Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Maksim Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

I'm with ya! I love the Maks/Meryl pairing. That is why I loathe the switch up. I just don't see the point of it. I would think Meryl would switch back to Maks. That is if the producers aren't dumb enough to let the audience decide... which I sincerely hope they aren't.

• Love 1

I've always liked Maks. He has those moments for sure, when I want to scream at him to shut his pie hole, but I usually find him likable, talented, and charismatic. Not to mention insanely good looking. ::drools::

• Love 4

When I heard about the switch pre-season my first thought was, figures they finally give Maks a front runner and he'll probably lose her. I'm not really feeling him this season though. He seems almost sub-dued. He's not the best choreographer and his behavior with the judges bugs sometimes, but I always liked his fire and it seems a bit missing. My favorite thing about him is that he usually doesn't way out dance his partner like Ballas and sometimes Hough and some others.

I have always liked Maks and his fire/attitude, but I don't mind him being more subdued this season.  Some of his comments about how lucky he was to get Meryl as a partner, plus his obvious attempts to be super respectful about the show every time he opens his mouth, make me think that he had maybe pushed things to where he was on thin ice with TPTB.  This is all speculation on my part, but he seemed to be honestly surprised at the fact that they gave him a true contender this season, and it feels to me like he wants to show that he is not taking that for granted.  

• Love 1

First of all, I adore Maks. I'm so happy to see him with a talented partner this season and with someone who seems to respect him.  I really hated the idea of the switch up. I also think he brings a charm and charisma that is unmatched. 

Then, producers give away the Argentine Tango when Maks is the one who did that dance on Broadway. Not only that, but this is probably one of the dances Meryl is best suited for with her background in lifts. It tends to be a very big crowd pleaser of a dance and one that scores highly. No matter who received Meryl, the odds were that they were going to receive raves in part because they had an excellent draw of a dance. That doesn't mean Val didn't do a good job with Meryl, but that does mean that the dance style made it easier to harness Meryl's natural skills they way a cha cha or a rhumba wouldn't. 

It's also irksome to me that Maks and Meryl didn't receive much credit in the scores for really ambitious routines weeks 1 and 2. Then week 3 Maks added more story and gets rewarded. Is it any wonder he went for more story and performance value with Danica? Sure I think it's a valid criticism to say he went too far, but considering the number of jives we've seen over the years that have little to no actual jive, I thought Julianne was way out of line. She also seems to think Meryl performed a jive week 2 based on one of hier interviews which is just false. There's no reason to expect Danica week 4 to match Meryl week 2 or to blame Maks for that not happening. They're different people with different skill sets performing different dances. 

Maybe I just got spoiled week 3 when suddenly the judges decided Maks is capable of getting something right. I enjoyed Maks' first three dances with Meryl and I hope now that the switch is over there will be more great dances from them. I love their chemistry and I don't care about 'what could have been' with other partners. I just want an enjoyable season of Maks with Meryl. They are fantastic individually and together.

• Love 1

Agree completely about the show giving the AT away in switch week. Val did a fine job but that dance was cold- not a bit of heat or sexiness in it. I don't know where people saw the chemistry they're mentioning between Val & Meryl, either. I saw Meryl politely going along with him in their rehearsal pkg but none of the chemistry & warmth she shares with Maks on and off the dance floor.

I really hope that M&M get to do an AT, too. I'm starting to wonder if the show intentionally gave away what could have been their best dance to inhibit a potential Meryl victory. The weekly overpraise, overscoring and lack of critique for Amy makes me wonder if we're being prepped for another potential DH victory. Sigh.

The people claiming that if Maks doesn't win with Meryl that it's on him are wrong. A long more goes into a potential victory than just the pro's contribution. The fawning over Derek's horrendously lazy switch dance with NeNe & Amy's score added to the AT being taken from M&M this week doesn't add up to a potential win for Meryl. And that's not on Maks.

Additionally, what's with the only celebrity in this season's cast who actually looks like a Disney princess not being one in her routine for Disney week? Rumor has it that M&M are doing something "different." After this week's producer shenanigans, I shudder to think what that might be.

I LOVED that AT.  Val completely slayed the choreo on that.  It was fast and precise it blew me away (and that rarely happens anymore).  I thought it was powerful/aggressive and passionate.  Meryl was just so FIERCE.  I loved that side of her.  I didn't want to see a sexual AT with her and Val.  Too weird after last week's sexual charged foxtrot with Maks.  Maks & Meryl have great chemistry I think they'll be fine going forward.

At the same time I understand folks being pissed that she didn't get to do it with Maks.  My guess is they will save it for the end of the season and give her and Maks authentic AT music.

On AfterBuzz, Artem had some interesting remarks re: the differences between Val's AT with Meryl and Maks's foxtrot with same.  He was completely blown away by the foxtrot. As was I.  I love Val and barely like Maks, but I feel in my gut that foxtrot was better than it got credit for.  I think Val and Meryl are more striking together and I'm sure they could develop chemistry if they thought it was appropriate to.

