Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Maksim Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

Then again, other than Erin and Kirstie, he barely seems to have anything to do with his own partners once their seasons are over.

He used to spend every Thanksgiving with Mel B, maybe still does, I don't know.

I'm not talking about an outing or dinner during a season or an occasional good luck tweet. Val and particularly Cheryl interact with celebrities other than their own partners during the season, and continue to interact with former contestants long after they're done with the show. Maks rarely does. Then again, other than Erin and Kirstie, he barely seems to have anything to do with his own partners once their seasons are over.

I've seen plenty of interactions between Maks and stars who were on the show long before Val joined the cast, YMMV. For me, Maks' time on the show doesn't revolve around Season 10 or Erin. 

(edited)
I've seen plenty of interactions between Maks and stars who were on the show long before Val joined the cast, YMMV. For me, Maks' time on the show doesn't revolve around Season 10 or Erin.

I'm sorry, did I say it did? I said that aside from Erin and Kirstie, he doesn't seem to interact much with any of his former partners and that the last celebrity he seemed to befriend was Kurt Warner. Again, I'm not talking about the occasional "hey how ya doing good luck" tweet. I'm talking about making and keeping actual friendships the way you see other pros do, Cheryl in particular. 

He used to spend every Thanksgiving with Mel B, maybe still does, I don't know.

Based on his tweets and Instagram pictures, he hasn't spent Thanksgiving with Mel for at least the past few years.

Edited by Toonces464

I don't really understand the significance of Maks not permanently befriending a lot of random celebrities on the show.  His social life seems to center around real friends that he's had for decades, which strikes me as healthier than latching onto Rob Kardashian or whoever.

• Love 3

I don't think Maks and Meryl are dating. I think they're being purposely coy to play up the 'are they or aren't they?' aspect just for votes which I have no problem with as it's how you play the game on this show. Now, when everything is over, it wouldn't surprise me if something DID happen, but there's also the real possibility they just remain good friends. I mean, he's based primarily on the east coast and she lives in Detroit and if she and Charlie decide to continue competing they aren't leaving their coaches so it's either a long distance thing or they wish each other well and just follow each other on Facebook. Both choices seem plausible.

Responding here to this comment from the episode thread:

Wow, Maks brought the asshole tonight didn't he?
I don't care if he doesn't like ALM, who does? - but take it up with the producers you jackass and not on live TV because you make your partner look bad  since you think you've got this in the bag.  Sorry to tell you Maks but your bitchass attitude there and in the duo rehearsal towards both women is going to bite Meryl in the vote-ass.

I kind of agree that Maks didn't come off well in this episode at all. I have a sinking suspicion that he was somewhat sabotaged, though. I think he should know better after 10 years on the show.

The rehearsal package came off a bit staged for me. Judging from the vibe of their previous collaboration, the "condescending" comment didn't ring true. Regardless of how well Maks sold it, Danica really wasn't being condescending. I know he doesn't have full command of the language, but I'm fairly certain that he could spot condescension when he sees it; without that set up, however, the visit from grandma loses context. This attempt at a cute rehearsal package was guaranteed to fail on the heels of the honest response to an obvious set-up by Erin re:ALM.

I predicted the rise of Charlie last week when we learned he was doing a Quickstep. I was dumbfounded at being left with Meryl at the bottom of the leader board on the week that determines who will make it into the finals. 

Max and Meryl are going to need a great deal of fan support to get through next week, and I just don't see how they can generate the votes. The primary dance was epic and amazing but getting it called "not a Rumba," at this stage is bad. The samba was really good, too, but with being the only female/female duo, they're the only ones who had to deliver on side-by-side synchronization and get dinged for a lack thereof. Add in the Max H8 and we're left with another Mirrorball for Derek? I hope not because I love watching Meryl and Max dance together so I hope there's enough panic from Meryl/Max fans to get them into the finals.

• Love 1
The primary dance was epic and amazing but getting it called "not a Rumba," at this stage is bad.

It was called "not a Rumba" because it wasn't a Rumba. And that's totally on Maks. I know he got away with it with the Foxtrot, but he had to know he'd get called out eventually on not choreographing the proper dance, especially after what happened to Charlie with his Rumba. Even Derek got called out with Nicole for not choreographing a proper Quickstep.

• Love 1

It was called "not a Rumba" because it wasn't a Rumba. And that's totally on Maks. I know he got away with it with the Foxtrot, but he had to know he'd get called out eventually on not choreographing the proper dance, especially after what happened to Charlie with his Rumba. Even Derek got called out with Nicole for not choreographing a proper Quickstep.

