Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chewing The Haggis

Athena
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Joining in for this discussion.  I am so looking forward to Sam Heugan as Jamie.  These books - I have no words really. Ive read them all through in hardcover a few times, been through the audio books twice in anticipation for Written in my Own Heart's Blood due out in June.

Cannot wait for this show!!!

• Love 2

I am really looking forward to this show. I love the books. I don't have Starz currently, but the day before the first episode airs, I'll add it to my Directv lineup. The fact I'm willing to pay for the channel says how much I want to see it.

I'm very curious to see how the mental image I have of the characters compare to what we'll see in the show.

Anyone know when the season actually starts?

We got Starz for Black Sails (for my husband), and we'll go ahead and keep it for Outlander. I would have gotten it just for Outlander, but Black Sails got my husband on the bandwagon for the extra bucks.

I wonder how closely they'll follow the books. Does anyone know how many episodes they're doing?

(edited)

Sixteen episodes for the first season. They have been filming since October so it is a long shoot. The books get even denser as the series goes on so it'll be interesting to see what they cut and add for TV. They are adding some WWII scenes to establish the relationship between Claire and Frank.

Edited by Athena

I read the firsts two books. First one was...okay. Second one was torture to read and I only got through a third of the third one before giving up. That said, I'm going to watch--this way I won't be gnashing my teeth over what was left out of the books!

• Love 1

I am looking forward to this as well. I'll be happy to have a face of past boyfriend replaced by Sean Heugan's. 

Diana and Starz played a particularly bad April Fool joke today. Do I share it? So wrong.

Please do share!  Not sure how I missed that since I have been rabidly following info on FB...

Just looked up the actor playing Jamie. Too pretty boy for me. Don't see Jamie. Might not watch now.

I think that will be a problem with this series. So many people have such strong feelings for these books and characters.

You can't make everyone happy. I think a lot of fans are glad that this is even happening since there was talk for decades about a film. They are filming in Scotland and Gabaldon is also quite involved which helps.

I think it's more of an issue if they can't draw in non book viewers. As popular as the books have been, the show needs ratings from "casual" viewers. Starz is the right home for the show as it has done other historical dramas such as Black Sails and Spartacus.

• Love 1

And I would fall into the casual viewer. Though I read the first two books, I barely remember them; just bits and pieces.  That said, a whole SLEW of my friends, that I met through our love of another author, are ecstatic over the casting, and the making of this series. A lot live in Europe and they're trying to get Starz available to them. They love, and I mean LOVE the casting for Jaime, and these are die-hard Outlander fans.

• Love 2

I'm really surprised that the casting for Jamie and Claire has gone over as well as it has, as the fanbase can be very...passionate. There's been talk of making an Outlander movie for years, with names thrown out like Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl, so that it's relative unknowns and 16 episodes for one book, seems like a win already.

I've only read the first book and I like it fine, I haven't got around to reading the others yet because of mixed reviews. The show definitely looks interesting enough though so I'll probably check it out whether or not I've read book 2 by that time, I guess I'll be a casual viewer.

Since this show is going to get compared to it anyway despite being very different, I will say that before it came out a lot of book fans were wondering how GOT would translate for non book readers since they're so long and sprawling and that hasn't been a problem. I think Outlander has enough of a hook to get people interested with the right promos, it just depends whether the show can keep them afterwards.

• Love 1

Hmmm....I've always pictured Kate Winslet as Claire and Liam Neeson (of about twenty years ago!) as Jamie.  It will be interesting to see how they do it.  Jamie is 22 at the beginning and Claire is 27,  and about the third (I think) book, there's that twenty year jump.   Hope it stays on the air long enough!

So I'll be falling into the casual viewer's category most likely. I have this on audiobook from Audible and I haven't gotten very far into it. I'm kind of waiting to get a premiere date before I delve further into it I think. But the audiobook is over 20 hours long which begs the question of how far into the book are we going to get in 16 episodes?

Anyway I'm looking forward to it at some point this summer. I hope we get a premiere date soon.

(edited)

I'm debating about whether to watch this or not.  I discovered her books about a decade ago and read the first five practically back to back (this was before number 6 came out).  I can't help myself if I like an author I'll inhale their backlist like Lay's potato chips.  But after reading all five I realized a couple of things - one, never read +/-6,000 pages from one writer that quickly ever again and two, I kind of hated Claire.  While I was reading books 4 and 5 I managed to get my sister to read the first two books and we both agreed, Claire sucks. 

So when I heard about this project I got excited because I'm remembering how enthralled I was with the epic-ness of the books (Gabaldon) writes good stories, on the other hand, I really dislike one of the main characters (and her offspring).

I'm thinking I'll have to wait on viewer reports before I commit myself to this show.

