Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
turnitwayup

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I was thinking if Casket take down Locksat together, head home, congratulating themselves, then time jump to next season five years out and learn that Beckett got run over by a bus or something totally unrelated to a crime or her rabbit holing, that would at least be ironic. And Castle used to appreciate irony. If she dies fighting crime and they remember even a shred of his character I don't see how they do goofy PI and flavor of the week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

So I just saw this Tweet from Rob Hanning with an early draft of the script for Recoil.  He has notes from Marlowe about starting with a Caskett moment that gets interrupted. I should find that sad, but it's just hilarious to me that that's a note to intentionally do that.

https://twitter.com/RobHanning/status/728371972279656448

Yeah sad but funny at the same time, goes to show that the inherent attitude problems of the writers towards this couple and how to portray them in a relationship didn't start with Hawley they were ingrained with Marlowe, I see many fans forgetting that, then again these clowns have been doing such an awful job they're making Marlowe look like a genius lol. 

I see with the deadline news twitter is all a flutter in a new outpouring of outrage the show is daring to continue, that's showbusiness it's about the business.

Castle's Nathan Fillion Set for Potential Season 9 After Inking New Deal, TV Line's version 

I notice they compare it to Bones but the comparisons between the two couldn't be more glaringly different at this point but then I guess it's much easier if both leads actually enjoy each other's company and want to work with each other. 

2 hours ago, 371012 said:

I was thinking if Casket take down Locksat together, head home, congratulating themselves, then time jump to next season five years out and learn that Beckett got run over by a bus or something totally unrelated to a crime or her rabbit holing, that would at least be ironic. And Castle used to appreciate irony. If she dies fighting crime and they remember even a shred of his character I don't see how they do goofy PI and flavor of the week.

That would be way too prosaic from Hawley, the guy is clearly dead set on going out with explosions and gunfire and although I find the idea of her getting killed in a very mundane fashion more fitting after all the angst and drams she's been through I can't see this current writing team allowing that to happen, no Beckett will go out in a blaze of......I was going to say glory but that's inappropriate there's going to be nothing glorious about it. 

As for "goofy" Castle I suspect that's what fans will be getting served up from now on with Fillion's blessing, they forgot the old version a long time ago in favour of this more clownish, bumbling strangely almost effeminate character. Freed of the chains of the romance (which Nathan was honest about and never enjoyed) and having Beckett around to drag things down into any moments of seriousness or reflection (which were pretty slim in any case) means they can go full bore on slapstick comedy capers. Beckett will quickly be forgotten there's no way they'll taint the weekly fun and games with Beckett call backs especially if she dies. 

For some inexplicable reason Fillion seems to enjoy playing Clown!Castle which I don't find remotely attractive or interesting as a character but then actors can be odd like that. 

Edited by verdana

48 minutes ago, verdana said:

For some inexplicable reason Fillion seems to enjoy playing Clown!Castle which I don't find remotely attractive or interesting as a character but then actors can be odd like that. 

Maybe ABC will move the show to their comedy night as a new half hour romp.

• Like 1

It's pretty much comedy hour now so yeah why not. I know fans say it's always been based on comedy nothing has changed but I disagree. Sure it's always been light hearted in nature and never set itself up as a gritty crime procedural but what I loved about the show in the early years was the way it blended the comedy (which was far more nuanced and witty back then) with the more serious reflective moments for the characters. That all gradually dissipated as they went between two extremes of either over the top drama or clownish capers led by Castle as the court jester. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

Beckett is killed in a horrific motorcycle accident, trying to avoid a mother duck shepherding her ducklings across a road?

I almost expect her demise to be accompanied by the Benny Hill theme music!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

I almost expect her demise to be accompanied by the Benny Hill theme music!

They can't afford the royalties, have you noticed how the recent seasons have contained far less of those memorable tracks than before, Stop and Stare, The End, Just Breathe.

1 hour ago, femmefan1946 said:

Beckett is killed in a horrific motorcycle accident, trying to avoid a mother duck shepherding her ducklings across a road?

