Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Paradise Lost

I thought that the episode was ok..but miles and miles better then the previous ones!!...loved watching the two witnesses working together it honestly felt like S1 for a few minutes....until Katrina, can't the writers just get rid of her already. And please give me a badass Headless!!!

Orion was alright, but I kind of have my fill of angels from supernatural...but he was an improvement over the CFD Henry saga

So, let me get this straight Hawley is now into Jenny AGAIN...WTF when did that happen?... I wish that Jenny would have said something about him lusting after her sister!!...He's another person that just needs to go.

Irving is back!!...so happy about that...now let's see where the writers are going to take him

• Love 2

I thought it looked like Irving had crawled out of the Earth, like after being buried.

He's the new Buffy! Or a vampire. Or a zombie!

When Orion was all "And I'll kill the witch as well!"  I was thinking "Ok, this dude can stick around..."  But seriously, I wish he was a good guy.  Seems like every supernatural person they encounter is eeevil.

And Hawley, you don't get to be jealous of Jenny looking foxy and hitting on other guys when you were trying to eye f*ck her sister only a few weeks ago.

Word on both counts. I was all for someone wanting to get rid of Katrina - finally a character who is on my side!

As for Hawley's confession, I just rolled my eyes. Quit going back and forth between them and leave both the Mills sisters alone. You can keep providing artifacts and shooting demons though.

I see that in her six weeks away from Ichabod, Katrina managed to lose that ugly pinkish greyish corset but also found Ye Olde Corset Shoppe in Sleepy Hollow so she could replace it with a black one.

It's amazing how much more charismatic Abraham is when he doesn't have a head.

ITA - the actor portraying Headless does so much with his body language. As soon as we switch to the actor playing Abraham, he turns into a whiny pouter.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

I'm just so so sick of the whole "redemption" theme. Half the season was spent on the subject of Henry's redemption. Now that he's disappeared it's lather, rinse, repeat with Abraham. The irony is that neither person deserves redemption and the one man who does --Irving-- probably won't get the opportunity because they've run the redemption plot into the ground and probably won't risk a third go-round at the Wheel of Redemption.  It would be so much more interesting to let evil people just be evil. Plus it's obvious the whole redemption arc is just a way of keeping Katrina front and center in the plot. Ichabbie continually have to go around and through her in order to make headway in their battle against evil which ensures they can never take decisive, proactive measures to avert another war. It's tired, It's annoying. Please kill Katrina off so this show can go in a better direction.

Abraham's redemption plot makes no sense. Katrina mentioned separating him from the avatar of death but didn't they establish with Henry that the person controls the avatar - not the other way around? That means Abraham is fully in control of his actions when he goes about taking the heads of people, including Corbin, It has already been established that Corbin was everything to Abbie and his death was devastating. To have Abbie make concessions and even align herself with Abraham/Headless is a complete, and lazy, betrayal of her character and it's very obviously being done to  hammer home the new theme "Katrina is right, Abbie is wrong." Once they separate Abraham from Death what are they going to do about his head? I suspect they will trot out the forgotten Kindred to take his head back.

Watching this episode made me realize just how much of my dislike for Katrina is due to the actress. I cannot stand the persistent urgent murmur that passes for her line readings. I found myself fast-fowarding through the DVR during her scenes. I probably missed something important and I don't even care.

I love Orion. It was nice to see --even briefly-- someone unequivocally be on Abbie's side without her having to argue her case but of course he was going to be evil. The Crane's must always be right and Abbie wrong. I was rooting for Orion to off Katrina and Abraham. I knew it wouldn't happen but that I felt so hopeful is not a good sign for this show. I suspected they would under-serve this character and was right. What is the rush with this show? Let Orion be badass and useful for a couple of episodes before establishing his motives and taking away his weapon.I hope the character returns and becomes a regular/.

Hawley and Jenny are getting some of the shittiest character development I've ever scene on TV. Their entire relationship is "tell" instead of "show". It was established very clearly during the season's first half that Hawley was into Abbie. Matt Barr did a great job telegraphing Hawley's affections. The show established via the Succubus that Hawley clearly desired Abbie. I knew from reading interviews that they decided not to pursue an Abbie/Hawley pairing but in no way have they laid the groundwork for Hawley rekindling the flame with Jenny. We didn't get any meaningful looks and there has been no flirtation or banter between Hawley and Jenny that suggested he was into her again. In 1.5 seasons we don't even know where Jenny lives or how she bides her time so it seemed particularly weird to have her randomly show up at a bar in a miniskirt ready to throw herself at some random bartender. There is no build up to the rekindling. Hawley simply says "Yeah, I still like you" or something and the writers have covered their plot change just like that, It's such laughably bad writing. I hope Matt Barr's pilot gets picked up and that he runs fast and far. I like him as an actor and I'm sure every time he picks up his script he is scratching his head at the writer's intentions for his character.

• Love 7

Another episode, another opportunity to depict Abbie as a loser and for the Cranes to be rewarded for their selfishness. The only thing that counts for them is whoever they decide to love any given day. This time it's Abraham, although he was originally dumped and betrayed by these two assholes, which goes to show the real value of their "love". Give me a break!