Edited by Your Grace

I don't know if there is much interest since the book one thread is a bit dry now, but if you guys want, we can have a spoiler full book thread which would let us air out some of the issues we have with the books. I don't mind the books, but I think the quality did dip after awhile. What do you think?

Does anyone know if this is going to be on iTunes? I don't even have cable, let alone Starz, so I usually use Hulu and then iTunes for shows I know I'll watch more than once. I see some other Starz shows on iTunes, so I assume, but...you know how that goes.

I just started reading this series last month, but I'm on the fourth book now. I can't say they're the best thing I've ever read, quality-wise, but they're damned addictive.

Just a gentle reminder that this is the Small talk/Meet Market thread which is not for show discussion. I moved a couple of book posts to the book thread and we can create additional threads as well.

But I can say I did get my husband to wear a kilt once. 

My husband occasionally has what he calls "no-pants weekends," which doesn't mean he wanders around in his underwear (or less) all weekend. He just wears a kilt everywhere.

But he's a piper and has several kilts, including one I made (and I am not a seamstress).

• Love 1

One of the things I'm loving about this show is how much it reminds me of Scotland, and how I seriously need to go back. I was there in August 2001, when it was unseasonably hot, just like Ireland. Aside from two days of rain, the weather was glorious. I remain bitter that the day I visited Culloden, the sun was shining brightly and nary a soul could I feel while at the bog and huts and graves.

But I did meet a bonafide Highlander, in full regalia...I'll hunt down my pictures and post them here, if it's okay? It was on the bridge and the loch behind us.  Also met a guy dressed as William Wallace when I was at Edinburgh. And just to show how...challenging it was to follow the directions given to me when I asked how to get to a friend's home, who lived in Peebles...I was at Edinburgh, it was raining, it was dark, and I'd just landed...

Pub patron and bartender: "Aye, ye goo straaaaehgt up tae roaaad, and make a reyt at thae roondaboot..."

Me: I go STRAIGHT up the ROAD...and make a RIGHT at the ROUND ABOUT...?

Scots: "Aye...a reyt at thae roondaboot, drrrive aboot 7 kilometers, and ye'll see thae seegn faor Peebles..."

Me: "Right. at the Round ABOUT...7 miles, I mean kilometers, and I'll see a SIGN for Peebles and take that exit?"

Scots: "Aye!"

Well, I got there in one piece. Don't ask me how!

• Love 2

One of the things I'm loving about this show is how much it reminds me of Scotland, and how I seriously need to go back. I was there in August 2001, when it was unseasonably hot, just like Ireland. Aside from two days of rain, the weather was glorious. I remain bitter that the day I visited Culloden, the sun was shining brightly and nary a soul could I feel while at the bog and huts and graves.

Sure, share photos! I may have to dig up mine. I was there in late August or early September four years ago. The weather was not as glorious. It was sunny in bits and not too rainy so I can't complain. I was in the Highlands and Skye as well. I also made it to Culloden but it was cloudy. 

One of my best friends from high school lives in Edinburgh now so I can regular weather reports mostly in the mildness of things there. 

Also, hilarious how you recreated the conversation.

Awesome! Thanks @Athena !

And well, y'all wouldn't have been able to visualize or "hear" how...challenging it 'twas communicating with the locals! And just like Ireland, nary a rude person will you meet in Scotland!  I only have a few I'll post. With the William Wallace wannabe, the actual Highlander, and maybe one or two more.  But I need to digitize them first!

ETA: I will say that all pictures and images of that bastard, the Duke of Cumberland, who set Culloden in motion, made him look like an overweight, grotesque version of the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Hello All ... new here.  I was recommended to watch this show based on my love for anything with UK, history and time travel themes. 

I have never read the books, in fact, this is my introduction to this story just by watching the first episode.  I don't want to be spoiled, so I am going to assume that if I click onto the episode one topic, I wont be?

I haven't even read this thread yet, so tell me it's safe and I will.  ::giggle::

• Love 2

I have never read the books, in fact, this is my introduction to this story just by watching the first episode.  I don't want to be spoiled, so I am going to assume that if I click onto the episode one topic, I wont be?

Welcome! Yes, it should be safe. I'm trying to make sure the episode topics are spoiler free from the books. 

• Love 1

So I just got home from 3 days in Aspen and it was very easy for me to imagine the Rocky Mountains as the Scottish Highlands.  I took a nature walk at the foot of Maroon Bells (twin 14,000-foot peaks), one of the most scenic spots in all of Colorado, and the guide pointed out all the medicinal plants growing in the meadow.  I saw gold yarrow, cinquefoil, green gentian, wild strawberries and nettles.  I was having a Outlander-themed literary nerdgasm the whole time.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

WatchrTina, you mentioned your tartan avatar yesterday in another thread, and yes, I'd noticed it, because after reading the books I got curious about one of my family lines, (spoiler tagging for character names that haven't been revealed on the show yet)

which has the surname Lovett and had been in the US for centuries, like from before it was the US. I looked it up on a geneology website and they said, sure enough, the name is a derivitive of Lovat from clan Fraser. Hah! So I guess you're "wearing" my tartan here.

