Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Gosselin: Kate + Hate

I can't imagine having 6 babies (a couple with special needs, yes?) and 2 other young children.  Neither can most people which is why she keeps getting specials and another series.  We got to watch how she coped, warts and all, when they were little,  I, for one would be interested to see the dynamic of that family now.  And I'm not a Kate fan, nor did I ever see more than a handful of Kate plus Eight episodes.

• Love 2

I'm not aware Kate was photographed hitting her children with a wooden spoon.  I did read that book by Robert Hoffman, though, and that was one of the things he alleged.  On the other hand, Hoffman was Jon's friend, and I don't think he was unbiased.  Kate WAS verbally abusive to Jon on the show.  I might have done worse if I'd had to put up with his cluelessness.  I just don't think she's as bad as people make her out to be, but then I don't know her in real life.  I also believe Kate was stuck in a pressure cooker due to the demands of filming and personal appearances, along with having 8 kids and a childish husband. 

Hoffman said that Jon moved into the apartment over the garage once the marriage unraveled.  I don't recall him claiming that bodyguard Steve was sleeping upstairs with Kate while Jon was in the basement.

One thing for sure, though, Kate is polarizing.  People either like her or absolutely hate her.

This.  I didn't even follow her regularly but the levels of vitriol with which she is regarded are....let's just say I get why she needed a bodyguard

I can't imagine having 6 babies (a couple with special needs, yes?) and 2 other young children.  Neither can most people which is why she keeps getting specials and another series.  We got to watch how she coped, warts and all, when they were little,  I, for one would be interested to see the dynamic of that family now.  And I'm not a Kate fan, nor did I ever see more than a handful of Kate plus Eight episodes.

I can't imagine having to singly parent 8 people, put our lives on camera and not have any moments of parental frustration.   I admit that I watched their show when the kids were super small - a line she said about their birthday stuck out  - she was going to have 6 two year olds and 2 six year olds.  Then I didn't really watch the show for a while.  And then I saw an episode last night.  So I'm certainly no expert on her mothering skills but I will say that for having 8 well behaved polite children, well except for mady, she's kind of an asshole, you'd have no choice but to have to have organization skills and be a type A personality.   Unless there is a ton of stuff I missed in the gap when I wasn't watching, I also don't get where the impression of exploitation of the kids comes from.   At a point in the very near future, she's going to have to kick out north of a million dollars for the one year in college when they all overlap.  Is she supposed to get it from that whiny punkass no job having ex husband of hers?  Again, my observation has been brief and scant but I what I've seen is a woman who constantly stays engaged with her kids, their interests, friends and milestones.  If the trade off that is she's hypersensitive about organization, I'll take it.   If Jon thought she was so detrimental, I guess he could always file for full if not equally shared custody though lol.

• Love 6

This.  I didn't even follow her regularly but the levels of vitriol with which she is regarded are....let's just say I get why she needed a bodyguard

I can't imagine having to singly parent 8 people, put our lives on camera and not have any moments of parental frustration.   I admit that I watched their show when the kids were super small - a line she said about their birthday stuck out  - she was going to have 6 two year olds and 2 six year olds.  Then I didn't really watch the show for a while.  And then I saw an episode last night.  So I'm certainly no expert on her mothering skills but I will say that for having 8 well behaved polite children, well except for mady, she's kind of an asshole, you'd have no choice but to have to have organization skills and be a type A personality.   Unless there is a ton of stuff I missed in the gap when I wasn't watching, I also don't get where the impression of exploitation of the kids comes from.   At a point in the very near future, she's going to have to kick out north of a million dollars for the one year in college when they all overlap.  Is she supposed to get it from that whiny punkass no job having ex husband of hers?  Again, my observation has been brief and scant but I what I've seen is a woman who constantly stays engaged with her kids, their interests, friends and milestones.  If the trade off that is she's hypersensitive about organization, I'll take it.   If Jon thought she was so detrimental, I guess he could always file for full if not equally shared custody though lol.