Since the Great Redeemer is here to save the day, what use are the Witnesses anyway? Crane is just his wife's yes-man and Abbie is permanently in the wrong for going against the golden couple, complete with apologies and acknowledgment of Katrina's superiority, but then this is the kind of show, that insults my intelligence by turning Abbie, once a well-rounded, compassionate, intelligent and competent character, into a pale shadow of her former self. Pathetic.

The Abbie I know would have stood up for the victims, would have reminded the Cranes that Abraham chose to be Death and would have remembered and paid homage to Frank. I don't remember who said Abbie wouldn't be so quick to kill Abraham if he was her friend, but I don't care, because both Cranes are a unity of pure suckiness. Had Abbie been written in character, she would have reminded those jerks, how she killed her most trusted partner and friend twice. Why wasn't Andy worthy of redemption, when he wasn't half as awful as Henry or Abraham? She would have told the Mediocranes (thanks, Tumblr!), that she and her sister were ready to send their own mother to hell, had she been the cause of those deaths. Instead, she let them bully her into silence, because the Cranes had to be the real heroes once again.

So she's forever the loser, no matter how hard she fights, because who needs her, when you have the most perfect snowflake breathy whispering to their foes and convincing them to stop killing.

As for Hawley and his gross pursuit of Jenny, it looks like this episode was written by the same creep, who fetishised the hell out of Lyndie Greenwood during Comic Con, so suddenly everything about those weird scenes makes sense. Sorry, but Hawley and his jumping from Abbie to Jennie, even though his heart desire is the former, is beyond gross.

• Love 7

I am very close to being done with this show. I hate Katrina and the show is turning too much into Supernatural for me. I loved this show in the first season so much, but now it just seems a mess. I'm glad Irving is alive, but I don't know if even he can redeem things for me now.

• Love 6

Watching this episode made me realize just how much of my dislike for Katrina is due to the actress. I cannot stand the persistent urgent murmur that passes for her line readings. I found myself fast-fowarding through the DVR during her scenes. I probably missed something important and I don't even care.

"Persistent urgent murmur" is it exactly!  And virtually no change in her facial expressions--she moves her eyes around a little.  She's really not very good and TBTB's seeming devotion to the actress is, to me, only explainable as a Matt Weiner-Jessica Pare-type of crush.

• Love 9

"Persistent urgent murmur" is it exactly!  And virtually no change in her facial expressions--she moves her eyes around a little.  She's really not very good and TBTB's seeming devotion to the actress is, to me, only explainable as a Matt Weiner-Jessica Pare-type of crush.

Don't forget her lack of body language. It's not like she's the only blank actress out there, but her lack of any type acting or stage presence make her the actual worst. She's the whole package.

• Love 5

Should I side with the fanatic zealot or the other murderer?

I was rooting for the zealot, because the other guy was played out. The zealot would give everybody something new to do.

This episode was a placeholder, a breath between the first half and what I assume will be the new plot of the second half. Nothing actually happened. We met a new player, learned that an old player was still with us, and Katrina got a new corset. I don't know if the writers knew that this episode would be aired after the break but before another week off, but it sure played as if they did.

• Love 5

The hilarious thing is that when Orion and Headless were fighting, I thought ehhhhh, I'm not really sure who to root for/against. Should I side with the fanatic zealot or the other murderer?

Zealot because he was handsome and I am shallow.

• Love 10

She's sticking to the skinny jeans and corset look I see, I guess because it's just so damn comfortable?.

I guess Katrina's been shopping at Goths R Us.  Although as an 18th century woman used to wearing stays, a corset is probably more comfortable to her than a bra would be, even if 18th century stays were somewhat different from the Victorian-inspired corsets she's wearing now and, of course, were UNDERGARMENTS.  So I guess her clothing ended up annoying me less than it originally did.  But could they really not make her wig in a shade of red actually found in nature?  (And I say that as someone whose own red hair comes from a box.)

• Love 1

My problem with Katrina's hair and clothing is that when we met her she was a Quaker woman, all about simplicity, and now she's all hair dye and attention grabbing clothes. If the writers had made her shedding her Quaker simplicity as her witch powers grew, that would have been fine. But they clearly just ditched it, which is lazy.

• Love 7

This was a fairly good episode.  if I wasn't so poised each episode to be disappointed and annoyed by Katrina I think i might have enjoyed it more.  As it is,  I can't just sit back and relax into Sleepy Hollow anymore.  But still, not bad.

The good:

The Abbie & Ich moments

Abbie being the voice of reason, as usual.

The pacing, the story seemed to move at least and this felt like a good Myth-Arc episode

Orion

Orion's hateration on Katrina and Headless

Abbie's list o' questions to Orion about God and Heaven.  And Dinosaurs.

IRVING.  But man he looked like a drunk on a five week bender.  I guess he didn't Rest In Peace.

The Odd:

- Jenny & Hawley's scenes  - these felt weird and off, like they were in an entirely different show.  Also felt like they were filmed and edited in later when the writers decided against Abbie/Hawley.

- Katrina's newest wig. it wasn't bad as some of them, at least she had a forehead.  But it was darker -- foreshadowing her move to eeeevil perhaps?

The Sigh:

- Headless' redemption arc.  Not interested at all in this.

-Headless with a Head.  So over it.