I think it's more the fact that it was called out as not a Rumba is more of the issue than the fact that it wasn't a Rumba. If the performance doesn't meet the criteria of the dance assigned and the judges don't make a thing out of that, the majority of the viewing public isn't going to pick up on that. Some of them absolutely will, but I'd guess that most of them wouldn't. So it's not so much specifically the fact that the Rumba wasn't a Rumba that will hurt them, but rather that this week Maks pushed his luck and got called on it so now the audience absolutely knows that what they did wasn't what they were supposed to. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been called on it, though the whether or not the pros get called on it doesn't seem to be uniformly applied and has benefited several of them (including Maks) at different points in time.

Personally, I wouldn't have tried such limited Rumba content after Charlie and Peta was so forcefully called on it but I was also under the impression based on the package that Maks knew that it was a real possibility that would happen.

• Love 1

Maks was well aware the dance didn't have enough rhumba content. I imagine he was going for the performance factor and thinking that Meryl's dance ability would wow enough that they would still get high scores and they did. Were it not for Abby being on the panel, they would have gotten two 9's and a 10. Pretty good score for a dance that didn't have nearly enough of the required content of the assigned dance. What more than anything hurt them last night was the duel/dance off/whatever that thing was.

All of the judges, save for Bruno I think, was just lukewarm on the performance while both of the other two pairing dances got raves and got 10's. So when all the scores got added in, Meryl suddenly finds herself in last place. I don't think for one second Meryl's going home. I'm sure she and Maks already have a strong voting base and that base is likely fired up and motivated with her currently in last place in scores. I'm sure she'll be fine. I called Meryl, Charlie and Amy in the finals from Week 1 and I'm pretty certain that's what's going to happen. 

his attempt at a cute rehearsal package was guaranteed to fail on the heels of the honest response to an obvious set-up by Erin re:ALM.

I don't like how a lot of Maks' behavior always gets blamed on either editing or producer manipulation or a set up. Maks is not a child, more than that, he has been doing this show for a long time now. He must know what it's about and how it works. If he keeps getting himself in these "traps" then maybe it's not the producer or editors' fault and all his.

I did not see the rehearsal so I cannot speak on his behavior with Danica. And while his feelings on Abby Lee Miller was quite clearly shared by most of the Pros, I think a combination of that, mixed with Meryl's not getting perfect scores for the first time in two weeks and the rehearsal likely just made him come across as a little pissy and unpleasant last night. And the reality is Maks at this point does have a reputation to some viewers, especially those who remember seasons like the one with Hope and so are likely quick to feel like "here we go again..." when he does anything that seems slightly antagonistic. 

• Love 2

I don't like how a lot of Maks' behavior always gets blamed on either editing or producer manipulation or a set up. Maks is not a child, more than that, he has been doing this show for a long time now. He must know what it's about and how it works. If he keeps getting himself in these "traps" then maybe it's not the producer or editors' fault and all his.

I did not see the rehearsal so I cannot speak on his behavior with Danica. And while his feelings on Abby Lee Miller was quite clearly shared by most of the Pros, I think a combination of that, mixed with Meryl's not getting perfect scores for the first time in two weeks and the rehearsal likely just made him come across as a little pissy and unpleasant last night. And the reality is Maks at this point does have a reputation to some viewers, especially those who remember seasons like the one with Hope and so are likely quick to feel like "here we go again..." when he does anything that seems slightly antagonistic.

I think that if things get boring then the producers will try to display Maks in the most dramatic light possible but they can't do that if he doesn't give them the basics to work with and he gives them plenty that can easily go from Maks having a very cut and dry teaching method or being mildly frustrating to Maks being out of control. And then there are obviously situations where Maks is out of line and out of control like with Hope.

That said, I don't think that he was really all that bad. He was absolutely frustrated and he did tell Danica not to condescend to him, but she was being condescending. Maks got short with them as said that they all needed to have some common sense because the steps were really easy. Meryl pointed out that she and Danica weren't professional dancers. Danica then turned to Meryl and said something to the effect of "You know what our job is? Our job is to tune out the insults." Maks stated he wasn't insulting anyone and Danica responded "There are insults every other word. You know what? Never mind. You know, this is what we talk about in private." With the last part being delivered to Meryl implying that they spend time complaining about Maks or something. And for me while there was absolutely frustration in Maks' statement, he wasn't really trying to insult either of them. Danica's statement on the other hand came across as lashing out at Maks in frustration. I think she was trying to smooth it over by saying they were doing a great job with nonprofessionals, but I think Maks was responding to her cutting herself off and saying to Meryl they talk about things in private which seemed to be said for the sole purpose of bringing up the idea that they're both dissatisfied with Maks. Meryl for her part looked like she wanted to be anywhere else and also seemed somewhat annoyed that there was so much talking during the learning portion if things. Val also seemed a little frustrated with the questioning why things were different. Whether Danica meant to insult Maks or not, I can absolutely see why he felt she was being condescending. I didn't see it as a massive blowout, she snapped at him and he told her not to be condescending but it seemed like they moved on pretty quickly. But that's just how I saw it, YMMV. It is up on YouTube now.

