Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

The discussion over whether Claire would have heard the Nathan Hale quote "I regret I have but one life to give for my country" reminded me of this bit from "Vive La Revolution" by Mark Steel:

The matter of American independence was first brought to my attention during the early years of my primary education by a fierce teacher, who began a lesson by placing his globe on his table, spinning it slowly, jabbing his finger at various points, and repeating, "This was ours, this was ours, this was ours," until he hit the magnificent phrase, "And that's America; we gave that bit back." And then we all groaned, as if to say, "Duh, what idiot did that then?" 

The book is a funny, concise history of the French revolution, I really recommend it if you're curious about the subject but you don't want to delve too far into it.

Gonna quote this as well, while I'm here (although this is only in the introduction to the U.S. edition):

The first thing you learn about history in British school is "When was the Battle of Hastings," referring to the French invasion of 1066. And the daft thing is, I bet people in 1071 not many people could remember. They'd probably have said, "Ooh, it CAN'T be five years ago already can it? Well hang on, it was 1067 when Ken got leprosy, so I suppose it must have been."

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

The first thing you learn about history in British school is "When was the Battle of Hastings," referring to the French invasion of 1066. And the daft thing is, I bet people in 1071 not many people could remember. They'd probably have said, "Ooh, it CAN'T be five years ago already can it? Well hang on, it was 1067 when Ken got leprosy, so I suppose it must have been."

To be honest, that's how I remembered when we first went into Iraq. "Remember when you took that road trip, to sister's house just after niece was born, and the only thing on the radio for days was how things were progressing in Iraq, was that in 2003 or 2004?"

• Love 1

Each book has its own thread for book talk related to it, so there are spoilers for the books in each of those threads. Outlander's thread is on page two of this site.

Don't know if this link will work, but if not, just go to the second page and you'll find the Outlander book thread.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/6672-book-1-outlander-cross-stitch/page-3#entry920412

Thanks Nidratime, I posted in that thread early on, but went back to read the last page, and what I need to know wasn't covered, and so I just pm'd WatchrTina, with the hope of her being able to clarify it for me.

A few weeks ago I wrote about encountering some Highlander-style vengeance in the book trilogy "The Baroque Cycle".  In that book, the bloody vengeance in question takes place 22 years after the infamous Glencoe Massacre. Highlanders, as we know, can carry a grudge.

So, does anyone watch the TV show Mad Men?  I just got caught up last night and I had to laugh when the Glencoe Massacre reared it's ugly head in that story too.  Let's just say that even in 1960's Greenwich, Connecticut, a MacDonald isna going to pass up the opportunity to take wee a bit of vengeance on a Campbell if he can -- 250 years after the fact.  Peter Campbell -- I knew there was a reason I never liked the character.

• Love 3

So, does anyone watch the TV show Mad Men?  I just got caught up last night and I had to laugh when the Glencoe Massacre reared it's ugly head in that story too.  Let's just say that even in 1960's Greenwich, Connecticut, a MacDonald isna going to pass up the opportunity to take wee a bit of vengeance on a Campbell if he can -- 250 years after the fact.  Peter Campbell -- I knew there was a reason I never liked the character.

Aww.. Pete is an interesting enough character. VK is great in the role.

For Game of Throne watchers and readers, the Glencoe Massacre was also the inspiration for the Red Wedding.

• Love 2

I don't watch Mad Men, but I do read Nora Roberts (which I'm sure I've mentioned in multiple threads, hee!), who has written a wonderful series about fictional MacGregors when she wrote for Silhouette Romance.  And the Patriarch, One Daniel MacGregor, upon learning in the third book, that is firstborn son was romantically involved with a Campbell, well, let's just say it hilarious. "....thieving, murdering Campbell!!!!"

It's a wonderful series, which spawned sequels of anthologies with the 3 granddaughters (MacGregor Brides), 3 grandsons (MacGregor Grooms),  one full book of the first grandson, (The Winning Hand), and The Perfect Neighbor, a story of a honorable granddaughter, Cybil--her Da is the brother to the Campbell that married his first born son, Alan.

Just in case anyone is interested:

Playing the Odds--Serena MacGregor (Daniel's youngest and only daughter) and Justin Blade 

Tempting Fate --Cain MacGregor (Middle child of Daniel) and Diana Blade (Justin's sister)

All the Possiblities--Alan MacGregor (you guessed it, the first born) and Shelby Campbell

One Man's Art--Grant Campbell (brother to Shelby) and Genevieve Grandeau (first cousin to the Blade siblings on their mother's side).