I always had a love/hate thing with Maks. Some seasons I enjoyed him a lot and others, I was more than happy to watch him leave. A lot of it depended on his celebrity. I loved him with Mel B. and I actually liked him and Erin. He and Hope were just a hot mess. However, I realized in his absence that I actually didn't miss him and was fine with him not coming back and this season so far has not changed my mind on that. I don't find his passive aggressive swipes at the judges cute or him as cheeky and adorable as he seems to think he is. And honestly, I haven't been impressed with his choreography with Meryl. The foxtrot was nice, yes but something has been off for me with Meryl until this week's tango with Val. And I always knew the problem was not her. Honestly I find Maks almost delusionally in love with himself at times. It's why he can act like the show is the worse thing ever and like he's almost better than it but have no problems coming back and clearly being desperate to win the mirror ball.

It's also the reason he has constantly stuck his foot in his mouth, making comments about how unfair something is one season and then nothing when he's the beneficiary of this unfairness. Case in point - the ringer issue. He was the one to talk the loudest and run his mouth about how unfair it was that Melissa was on the show during S8 because he was stuck that season with the "going nowhere" Denise Richards. Even talked about how he was saying what all the other pros were thinking and too afraid to say. Because yes, Maks clearly speaks for all. And yet, right now he has one of the ringerest ringer that ever ringed since Nicole Scherzinger and not a peep about it and I guarantee if any other celeb or pro complains, he'll be ranting like nobody's business. I don't dislike Maks per se but I can just as easily take or leave him. And given a choice between the Chmerkovsky brothers, I'd pick Val any day.

• Love 1
It's also the reason he has constantly stuck his foot in his mouth, making comments about how unfair something is one season and then nothing when he's the beneficiary of this unfairness. Case in point - the ringer issue. He was the one to talk the loudest and run his mouth about how unfair it was that Melissa was on the show during S8 because he was stuck that season with the "going nowhere" Denise Richards. Even talked about how he was saying what all the other pros were thinking and too afraid to say. Because yes, Maks clearly speaks for all. And yet, right now he has one of the ringerest ringer that ever ringed since Nicole Scherzinger and not a peep about it and I guarantee if any other celeb or pro complains, he'll be ranting like nobody's business. I don't dislike Maks per se but I can just as easily take or leave him. And given a choice between the Chmerkovsky brothers, I'd pick Val any day.

This double standard applies to all of the pros. They all love ringers when they have them and hate them when they don't. And Maks had made several comments alluding to Meryl being a ringer, even to Erin Andrews in their interviews on the show. He admits things are easier with Meryl. This sort of issue exemplifies why I find a lot of the criticism aimed at Maks frustrating. Why single him out for something all of the pros do? That's the good and bad of Maks being a polarizing pro. He draws fire for things other pros do, yet he also benefits from the extra attention. It's all part of the package, I guess.

Also, this Maks verses Val issue is one reason I hated the switch up. I love Maks and find Val to be utterly obnoxious and charmless. Val certainly gets away with saying obnoxious things that would be the controversy of the week if Maks said them. The show is now inviting the comparison among the pros with the switch and Sharna said it very well when she criticized the show for playing the pros off each other this past week. If this is a competition among the pros.

I would love to just focus on the great season that Maks can have with Meryl and not worry about what the other pros would do with her. This is Maks' partnership with Meryl. I'm happy that switch week is in the past.

• Love 3
This double standard applies to all of the pros.

Actually no, since off the top of my head I can't remember Cheryl, Derek, Mark and any number of pros complaining about a celebrity and calling it unfair. Cheryl in a taped segment once stated the obvious that the show has never been fair because you've always had people with dance backgrounds, more popularity, athletes, etc. But she has never called out a celebrity like Maks did with the Melissa situation, saying her being there was unfair. And neither has Derek, Mark, Peta, Sharna, etc. But as Maks informed us, he was speaking for them all apparently.

• Love 1

I don't remember Mark whining. I do remember that on The View after they were eliminated, when asked about all of the comments made about Bristol and how she way overstayed her welcome, he stated that people complain when there are celebrities on the show with a dance background and say it should be about people who don't know how to dance learning and yet when they had Bristol who had no dance background, some complained about her lasting too long when she was an example of what some say the show should be about. Now don't get me wrong, I disagreed because I couldn't stand Bristol and stopped watching the season because of her but I thought Mark made a fair and reasonable argument. I didn't view that as whinging but of course ymmv.

I don't remember Mark whining. I do remember that on The View after they were eliminated, when asked about all of the comments made about Bristol and how she way overstayed her welcome, he stated that people complain when there are celebrities on the show with a dance background and say it should be about people who don't know how to dance learning and yet when they had Bristol who had no dance background, some complained about her lasting too long when she was an example of what some say the show should be about. Now don't get me wrong, I disagreed because I couldn't stand Bristol and stopped watching the season because of her but I thought Mark made a fair and reasonable argument. I didn't view that as whinging but of course ymmv.