- Soapy Hollow.  Abbie has become Dear Abbie advising ichabod to talk to his wife and listening to his marriage woes

- No subltely.  why not let Orion be a little more ambiguous?  I like the idea of him being a Zealot, and maybe a little too intense for Ichabod and Abbie to be wholly comfortable with, but they went overboard into the 'I want his power for my own and plan to raze Sleepy Hollow to the ground' business.  The writers can't finesse a narrative to save their lives.

- The Ichabod/Katrina marriage woes & the Hawley/Jenny relationship woes...even if they are woes... just highlight the fact that Abbie has no life outside of Ichabod & being a witness.  It is a sad.  I love that she is a warrior and soldier...yes!  But she is also a woman.  Katrina is always presented like she was conceived by a comic book fanboy/romance novelist hybrid.  Jenny was in a nice skirt and she was looking very pretty.  In this one episode they are both presented as sexual women with heightened feminine allure.  And yet Abbie feels almost asexual in contrast.  Why couldn't this six week downtime have given Abbie a chance to let her hair down?  Why couldn't we have seen her flirting in the bar wearing a dress?  It didn't have to be something huge or significant, but a glimpse of something.  So that when the craziness starts up again, we see her once again assemble her mantle of responsibility and we feel a little bit of loss for her?

The Bad:

- Katia Winter seemed even more wooden than normal.  There was one point when either Headless or Ichabod was talking to her and she really should have been telegraphing...something.... with her facial expression but she wasn't.  It just felt like she was waiting for them to finish their lines so she could recite hers.

- Once again Ichabod shown in he middle of and mediating an argument bt Abbie & Katrina.  Sends a terrible message, imo showing the women fighting for his approval & support.

- -Orion's non-answers to Abbie's questions about God and Heaven.  And Dinosaurs.  The writers don't have their own mythology figured out and obviously don't have the intestinal fortitude to go there with real biblical stuff so this felt like a cop out.

• Love 9

Hawley and Jenny are getting some of the shittiest character development I've ever scene on TV. Their entire relationship is "tell" instead of "show". It was established very clearly during the season's first half that Hawley was into Abbie. Matt Barr did a great job telegraphing Hawley's affections. The show established via the Succubus that Hawley clearly desired Abbie. I knew from reading interviews that they decided not to pursue an Abbie/Hawley pairing but in no way have they laid the groundwork for Hawley rekindling the flame with Jenny. We didn't get any meaningful looks and there has been no flirtation or banter between Hawley and Jenny that suggested he was into her again. In 1.5 seasons we don't even know where Jenny lives or how she bides her time so it seemed particularly weird to have her randomly show up at a bar in a miniskirt ready to throw herself at some random bartender. There is no build up to the rekindling. Hawley simply says "Yeah, I still like you" or something and the writers have covered their plot change just like that, It's such laughably bad writing. I hope Matt Barr's pilot gets picked up and that he runs fast and far. I like him as an actor and I'm sure every time he picks up his script he is scratching his head at the writer's intentions for his character.

Totally agree.  This was a total 180 from his character.  Him getting jealous over Jenny and suddenly having feelings for her were a WTF moment for me.  He has been totally crushing on Abbie since he came on the scene and I could feel his angst towards her and now all of sudden out of nowhere that doesn't exist anymore and he's all about Jenny?  I'm sad they scrapped the Abbie/Hawley relationship, but also understand that there was some ickiness there because of his past with Jenny.  Fine.  But build up the switch to Jenny.

I don't think we've seen the last of Orion, especially since they made sure that we noticed that Abbie still has his "calling" card.

CFD - don't care.  Although I would like for Ichabod to stay madder at his wife then 5 minutes.  She made a decision by herself to free headless that could've had some serious repercussions since he went into cahoots with those evil looking things as soon as he was freed.  I don't trust him.

Yay for Irving.  I wonder if he's actually human though?  If so, I still want him and Jenny to be together.  I don't see Hawley sticking around for ever.

I love Orion. It was nice to see --even briefly-- someone unequivocally be on Abbie's side without her having to argue her case but of course he was going to be evil. The Crane's must always be right and Abbie wrong. I was rooting for Orion to off Katrina and Abraham. I knew it wouldn't happen but that I felt so hopeful is not a good sign for this show. I suspected they would under-serve this character and was right. What is the rush with this show? Let Orion be badass and useful for a couple of episodes before establishing his motives and taking away his weapon.I hope the character returns and becomes a regular/.

#BringBackOrion and lose the witch.  

• Love 2
Yay for Irving.  I wonder if he's actually human though?  If so, I still want him and Jenny to be together.  I don't see Hawley sticking around for ever.

Yeah I was thinking Frank must be undead like Andy, not alive. I'm interested to see where they're going with that.

I thought the director was making some weird choices in this episode. Some of the camera angles were so weird and artsy that I had a hard time even concentrating on what was happening. Like in one scene they kept showing Ichabod through a fence of some sort, but then it would change to the viewpoint of the second camera, and there was no fence. It kept flashing back and forth. Fence. No fence. Fence. All I could think about was the damn fence (or whatever it was) and I have no idea what they were talking about.

The first 5 or 10 minutes were refreshing in that it felt like the characters were getting a minute to breathe before all the action started back up again. It was a nice change of pace.

