Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Now Is Not the End / S01.E02: Bridge And Tunnel

Doing one topic for the two episodes, as they will be airing back-to-back.

Peggy is contacted by old acquaintance Howard Stark when he is framed for unleashing his deadliest weapons and can trust no one else. To help Peggy clear Stark's name, he insists his butler, Edwin Jarvis, be at her beck and call--whether she likes it or not. But the risk is great: If caught, Agent Carter could be targeted as a traitor and spend the rest of her days in prison...or worse.

Howard Stark's deadliest weapon has fallen into enemy hands, and only Agent Carter can recover it. But can she do so before her undercover mission is discovered by SSR Chief Dooley and Agent Thompson?

Watching the Agent Carter pilot, and not long after Andre Royo's character eats it, the Fringe typewriter makes an appearance. You can't fool me with that little safety razor antenna. I just know he was communicating with another realm.

I really liked the Gotham-like atmosphere and Carter's style of badassery, but a two hour premiere is rarely, if ever a good thing. I am from the less is more camp. Especially when the pilot was the stronger (IMO) episode.

A little too humorless.

I do love the character of Jarvis; too bad he's duplicitous.

And I really love that geometric tie on the guy from Agent Carter's office--not sure if it was "Chief Roger Dooley," was obsessed with the tie.

Who knew James Frain does his best acting without talking?

• Love 4

Chad Michael Murray as a smug douche? Somebody give that casting director a bonus! On the other hand, casting James Frain and having him unable to speak seems like kind of a waste.

Jarvis is a hoot, and I love that he's married. I like their relationship as is.

Howlin' Commandos in the previews, Hell Yeah!

• Love 9

Ok, I think that between The Flash at 8 and Agent Carter at 9 my Tuesday nights are going to be taken (at least for the next month or so). Can I get a  "So say we all..."?

This show rocks!! Peggy continues to be totally awesome (especially at the end of the pilot when she "subtly" had the schmuck at the diner change his eating habits). If James Bond was to ever meet Peggy he'd probably say "My God.....it exists. The perfect woman for me". Too bad her heart belongs to Captain Rogers. But I do hope that Peggy and Daniel (Agent Sousa) get together, they'd make a cute couple.

The only thing that got on my nerves was waiting for the damn Ant-Man teaser (but it was worth it)

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 8

Since CTV absolutely refuses to join in on ABC's promo synergy can someone tell me when they played the ant man teaser? 

All in all I really enjoyed that. 

Well  already Agent Carter has Agents of Shield beat. Plot moves quickly and very little obsessing with people's personal dramas.  That  Radio show  will get annoying quickly though.

Given they only have 8 episodes there isn't much room for sub plots.

"That's Sarah, she's a slut."

Best line of the night.

The 2nd hour had a lot more humor than the first.  The first hour was straight up no humor, but at least in the 2nd we got stuff like the Captain America radio show and Peggy's reaction to it and her counterpart always being kidnapped, and Peggy's taking down of the escaping criminal.  Hayley Atwell continues to be amazing as Peggy.

Nice to see they've established in this episode Peggy while losing Steve, is going to wind up with someone like him in Sousa.  We knew it from Winter Soldier, but there's no trying to win him over or get him to change his views.

Also, can't believe Ron Wilson Bus Driver was that big of a douche in the diner.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 4

Wow, OK I really liked that and I think Peggy may end up rivaling Natasha as my favorite Marvel MU.   

"Hey why don't you handle the filing, your better at that sort of thing"

"That sort of thing? You mean the alphabet."

"The guy ran into a blonde leaving the office, he's still pulling staples out of his face."

Loved the Quips and the hat.   Felt bad for her roommate.   And I think the show did a really good job showing how hard it was for a woman who wasn't married financially.    The roommate going on about how 10 girls were laid off that day.    And Peggy and she had to alternate between the bed and chair each night?  Whoa.   Considering Peggy has literally helped save the world, she really is in a "what have you done for me lately" line of work.