• Love 2

I thought the Meryl/Danica/Val/Maks rehearsal dynamic was very authentic.  Those are four people who have been working together in various combinations for weeks now and have a store of little irritations and grievances against one another.  At least two of them (Maks and Danica) have fussy personalities that require a certain amount of "handling".  And then you put them in a situation where their loyalties are all a little at odds with each other, and of course you get some friction.

People get upset when they feel ganged up upon.  Meryl & Danica expressed irritation that Maks and Val were double-teaming them with dance criticism.  (I kind of got the feeling that Meryl was mostly trying to stick up for Danica with that "We're not professional dancers" remark.)  Then Danica responded by basically telling Maks that she and his partner/girlfriend shit-talk him in private.  Of course he didn't like that. 

Overall, I didn't think it was a big deal at all, and certainly not an example of Maks being a villain.  But I don't think it was the best group dynamic for getting a great dance out of any of them.  It was probably good for James/Amy and Candace/Charlie to be able to start fresh with each other.

What didn't seem natural to me were the reactions of Meryl and Val in the initial part of the conversation. I think that Val, especially, since he was being very sensitive to Danica's injury and very attentive to her needs, was a little too neutral about the unmistakable flair up. It would have been more natural for him to either defend Danica or to distract Maks or find some other way to diffuse the situation.

Having fun is the theme that they used for the Maks/Danica package. For me it doesn't seem natural to go from "We don't look like four people ready to have fun" to "Don't be condescending" quite as quickly as he did. Granted, I approach things from an actor's point of view where we have to find the motivation that the author intended; but then more effort goes into plays and scripts than what the story-boarders come up with for Reality TV. Maks sold the individual lines, it's the transitions that were a bit muddled. He gave Danica plenty to work with as an actress who brought in Meryl--and then Grandma shows up at the same rehearsal and makes everything better. 

But that's just my view of things.

I think that Val, especially, since he was being very sensitive to Danica's injury and very attentive to her needs, was a little too neutral about the unmistakable flair up.

I don't think Val says anything against his brother, ever.  And as patient as he's been with Danica, I think it's an effort.  It made sense to me that he'd say nothing and let them try to work it out.

I don't think Grandma walking in was a total surprise to any of them, however. 

I just wanted to say that I was really impressed with the choreography he did for his contemporaryish rumba with Meryl. I think the scores were fine (Abby's 8 cancelled out Bruno's 10) given how other rumbas have been nitpicked this season, but it was nice to see Maks take a risk like that, and it felt fresh and like it belonged on the show DWTS has evolved into. Oftentimes I think Maks's choreography, especially in the previous two seasons he was in, felt like he was still choreographing for the show as it was ten seasons ago, and it's changed a lot.

• Love 1
but it was nice to see Maks take a risk like that, and it felt fresh and like it belonged on the show DWTS has evolved into.

Meryl & Maks said in their red carpet interview that this dance was so satisfying for them that they wouldn't change it for something better scoring.  I think that was genuine, and as someone who found it very satisfying to watch, I agree with them.  The scoring wasn't egregious - three 9's for not enough rumba/pointed toes and one 10 from Bruno for performance quality would have been more accurate.

It seems like Maks is truly inspired by Meryl, and I'm enjoying what they're creating so much that if they wind up with the same scenario in the final and lose, I would accept it as a noble loss.

• Love 1

And it was Erin who asked him the question -- quite awkwardly, as if she nearly forgot the script and had to pull the microphone back after she remembered she forgot to say "constructive criticism." If there's anyone who wouldn't play along with helping to make Maks look bad, it's Erin. I think that whole exchange was orchestrated by Maks with an assist from Erin.

• Love 1

Finally saw the rehearsal package for the group dance. Hmm, that was definitely awkward with Maks and Danica and I will say it wasn't just a small thing only because Maks face in my opinion, clearly showed annoyance and major irritation while Danica looked uncomfortable and slightly embarrassed to be honest. I have to agree with others who said that moment just showed what a bullet the show dodged not putting those two together.

And funny enough, for the comments about the producers, if there was any producer manipulation, I'd say it was bringing in the cute grandma so viewers see the adorable Chmerkovsky brothers and their adorable grandmother and not focus on the other stuff. Also something was really off with the samba. I think it was a combination of the choreography not being that great, the song not being that great and timing between the pairings being really off so that they were rarely ever perfectly in sync. 

Finally saw the rehearsal package for the group dance. Hmm, that was definitely awkward with Maks and Danica and I will say it wasn't just a small thing only because Maks face in my opinion, clearly showed annoyance and major irritation while Danica looked uncomfortable and slightly embarrassed to be honest. I have to agree with others who said that moment just showed what a bullet the show dodged not putting those two together.

