Taylor remind me a lot of Jamie and Claire 

older-version, after she's returned from the 60s in Voyager.

It's such an equal partnership, often them vs. the world. A couple with strong morals and dedication - to each other and to those entrusted to them. Not to mention 

their daughter

. There's one scene in particular in season 3 of FNL between Coach Taylor 

and his daughter's boyfriend

that reminds me a lot of Jamie

fighting Roger at the end of Drums of Autumn

. Also, even though there are fantasy elements involved in Outlander, there's a down-to-earth nature of Jamie and Claire's relationship in the midst of

his farming and her nursing

that reminds me of the Taylors.

The Taylors were so beloved during FNL's run because of their equal, mature, down-to-earth, and committed relationship. Rewatching it has reminded me of why I love Jamie and Claire's relationship so much. It'd be nice is such relationships were more common in fiction.

Edited by Dust Bunny

Friday Night Lights was one of my favorite shows and I started watching Nashville entirely because of Connie Britton.

If anyone is looking for book suggestions for Droughtlander, I've got a series to recommend that I just started re-reading.  I even went to the used book store to buy paperbacks, because I think I'll want to come back to it again.  The best thing is the series is complete.  No waiting for the next book!

The series is by Jacqueline Carey and the first book is Kushiel's Dart.  There are three trilogies (and they're long, so lots to keep you busy). They're more fantasy than historical fiction, though the fictionalized world is centered in what would be France and the history mimics a lot of our world history. The first trilogy is focused on Phedre, who is trained to be a courtesan in a society that values their courtesans in the same way Companions are valued in Whedon's Firefly universe.  If you're not squeamish about sex scenes, it's a great epic tale with a heroine and hero every bit as lovable as Claire and Jamie.  Like Outlander, they are told in first person narrative by the main female character.  I also love the way the stories are paced.  A LOT happens in these stories, and unlike Gabaldon's books we are not always made to hear every excruciating detail of it.  There are no single days that go on for a hundred or more pages!

The second trilogy focuses mainly on the foster-son of the heroine and hero of the first series (and they are there as well). The third trilogy takes place one or two generations later and focuses on one of the descendents of characters in the second trilogy.  I've read them all and I'll read them again.  If you're looking for something to tide you over, I highly recommend these books!

Saw this being tweeted everywhere: 1st seven Outlander books (From Outlander to An Echo in the Bone) available in Kindle edition for $1.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C9C77E/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009C9C77E&linkCode=as2&tag=pikkoshouse-20&linkId=Y3FPKSELDUQUYNZA

I saw this! And let me tell you, I am peeved. Amazon waits until I've already bought the first seven to pull this on me? Yes, it's all about MEEEE!!!!

My only consolation is that I only had to pay  .11 for Echo due to a settlement from someone else against Amazon.

• Love 1

I saw this! And let me tell you, I am peeved. Amazon waits until I've already bought the first seven to pull this on me? Yes, it's all about MEEEE!!!!

My only consolation is that I only had to pay  .11 for Echo due to a settlement from someone else against Amazon.

I hear you. I bought the 7th book last week.

It's possible I posted this before, but I was reminded of it by this tweet:

Outlander Cast ‏@OutlanderCast 5m5 minutes ago

If you want to hear more about Ron Moore and what his job of "Showrunner" is like, watch the GREAT film called "Showrunners" on Netflix...

Here's the film on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942971/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Might be worth renting during this "droughtlander."

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

I watched I Know Where I'm Going for the first time on TCM recently, and it's a cute film about a woman who is traveling to Scotland to marry her fiance. Might help some of you through the drought. :)

• Love 1

I just saw an amazing movie called "Breaking the Waves" that I recommend for those suffering from #DoughtlanderDeux.  Mind you -- it is NOTHING like Outlander.  But it has these features in common.