• Love 3

Hey Petunia846, that's great.  What little I know about my own family tree indicates that I am much more closely related to Claire's character. My maternal Grandmother's last name is French and my own last name comes from merry olde England.  So when I Jamie purrs the word Sassenach, I can pretend he's talking to me.

• Love 1

Heee. Yeah, my biggest percentage would be Mexican, which we can trace back originally to Spain, but before the time of these books. Then other than that, the Scottish and French/Dutch.

I just heard someone on a podcast mispronounce sassenach and it made me cringe.

• Love 1

I also saw that WIlliam Wallace doppelganger when I was in Edinburgh 2 years ago.  It looks like he donates his photo donations to a charity.  He can also be seen on google maps street view. https://www.google.com/maps/@55.948863,-3.19606,3a,75y,353.25h,75.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBwoZS6jmqt5Bs-AjNJTicw!2e0  Why yes, I do randomly wander the world of google maps, dropping myself onto various locations.  Cheaper than airfare and for some places, safer.

Liked GHScorpiosRule's description of the convo with a Scots local.  I had a slightly tipsy young guy plop down next to me on a park bench on Grassmarket below the castle and start talking to me with such a strong Scots accent I never did make out everything he was trying to say to me.  I got the bit about what a nice day it was (the sun had finally come out and was casting a beautiful sunset glow on Edinburgh Castle) but the part having to do with the bicycle cab guy I never did understand.  His mates came by and gathered him up to continue their pub crawl.  We had a laugh, initiated by me, that he was wasting his time talking to old women when there were so many pubs waiting to be visited that Saturday evening.

Driving around the highlands was a great adventure.  The day I visited Culloden was cold, windy and rainy.  I tried to brave it and walk on the battlefield but soon returned the radio tourguide equipment to the desk and told the docent "I would make a very poor Highlander."  LOL

My Scots branches are all either Central or Borders.  One branch goes back earlier than 1800 in Dunfermline, another goes back at least that far in Hawick.  All coal miners or textiles, no highlanders that I can find.  One family name is McNab, traced back to Prestonpans/Tranent to around 1820 or so.  We haven't traced them to the McNab family seat around the Trossachs (yet.)  

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 3

Both times I visited Culloden it was grey, misty and windy. Very atmospheric. I loved walking the battlefield.

I've also visited 3 different henges in Scotland, including the magnificent Callanish standing stones on the isle of Lewis. Tried to go "through" the stones each time, with no luck whatsoever. LOL

• Love 3

Hi everyone! Another fan here who hasn't read the books, however, as soon as I heard Starz was airing this I scoured through and read/watched everything I found about the show and info about the books. Since I am a product of Scottish ancestry this show has spoken to me on so many levels. Loving that it is passing the Bechdel test on all fronts. Looking forward to talking about the show with all of you fine folks.

• Love 1

New poster here, at the urging of my good IRL buddy onthebrink03.  She's now watching the series because I wouldn't stop talking about the production, since I've been a fan of the books from way back.  Not as far as 1991, but at least the late 90s.

Scotland is also on my travel bucket list, so I love hearing about travel stories to the highlands.

And I guess you can tell that I'm also a huge Tolkien fan...

• Love 2

We just came back from our twentieth anniversary trip to Iceland, but our tenth anniversary trip was to Scotland, so it's very cool to see familiar sights.  We spent time touring Doune Castle so when we were watching I was like, "I've been there."  It was funny to see it made to look overgrown and ruined, because it's not like that at all.  I'm looking forward to seeing the sets that they've based off the interiors of the Castle.

On our trip we visited Edinburgh, Stirling, Doune, Dunblane, drove west through Glen Coe, Fort William and visited the Glenfinnan monument, crossed over to Skye at Mallaig, toured much of Skye for a couple of days, then crossed back to see Eilean Donon Castle and Urquhart on our way to Inverness.  We did do a quick two day trip to the Orkney mainland, which was really cool.  They've unearthed even more archeological ruins there since we visited.  Then back to Inverness to see Fort George before heading back to Edinburgh with another castle visit along the way.  Very cool trip.  I'd love to go back at some point.

• Love 3

Sosmitten, can I assume you're the same Sosmitten that I knew from TWoP's Gilmore Girls forums? If so, it's good to see you around these parts! (If not, it's nice to meet you...) I'm the same Petunia846, by the way.