And funny enough, for the comments about the producers, if there was any producer manipulation, I'd say it was bringing in the cute grandma so viewers see the adorable Chmerkovsky brothers and their adorable grandmother and not focus on the other stuff. Also something was really off with the samba. I think it was a combination of the choreography not being that great, the song not being that great and timing between the pairings being really off so that they were rarely ever perfectly in sync.

I agree that Maks seemed genuinely annoyed by the whole thing but personally I felt that it seemed like a normal (for Maks) level of frustration and annoyance until after Danica's comments. That was also where I detected embarrassment from her. I don't think that this scenario was one where there was much producer involvement in making it look worse than it was but I also don't think it or Maks' response to ALM were the perfect example of how Maks is a miserable jerk the way I've seen some people suggest. He's had some supremely ugly moments in past seasons and neither one of these compared from where I stand.

The duel was a mess, though, for a lot of different reasons. I have to wonder how much of that was due to pushing the choreography beyond what Danica is physically capable of, especially with her injury. While I don't think Maks would intentionally push for choreography that she simply couldn't handle, I also wonder if it's possible that he lost sight of the fact that they were being graded as a duo so pushing it to a level where Meryl is comfortable and displays her in the best possible light could mean Danica would struggle and that would in turn have a negative impact on them. I only watched it once and refuse to watch it again because it was that lackluster for me, but it felt to me like Danica was dragging a bit and even when they were with their partners it seemed like Danica and Val held back a bit more. The song was terrible which dragged them down from the get go, but it just seemed like the routine was perhaps more comfortable for Meryl than Danica. I don't think it was any kind of intentional move to put Danica at a disadvantage in the dance, but it seemed to me like she was. YMMV. It's a pity because they were the duo I was most looking forward to when the pairs were announced.

• Love 1

As a few people have pointed out, including Anna Trebunskaya, Danica and Meryl were the only couple being judged on their synchronicity and matched skills because they were women and were not dancing in hold.  It really wasn't a fair set up.

• Love 1

I didn't think they were. Carrie Ann focused on Amy and James' synchronicity a lot and it's why she gave them a 9 because as much she she loved the dance and thought it was great, she said one of them (can't remember if it was Amy or James) went wrong on their first kick together

(edited)

And it was Erin who asked him the question -- quite awkwardly, as if she nearly forgot the script and had to pull the microphone back after she remembered she forgot to say "constructive criticism." If there's anyone who wouldn't play along with helping to make Maks look bad, it's Erin. I think that whole exchange was orchestrated by Maks with an assist from Erin.

Just a theory that's been running around in my head...

I'm of the belief that the pros are in reality all quite good friends and when a situation gets tough, they all have each other's backs. (The "rivalries" are between certain fanbases, including the site-that-shall-not-be-named who seems to actively promote fan wars at times.) 

Anyway, upon learning ALM was going to be a guest judge, it was assumed 2 pros were likely in for some "payback". Mark and Derek had openly criticized ALM's "teaching" methods, and I'm sure you all know the story of that.  All kinds of web articles have been posted in the past week of ALM making veiled threats about their comments coming back to haunt them, and the like.  ALM has also stated in many of the web articles that her favorite this season was Meryl (coincidentally? a look-alike to her star student?).

It's occurred to me that the pros might have wanted to state their contempt for ALM but didn't want to endanger their partner.  Suppose before the show, the pros got together to decide who would speak up.

Candace/Mark are in jeopardy almost every week.

Danica/Val & James/Peta are kind of 2nd string with unknown voting fan bases and up&down scoring.

Charlie/Sharna have been lowballed on scoring and nitpicked to death and likely vote-splitting with Meryl.

These couples could get seriously hurt for any "retribution" scoring from ALM.

That would leave Amy/Derek and Meryl/Maks.

Amy/Derek (IMO) have been handled with kid gloves all season and are likely a shoo-in for the finals but Derek might not have been up for direct confrontation.

Maks is known in the past for speaking his mind to the judges and his/Meryl's scores have been top of the leader board (as of before Monday's show), Maks has a dedicated fanbase, Meryl seems extremely popular and ALM's stated favorite.  This could be viewed as little danger if Maks speaks up.

The pros talk with Erin and ask her to find an opening and direct the "what do you think of Abby" question to Maks. Derek is conveniently in the camera shot directly behind Maks very obviously applauding Maks.

All the pros except Peta but including Tony backed Maks in the post-show interviews. It seemed to me Peta didn't know anything about ALM.

Just a theory. 

In fair disclosure, I'm kind of indifferent about Maks, perhaps somewhat more thumbs down on him since the Hope incident but I literally stood up and applauded when he made his comment about ALM.  As for ALM, I don't care what she and the dance moms do, but dragging little girls into the middle of their fights and "drama" leaps far past the line of acceptability IMO.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3

All the pros except Peta but including Tony backed Maks in the post-show interviews. It seemed to me Peta didn't know anything about ALM.