I disagreed with him as well.  And, yes, I could not stand Bristol and her attitude.  But Mark was wrong in that she exemplified what the show was all about.  Getting someone who has no dance experience, sucks big time, lasts longer than other contestants that danced better than she did and then having her think she deserved high marks for bad, sloppy dancing and whining about not being gifted with such is NOT what the show is all about.  It's not what I watch for. 

It's great to see someone who has no dance experience come in and learn and improve every week.  It's nice to see someone surprise you with their growth.  It isn't nice to see someone that doesn't have the attitude that they deserve to have their asses kissed just because they're still around.  It's nice to see someone who has some self awareness,  know their limitations and be grateful for the extended opportunity that the audience might give them (Bill Engvall comes to mind).  

No people didn't bitch about Bristol only because she was a inexperienced and bad dancer.  They bitched because she was an entitled, whiny brat that lasted way, way, way past her best before date!

I didn't mean to turn this into a general ringer debate. My point was all of pros defend the celebrity they have at the time. Cheryl definitely has made comments about people like Chad and others being all the more impressive because they lack experience. Maybe she's a little more diplomatic about it, but most if not all of the pros will talk about how important improvement is when they have a star who starts weak and talk about the importance of overall skill when they have a ringer. Just because you haven't heard it or don't remember it doesn't mean it's not said. I don't think Maks is the only pro who tailors their pitch for what's important to the show based on the celebrity he has. 

Personally, I'd probably rather no ringers, but if there is going to be a major ringer I want to see her with Maks. I like the guy and I want to see as many weeks with him as I can. I'm really enjoying not only the dancing between Maks and Meryl but their rapport as well.

Just because you haven't heard it or don't remember it doesn't mean it's not said.

Well yes, I am going to go by what I have heard or seen with my own eyes and ears. I have watched the show since S1, I'm sure things gets said and done that never makes the edit. But the fact of the matter is I cannot find any example of other pros flat out calling out a celebrity being on the show and calling it unfair. Saying some celebrities have certain advantages is not equivalent imo to Maks flat out saying Melissa being on the show is unfair because she has more experience than other celebrities. The one statement is a general observation while the other was flat out calling someone out. But of course ymmv and like I said I don't dislike Maks per se. I just can simply take or leave him and I'm also not nearly as impressed with him as he clearly seems to be with himself. Oh and just to make sure there's no confusion, I don't have an issue with Meryl being a ringer as I never get bothered by the whole ringer drama and imo, that label is actually overused (someone takes a dance class when they were 10 and they're a ringer). 

Edited by truthaboutluv

This double standard applies to all of the pros. They all love ringers when they have them and hate them when they don't. And Maks had made several comments alluding to Meryl being a ringer, even to Erin Andrews in their interviews on the show. He admits things are easier with Meryl. This sort of issue exemplifies why I find a lot of the criticism aimed at Maks frustrating. Why single him out for something all of the pros do? That's the good and bad of Maks being a polarizing pro. He draws fire for things other pros do, yet he also benefits from the extra attention. It's all part of the package, I guess.

Also, this Maks verses Val issue is one reason I hated the switch up. I love Maks and find Val to be utterly obnoxious and charmless. Val certainly gets away with saying obnoxious things that would be the controversy of the week if Maks said them. The show is now inviting the comparison among the pros with the switch and Sharna said it very well when she criticized the show for playing the pros off each other this past week. If this is a competition among the pros.

I would love to just focus on the great season that Maks can have with Meryl and not worry about what the other pros would do with her. This is Maks' partnership with Meryl. I'm happy that switch week is in the past.

Couldn't agree more about Val. I've been following him for a long time because of his relationship with Maks and I can only guess that those who love him so much have no clue as to his real personality. He really toned himself down a lot when he joined DWTS but every so often his real personality will leak out- the nasty little misogynist who thinks he's superior to everyone and believes his own press. Last year he posted something so vulgar on DWTS' IG account that I won't even repeat it. He never misses the opportunity to pat himself on the back or crow about anything he does for someone else. Maks is quietly generous to his loved ones, Val makes sure the world knows he did something nice. I also don't care for Val's disloyalty to Maks when he tries not-so-subtly to undermine him in interviews and in his blog. He owes Maks more than he'll ever be able to repay but it's obvious that he also wants desperately to be the most famous brother. He's also weirdly dependent on Maks. He's been living in Maks' homes since he was fifteen and shows no sign of wanting to grow up, get his own place and be his own man. At 28 years old that's a total failure to launch.

Maks worked hard when he was a teenager and together with his father he founded the string of Dance With Me studios that pulled their family out of poverty. He continues to work hard as an adult, doing some of the behind the scenes work at the family business in addition to teaching there and his other ventures. Val shows up once in a while to teach a class and then tweet about it so everyone knows he worked. He'd be lucky to have half of Maks' heart and sense of self sacrifice. I can't imagine Maks ever eliminating Val from his success story as Val has done to Maks in interviews. Suddenly, Val is solely responsible for his good fortune and the years that Maks supported him financially so that he wouldn't have to quit competing never happened. Or the fact that Val benefitted greatly from the work Maks did in his childhood.

