Type keyword(s) to search

Hindsight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

She reminds me a bit of Tori Amos.

I agree, she kind of does.  Just some general comments, I think they did a great job nailing the feel of the time period.  It makes me sad that they never got one quite right with the 80's, though the short-lived CW show Do Over came pretty close.

I think they are at least going to touch on Becca's future knowledge to earn money, since she did just quit her job.  I'm really enjoying the show so far, and man, Laura Ramsey sure is easy on the eyes!

Here's my WAG based on only 2 episodes and no spoiler info.  Becca came back in time to "discover" the passion for Andy and realize in the future of 2015, that marrying him is not a mistake.

• Love 1

I agree, she kind of does.  Just some general comments, I think they did a great job nailing the feel of the time period.  It makes me sad that they never got one quite right with the 80's, though the short-lived CW show Do Over came pretty close.

I think they are at least going to touch on Becca's future knowledge to earn money, since she did just quit her job.  I'm really enjoying the show so far, and man, Laura Ramsey sure is easy on the eyes!

Here's my WAG based on only 2 episodes and no spoiler info.  Becca came back in time to "discover" the passion for Andy and realize in the future of 2015, that marrying him is not a mistake.

Laura Ramsey is a Babe! This male definitely liked seeing her in her underwear three times in the first two eps LOL Becca is also likeable and I was thinking the same thing that she will fall deeper in love with him to go back to the present and Marry him

• Love 1

I like time travel stories, so I'll give this a try, but I absolutely did not buy this actress as mid-40s. I was confused at first, when I saw a countdown from 2005 to 1995. That made sense, I thought, since the character appeared in her mid-30s.

In my opinion, Kathleen Turner was much too old to be believable as a teenager in "Peggy Sue Got Married."

Laura Ramsey is a Babe! This male definitely liked seeing her in her underwear three times in the first two eps LOL Becca is also likeable and I was thinking the same thing that she will fall deeper in love with him to go back to the present and Marry him

Agreed on the babe part, and I think this show is in the vein of other stories of this type like Family Man or Mr. Destiny, where the trip is meant to be a glimpse of another life but ultimately the main character has to return to their original life with a lesson learned.  Of course we could be wrong and they could be going for something more subversive...

• Love 2

I think they're being vague about the current year, but they said that Becca is supposed to be around 40, which puts "current time" somewhere around the first half of the 2010's. I estimated Becca's birth as being around September 1972, being that Becca is said to be 23 in October 1995. If it's our time, she should be 42.

I like the touch that her name is Rebecca, which was a very popular name in the 1970's. Not Amy or Heather level, but still right for the time period. I'm glad they didn't name her Violet or Sophia or something currently trendy now.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

If you want to see a period nailed, watch Being Erica, which absolutely nails the 1990's in the episodes where Erica travels to them. Not only do they nail it, but they get the nuances of the different periods of it absolutely right- the tail-end 80's part of the 90's, the mid-90's, and the late 90's.

I like how the show is slowly revealing information that Becca wasn't privy to, like Sean making her take back the frame without letting her know there was a picture in there.

The ratings are apparently really, really bad, which is sad, but hell, I'll enjoy the hell out of the 10 episodes we do get.

• Love 3

It really frustrates me that this show seems to be getting better week after week, yet its deader than a door-nail. Oh, well. Let's hope they at least air all ten episodes.

I loved that Becca described the plot of the Notebook to Lolly. I also loved the Enron joke, as well as Lolly going off on Becca about how she's picking and choosing what to change about the post.

• Love 2

I loved that Becca described the plot of the Notebook to Lolly. I also loved the Enron joke, as well as Lolly going off on Becca about how she's picking and choosing what to change about the post.

Agreed.  I wonder how long their friendship ending secret will remain that way.  Season finale maybe?

I'm also very intrigued because Lolly suggested that maybe Phoebe and her future husband were destined to be together so it would all work out.  Then they immediately met.  Like the future is self-correcting despite Becca's actions.  Or maybe Phoebe just had a lot in common with her man and that's why they met again.  Oh, the possibilities. 

The soundtrack always cracks me up. The music coordinator is doing a great job.

I like Lolly calling Becca on picking and choosing what events she'll influence. I think the thing with her cousin was to show Becca that even the smallest changes can have a major future impact, and the cousin meeting up with her maybe-future husband was to show that some things are meant to be. Not necessarily fate per se, but that one missed opportunity doesn't mean all is lost.