1. Set in Scotland.
  2. Beautiful scenery coupled with some realistic dreary weather.
  3. Centers around a pair of newlyweds who have some serious challenges to overcome.
  4. Demonstrates that strong sexual attraction is not sufficient to ensure a happy marriage.
  5. Demonstrates how easily strong sexual attraction can tip over into unhealthy obsession.
  6. Set in the same (modern) time-frame that we see depicted in MOBY.
  7. Features a very strict religious community whose beliefs are at odds with those the main couple (not unlike the Quakers in MOBY).
  8. One of the main characters is a nurse.
  9. There is an important character named Richardson.
  10. Features a wedding night that is, in it's own way, quite joyful but in other ways is very sad.
  11. Shifts into troubling sexual situations and violence in an inevitable way.
  12. The acting, especially from Emily Watson, is absolutely stellar.
  13. There is a subtle, fantastical element that hangs over the whole story.
  14. Bravery and sacrifice are an overarching theme.

I finished The Firey Cross today and enjoyed the rich descriptive nature of the narrative.  And, I'm not usually a big fan of that style of writing.  But , you know how you become aware of something and then it just drives you crazy like someone clicking a pen or kicking your chair?

The word alacrity.  I began to notice its overuse in Drums of Autumn but today I encountered it four times during a 30-minute read.  Gabaldon's editor should have caught this.  It's not as if there are no synonyms that could be substituted.  Willingly, eagerly, readily, quickly. 

I'm not sure whether I'll move on with alacrity to Buik 6 but I'll be moving on with the series.

• Love 1

The word alacrity.  I began to notice its overuse in Drums of Autumn but today I encountered it four times during a 30-minute read.  Gabaldon's editor should have caught this.  It's not as if there are no synonyms that could be substituted.  Willingly, eagerly, readily, quickly.

Yup. I had the same reaction to that word in book 1 and, originally, I had a negative reaction to her over-use of adverbs in general, especially when used in conjunction with dialog.  But my opinion on this has mellowed.  Recent books in particular have made me appreciate the importance and (in many cases) the humor that those adverbs bring to the novel.  In book 8 there are some wonderful moments where Lord John says things "cheerfully" that just crack me up -- and those lines of dialog would not be nearly as funny without that descriptor.  Similarly there is some dialog delivered by Jamie that can be interpreted as quite neutral in and of itself but Diana's description of HOW Jamie delivered the line makes it much much funnier.  So I forgive her over use of alacrity and adverbs in general.  BTW, I think her use of alacrity tapers off in later books.  I suspect someone did point it out to her.

Okay, I'm not sure if this is more a you-know-you've-been-reading-too-much-Outlander-when...you start having dreams about it sort of thing. But I had a kind of ridiculous dream last night. I just started reading Voyager and I guess Jamie waking up on the battlefield not actually dead left a certain impression on me. I was also thinking about the person Frank had seen that night looking at Claire through the window back in book one. Anyway, in my dream, it was Jamie, but he wasn't a ghost or whatever. He was flesh and blood and what's more...Frank was Black Jack. Basically, they were immortal and Frank/Black Jack had come across Claire in the 1940s and married her to spite Jamie and, of course, Claire too since Claire in the 1940s wasn't yet the Claire he had known. Jamie had come to Iverness knowing that it was all just beginning for them and also knew he shouldn't approach her in fear of changing something in the past. And then Claire came back through the stones and Frank/Black Jack is so devilish in his delight to be raising Jamie's child and Claire was none the wiser...it was all so weird!

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share that with you all. ;)

• Love 1

Oooooh.  DittyDotDot have you ever seen the movie, Highlander, or the TV show it spawned?  It begins with a voice-over saying "From the dawn of time we came; moving silently down through the centuries, living many secret lives, struggling to reach the time of the Gathering; when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you… until now."  It's about immortals who live among us.  And the lead character is a Highlander.

Aaaaand now the theme song by Queen is stuck in my head . . . "Here we are!  Born to be kings.  We're the princes of the universe!"

I saw one of the movies back in the day and I've seen a couple episodes of the TV show, but I never got into it. But, yeah, I woke up with the realization that I had just made Outlander into Highlander in my dreams--except in my dream there was more than one. Heh!