It's sad that the main thing Maks and Val have in common is that they both put Val first.

Whatever Maks said about Melissa, he said it ten seasons ago. It was a long time ago, and IMO everyone across the board has mellowed a lot about the presence of "ringers" since then. 

Just to be very clear, my opinion of Val and Maks is as it relates to DWTS, just as is my opinion of all the pros. I have neither the time or inclination to follow any of these people on social media and/or keep up with their goings on and personal life. So I don't really care who Val is in his private life or he and Maks' life story growing up. I am going by what I have seen on the show, what they choose to say and do while teaching their celebrity, interacting with the judges, etc. That is it. Perfect example, there was some pro clip last season discussing the advantages of certain celebrities versus others and Val made a comment that made it clear he was still upset about he and Zendaya losing. And even as someone who rooted for and wanted Zendaya to win, I thought, "dude, that wasn't even subtle. Sucks you lost but let it go." So if and when he does things on the show I find annoying or am put off by, I'll react in kind. As such, I have only gotten that from Maks which is why I have the opinion I have of him. 

• Love 1

It was reported in the media that he said it and then he was asked about it on Access Hollywood I believe and he basically stated that yes he thought her being on the show was unfair for others and that he was speaking for the other pros who were afraid to say they felt the same way. Karina, they were still engaged at the time, agreed with him and said that it wasn't anything against Melissa personally, that she was a lovely girl but the truth that it is unfair to others. Consequently she had The Woz that season. By the way, I know this was awhile back of course and my feelings on Maks is not really based on this. I just brought it up as an example of one of the times he speaks from both sides of his mouth if you will or more that he can be a hypocrite when it comes to the show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

It was reported in the media that he said it and then he was asked about it on Access Hollywood I believe and he basically stated that yes he thought her being on the show was unfair for others and that he was speaking for the other pros who were afraid to say they felt the same way. Karina, they were still engaged at the time, agreed with him and said that it wasn't anything against Melissa personally, that she was a lovely girl but the truth that it is unfair to others. Consequently she had The Woz that season. By the way, I know this was awhile back of course and my feelings on Maks is not really based on this. I just brought it up as an example of one of the times he speaks from both sides of his mouth if you will or more that he can be a hypocrite when it comes to the show. 

I brought up that it was outside of the show because of your comment that you only use what's on the show. But this also goes back to my point about Maks receiving more scrutiny. When other pros make critical remarks they tend not to get blown up in the press, particularly the pros who joined in the past few years. And I can't think of a single pro who I haven't heard talk out of both sides of their mouth. Not everyone has to like Maks, but I think the extra attention he gets means that his flaws are put under the microscope more often on the show and in the media. 

• Love 1
I brought up that it was outside of the show because of your comment that you only use what's on the show.

Yes I predicted as much. I guess I should have stated clearly that I only care about things related to the show when I said that I don't follow these people online or care about their personal life. I was responding to the comment about Val and how awful he is or isn't in comparison to Maks. And I stand by my comment that I go by what I know from the show about these people. Everything else is irrelevant to me as I don't care about any of them that much. It's like yes I know Mark Ballas is the son of Corky and Shirley Ballas who were both ballroom pros because it's been talked about in various DWTS media and brought up on the show. But I couldn't tell you a thing about Mark's personal life right now and anything else going on with him. And trust me I can highlight enough examples of Maks' behavior specifically on the show that I have found grating. 

It's sad that the main thing Maks and Val have in common is that they both put Val first.

It's amazing how differently people can read a situation because while I'm not criticizing anybody's views, I have followed both Maks and Val for a long time and have the complete opposite read on them.  I don't think Maks is a bad person or anything, but my main pet peeve with Val can be that he puts Maks first all of the time.  At least publicly.  Even this season he's made several comments in interviews that come off like he's hoping for a Meryl/Maks win.  However, the guy is in the competition with a pretty decent partner.  He talks about Maks, Maks, Maks in just about every blog and every interview.  It almost feels like he's rolled over this season for Maks.  I also don't buy the Val always puts Val first thing either or he wouldn't have put half the care into the choreography of that AT routine as he did.  He and Meryl were still rehearsing backstage through a good part of Monday night's show. 

I don't want to dredge up their personal lives though other than to say I think Val has grown up a lot in the last couple of years for reasons that aren't valid to this thread, but I also think that is fairly normal for a guy in his 20's.  I'm sure he's done dickish things, but so has Maks.  Also both of them can be fairly vulgar when they want to be.  Plus unless anybody here is actually friends with the Chmerkovskiy family we are all just speculating based on things we've seen publicly and none of us really know the truth to the ins and outs of their family.