• Love 3

I just found this show and I'm hooked. I like the sort of casual sense of time travel where Becca is still floundering to figure it out and focused on herself instead of trying to change the world. That feels weirdly realistic. And I love the portrayal of female friendship in all forms, from frenemy to bestie. 

Also we better find out the deal between her and future Lolly before it gets cancelled because I just can't stand teases like that. 

Oh God, show about 90's nostalgia for the 80's (which is such 2005 nostalgic misremembering because I'm fairly sure 90's nostalgia was 70's but, ok. )  Sort of fun and definitely my thing.  I do wish Becca would stop saying i-phone so that I don't have to get all 90's about it, smart-phone please.

MOST IMPORTANT, this episode features becca with fatter lips and shinier skin! But fails to pluck the shit out of her eye brows, which would have aged her but would have been more effective period choice (for moi). also, I remember tans and yellow teeth. sorry, stickler. But this is why this show is REALLY fun.

1995 - Was that marilyn manson and foo fighters or am I too early with that? were we still tying plaid shirts around waist and puffy sleeves that aren't on baby doll dress?

If you want to see a period nailed, watch Being Erica, which absolutely nails the 1990's in the episodes where Erica travels to them. Not only do they nail it, but they get the nuances of the different periods of it absolutely right- the tail-end 80's part of the 90's, the mid-90's, and the late 90's.

right? 90's were totally a 3 act play in which 90's never actually take place: 80's hangover, nirvana-middle-blackout, and then whatever was left of BH 90210 and (Tori spelling with red hair dancing to spice girls jewel poems).   

Judgy coming -- even though Becca knows she and Andy end up together in the future, that doesn't make it right for her to be hitting on him when he's someone else's boyfriend in the present. Stop it!

Hopefully she'll also realize she needs to lay off Lolly and her brother.

I'm interested to see how the new character of the actress/waitress will fit in.

• Love 1

I just thought "wait a minute, Tara can't be 40 yet, I'm sure she's only a couple of years older than me." Then I remembered I'm 38.

The soundtrack talk makes me want to give this a look. I've only just discovered Being Erica (I know, I'm late to the party there), and the soundtrack on that is great, for the same reason.

• Love 3

It really frustrates me that this show seems to be getting better week after week, yet its deader than a door-nail. Oh, well. Let's hope they at least air all ten episodes.

Well what are ratings for a show on VH-1 supposed to be like?  Or is it doing bad even for a VH-1 show?  Guess people just expect the some old trashy reality fare from VH-1?  Why is it shows like this never seem to find an audience?

The only problem with the Enron joke is that 1995 is before the hype about Enron really began.  They were still mostly a sleepy pipeline company at that time(I actually did work at Enron).  Their change of company direction led by Jeff Skilling happens a couple years later.

Wow, I have to say I'm still loving this show.  Becca and Lolly's relationship is what really makes it go.  I can sit there and listen to them talk the whole show.  The rest of the cast and storylines are okay.

Another quibble that isn't really human nature.  Very little talk about future events.  Now, I realize that would be boring for the audience to listen to Becca only talk about future events.  But, come on.  If one of your friends told they were from the future, wouldn't you just have to have a 4 hour conversation about that.   I realize this is to keep it fresh so every ep, Becca lets something slip, kind of the Sleepy Hollow did.

One last thing, it was bugging that Lolly looked like someone else and I figured it out.  Her face looks like a young Jennifer Love Hewitt.

I think both her and Becca are very cute, but they dress down Lolly with those funky clothes.

I've just now watched the first three episodes, and am really liking it. However, while I normally like a mystery, I was already getting annoyed that we don't know what ended Becca & Lolly's friendship. I really hope they don't drag that out for too much longer.

I love this show. And while I'm sure that's because I too am in the late 30's/early 40's sweet spot, it's also just a good show. I particularly love reliving all of my past fashion mistakes through Lolly's wardrobe and some of my better moments through Becca's wardrobe. I even almost miss the tight tee, high-waisted flowy printed pants look. I had so many blazers. So. Many. Blazers.

• Love 3

I loved this episode. All the women hanging out was SO good!

I like the waitress a lot. I'm interested to see what her deal is since this ep kinda made me think she is gonna be a big factor since they gave her so much airtime.

I'm sad to hear the ratings are bad. I hope we find out why Becca and Lolly break up this season.

I just thought "wait a minute, Tara can't be 40 yet, I'm sure she's only a couple of years older than me." Then I remembered I'm 38.

