Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: And It Cannot Be Changed

The family and Emmett discover Bay's impulsive decision to take the blame for Daphne, and no one is happy about it. Meanwhile, Daphne is determined to prove herself worthy of her switchster's sacrifice while also dealing with the challenges of starting college.

Art: "And It Cannot Be Changed" (1814) by Francisco Goya.

SO GLAD people are finally calling Daphne out on her crap. So unhappy that New Hot Josh gave in to her whining. So angry that John bought right into it and thought it was the best idea ever, with no thought to Bay at all. Also, STUPID BAY touching that sandwich, but what the heck with no one explaining the work situation and what was going on? Hey, you'll be doing community service with prisoners, but we won't tell you that or who they are, but you'll get in big trouble if you interact with any of them, which you'll only find out about after. Surprise! I can't imagine any program being run that way. 

Also, so sad that now we lose Emmett. I can't imagine they'll be doing too many "Emmett in LA" scenes. At best we'll see him on Bay's cell phone screen.

• Love 5

So, I used to work scheduling interpreters for Deaf students at a large university. The whole plot line of "Daphne must find her own interpreter" is the most convoluted thing ever. Any experienced university interpreter can interpret a 101 level class. Most have interpreted Chem 101 several times.  

• Love 6

You know, I belong to group for adult siblings of people with disabilities (A Sib), and most of our group deals with intellectual disabilities or mental health issues but there were SO MANY Sib issues present in this episode. The over protective parent wanting to help both kids(Jon), the "typical" sibling that's pissed off (Toby), the Mom not knowing where she went wrong (Regina).

I'm not saying Deaf or Hard of Hearing people are disabled but society often sees them as such. The similarities are uncanny. I am glad Emmett told her off. Bay is now a FELON- she has lost her right to vote! What about jobs?!!! I just can't believe.

• Love 2

I feel bad for Bay.  If I was in her place I doubt I would have thought about the implications of handing over a sandwich either.

And of course, Daphne doesn't think things through at all.  It didn't occur to her that it would be hard to get a good interpreter when she wasn't at Gallaudet?  I hated that Bay took the fall for her, but it seems dumb to just bail like that to stay in Kansas City.  And I hate how TV shows make it seem like people can show up at college at the last minute and get a dorm room and all the classes they want.

So angry that John bought right into it and thought it was the best idea ever, with no thought to Bay at all.

I was annoyed at that too.  At least Katharine and Regina were concerned about her.

• Love 3

That's it.  It's confirmed. John, Kathryn, and Regina value their princess Daphne more than Bay.  Bay is just collateral damage in the quest to make sure princess gets EVERYTHING she wants.

Seriously? John's celebrating Bay doing what she did? He congratulated her? Really?

Regina and Kathryn mildly disapprove, but they're quickly on board as well.

They then practically have a party while sending her off to community service?  Nothing matters to them except for Daphne having everything she wants.  They spent the entire episode holding her hand and petting her and just making sure that she was okay.  Emmett was right.  They all treat her like she's some fragile special thing.  But rarely do they show that same affection for Bay.

They were just so nonchalant about the whole thing.  I couldn't believe it.  What message are they sending to Bay?  She's expendable.  Her life isn't as important as Daphne's.  Daphne is the priority. Daphne is most important.

Toby and Emmett were the only ones speaking any sense about any of this.  I was glad to see they aren't drinking the Daphne kool-aid.

I really just couldn't believe this episode.  Bay keeps getting knocked down over and over again while Daphne literally got everything she wanted.  Everything.

Daphne is a selfish, selfish bitch.  Her nonchalant attitude with Toby about the risk Bay took was just jaw-dropping.  "It's just a little community service & then it'll be over."  "I wasn't going to get to be a doctor."  Newsflash, Daphne.  It'll never be over for her.  She's going to carry it around the rest of her life.  And then she has the NERVE, the fucking NERVE to talk to Melody about things being unfair for HER? Am I supposed to be rooting for her to succeed?

I don't want to hear about "It was Bay's choice." That doesn't mean Daphne can't be a complete asshole for letting her do it.  For actively participating in the lie.

I have many more thoughts about this, but the whole thing is just SO unbelievable and rage inducing.