In keeping with the new comic book style of the show SPLAAAAAT, KPOOOOOOW. Maybe fillione will start wearing his underpants outside his trousers for his new costume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westwingfan said:

In keeping with the new comic book style of the show SPLAAAAAT, KPOOOOOOW. Maybe fillione will start wearing his underpants outside his trousers for his new costume.

Isn't that superhero garb? Tights with the undies on the outside? ;-). Luke might be thankful if he gets cut (for budgetary reasons).

I don't think Beckett will go out in a fiery blaze. Stana has mentioned more than once that the show can't afford explosions. Instead, she'll die via one of those cartoon guns with the flag that says "bang".  Unfortunately someone will have loaded too much gunpowder into the chamber so that when it's fired, she'll be hit by resulting shrapnel.  All with a laugh track, of course.

Edited by TWP
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

I can just hear the Mother Ducker jokes now.

You beat me to it LLOL

The ABC feedback page doesn't seem to be working at the moment, and a friend who is a member of the Advisory Panel has just told me he can't access that either.

I have an image of TPTB sitting in a room with their fingers in their ears saying LALALALALALALALA.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

You beat me to it LLOL

The ABC feedback page doesn't seem to be working at the moment, and a friend who is a member of the Advisory Panel has just told me he can't access that either.

I have an image of TPTB sitting in a room with their fingers in their ears saying LALALALALALALALA.

They made their bed - now they have to lie in it! And a lot of fans are only just waking up to this info!! 

41 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

You beat me to it LLOL

10,000 people can't take down a TV show, but they can take down a Web site. And that is what ABC is trying to avoid. Castle anti-fans took down ABC'S Web site! ->A headline that is bigger than the reality behind it. 

Yep, lalala. They don't care. They have factored this outrage into their equation. The more buzz, the more looky loos will be generated to come see the train wreck. And when no train wreck happens, then they may just have some new viewers. I think we're all subjects in an experiment, rats in their little maze. As usual.

• Like 1

No motorcycle crash, that would be Castle's fault, too, since he got it refurbished for her. But I am finding all of us amusing. I realized we are all much better at smart, tongue-in-cheek humor than the writers are. Too bad we can't get paid the big bucks to cleverly write for an intelligent audience!!

Not sure who's having trouble accessing the ABC Studios Advisory Panel boards, but FWIW I can view them just fine. Can't speak for the feedback page on ABC's website. 

8 minutes ago, S55 said:

Not sure who's having trouble accessing the ABC Studios Advisory Panel boards, but FWIW I can view them just fine. Can't speak for the feedback page on ABC's website. 

Twitter people have mentioned getting removed from the advisory panel. I wonder if they're blocking IP addresses of known nay-sayers?

Edited by TWP

Given how lousy the writing is - maybe they will go for something as equally stupid (but more benign) than they have in the past (the Castle "crash", his disappearance, bla bla bla) and have something revealed that absolutely convinces Beckett she must leave and disappear (for reals) to protect Castle and his family - tearful good-bye and off she goes and he then needs to rebuild his life.

Not saying that is interesting but at least she wouldn't be dead/killed and it is no less stupid than much of the other crap they have done on this show.

I haven't enjoyed Castle much for the last two seasons, so I'll be quite happy to see what season 9 brings without Beckett. I enjoyed them during the first 1/2 of the series run, but after they got together - and particularly this season with their fake separation - it became cheesy and stale.  I came to this show for Nathan, so I'm happy that he has re-signed for now.

Edited by sidekickgirl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TWP said:

Yep, lalala. They don't care. They have factored this outrage into their equation. The more buzz, the more looky loos will be generated to come see the train wreck. And when no train wreck happens, then they may just have some new viewers. I think we're all subjects in an experiment, rats in their little maze. As usual.

The equation would be a combination of Shipper Appeal, Character USP and Idolizing Factor that will determine the outrage-intensity and level of fanaticism/ mass hysteria expected. Add time on air factor and distribution rate, and you get the quantity you are probably dealing with.