It wasn't that Peta didn't back him, at least from the interviews I saw, it was that Peta literally said nothing while James went on to say how great it was she was on the show and something about how it's refreshing to hear different perspectives. James, when Charlie White is taking a woman's teaching methods to task and Meryl Davis is basically saying that she needs to be able to take as well as she can dish out, walking the line of civility probably isn't necessary. I mean, you have two people who have been accepting criticism with a smile for years all but point blank says that no one respects her...

I don't know if I think the pros conspired to get that question asked or if the producers had it on hand and would've fed it to any of the male pros as they're more liable to respond as Maks did (though, Sharna probably would've been a good option given the attitude/arabesque drama). I also don't think that they would've worried too much about there being a negative reaction from fans. The woman is fairly universally reviled and I think that had it been anyone other than Maks there probably would've been less back and forth about whether he was being a jerk or not. Derek would've skated by, Mark has been tolerable this season so he probably would have too, and I think Val would've too. That said, from comments around the interwebs it seems like it's energized voters rather than turned them off.

• Love 1
(edited)

It wasn't that Peta didn't back him, at least from the interviews I saw, it was that Peta literally said nothing while James went on to say how great it was she was on the show and something about how it's refreshing to hear different perspectives. James, when Charlie White is taking a woman's teaching methods to task and Meryl Davis is basically saying that she needs to be able to take as well as she can dish out, walking the line of civility probably isn't necessary. I mean, you have two people who have been accepting criticism with a smile for years all but point blank says that no one respects her...

I don't know if I think the pros conspired to get that question asked or if the producers had it on hand and would've fed it to any of the male pros as they're more liable to respond as Maks did (though, Sharna probably would've been a good option given the attitude/arabesque drama). I also don't think that they would've worried too much about there being a negative reaction from fans. The woman is fairly universally reviled and I think that had it been anyone other than Maks there probably would've been less back and forth about whether he was being a jerk or not. Derek would've skated by, Mark has been tolerable this season so he probably would have too, and I think Val would've too. That said, from comments around the interwebs it seems like it's energized voters rather than turned them off.

Edited because my response is OT.  Taking this to the General Season 18 thread...

Edited by MarySNJ
It wasn't that Peta didn't back him, at least from the interviews I saw, it was that Peta literally said nothing while James went on to say how great it was

I saw multiple interviews where Peta said nothing but positive things about ALM.  All she seemed to care about was that ALM gave them a 10.  I suppose Peta does not need to share the opinion of anyone else or back any of them up, but I continue to lose respect for her. 

And James, who I think is a charming young man, sounded like Eddie Haskell when he offered out of the blue to meet ALM's students and give them signed photos. 

• Love 2

I saw multiple interviews where Peta said nothing but positive things about ALM.  All she seemed to care about was that ALM gave them a 10.  I suppose Peta does not need to share the opinion of anyone else or back any of them up, but I continue to lose respect for her. 

And James, who I think is a charming young man, sounded like Eddie Haskell when he offered out of the blue to meet ALM's students and give them signed photos. 

If you watch the Maks/Abby Lee comment though, you can see Peta in the background clapping along with Derek. She clearly agreed. Though that was before their 10. Both Peta and James do have a bit of an air of desperation about them when they're begging for votes. 

• Love 1

This just made me laugh really, really loudly. I love the assumption that these girls would even want his autograph. As for Peta, I didn't see any of their press but the woman is entitled to her opinion. Maybe she's never seen Abby's show - quite possible, I haven't. I know of her and I've heard the stories but I've never been interested in watching her show. And so maybe all Peta really knows of her is what she saw that night in the ballroom. Or maybe she just doesn't want to say anything negative period.

There is nothing wrong with that imo and certainly not something I would lose respect for her for. Consider Peta's reaction to Carrie Ann giving her and Charlie that 7 - everyone from Sharna, James were all saying how unfair it was and they felt horrible for her. She simply shrugged and said she did believe she did a rumba but that was it. I don't know, I've never heard or seen Peta say anything negative about anyone and so I'd likely just chalk up her responses to that. 

Just to clarify, my mention of Peta was just an aside. She had a surprised look on her face when Maks made his comment and there could be any number of reasons why she didn't appear to back Maks in the post-interviews.  Maybe she didn't know anything about ALM, maybe she just didn't feel like expressing an opinion, maybe she was still all-aglow over receiving a 10, any number of reasons. Her choice. That's fine.

My point was that Maks was being called a jerk by some and a hero by others. Being called a jerk, IMO, would be unfair if it was a planned response.

My point was that Maks was being called a jerk by some and a hero by others. Being called a jerk, IMO, would be unfair if it was a planned response.

I don't think Maks was being a jerk and I don't think it was a planned response. Calling it planned sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Ask Maks for his opinion and he'll give it to you. It's that simple.

