Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Jay Leno, Salman Rushdie, Carly Fiorina, Paul Begala, Chris Hardwick

• Start Topic

Comedy legend Jay Leno, literary icon Salman Rushdie, Ex-HP CEO Carly Fiorina, American political consultant and political commentator Paul Begala and @midnight host and chief executive officer of Nerdist Industries Chris Hardwick

it's the idiot Fiorina who will upset me.

How does she keep getting booked on TV shows ?  She drove HP into the ground, is a failed political candidate and a Republican hack.  Yet somehow she also shows up on Sunday morning news shows as an authority on ... I don't know what.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I kind of hope they go off on a 60 minute diatribe on religion. 

Fuck no! My eyes roll to the back of my head whenever Bill attempts to talk about religion, in his own manner. Besides, there are other topics that are also worth discussing after a long hiatus, like the war the New York police union have been declaring on mayor Bill De Blassio after the shooting of two NYPD officers by a lunatic, or Mitch McConnell trying to take credit, on behalf of Republicans, over the improved U.S. economy, after spending years trying to sabatoge it in hopes of pinning it all on President Obama.

• Love 5

Bill did take on the police union acting like a bunch of babies.

Leno was ok.  I never thought he was that funny but he seems like a really nice person.

Carly Fiorina is a complete waste of space.  I wish someone would start a petition that she never appear on his show again. Suddenly she's worried about poverty.  When she questioned how we were going to pay for the free first two years of college that Pres. Obama is going to propose, I wish Bill had said, how about if we take some money out of that bloated Military budget and put some of it into educating our kids.

• Love 6
Carly Fiorina is a complete waste of space.  I wish someone would start a petition that she never appear on his show again.

And apparently someone has surgically removed her sense of humor.  Does she know that other people on the panel were telling jokes ?  Her speaking style is eerily similar to Peggy Noonan (which is not a good thing) -- taking forever to get to the point, the weird head movements, the slow yet clear enunciation.

Suddenly she's worried about poverty.

Anytime a Republican is worried about poverty and income inequality, it's a sign that they are probably running for public office.  So Paul Begala's comment about Fiorina running for President in 2016 may not be all that far off target (and she basically confirmed that during the Overtime segment on the web that "people" are interested in her running for President).

I really enjoy Salman Rushdie's view on things -- not much seems to phase him. When they were discussing the position of muslim extremism relating to this week's attacks in France and he said, "as you know I have a little experience with this.".  And sure they mocked him about dating younger women, but come on he was married to Padma Lakshmi. </luckybastard>

• Love 3

Did Fiorina have "work done"?  And that odd attempt at being demure or something with the head to the side was very distracting.  Yeah sure Carly, people want you to run for POTUS, not.  That had to be the shortest Overtime in history!

Aside from Carly, I enjoyed the show.

I get why she's not running, but I'm sad that we'll be losing Boxer in the Senate.

• Love 1

Given the events of the week, combined with Bill's views on Islam, combined with Rushdie, this was clearly going to be must-see TV. And it was. I wondered how, in his opening monologue, he would achieve the delicate balance of finding humor in the sickening events. Or whether he would attempt to find humor at all. To his credit and my awe, he realized he's a comedian and his job is to find the comedic angle, no matter how difficult or at what risk to the audience's sensibilities. And he found it, hitting just the right tone to allow the audience some kind of catharsis. He didn't say, "Some things are too awful to joke about." It might have been his finest hour.

• Love 6

As for why Overtime was so short (less than four minutes) I have a couple of guesses. One is that Bill skipped over several questions of a religious nature (I heard him mention that) which would have dragged the set out much longer.

Another possibility is that they wanted to get Rushdie out of the studio ASAP. But who knows for sure?

Did anyone else's live viewing freeze during the beginning when Rushdie was saying something humorous, and then go back to normal? I need to rewatch on Demand; hoping it was just a glitch during the live show, and that demand will allow me to hear his complete sentence. It was at least two or three. And no, it wasn't the line about how he said he was "familiar with this" when talking about Iran.

Fiorina, or whatever her name is, can just get off my screen and never come back.

I'm also glad Begalla got to say more than three words, as I really enjoy him. Now I'm off to watch Overtime.

