Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I'd have thought the media would have been interested at least in Nathan as he's slightly more high profile than Stana even if they're not the likes of Ellen and Patrick. 

The media would probably be somewhat interested (and by "the media" I basically mean TVLine, TV Guide, E! and a bunch of lesser TV sites; 99.9% of the media as a whole is not interested) if they were handed the information, but I doubt any are so interested they would take the time to find someone willing and able to spill on private contract negotiations. And there is no great reason in this case for either party (the actors or the network) to leak that kind of thing if everything went amicably. Most of those sites also by and large play nice and stay on good terms with the networks and the actors. The only media interested in and dedicated to that level of muckraking is the likes of Deadline, and they generally have far bigger fish to fry than Castle (unless there's a whiff of an actual scandal or controversy). 

The whole AM stepping down but still seemingly in charge thing still seems a bit odd to me.  Usually, when a change in showrunner is announced, the former showrunner steps down to run a new show that is already a sure thing to go into production.  Rarely does the former showrunner stick around to ensure his "vision" is still being implemented.  That can become a situation where there's too many cooks in the kitchen and no one knows who the head chef is.

I'm afraid we'll still be enduring more AM media interviews this season, and I was looking foward to seeing if Amann had anything new to say.

Honestly, 6 seasons in, AM has not struck me as being a showrunner who is a unique visionary for the show.  Not in the way the creators of GoT, Breaking Bad and, Mad Men put their unique stamp on the show.  Castle can be a very entertaining show, but let's not pretend it's a show that's never been done before, and the dance that Castle and Beckett do isn't entirely original or terribly complicated.  So I don't see how letting a new pair of eyes with a hopefully fresher, more modern take on the romantic dramedy/cop procedural genre, and leaving AM's "vision" (what has his vision been, really? bad lighting? heh ;)) behind, would be a bad thing or a huge risk.  Of course, we won't necessarily get that from Amann anyway.  But some things definitely need to change even without rocking the boat, if they want the show to be better.  My concern is that they're riding high on their supposedly most watched season ever and don't see the need for any changes.  But any objective observer should be able to see that the writing simply isn't as strong as it was if they bothered to rewatch the early seasons.

I'd love to hear Stana's thoughts on the proposal being done in the way it was.  I recall her commenting on Beckett's career aspirations but don't actually remember her commenting on the proposal itself.  A proposal where they were directed to act as if to expect a break up... so romantic... what does one say about that, really? Ha, someone should ask her whether she was more surprised by the proposal happening in the manner it did, or by Beckett's past marriage and Castle's car going up in flames? What a contest. ;)

(edited)

Honestly, 6 seasons in, AM has not struck me as being a showrunner who is a unique visionary for the show.  Not in the way the creators of GoT, Breaking Bad and, Mad Men put their unique stamp on the show.  Castle can be a very entertaining show, but let's not pretend it's a show that's never been done before, and the dance that Castle and Beckett do isn't entirely original or terribly complicated.  So I don't see how letting a new pair of eyes with a hopefully fresher, more modern take on the romantic dramedy/cop procedural genre, and leaving AM's "vision" (what has his vision been, really? bad lighting? heh ;)) behind, would be a bad thing or a huge risk.  Of course, we won't necessarily get that from Amann anyway.  But some things definitely need to change even without rocking the boat, if they want the show to be better.  My concern is that they're riding high on their supposedly most watched season ever and don't see the need for any changes.  But any objective observer should be able to see that the writing simply isn't as strong as it was if they bothered to rewatch the early seasons.

Castle was certainly not set up to break any new ground by Marlowe and Miller not that I'm demanding that's what it should do. I was perfectly happy with the quirky, fun vibe they had going on back in the early days with some crackling Castle and Beckett chemistry and a likeable secondary cast. I'm honestly baffled though when I hear it said the writing is getting better and better for me it's sadly the opposite.  As for this "most watched season ever" mantra that keeps being mentioned where the hell do they get this from? Castle had a far higher demo and audience in the past I seem to recall so this confuses me. Seems like a lot of PR gloss but then I don't follow the ratings that closely so may be I'm looking at the wrong figures. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

The reality of this "shakeup" at the Castle showrunner level is simply that Andrewe Marlowe has hired (promoted) an assistant.  I'm not sure that it was even news, but I wonder if the "change" was strangely and misleadingly announced to us to waylay our concerns about the finale.  It was to make us think that there is hope for next season after the fiasco of a finale, when really there is none.