Awesome explosion effect and really liked and laughed at Peggy deactivating the explosive device in her bathroom.    They didn't weigh her down but they gave her a nice amount of pathos.   Really liked Jarvis's talk with her about how nobody can shoulder the entire world alone.

Liked all the office characters for what they were.

Definitely here for the complete series, already feel like it's MUCH better than AoS.

• Love 16

A little too humorless.

Really? I laughed out loud quite a few times through both episodes. Mostly thanks to Jarvis (especially when he's commenting on Stark's antics) and the guy running down the road cuffed to the chair.

Well  already Agent Carter has Agents of Shield beat. Plot moves quickly and very little obsessing with people's personal dramas.  That  Radio show  will get annoying quickly though. 

I think the radio show was just a device for the one episode. It wasn't in the pilot, and it had made its point to the end.

I think I can honestly say that Peggy Carter is officially my favorite character from the MCU. Haley Atwell deserves all of the praise she's been receiving in the press. She just absolutely sparkles and is doing a fantastic job in building on her work in Captain America to create a really rich character. It's nice to see her handled so well after the bumpy ride they had transitioning Coulson to the small screen.

Speaking of modern SHIELD, can we please, please, please introduce time travel to the MCU so Simmons and Peggy can have an adventure together? That's be great.

• Love 7

James Frain! Didn't know he was going to be in this.... And he's gone.

Carter is awesome, and I want to know more about Jarvis.

Ok, I think that between The Flash at 8 and Agent Cater at 9 my Tuesday nights are going to be taken (at least for the next month or so). Can I get a  "So say we all..."?

Woo! I have a new Tuesday action block!

• Love 2

Speaking of modern SHIELD, can we please, please, please introduce time travel to the MCU so Simmons and Peggy can have an adventure together? That's be great.

Simmons would love that, we know she's got a girlcrush on Peggy.

Also Steve needs to have his dance with Peggy.

• Love 2

That was a whole lot of fun! I love Hayley Atwell, and she easily carries the series! Jarvis is a wonderful partner, and the setting is perfect (I think this is what the Wonder Woman series would have looked like had it been made in 2014 rather than the 70s), with just enough stuff from the comics to keep things interesting. Agents took a long time for me to warm to, but this hooked me immediately. Is it next week yet?

• Love 6

I think this might be one of the most entertaining pilots that I've seen in years.

Hayley was great. Her combat skills believable and well done. The special effects over all were seamless and used well.

I loved the time period. Many of things that happened that were 1940's specific were accurate to stories my grandmother told me from right after my grandfather returned from the war in Europe. (Women loosing their jobs, being looked down on by men as needing to go back to female roles, even the stocking she put on) Post WW2 is not a time frame that gets covered often in movies or TV shows. I loved that they were accurate but didn't bog down the story with it.

The radio drama was fun to see, I even loved that they gave a little behind the scenes peak at how those were made with the slab of meat being slapped.

I adored Jarvis and can't wait to find out what his deal is.

I will say that I am so happy that someone got a female heroine right in a comic story. I haven't connected to a few female heroines on other comic based shows and it was great to have one that was relevant, consistent, believable and fun. 

Can't wait for next week.

Edited by Orion
  • Love 10

Yes - if they were trying to get me to want a more-than-seven-episodes Agent Carter television series, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  Hayley Atwell is fantastic, not that that was a surprise, but she carries off the lighter moments as well as the badass ones. 

It makes me really, REALLY happy that Peggy has female friendships.  I think that's such a great piece of characterization, and it keeps the show from veering into "exceptional woman" territory.  I also adore her working relationship with Jarvis, her back-and-forth with Howard, and whatever's going on between her and Souza. 

Basically, the show pulled off a really nice balancing act between humanizing Peggy and letting her be a badass, and I really hope they can keep it up.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 10

It was a cute episode.

Jarvis is like Alfred, I get the feeling he's more than just a butler to Stark. Former agent? I guess Agent Carter is going to play Batman trying to stay one step ahead of the agents. And I thought she was suppose to a founding member of SHIELD. Although I think they played their keystone cops level of  incompetency a little too heavy-handedly. Shouldn't there be some Hydra agents around within the organization?