The woman is fairly universally reviled and I think that had it been anyone other than Maks there probably would've been less back and forth about whether he was being a jerk or not. Derek would've skated by, Mark has been tolerable this season so he probably would have too, and I think Val would've too. That said, from comments around the interwebs it seems like it's energized voters rather than turned them off.

I agree. Maks said he didn't care what her opinion was, not that she couldn't have an opinion. The large teddy bear gets a reaction that's different from the others. If anything, Abby seemed to get more raw, honest emotion out of Mark and Derek than I've seen in a long time. They both appeared far less scripted and robotic than usual in their interviews.

Another Red Carpet Interview from Meryl & Max: http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/video?id=9528233

For good or for ill, Meryl seems very understanding of Maks' candor both in the rehearsal process and on this particular episode of the show.

This is a great interview. Maks seemed slightly worried that maybe he shouldn't have responded to Erin's question. It's nice to see George, the interviewer, tell Maks how much the press appreciates his candor. 

• Love 1

Flick, where was the interview with Charlie? I don't think I've ever heard him saw anything negative about a person and I would like to see/read what he said. I'm sure it was in the same tactful tone that Meryl took but I would still like to see it.

Flick, where was the interview with Charlie? I don't think I've ever heard him saw anything negative about a person and I would like to see/read what he said. I'm sure it was in the same tactful tone that Meryl took but I would still like to see it.

It's part of the interview package that Tony did for Extra. You can see it here. He's absolutely not on an out of control tear or anything, but he very much expresses his disapproval and his support for the pros. That video has Maks, Mark, Tony, Charlie, and Derek all expressing verbal disapproval for Abby.

I also saw a quote from Charlie where he said that ALM brought a negative energy to the show, or something like that.  Very diplomatically stated, but opinionated by Charlie standards.

• Love 1

I also saw a quote from Charlie where he said that ALM brought a negative energy to the show, or something like that.  Very diplomatically stated, but opinionated by Charlie standards.

From the Glamour blog (which is always filled with really juicy tidbits that you should take with an entire shaker full of salt...

"We like to focus on the positive. I think conversations about her tend to trend negative, and that energy is not something that anyone really needs. Suffice it to say, we’re not all 100-percent pleased with the way she conducts herself professionally. At the end of the day, she wasn't that bad here, [but] she shouldn’t be a highlight of what we’re talking about."

The tiger analogy in that Maks interview totally got me. I guess he likes thinking of himself as more of a tiger than a teddy bear. I would totally watch 20 weeks of these two dancing together.

It might have gotten to me too if it were actually true. We've seen other partners "put their hand on his shoulder" and support him/calm him down/whatever he was implying many times before. The first one that comes to mind was when he melted down and Brandy had to choreograph their AT. And that was a partner who didn't even like him much.

I realize that Maks has given some people reason to be cynical about him on the show, but I think every word of what he said about Meryl in this interview was true.

I don't doubt it was true. Same as it was true every other time he's said these things.

I'm w u Toonce--IMO, M, in the running for world's most egotistical prick, would do and say just about anything to come out on top of one silly dancing show this season.

I think it's sad. I actually would've liked to see Maks finally win one, but not under these circumstances. The fact he feels he needs to play these games with a partner who's the biggest ringer the show has ever seen just blows my mind. Not to mention the fact that the season has turned out to be all about him, not even about Meryl. How many times have we seen the "real Maks" now? LOL

• Love 1

For me Maks' partnership with Meryl most strongly reminds me of the one with Mel B. It's clear that he loves dancing with and choreographing for Meryl, just like he did with Mel. And I enjoy it so much, and I think many other people respond to that as well going by the online response, because their focus seems to be on dancing together and creating dances they enjoy. Taking a risk like that with the rumba in week 8 (going by the package and the interviews afterwards, Maks knew there was the possibility that they would get dinged for it) also doesn't scream "only in it for the MBT" IMO. Neither does his response to ALM. He could have returned her flirting like James did and hoped that it would get them milder scoring from her.

I do think he wants to win, who doesn't? He also probably knows that he won't at this point, seeing the way the judges are falling all over themselves for Amy and Derek. It's believable to me that he can still enjoy it because he gets to do more dances with Meryl. I hope they make it to the finals because I want to see more dances from them. Do I believe that the way he talks about Meryl involves hyperbole and PR spin? Of course it does, it's a popularity contest, everyone tries to sell something. IMO he isn't any worse about this than the other pros, he just gets more attention because...well, he's Maks, people give him lots of attention for some reason. (-;

And it was always going to be about Maks to some degree in his partnership with Meryl, that was just inevitable IMO. He's an extrovert and an attention hog, she's not. But I think the producers took a gamble with the pairing that ultimately paid off: Meryl is reserved and PR-trained to the high heavens. There was a real risk that she would come across as boring, cold and aloof. Which doesn't help when you're trying to win a popularity contest, particularly when you're a female ringer and people usually have all the knives out for them anyway. Yeah, some of that commentary is still floating around, but this has mostly been avoided because of the way they interact with each other and the rapport they have. She's going along with his OTT shenanigans to some degree, he's being pretty lowkey (for his standars LOL). I think it's fun to watch. IMO Maks is also doing his absolute best to engage her in interviews (she does have a tendency to just nod along and let her partner dominate the proceedings IMO, she does that with Charlie to some degree as well) and he's been highlighting her and her abilities in the dances he's created on her. Short of a personality transplant, I don't know what else he could do in that regard LOL.

