Type keyword(s) to search

If You Like GBBO: Other Bake Off Series And Show Recommendations

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Glad to hear, GaT.  I considered watching that one but the premise didn't seem all that interesting from the brief description I saw on the screen.

Speaking of Zumbo, are those multi-flavored, multi-layered desserts really a thing?  I've never seen one, although I don't generally frequent fancy restaurants.

I've never had one, but maybe they're a big thing in Australia?

On 11/6/2017 at 4:20 AM, GaT said:

I found a show on Netflix that is definitely using GBBO as it's model, it's called Zumbo's Just Desserts. It's an Australian show based on the desserts of Adriano Zumbo. The contestants have to make a dessert for a theme they are given, & then the bottom two have to recreate one of Adriano Zumbo's desserts in a "Zumbo Test", & boy, are those things complicated. The loser of that contest is then eliminated. The contestants are all very talented amateurs & it's  been interesting so far even though I don't like Gigi whose job I'm not really sure of.

I quoted the whole post because it's all relevant to my reaction. I did enjoy watching an episode of this -- the multicolored kitchen set is just fun to see, and Zumbo himself seems, while properly demanding as a judge, gratifyingly down to earth and unpretentious in manner. Two things bothered me (well three, because I too am unsure of Gigi's reason for existence): the first challenge is supposed to be "a reflection of who you are," but if "who you are" is an informal, homey cook, then it sucks to be you, you're not welcome; and the final competition is between the two bottom contestants, to avoid elimination. So we spend nearly half the show looking at the two currently deemed worst, which seems a wrong focus for the lengthy final suspense. 

35 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I quoted the whole post because it's all relevant to my reaction. I did enjoy watching an episode of this -- the multicolored kitchen set is just fun to see, and Zumbo himself seems, while properly demanding as a judge, gratifyingly down to earth and unpretentious in manner. Two things bothered me (well three, because I too am unsure of Gigi's reason for existence): the first challenge is supposed to be "a reflection of who you are," but if "who you are" is an informal, homey cook, then it sucks to be you, you're not welcome; and the final competition is between the two bottom contestants, to avoid elimination. So we spend nearly half the show looking at the two currently deemed worst, which seems a wrong focus for the lengthy final suspense. 

Glad I'm not the only person confused by Gigi, she doesn't add anything to the show. I also found the way the judges give the score to be very odd. They're just standing there. "Sue, I give you a 7", maybe I'm just used to shows where the judges are seated at a table? 

57 minutes ago, halopub said:

What do you think so far? I don't know that I could take that much Tom Allen. He already dominates Extra Slice. 

I've only watched one episode so far & it felt like Tom & Liam were more a presence than really did anything. They just kind of lurked. I don't like the judges though, I realize the chefs are pros, but the judges just seem kind of overly snotty to me, plus, they both have such thick accents, I have trouble understanding what they're saying.

New show alert! There's a glass blowing competition show called Blown Away that originally aired in Canada earlier this year but it is available on Netflix beginning today. I'm hoping it will be along the lines of GBBO and the Great Pottery Throw Down. There's a forum here if you want to discuss the show!

• Love 4

I didn't catch it when it first aired during the summer but the episodes are currently on repeat and on the iPlayer: Flour Power

Its a very simple, homely show where work collegues compete against each other. They produce one bake at home for a bake sale. The first episode features employees from a vetinary practice, so everyone who wanted a few more "juicy" stories out of Rosie will get them there 😄

The original Just Like Mom show was a good show - not to be compared to the new version: Just Like Mom and Dad lol  Also another favorite 'cooking show' is Come Dine with Me Canada. Wish they would bring this show back on the air.

If you're looking for a British feel good show, I highly recommend "The Repair Shop". I adore this show, & for the first time it's on Netflix. It's not a cooking or any kind of competition show. It's about people bringing family heirlooms or items that mean a lot to them to the repair shop that is located in the Weald and Downland Living Museum, & the experts that work there repair the items. They repair art, clocks, all sorts of mechanical things. furniture, all sorts of things, & I'm so glad I will be able to finally see good versions of some of the shows. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GaT said:

If you're looking for a British feel good show, I highly recommend "The Repair Shop".

I love that show, so many talented people! Dunno why Jay is still around as he does not do much work and isn't even in all of the client meetings anymore. The way all the experts, especially the adorable teddy bear ladies, handle their items (or plush-patients) even when the clients are not around shows such a deep understanding of their work what the items mean to their owners.

For me, that show isn't just about the crafts though, I enjoy all the lovely personalities and the interactions between people. I was convinced in the first series that there was a romance brewing between clock expert Steve and the lovely ceramics lady Kirsten. (She is married though and there has been less interaction between them in later series, so I wonder if someone has had a word) Also love Steve's sister - she is a doll and it broke my heart when she repaired that rocking horse that took her back too loosing her husband. Gotta ship Brenton and Susie now ("can you make me a new heart?")

People on Twitter, of course, love Dom and Will.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Aulty said:

I love that show, so many talented people! Dunno why Jay is still around as he does not do much work and isn't even in all of the client meetings anymore. The way all the experts, especially the adorable teddy bear ladies, handle their items (or plush-patients) even when the clients are not around shows such a deep understanding of their work what the items mean to their owners.