Also keep in mind there is a fairly big age difference between Maks and Val.  6 years is a pretty big difference when you are growing up so it's not exactly surprising that there would have been periods where Maks worked to help support the family and Val didn't.   When Maks was 18, Val would have been about 12.

But Maks gets more of the criticism for being controversial publicly because he is generally more controversial publicly.  It doesn't matter what Val says behind the scenes since nobody but his own family/friends are around to hear that.  Val has gotten himself into trouble a few times during DWTS and there have been a few times I've wanted him to shut up, but Maks tends to be the one to let whatever is in his head come flying out of his mouth.  To his credit, he's been better about it this season.    

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

"Let's not beat around the bush, I got a ringer.  I think.   Let's say it's my turn to get one."

This coming from the guy who demanded for a supposed ringer in Season 13 and didn't get what he expected and then through a "woe is me" tantrum the whole rest of the damn season because she didn't meet his expectations. Not to mention all the chances he's had before. He screwed up big with Mel B after his freestyle choreography. Moreover, he had plenty of other opportunities with Erin and Brandy and even a few more.

I am really trying to give Maks a chance this season after the whole Hope thing, but I just can't even with him anymore. He can get off my TV anytime now. I wish Val had gotten Meryl....or Mark or anyone else but him and his self-entitled ego. 

• Love 2

This coming from the guy who demanded for a supposed ringer in Season 13 and didn't get what he expected and then through a "woe is me" tantrum the whole rest of the damn season because she didn't meet his expectations. Not to mention all the chances he's had before. He screwed up big with Mel B after his freestyle choreography. Moreover, he had plenty of other opportunities with Erin and Brandy and even a few more.

I am really trying to give Maks a chance this season after the whole Hope thing, but I just can't even with him anymore. He can get off my TV anytime now. I wish Val had gotten Meryl....or Mark or anyone else but him and his self-entitled ego. 

Maks didn't demand Hope because she was a ringer (ringer usually refers to dance experience, IMO), he campaigned for her to do the show. A foolish move in retrospect, but hardly a demand for a ringer. A lot of pros talk about their 'dream partners'.

Yes, Mel B. was a ringer, but she was also short on time with the finale and that severely limited what Maks could do with her. He's also had his share of non-ringers, far more than Mark or Val. I've also heard Mark and Val talk far too much to believe they don't have self-entitled egos.

Maks' personality definitely isn't for everyone, but for me he keeps things interesting. I think his tendency to shoot from the hip works well with Meryl's very PR friendly style. They balance each other out a bit and I'm seeing more of Meryl's sense of humor come out through their interactions.

• Love 1

Maks didn't demand Hope because she was a ringer (ringer usually refers to dance experience, IMO),

That's why I said "supposed" ringer. He himself assumed he could get to the final with her and after realizing she couldn't dance he got short-tempered with her the rest of the season. It's been stated that he specifically asked for Hope before the season started. He got his wish when he got her as a partner and it bit him in the ass big time. 

Maks' personality definitely isn't for everyone, but for me he keeps things interesting. I think his tendency to shoot from the hip works well with Meryl's very PR friendly style. They balance each other out a bit and I'm seeing more of Meryl's sense of humor come out through their interactions.

I agree he keeps things interesting, but, imo, it's definitely for the wrong reasons. He used to be one of my favorites, but after the last couple of seasons he doesn't even seem to enjoy it. What happens next season when his next partner isn't PR friendly or as capable to handle his tantrums? Is he going to be so humorous when he lashes out at the judges or whatever else doesn't go his way like the last couple of times? 

I'm not saying he's the only pro who does stupid crap, but he is by far the worst temperamentally and controversially in the group of pros and not in a good way at all. 

I'm not saying he's the only pro who does stupid crap, but he is by far the worst temperamentally and controversially in the group of pros and not in a good way at all. 

Many of Tony's exchanges with CAI through the years, especially after his partnership with Jane Seymour have been more cringe-inducing for me than anything Max has said during the show. Generally, I like Tony but I'd peg him as having the worst temperament of the pros in the group.

As for ringers, I think that the pros have come to realize that they don't always win. Stacy (paired with Tony), Mel B (with Maks), Evan (with Anna), Mario (with Karina), etc. The only ones who have been able to overcome a Star being considered a ringer are Derek (on several occasions), Julianne (with Apollo) and Mark (with Kristie and Shawn). To read about NeNe tearing into Max about wanting to go back to his "professional partner" seems silly to me, because every celebrity brings his or her own advantages to the table. Everyone in cast, including NeNe, had a certain advantage over BDW and Diana, for example. 

As for what remains to be seen this season, I was happier when Meryl/Maks were in it for the fun and not necessarily for the win. Charlie and Meryl bring a split fanbase and Amy's backstory (along with being paired with Derek), I think, will play a large part in the end result. That said, if Maks needs the tension to produce a Tango like what they performed on Party Anthem week, and Meryl can handle his intensity, then we may be in store for some pretty amazing stuff in the coming weeks. I'll have to rely on Meryl for the cue on what she can handle and not on anything the producers choose to highlight in packages.