I do love Queen though. I might have to find and watch the movies again now, just for the music alone. ;)

I just finished binge-watching Peaky Blinders, a BBC series now available on Netflix.  I recommend it for your viewing pleasure during #DroughlanderDeux. It's vsually stunning, the acting is great, and the plot is compelling and unpredictable without getting so convoluted that you can't keep up.  It's set immediately following World War I so if you watch Downton Abby and/or The Crimson Field this series tucks in very nicely between those two, exploring a very different part of British history (the gangs operating in Birmingham and London during that time-frame and the experience of the lower classes when THEY came home from the war with PTSD.)  There are only 12 episodes -- 2 seasons of 6 episodes each -- so it's not a huge investment to get into and it will leave you wanting more.  The good news is that there will be more -- Season 3 has been green-lit.

• Love 1

I'm back with another recommendation for #DroughtlanderDeux.  I just watched The Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis, which is playing in rotation on STARZ.  I must have seen it before but it's been so long it was like seeing it for the first time.  It was a great fix because it's filmed in the mountains of North Carolina, which reminds me of the beautiful scenery in Outlander. The chemistry between Madeline Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis is electric like the chemistry between Jamie and Claire.  The villain (Wes Studi) can give Black Jack Randall a run for his money, though really I think Black Jack is more black-hearted.  Wes Studi's character, Magua, is motivated by vengeance, having lost his home and family to the English, which is a motivation a Highander can understand.  And last but not least -- Daniel Day-Lewis as Hawkeye is the closest I've come to being able to explain what Jamie looks like in my head.  Imagine Hawkeye in that movie with red hair and standing 6'4"  That's pretty much who I see when I read Diana's words.  I love Sam's portrayal.  LOVE it.  But my Jamie is . . . different.

Edited to remove mildly spoilerific references.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

I can't say ENOUGH about this movie! I've mentioned it, It think, more than a few times, in the later buiks series, when talking about

Wee Ian living with the Mohawks.

Daniel-Day Lewis is just so BRUTALLY Beautiful in this movie. I've seen it, the latest, definitive director's cut, which restored 95% of the theatrical release's version, no less than 20 times, back-to-back.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

That movie is pretty much perfection for me. Never get tired of watching it and fall asleep to the soundtrack regularly with sweet dreams of DDL as Hawkeye in my head.

Have you guys ever tried the Wilderness series by Sara Donati? Is a "sequel" to Last of the Mohicans and features Hawkeye and Cora's family. It's got some Outlander similarities and even features some character cameos. I didn't get past the third book, but may revisit some day. The biggest similarity is that they're LONG books, so could fill lots of waiting time. :)