• Love 2

Did anyone else's live viewing freeze during the beginning when Rushdie was saying something humorous, and then go back to normal?

Yes, that happened. I had the impression we didn't miss much, i.e. that it was pretty easy to fill in the missing few words from context. But if you discover something revelatory, please share it.

• Love 1

What if you took everything Bill and the panel said about Islam and Muslims and applied it to cops?

ALL should be viewed with distrust

Even if you're not committing bad acts your being a member makes you culpable even if you don't say anything

I wish Bill had gone harder on murderous police who are protected by the "good apples".

• Love 4

What if you took everything Bill and the panel said about Islam and Muslims and applied it to cops?

ALL should be viewed with distrust

Even if you're not committing bad acts your being a member makes you culpable even if you don't say anything

I wish Bill had gone harder on murderous police who are protected by the "good apples".

I think Catholicism might be an even more effective, albeit less timely argument, not because I have anything specific against Catholics but because the good apples got some very well-deserved flack for protecting pedophile priests. Similarly, the good apples in LE have no business protecting reactionary assholes that make the public and fellow LEOs LESS safe.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 4

You guys were right--nothing relevant or substantive said in the few seconds where the live show froze up with static. Just Rushdie saying how it's their job (satirists/comedians) to be rude, but that Bill does a better job. Okay.

And upon re-watching, I noticed that twat, Fiorina, every single time she interjected with her nonsensical statements, cutting off Rushdie, as if what he was saying wasn't true, or anti-American, defending the terrorists or something. I found myself yelling at my screen (something I don't do; well, very rarely), at her, for trying to change the subject or turn it toward her point of view/what she wanted to talk about.  And I really didn't care for her speaking s l o w l y, e n u n c i a t i n g ever single word as if the panel and the audience were a bunch of five year olds who were dimwits and didn't understand the English language.

Or maybe it was just me, since I just wanted to snatch her bald. And Overtime was a waste. That's five minutes I'll never get back; like I give a shit if she's running for President.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

I thought it was a disappointing season premier given how much has happened during the hiatus and how much else they could have discussed. I've honestly never heard of Charlie Hebdo in my life and now it's all I seem to read about everywhere I look, and someone on the panel touched on why that probably is - because it happened to journalists so it's all anyone is covering at the moment. Tragic, sure, but maybe not quite as newsworthy as they're making it out to be and I didn't need the entire panel portion of the show devoted to it.

I should have known, though, that Bill would seize this event and use it as his latest cudgel to attack Islam. At least he did cop to the fact that at one time in history Christianity was just as bad, a point he's argued against more or less in the past.

I think the most sickening and frustrating thing was seeing someone like Carly Fiorini talk about income inequality when the Republican party is largely responsible for that. They either won't admit it or genuinely don't believe it and I don't know which is worse, being that disingenuous or that ignorant.

• Love 3

I suspect the "solution" to her professed concern about poverty and income inequality is -- wait for it -- tax cuts for the wealthy. Guess it frees up more money for the job creators to use to solve the problem of course, as everyone knows they totally do.

• Love 5

I thought Bill was particularly tame regarding religion. Compared to the 3 or 4 shows around the time when BA was making an ass of himself. I was actually pretty disappointed. Getting killed for drawing a picture is ridiculous. And not even all Muslims think that either. It's not some universal rule of islam.

I thought Leno was pretty good. I like when the guest is part of the panel. I wish they talked more about the free community college education. You actually have to maintain a gpa so it's not a total hand out. As for paying for it, I wouldn't think it's too too difficult. 

The woman was terrible. I really couldn't say what her points were. I don't know why she was ripping on CA either. Things have turned around a lot since Brown was governor. 

Guess it frees up more money for the job creators to use to solve the problem of course, as everyone knows they totally do. 

TDS awesomely did a piece on KS where they passed a law getting rid of taxes for business owners. One guy was like, "I kept the money. I don't need to hire anyone. We have enough workers."

• Love 1

In hindsight watching things over the weekend, stagnant wages, inequality and poverty are the new GOP talking points.  Because you know, Keystone will fix all that with a plethora of good paying jobs and help in the pocket book with more energy from our good neighbor.  So Fiorina was on point... with the GOPer talking points.

• Love 1