Then Nora wrote Rebellion, which is the story of the MacGregor's ancestors around the 1740s.  Oh! There's also an anthology, In from the Cold, which is the story of Daniel's great-great-great Grandfather?

I will always be disappointed that Nora broke her ties with Silhouette before she could write the stories for the last Blade granddaughter, Amelia, and Cybil's older brother and sister, who were twins. SIGH....

• Love 1

I LOL'd at the Mad Men Glencoe Massacre reference. 280 years ago and an ocean away.  With two characters who probably have no direct connection to it, except the last name. I wonder if random Hatfields and McCoys do the same thing?

Anthony Bourdain is going to be in Scotland for Parts Unknown on CNN this Sunday.  No doubt haggis will be on the menu at some point.

I LOL'd at the Mad Men Glencoe Massacre reference. 280 years ago and an ocean away.  With two characters who probably have no direct connection to it, except the last name. I wonder if random Hatfields and McCoys do the same thing?

Anthony Bourdain is going to be in Scotland for Parts Unknown on CNN this Sunday.  No doubt haggis will be on the menu at some point.

A poster in Mad Men noted that in the South, these kind of grudges are still alive and remembered. Not a big surprise that a very proud MacDonald would know and keep the grudge; Pete is all about the family status. As we know, there were lots of Scots who emigrated to the American south.

Yep, Tony is going to Glasgow. We have a forum for it here. /end plug. I watch and mod all of these shows and I love when they intersect.

I'm excited! I bought a ticket this morning for a local Highland Games/Scottish Festival this weekend.  I can only go on Sunday, but it looks like there will still be plenty of fun things to do. They do it at my college because it was founded by a Scottish Presbyterian, plus my mom's side of the family has Scots in it, so I'd be excited about going anyway, but with the Outlander tie in too it's extra fun. I should get a shirt: "Everything I know about Scottish History I learned from JAMMF".

• Love 5
(edited)

Playing the Odds--Serena MacGregor (Daniel's youngest and only daughter) and Justin Blade 

Tempting Fate --Cain MacGregor (Middle child of Daniel) and Diana Blade (Justin's sister)

All the Possiblities--Alan MacGregor (you guessed it, the first born) and Shelby Campbell

One Man's Art--Grant Campbell (brother to Shelby) and Genevieve Grandeau (first cousin to the Blade siblings on their mother's side).

Then Nora wrote Rebellion, which is the story of the MacGregor's ancestors around the 1740s.  Oh! There's also an anthology, In from the Cold, which is the story of Daniel's great-great-great Grandfather?

I will always be disappointed that Nora broke her ties with Silhouette before she could write the stories for the last Blade granddaughter, Amelia, and Cybil's older brother and sister, who were twins. SIGH....

MEEP! Quoting myself because I forgot! That after writing Alan's story, Nora gave us Daniel and Anna's story--For Now, Forever.

I especially love the epilogue.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Had fun at the Highland Games today!

It was rainy this morning, and I thought, "What if they cancel it?" And then I remembered, "No, this is a Scottish festival, they won't be afraid of the rain." And sure enough later, once I got there and was enjoying some music, the guy introducing the band had the same idea. He said, "And thanks to our special coordination with the National Weather Service, we are pleased to be able to provide you with genuine Scottish weather today." Heh.

There was a group of women walking around in pink tartan skirts and shirts that said "Clan Sassenach." They must have made them special because they had their names on their back, along with "Je suis prest." I also felt free to stop by the Clan Fraser tent, since the Scots in my ancestry would be Frasers. There weren't many of them there, but I chatted for awhile with one lady. They had some of the promo photos from the show hanging up and a few of the books on their table. I wonder how many people walk up to them just to talk about the books and the show.

• Love 3

So I went over to the Outlander Kitchen the other day and downloaded a recipe for Gypsy Stew.  I bought all the ingredients for it today and it is simmering on the stove right now.  It smells really good so I hope it tastes as good as it smells.  It's my first recipe from the Kitchen so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gypsy Stew

• Love 2

I have a question for anyone who's attended a book signing for Diana Gabaldon.  I see that she is going to be at B&N at The Grove in LA on Sunday, 5-31 while the costumes are also there.  Are her book signings a zoo or pretty easy to get through?  I ask because I see that the wristband availability starts at 9 am but she doesn't appear until 2 pm.  I guess I want to know if the wristbands are completely gone early or are there some left during the day.  It's an hour-plus drive down to LA, for me.   I was going to go down Thursday or Friday to see the costumes anyway, but I might hold off until Sunday if it's worth it to wait for a book signing.  I don't have a hard copy of Heart's Blood yet, so I could use this opportunity to pick one up.