As you said, the “fandom” is only a small part of the overall viewership but due to the significant role of the character Beckett over the past 8 seasons, ABC would be advised to promote the new direction of season 9 properly. For newly interested ex-viewers and unsuspecting new viewers :-)

35 minutes ago, TWP said:

Twitter people have mentioned getting removed from the advisory panel. I wonder if they're blocking IP addresses of known nay-sayers?

The negative feedback has been pretty consistent this season, but I haven't noticed any (what I consider to be) regular users not posting their opinions lately (and I check in there regularly). In fact, there has been an influx of new folks (with more negative feedback) the past few months, so if anything, they're allowing wider fan access. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S55 said:

The negative feedback has been pretty consistent this season, but I haven't noticed any (what I consider to be) regular users not posting their opinions lately (and I check in there regularly). In fact, there has been an influx of new folks (with more negative feedback) the past few months, so if anything, they're allowing wider fan access. 

Maybe they're purging some and allowing others. 

1 hour ago, Lee4U said:

Given how lousy the writing is - maybe they will go for something as equally stupid (but more benign) than they have in the past (the Castle "crash", his disappearance, bla bla bla) and have something revealed that absolutely convinces Beckett she must leave and disappear (for reals) to protect Castle and his family - tearful good-bye and off she goes and he then needs to rebuild his life.

Not saying that is interesting but at least she wouldn't be dead/killed and it is no less stupid than much of the other crap they have done on this show.

Why not go the other extreme and an alien abduction? A shaft of light appears from above and poof! Castle is on the scene but alas not quite in time.

Hawley gets the requisite drama and shock ending he so desperately craves.

Beckett's not dead, just on her travels wowing those aliens with her amazing hair, eye makeup and overwhelming badassary.

The aliens wouldn't agree to give her back because lets face it she's so extraordinary but there may be a sliver of hope she may find her way home one day.  

Castle could get all excited because whilst on the downside he's lost his wife she's not dead and wow holy crap she was taken by aliens! 

I'm tempted to suggest they take Alexis too but I know they'd give her back pretty sharpish. She's too smart for them and they couldn't cope with the smugness overload. 

Edited by verdana

My spouse's theory is she'll have to go to prison for committing vigilante justice against Loksat, so she'll divorce Castle so that he can move on.

Or she gets recruited for black ops, fakes her death even to Castle and moves on to a spinoff series. Then, for the fans she doesn't die, but for Castle she's dead.

I think they'll end on a high note and the cliffhanger will be the question of how will they explain her absence next season?

• Like 1

Even if the show's fate is decided today, I wonder if the decision will be made public or if we have to wait 'til upfronts on the 17th?

In all frankness, I stopped watching regularly when C/B got together. (Just never "felt" them, to each his/her own), but still catch an episode if nothing else strikes my fancy. But I do sympathize with those who did love the pairing and realize I'm in the minority.

In any case, I hope the decision leaks today, so people can make their peace with it, one way or the other.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TWP said:

My spouse's theory is she'll have to go to prison for committing vigilante justice against Loksat, so she'll divorce Castle so that he can move on.

This one's not actually farfetched, but - even if she isn't dead - that's a bad ending for Beckett. I can only imagine how cops in prison are treated! (I know. I thought way to much about this one. LOL!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Even if the show's fate is decided today, I wonder if the decision will be made public or if we have to wait 'til upfronts on the 17th?

In all frankness, I stopped watching regularly when C/B got together. (Just never "felt" them, to each his/her own), but still catch an episode if nothing else strikes my fancy. But I do sympathize with those who did love the pairing and realize I'm in the minority.

In any case, I hope the decision leaks today, so people can make their peace with it, one way or the other.

Even if ABC doesn't release the information, I'm not sure they can keep it under wraps for almost two weeks.

33 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

This one's not actually farfetched, but - even if she isn't dead - that's a bad ending for Beckett. I can only imagine how cops in prison are treated! (I know. I thought way to much about this one. LOL!)

I don't know?  Orange is the New Black 2.0?