• Love 1

Ok, I thought this would be the best place to post some ramblings on random thoughts of the shows/books. I'm not one for a full on dissection of scenes/episodes so most of this does not even relate to the story.
I first came across Outlander via Poldark. I've kind of got out of the habit of watching TV on TV and while living abroad I was mainly watching American TV series online rather than those from the UK or the few worth watching from Ireland. (The little I watched of Spanish TV did not persuade me at all, despite whatever language benefits it might have had). So I missed out on Poldark, even though I could have watched it on BBC back in March. Later in the Spring I started reading the books. On a work trip to Barbados (most likely my only one…sigh…) I watched the first episode on the flight and had to watch the rest as soon as I got home. This was just before it started airing in America so I noticed how it was being mentioned as one to watch for people who needed their Outlander fix.
When I read the synopsis for Outlander I did think I'd read it before and dismissed it due to the time travel aspect. That sounded just too wacky. Then I read that the lead actress was Irish and, well, I just love when Irish actors/artists or anybody really ‘make it' abroad. I mean, it's not that they need to go away to prove themselves, but if you stay in Ireland there is a bit of 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome.
Realistically if someone wants to make a decent living from the arts they will need to go a little further afield. Actually, probably one of the reasons I got interested in Poldark first was because the lead actor is Irish.
So I watched, at first not giving it my full attention, but it grew on me. Eventually I caved and bought the first book, then the second and third, To be honest I need a bit of a break now, number three was a bit much. But I'm sure I'll go back to them again.
It was weird seeing the word 'laird' as a common noun, since it's my surname. (Also my married name turns up later in the book too...) Well, I remember in years gone by getting a kick out of hearing it on Monarch of the Glen. Sometimes people here don’t know it and drop the ‘i’ out of the pronunciation. Ugh.
Also, I love Scotland and I love anything to do with the Gaelic languages; Irish, Scottish, Manx, even if Irish is the only one I can speak. (Also though I haven't the first clue of them I'm always interested reading about the other Celtic languages branch of Welsh/Breton/Cornish, I have a book from my grandfather; ‘Introduction to Cornish' so I guess the interest is inherited'). I call Caitriona's bluff about saying she could understand the other speaking Gaelic. When I read the written versions I can often make it out, but some words are totally different and I find the spoken version sounds really different. Then again, I always found the Donegal dialect the hardest to understand and it might sound more similar to Scottish Gaelic and also more commonly learnt where Cait comes from. (It's also nice to hear people pronouncing Caitriona's name correctly, maybe one day it'll happen with its variant Caitlín).
There are constant debates here about Irish being a dying language and a waste of time and it shouldn't be compulsory in schools, but to be honest I think if we stop learning it we will lose something. Even if a lot of people forget it once they leave school, many are grateful later. I find it kind of sad that pretty much none of the Scottish actors had any exposure to Gaelic, from what I’ve read.
(Also, in the books, kind of odd that Claire uses the anglicised 'Erin go bragh' at one point, what's that about?' )
Anyway, last weekend at my nephew's christening, my brother's mother-in-law was talking with her sister as Gaeilge (they come from one of the islands in the Gaeltacht) Talking about her other daughter, let's call her Caoimhe: 'Níl ‘boyfriend’ Caoimhe anseo. Is Sasanach é' and I was thinking back to the way it’s translated in the books as 'Outlander’. In Irish the word for England is Sasana, from some places I've read this comes from Saxony. But maybe it's just that Scottish people used it as anybody not from there. I thought back to being on a bus in Oxford with a friend from home. It's true, sometimes the most use of Irish is abroad when people want to have a reasonably private conversation (not that there's any guarantee...) He wasn't happy living there because of all the' Sasanaigh'. There was a certain amount of bitterness and I remember thinking that he should probably not live in a place if he could put that venom into that word. Anyway, he now lives back in Scotland, maybe that’s where he picked it up. I never really hear it used here too much when English is being spoken.
So tomorrow I'm going to Edinburgh with work. I can't wait, it's been 3 years since I was last there. Then my husband will join me and we'll go to Glasgow. Edinburgh is beautiful but I only have friends in Glasgow. Years ago when I visited with my sister and mentioned to one that she was studying in Edinburgh the reaction was: 'oh, you need a hug!'. Also, the accents in Glasgow are so much thicker, so much more stereotypically Scottish, so thick I needed to translate for my husband last time. I love them!
Laoghaire, I'm not sure if that was ever a name in Scotland, but that's more Irish and male, not that I think anybody would be called that these days. In Dublin you have Dun Laoghaire, the fort of Laoghaire.
Oh and at some stage in the books I thought she was introducing the Irish author of Tristram Shandy, he did exist in a similar timeframe. I guess that back when the books were written you couldn't just google a name that came into your head and see if it was shared with anybody famous.

It could be because I watched before reading but I do think that this is one where the series is better than the books. There are times when I've noticed the dialogue was lifted directly from the books and I wish they had used the opportunity to change it. I'm happy to hear they will be making changes for the next season. Like I said I'll probably read some more, though maybe I’ll borrow from the library rather than buy. I just feel like so much happened at such speed that it's hard to really care about what is happening.

So since growing to love the show and rewatching I suppose I've ended up in the situation of a lot more long-time fans....waiting. I've watched Peaky Blinders (cough...Cillian Murphy...cough) and funnily enough we’re off to a wedding in Birmingham next month, though I can’t work up quite the same levels of enthusiasm as my trip to Scotland.
Two weeks ago we called out at my in-laws. The weather was not great but I saw a fleet of strange boats moored on the edge of the lake. Apparently the day before they'd enjoyed watching a battle being 'fought'. And I'm thinking, yeah, maybe I should check 'Vikings' out, it might pass some time.