I wrote this in the episode discussion thread

I think they should put in a warning in the beginning of the book as well, if they haven't done that already. It's always been puzzling to me than tv and movies get warnings but books with hugely explicit things in them get zero warning a lot of the time, but that is for another thread/topic.

And I was wondering if anyone does know the answer to this, why adult books (as in, for books that are not specifically children's books or YA novels, not adult as in racy) rarely get any ratings or warnings. I recently read a historical fiction novel that actually had a warning before the story started, and I was surprised because it happens so rarely, and even then in the back it was revealed it was only done because the author has written some YA books and he didn't want his YA readers to read it without knowing it wasn't the same type of book he usually does.

• Love 1

I have a question for anyone who's attended a book signing for Diana Gabaldon.  I see that she is going to be at B&N at The Grove in LA on Sunday, 5-31 while the costumes are also there.  Are her book signings a zoo or pretty easy to get through? 

Replying to my own post. Yep, zoo. I put that completely on B&N, a large business with lots of scheduled book signing events, which should be much more proficient in crowd control and information on average wait times when the response to your book signing event includes somewhere between 300-500 people.  Actual book signing started at around 2:45 for people with serialized-by-letters wrist bands.  They never suggested to those with higher letters that it might be as long as 2-3 hours before they would even be close enough to see the author in the distance, signing books as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Newbies to the process, or me, the fool, had no idea how long it would really take until we had actually been standing, in a line, on a sunny street for around 2 hours, when I finally realized I could just go and sit down inside until my part of the line caught up with me there.  Live and learn.  Heh.

Diana was nice and gracious. I didn't get a picture taken but she thoughtfully answered 2 questions for me, signed my 2 books and looked me in the eye as much as possible while I was in front of her listening to her answers.

• Love 2

I wrote this in the episode discussion thread

I think they should put in a warning in the beginning of the book as well, if they haven't done that already. It's always been puzzling to me than tv and movies get warnings but books with hugely explicit things in them get zero warning a lot of the time, but that is for another thread/topic.

And I was wondering if anyone does know the answer to this, why adult books (as in, for books that are not specifically children's books or YA novels, not adult as in racy) rarely get any ratings or warnings. I recently read a historical fiction novel that actually had a warning before the story started, and I was surprised because it happens so rarely, and even then in the back it was revealed it was only done because the author has written some YA books and he didn't want his YA readers to read it without knowing it wasn't the same type of book he usually does.

I've only seen a book warning once.  Sherrilyn Kenyon is known for writing tortured, angsty heroes in her paranormal Dark Hunter  series. Frankly, most of them are tortured horribly, and those books never got a warning label. BUT, when she wrote Acheron's story, which was over a 1000 pages, I think, she did put a warning out there, that there would be a LOT of violence, physical and sexual, things that had been hinted for this character throughout the series, but this was finally going to be the story of how he got to be the leader of the Dark Hunters.

• Love 1

Diana was nice and gracious. I didn't get a picture taken but she thoughtfully answered 2 questions for me, signed my 2 books and looked me in the eye as much as possible while I was in front of her listening to her answers.

What questions did you ask?  And of course, what were her answers?  Oh, and which 2 books? 

(edited)

What questions did you ask?  And of course, what were her answers?  Oh, and which 2 books? 

During the loooong wait in line I was distracting myself on twitter, among other things and a couple of my friends mentioned what they would ask her if they were there.  I really didn't have a question for myself so I asked theirs.

One was about how Diana would characterize the different endings between the book and the show: happy vs. hopeful.  She said she had the luxury of writing the whole finish in the book so it was more happy while the show had time constraints so it was more hopeful.  But in season 2 the story is supposed to continue to move them more to happy.

The other one was which character spoke to her most and if that changes.  She said Lord John spoke to her most and she was finding his brother Hal starting to more.  And Jamie and Claire, of course.  

