Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I'm sure the cast aren't being remotely challenged on Castle and they know it is what it is. I get that vibe very much from Seamus and his comments particularly, they're actually pretty cutting when you look at them but then he's not Nathan so he can get away with it and they kind of sail under the radar.

I like this one of Nathan here.

Arineide Basso @arineideb  ·  11m
"I loved your BSG shirt" "thank you, sir @NathanFillion" #NerdHQ #OperationSmile #SDCC2014

https://twitter.com/arineideb/status/493262476952084480

I know he's probably wearing horrible sneakers and those baggy pants but the top of him I like, he looks sweaty, scruffy and sexy and I love that he's so damn tall.

I haven't had time yet to watch Nathan's panels, but going by pics and gifs I saw on Tumblr he looks pretty great right now. I'd say "awesome" etc but thought to tone it down, because it's subjective and what's "great" for me could be a "horrible whale" for someone else, lol. Guess 50% of what made it for me is the fact that he got rid of NB shoes at last, and wears something much less noticeable. So my relief from not having to look at those monstrosities have possibly added to my very positive opinion - take note Verdana, lol.

I only had time to watch Evangeline Lilly's panel on Friday and was pleasantly surprised by her several shout-outs to NF. She was reminiscing about his moderating her panel last year, his house or parties he throws and said something to the tune of "who doesn't have a crush on Nathan?", lol. That was nice to hear. That said, I read somewhere that her panel wasn't sold out this year, and it just confuses me more about what's actually popular at this kind of events. Not complaining at all, but I'd think she's a bigger star than some other panelists - what's with Lost and The Hobbit movies etc.

(edited)

Whether they got married or not was never a huge deal to me, but now that the characters have made the promise in the show, there should be a payoff without undue delay (too late!).  The challenge is to keep writing interesting stories (these can be interesting everyday stories, AM!) for the characters, married or not, but they seem to have been really struggling for story.  They are often treading water for an entire season without meaningful development except at the beginning and the end.  What now? Perhaps the answer to that from AM is to really go 'out there', to unbelievable, inorganic places.

The big problem with delaying the wedding in the way they did is that there are very few who buy into there being one good reason why they can't just work through whatever happens together as a married couple. TPTB are going to have to work hard on making the scenario convincing enough to avoid frustration and anger quickly setting in again for those already stung over what's happened. 

Marlowe's made mistakes but he's not stupid, he knows eventually he's going to have to get them married and find a new writing crutch and move away from the WTWT dynamic he enjoys so much. However, I do worry what direction that will be. Good solid storytelling showing a decent amount of Caskett whilst they investigate murders involving victims and suspects I can relate to and care about seems to be a hard thing for them to get right.

I don't know if it's because he doesn't trust the current team of writers he has at his disposal or the new writers aren't that wonderful or they just assume to be entertained you can't have boring "ordinary" murders you need something weird and wacky with zany slapstick or moments of high drama to keep the fans coming back. So many great cases at the start that I can remember which also added something extra to the characters along the way but the last couple of seasons it's a struggle to name a top ten that stick with me.

Edited by verdana
(edited)

I get that vibe very much from Seamus and his comments particularly, they're actually pretty cutting when you look at them but then he's not Nathan so he can get away with it and they kind of sail under the radar.

Yeah, exactly. And I'm getting the same vibe from Susan's interviews as well. Like, she openly admits that Martha has no consistent characterization and basically serves the plot each time, going from bombastic and superficial to wise and thoughtful and back. Or, her comments on all that spy-daddy storyline that looked so stupid and over-the-top in the script, but Brolin somehow made it work (well, she didn't say "stupid" of course, but that was definitely in the "subtext", LOL).

That said, I read somewhere that her panel wasn't sold out this year, and it just confuses me more about what's actually popular at this kind of events. Not complaining at all, but I'd think she's a bigger star than some other panelists - what's with Lost and The Hobbit movies etc.

Yes, and I was equally confused to see that the Intruders panel with John Simm, Mira Sorvino and James Frain was scarcely half full, with lots of empty seats even in the center. I would think Simm alone should've been able to attract enough audience to fill that small-ish room. Of course, not many people in the States might have seen his works in British films and television, like Life on Mars and Mad Dogs, but still one would expect to find about 300 nerds in San Diego during Comic Con time willing to pay $20 for the opporunity to ask the question to the Master from Doctor Who. Go figure. 

But both Nathan's panels were sold out in a few seconds, and Alan Tudyk's panel was more than full as well, they even sold out over 50 additional "stand only" seats before each panel. With their auctioning Alan and Nathan were able to raise impressive $11,000 and $12,000 for charity respectively, and that not including the photo-ops they did after the panels ($20 for a photo, all profit goes to Operation Smile as well). I've seen tweets stating they were cutting the line twice, but Nathan stayed there till he made sure that everyone who wanted a photo with him got one. What a sweetheart. 

Edited by Karen
(edited)

Nathan's looking good in those Smile for Smiles pics (but I'm going to say he can look even better, give him something to strive for! :P).  Much prefer the linen shirt (?) ensemble over another round of plaid.  Everyone looks so much better in these pics than con photos!  Maybe the black and white photography helps.  Definitely no to that hat though lol, unless he's going for the comedic look heh.

Nathan definitely could have a second career as a charity auctioneer heh.  He's an old hand at it by now.  He and Zach are a nice comedy duo as well.  Lovely to see that girl who had people put together their money to help her bid before pay it forward and give back this year.  Nice to see Nathan's brother get a shoutout.