The soundtrack talk makes me want to give this a look. I've only just discovered Being Erica (I know, I'm late to the party there), and the soundtrack on that is great, for the same reason.

I am also 38 and keep doing the same damn thing.  *sobbing*

I really like this show. It's like Never Been Kissed with a 90s nostalgia spin. 

• Love 2

I decided to look up the ratings myself.  According to TV by the Numbers, this week's episode only had a 0.1 rating with 242,000 viewers and it fell outside of the top 100 shows on cable Wednesday night, so yea that is pretty bad.  In comparison to another VH-1 show, Mob Wives 5 had over 1M views and a 0.5 rating on the same night.  I guess people really do prefer trashy reality TV on VH-1.  Sad.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/22/wednesday-cable-ratings-american-horror-story-wins-night-duck-dynasty-the-game-broad-citymelissa-joey-more/353911/

This show needs to be advertised on other stations. I never watch VH1 and only found it after reading a post on Facebook. Shame really.

It was, that's how I knew to watch it. I can't remember what other channel I was watching when I saw the promos but I defintiely saw several of them.

• Love 1

My husband and I were disturbed that Vh-1 actually had to advertise it as a "scripted" series, as if that's so rare these days, which sadly it kinda is. 

This reminded me about this graph I saw today about how there are so many more scripted shows on cable now than there ever has been. I actually think there's just so many shows on and a lot of them get lost in the shuffle.

I hope VH1 gives this show another chance to find an audience. I mean it's on VH1, so I think a lot of people just don't even know about it. It could grow.

• Love 2

I feel like I've seen the "fortune teller" waitress in other things...

Loved all the women going out together, even the usually prissy, judgy Phoebe. But that many tequila shots?! Followed by more drinks? They'd all be dead, lol.

The twist of Phoebe missing her date with her future husband - very well done, because I actually went "oh shit!" even though I hadn't cared about Phoebe before. But now it looks like her relationship with Becca might change for the better.

The two guys spending their night watching Lolly's picks of movies and smoking pot was very 90s slacker movie. Loved it.

The writing for this show is really smart. The 90s nostalgia is done well and not overdone. So is the time travel / changing the future aspect of Becca's story. Love it!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 3

My husband and I were disturbed that Vh-1 actually had to advertise it as a "scripted" series, as if that's so rare these days, which sadly it kinda is. 

VH-1 having a non reality series is a fairly new thing (they've only had a few). No, they have to emphasize this in advertising. It's not the norm for them yet.

Ha, I have had the same experience! In the run up to Seth Meyers taking over Late Night, I read something that referred to him as 40, and was like, "HE'S WHAT?! Wait, you're going to be 40." 

I think it's funny that a show about a woman traveling back in time 20 years needs to be advertised as scripted ...

• Love 3

I DVR'd this show and really like it!  I missed episode 2 somehow so was really confused by the recap showing her kiss Andy but moved on and also enjoyed episode 3!

Half the time I barely notice the current music but love hearing the 90s music! 

I'm interested to see where her shifting the future leads, if it in fact shifts (Phoebe and Courtney met anyway), and what happens with her brother and Lolly and how the waitress is relevant.

If you are interested in a great book about going back in time (repeatedly), changing the course of lives (and the world) and just a really thought provoking book - read "Replay" by Ken Grimwood.  It's awesome! I've read it about 5 times and one copy we kept loaning out fell apart and we had to buy another!

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show so much, and I can only watch it by buying eps off Amazon.

Funnily enough, I watched the Being Erica pilot right before checking Amazon to see if VH1 had the Hindsight pilot there for free (yes). Based on just pilots, I preferred Hindsight, but I ordered S1 of BE on DVD.

Edited by Electruck

I've finally discovered this show and slowly catching up but so far I love it, especially as a fan of the defunct Being Erica. The leads are great and I love Jamie! He's a thousand times a better actor than any of the love interests.

And I'm on board with the theory that Becca's falling out with Lolly has something to do with Sean. my guess is she cheats on James with Sean, thus destroying all of those relationships at once. Although, I really hope it's something deeper than that. I'll be pretty disappointed if their friendship falls apart over a guy.

I was talking more about making a lot of money with her knowledge.  Her possible job with the author would still be a job and not pay close to what she could make betting on future events.

I liked that she tried to use her future knowledge and it didn't work out perfectly...its such a cliche that if one could just go back in time, that they could use their future knowledge and things would work out perfectly for them. I'd like to think if I woke up in 1995 that I'd get hard at work inventing Google, or Amazon, or Netflix or something...but I probably wouldn't, lol.