And really? Daphne gets to do her community service and punishment that totally wasn't punishment in an office with two guys fighting over her which leads her to her supposed new "dream," but Bay's out on garbage duty w/ drug dealers?  

Yeah. This people who write this show favor Daphne over Bay as well.

• Love 20

I wanted that professor to Shut. Her. Down. Week before classes? Sorry, there's already a waiting list to get into that class. Although if there are so many bio majors, there would be more than one class to get in. And Daphne pulling out that she's Puerto Rican as her first gambit? Talk about manipulative. I'm glad she's getting some comeuppance, but she needs a lot more of it. I hope Josh quits on her after it's too late for her to change her schedule. 

• Love 1

I don't really care that Daphne's getting dumped on because she was a major idiot anyway. But Bay's impulsive nature turns out to be her undoing once again? Shocker. I was actually surprised that John was okay with this, but then after thinking about it I realized he would have done the same thing for his family.

"I might have inherited a genetic predisposition for brain aneurysms so I won't tell anyone"
Emmett: Why didn't you come to me?

Bay: I didn't want you to talk me out of it.

"I'm going to agree to a first degree felony charge so that my sister can become a doctor"
Emmett: Why didn't you talk to me about this if it meant ruining our plans?

If their love really was that "strong," a long distance relationship would be the least of her problems given the lack of foresight to this whole situation. This show has taken such a turn from where it once was.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 2

"I might have inherited a genetic predisposition for brain aneurysms so I won't tell anyone"

Emmett: Why didn't you come to me?

When did this happen? Bay has never been shown having a conversation with Emmett about the aneurysm.  It isn't even clear that he even knows.  I'm sure he must, but Bay never told him on screen that I'm aware of, so when did this conversation occur?

And why didn't anyone bring up Bay's potential for aneurysms when they were all patting her on the back for becoming a felon for Daphne?  Didn't anyone think that the stress of what she's about to go through might increase the risk of her having an aneurysm?  I would think that would be a concern.

Oh, that's right.  The whole aneurysm thing was a random plot to kill off Angelo which was a random plot to create Daphne drama.  And they don't care about Bay anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

"I'm going to agree to a first degree felony charge so that my sister can become a doctor"

Emmett: Why didn't you talk to me about this if it meant ruining our plans?

I didn't think he was being unreasonable asking her that.  They were making plans together. Bay talked about those plans with both Emmett and John/Kathryn/Regina in the finale.  Going to LA with him was HER idea in the first place.  They're in a relationship that Bay herself described as "serious."  I thought it came off as Emmett thinking of himself and Bay as partners.  No one expects their partner to do something huge like that without talking about it first.  No they aren't married or anything, but I didn't think he was out of line.  And there was no perfect response to hearing something like that.  At least he wasn't practically high-fiving her for throwing her life and plans away for someone who doesn't deserve it.  Yeah, he had a moment of selfishness, but he was mostly focused on Bay and the repercussions for her.

• Love 4

That was my point: when she was going through the aneurysm situation, she didn't go to Emmett and decided to deal with everything (and the stress that went with it) on her own, eventually telling Tank which was random. Only after it was sorted, did she have the talk with Emmett about it and then following him to LA. Same thing applies here, she wasn't thinking of her serious relationship all that much when she impulsively decided to commit to this ridiculous idea and it once again becomes her undoing. Bay said she would regret going to L.A. if she "didn't go through with it."  Now we, as viewers, know that's malarkey but it's a drama and we're supposed to sit and stew about everyone's terrible decisions. I guess it just too outlandish to pull at my heartstrings as much anymore .

Edited by Eri

That was my point: when she was going through the aneurysm situation, she didn't go to Emmett and decided to deal with everything (and the stress that went with it) on her own, eventually telling Tank which was random. Only after it was sorted, did she have the talk with Emmett about it and then following him to LA. Same thing applies here, she wasn't thinking of her serious relationship all that much when she impulsively decided to commit to this ridiculous idea and it once again becomes her undoing. Bay said she would regret going to L.A. if she "didn't go through with it."  Now we, as viewers, know that's malarkey but it's a drama and we're supposed to sit and stew about everyone's terrible decisions. I guess it just too outlandish to pull at my heartstrings as much anymore .

I agree about the outlandishness of this whole Bay taking the fall for Daphne thing.  