• Love 5

Do I believe that the way he talks about Meryl involves hyperbole and PR spin? Of course it does, it's a popularity contest, everyone tries to sell something. IMO he isn't any worse about this than the other pros, he just gets more attention because...well, he's Maks, people give him lots of attention for some reason. (-;

I've NEVER heard any other pro slam their former partners the way Maks has this season.  Talking about how he had to force himself to go to work, could barely tolerate being around them, had to drag them around the dance floor, etc.  So I have to say that Maks is worse about this than the other pros.  His ridiculous hyperbole about Meryl is off-putting to me.

Early in this season, I was hoping that Maks would win the trophy.  Not for Maks's sake, but for his fans.  They want it so badly, and feel so victimized that he's not yet won, that I kinda wanted it for them. My Mom is a Maks fan, so that helps -- I want to see her be happy.

But, with the awful comments Maks has made about his former partners, and the not-so-pleasant way he treated Danica, I'm once again not on board with a Maks victory.  If he and Meryl win the trophy, it will be without my votes.

• Love 2

I do think he wants to win, who doesn't? He also probably knows that he won't at this point, seeing the way the judges are falling all over themselves for Amy and Derek. It's believable to me that he can still enjoy it because he gets to do more dances with Meryl. I hope they make it to the finals because I want to see more dances from them. Do I believe that the way he talks about Meryl involves hyperbole and PR spin? Of course it does, it's a popularity contest, everyone tries to sell something. IMO he isn't any worse about this than the other pros, he just gets more attention because...well, he's Maks, people give him lots of attention for some reason. (-;

And it was always going to be about Maks to some degree in his partnership with Meryl, that was just inevitable IMO. He's an extrovert and an attention hog, she's not. But I think the producers took a gamble with the pairing that ultimately paid off: Meryl is reserved and PR-trained to the high heavens. There was a real risk that she would come across as boring, cold and aloof. Which doesn't help when you're trying to win a popularity contest, particularly when you're a female ringer and people usually have all the knives out for them anyway. Yeah, some of that commentary is still floating around, but this has mostly been avoided because of the way they interact with each other and the rapport they have. She's going along with his OTT shenanigans to some degree, he's being pretty lowkey (for his standars LOL). I think it's fun to watch. IMO Maks is also doing his absolute best to engage her in interviews (she does have a tendency to just nod along and let her partner dominate the proceedings IMO, she does that with Charlie to some degree as well) and he's been highlighting her and her abilities in the dances he's created on her. Short of a personality transplant, I don't know what else he could do in that regard LOL.

I'm with you, Katha. Meryl and Maks are entertaining on the dance floor and in interviews. This show is part dance competition and part popularity contest. This is a partnership that excels in both parts. Maks getting attention isn't bad for Meryl. They're getting more coverage as a couple because Maks is outspoken and draws attention. It's good for both of them.

I've NEVER heard any other pro slam their former partners the way Maks has this season.  Talking about how he had to force himself to go to work, could barely tolerate being around them, had to drag them around the dance floor, etc.  So I have to say that Maks is worse about this than the other pros.  His ridiculous hyperbole about Meryl is off-putting to me.

Tony has called Kate Gosselin out by name in recent years on more than one occasion. Kate is hardly the only difficult star whose ever been on the show. Cheryl has mentioned that she had difficult partners and I think she's picked favorites as well. Maks isn't saying all of his partners were bad, nor is he calling them out by name even though he's been asked to do that. Erin doesn't seem to mind, Maks even joked that he had her permission from Erin to talk about how great Meryl is.

Maks is always going to be over the top. That's just him. I hope he continues to be effusive. We have plenty of pros who tow the line, or who speak out in ways that are too dull for people to notice. I'm fine with Maks offending some people. I enjoy the show he puts on.

• Love 3
I'm fine with Maks offending some people.

I do believe that's in his job description, and a big reason he was brought back to the show.  I give you Exhibit A:

I enjoy the show he puts on.

:)

And I'm fine with Maks bringing the drama.  It keeps DWTS ticking, and I'm happy it's been renewed.  He's just not convincing me to vote for him. 