4 hours ago, TWP said:

If twitter crazies have been making the same kind of intensely vicious, vitriolic, personal attacks on cast in the advisory panel as they have been on twitter, then it's no wonder they've been blocked there.  They should be banned on twitter too in my opinion because they are violating the twitter terms and conditions with their endless abuse and harassment.  Their behaviour should suffer consequences because they are clearly incapable of communicating like a respectful adult.  It would be just like them to cry foul as "victims", take no responsibility for their abhorrent behaviour and then wonder why they've been blocked, or even take pride in it. ;)  

Call me when the raging hysteria's over.  ABC's decision sucked, but the way some parts of the Castle fandom have behaved has been incredibly ugly and shameful.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Duck from the incoming flying shit, Benny!

I hope Benny laughs and retweets the way Seamus does.  Seamus handles Twitter very well.  And it's nice that he shares the tweets so we can all chuckle.

Latest from EW

Any actual good news about the Castle finale? — Mariana
Let’s see, does everyone working together to find LokSat count as good news? “Castle and Beckett are keeping things quiet,” EP Terence Paul Winter says. “When Espo, Ryan and Hayley find out that they are in urgent need, they’re more than willing to jump in and assist, which puts everybody in danger as well. It really gets dangerous.” Oh yeah, no, nevermind. Danger bad.

In reading that Welles quote, though, the one Sherwood used...we obviously don't know yet, but...I'm going with renewed since it implies where the story stops, i.e. maybe this finale does end "okay", so folks can be happy. But S9 comes back with her gone/dead and those that stopped watching would be none the wiser?

4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

In reading that Welles quote, though, the one Sherwood used...we obviously don't know yet, but...I'm going with renewed since it implies where the story stops, i.e. maybe this finale does end "okay", so folks can be happy. But S9 comes back with her gone/dead and those that stopped watching would be none the wiser?

And yes, if that comes to pass, I hope that some people realize that it's really okay to pretend that Season 9 doesn't exist, and that Beckett is fine.  I believe in shouting loud to try and get change, but when the change clearly isn't going to happen (Stana isn't coming back, no matter what people do), they may as well pretend that their show was cancelled.

That is what Sherwood is asking them to do, in not so many words.

19 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

Latest from EW

Any actual good news about the Castle finale? — Mariana
Let’s see, does everyone working together to find LokSat count as good news? “Castle and Beckett are keeping things quiet,” EP Terence Paul Winter says. “When Espo, Ryan and Hayley find out that they are in urgent need, they’re more than willing to jump in and assist, which puts everybody in danger as well. It really gets dangerous.” Oh yeah, no, nevermind. Danger bad.

That's what's so annoying about this whole Locksat business, this mysterious entity has been pushed on the back burner for months and months and then along comes the finale and suddenly everyone is in BIG DANGER.

Meh.  Too late. I don't give a shit. 

21 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'd be okay with happy end. And I think that anyone who then watches S9 knowing Beckett won't be there shouldn't complain about how she was written out. However, the trouble I have is that if they end the show on a cliffhanger then it doesn't take a genius to figure out what they will do in S9 to explain her absence. I'm okay with an open end like S7 was, cliffhanger with lives in danger not so much.

16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

So I just saw this Tweet from Rob Hanning with an early draft of the script for Recoil.  He has notes from Marlowe about starting with a Caskett moment that gets interrupted. I should find that sad, but it's just hilarious to me that that's a note to intentionally do that.

https://twitter.com/RobHanning/status/728371972279656448

That was interesting, and yes, sad and hilarious to see.  With notes like these from the showrunner, who needs notes from the network to ruin things? ;)  His version of the Honeymoon period (his words) = kisses and coitus interruptus galore.  How sad is that?  Can you make out anything else?  I didn't find Recoil to be a particularly more interesting title than Redemption fwiw.  The room notes were also interesting to see.  Ah, to be a fly in that room... when showrunners threw out their ideas of non wedding, Beckett's secret marriage, Castle and Al-qaeda, Locksat, to name a few of their brilliant ideas... ;)  What does a staff writer say to showrunner boss when the real reaction is 'wtf'?