I wish one of the interviewers had asked, "if the change is such small potatoes, then why did you tell us at all?"  But they won't ask that question.

As for this "most watched season ever" mantra that keeps being mentioned where the hell do they get this from? Castle had a far higher demo and audience in the past I seem to recall so this confuses me. Seems like a lot of PR gloss but then I don't follow the ratings that closely so may be I'm looking at the wrong figures. 

To say that, they have to be stretching far and wide to get an overly inflated total viewer number.  The 18-49, 25-54 or whichever demographic they look at is all that really matters.  In the demo, Castle has fallen and will fall farther against both Blacklist and the NCIS franchise.

Edited by TVWithPity
(edited)

Yeah I thought it was the demo that mattered to advertisers the most nothing else really. I remember when Castle was getting well over 3.0 and since then it's been steadily falling, last season it was hovering about 1.9/2.0.

And I agree with you about this "news" on the change of showrunner if it really is that insignificant and an internal reorganisation then why waste time telling any one about it publicly. 

Edited by verdana

In the demo, Castle has fallen and will fall farther against both Blacklist and the NCIS franchise.

Castle was up against Blacklist this past season and yes it dip in the demo, but I don't think it will lose more because of it. More intriguing, to me, is NCIS LA, this will be the first test without them having the original NCIS as a lead in. Plus NCIS skews older so it will be interesting to see how ratings in this "hot" hour plays out.

madmaverick: I'd love to hear Stana's thoughts on the proposal being done in the way it was.  I recall her commenting on Beckett's career aspirations but don't actually remember her commenting on the proposal itself.  A proposal where they were directed to act as if to expect a break up... so romantic... what does one say about that, really? Ha, someone should ask her whether she was more surprised by the proposal happening in the manner it did, or by Beckett's past marriage and Castle's car going up in flames? What a contest. ;)

I'd certainly be fascinated to hear her discuss any of recent season developments with total honesty, but I suspect all actors are schooled to be diplomatic lest it muck up their future careers by dinging the wrong person-of-influence, and she also seems to be genuinely kind and unlikely to hurt anyone's feelings, so I doubt we'll ever really get the whole story unless she writes a juicy tell-all when she gets to the let-it-all-hang-out Katherine Hepburn stage.

Ha, someone should ask her whether she was more surprised by the proposal happening in the manner it did, or by Beckett's past marriage and Castle's car going up in flames? What a contest. ;)

I would love a chance to interview Stana.  Or even Marlowe, actually.

As for this "most watched season ever" mantra that keeps being mentioned where the hell do they get this from?

I'm sure ABC's PR department has requested that interviewers mention this.  Or at least tell them when they set up these interviews.  I'm sure if you break down the ratings in a certain way it is factually true, but their ratings are not as high as in the past.   Maybe one episode this season has more total viewers than any other episode.  Or the average total number? Or more viewers over the age of 40?  You can make statistics say anything if you try hard enough.

But this website tracks ratings/total viewers/etc over a season, and you can click to look at past seasons. I haven't figured out how they are getting this particular statement.

The reality of this "shakeup" at the Castle showrunner level is simply that Andrewe Marlowe has hired (promoted) an assistant.  I'm not sure that it was even news, but I wonder if the "change" was strangely and misleadingly announced to us to waylay our concerns about the finale.  It was to make us think that there is hope for next season after the fiasco of a finale, when really there is none.

I would speculate that it is known that Castle fans are organized and connected and any news about the show might boost traffic… And I would call the TVLine news ambiguous at most, as it also stated that Marlowe would still be present and at least partially partaking in the creative process.

