Type keyword(s) to search

Gotham in the Media

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 11/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, Trini said:

The two 'extra' episodes are probably not a surprise to the crew, etc. It's only being announced publicly now.

They knew before the general public, but I think they got the news relatively recently. A few weeks ago Camren Bicondova said they had received “good news” on set that day, that she couldn’t say what it was but then commented something like “Looks like we’ll be shooting for a while.” The producers probably knew it was a possibility, but it wasn’t confirmed until recently.

They are writing/shooting new material, and it’s going to me smooshed into the series at different points. They are shooting episode 10 now, which is the flash-forward and would have been the finale. But the episode Ben McKenzie is writing (one of the new ones ordered) will air as episode 9. Don’t know if the other new episode will serve as the finale or will also be wedged into the season somewhere. 

• Love 1

Season 5 premiere screening and panel with the cast at The Paley Center in New York:

Hyperrealism aside, FOX’s Gotham presents a gritty city on the edge of chaos—a “dark, stricken place where even the shadows seem to be alive,” as Newsday put it—while simultaneously celebrating not only heroes themselves, like GCPD detective Jim Gordon, but humanity’s superheroic commitment to compassion and morality under even the most menacing circumstances. The ingeniously crafted origin series returns for its fifth and final season on Thursday, January 3, at 8:00 pm (7:00 pm Central), with hints of the arrival of iconic characters both good (Batman) and bad (Bane). Can’t wait, right? Neither can we, which is why the Paley Center is presenting this preview screening of the season-five premiere, followed by a conversation with the cast and creative team.

https://www.paleycenter.org/2018-gotham

On 30/10/2018 at 8:48 AM, Amerilla said:

So that will get them to 100 episodes, right?

Two more gets them right to 100. I wonder if we'll get 12 straight weeks or if there will be a break somewhere. I'd imagine FOX would want the finale to air during a sweeps month (either February or May).

Congrats on 100 episodes. :) I can't wait.

Now how about a Gotham movie? "The First Fight", or something like that. Keep the cast as is or add an A-lister to help sell it...and then we can really have David Mazouz's coming out party.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, Danielg342 said:

Two more gets them right to 100. I wonder if we'll get 12 straight weeks or if there will be a break somewhere. I'd imagine FOX would want the finale to air during a sweeps month (either February or May).

I recall reading somewhere that 100 episodes is the magic number for a show to go into syndication. I don't know if that applies anymore.

3 hours ago, Gobi said:

I recall reading somewhere that 100 episodes is the magic number for a show to go into syndication. I don't know if that applies anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_episodes

This is what I understand- 100 episodes used to be the benchmark for syndication, but in more recent years, that requirement has been lowered to 88, because, I'm guessing, 88 episodes is easier to hit (88 episodes is four standard broadcast seasons of 22 episodes each, whereas the 100th episode would not come until midway through the fifth season). This is why (in most cases) a series that has a third season always gets a fourth, since the show is close enough to syndication that the network figures they might as well give it to them (and probably because the profits they can get from selling the show to syndication would make up for any losses the network might incur from lower ratings in a fourth season).

100, I think, is still the benchmark for a show to consider itself a "hit". The Criminal Minds team didn't think they made it until they hit their 100th episode. Even though it seems like "100" is just an arbitrary benchmark, it still has meaning so I'm guessing that's why FOX commissioned enough of a fifth season to get Gotham to 100. Maybe Warner Brothers cut them a deal too, I don't know.

It's why I wasn't surprised Gotham got a fourth season after some iffy ratings in the third season, since it was too close to syndication for FOX to cut them off. It's also why I thought we'd get at least an abbreviated fifth season since this show is such a marquee show and had enough of a fervent fanbase that it required a proper finish.

• Love 2

Gotham Boss Talks Series Finale's Batman Reveal, Bruce/Selina Reunion... and a Catwoman Spinoff?
By Matt Webb Mitovich / April 25 2019, 5:59 PM PDT
https://tvline.com/2019/04/25/gotham-recap-season-5-series-finale-bruce-becomes-batman/ 

Gotham showrunner John Stephens is currently out of the country, but he obliged TVLine by answering via email a few Qs about the series’ very final hour.

TVLINE | Do you have a personal favorite moment from the series finale, Batman reveal excepted?
It’s hard to say. I really like the scene between Selina and Bruce on the rooftop. To me it has a great feeling of fated-ness, where I know these two people still care about each other but that Bruce’s mission is going to keep them apart. I also really like the scene in Ace Chemicals with Jim, J and the Bat. It feels like, no surprise, the most Batman-y moment we’ve done.

TVLINE | Was there any thought/attempt to have adult Bruce actually appear in that nonetheless beautiful scene with Selina?
No. We wanted to maintain the sense of mystery about him, both as Bruce and Batman, until the very end of the episode. The story was predicated upon that mystery, that none of the characters would actually see him till the very end, so whether it was Bruce or Batman, we wanted to keep him hidden.

TVLINE | Talk about what you wanted from your design for J(eremiah).
A whole team of people went into that — our amazing wardrobe designers, our hair and make up departments, and Cameron Monaghan. That said, our intention was to evolve the character one step further from what we’d seen with Jeremiah and Jerome in their various iterations. There was a sense of greater performance, but also we wanted to go for something that touched even more on the horror inherent in the character. Which I think really comes out.