Since next season has been mentioned, I don't think there will be a next season for Maks.  I expect this to be his swan song.  At least for now.  Because he's either going to win and finally feel like he proved himself and he will be able to walk away from the show for awhile or he's going to lose a close race and be very, very bitter.  I don't really buy the whole deal about Maks turning over a new leaf.  He wants a win bad, just like the rest of the pros.  And if he loses I don't think he's going to be able to walk back in and handle the typical type DWTS partners.  He's not going to get another Meryl and I doubt he can deal with anything less at this point.

• Love 5

spanana, I think you are correct that this will be Maks last season but I am pretty sure I have heard him say that himself in some interviews. Something along the lines of how he came back so "my grandmother will get to see me dance on the show one more time" or something. Of course, before he actually took the last 2 seasons off, he often talked about not coming back so who knows. 

Also while Maks isn't old in real people years, he's getting up there in dancer years, and he seems to reference his age and how much he hurts more and more of late.  So I think that is probably also another factor with him.

Didn't Maks only have one season left on his contract anyway? Or was it one year...

This is an excellent way of putting it. Meryl probably needed someone like Maks in order for her rehearsal packages to be interesting. I've enjoyed them as a team, although I think I'd have enjoyed her with pretty much any of the male pros. 

• Love 1

Didn't Maks only have one season left on his contract anyway? Or was it one year...

A lot of stuff has been said about his contract. I heard it was 2 seasons, but it's also possible there was some re-negotiating before he came back this year. I haven't heard any recent statements about whether he's still under contract after this season.

Also while Maks isn't old in real people years, he's getting up there in dancer years, and he seems to reference his age and how much he hurts more and more of late.  So I think that is probably also another factor with him.

Interestingly, Maks brought this up in a pre-season interview. I think it was something for his studios' website. He mentioned how some of his family and friends kept going to see him in Forever Tango and he asked why they were there so much. They told him they didn't know if they'd get to see him dance like that again. Maks cited that as one reason for coming back as a dancer as opposed to a judge. He says he can judge later but he may not always be able to dance. The offer, or at least discussion, for Maks becoming a judge isn't out of the blue either. ABC's Entertainment President Paul Lee expressed told the press he thought Maks did well as a judge last season. It's rare for someone at that level at the network to comment on a pro like that.

Since next season has been mentioned, I don't think there will be a next season for Maks.  I expect this to be his swan song.  At least for now.  Because he's either going to win and finally feel like he proved himself and he will be able to walk away from the show for awhile or he's going to lose a close race and be very, very bitter.  I don't really buy the whole deal about Maks turning over a new leaf.  He wants a win bad, just like the rest of the pros.  And if he loses I don't think he's going to be able to walk back in and handle the typical type DWTS partners.  He's not going to get another Meryl and I doubt he can deal with anything less at this point.

Can't we just enjoy this season? (joking!) I've thought about this too, but I'm more optimistic. Maks has said he's fine having never one, and I believe him. He says he's done alright in his life without the Mirror Ball, and that's true. I think he would love to win and still wants it, but he's trying to balance that desire to win with the knowledge that he can't control the outcome. It would be sad and really diminish his accomplishments if the win were the only marker of success.

I think Maks has learned to deal with not winning over the years. He reacted badly after S5, but much better after S10 and S12. He had dinner with Kym and Hines the night after they beat him. He was genuinely happy for Peta's win her second season. He pushed hard for Val on All Stars. He's capable of being happy for his peers. He also seemed happy for Charlie's 10 last night and disappointed in Charlie's 8. I think he'd be happy for Charlie and Sharna if they won while still being disappointed for himself. If the show and the network handle things right, I think he could be ready to go for another season. Of course I wouldn't ask him if he would be back 5 minutes after a loss. I'm sure that would yield a very colorful answer.

• Love 1

He's capable of being happy for his peers. He also seemed happy for Charlie's 10 last night and disappointed in Charlie's 8. I think he'd be happy for Charlie and Sharna if they won while still being disappointed for himself.

I actually watched Maks' reaction during Charlie's scores instead of Charlie's. His response combined with Val's tweet makes me think it wasn't just fans that Charlie's scores were unpopular with. That said, I think that while the pros tend to be generally supportive of each other and the stars, the Charlie/Sharna/Meryl/Maks situation is a unique one. Because of SOI, they spend far more time together than any pair of couples that I can recall. Edited by Flick
  • Love 1

I actually watched Maks' reaction during Charlie's scores instead of Charlie's. His response combined with Val's tweet makes me think it wasn't just fans that Charlie's scores were unpopular with. That said, I think that while the pros tend to be generally supportive of each other and the stars, the Charlie/Sharna/Meryl/Maks situation is a unique one. Because of SOI, they spend far more time together than any pair of couples that I can recall.