Yeah I thought it was the demo that mattered to advertisers the most nothing else really. I remember when Castle was getting well over 3.0 and since then it's been steadily falling, last season it was hovering about 1.9/2.0.

I just looked up the numbers on the site seriesmonitor.  Castle had the highest numbers (L+SD ratings average per season) in Season 3 with 2.68 declining to 1.93 in Season 6 ( 2.33 for S5, 2.04 for S5) which isn’t really bad compared to the percentage of loss on other longer running shows on the same network. And then of course the failing new shows ABC had this year.

So without any notable knowledge of the entertainment industry and ABC, I would still guess Castle is hardly a dog right now you are on the verge to kill, it’s most likely a cash cow you wanna continue to milk for what it’s worth.

After that finale the question for me is are they adventurous or do they play safe? As DivaLite noted, NCIS LA skews older as well and is also an established show (albeit with a new time slot).

• Love 1

Basically, because most people believe what they read most recently, the Big Lie is a very successful propaganda tool. And journalists are unlikely to do any further research (I graduated from the Carleton School of Journalism in 1973) so the BL gets propagated.

The internet works in both directions on this.

It strikes me that Nathan is very cautious about money. He seems to have been very freaked out by being unemployed when he first came to LA, having been hired straight out of university for One Life to Live, and while he worked pretty steadily after 1998, this is his first really successful job. (Thinks murderous thoughts about those assholes who cancelled Firefly.)

He's even said that he bought his house when the market was in a downturn.

And while all those SF cons are great for the ego, I understand he can pull in $80K for a weekend of photos and autographs.

You can take the boy out of Canada....

(edited)

NCIS-LA skews older, that is true, so the audience it will steal from is Castle's at least as much as BlackList.  And "LA" has its own WTWT.  Deeks and Kensi have gotten together, split and then the finale teased of a reunion. As for lead-in, I think CBS felt confident enough in NCIS-LA to move it.  Big Bang Theory is starting out their season at 8:00pm on Monday night.  Scorpion is at 9:00pm, which looks like an interesting show, followed, of course, by NCIS-LA.  That's a Monday night I will look forward to  .... I think Castle has its work cut out for it.

But as some here have said and I analogize ;-), to avoid getting "eaten" by the @TheCancelBear, you don't have to "run faster" than all the other shows in your timeslot, you just have to run faster than the other shows on your team.  So if Castle sucks less than other ABC shows, it stays afloat. 

A serious variable is Nathan Fillion.  He is a serial commitment phobic when it comes to girlfriends.  When it comes to series, after 7 years, he may just want oooout.  He isn't getting any younger.  Maybe he wants to try something else before he's too far past his prime?  Knowing his connections, he could have something in the works already.

Edited by TVWithPity

Give Me My Remote must have a ton of Castle fans among its voters, as Castle reaped a lot of their 4th annual rewards. Dedicated they may be (most improved?!), but they did show occasional flashes of clear-eyed judgment (Worst Season Finale Cliffhanger, Worst Non-Finale Twist, Character Most in Need of a Storyline).

Give Me My Remote must have a ton of Castle fans among its voters, as Castle reaped a lot of their 4th annual rewards. Dedicated they may be (most improved?!), but they did show occasional flashes of clear-eyed judgment (Worst Season Finale Cliffhanger, Worst Non-Finale Twist, Character Most in Need of a Storyline).

These open vote polls (where you can vote as many times as you want) are nothing but click hunts for the sites. In case of GMMR (which isn't even an all-round blog, there are a number of primetime shows which the two editors don't watch, so they don't write about them) the results were quite funny, as if there were only two shows on air, or at least those two would be lightyears ahead of the others. 

Apparently photos of Caskett kissing are so difficult to find that even the official Twitter and Facebook accounts need to add a fan made manipulation:

@Castle_ABC: Happy International Kissing Day! #CaskettAlways http://t.co/xZmxt2UKff

A heroic love story requires heroic efforts from the promotion team too...