Hawley & TPW may have made a mess of things with Locksat, but I definitely haven't forgotten the messes Marlowe made either.  None of the Castle showrunners have actually impressed me with their vision and storytelling.  I'm not convinced that there's ground breaking and original work coming out of them in their future series.

• Like 3

This person has just created a twitter account and posted one tweet, a rather cryptic tweet from a new "insider".

lemarproductions

@Lemarproducts

Writer

Hollywood, Los Angeles

lemarproductions ‏@Lemarproducts 4m4 minutes ago

Listen #Castle fans. You don't know what you don't know. Not everything is as it seems...

1 minute ago, westwingfan said:

This person has just created a twitter account and posted one tweet, a rather cryptic tweet from a new "insider".

lemarproductions

@Lemarproducts

Writer

Hollywood, Los Angeles

Listen #Castle fans. You don't know what you don't know. Not everything is as it seems...

Very cryptic. I have absolutely no idea what to make of it.

3 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

lemarproductions

@Lemarproducts

Writer

Hollywood, Los Angeles

I said awhile aback, now wouldn't it be something if they were punking us, Rear Window style?

One thing that doesn't seem to be considered by those who think Fillion alone can make the show a success, is that all those loyal Firefly fans didn't make the film a blockbuster and the RL Castle fans I know, had no idea who he was before he became Richard Castle. They are mainly middle-aged, female and not on the Internet except to play those annoying Facebook games.  And there is a huge difference between selling photos to nostalgic fans at a Con and carrying a film or a series by yourself. Sexism in Hollywood may be alive and well, but men in Hollywood are increasingly under pressure to be fit. I'm an opera fan and even opera leads are increasingly being asked to take their shirts off - popularity and talent notwithstanding. Fillion has not kept himself in great shape and there are guys older than him who can do shirtless scenes without a sheet pulled up to their nipples. At this point he'll be a middle-aged character actor. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the scope is more limited than if he was still in Firefly shape. I honestly think that many assume his appeal to be greater than it is. 

Edited because... grammar.

Edited by pepper
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, pepper said:

One thing that doesn't seem to be considered by those who think Fillion alone can make the show a success, is that all those loyal Firefly fans didn't make the film a blockbuster and the RL Castle fans I know, had no idea who he was before he became Richard Castle. They are mainly middle-aged, female and not on the Internet except to play those annoying Facebook games.  And there is a huge difference between selling photos to nostalgic fans at a Con and carrying a film or a series by yourself. Sexism in Hollywood may be alive and well, but men in Hollywood are increasingly under pressure to be fit. I'm an opera fan and even opera leads are increasingly being asked to take their shirts off - popularity and talent notwithstanding. Fillion has not kept himself in great shape and their are guys older than him who can do shirtless scenes without a sheet pulled up to their nipples. At this point he'll be a middle-aged character actor. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the scope is more limited than if he was still in Firefly shape. I honestly think that many assume his appeal to be greater than it is. 

I think the show would do better with the co-leads...only if it wasn't so apparent from the acting that they don't like each other....however, if you were ABC and had to choose between one co-lead and the other, who would you choose? (and all you cared about is bank). I'd personally choose the one whose had more than one success.  Yes, Nathan is  an old fat guy by TV standards.  However, he's affiliated with a show that has become legendary, and Joss Whedon is his good friend.  He's also had 20 years with ABC.  Of the two co-leads, he's a better bet. 

Update from Deadline

UPDATE May 6: ABC is prolonging the renewal decision on Castle. I hear the network is pushing the deadline, which was end of day today, May 6.

I think Nathan and Stana are both talented actors who can carry a series, alone or together.  But the best actors in the world can't do much if the writing is crap.  It really boils down to the writing for me, and it's a question mark as to whether Castle writers can deliver on that score especially after a dramatic upheaval.  I once hoped for a creative rejuvenation from Marlowe after he finally resolved the WT/WT, but turns out, he continued to deliver mostly mediocrity.  You need talented writers to rejuvenate Castle and take it forward to new territory if that's what the network wants.

Customize font-size