Maybe she should have wondered how she and Jon were going to support all those kids and send them to college BEFORE she decided to have them.  And if Jon was a whiny punk ass,, well she chose him.. allegedly because she wanted Asian looking children.  No sympathy for her from me. She got lots of freebies over the years and still gets them. She just thinks she deserves more. And from what I've heard her say, the kids schooling expenses are all arranged for. Whether it was thru scholarships from schools themselves or from monies the kids earned from the show I don't know.

• Love 9

Maybe but the point I'm making is being and remaining on a show that depicts their everyday lives does not a Kris Kardashian make.  Bath times and birthday parties aren't shutting down the internet. 

They chose each other actually, twice, if the vow renewal ceremony was any indication.   

As to freebies and scholarships, good for her.  It's not costing me a dime.

• Love 3

She's getting an amazingly good edit on this show.

I think she played it meek, and the show ran with her in the oppressed role.  She's been helped along by the likes of Kenya and Vivica trying to use her as a scapegoat, which has backfired on them somewhat (even if it didn't lead to them getting the boot either).

• Love 1

Maybe she should have wondered how she and Jon were going to support all those kids and send them to college BEFORE she decided to have them.  And if Jon was a whiny punk ass,, well she chose him.. allegedly because she wanted Asian looking children.

Jon participated in choosing to have 8 kids too. He also participated in the choice to quit his job and go the reality show route. Why do moms always take all the blame when things go bad?

• Love 5

I watched their show for a long time.  She's a horrible mom and person.  She also has some psych issues that need intervention.  And she didn't do it alone - they had help, even from the beginning.  They got nannies once the TLC dough started rolling in.  They couldn't hold onto the nannies because of the way Kate treated them and the kids.  She is a horrible person.  Maddie isn't an asshole.  She's a kid, and one that grew up in a dysfunctional home with an overly controlling and self absorbed mother.  Those kids deserved better than what they got.  Are they polite or cowed into submission?  Polite doesn't mean they were raised well.  Yes sir and yes ma'am can hide years of emotional abuse.

Trump always goes to her quickly because he knows she is quick to throw anyone under the bus.  She makes for good Celeb Apprentice.  

• Love 6

I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen.  We see it differently.  That's ok.    Being a single mom referred to what I see on screen today.  I wouldn't begrudge anybody help with their kids. 

When I take my kid to her pede's appointment and it involves getting a shot, something she is very vocal about objecting to, it could be said that when she leaves there fully innoculated from the measles, I have cowed her into submission.  I think that's very specific to the observer.  One mom's cowing is another's cajoled.  I haven't seen her do this and I'm not saying she hasn't, I'm saying I haven't seen it.   Polite may not mean they were raised well but it does mean they are well mannered and like all their other skills, they learned that somewhere.   As far as Maddie goes, I'm not in the convincing business so I'm not here to change your opinion, she is to me what Kate is to you, a constantly petulant and rude little girl.  By contrast I don't even know what Kara's voice sounds like, but the only time her sister opens her mouth it's to say something in the shittiest tone possible.  Being a child and being an asshole aren't mutually exclusive.  To me.

• Love 2

I'm with you on the Maddie issue, ZW.  She was insufferable from the first moment she appeared on screen, and seemingly hasn't changed much in the intervening years.  Kate was constantly making excuses for Maddie's bad behavior, too, while practically ignoring Kara.

I actually liked Kate at the beginning of her show, but that changed, too.

• Love 1

Maybe but the point I'm making is being and remaining on a show that depicts their everyday lives does not a Kris Kardashian make.  Bath times and birthday parties aren't shutting down the internet. 

They chose each other actually, twice, if the vow renewal ceremony was any indication.   

As to freebies and scholarships, good for her.  It's not costing me a dime.