'A Day with Stana Katic' -- Castle behind the scenes directed by Mark Polish

I hope he stays strictly BTS in the feature. ;)

Apparently photos of Caskett kissing are so difficult to find that even the official Twitter and Facebook accounts need to add a fan made manipulation:

@Castle_ABC: Happy International Kissing Day! #CaskettAlways http://t.co/xZmxt2UKff

Oh dear, lol.  Imagine the difficulties they'd face if they had to put together a collage of Caskett kissing in the bedroom photos. ;)  They might have to resort to using the edited out footage in Always given the lack of other options. ;)

(edited)

The Castle twitter account could have used any of these kisses for that tweet. Laziness of the intern running it to not know that photo, bottom left, is a fan manip from when Castle/Kyra kissed back in 2x12

Edited by Samantha84
(edited)

I saw that manip he posted and laughed, he's since followed that tweet up with this beauty which had me smiling even more. I'll be waiting John.

John M Lopes @The_JML  ·  2h
Definitely the most asked question. So yes, I will try and get @NathanFillion @Stana_Katic to take a selfie this year for the #Castle fans

"Creepy John Lopes"

Yeah I feel the same way, may be he should get together with Mark Polish.

Then there's his obsequious tweeting about Marlowe and his talents.  

John M Lopes @The_JML  ·  3h
“@AlwaysCastle47: @The_JML Got anything #Castle related you can share?”

Love what I'm hearing and @AndrewWMarlowe continues his genius.

Is this the same genius that gave us a few months ago that turd of a finale?  And the season before that the most amazingly depressing proposal of all time? Yes I believe it was. 

Whilst there's nothing wrong in admiring the people you work with, that's embarrassing he comes over like some crazed fan. How much desperate arse licking does he need to do? I gathered from some of his much earlier tweets that his company was somehow involved in financing?  If money is involved it's Marlowe who should probably be doing the sucking up. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Still tryna figure out who the hell this guy is and what exactly is his connection to the show. 

Marlowe does something I can't do, he can write but he is no genius. Not even a little bit.  This dude just sounds like some fans who will praise this show and Marlowe no matter how shitty. JMO.

Edited by Samantha84

I saw that manip he posted and laughed, he's since followed that tweet up with this beauty which had me smiling even more. I'll be waiting John.

At least he's taken the pressure off of Tony C - there was only so much he could take!

Still tryna figure out who the hell this guy is and what exactly is his connection to the show. 

I think he helps finance the show through Armyan Bernstein's company.

(edited)
"Creepy John Lopes"

Yeah I feel the same way, maybe he should get together with Mark Polish…Then there's his obsequious tweeting about Marlowe and his talents. 

Whilst there's nothing wrong in admiring the people you work with, that's embarrassing, he comes over like some crazed fan. How much desperate arse licking does he need to do?

Totally Agree. He is the worse kiss ass right now. Not far behind are Dara and Chad Creasey. So much sugar coming from them in their Castle related tweets about MilMar makes you sick. Any ongoing Marlowe appeasement by the cast might be to save face because maybe ABC did force him out as show runner. AWM lost his “genius” after season 3. He portends now as more of a mad scientist (car fire in a ditch) if you believe what is said "genius is just one step away from madness". Maybe Marlowe has taken a step too far.

Edited by VinceW

I'm not sure he had a "genius" to lose, in any season. Air Force One wasn't a quirky misunderstood thing, it was a straightforward mainstream crap with zero writing surprises. He just got lucky with the cast, some writers.and a perfect moment for an ancient show concept.

(edited)

I don't see that he had any genius to lose either but he did produce the goods over the first two or three seasons of the show. He has some writing talent but Air Force One was hardly ground breaking it was instantly forgettable.

I can't decide if he's a guy who simply got lucky with one good idea, the right casting and may be he has a talent for writing certain things but flounders when he has to develop them into something deeper which is when things started to fall apart on Castle. The other option is like many people he just run out of creative steam but his just ran out faster than others and for whatever reason he wasn't prepared to have the right people around him to keep the overall quality there. 