So Edinburgh, will check out the Royal Mile, might climb Arthur's seat, then Ben Lomond on Saturday (any time I say that I just start humming 'you take the high road'). I've never really been beyond the cities before, which is a shame. I think I’d better finish packing now, I’ve rambled on for a lot longer than I planned.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll probably buy the next book in the airport tomorrow morning.

• Love 3

Great post, cailinoBAC! I'm doing a 2 week Scotland trip next August 2016, as a sort of "Celebrate Life After Being Cancer-Free!" thing. (Cancer-free since chemo this spring and a double mastectomy in July.) Part of me is already there. I hope your trip is wonderful.

(any time I say that I just start humming 'you take the high road')

So I'm a bit of a newer "Doctor Who" fan, especially Tennant's 10th Doctor.  I went down the YouTube rabbit hole one night and found a Comic Relief skit with Catherine Tate (who is doing her Lauren Cooper character) and Tennant, which includes nods to his Doctor Who time (since she also played one of the Doctor's companions). During the skit, there was a mention of that song that got a lot of laughs, and I didn't get it at all. I had to further go down the rabbit hole to understand the Scottish allusion. So this American got a bit of a Scottish education that night. YouTube is a powerful drug. Here's the skit, for kicks and giggles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

I first came across Outlander via Poldark.

Welcome, cailinoBAC. Funny you should mention having come across Outlander via Poldark.

I just wrote a post on another board talking about some of the similarities between the key relationships in both stories. And, while I was typing, I came up with even more.

Even though Outlander is more violent and sexually graphic than Poldark, and there are paranormal/fantasy aspects in the former, both Outlander and Poldark are based in history and involve real historical events.

SPOILERS for both Poldark and Outlander included below.

But what Outlander really shares with Poldark is that it's central story is

the romance and marriage of a couple who come together under less than ideal circumstances and, in which, one member has a tie to another love (in Poldark, Elizabeth; in Outlander, Frank) that threatens the central relationship. In both stories, initially one member of the couple feels more than the other, and the other person's love grows through the marriage. Also, one of the couple is more experienced in love than the other. I haven't really thought about it much before typing this, but Demelza and Ross' relationship really does share some important commonalities with Claire and Jamie's including

-- and the following are SPOILERS for Outlander and Poldark involving stuff we haven't seen yet on TV --

the death of their first child, a girl, and the fathering of a son with someone other than his wife.

Edited by Nidratime

Dust Bunny, I'm sure you'll have a fabulous trip! I hope to actually take some proper time to visit Scotland some time, it's only every been weekends here and there. This time the weather was gorgeous in Edinburgh, but it was lashing when we tried to climb Ben Lomond so we had to to turn around and ended up going to a whiskey distillery instead. It's a hard life!

My friend who lives in Glasgow, he watches a fair bit of tv too, so we were comparing notes. At some stage he mentioned having heard of some TV series that had been made in Scotland that involved time travel. I told him the name and that I'd seen it and liked it but wasn't sure if he would. When I recommend things it often seems to have the opposite effect. He mentioned signing up for Prime, so I guess he'll find it eventually. It is kind of strange it hasn't been shown on any TV station there, we had it on RTE in Ireland before the summer. 

In general, I hope this isn't controversial to ask, but do many guys watch/read this? I watched it alone, and sometimes I thought my husband would like it and other times I just imagined him rolling his eyes. And similarly with the first book, I was thinking he might enjoy it, but then I changed my mind. But I could be surprised, he's on to book 4 of Poldark now so maybe when he runs out of those I might just leave it lying around (again, not an outright recommendation, in case he didn't like it!). Nidratime, I like your comparison of Outlander and Poldark. It's funny, because on the surface there seems as if there is little in common other than the fact they are set a few hundred years ago on the same island.

I was out hiking today in the Cooleys and we came across a dolmen and a circle of stones, some I think with ogham. No time travel when I touched them though!

When I recommend things it often seems to have the opposite effect. He mentioned signing up for Prime, so I guess he'll find it eventually. It is kind of strange it hasn't been shown on any TV station there, we had it on RTE in Ireland before the summer.

