Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings: Heroes Always Get Up

At least the 0.9 is 18-49 demo, not total ratings. It had 3.22 million viewers in all. Am I completely off base in thinking a period piece musical rom-com  just might appeal more to older and younger crowds than young-to-middle-aged adults?

The problem is that the 18-49 demo is the only one that counts as far as advertisers are concerned, and they're the ones who pay for the show.

Season 1: 4 weeks

2.0 (premiere)

1.3 (against the Globes made out of gold)

0.9 (against the AFC championship game)

1.3 (finale)

Season 2: 5 weeks

0.9 (premiere)

0.6 (Globes)

0.5 (NFC Champ)

0.6 (finale, also against Grease Live)

I'd say we're doomed.  ABC has to be thinking of some kind of overhaul for the night, especially in January/February in between cycles of OUAT/Quantico.  This year has just been the disastrous performances of Galavant and repeats of Quantico/Agent carter.  I would love to see a miracle happen, but last year you could at least make a small argument, which I just don't see this time.

I have to believe the real money is in the long-term residual income from DVDs, streaming video sales, international rights etc.   This is the type of show that will do well long term and keep producing income as people find it and fall in love with it.   And ABC/Disney produces it, right?   So their decision will be based on how much they will earn from this over the years, not just based on Sunday night demos in January, when they must have some pretty low expectations anyway.

• Love 1

NOTE TO DISNEY: I have over a dozen young cousins that I could be buying official Galavant® dolls/action figures, playsets, lunchboxes, storybooks, coloring books, and Halloween costumes for. If there were any.

• Love 2

I think that Galavant season 3 depends a lot on whether ABC continues to stick to their strategy for Dec/Jan or not.

If they stick with event shows and with how Galavant and Agent Carter are doing in the ratings, what is the likelihood that ABC decides they can develop something else to get higher ratings in this period?  At least these are generally critically well received.  And there is a reason that they went with Carter and Galavant for event programming.  They don't really have any reality shows or classic ABC shows that they can dust off and do 6-8 episodes on.  That's why ABC went to the Marvel and Disney cartoon talent for event TV shows.  So I think if they stick with this model, Galavant has better odds for season 3 than say when ABC can start rolling out Star Wars universe TV shows and I don't think they are there yet.

I think Galavant really has no chance if one of two things happen.  They look at CBS and CW and decide they are willing to burn new episodes of shows.  Or they decide that its more cost effective to go back to reruns until all these special events that break up the schedule end and concede the night.  I really can't see them doing the later because every other network is more effective at programming this period and I don't think they are that willing to let habits form with eyeballs on other networks more than is happening already.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

We just need to super believe in Galavant Season 3!

I just have to add that although I don't do save my show campaigns.  They provided a perfect opportunity for that.

I super believe in Galavant and mailing plastic toy lizards to ABC.

• Love 1

I really hope ABC brings this show back.  I'm dubious about the chances of that happening but I'm right there on Twitter and my FB, talking about the show, and definitely participating in the campaign to #RenewGalavant. 

I do think there are some good points made about why ABC might not think ratings are nearly as important with shows like Galavant and Agent Carter.  It's not a bad strategy and, as a long-time Alias fan, I can tell you, that Sunday 8pm time slot in January is a killer.  It's hard to gain any traction there, IMO, especially when you've got to contend with the NFL, Golden Globes, and one-offs like Fox's musical. 

One really important thing that hasn't happened yet is a UK pick up.  If the show gets picked up there, I think it would probably help it's renewal chances here in the US. 

• Love 2

Well, the bad news is that ABC didn't renew Galavant during its early renewal announcements today.  The good news is that it hasn't been canceled yet, either.  It's official status is "TBD."  http://tvline.com/2016/03/03/abc-renewed-series-2016-greys-anatomy-shield/

The same thing happened last year. No decision was announced until the last minute. Hopefully ABC will see DVD potential and note the positive word of mouth.

Yeah but I don't recall ABC doing anything like they did today either, renewing over half its schedule a full 2 months earlier than usual. So many renewals today. I would say it's sadly time to prepare for the worst.

Yeah but I don't recall ABC doing anything like they did today either, renewing over half its schedule a full 2 months earlier than usual. So many renewals today. I would say it's sadly time to prepare for the worst.

They didn't renew any of their winter fill-ins, so I don't think it's time to prepare for the worst.  I think ABC is trying to figure out what they're going to do about the black hole that is January for TV. 

Keep tweeting - @ABCNetwork @bensherwood that you want them to #RenewGalavant and give us a #GalavantSeason3. Go to ABC's website and send them feedback, telling them how much you love Galavant and want them to renew it, tell them that you'd buy merchandise & DVD/BluRay if they sold them.  Keep sharing this smart, funny, superb show with your friends and family and help grow the fanbase.

• Love 2

I feel like Galavant has a chance because it's a fill-in for OUAT with a similar genre and has developed a small fanbase who might buy Complete Series and music releases. Of course, the change in president makes me nervous, but I'm going to hold out hope...

• Love 2