None of it makes sense based on Bay's character in my opinion.  The stuff she was spouting about Daphne at the beginning was over the top.  Yeah, Bay and Daphne are on better terms, but it was like the writers deliberately had Bay waxing poetic about Daphne to make what she was doing palatable.  It was too much.  Maybe it was her trying to convince herself?  I don't know, the whole thing was horrible. 

Now, I'm not being sarcastic, but what are you referring to when yo say Bay had a conversation with Emmett about the aneurysm?  Yeah, she had the random talk with random Tank, but I really don't believe her and Emmett ever talked about it.  There has been no conversation between the two of them about it.  She went to Emmett's job and told him she wanted to go to LA with him, but she didn't say anything about the aneurysm in that conversation.  She told John and Kathryn before graduation, but those are the only people besides Tank and the doctor who she has ever talked to about the aneurysm.  

Oh, that was my own sarcastic remark to how he would have reacted had Bay discussed it with him :) The closest she came was starting an argument with Emmett at the Hawkeye Ranch when the doctor's office asked her to come in about the test results, then explains the clarity she felt after getting the thumbs up that she would be fine. The "Your whole life is going to change and who knows what's going to happen to me?" was clear foreshadowing for this whole set up. Bay doesn't treat her relationship much like a serious one in my opinion. She's continuously made decisions that only she chooses to deal with in her own way (remember prom?), she's not been thinking of him in her decision-making for a while and at her age, I guess I wouldn't expect her to because they're still young. If family is on the forefront of her priorities then let it be so but I'm not convinced of this great love they make it out to be.

The only reasonable answer I could think of for Bay's decision was that in some ways, she still feels a bit of guilt that she was the swister who grew up with the "better advantage"  and wants to convince herself that this was the right choice. Now the feces has hit the fan and she realizes the weight of her decisions and will be miserable for a while because she naively thought she'd get a "slap on the wrist." When she discussed how the probation officer just looked and treated her like a criminal, it ironically made me think of how much she wanted to be on the other side of the tracks living in East Riverside. Grass isn't always greener now is it? Welcome to being a minority! :P

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Bay to an extent, but until she learns to not be a sacrificial lamb for every person in distress, she will never be happy or have it easy.

Edited by Eri

I can't with this show. I try to watch it and it ruins my mood seeing that bitch Daphne on my screen. Your ass doesn't deserve to be a doctor, you selfish twit. Now if Emmett is gone it will be easier to cut this show off the DVR. I loved the Christmas episode because it wasn't about Bay continuously getting crapped on. Now they have everyone on board with Bay having a felony record because Daphne wants to become a doctor.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

They were just so nonchalant about the whole thing.  I couldn't believe it.  What message are they sending to Bay?  She's expendable.  Her life isn't as important as Daphne's.  Daphne is the priority. Daphne is most important

This is probably why Bay took the blame. This way, she gets some of the attention and the approval, this way she gets to be the sister who did something noble. Let's face it, that's the only way she can count or be important in this family that makes so much about Daphne. It's seriously fucked up. This reasoning is the only way I can justify why Bay did what she did. Bay needs counseling, hell, the whole family does so that they can dismantle the screwed up dynamics they created that led to Bay martyring herself. 

As for Daphne, fuck her. I've been raging about her since the finale. Yes, Bay chose to martyr herself, but Daphne could easily, easily have stopped it. They had a conversation about it before Daphne chose to let Bay go through with it.  Yes, Bay's choices were wrong, but Daphne's choices (and she had complete agency so no pass) prove what a shitty, selfish person she is. Daphne is the worst. I hope she never becomes a doctor.

I hope Bay learns that Daphne's not worth it and that she sacrificed a lot of her future choices by doing what she did. That record is going to follow her around. 

I laughed at Iris talking about how hard premed is and Daphne's face. Hope the weed out classes get you, suckah! Also, I didn't get to Josh's level of cynicism until much later heh.

Edited by loveigniting
  • Love 3

The problem is there's no way to change things now. Daphne can't come clean, because that will get Bay in even more trouble than she's already in. That makes this a really interesting plot, to me. The tension isn't "Will Daphne own up to her bad judgment", because she literally can't now. It's "How will Daphne live with what she's done", which is a lot more open-ended. It's quite telling that her version of "making it up to them by making everything as good for everyone as possible"  is identical to "making things the best for Daphne". 