The books were Written in My Own Heart's Blood, which I bought there and Cross Stitch, which I bought at Culloden when I visited in 2012.  I'm not a big collector of autographed stuff, so I just felt my paperback copy of Cross Stitch was a bit different and had another meaning too me besides being a book off my shelf.  Someone in line had a (well read) first edition hard back of Outlander, which I also might have chose, if I had one.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 1

Not sure where this post should go so I put it here, Mods feel to move it. 

Happened upon the movie Rob Roy last night starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange.  It's takes place in Scotland in 1700's and to me it had a very Outlander feel to it with a dashing hero (Liam Neeson wears a kilt well, who knew?)a love story and battles against the British.  I was skeptical of Jessica Lange (she plays his wife, Mary) but I have to give her credit, she managed a pretty good Scottish accent and she had nice chemistry with Liam.  They even had a similar "Come back to me James Fraser" scene.

Anywho, if anyone is looking to get through Droughtlander I recommend this film I really enjoyed it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I second Summer's recommendation. I think Rob Roy is excellent and has an Outlander feel. I thought Neeson and Lange were both very good, and Tim Roth is a chilling victim.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm reading a short-story collection called "Dangerous Women", which was edited by George R.R. Martin and contains his short-story "The Princess and the Queen" (well, it's a short-ish story -- George being George), which is a prequel to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series and it also contains Diana's short-story "Virgins" about young Jamie and Ian working as mercenary soldiers in France.

Here's the funny thing.  I just finished one short story (a ghost story) in which two of the main characters were named Cait and Jamie.  Jamie is a big, brooding, warrior-type (he teaches martial-arts).  Cait is a psychic -- she knows things no one else does.  By the end of the story, they are the only two left standing.

Continuing on into the next story, a character is introduced in the first sentence named MacKenzie.

It's all a bit spooky.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
(edited)

Forgive the double post but I just heard a wonderful interview on NPR with Alan Rickman who directed a movie called "A Little Chaos" set in Versailles during the reign of Louis the XIV.  Alan directed AND plays King Louis.  Kate Winslet plays a woman who is hired to design one of the gardens of Versailles.  That right there tells you that the film is, on a certain level, a fantasy mixed with historical fiction (remind you of anything?).  A woman in that demimonde simply could not have held that profession (or any profession really).  I haven't seen it yet so I can't vouch for it but it looks like an interesting way to spend a few hours during "Le Droughtlander." 

Note that this King Louis is not the same King Louis who is ruling in Paris where Jamie and Claire are headed in the last episode of Outlander season 1.  Quoting Wikipedia now:  "Louis XIV (5 September 1638 – 1 September 1715), known as Louis the Great (Louis le Grand) or the Sun King (le Roi-Soleil), was a monarch of the House of Bourbon who ruled as King of France from 1643 until his death [in 1715]. His reign of 72 years and 110 days is the longest of any monarch of a major country in European history. Upon his death just days before his seventy-seventh birthday, Louis was succeeded by his five-year-old great-grandson, Louis XV."  Jamie and Claire are headed into the realm of Louis the XV at the end of season 1.

Edited by WatchrTina

Watch The Musketeers and get all caught up on Louie fourteen. (I'm partial to number 9.)

While Kate Winslet's character is made up for the film there were a handful of women professional painters in that era. I wouldn't say never on garden design but I mostly stick to studying medieval and Renaissance gardens. 

• Love 1

Watch The Musketeers and get all caught up on Louie fourteen.

Or read the books. There are 5 Musketeer books: "The Three Musketeers", "Twenty Years After", "The Vicomte of Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask". (Those last 3 actually comprise the single, huge book "The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later".)

I devoured those books when I was in 9th grade, right after the 1993 Chris O'Donnell "Three Musketeers" adaptation came out. (Not the best adaptation, not the worst. But hey - Chris O'Donnell. I was in 9th grade.) When I finally saw Versailles in 2011, I spent 45 minutes in the first room, which is just an in-depth genealogy display of all the Bourbons; I recognized so many names in the family tree. I love that stuff.

Bringing it back to Outlander, I'm really excited to see what the set, art, and costume departments cook up for season 2 in Paris.

(Also, the DiCaprio "Iron Mask" adaptation is blasphemy to any Dumas fan. Oh horrible, oh horrible, most horrible.)

(Also, the DiCaprio "Iron Mask" adaptation is blasphemy to any Dumas fan. Oh horrible, oh horrible, most horrible.)