Not to defend Katrina, but it actually isn't that hard to lace ones self into a corset, especially if it has stays in the front. She probably just loosens the ties in the back and and opens the stays. The ties can be tightened again without help as long as they are laced in a certain way. A properly fitting corset can actually be comfortable. Source: I'm a former Ren Faire actor and owner of 2 steel boned corsets.

Plus, she's probably used to the corsets, I mean she's worn them for over 200 years. 

Did the 'six weeks' of passing time have any meaning?

During the Hawley and Jenny scenes, he had that egg that they smashed to get to the glowing sphere, was that actually used in this episode? What did that glowing sphere thing do?

It seemed like th Hawley Jenny scenes were from an entirely different show.

One thing I do appreciate about Hawley, which makes me like him over the other two annoying characters that need to leave the show, he's always on the side of Jenny and Abbie and willing to help.

I was hoping that when Orion said he was in purgatory at the same time as Katrina, he had some dirt on her in there.

It did seem like she was a bit nervous, a lot of shots of her side-eyeing him but nothing came of it. Really disappointing as I'd loved it if he'd taken her aside and told her knows all about her tricks or heard about her shady dealings while in purgatory, something like that but instead Katrina was right about him and Abraham and even knew the nightly lottery numbers too, I don't know what we'd do without her. Wish we'd find out though!

• Love 4

I had decided not to watch but then I saw chatter about Irving's return. This episode left me with more questions for what is becoming an intolerable list of loose ends for me:

• Is Abbie now bankrolling BOTH Cranes? Katrina's at the cabin, Crane is bunking in the archives, neither has a job yet somehow they are all clothed and fed in spite of having no legitimate identification. It's bad enough that the show is trying to shove this rivalry at us but if Abbie is paying the bills for these two then that's beyond insulting. In fact, does anybody beside Abbie and Hawley have a source of income?
  • Where's Reyes? Does she know or care that Crane is living in the basement? What was the point of bringing her on to begin with? Why do none of the other cops seem to give a damn about Abbie who has now been present at the death of two of her superior officers? At this point, she should be getting all kinds of static from fellow cops.
  • Irving confesses to murder, escapes from Tarrytown and "dies" in a spectacular heroic fashion but to everyone else he was a criminal. Was there a funeral? If so, did he dig his way out of his own grave? If not, shouldn't he still be the target of a manhunt?
  • Has Headless been chained up in that tomb for six weeks?

In sci-fi/fantasy details matter but these writers seem to just not care. This show still feels like it's written by people who don't like or respect the genre.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 7

First and most importantly - Irving!

I thought it looked like Irving had crawled out of the Earth, like after being buried.

I thought he was in a tank shirt last we saw him wielding the sword of whatever.  But who cares?  Irving!

I really liked Orion - but I had expected him to be around longer and for the show to get to his true goals much later - I was disappointed at how they handled that so quickly.

ITA.  It had the potential of being an interesting storyline that evolved from what seems to be heavenly intervention into a nebulous situation and finally into a Not Good At All scene.  I'll dub this the first of 2015 Squandered Opportunities.  Plus, the character was cast well and there could be no reason for Ich to get uppity or superior with an angel on the surface.  I've grown tired of that aspect of Ich.

I also think that Goffman may have tweaked and reshot portions of this episode - Abbie's hair is a giveaway on that front... Plus, he may have learned that one way to improve Katrina's standing with fans is to voice some of the things we've been saying - her dialogue about how she and Ichabod's love was responsible for leading Abraham to being Death sounded like it was lifted directly from the boards/social media.

The dialogue I think said Abraham "chose" to become the horseman, but I recall he was cut down in the forest and the gear put on him so I don't recall him having a choice.  It irritated me because it all drives back to Ich & Katrina's relationship.  The only voice of social media I heard was "And I'll kill the witch as well!".

And I am very pissed that Katrina was too StruggleWitch to save Irving, but immediately after she's entrusted with magically containing Headless, a BAMF demon which they reinforced this ep with Orion saying the purgatory escapees were trying to find the next most powerful demon after Moloch.  And since they were keeping him chained up in the same place they had Moloch, why was additional reinforcements necessary?  To keep Katrina relevant (which they consistently fail at).

If the obsession with KW's looks continue (and to a lesser extent this ep with LG), at least shoot the scenes in a manner in which we can see the outfits.  Katrina's newest GothGirl outfit is black and most of the scenes she was in were very dark.  Jenny's sexed up outfit was slightly more noticeable, but not much.  If you are going to bother to comment upon her shoe choice, show us.

And finally, the very first word in the show is Ich saying "Katrina!" so I think this is still the CFD albeit gussied up a bit for an ep or two.  If I wanted to watch the CFD, I'd watch Frasier.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

Okay, so watched it last night and have to say, this episode was actually pretty good. I quite enjoyed it. One of the more enjoyable ones for me and I am going to rewatch it. For the record, this one was written by none other than Sleepy fan twitter basher, M. Raven Metzner. This is important because….

The Sleaze Award goes to: M. Raven Metzner, for writing a scene that has Jenny in a short tight miniskirt. I laughed when I saw it, then got really sad, because I know of the story of Metzner talking about Lyndie Greenwood at a comic com, saying how he realized how hot she was and wanted to showcase that, and then we get this scene. *le sigh*  At least the Costumer kept her covered up otherwise (thank you, Kristen Burke). And I desperately covet Lyndie Greenwood’s hair.