Edited by verdana

Andrew Bikichky @AndrewBikichky  ·  Jul 1

“@FredBC77: @AndrewBikichky Hi! What is the 1st day of the 701 shooting?  :)”

#Castle Season 7 production begins

July 16 :)

Interesting to see if any location shots leak out like they did last season that give fans a clue as to what direction they're going in with Castle's car accident. 

I was wondering the same thing, and when it would be.  I remember last year it all came out on the 10th, because that's my brother's birthday and I went out to dinner right after work and didn't get to check TWOP.  Then I came home to like 6,000 posts about the leaked pics.

Even i it's not that level, I expect some spoilers to leak out once production starts.  And I'm really hoping for something that makes me feel just a little optimistic about S7.

Question: Any word on who will be writing Castle‘s season premiere? —Ben

Ausiello: The good news: Newly coronated showrunner David Amann is penning the Season 7 opener. The even better news: Rob Bowman is directing. And now, the provocative news: Castle will return with a two-parter, and to that end is casting the guest-starring role of “Henry,” a highly intelligent yet unassuming gent who’s deft at blending into a crowd. (A spook-y nemesis of Jackson Hunt’s? 3XK with a new face c/o Dr. Niemann? Discuss.) Also being guest-cast for the premiere are a Hamptons police sergeant, a doctor, a shrink and… a Coast Guard captain?!

http://tvline.com/2014/07/08/castle-season-7-premiere-spoilers-two-parter/

This is giving me Pelant vibes (from a certain similar other show). And...that's NOT a good thing. Do these shows ever learn?

Ironically, Pelant started in the other show's 7th season, too.  :-\

(edited)

Was hoping either Amman, Hanning, or Winter would pen the premiere. So that's good news.  Plus a 2 parter? Does that mean a 2 hour premiere or a 2 parter ala last season? 

Edited by Samantha84

I figured it has to be a two parter when the Creaseys said they were doing 7.03. 

And no Pelant rip off please God that was so annoying on Bones.

I'm glad they decided to make it a two parter rather than attempt to pack in everything into one episode and it ends up feeling so rushed. I'm hoping we just might get some decent family scenes and relationship development when they hold an actual grown up conversation (not about wedding planning) when they do finally reunite. Unlike Ausiello I wish Bowman wasn't directing, everyone seems to adore him what is it with this guy? His contribution to any episode when it comes to any Caskett scenes it to make sure I don't see them properly, an example being Veritas when they do kiss it's shot in silhouette, Bowman and Marlowe must have giggled over that one, I find it tiresome and juvenile.  

Even i it's not that level, I expect some spoilers to leak out once production starts.  And I'm really hoping for something that makes me feel just a little optimistic about S7.

You and me both. I'm convinced that ABC were more than happy for those shots of the proposal scene in the park finding their way out given the response Watershed received and I could imagine a similar thing happening this season too in order to get the fans excited once again. 

I see they've cast a shrink in the opener I wonder if that could be a new one for Beckett struggling with the fact he's missing?

As for the Coast Guard captain sounds like Castle may be all out to sea, literally this time.   

Figured Amann would be writing the opener.  Let's see if the episode signifies any positive changes in approach for the season, though the season opener's generally a different beast to the rest of the episodes and probably too soon to tell.  Amann's written a lot of the more serious, dramatic episodes; what I'll be watching for is whether he gets the emotional tone and characterisation right for the characters and for the Caskett relationship, and prioritises giving those elements ample screen time over insignificant plot and exposition details.  I find Bowman a bit overrated tbh, especially when you see the work done by directors on some fantastic cable shows.  He seems focused on delivering artistic flourishes, but any number of those can't compensate for lack of attention to important character moments and a weak script imo.  And sometimes, I find less is more, when it comes to his artistic flourishes.  The show as a whole hasn't impressed me with its lighting and blocking, particularly with intimate Castle and Beckett scenes.