• Love 1

It was a cute episode.

Jarvis is like Alfred, I get the feeling he's more than just a butler to Stark. Former agent? I guess Agent Carter is going to play Batman trying to stay one step ahead of the agents. And I thought she was suppose to a founding member of SHIELD. Although I think they played their keystone cops level of  incompetency a little too heavy-handedly. Shouldn't there be some Hydra agents around within the organization?

SHIELD doesn't exist yet. This is the SSR, the precursor to SHIELD and the same organization she worked for in the first Cap movie. This series takes place before the one-shot in which Howard invites her to cofound SHIELD. And it's not until SHIELD brings in Arnim Zola as part of Operation: Paperclip that HYDRA begins to infiltrate.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 1

I am so excited this show had such a postive first showing! I sort of hated Marvel for not having something that was female-lead in their 'verse but if that meant waiting for this show, I'm glad we finally got something (And I love Agents of Shield).

This show was such a mash-up of my favorite genres. Spy-action-comic book? Sign me up for the whole season! I absolutely loved Peggy as the food OSHA lady. And I can't wait for the Howling Commandos!

• Love 7

Hayley Atwell is just SO GOOD in this role. I'm having a little difficulty believing the SSR has relegated her to filing and serving coffee after the prominent role she played in the war years, though. She wasn't filling in at a job after the departure of all the able-bodied men, she was serving alongside the U.S.'s best and brightest in a position of power and responsibility. And anyone with a working brain who spends five minutes in her presence should have at least a good idea of how smart and capable she is. Did I miss something showing how whoever succeeded Colonel Phillips took a personal dislike to Peggy and busted her down to the secretarial pool?

• Love 1

Shouldn't there be some Hydra agents around within the organization?

Hydra will probably show up at some point but this is the pilot and the second episode and they tend to be exposition heavy because they have to set up the story for people not familiar/not as familiar with the movies as some people.

If you think about it we got a ton of information tonight. It set up who she was and how she interacted with both Stark and Steve along with a quick recap of the Captain America character. It established her role during World War 2, what her life was like now, how she was treated, how unfulfilled she was in the role that that SSR had her in, it introduced Stark and Jarvis, bad guys, and office staff. All in addition to setting the time period and giving the audience a sense of where we are and what things are like.

Long answer to say Hydra will probably come in time.

• Love 1

And anyone with a working brain who spends five minutes in her presence should have at least a good idea of how smart and capable she is. Did I miss something showing how whoever succeeded Colonel Phillips took a personal dislike to Peggy and busted her down to the secretarial pool?

Unfortunately the attitudes of Steve, Howard, Phillips, and Sousa weren't exactly common in that time period.  It makes real life sense.

• Love 13

Hayley Atwell is just SO GOOD in this role. I'm having a little difficulty believing the SSR has relegated her to filing and serving coffee after the prominent role she played in the war years, though. She wasn't filling in at a job after the departure of all the able-bodied men, she was serving alongside the U.S.'s best and brightest in a position of power and responsibility. And anyone with a working brain who spends five minutes in her presence should have at least a good idea of how smart and capable she is. Did I miss something showing how whoever succeeded Colonel Phillips took a personal dislike to Peggy and busted her down to the secretarial pool?

No you didn't miss anything. It's just that that how women were treated in America after WWII, for a while. Unfortunately, things still haven't changed completely for the better but that's going off topic and I'll leave it there.But fortunately for Peggy she has Howard and Jarvis (And I'm pretty sure Sousa) who see that how truly awesome she really is.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 8

I really enjoyed that.  Haley Atwell was great and I'm already a fan of the guy playing Jarvis (of course Tony would name his AI butler after him).  Terrific action, a great time period realized visually (I do love stuff setting in the 40s and 50s), and the I thought the choice of music was a lot of fun.