• Love 6

I agree the situation is terrible, but I don't think the show is trying to make us think otherwise. I think they are saying exactly what we are saying, which is that it's totally fucked up and nothing can fix it, so I think it's awesome.

I also think Bay is going to get in trouble for Emmet's graffiti timeline, and that will be like her third strike: Daphne's vandalism, the "lunch" delivery, and then "street art" by Emmett, which she will also be accused of doing. And then what? Do we want Emmett to take the fall and prove he's a better person than Daphne, or do we want Bay to take the blame for that, too, since her life is already ruined? Once you have a record and an reputation, you will be suspected of things 'the nice kids" do, and you will have an uphill battle getting out of it while they aren't even under suspicion. So her choice to take the fall for Daphne not only affects her and Daphne, but it also means Emmett has to watch his step. And her family is now complicit as well-- can you imagine how it looks from an outsider's point of view, that the parents went along with this?

On another level, the show is saying that the justice system destroys lives rather than reforms people, and I think that's also a good message. As shitty as Daphne's behavior has been, sending her to prison isn't really a better outcome than having her become a doctor-- if she could really handle the work of becoming one. And we don't know how that would turn out, either. We have no way of knowing because no effort has been put into dealing with her issues; it was either take that option off the table and send her to jail, or sweep it under the rug and hope she somehow magically snaps out of it and becomes a better person on her own. Neither path is doing anything to help anyone, it's all just a waste.

I don't have any answers, but I think she show is doing a great job of showing how messed up everything is.

I like when shows on TV give teens consequences for their impulsive decisions. It's painful, but that's real life. Not every crazy mistake gets a happy ending.

And at least they aren't focused on insipid teen romance we can see on any number of other programs; it's family issues and other stuff this show does better than all that, but for some reason had been neglecting for the past long while in favor of that bland romantic crap they never did well anyway. I really hope they stick with the current issues and don't just wrap it up in 2 seconds with an all clear and go back to boring teen wuv again.

• Love 4

From the review:

... good-for-you educational stuff about what it's like to be Deaf in college and have to deal with things like finding an ASL interpreter who knows chemistry for your pre-med class.

Except not. That was not accurate at all and it really shouldn't be that hard seeing as though their town has such a huge Deaf population. I wish the guy she forced into being her interpreter had stuck to his guns and, if nothing else kept insisting he wasn't certified because he's right.  In the preview for next week's episode Daphne says something to him about not speaking for her....what did she expect?? He's not a trained interpreter. Ug.

I honestly have never hated a fictional character as much as I hate Daphne. I actually exclaimed "YES!!" when Toby and Emmett told her off. Good for them.

Never in my life has an hour of TV made me so annoyed and angry. I cannot believe their parents allowed this to happen and John's reaction was unbelievable. Once again, Daphne gets everything she wants and I can not wait for when it finally comes crashing down.

Also minor criticism: They keep mentioning how she would have gone to prison. Neither Daphne nor Bay would have ended up in prison. In most states you go to prison if your sentence is more than 364 days.  They would have ended up in the local county jail. But whatever.

And at least they aren't focused on insipid teen romance we can see on any number of other programs; it's family issues and other stuff this show does better than all that, but for some reason had been neglecting for the past long while in favor of that bland romantic crap they never did well anyway. I really hope they stick with the current issues and don't just wrap it up in 2 seconds with an all clear and go back to boring teen wuv again.

That's true. If that interpreter kid becomes a love interest...ug. I might be done. (I probably won't be but I'll want to be).

Edited by heythere
  • Love 2

On the interpreter thing - yeah, it's the college's responsibility to find an interpreter for a student if they've been admitted with the understanding that they'd need one. IF the college can't find one using "reasonable effort" then the student has to try on their own, but to assume Daphne has to start off that way is dumb. Unless they're trying to underscore how useless Daphne is by showing that she runs off half-cocked without even trying the usual channels. Other options would be for the lectures to be recorded and then transcribed by a person or voice-to-text software, or at worst even for Daphne to have a dedicated seat in the front of the room since she has Magical Lip Reading Abilities. It's not she finds her own interpreter or nothing.