I'll take the hit. ;) I'm a Dumas fan, and I liked The Man in the Iron Mask. Why? Who knows! Probably it was the cast or the production values. By that time in the Dumas novels, I was a bit jaded with the characters so I didn't mind the change. It's not at all faithful, but I can shrug it off. I've watched enough adaptations over the years. I do think in some odd way, it had some of the spirit of the books which counts for something.

The BBC has an adaptation called The Musketeers. It's between S2 and S3 at the moment. It's even more silly and unfaithful than Iron Mask, but decent cast and chemistry with the boys.

Fair enough. :) The production values were good. I don't mind adaptations either. I just especially didn't like the crazy-unfaithfulness of that adaptation and John Malkovich's portrayal of Athos. I loved that book as a capstone to the series and the guys' lives, so I was really let down. Gabriel Byrne did make a wonderful older D'Artagnan, though. His portrayal, despite the changes, was the only part I liked about the movie. Of course, as with all things, YMMV. :)

• Love 1

Well hello there, Poldark!  Is anyone watching this show? The first episode didn't grab me but then I continued and now I'm hooked!  Thoughts?

Also, yesterday was Ron Moore's birthday and Terry posted a few pics of him on Twittter opening his presents and also cooking his favorite meal, I think they are adorable!  They are kind of like the real life Jamie and Claire.

• Love 1

Well hello there, Poldark!  Is anyone watching this show? The first episode didn't grab me but then I continued and now I'm hooked!  Thoughts?

I had the same reaction to Poldark. I kept comparing that first episode to Outlander and found it lacking, especially in cinematography and production values. Glad I stuck with it too, because now I'm hooked and am willing to just take it on it's own merits. Love the character of Demelza and can't wait to see how she and Ross meld as a couple. I expect it will be a pleasant way to pass the summer. (Also, Ross can scythe my field anytime he wants to, so long as he's shirtless!)

• Love 1

I too am watching POLDARK. Unfortunately?? My viewing of the show is tainted by having viewed both the original POLDARK and Outlander.

My biggest disappointment is the casting. I have been encouraged to expect better by Outlander.

Typing on a Kindle is frustrating.

(Also, Ross can scythe my field anytime he wants to, so long as he's shirtless!)

Agreed, Chocolatetruffle, never thought anyone could give Jamie a run for his money in the shirtless department but Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ, scything a field never looked so hot! 

• Love 1

I am also watching Poldark.  I'm not enjoying it 1/10th as much as I love Outlander but hey, any oasis in a Droughtlander.  The wedding that ended last night's episode seemed abrupt to me.  I know all adaptations have to leave a lot of the book out but this production just feels really rushed.  I find I don't much like . . . anyone.  I'm just watching to see what happens.

The BBC has an adaptation called The Musketeers. It's between S2 and S3 at the moment. It's even more silly and unfaithful than Iron Mask, but decent cast and chemistry with the boys.

That's what I'm talking about. We started watching after a friend said I reminder her of the actress playing Constance. It filled the droughtlander niche but makes my husband joke what is it with me and characters who cheat on their husbands. 

I am also watching Poldark.  I'm not enjoying it 1/10th as much as I love Outlander but hey, any oasis in a Droughtlander.  The wedding that ended last night's episode seemed abrupt to me.  I know all adaptations have to leave a lot of the book out but this production just feels really rushed.  I find I don't much like . . . anyone.  I'm just watching to see what happens.

I am watching this also. I do not like it anywhere near as much as Outlander and other shows but I'm into it. The lead actor carries this entire show, if he wasn't as watchable as he is(not just physical appearance) this would be a dud. The music is horrible, it never stops! It at times feels like you are watching a parody of a soap opera. Not to mention all the horse riding along the cliffs!

The scenery is gorgeous though. I like that it is fast paced. My husband and I laugh that everything happens so fast that one scene is still playing when they start the next one. 

• Love 2
The lead actor carries this entire show,

I think that's the choice of the producer, as it definitely doesn't have to be such a narrow focus! (And now back to your regularly scheduled haggis.;-)

(edited)

Thanks, Athena!  I will take my discussion over to that thread.

Just wanted to say to WatchrTina in this thread:

I am also watching Poldark.  I'm not enjoying it 1/10th as much as I love Outlander but hey, any oasis in a Droughtlander.  The wedding that ended last night's episode seemed abrupt to me.  I know all adaptations have to leave a lot of the book out but this production just feels really rushed.  I find I don't much like . . . anyone.  I'm just watching to see what happens.