The vow renewal was nothing more than a free trip, not a true vow renewal. If you watch it, Maddie is very upset about her parents divorcing and Kate reassures her that they are not. Later on, both admitted that they were no longer a couple when they went to Hawaii. Kate was making sure that the gravy train keep rolling. You could tell at that time that those two hated each other. Look at the shows.
  • Love 2

The vow renewal was nothing more than a free trip, not a true vow renewal. If you watch it, Maddie is very upset about her parents divorcing and Kate reassures her that they are not. Later on, both admitted that they were no longer a couple when they went to Hawaii. Kate was making sure that the gravy train keep rolling. You could tell at that time that those two hated each other. Look at the shows.

Yeah, that vow renewal was one of the biggest shams in reality show history! Kate kept telling the kids, "This means that your dad and I will be together forever and ever!" or some other nausea-inducing lie. What a liar she was (is). I truly don't think Jon wanted any part of it, but I could be wrong.

• Love 3

I am getting soooo impatient for Kate to show her true narcissistic, sociopathic colors. The editing must be so in her favor. Then again, there seems to be no shortage of narcissists on this show so maybe it's a matter of degree.

Never said he was sleeping with Kate at that house.  Just that Jon was in the basement and Steve was sleeping upstairs.  Robert was first assigned to report of the circus called the Gosselins.  I know that he has stated that they were friends.  Kate did beat those children and it was photographed.  Either way, Kate is a sorry excuse of a human being and even worse as a parent.  Ask anyone who had the misfortune of being around her.  

The marriage had been over prior to the move to the McMansion.  In the episode where it was first shown, her remarks were "It's mine ALL mine".  Don't forget how she went off about the bedroom being her bedroom and no one was to enter.  There is a very long list of things.  As I said, TLC did a great job in whitewashing their sorry asses, mostly hers.

Why did the WHOLE camera crew walk out of the house the night that the "gum gate" incident happened?  Let's not forget about the pinching she did to one of the children on a talk show or even what she did to Maddy when Maddy was thirsty.  All of that video has been released.

She and Jon both put their own small children to work so their sorry asses could reap the benefits.  

Very well said!

One mom's cowing is another's cajoled.  I haven't seen her do this and I'm not saying she hasn't, I'm saying I haven't seen it.   Polite may not mean they were raised well but it does mean they are well mannered and like all their other skills, they learned that somewhere.   As far as Maddie goes, I'm not in the convincing business so I'm not here to change your opinion, she is to me what Kate is to you, a constantly petulant and rude little girl.  By contrast I don't even know what Kara's voice sounds like, but the only time her sister opens her mouth it's to say something in the shittiest tone possible.  Being a child and being an asshole aren't mutually exclusive.  To me.

I am thinking about their birthday parties not their pediatrician or dental visits.

Having 6 babies thrown into your life along with cameras can be highly disturbing to a child and can make them act out. A lot. Can make them petulant. Resentful.  Attention seeking.  Withdrawn.  All sorts of things.  Even having one baby in a house can change the dynamic dramatically.   I would think one of the biggest factors in having a child acting out would be having parents who aren't seeing to their needs.  

• Love 1

A long time ago, I read a magazine article about Kate and Jon and their decision to have kids.  Since then, I've paid little attention to them outside of a TV show that featured "the gang" on a vacation.  Everything I saw in magazines or gossip rags made it sound like Kate was the worst woman to live on the face of the earth.  I decided to watch this show because I wanted to see how Brandi did, and I was interested in seeing Kate "in the flesh."  Who was this woman who had received so much publicity (and had apparently liked it)?

I still can't say whether or not I "like" Kate, but I do know that she's mighty adept at handling herself in tough situations.  From her side glances and shots of her thinking, I get the feeling that Kate is far more intelligent than I ever gave her credit for being.  Her instincts are amazing, and she can size up a situation very quickly.  She seems to have an innate ability to sense what will sell and what will not.  Once she determines which way the wind is blowing and what her role in the task should be, she's all business and goes at a chore full steam ahead.  One thing I know for certain about Kate is that I would want her on my team.  She's a go-getter who gets things done!