Lots of stuff that annoys various people is kept in the show, because it gets people talking and creates buzz.  What some people call Derek's mugging, he probably calls doing his job -- playing to the cameras, upping the cheese factor.  Peta's skimpy costumes are likely part of her job security, a way to get people talking about her.

I'm helping to keep DWTS on the air by writing my post that I'm not planning on voting for Maks this time. :)  

Early in this season, I was hoping that Maks would win the trophy.  Not for Maks's sake, but for his fans.  They want it so badly, and feel so victimized that he's not yet won, that I kinda wanted it for them. My Mom is a Maks fan, so that helps -- I want to see her be happy.

But, with the awful comments Maks has made about his former partners, and the not-so-pleasant way he treated Danica, I'm once again not on board with a Maks victory.  If he and Meryl win the trophy, it will be without my votes.

And he could have easily praised Meryl without all the shots at his former partners. That's what annoys me the most.

Even after he was called out on it he continued to do it. I think he just doesn't care. His former partners do nothing for him. None of them are pimping for votes for him or showing him any support this season. None of them pimp or support his stuff outside DWTS. They do nothing for him so he doesn't need them and doesn't care if he insults them. He has nothing to do with most of them besides Erin and Kirstie anyway..And since I'll be shocked if he's back after this season, he won't need them in the future so he just doesn't care anymore. Whatever it takes to win that trophy this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know if I quite believe Maks is as obsessed with winning the trophy as people think, but I do like picturing him singing this to himself before every show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rkLRJ0m0k

That is hilarious. I don't actually follow much of Maks' media stuff so I can't fully comment on how he's coming across with regards to his former partners but reading others' reaction and opinion to it, it actually reminds me of this incident with Tom Cruise (yeah I know what you're thinking...but bare with me).

It was at the height of all his manic, nuttiness with Katie Holmes and while in Australia, not surprisingly, to promote Mission Impossible that came out at that time, an interviewer basically asked him about the fact that he was all couch jumping, falling all over himself, acting like a fool, claiming he'd never, ever, ever felt this way in life except that he'd been married to another woman for 10 years, who had two children with. The interviewer's comment was basically that wasn't his behavior slightly disrespectful to Nicole and the history they shared. Let's just say Tom Cruise didn't take too kindly to that and got all defensive.

So I'm reading some of the comments above and I feel like some are regarding Maks' comment like this interviewer did Tom's. That it is all well and good to praise your celeb but there is a line where it becomes so effusive and over the top that knowingly or uknowingly it starts to come across as dismissive and insulting of others. Again, not necessarily saying I agree or disagree but I see both sides I guess. 

I'm fine with Maks offending some people. I enjoy the show he puts on.

Fair enough and not necessarily saying you are guilty of this, but I hope some of his fans who feel like this are also then fine with the fact many will hit back at some of his behavior and call it out. And that will be accepted, just as his behavior is without accusations of producer manipulation, editing, viewers hating him, being unfair, etc. It's a two-way street. Maks is all about "keeping it real and saying how he feels..." and well others will respond in kind. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
So I'm reading some of the comments above and I feel like some are regarding Maks' comment like this interviewer did Tom's. That it is all well and good to praise your celeb but there is a line where it becomes so effusive and over the top that knowingly or uknowingly it starts to come across as dismissive and insulting of others. Again, not necessarily saying I agree or disagree but I see both sides I guess.

It's not that he's effusively praising Meryl, it's the fact he's outright insulting all his other partners by saying he's had to drag them around the dance floor and it was a burden to go to work and teach them. And of course he's not naming names so it's not like he's singling out a particular partner or two - he's lumping everyone before Meryl in together and saying some really crappy things.

Wow, okay. Like I said I actually don't follow Maks' media rounds other than hearing a thing or two or seeing something in passing but yeah that does kind of suck. I mean without question he's had some duds, hello Denise Richards but yeah I guess there are more flattering ways to praise Meryl.

Fair enough and not necessarily saying you are guilty of this, but I hope some of his fans who feel like this are also then fine with the fact many will hit back at some of his behavior and call it out. And that will be accepted, just as his behavior is without accusations of producer manipulation, editing, viewers hating him, being unfair, etc. It's a two street. Maks is all about "keeping in real and saying how he feels..." and well others will respond in kind.

Of course most of the stuff on DWTS is to some degree staged, edited, manipulated and faked. That's the nature of reality shows. Maks is a reality show performer. His assigned role is the foreign, tempestuous bad boy to Derek's All-American good guy. They're both reasonably convincing in these roles, so they've remained with the show for a long time. They've both also managed to some degree to walk the fine line between playing into these notions and going beyond that to show more complexity. So then you have people being all "Maks is totally misunderstood!", "Derek is much edgier than people give him credit for!". That's how you build a fanbase, heh. Since they're also really good at their "main jobs", dancing, it all works out. I personally find it entertaining.

• Love 3