Agreed, Flick. I think the 4 of them have a little rooting section going for each other because of the traveling. Also, until last night, I had just sort of assumed that both Meryl and Charlie will be in the final. When they said Charlie was in jeopardy (though who knows if that really means he was in the bottom) it occurred to me that things could get a little weird on that Stars on Ice Tour if one of them goes home before the final and the other is still dragging his or her partner along and training for the show. 

I've read reports that some do date. Maks in particular was previously linked with Erin Andrews which makes the AH interview very interesting when they bring it up briefly. Meryl and Charlie have spent years cultivating chemistry between them on the ice, to the point that Charlie had been mum on his relationship with Tanith Belbin (who I wanted to see as a contestant the year Evan was on...I guess Gold Medal trumps Pewter:sadface) until recently and I think cited the need to sell the on ice relationship with Meryl.

My guess, is that these performers are putting on a show and every aspect of their partnership including rehearsal packages is part of the product they are promoting in order to inspire the audience to vote for them to stay on the show. In a previous season, Val and Kelly were able to ride the storyline of a passionate love affair all the way to the finals...the chemistry in their dances was helped by the storyline, I think. 

Maks has been "tamed" before, I think, with Erin as mentioned above but also in a non-romantic way he's been "matched in passion" on the dance floor by Laila and Mel B; he's been nurturing and attentive with Brandi and Kirstie (also flirty with Kirstie). The storyline with Meryl is either a greatest hits smorgasbord or something more meaningful...it remains to be seen. I can see where the attraction could be genuine because Meryl has been training in the Russian style for many years as an Ice Dancer so I doubt she's put off by his expectations as a teacher which, in turn, is inspirational and exciting for Maks. Also, it's important to remember that she, too, is exploring presenting a different side of herself publicly, as much as Maks is. The process can be exhilarating and I can see where it could lead to something more...or not.

In Charlie's package Meryl mentioned that for the first few days, she's Maks' student but then when it comes time to perform, she's his partner. The way it was presented, it was kind of an awkward throwaway comment, but I think it's, in a nutshell, what makes the M&M pairing so compellingly entertaining to watch.

• Love 1

Glaadrial, 

I noticed that throwaway comment from Meryl as well and thought it was really interesting and probably explains a lot about how well Meryl and Maks are working together. I think that both Meryl and Charlie are so used to having coaches that they both bring this same attitude to training for DWTS. Even though Charlie's pre-dance packages are about 30 seconds long, we've only seen him doing exactly what Sharna asks. Neither he nor Meryl have been shown making suggestions or questioning the direction from Maks and Sharna during training the way it seems almost every celeb does at some point. I think this is an ideal setup for a pro, particularly Maks who hates being questioned. Meryl is likely a perfect partner for him as she defers to him all week in training and then can turn it on and deliver an excellent performance on show night. 

Maks has been "tamed" before, I think, with Erin as mentioned above but also in a non-romantic way he's been "matched in passion" on the dance floor by Laila and Mel B; he's been nurturing and attentive with Brandi and Kirstie (also flirty with Kirstie). The storyline with Meryl is either a greatest hits smorgasbord or something more meaningful...it remains to be seen.

I think that's exactly what Maks meant when he said that "all things combined" Meryl was his best partner ever. He likes her, they get along, they have fun together and she's a professional dancer so he can choreograph at a much higher level that he's used to and give her things to do where he doesn't have to worry about whether she can pull them off or it will all come together by show time. 

In Charlie's package Meryl mentioned that for the first few days, she's Maks' student but then when it comes time to perform, she's his partner. The way it was presented, it was kind of an awkward throwaway comment, but I think it's, in a nutshell, what makes the M&M pairing so compellingly entertaining to watch.

That comment actually struck me as the "professional" version of the whole thing he and Erin used to do about "Well, today we're married and tomorrow we're divorced and the next day we make up, blah blah blah." LOL

One thing with Maks - he tends, more than any other pro, to get fully immersed in his partner every season. Rarely do you see him befriend any of the other celebrities or even offer public praise or compliments for anyone, follow them on Twitter, etc. The last time I remember him actually befriending another celebrity was Kurt Warner, who happened to be a friend of Erin's. Cheryl and Val in particular seem to make a lot of friends each season and Cheryl, more than anyone, seems to retain those friendships. 

I think that's exactly what Maks meant when he said that "all things combined" Meryl was his best partner ever. He likes her, they get along, they have fun together and she's a professional dancer so he can choreograph at a much higher level that he's used to and give her things to do where he doesn't have to worry about whether she can pull them off or it will all come together by show time.

I agree with most of this, except that Meryl is not a "professional dancer". I know that choreography is part of their sport, but gliding on ice is not the same as dancing on wood. The advantage that Meryl (and Charlie and Amy) has is that she's an athlete at the highest level of her sport. That makes Maks' job both easier and harder. It's easier because she is in peak physical condition and has the stamina to do the routines that others could not do. It's harder because she has so much potential that it's on him to give her training and choreography worthy of her abilities.