Hopefully TPW is writing 7.02 and not AM!  I'd trust TPW to write an emotional Caskett reunion better than a guy who thinks they deserve privacy. ;)

"Henry" sounds like a spook.  I hope it's not another CIA conspiracy 'cause I'm quite tired of those, on this show and others.  Doesn't make me any more interested in AM's new 'mythology' which seems like it's here to stay. Oy.

I see they've cast a shrink in the opener I wonder if that could be a new one for Beckett struggling with the fact he's missing?

That, or it's the doc who tells them in a dramatic final scene that Castle will physically recover from his injuries but...dum...dum..dum... he has amnesia! ;)

As for the Coast Guard captain sounds like Castle may be all out to sea, literally this time.

Castle's found shipwrecked at sea.  Alone in a dinghy.  Or just holding onto a floating bit of debris from a boat explosion (they do love their explosions! ;)). Sunburnt, dehydrated, and scruffy? :P   If the killer wanted to kill Castle at sea, you'd think they would do a more thorough job though. ;)   

Ha, may have been reading too many amnesia fanfics and a fantastic one where Castle and Beckett are shipwrecked on an island together.

I hope we get some nice Caskett scenes set in the Hamptons as I feel we didn't really make full use of the beautiful surrondings the last 2 times, but I won't be holding my breath as it'll probably be all about the drama, and dark shadows, literally and metaphorically. ;)  Yes, to more of Castle's Hamptons house. No, to the return of his terrible Hamptons bowling shirt wardrobe. ;)

Imagine if it's a bloody Castle staggering up his private beach up to his house and scaring the crap out of his family heh.  Melodramatic enough for AM & co.? ;)  I wouldn't put it past them after FBFW.

Also being guest-cast for the premiere are a Hamptons police sergeant

Does that mean we're going to see Chief Brady from MHW again? Or are we just makeing sure there is no (yet again) continuity?

Terri Edda Miller @TerriEdda  ·  13h

1st Concept Mtg of #Castle Season 7 today. Mind boggling.

If any of these concepts are as mind boggling as the ending of S6 and the tiresome season long wedding planning then you know what you can do with them.

That, or it's the doc who tells them in a dramatic final scene that Castle will physically recover from his injuries but...dum...dum..dum... he has amnesia! ;)

If they play the amnesia card then Castle really will have dived headlong into soap opera territory and the writers plain out of ideas.  

Castle's found shipwrecked at sea.  Alone in a dinghy.  Or just holding onto a floating bit of debris from a boat explosion (they do love their explosions! ;)). Sunburnt, dehydrated, and scruffy? :P   If the killer wanted to kill Castle at sea, you'd think they would do a more thorough job though. ;)

Heh, love the idea of the scruff and it would be suitably dramatic enough for the show. Like you I hope this has nothing to do with some big government conspiracy which seems to be where they frequently end up going with these dramatic two parters. Unless it brings back the return of Jordan Shaw of course to help Beckett hunt Castle down then I'd be interested.  

Imagine if it's a bloody Castle staggering up his private beach up to his house and scaring the crap out of his family heh.  Melodramatic enough for AM & co.? ;)  I wouldn't put it past them after FBFW.

If he was wearing another of those hideous bowling shirts I'd tell him to bugger off and quick change into a better wardrobe then he can come staggering back into my open arms. 

14 Romantically Castle Moments thanks to ABC they've picked 14 "of the most romantic, flirty, sexy, tender moments" between Castle and Beckett.

#2 is the Proposal, probably the most least romantic one I've ever seen. It's kind of funny that out of those they've chosen, very few of them are after they got together. 

(edited)
If any of these concepts are as mind boggling as the ending of S6 and the tiresome season long wedding planning then you know what you can do with them.

Castle's going to be back by 7.02 at the latest, with normal service resumed in 7.03.  But i'm guessing they're not going to give us a wedding until Nov sweeps, so what's going to be the onscreen reason for the delay?  More wedding planning? Lol.  After very nearly having their 'happily ever after' taken away from them, you'd think they would be eager to get married as soon as they can once reunited, but no doubt AM will think of some 'organic' excuse to delay the nuptials further.  Any bets on what that will be?