I thought too that Frain's character was drawing a Hydra symbol.

I did laugh at the boss telling the driver that he usually straps a chair to his ass and goes running down the road.

I love Hailey Atwell in this role and the show is just so much fun.  I like the interplay of humor and action and the time period makes it a little more unique.  Love the clothes.  If there is a complaint it's that the male agents are just a little too bumbling.  I'm sure there is more to Jarvis. Great name, by the way.

• Love 1

Loved it. Loved the balance of action and humour, with a flake or two of social commentary. To my surprise, I actually found Dominic Cooper quite charming as Stark. (Maybe because he came in a relatively small dose?) but James D'Arcy is wonderful as the indispensable Jarvis. I was not hopeful at the casting of Chad Michael Murray, but I'll admit it appears to be working out handily. Enver Gjokaj is always welcome. I want to see more of Rose, who loves the hat, and Angie, awesome galpal. (And possibly a plant? She was very eager to have Peggy room with her.)

I'm dying to know what Jarvis meant by how Peggy was being deceived! And I'm calling it now: Mrs. Jarvis? A convenient fiction.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

Well, I thought that was two hours of awesomeness.  I don't see any Agents of SHIELD style growing pains here.  I love the setting (despite being a few decades earlier, reminds me of Mad Men, especially the work setting and sexism), the action was fun, and I'm intrigued enough by the long arcs, like Howard being set-up, this Levitation mystery, and Peggy's co-workers getting close to finding out what she's up too.

Favorite part was easily Peggy Carter herself.  Hayley Atwell is just so fucking awesome as Peggy.  She easily makes Peggy a badass, charismatic, and someone to root for.   I do like that the sexism in the workplace is being addressed, and I thought they did a good job at not going to overboard yet.  Besides the obvious ones, I found it interesting they also addressed that Daniel's defense of her was problematic and even condescending on some levels.  I hope this ends with Peggy owning everyone.  And, of course, Hayley looks gorgeous in all the 40s outfits.  Lucky Bubbles for getting to make out with her!

Second favorite was actually Jarvis.  Not really famailar with James D'Arcy, but he was spot-on in the role, and I already like the chemistry and banter he has with Hayley.  I really hope whatever mysterious thing going on with him won't be too bad, because I love the Peggy/Jarvis duo already.

The rest of the casting was great.  Shea Whigham as the jerk boss.  Enver Gjokaj as Daniel, someone who is at least nice to Peggy even if he is still has his own growing to do.  And, hell, this was the most I ever liked Chad Michael Murray.  Dude is clearly born to play doucebag roles, like in this one.  Kyle Bornheimer was also fun, although there were a few times he was a bit too broad of a comedic character.  Even the smaller roles were great: Andre Royo (Bubbles!), James Frain, Ray Wise, etc.  Great casting all around.

I'm glad that the second episode had more of Lyndsy Fonseca's character and it sounds like she will be featured more prominently in future episodes.  But, there has to be more to her, right?  You don't get  Alex Freaking Udinov from Nikita, and have her just serve pie, and give advice.  Although, I guess there are worst things then being typecast as the BFF to badass women.  I do hope they go somewhere with her.  In general, I hope we get a few more female characters and Peggy develops relationships with them 

at least I know Bridget Regan is going to be showing up.

Howling Commandos next week!

I'm sold.  I just hope enough people checked it out.  Of course, it being only eight episodes, even if it does bomb for whatever reason, I can't see even ABC not letting it finish its run.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 10

Forgot to mention but I thought Dominic Cooper was a lot of fun as Howard Stark, bringing a Tony-like demeanor.

Dr. Venko is the father to Mickey Rourke's (awful) character from Iron Man 2.

• Love 1

I'm dying to know what Jarvis meant by how Peggy was being deceived! And I'm calling it now: Mrs. Jarvis? A convenient fiction.

My guess, Angie is working with Jarvis and Stark.  They're right now setting up SHIELD, Angie will turn out to be an agent that Stark recruited.  Peggy thinks all this is to find the missing weapons, which that's the main thing, but the mission is also to set up SHIELD.