(edited)
Meryl and Charlie have spent years cultivating chemistry between them on the ice, to the point that Charlie had been mum on his relationship with Tanith Belbin. [snip] My guess, is that these performers are putting on a show and every aspect of their partnership including rehearsal packages is part of the product they are promoting in order to inspire the audience to vote for them to stay on the show.

I don't think there is a basis for comparison between Meryl's approach to being Charlie and Maks's partner. Charlie said that he doesn't discuss his relationship with Tanith in the media because he wants people to focus on his partnership with Meryl. You don't want the cameras constantly flitting to Tanith before and after their performances like they do to "the Moms" or to Tanith when she dated Evan. You want to maintain the illusion Meryl and Charlie create on the ice as much as possible. But in the media Meryl NEVER played coy about she and Charlie, and they were always quick to completely shut down any queries and say they were both in other relationships. It was definitely not a showmance.

With Maks, Meryl has declined to say whether she is dating anyone, she is very coy, and questions are evaded or ignored. It's very different.

Edited by fembotz
(edited)

I don't think there is a basis for comparison between Meryl's approach to being Charlie and Maks's partner. Charlie said that he doesn't discuss his relationship with Tanith in the media because he wants people to focus on his partnership with Meryl. You don't want the cameras constantly flitting to Tanith before and after their performances like they do to "the Moms" or to Tanith when she dated Evan. You want to maintain the illusion Meryl and Charlie create on the ice as much as possible. But in the media Meryl NEVER played coy about she and Charlie, and they were always quick to completely shut down any queries and say they were both in other relationships. It was definitely not a showmance.

With Maks, Meryl has declined to say whether she is dating anyone, she is very coy, and questions are evaded or ignored. It's very different.

That could just be because she's more willing to use the idea of a showmance to get votes than to have one randomly out there for no benefit.  Also, the difference could be in the cooperation/willingness of the other person to be used that way.

I'm just saying I don't know if we should read too much into her possibly just playing with the media. It's TV, and she knows that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

All true! I just wanted to point out that IMO this is definitely not her usual M.O. with how to deal with questions about whether she is in a relationship with her partner. 

One thing with Maks - he tends, more than any other pro, to get fully immersed in his partner every season. Rarely do you see him befriend any of the other celebrities or even offer public praise or compliments for anyone, follow them on Twitter, etc. The last time I remember him actually befriending another celebrity was Kurt Warner, who happened to be a friend of Erin's. Cheryl and Val in particular seem to make a lot of friends each season and Cheryl, more than anyone, seems to retain those friendships. 

I think that's inaccurate. Maks is close with a lot of the pros, that usually gives him an in with a lot of celebrities. Some post-Kurt examples of his pals would be Chelsea, Hines, Carson Kresly, Chyna Philips, Donald Driver (who has tweeted support for Maks even after Maks and Peta split), Maria Menunous to name only a few. Then there's All Stars where Joey, Sabrina, Kelly were all his buddies before that season. He befriended Gilles during the season. That's just a partial list. There are probably more that he gets along with even if even if he doesn't follow them on twitter or isn't seen publicly goofing off with. He currently doesn't follow Charlie on twitter even though they seem to get along really well. It's odd to assume he's not friends with these people based on twitter follows or mentions that one person sees. It's hard to say something isn't out there just because one person didn't see it.

Do people on this show date even 5% of the times that's rumored?  Man, it always seems to be the go-to rumor.

Yep, DWTS loves the are-they-or-aren't-they couples. So does Access Hollywood. I think the internet drives a lot of that stuff too. I'd place my bet on Maks and Meryl being just friends. I love their chemistry and their partnership regardless. The Access Hollywood interview was fun, even if Billy and Kit remind me of SNL characters with their over the top reactions to everything.

I think that's inaccurate. Maks is close with a lot of the pros, that usually gives him an in with a lot of celebrities. Some post-Kurt examples of his pals would be Chelsea, Hines, Carson Kresly, Chyna Philips, Donald Driver (who has tweeted support for Maks even after Maks and Peta split), Maria Menunous to name only a few. Then there's All Stars where Joey, Sabrina, Kelly were all his buddies before that season. He befriended Gilles during the season. That's just a partial list. There are probably more that he gets along with even if even if he doesn't follow them on twitter or isn't seen publicly goofing off with. He currently doesn't follow Charlie on twitter even though they seem to get along really well. It's odd to assume he's not friends with these people based on twitter follows or mentions that one person sees. It's hard to say something isn't out there just because one person didn't see it.

I'm not talking about an outing or dinner during a season or an occasional good luck tweet. Val and particularly Cheryl interact with celebrities other than their own partners during the season, and continue to interact with former contestants long after they're done with the show. Maks rarely does. Then again, other than Erin and Kirstie, he barely seems to have anything to do with his own partners once their seasons are over.