My impression is that Kate is a tough cookie without necessarily acting tough.  Is she a nice person?  I still can't say.  I haven't seen her in casual situations enough to tell.  It will be interesting, as the field of contestants narrows and the chores become more difficult, to see how Kate performs.  Unless it's a clear-cut case of a glaring error, I don't see Kate going down without a fight.  If nothing else, Kate seems like a determined woman who knows where she's going.

• Love 2

A long time ago, I read a magazine article about Kate and Jon and their decision to have kids.  Since then, I've paid little attention to them outside of a TV show that featured "the gang" on a vacation.  Everything I saw in magazines or gossip rags made it sound like Kate was the worst woman to live on the face of the earth.  I decided to watch this show because I wanted to see how Brandi did, and I was interested in seeing Kate "in the flesh."  Who was this woman who had received so much publicity (and had apparently liked it)?

I still can't say whether or not I "like" Kate, but I do know that she's mighty adept at handling herself in tough situations.  From her side glances and shots of her thinking, I get the feeling that Kate is far more intelligent than I ever gave her credit for being.  Her instincts are amazing, and she can size up a situation very quickly.  She seems to have an innate ability to sense what will sell and what will not.  Once she determines which way the wind is blowing and what her role in the task should be, she's all business and goes at a chore full steam ahead.  One thing I know for certain about Kate is that I would want her on my team.  She's a go-getter who gets things done!

My impression is that Kate is a tough cookie without necessarily acting tough.  Is she a nice person?  I still can't say.  I haven't seen her in casual situations enough to tell.  It will be interesting, as the field of contestants narrows and the chores become more difficult, to see how Kate performs.  Unless it's a clear-cut case of a glaring error, I don't see Kate going down without a fight.  If nothing else, Kate seems like a determined woman who knows where she's going.

I think she was eliminated.

Slensam, I think you're right.  In fact, I know you're right!  We had to record this show, and my husband insisted that we HAD to watch it way past 1 a.m. the next night -- right after I had to take two pain pills.  I was aware and unaware of the show and should have watched it again the next night.  But I didn't.  And Sig went home?

Edited by Lura

I think Kate's wily, but she's no match for some of the others on this show.  I think she could have outsmarted Johnny and Ian, but on her own team, she had to go after Vivica, and she didn't.  She just let it be "girl drama."  She should've said, "Kenya was right, there were children items available at BB&B, they shouldn't have wasted time to get food and make the last stop, I needed them here for Kenya's luxury experience."  But she thought she was in the clear.  Trump needed a scapegoat and she wasn't giving a clear reason.  Kenya's texts weren't enough since Kenya was a drama bringer on both teams.

• Love 2

I have followed Kate Gosselin from the start ( I'm not proud of it, it is the 'can't help staring at a car wreck syndrome' ).

I will admit that if all I had seen her on was CA, she came off looking fairly benign. I think she benefited greatly from the editing. My opinion of her is based on  Kate Plus 8, DWTS, various interviews and CA. Taking it all into account she still comes across as a narcissistic, vile person to me.

• Love 2

The one I can't tolerate is Kenya.  What an opinion of herself she has!  I know that many beauty pageant contestants and star wannabes have plastic surgery, but she looks so fake to me that I wonder how many things she's had done.  Every time she opens her mouth, she goes down a notch with me.  That doofus song she sang on the cruise sounded like something written by a second grader -- no, make that a kindergartner.  Then, when she started writhing on the deck, I wished someone would come out with a cane, hook it around her neck, and DRAG HER OFF!!!  Her favorite expression seems to be a smile that turns into a sneer.  Mean girl! 

Trump has been tap dancing, just waiting for a showdown, probably between two or more of the females.  In the meantime, I'm still asking the same question I keep asking:  When is Geraldo leaving?  Is Trump actually going to allow his friend to win the whole show?

• Love 2