• Love 5

I liked it and agree that it really shines because of Hayley Atwell's acting and charisma. She really can do it all - play the emotion, the angst, the deadpan snark, and the action. I loved her "anything else I can do for you" after she chased down that guy and knocked him down before One Tree Douche could get to him. I also like that they are not shying away from the sexism of the era between Peggy's treatment at work, the tough finances, etc. I also loved some of the little humorous touches like when she is beating up that guy while the Captain America radio drama plays in the background.

• Love 2

A real life Peggy Carter.  Nancy Wake was an Australian born Special Operations Executive (the wartime "dirty tricks" brother to the Secret Intelligence Service, which codified many of the guerrilla tactics that modern insurgencies and terrorist organizations use today) operative who ran direct action missions alongside the French Resistance.  She was a real badass who "put the men to shame with her cheerful spirit and strength of character".

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 6

The Good:

Hayley Attwell, as said many times above.

The period atmosphere.  I found myself wondering how much cash they laid out for all that.

The Bad:

Not enough Howard Stark/Dominic Cooper.

The overuse of "background" music.  And I love swing!  It was intrusive.

The lack of humor.

The awesome:

Peggy being a badass.

Jarvis.

Jarvis's actor.

Dominic Cooper!

Jarvis.

I am seconding the above poster calling it. I don't think there IS a Mrs. Jarvis.  It is either a convenient lie for covering Jarvis's homosexuality or a lie for some other reason.

Peggy's difficulty with the apartment situation seems a little odd to me in that single women in New York City must have been able to find places to live, and she wouldn't have nearly as much to fear from getting a cheaper apartment or hotel room in a bad area of town as your average career gal.

Didn't we hear Mrs. Jarvis' voice from off-screen in one scene?

I don't think so, but I could have missed it.

I liked the Automat, too. I laughed probably too much at Peggy's line about jamming a fork against the asshat diner's thoracic (?) artery: "It's dull, but I'm determined."

For whatever it's worth, Jarvis doesn't read as gay, to me; I think he's lying about his time commitments to Mrs. Jarvis to cover other work he's doing for (or with) Stark. And I think he's attracted to Peggy. I think he took his hand off her knee out of propriety, not lack of interest.

"One Tree Douche," heh.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

Oh, this was fantastic!! I gave up on AoS before the end of S1, but I am totally sticking with Agent Carter.

First, Hayley Atwell is a star (and how much do I love that she has some curves to her?). And she has great chemistry with both Jarvis and Sousa.

Speaking of Jarvis, I have loved James D'Arcy since Master and Commander, so it is great seeing him here. And Enver! IMO, the best actor to come out of the Whedon acting troupe. I hope we get to see his mimicry at work.

Just too much fun to watch just once!

• Love 9

...I will say that I am so happy that someone got a female heroine right in a comic story. I haven't connected to a few female heroines on other comic based shows and it was great to have one that was relevant, consistent, believable and fun....

Yes!

....Peggy continues to be totally awesome (especially at the end of the pilot when she "subtly" had the schmuck at the diner change his eating habits)....

Yes. And as someone who works in public service, I wanted to cheer--but I was put off by the bit when he included in his rant that he had been a prisoner in Nazi Germany for 2 years and the food there was better than the diner's. Sorry, but for me it will always be too soon to make the douche character someone who survived Nazi prison camps--whether as a soldier or civilian. Same if he had said he was a prisoner in Apartheid South Africa or of Pol Pot's in Cambodia. I don't mind gray characters, but he wasn't drawn as gray.
  • Love 3

Peggy's difficulty with the apartment situation seems a little odd to me in that single women in New York City must have been able to find places to live, and she wouldn't have nearly as much to fear from getting a cheaper apartment or hotel room in a bad area of town as your average career gal.