When Outlander premiered, it was not too far away from when the Scottish referendum was being decided. There was talk in the UK media about Prime Minister Cameron appealing to the broadcasters not to air the program at that time, thinking it might influence the vote. Perhaps that's why there was such a delay to pick up the show in the UK when so many other places were showing it or had decided to show it all over the globe. And, perhaps that delay put Amazon in the driver's seat, being able to grab it while UK television broadcasters hemmed and hawwed.

• Love 1

I'm reading "Texas" by James Michener, which is basically a set of stories beginning in the 16th century and going forward in time, telling the history of Texas through a set of inter-related fictional characters.  The chapter I just started takes a sudden detour and jumps back in time to 1803 to introduce a character who lives in the Highlands of Scotland.  I was all set to complain here in this discussion board because he was presented with a great kilt by his mother as garb to wear on a cattle-droving trip -- his first time away from his home glen --  after which he is to continue on to St. Andrews University to study.  I said "Hey, no, he can't wear a kilt -- not someplace public like the University.  It's been outlawed!"  But no, the Dress Act of 1746 was repealed in 1782.  So he can wear one in 1802.

Another interesting thing is that the Highland Scots depicted in "Texas" are still VERY upset about the Glencoe Massacre.  Young Finlay Macnab who is featured in the book is taught at his father's knee to never trust a Campbell.

Finally, I enjoyed the passage below as it made me think of Jamie, Murtagh, Rupert, Angus and the rest.  

This theft and countertheft among the Highland clans was not judged in the harsh manner it would have been in England, where misappropriation of another man's horse or cow could mean a hanging.  Highlanders stole each other's cattle in a kind of game, a test of gallantry and intelligence, with always the chance that one clan might rise up in desperation and launch a general slaughter -- not of the other clan's cattle but of the clan itself.  It was heroic competition, and none were more cruel at it than the Campbells, or more sly and self-protective than the Macnabs.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

When Outlander premiered, it was not too far away from when the Scottish referendum was being decided. There was talk in the UK media about Prime Minister Cameron appealing to the broadcasters not to air the program at that time, thinking it might influence the vote. Perhaps that's why there was such a delay to pick up the show in the UK when so many other places were showing it or had decided to show it all over the globe. And, perhaps that delay put Amazon in the driver's seat, being able to grab it while UK television broadcasters hemmed and hawwed.

I've never heard so much nonsense. Why would this historically inaccurate televised romance novel influence an important vote? I doubt it no-one I know has watched it. And any who was offended by the trope of the civilising English woman teaching these barbarian scots how to behave, they would do what I did and stop watching, not change their vote.

This programme is more likely to have people offended by the stupid Americans who wrote and produce this shite.

I've never heard so much nonsense. Why would this historically inaccurate televised romance novel influence an important vote? I doubt it no-one I know has watched it. And any who was offended by the trope of the civilising English woman teaching these barbarian scots how to behave, they would do what I did and stop watching, not change their vote.

David Cameron v Outlander: PM met with Sony execs to stop Scottish rebel drama before referendum vote

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-cameron-v-outlander-pm-met-sony-execs-stop-scottish-rebel-drama-before-referendum-vote-1497534

British PM David Cameron Put Pressure On Sony To Stall “Outlander” TV Show In UK Fearing Yes Vote In Scottish Referendum, Says WikiLeaks

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/british-pm-david-cameron-put-pressure-sony-stall-outlander-tv-show-uk-fearing-yes-vote-scottish

Leaked Sony emails show TV chiefs discussing political "importance" of Outlander to indyref

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13210521.Leaked_Sony_emails_show_TV_chiefs_discussing_political__importance__of_Outlander_to_indyref/

David Cameron ‘met Sony over Outlander UK release’

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/tv-radio/david-cameron-met-sony-over-outlander-uk-release-1-3747339#ixzz3mOKPQBBh

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/tv-radio/david-cameron-met-sony-over-outlander-uk-release-1-3747339

• Love 5

Nidratime,,,,,,,This stupid American really appreciates your research on the timing of the release of Outlander.  

WatchrTina,,,,,...I read Texas when it was first published. Little did I know that I would end up living here for so many years.  It is indeed a grand state with a sweeping history.

• Love 1