The Last Minute Edit due to #AbbieMillsDeservesBetter Hashtag Award goes to: Nick Hawley, who for some reason suddenly is into Jenny again, and being all cute and hinting that he wants a relationship. Didn’t we see Hawley all moon-eyed over Abbie, and turning down a Jenny who wanted to get some action (again, we see you, Metzner) earlier in this season.

The Eternal Hope Award goes to: Abbie Mills, for her desperate hope and desire for any sign from god or heaven, and her wanting a sign so desperately, she doesn’t hesitate a moment when Angel Orion shows up. Loved her asking him about if heaven really exists, what’s god like, etc. Loved the he/she and no gender part. I think Raven watched Kevin Smith’s movie Dogma while writing the script.

The Whipped by his Wife Award goes to: Ichabod Crane, for allowing himself to be kicked out of the cabin, being forced to sleep in a tiny bed (does he even fit on it?) in the Archives, yet the moment the wife comes calling, he runs to her side. *sigh* I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be pissed at this, because he essentially left Abbie alone with Orion, an unproven supernatural creature, the moment his ‘beloved’ beckoned. I’m sure the wifey could wait a few more minutes. I think that tiny bed cracked his spine, because he currently does not have one. Which leads to…

The Sneaky Passive Aggressive Award goes to: Abbie Mills, for being so sick of the Crane drama, that she didn’t even offer to put Katrina up in her own house, instead letting Ichabod himself be stuck sleeping in the Archives. She didn’t even offer to let Crane stay with her and Jenny, though if this was even hinted on, certain people would lose their minds. Good girl. Speaking of the witch…

The Smug Entitlement Award goes to: Katrina Crane, for actually uttering the words “I helped you defeat Moloch, now you will help me.” Seriously? You helped the Witnesses defeat Moloch and stop the end of the world. There are no paybacks for this one. You don’t get an IOU for serving humanity. I just don’t get it – am I supposed to like this person? The smug self-satisfied look on her face after she released Headless and Crane, Abbie and Orion are like – WTF!! – says everything. She totally reminds me of a rich spoiled woman, who stomps their Louboutin shod feet because daddy only bought them a Mercedes for their birthday, not a Porsche. Which leads to …

The Me Me Me Award also goes to: Katrina Crane, for telling Ichabod that “Henry killed Moloch for me”. Really, does everything have to be about you? Again, how selfish are you that this is what you think? Maybe, just maybe Henry had another motive. I guess it could look like that to her, but this is the same person that demon-preggied her, and hurt his mother, and she says this. Not everything is about you, Katrina. However, to give her some credit, she did claim that she was the reason Abraham was the way he was. The only moment of clarity for her, in an otherwise selfish smug mentality throughout the show.

The Sexiest Man Award goes to: Orion, aka Max Brown, for making me swoon at your beautiful British hotness. Damn. My love for Tom Mison does not go untarnished, but this man is worthy competition. Good job, casting department.

The Got Milk Award goes to: Frank Irving! He’s alive. Kinda. Sorta. FRANK! Him stumbling into the store and drinking down a gallon of milk…it totally reminded me of a scene in Gotham, where this guy comes back from the dead and needs to drink tons of milk for some reason.

The Wandering Aimless Award goes to: Ichabod Crane. I feel so bad for the guy. He is struggling with the fact that without his mission, he has no place in the world, no purpose at all, and on top of his marriage woes, he's got this on his shoulders. Dude need a vacation.

The WTF Award goes to: Katrina Crane, during the very opening scene of the episode. Did anyone else find it really strange? All four of them were lined up, tied to trees. Moloch’s gets killed, and Ichabod, Jenny and Abbie get knocked out. Ichabod wakes up, Abbie is next to him, but where is Katrina? She basically wanders into the scene, this weird look on her face, doesn’t seem to care about the status of her husband, doesn’t run to see if he’s okay, and when Ichabod hugs her, she is all stiff in response. I swear, she wasn’t knocked out, or woken earlier by Henry, and had a little conversation with him, because that whole scene was just weird and her behaviour just shady.

The Whiplash Marriage Award goes to: the Cranes. Because last episode, they were all lovey dovey, and this episode, Crane look likes he hates her, is furious with her, and next episode, we’re back to lovey dovey. *sigh* Just end the marriage already. Though I really wished we could have seen the “discussion” they had in Purgatory.

The Warden Award goes to: Moloch, who apparently was very active 200 years ago, imprisoning Katrina, Orion and probably many others in Purgatory. What happened 200+ years ago for all of this to happen.

The Shipper Bait Award goes to: whoever blocked that scene with Abbie and Ichabod talking in the Mason cell, and they are framed with candles. Beautifully shot scene, very ethereal and romantic, though not intended.

The Crazy Theory Award: goes to ME! Because I swear they are still in Purgatory. Orion claims he was freed once Moloch was killed, but that means that there are hundreds if not thousands of other people who were freed also. We saw them wandering around last season, atoning for their sins. So did these people “move on” to heaven or hell or did they just disappear? What happened to them?

Overall, I thought this was a good episode, really enjoyed it, so that’s good for once. Lots of questions, and I like that, because I am hoping that this is all deliberate and there is an endgame in play.

• Love 16

Did they show Irving shoplifing a burrito? after chugging milk looking like some random homeless dude?

That ain't right.