I missed the part where Regina gave up going to Hawaii with Wes because of all of the drama. Add another one to the pile of lives Daphne has left in her wake.

It’s pretty cool that Daphne found a time machine and started going to college decades ago, when people had to register for classes in person. Honey, we do that online nowadays.

And I hate how TV shows make it seem like people can show up at college at the last minute and get a dorm room and all the classes they want.

Or change their minds about going to college a few days before they leave. Like, you put down deposits and pay tuition and fees.

Also cool how Melody started an entire college program over the course of 10 weeks and found enough deaf students to fill a whole class.

And there’s only one Chem 101 class for a campus of that size.

HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN TO COLLEGE ON THIS WRITING STAFF?

If that interpreter kid becomes a love interest...ug.

He’s cute. He has a bad attitude. He dislikes Daphne at their first meeting. Pretty sure there is no chance of him NOT becoming a love interest.

• Love 8
And there’s only one Chem 101 class for a campus of that size.

HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN TO COLLEGE ON THIS WRITING STAFF?

And like Chem 101 is THAT difficult that she would need a specialized interpreter to begin with? It is Chem 101 a basic core class.  Had they said Organic Chem I would buy this line, but not Chem 101.  

• Love 2

It was 100 days extended probation.  So I thought she wouldn't have the anklet, nor need to do community service, she just couldn't leave town.

Speaking of which...  I know the are teenagers in love, but I thought Bay and Emmet were way over reacting to being separated for a measly 100 days longer than anticipated.  And I don't mean being mad at Daphne, I mean their general angst, despair and depression over it.  It's only 100 days people!   I am glad they had Emmett still go though.  Not that I want him off the show, I don't (and I'm sure we'll still see him), but it would be so stupid not to go.  His mom was right,

• Love 1

The interpreter is totally going to be a love interest! It's been days since Daphne has been kissed, worshipped or fought over. So a new love interest is long overdue! (sigh)

I don't usually mind the farfetched aspects of the show.. It's ABC Family afterall. I just enjoy cast and normslly just go with the flow. But I'm giving a serious side-eye to that whole passing drugs to the hardened criminal storyline.

The rules about what's allowed and what's not would have clearly been explained Bay's first day at the site. The extra 100 days would be more believable if Bay had been told the rules, but stupidly broke them because the inmate's "sister" looked harmless.

If Bay is in trouble, the guards should be too. Where exactly were they when the hunky drug dealer was having a loud, flirty and pretty damn obvious conversation with the new pretty young lady?

His community service girlfriend saw what was going down. Why didn't the guards. Why weren't they watching for non-vest wearing strangers rolling up to the site offerring lunches and telling the newbie that such interactions weren't allowed?

I could be wrong. But isn't it up to a judge to add more community service to Bay's sentence... not the Probation Officer. And wouldn't something like that take longer than a day to happen.

I'm not usually this critical. But that was all just too silly for me.

• Love 7

I agree aquarian1. It's difficult for me to root for these two...

Although I think, Emmett was also partially afraid to leave home for the sake of having to fully immerse himself in, what I assume to be, a fully fledged hearing world on his own as well. Up until now, he's grown up and communicated only within the deaf community at home (Melody and Travis) and at school (Natalie, Matt, Daphne). He lucked out having a hearing girlfriend who would learn to sign and has gained a bit of exposure when the hearing kids joined Carlton but he has always been passive around other hearing strangers. Perhaps his plans with Bay would've helped in his transition to the new environment and that added to his anxiety? I don't know how large the deaf community would be at USC, but I wonder if he would have to go through a similar process as Daphne for classes and such.

• Love 1

The interpreter is totally going to be a love interest! It's been days since Daphne has been kissed, worshipped or fought over. So a new love interest is long overdue! (sigh)

I don't usually mind the farfetched aspects of the show.. It's ABC Family afterall. I just enjoy cast and normslly just go with the flow. But I'm giving a serious side-eye to that whole passing drugs to the hardened criminal storyline.

The rules about what's allowed and what's not would have clearly been explained Bay's first day at the site. The extra 100 days would be more believable if Bay had been told the rules, but stupidly broke them because the inmate's "sister" looked harmless.