TVLINE | Why was Oswald “thicker in the middle”?
You know, Matt, when you get older your metabolism slows down. Also, there’re a lot of carbs in prison.

TVLINE | Was there a possible Catwoman spinoff lightly planted here…? One starring Lili Simmons and maybe set in the years just before Bruce returns?
I don’t know that it’s planted. I’d say… hopeful?

TVLINE | Any Easter eggs that you took great pleasure in, which we might have missed?
To tell that would be undoing the whole concept of Easter eggs, now wouldn’t it!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

David is starting college in the fall (he's going to Stanford). Donal was offered a role in Star Wars but couldn't take it because of Gotham (he's a friend of JJ Abrams). Robin is currently unemployed.

Also, the panelists were all open to bringing their characters into the Arrowverse, so long as it was consistent with Gotham's "aesthetic" and characters.

GOTHAM Cast Panel – FanFest New Jersey 2019
Published on Jun 30, 2019, by Fandom Spotlite

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Um, Barbara, you murdered your daughter's grandparents...

Gotham's Barbara Coldly Questions Baby Daddy Jim's Fitness as a Father in Deleted Final Season Scene [VIDEO]
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 8 2019,
https://tvline.com/2019/07/08/gotham-deleted-final-season-5-scene-barbara-jim/ 

A trip down memory lane take a sharp and brutal turn in this exclusive deleted scene from Gotham‘s fifth and final season.

In the above clip from Season 5, Episode 8, Barbara Kean (played by Erin Richards) gives Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie) the answer to a question he had asked earlier in the hour, when trying to tell his ex apart from “shapeshifter” Jane Doe — quizzing the ladies on where they first met.

That warm-ish and semi-fuzzy moment leads to talk of Barbara’s fate, once reunification happens with Gotham and the mainland. Will Jim have his baby momma’s back?

Jim then reiterates his resolve to be a part of Batgirl-to-be’s life. But is that necessarily music to Babs’ ears? Press play above to hear her counterargument against his sort of paternal guidance.

This deleted scene is one of several featured on Gotham: The Complete Fifth and Final Season, available Tuesday, July 9 on Blu-ray and DVD. Other extra supplementing the final season’s 12 episodes are the featurettes Best Moments at NY Comic Con 2018 and Modern Mythology, in which the producers and cast explore the final chapter of Gotham as it pushed Bruce Wayne to finally accept his destiny, the mantle of The Dark Knight.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Dragon Con 2019: Gotham Panel, Original Audition Scene
Published on Sep 2, 2019, by Chie

Robin Lord Taylor and David Mazouz talk about their original audition scenes at Dragon Con 2019, September 1.

And here's video of the entire panel session...
Gotham Cast: Becoming DragonCon 2019
Published on Sep 2, 2019, by gmanlewis

Edited by tv echo

The schedule for the second day of DC FanDome includes several Gotham behind-the-scenes features...

DC FANDOME: EXPLORE THE MULTIVERSE, Saturday, September 12 (InsiderVerse)

All of these panels can be viewed on demand for 24 hours, from 1:00pm ET on Sat., Sep. 12, to 1:00pm ET on Sun., Sep. 13:

Gotham Invented: Building Our Gotham
Part one of this three-part, fascinating short documentary takes you behind-the-scenes of the hit television series Gotham, exploring how new mythologies led to the emergence of the world’s greatest detective. 20 min On Demand

Gotham Invented: Fractured Villains of Gotham
Part two of this short documentary continues to explore the new mythologies behind the world’s greatest detective and the villains that will oppose him, as viewers go behind the scenes of the hit television series Gotham. 15 min On Demand

Gotham by Noir Light: The Cinematography of Crime Fiction
This short documentary spends time with one of the cinematographers of the hit TV series Gotham as he plans and executes a strategy for creating a gritty, noir-like world for each frame in the series. 15 min On Demand

Gotham – Pilot EPK
A truly exclusive opportunity as an insider to see the short sizzle reel created behind the scenes of the Gotham pilot episode. 2 min On Demand

Gotham – The Dark Within the Dark: The Court of Owls
The Court of Owls, masterminds controlling Gotham City, are soon discovered to be playing second fiddle to a more sinister force. The darkness is revealed in this documentary from the hit television series Gotham. 15 min On Demand

Gotham – Villains: Modes of Persuasion
Dive into the needs, wants, and desires that fuel the nefarious deeds perpetrated by Gotham’s fan-favorite DC Super-Villains. 40 min On Demand

Gotham: A Modern Mythology
The storytellers behind the hit television series Gotham discuss the relationships between the friends and foes that motivate Bruce Wayne to become the Dark Knight, and the city that defines him. 20 min On Demand

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

GOTHAM International Panel - Wizard World Virtual Experiences 2020
Fandom Spotlite    Dec 20, 2020

Gotham actors David Mazouz, Erin Richards, Robin Lord Taylor and Sean Pertwee appeared in this special international virtual panel with Japanese translations through Wizard World Virtual Experiences 2020 to talk about this incredible show, their careers and to answer fan questions.
Panel moderated by Tony Kim.

Edited by tv echo