Yay! Irving is back!

How?

I think once Moloch got killed; all the souls that he had kept in hell got free.  That's why Orion was freed, and I think that's why Irving got freed.  That's what I think anyway.

I swear, I was getting some major flashbacks to "Buffy the vampire slayer" and "Xena, Warrior Princess" watching this great episode!  Didn't Orion's weapon look like Xena's Shakra (I think that's that name of Xena's personal weapon)?  And watching the demons in their long hooded robes definitely reminded me of many "Buffy" episodes!  Pretty cool!  I like this very much!

Orion was too good to be true.  I knew he was going to be a Dick Angel almost from the start.  Oh, hey, I just flashed on "Supernatural"!  I wonder when he'll be back to cause trouble again.  I think he's cute.  I think Abby might be able to summon him because she still got Orion's Charm.  I definitely think Orion's coming back.

I honestly don't know what is in Katrina's head to help the Headless Horseman.  Headless Horseman killed so many people and did so many bad things, he's not really worth saving.  Just kill him and let God decide whether he goes to heaven or hell.  But of course, Show wants to spice up the hot/cold relationship between Crane and Katrina.  However, as much as I despise Headless Horseman, I'm kinda glad he's still sticking around for awhile.

Whatever happened to Henry?

Things I liked:  Abby's sister and the blonde scruffy guy trying to figure out a new magical mystery.  It was kind of refreshing to see a scene without Crane and Abby and Katrina in it.  Didn't Abby's sis look hot in that leather skirt?  Katrina's gorgeous black lace outfit.  I like that corseted top on her and the tight black jeans.  She looked very sexy.  Orion looked very handsome and majestic.  There was such great eye candy in this episode!

And best of all, Irving's back!

Halcyon Days, that post was a thing of beauty!

I couldn't believe, like you, that Katrina had the nerve to think that Abbie and Ichabod owed her for saving humanity. First of all, it was her stupid kid that helped bring about the almost apocalypse. She really should be apologizing to all of humanity for that one and individually to all the families of the people he did directly kill with his stupid games, like the bank teller or Caroline, a character I'd trade for Katrina in a second. There are so many reasons I really hate that witch!

• Love 7

I thought he looked zombie-ish.

Jenny and Faux Sawyer need their own spin-off.  That is all.  And let Jenny keep that hairstyle!  I love it!

I love Hawley and Jenny together.  (Faux Sawyer, he he).

• Love 1

I've given up on trying to defend Katrina, especially after this episode.  Her character needs either to be killed off or to go evil.  

However, I do think Katrina made a good point when she said to Abbie something about how Abbie wouldn't be so quick to kill the Headless Horseman (HH) if Abraham had been Abbie's friend.  That made me think that I would've preferred if Orion had killed Abraham/HH.  But instead of the HH power going to Orion, it went immediately into Frank, making Frank the new HH.  Then in later episodes, Frank/HH kills Katrina and a few townspeople.  Then Ichabod would be on a rampage for revenge and want to kill Frank/HH, while this time Abbie would want to try to save/redeem Frank/HH and find a way to separate him from the HH avatar.  Or, if not Frank, maybe the new HH would be Sheriff Corbin, who's been stuck in Purgatory all this time.  If I remember, Clancy Brown plays a good bad guy really well - he was a memorable Victor Kruger (The Kurgan) in that Highlander movie with Christopher Lambert.  Anyway, the point is that it's easier to advocate killing a stranger than a friend.

Edited by tv echo

However, I do think Katrina made a good point when she said to Abbie something about how Abbie wouldn't be so quick to kill the Headless Horseman (HH) if Abraham had been Abbie's friend.

I think when said 'friend" specifically tries to kill your husband it kinda nullifies the sentimental attachment.

• Love 1
However, I do think Katrina made a good point when she said to Abbie something about how Abbie wouldn't be so quick to kill the Headless Horseman (HH) if Abraham had been Abbie's friend.

I wish Abbie would have replied with, "You wouldn't be so quick to defend him if he killed your friends."  Plus, wasn't Andy Abbie's friend?  And she did what she had to do when it came to him.

When Orion was talking about cleansing the world, I immediately thought of my favorite blasphemous movie, Dogma (I seriously feel like I'm going to hell every time I watch it, but who can resist angel Matt Damon singing the Martin theme song?).  Ben Affleck was going on some crazy rant and Matt Damon told him that might need to take a nap or something, and that's how I felt about Orion.

• Love 4

The spoiler totally works for me, too.  I must be one of the very few who do not ship Abbie and Ichabod.

I think that Abbie and Ichabod have chemistry and could be a steamy couple, but I stopped shipping them when the writers made it clear that they are not going there. I want to see Abbie have a love interest and be happy for a bit so I will take what I can get. However, I have not given up hope on John Cho returning full time. Torn Lovesick trapped in Evil Andy is my perfect love interest for Abbie. 

Edited by SimoneS

This episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but like someone up thread said nothing really happen. This was just an introduction to a new character and Hawley apparently over mooning for Abbie and wanting Jenny with more Ichabod in between Katrina and Abbie arguing, Katrina being smug and talking about redeeming somebody and Abbie rolling her eyes.

And since Orion's motivation was revealed where's the mystery?