I totally agree with you. The first episode didn't do anything for me and it actually made me miss Outlander even more.  I didn't care for the lead actor/actress's, but for some reason the story was sort of interesting to me and honestly there was nothing else on TV as I prefer PBS/BBC shows.  But then this week's episode really grabbed me and I have found the lead actor really grew on me and now I find myself really looking forward to each episode.

There are some other points I want to make but I will take them to the Poldark thread. 

Edited by Summer
(edited)

I did post to the Poldark thread but I find I can't even work up enough enthusiasm to read it.  It just makes me miss Outlander that much more -- I was so engaged in this show from the very beginning.  I'm actually feeling quite blue right now because the book I'm reading for my book group is not engaging me at all (and life is just to short to read dull books) and there is nothing on TV that has me very excited.  Is anyone reading something they just LOVE?  Is anyone watching something that is appointment television for them?  I got through the last Droughtlander by reading Neal Stephenson's book "Cryptonomicon" and then its prequel trilogy, "The Baroque Cycle" (that's about 4000 pages, all in.)  It was fabulous.  I'm so sorry it's over.  On the other hand, last month I FINALLY unpacked the 12 cartons of "Great Books" that I inherited from my father.  It includes the whole series of VERY BIG BOOKS  by James Michner, including "Texas", "Hawaii" and "Space".  In honor of having moved to Texas recently, perhaps I will read that next.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I'm watching Hannibal, though I don't like this season as much as the previous ones. The Americans: always good. 

After y'all talked about Poldark I gave it a shot and now I think I want to read those books. They seem properly soap-y. 

(edited)

WatchrTina, I just finished The Alienist by Caleb Carr - my 3rd time reading it after first reading in the mid 90's. It's a murder mystery/suspense story that takes place in NYC in 1896 and features a lively portrayal of Theodore Roosevelt when he was head of the NYC police dept. It's a page-turner and is going to be made into a TV series by TNT.

Back in the '80's I went through a Michener period during which I read Tales of the South Pacific, Hawaii, Centennial, Texas and I think Sayonara before I burned out. His books will definitely keep you busy and should make the summer (if not the year) fly by.

For guilty SciFi TV pleasures, Falling Skies is back.

Edited by chocolatetruffle
  • Love 1

WatchrTina, if you haven't yet, you might try and find a copy of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South to watch. I don't think I know anyone who didn't enjoy it. It's a very short miniseries of approximately four hours.

http://www.amazon.com/North-South-BBC-Daniela-Denby-ashe/dp/B000AYEL6U/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436392653&sr=1-2&keywords=north+and+south

I've read the following books which I enjoyed:

Mariana by Susanna Kearsley

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Monk Downstairs by Tim Farrington

eleanor and park by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple

Grace Grows by Shelle Sumners

For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Better leave at that.... ;-)

• Love 1

This may be too obvious and everyone here has probably seen them, but what about the Highlander films and TV show to pass the off-season? One can never see the first movie enough times, and the TV show is fun even without a Chris Lambert or Sean Connery. Adrian Paul is always pretty to look at.

By the way, I just looked up to see how many films there were in the series (5) and see there is a new one in production. There are rumored actors cast for The Kurgan and Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez. I wonder if it is a remake of the original, a prequel, or different storyline with younger actors? It's hard to imagine anyone else playing those roles, but it will be interesting to see where it goes.

• Love 1

Hmmm. That IS a thought.  I own the original Highlander movie AND the entire TV series on DVD.  That could be a way to get through Droughtlander.  I just wish I could figure a way to watch while on the treadmill -- I sit too much.  It wouldn't be fair to tie up the two treadmills in my condo building that way but my health club has tons of treadmills and I do have a portable DVD player.  I may have to think this through.  I actually got hooked on Highlander years ago when one of my friends told me she only allowed herself to watch it while walking on the treadmill.  The quality of the episodes is pretty uneven but some of them are great and Adrian Paul . . . he is easy on the eyes.

In other news . . . the book I'm reading for book group is growing on me.  Especially since it just jumped forward in time to 1947 England -- Claire & Frank's time!

• Love 1

I live by Grandfather Mountain and there are tartans everywhere this weekend. Nothing like going to the grocery store and waiting in line with a bunch of kilted men. :-)

• Love 4