If Bay is in trouble, the guards should be too. Where exactly were they when the hunky drug dealer was having a loud, flirty and pretty damn obvious conversation with the new pretty young lady?

His community service girlfriend saw what was going down. Why didn't the guards. Why weren't they watching for non-vest wearing strangers rolling up to the site offerring lunches and telling the newbie that such interactions weren't allowed?

I could be wrong. But isn't it up to a judge to add more community service to Bay's sentence... not the Probation Officer. And wouldn't something like that take longer than a day to happen.

I'm not usually this critical. But that was all just too silly for me.

So much of this made no sense! I'm married to a cop, and Mr. Mama was shaking his head at this whole scenario!

You guys are right on with the interpreter situation. It would NEVER be the Deaf student's responsibility. And while it's true that not all interpreters could interpret such a class, there would be plenty who could. Interpreters are quick studies and don't always need to fully grasp the material to interpret it accurately. I've interpreted plenty of things that make no sense to me but as long as I had vocabulary worked out with the Deaf student and knew how each term was used, we got by quite well.

If I had to chose between a person who had been trained to interpret and a CODA with no professional experience but subject matter knowledge, I'd go for the pro terp every time. CODAs are often brilliant interpreters, but they need training and experience to be any good at it. I can see right off the bat that this guy will not follow the Code of Professional Conduct and will cause problems for Daphne.

I love that an interpreter is finally getting a storyline, but hate that he's not a real interpreter.

• Love 3

Like with English guy and the vandalism guy and Jeff the chef.

Don't forget Liam.. Bay's first boyfriend.. Toby's best friend Wilkie.. the young doctor and his wheelchair bound rival from the clinic! It's a wonder how she found enough time to cause so much mayhem.

• Love 3
And Daphne pulling out that she's Puerto Rican as her first gambit? Talk about manipulative.

After that whole thing with the Puerto Rican scholarship application, I was really surprised to hear Daphne lead with "I'm Puerto Rican" when talking with the professor. 

• Love 1

I wonder whether this is the last that we will see of Emmett for a long time? He and Bay are gold together so I can't imagine that TPTB will ship him off screen for long. I wasn't as engrossed in the show as I usually am because I don't want to see Bay getting into deeper trouble.

• Love 4

It’s pretty cool that Daphne found a time machine and started going to college decades ago, when people had to register for classes in person. Honey, we do that online nowadays.

Haha, that's probably exactly why the lady at the desk was so annoyed by the whole situation. I was smiling at the fact that finally someone wasn't willing to go out of their way to help Daphne get what she wanted.

After that whole thing with the Puerto Rican scholarship application, I was really surprised to hear Daphne lead with "I'm Puerto Rican" when talking with the professor. 

Not to mention the professor wanted to be convinced why she should let Daphne into the class. Why is that the first thing she thought of? 

I took that as the show's heavy-handed way of showing that Daphne didn't jump straight to being deaf, and that being deaf doesn't define you, etc. etc. etc. And/or it was a way of saying "even though I'm the whitest white girl to ever white girl, I'm totally Puerto Rican".

• Love 2

I took that as the show's heavy-handed way of showing that Daphne didn't jump straight to being deaf, and that being deaf doesn't define you, etc. etc. etc. And/or it was a way of saying "even though I'm the whitest white girl to ever white girl, I'm totally Puerto Rican".

I think they had to go this way because every other thing she could have mentioned about being unique would have sounded like she was looking for sympathy or entitled. Being deaf or being the switched at birth daughter of a former MLB player are much more unique, but they probably weren't the best way to start off. Neither was "So, I vandalize property, do drugs, steal narcotics, and blackmail politicians. Please let me in the class."

Ok, the good: they called Daphne and Bay sisters a few times. I know Bay said she was saving her sister, and I think Emmett said it when he was calling Daphne out.

Ok, the good: they called Daphne and Bay sisters a few times. I know Bay said she was saving her sister, and I think Emmett said it when he was calling Daphne out.

It was also kind of interesting for Bay to say Daphne lost her dad. I was glad to that Emmett reminded Bay that Angelo was also Bay's dad. 