I really liked the conversation Abbie and Ichabod had about what they might do if the danger truly were over. How Crane would need to get a job, find a place in the modern world, etc. And what really cracked me up was how Abbie went on and on about insurance and taxes and credit cards, totally freaking him out until he had to cut her off and change the subject. He's not ready for all that, and I think it would be really entertaining to see him try. (Not all the time, of course, because he still has a more important job with Abbie as Witness and fighting to save the world, but it would be nice to see him continue to adapt to the world and struggle with that.)

What modern thing was he bitching about at the top of the episode? I can't remember, but I thought it was funny. Oh yeah, just remembered... organic produce. Heeee.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

The spoiler totally works for me, too.  I must be one of the very few who do not ship Abbie and Ichabod.

I don't ship them either. I love the family bond they seem to have. I'm always a sucker for stories about families of choice and close knit ensembles. That doesn't mean I don't adore the chem between Abbie and Crane though. Unfortunately, that chemistry seems to begin and end with them. By now I would expect the show to have developed the whole ensemble a little better but everyone seems so separate from each other. I was as disappointed as Jenny that they didn't meet for a drink.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2
During the Hawley and Jenny scenes, he had that egg that they smashed to get to the glowing sphere, was that actually used in this episode? What did that glowing sphere thing do?

Yes, Hawley used it to spot the wobey demons and Headless at the carriage house. So the scene wasn't totally reconning and insulting uselessness, only like 94% so.

• Love 1

What a lot of people have said, this show continues to make the whole apocalypse hinge on the soap opera of Ichabod/Katrina/Abraham/Henry.  They had a great chance last night to turn the tables and have Abbie side with Orion.  Maybe in the scene Ichabod still saves Headless, but now we would have a genuine conflict between Abbie and Ichabod that would force him to make a choice regarding Katrina.  Instead, the show keeps forcing us down this path where Katrina can continue jerking Ichabod around keep putting the world in danger so she can have everything she wants, and Abbie is just along for the ride.

• Love 3

I just have to say that my favorite part of the episode was Ichabod bitching that fruit is BY DEFINITION organic, because, WORD. I hate the misuse of the word "organic" when what they mean is "pesticide free." Crane is my guy!

• Love 6

I do think Katrina made a good point when she said to Abbie something about how Abbie wouldn't be so quick to kill the Headless Horseman (HH) if Abraham had been Abbie's friend. .

Weren't Abbie and Jennie prepared to get rid of Mama ghost if she were a demon?

• Love 4

Someone mentioned upthread that Abbie wasn't acting like herself in certain ways this episode and I agree. Abbie may not have Crane's historical knowledge or his photographic memory but I think she has been shown to be equally as intelligent. As a cop she also as shown good instincts about people. It doesn't ring true that she would automatically trust Orion. She, like Crane, would have sensed that he was somewhat off and would have had some suspicions about him being fresh out of purgatory. She also would have hit the books for some research. We know that Abbie has biblical knowledge -- she was the one who pointed out the 30 coins/Judas connection in The Root of All Evil episode so the idea that she wouldn't be aware that some angels aren't benevolent doesn't hold up.They pretty much made Abbie look like a groupie.

It's an insult to Corbin's memory and to Abbie to suggest Abbie would in any way be okay with Abraham going free or become and allied with him. The show has taken pains, through flashbacks to show just how much Corbin meant to Abbie and how devastating his loss was to her. That she would just forgive Abraham for his death and get on board with restoring his humanity is ludricrous. That they expect the audience to get on board with redemption and forget that Headless Abraham murdered Corbin and others is even more insulting.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 9

I'm starting to like Katrina, she's become '"fun to hate" territory.  Every  time you see her, you just know she's going to do or say something stupid or useless. Otoh, either the actress is very bad or Katrina's evil or under evil influence.  She  just stood there when Ichabod hugged her, and her expression when Ichabod and Abbie were speaking behind her back wasn't jealousy. She used to have that expression when she was spying on Henry and Abraham.   I mean, yes, that's her only expression, but  that's my point, you can read there what you want. 

I still think there's hope for Ichabbie as endgame. The Cranes are having a break and Katrina might think that Abraham seems to love her no matter what... unlike Ichabod. I'm assuming Abbie will get a love interest sooner or later, but I see that as a part of the plan, since I think the writers will wait until season six or seven to make Ichabbie happen (if we get to season 6 or 7, of course).

Are we sure the Apocalypse is over? Because I don't think so. Henry must be planning something. And I never doubted we'd see Irving again.

I liked the angel, he can come back. 

• Love 1
The Whipped by his Wife Award goes to: Ichabod Crane, for allowing himself to be kicked out of the cabin, being forced to sleep in a tiny bed (does he even fit on it?) in the Archives, yet the moment the wife comes calling, he runs to her side. *sigh* I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be pissed at this, because he essentially left Abbie alone with Orion, an unproven supernatural creature, the moment his ‘beloved’ beckoned. I’m sure the wifey could wait a few more minutes. I think that tiny bed cracked his spine, because he currently does not have one. Which leads to…

I didn't see this the same way.  Abbie had suggested talking to Katrina at the beginning of the episode.  Ichabod begged off, he didn't want to see her.  I also think he is the one that decided not to live together, or at least it was mutually, based on how much he has learned about Katrina - all the secrets, he is not happy with her but thinks she can still help. Anyway, I digress.   Then, when Katrina called right after Orion appeared, Ichabod said he would stay with Abbie.  Abbie convinced him to leave and he reluctantly left.  Now, of course, that doesn't change how he behaved once he got there or when they were all together, but he didn't go off running as soon as K called.