Sometimes I wonder if they realise how some of their tweets can invite snarking rather than enthusiasm.  I understand twitter is a marketing tool, but not many know how to utilise it judiciously.  I find that the one note cheerleading and the self-congratulating that embraces mediocrity as genius, all done seemingly without any sense of irony or self-awareness can be quite grating.  Maybe that tone works for some but not for me; mileage varies, I guess.

There's a pic from Luke of suit fabric.  I imagine that means we're in for his tailoring again with all his 'artistic' flourishes.  Man, why can't he give designer off the rack suits a try, or let someone else more qualified do the tailoring for a change?

Thanks for that list, Verdana.  Re the proposal: 'nuff said indeed!   Though not quite in the way they intended. ;)

most romantic, flirty, sexy, tender moments" between Castle and Beckett.

Unfortunately, I feel like I'm left searching mostly fruitlessly for those since they got together.  Writers should stick up a reminder on their board to include them every episode 'cause otherwise they seem to forget those notes between Caskett.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Source?

I never thought for a second that it would be a dream because that would basically mean all the drama AM set up in FBFW would have no repercussions and not lead to any new storylines.

If it's memory loss, then that's a soap opera-ish move indeed (though they already went there with the forgotten marriage and burning car cliffhanger so it's just more of the same contrived crap), and further proof that basically AM ran out of story to tell, ran out of ways to create drama for Caskett.  Never watched NF in his soap opera days so don't know if he ever played an amnesiac, but i wonder what he'll think of such a soapy storyline? ;)

On another show I loved that had great WT/WT tension, they also went the amnesia route after the bride got attacked at her own wedding.  A plot device by the writers to rebirth the WT/WT dynamic which failed imo, as the result was little but a pale shadow of the original WT/WT.  The amnesiac basically turned into a person with another personality, weak and insecure given her plight, which was disappointing to those who loved the character in her original state, and the endless angst between the characters soon turned tiresome.  I hope they don't make similar mistakes if they go that route here, but honestly, I have no faith that they would do such a storyline justice, especially with the minimum screen time given to Caskett personal scenes.

(edited)

I think I've been speculating in the wrong thread, have to get used to not posting everything in the same place. 

If they're going to go with memory loss then Castle really has hit the skids. Either a dream scenario or Castle developing amnesia would be signs the writers are scrabbling around for ideas...and didn't find any. 

I wish I could have memory loss too of that wretched finale at least Castle will be okay if he can't remember anything. 

madmaverick beat me to it, we're into soap opera territory now, I'm sure Nathan will have a laugh about it though. I know I'll be smiling, thinking about the reactions from some corners of the fandom if this proves to be true.  

The writers just need Beckett to simultaneously develop multiple personality disorder and find she's also got a baby hidden away and they're sorted. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

Got to laugh and groan if memory loss is indeed the new 'mythology' that really opens up storytelling that AM was so excited about.  Any writer with talent not on a soap shouldn't be proud of going to that well.

i guess memory loss would be better than Castle being cloned. ;)   I guess memory loss can't be as boringly written as wedding planning, right? ;)

If they play the memory loss for laughs (at Castle), then that really would be the last straw.

If they're going to go soapy, let's go all the way.  Can think of a few soapy storylines to add to verdana's list.... Johanna Beckett returns from the dead?  The dead parent returns storyline is quite popular. ;)  Castle has a secret love child?  Alexis is pregnant with Pi's child?  Too bad they can't do the Martha is really Castle's Dad storyline anymore as suggested by SS. ;)

Nathan may have a laugh about it.  Stana, I think, has finally realised that anything goes after that WTF of a finale (she may have suspected that organic went out the window after the least romantic proposal ever in Watershed, but she knew for sure after getting the script for FBFW ;)), and that she just has to work with what they're given.  But I'd be under no delusions that AM has anything left in his creativity (or should it be 'organic'? ;)) tank.  Castle has veered so far from the classic pieces they so liked to compare themselves to at the start.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1