• Love 1

Did Daphne get any punishment? I mean, I know she got out of trouble with the law because of what Bay did, but did the parents impose any sort of punishment? I didn't hear she was grounded or had to do volunteer work or whatever to at least sort of match up what Bay is forced to do.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 8

Yes, I think the three parents should have imposed the same restrictions on Daphne as the courts applied to Bay. There wouldn't have been an anklet but she should have been grounded or at the very least had a strict curfew. And she should have been made to go to Gaulledet.

• Love 2

Seriously, were Emmett and Toby the only smart ones throughout this whole episode? I'm actually happy Emmett got mad at Daphne; I feel like they haven't been friends in a long time anyway, so his anger at her did seem appropriate. John, Kathryn and Regina are in the wrong for letting Bay do this. Sure, Kathryn and Regina expressed some doubts but they are the parents. They should, at the very least, sit Bay and Daphne down and explain the consequences. John, on the other hand, absolute jackass. They always make me go from liking him to hating his guts. He's clearly the worst parent for letting his daughter cover for his other daughter. I don't fully blame Daphne, because she's a kid and she's tried to make amends to Bay but the actual adults who have more experiences? Uh, no, screw you guys.

Of course Interpreter Boy is going to be Daphne's new love interest. Isn't it obvious? I predict he'll fall for her in....three episodes? And she'll be reluctant until a moment of adventure locks them into a passionate embrace. Blech. The whole episode, in terms of course sign ups and stuff, was unrealistic anyway.Chem teacher is kind of ridiculous. "Oh no, you need an experienced Chemistry student who is fluent in sign language...or else!". Um, ok lady. Not that I don't like the Chem teacher, because I think she was fair in that she listened to Daphne and gave her a chance to prove herself.

I kind of liked the girl in Bay's community service group. She may be a bitch, but I'm kind of really digging her right now.

Good for Toby, though, for expressing how mad he is at Daphne and how he wouldn't put up with her trying to make excuses. I'm really, really happy Toby's still always on Bay's side. See, JOHN AND KATHRYN, just because you found your biological daughter it doesn't mean you should forget about the well being of your other daughter who you've known for 18 years!

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 5
See, JOHN AND KATHRYN, just because you found our biological daughter it doesn't mean you should forget about the well being of your other daughter who you've known for 18 years!

Especially when Bay's bio mom isn't the least bit interested in her bio daughter, either.

• Love 3

The tension isn't "Will Daphne own up to her bad judgment", because she literally can't now. It's "How will Daphne live with what she's done", which is a lot more open-ended.

They have no intent of doing that.  The point of Daphne telling the parents what she did right away was so Daphne wasn't saddled with guilt as a season long arc.  The parents going along with this stupid plan and even praising it was to give Daphne cover.

I can't tell if the acting is just that bad or if I dislike Daphne so much that her every action seems sinister, but when Bay kicked Daphne out of her bedroom and Daphne clearly changed her expression once her back was turned and it felt like she had gone from pretending sympathy to letting the mask drop when no one was looking.  I think Daphne is a narcissist.

• Love 1

I was a transfer student a couple of years ago and all transfer students and first semester freshman were required to see an academic advisor before they could register for classes, so that part didn't bother me.  This wasn't something you could do in the first couple of weeks or something, you're locked out of the online registration system until you see an advisor and they remove the account hold.

I didn't get the scene with Daphne trying to register for classes.  The scene seems to show her going to the registrars office instead of the advising office, so the woman should have sent her away.  There would be a dedicated person in advising for the deaf program and they would have taken care of registering her for all her classes, except the waitlisted chem class.  I was really annoyed by the scene with the chem professor, though.  First, has the woman never heard of hair dye?  Second, the minute she found out Daphne was deaf and only had the add form, she would have made her come to office hours with the proper paperwork.  

Also, there's no way in the world that professor would have insisted that Daphne get such a specific interpreter.  Like others have said, it's an intro class, not upper level.  I get that it would be hard to understand some of the technical words with lip reading, and that finger spelling would take too long, but most professors now teach from PDF outlines, especially in huge intro classes like that.  

ETA:  I forgot to ask this, but didn't Emmett already do a romantic "billboard" timeline for Bay?  

Edited by Splash

ETA:  I forgot to ask this, but didn't Emmett already do a romantic "billboard" timeline for Bay?  

It was the same one. Someone mentioned it had been painted over so he re-painted it and added more to it to cheer her up.

• Love 1