• Love 1

I'm starting to like Katrina, she's become '"fun to hate" territory.  Every  time you see her, you just know she's going to do or say something stupid or useless. Otoh, either the actress is very bad or Katrina's evil or under evil influence.  She  just stood there when Ichabod hugged her, and her expression when Ichabod and Abbie were speaking behind her back wasn't jealousy. She used to have that expression when she was spying on Henry and Abraham.   I mean, yes, that's her only expression, but  that's my point, you can read there what you want.

She is a very limited actress. I feel sorry for her though. It seems that most everyone else really has the skills and she really stands out as lacking. Unless of course, there is some kind of plan afoot. I certainly can't figure it out.

One thing Katrina is good at though is diminishing Ichabod. In his scenes with her his whole persona changes. He might as well be saying, "Yes, My Love. Of Course My love. Anything you say My love." Bleh.

I also liked Orion; but not the whole destroy the work shtick. I'd like to see him come back for some serious action between him and the Witnesses.

Really don't like Soap Operas. The whole Crane family thing is so tiresome.

• Love 3

What, did the writers redo these scripts and episodes reshot over the hiatus? I actually liked this one. Loved that Crane isn't so head-over-heels with his "wife" and is confiding in Abbie a bit, and she understands. We all know Katrina is a dick, maybe Crane and Abbie are catching on too.

Speaking of, Katrina could really use some bangs on her wig. Her forehead goes on FOREVER. You could land a plane on it.

Too bad Orion gave himself up so quickly as being Bad Angel. But then, maybe angels aren't deceitful. I'm a Supernatural watcher too, and Castiel doesn't get sarcasm or other human bad traits.

As soon as Orion said Purgatory had opened up and everyone was loose, I knew Orlando would be back. Hooray! Did I imagine Abbie thinking, the heck, we could have waited to get Katrina out then. Geesh.

I caught the Field of Dreams reference in that last scene in the Quick Stop: "Is this heaven or hell?" "No, man, it's Sleepy Hollow." (As opposed to 'Iowa.")

Katrina's side eye at Crane at the end ... what did that mean? Is she Team Abraham or Team Crane?

No Henry! Ya-hoo! Now I just need John Cho to walk his way back to SH from Purgatory.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I'm left wondering...

Why did Crane destroy Orion halo/weapon? Couldn't he have just pulled it out of HH and therefore it wouldn't have drained HH's power at all. (allowing them yet another cool weapon and a bargaining chip over a powerful supernatural)

Will we ever see those demon killing weapons Crane and Abby used again? Bladed demon killing weapons with no costs and no ammo limitations would be useful next time they're dealing with purgatory zombies.

Why didn't anyone check HH's cabin before trying to find a magical demon hunting artifact?

Why did Team Witness allow Katrina to be the only one standing guard over her previous captor? You think you might want someone more objective standing guard as well like Hawley or Jenny to be like Hell no on letting HH loose with what boils down to a pinkie promise with a demon of the apocalypse.

This episode felt like it was powered by Idiot plot.

That said I did enjoy the fact that Henry was AWOL... that's about it really.

• Love 1

I just have to say that my favorite part of the episode was Ichabod bitching that fruit is BY DEFINITION organic, because, WORD. I hate the misuse of the word "organic" when what they mean is "pesticide free." Crane is my guy!

Meh. Like most words it has multiple specific meanings and in the case of agricultural products, that particular use has a legal definition in some jurisdictions, unlike the word "natural". Still, his rant was amusing, a rant about patenting life-forms might have been fun too.

• Love 1
Moloch’s gets killed, and Ichabod, Jenny and Abbie get knocked out. Ichabod wakes up, Abbie is next to him, but where is Katrina? She basically wanders into the scene, this weird look on her face, doesn’t seem to care about the status of her husband, doesn’t run to see if he’s okay, and when Ichabod hugs her, she is all stiff in response.

Right? And then she's got such a sneaky expression on her face when she's eavesdropping on Ichabod and Abbie. If I had more confidence in the writers, I'd be excited this might mean something - like Katrina is evil and working against the witnesses and the whole Twu Wuv between Ichabod and Katrina would be over. (Wouldn't it?)

• Love 1

Right? And then she's got such a sneaky expression on her face when she's eavesdropping on Ichabod and Abbie. If I had more confidence in the writers, I'd be excited this might mean something - like Katrina is evil and working against the witnesses and the whole Twu Wuv between Ichabod and Katrina would be over. (Wouldn't it?)

I like your optimism but based on this show's history. Crane would probably spend the next season pining over his lost love and trying to redeem her as she callously tortures his friends and plots against humanity...

• Love 4

Why couldn't this six week downtime have given Abbie a chance to let her hair down?  Why couldn't we have seen her flirting in the bar wearing a dress?  It didn't have to be something huge or significant, but a glimpse of something.

Abbie was insulted when Crane said she should get married. Abbie's not the type to need the affirmation of a man to be a complete person, which is one reason I love the character. She's a bad ass PERSON. Not every woman needs a man to make her life fulfilled.

• Love 13