And the criticism about not mentioning/talking about 9/11...what would she even say? "Oh yeah, in six years or so, terrorists fly planes into the Twin Towers. We should totally stop that!" she'd be written off as a lunatic. There'd sadly be no way she could prove it, Lolly only really believed her when the purple Docs came into her life.

It seems like you're hung up on this idea of betting on the future to make money. I'm inclined to agree with lesley. I don't think it's that realistic that anyone would have all of these details memorized for the past two decades. I don't even remember who won the last superbowl or world cup much less one that happened 20 years ago. There are a handful you can probably bank on, like presidential elections, but who's to say that those facts won't change?

Becca is in an alternate universe and anything she does could alter the chain of events in the future. One tiny slip up could create a domino effect and maybe Google never gets invented. The show is still in it's infancy but I would like to see some of her predictions fail to come to fruition. She works in PR, hypothetically she might poach someone she believes to be successful in the future, but maybe it's not the talent that brings success, but the PR approach and she single-handedly torches both their careers.

I'm enjoying this show so much, and I can only watch it by buying eps off Amazon.

Funnily enough, I watched the Being Erica pilot right before checking Amazon to see if VH1 had the Hindsight pilot there for free (yes). Based on just pilots, I preferred Hindsight, but I ordered S1 of BE on DVD.

I think Being Erica is very similar, but it has a much darker undertone than Hindsight. Erica is also far more neurotic and damaged than Becca is.

• Love 1

I've finally discovered this show and slowly catching up but so far I love it, especially as a fan of the defunct Being Erica. The leads are great and I love Jamie! He's a thousand times a better actor than any of the love interests.

It seems like you're hung up on this idea of betting on the future to make money. I'm inclined to agree with lesley. I don't think it's that realistic that anyone would have all of these details memorized for the past two decades. I don't even remember who won the last superbowl or world cup much less one that happened 20 years ago. There are a handful you can probably bank on, like presidential elections, but who's to say that those facts won't change?

Becca is in an alternate universe and anything she does could alter the chain of events in the future. One tiny slip up could create a domino effect and maybe Google never gets invented. The show is still in it's infancy but I would like to see some of her predictions fail to come to fruition. She works in PR, hypothetically she might poach someone she believes to be successful in the future, but maybe it's not the talent that brings success, but the PR approach and she single-handedly torches both their careers.

Sorry, but it's just common sense.  Knowing the future would be an advantage for anyone. 

And you don't have to remember who won the last 20, just a couple of those in the years your are in.  Now, of course, being a sports fan I would know all of them.  And I think you underestimate people and you are judging from your own perspective.  Most people could tell who won sports events over the years.  At least, some of them.  And everyone would know the Presidency winner.  Plus, they are other things to bet on that everyone would know.  And, investing wouldn't hurt.  No one reason someone put in the past with knowledge of future shouldn't be rich.

And another thing in this scenario.  Unlike most time travel stories, where usually one's body is transported in time.  So, there would another you there.  But, since only Becca's consciousness was moved, she doesn't have any problems like money, Id, a place to stay, friends, etc.

And this is actually the same timeline, and Becca has only changed small things in her world.  No reason to think they would cause earth shaking changes at this time.

I realize they probably won't address this because it's much more fun to see Becca struggle.  Wouldn't be much of a story if she gets rich really quick.

And this is actually the same timeline, and Becca has only changed small things in her world.  No reason to think they would cause earth shaking changes at this time.

Are you familiar with the butterfly effect? It's become something of a trope in time-travel stories especially, but that doesn't make it any less possible.

Edited by dubbel zout

And I think you underestimate people and you are judging from your own perspective.  Most people could tell who won sports events over the years. At least, some of them.

Most people don't follow American football, but you're right, I shouldn't be generalizing. In this case, all that matters is what Becca remembers and she doesn't strike me as a huge sports fan. So, unless she and Sean somehow consummated that win, I doubt she remembers 1995's superbowl any better than I do.

More importantly, I don't think money is really an issue for her. The family lives in Manhattan and she's not at all concerned about finances despite having

just quit her job.

Her future self appears to be doing just fine, sans outrageous bets. And after catching up on with this series, it looks like the universe has a way of righting her wrongs if she messes with something she isn't supposed to, as seen when she tries to poach Adam, in an effort to keep her on track. Money doesn't seem like a priority to Becca, as much as finding love or furthering her career.

• Love 2