There were not a lot of fair housing laws back then, and many places did not rent to single women, for any number of (sometimes even valid) reasons, and, though I assume Peggy has forged documents that certify that she works for the "phone company", many situations would not allow her the flexible schedule she needs. I'm guessing the rooming house, though set up to be even more restrictive, might be an easier work-around, as the women probably cover for each other, except for Sarah.

• Love 2

All-female apartment buildings, with tight rules to follow, used to be common in NYC, all the way up to the 1980s (don't forget that Bosom Buddies was set in one based on the Barbicon Hotel for Women).

• Love 5

I thought I misheard "implosion" instead of "explosion" when it was first mentioned but nope!

Anyway Peggy continues to be AWESOME. Fighting on top of a moving milk truck? In heels! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Loved Jarvis.

P.S. Special shout out to Shea Wigham aka Sheriff Thomson from Boardwalk Empire. He fits right into this role.

I had a hard time getting used to him calling the other agent "Thompson".

Lyndsy Fonseca can't just be there to serve pie and be Peggy's nosy friend .Could be be shady ?? And you know she is going to get involved action wise otherwise why hire her ?

I'm starting to think rival spy. Maybe Russian? She was very eager to get Peggy to move into her building, it would certainly make keeping an eye on her easier. Plus, as you said, why hire Lyndsy Fonseca for a spy show if she isn't going to kick some ass at some point?

Watching this just reminded me why Peggy was one of my faves in the MCU.  Atwell brings such warmth and strength to her, and still shows that she can kick anyone's ass.

They segued the events of Capt. America very well, and my heart broke a little every time they would show Steve.  But more importantly, the show is strong enough to support itself without constant mentions of the films, and that's a big deal, IMO.  I didn't need reminders about Steve and everything else because Peggy and Jarvis' craziness held my attention.  I wish AoS could do this for me.

And dear Jarvis nearly stole the show.  I can see Howard having him do other stuff behind Peggy's back, but I really hope he's not trying to hurt her.  Their camaraderie was awesome, and I hope they just stay friends and nothing else.  

Also enjoyed the realistic portrayal of women's lives post WWII.  The strict rules of the apartment were particularly enlightening.

I do think the rest of the agents need a little fleshing out, because they're kind of blah.  While I was sad to see Colleen die, at least Peggy has a new friend in Angie.

One criticism: they shouldn't have killed off Leet Brannis, because James Frain is awesome, even when you can't hear his voice.  He's still menacing.

All in all, a great start.

• Love 2

The same situation was a subplot for one of the female characters on the '90s AMC show "Remember WENN" set in a 1940s radio station (check it out if you liked the radio scenes in tonight's ep). 

I don't think Peggy can do wrong in my eyes. I just love her attitude, especially the snappy comebacks to the chauvinistic agents. I also really liked Agent Sousa and Jarvis, even if Jarvis seems strangely shady for a man we know will still be around for Tony Stark's childhood. Lyndsy Fonseca was adorable (I used to watch Nikita, so this was quite a change). 

I thought the initial setup with scenes interspersed from Captain America was nice, especially if there are viewers who haven't seen the movie or it's been awhile. Plus I'm always happy to see Cap on my tv. Also, I thought it stayed true to the one-shot. I'm definitely looking forward to Howling Commandos next week. 

ETA: I loved the use of knock-out lipstick. I don't think I've seen that since Wonder Woman.

Edited by Leia1979

When Jarvis instructed Carter to neutralize the bomb thingy with "a solution of sodium hydrogen carbonate and acetate" I immediately knew she was going to pull out baking soda and vinegar. Although vinegar is actually acetic acid and she had to react it with the baking soda in order to produce acetate first. Nice to put some of my college chemistry to use.

Also, I caught an appearance by Dr. Anton Vanko who is presumably related to Ivan Vanko, the villain of Iron Man 2.

It's late now, so the only other thing I'll say is that this show's very existence is a rebuke to Agents of SHIELD. Even in its improved state, SHIELD doesn't have the some zing and characterization that Agent Carter has managed to produce in just two episodes. It's probably because Agents of SHIELD takes itself way too seriously.

• Love 8