The skill & care that everyone has for the items is the best, Kirsten & Lucia are my favorites to watch, so incredibly talented. I'm hoping that it's successful on Netflix so that they'll get all the old seasons & any new seasons they film. I've had to watch everything on YouTube or DailyMotion, so it will be nice to see episodes in good quality for a change.

• Love 2

The Repair Shop is always good for a nice sentimental cry! 

I enjoy all the crafts people (and Steve's mechanical wizardry never fails to amaze) but I'm truly in love with Will. Alas, we are destined to be apart.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GaT said:

If you're looking for a British feel good show, I highly recommend "The Repair Shop". I adore this show, & for the first time it's on Netflix. It's not a cooking or any kind of competition show. It's about people bringing family heirlooms or items that mean a lot to them to the repair shop that is located in the Weald and Downland Living Museum, & the experts that work there repair the items. They repair art, clocks, all sorts of mechanical things. furniture, all sorts of things, & I'm so glad I will be able to finally see good versions of some of the shows. 

I just watched episode 1 and have to say thanks for the recommendation! What a perfectly delightful and interesting show! I will recommend it to my friends. It’s so unique and impressive. If I’m not careful, I could binge watch this show today. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I just watched episode 1 and have to say thanks for the recommendation! What a perfectly delightful and interesting show! I will recommend it to my friends. It’s so unique and impressive. If I’m not careful, I could binge watch this show today. 

I'm glad to hear you like it!

The second series of 'Best Home Cook' with Mary Berry will kick off on BBC 1 on Thursday 2nd of January.

Angela Hartnett will replace Dan Doherty, who has been dropped amid sexual misconduct allegations, on the judging panel.

• Love 2

New show alert! There's a floral competition show called The Big Flower Fight airing on Netflix. There are teams of two people who build different sculptures out of flowers and plants. I just started watching it and I hope that it's a good replacement for The Big Allotment Challenge. There's a forum here if you want to discuss it!

• Love 1

I see there was talk of Zumbo's Just Desserts on a previous page but in case you missed, it, Netflix brought it back for a second season.  It was cancelled after its first but I guess it must have performed well enough on Netflix for them to bring it back. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I see there was talk of Zumbo's Just Desserts on a previous page but in case you missed, it, Netflix brought it back for a second season.  It was cancelled after its first but I guess it must have performed well enough on Netflix for them to bring it back. 

They should have left it cancelld.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

New show alert! There's a floral competition show called The Big Flower Fight airing on Netflix. There are teams of two people who build different sculptures out of flowers and plants. I just started watching it and I hope that it's a good replacement for The Big Allotment Challenge. There's a forum here if you want to discuss it!

I watched it, but I was kind of disappointed. I think part of the problem was the challenges were all too big, I didn't feel like they were creating things with flowers, I felt like they were creating sculptures. I like The Big Allotment Challenge much better, I really miss that show 😟

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, GaT said:

I bet you haven't seen the entire 2nd season

I have.  I actually watched it when it came out. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Edited by Irlandesa
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I have.  I actually watched it when it came out. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

I'm going to put this in spoiler

Spoiler

I can't remember anybody's name, but the winner was so clearly a producer setup. The judge gave her a 10 because that was the only way she would win, when it was very clear that her dessert did not deserve a 10. The other contestant should have won. It made me so angry that I won't be watching if there's another season, & I gave it a thumbs down.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, khyber said:

Bake off Professionals just started. Cherish didn't pull out the ruler yet.

I can't watch that - it annoys me to no end. I sat through Creme de la creme, but snapped halfway through the first Professionals series.  The Viennoiserie episodes were the only ones that. I'd rather eat two wonky croissants than some abstract mousse skulpture with 17 layers - also the slogan on my family crest

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 1

A new season of Interior Design Masters started last night on the BBC. The first season is on Netflix so I assume its only a matter of time until they add the second one too. Its now hosted by Chatty Man Alan Carr.

A new garden design show will also start this week. Your Garden Made Perfect is a spin-off of the popular interior design show Your Home Made Perfect (afaik its on Hulu) where they give people a chance to preview designs in virtual reality.

I highly recommend Blown Away on Netflix. It's a competition show creating glass blown art. Glass blowing is fascinating to watch due to the fragility of their pieces, how physically demanding creating a piece is and the hostile environment (using ovens that are 2,400 degrees F to create art). It's a competition show and includes highly accomplished glass blowers from around world. The contestants are all very committed to their art and have spent years/decades perfecting their craft. It is filmed in Canada and has 2 seasons so far on Netflix.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, UpNorth Whino said:

I highly recommend Blown Away on Netflix. It's a competition show creating glass blown art. Glass blowing is fascinating to watch due to the fragility of their pieces, how physically demanding creating a piece is and the hostile environment (using ovens that are 2,400 degrees F to create art). It's a competition show and includes highly accomplished glass blowers from around world. The contestants are all very committed to their art and have spent years/decades perfecting their craft. It is filmed in Canada and has 2 seasons so far on Netflix.

I’ve just gotten into this show. It is fascinating! And I like that the episodes are about 30 minutes in length. So I download a couple of episodes to my iPad and watch at the gym while on the stair master. The pieces they create are amazing.

• Love 1