Ooh, John Simm is going to be back on TV?  Definitely have to watch out for that.  

Hm...kind of assumed that all panels would be sold out given the reasonable price.  Maybe they need a tiny bit more publicity somewhere for people looking for last minute seats.  I didn't know half the people on the mystery panel but it seemed pretty full.  Evangeline Lilly and Nathan were fun together last year.  Hadn't remembered that they'd worked together on Lost...think I'd kind of given up on that show by then.  Did they actually get married on that show or was it stopped by unforeseen forces? :P  

Nice to see Nathan and Frances Fisher together again.  So her ABC show made it to Comic Con.  Nathan might as well tell her to enjoy it while she can 'cause it's not going to last.  Does it cost so much for ABC to do a panel for Castle at comic con?  Or do they think that since Nathan's going to be there anyway, they might as well save some money and let his interviews and appearances be promotion enough?

Nathan and Stana reading steamy paragraphs from Naked Heat was epic!  Nathan knew how to bring the heat and the laughs, and Stana's shy, embarrassed reactions were adorable.  Still one of my favourite bits of cast interaction ever for sheer entertainment value lol.  And I lol'ed at how Jon Huertas said that what he and we liked to watch was the 'incredible sexual tension' on the show. Yes, bring that back!!

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

This link is to the LIVE NF session for today, not sure if it will be posted on YOU TUBE or not but this is a live feed

bit.ly/1ziQg4u

Karen. I thought exactly the same when I listened to one of Susan's recent interviews. She sounds bored too but gets on with it. I find the secondary characters are becoming more superfluous. Tamala and Susan are now limited to brief walk on parts and even the boys are more about giving out case exposition. It's a job but I doubt they get much creative fulfilment out of it. 

Alan said he wants to be on Castle and he said, "you got one more season left". Hmmmm! What do you know Alan?

I notice that too. Those two create a fun, entertaining panel. Mostly I'm amazed how much cash these fans have to bid on their stuff. Every time someone asks about the finale script, I want someone to tease him "if Beckett was already a Castle, then I would be worried" just to see his reaction.

Oy Molly is on a panel right now and she got a Castle related question about what she wants this season for her character and I'm not sure if it's really happening or just her wishful thinking but she wants to bring back some PTSD from when she got kidnapped combined with Castle's faith after the car crash.

Can I just say NO PLEASE !

Nathan's panel is happening now. He's joined by Alan T.

Alan said he wants to be on Castle and he said, "you got one more season left". Hmmmm! What do you know Alan? 

That was my reaction too.

I second that! The writers screwed up the character of Alexis. All while trying to make her grown up they reverted her back to acting the age she was when the show first started. At this point Alexis could go away to college and not return until the series finale and I wouldn't give a shit. Which makes me sad b/c Castle/Alexis, the scene in the pilot w. him sliding her down the hall in her socks, is what sold me on this show. 

Alexis didn't get PTSD after her kidnapping -- it was essentially ignored and treated like it happens all the time and now b/c of Castle's accident she gets PTSD? Nope. I know there is a delayed reaction but not 2 years on. Also Beckett's PTSD was dealt w. in one episode and now she's "cured" and that's over and done w.  That's the only potentially stomach-able thing about this possible Alexis shit -- Marlowe doesn't know how to sustain a concurrent episode story so Alexis PTSD will be "cured" in one episode. 

Then again - Molly is the main one that over exaggerates story. Her story in particular. She wants her role/her character to be bigger than what she is, wants more to do perhaps and she makes up when she thinks Alexis backstory or current story is and it has many asking if she's watching the same show we are. Here's hoping this is another one of Molly's wishful storylines.

I can't blame Molly Quinn for wanting more for Alexis. As a matter of fact, I can't blame ANY of the secondary actors for wanting more to do. While I realize the "marquee draw" is essentially C/B, the fact is, there are secondary characters, and surely there MUST be more for them to do and say than case exposition or, in Martha's/Susan Sullivan's case, a sassy quip to her son about his love life or hers.

This show could be an example of "biggest waste of talent" and, truthfully, is the only one I notice that squanders its cast more than any other.

• Love 1

I know this is a procedural but that's no excuse for the lack of use and continuous storylines for the supporting characters.

I will forever praise Steven Bochco's NYPD Blue. THAT show did case of the week plus the personal lives of their whole supporting cast. It was well written, well acted and it had continuty. No one, in my opinion, did it better than that show. 

Also 7 seasons in Marlowe can back off so many case scenes -- 1st no one is that invested and 2nd he doesn't do it as well as seasons 1 and 2. 

Nathan's panel is happening now. He's joined by Alan T.

That kinda makes my heart hurt to read. Does he imply this upcoming season or a potential S8? (I haven't seen the panel.) But honestly, it's probably nothing. He probably doesn't know anything, except maybe that Nathan signed a contract for x-many seasons or his potential after-Castle job offers.. He certainly doesn't know anything about ABC's plans for the show.

(edited)

I watched the panel and I took it as Alan assuming that Nathan signed a standard 7 year contract, but of course, it could also be that Nathan's confided in him in private. Nathan didn't respond to that comment.  The comment came in the context of discussing Alan as a guest star on Castle, and was followed by Nathan's pitch about Alan being this pretend British investigator.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  In any case, we'll know when ABC makes the announcement and likely not before.

The second Nathan panel where he was joined by Alan was even better.  They just have a great rapport and friendship, and a lot of 'crap' to give away heh.  And Alan pulled off a red plaid jacket which I hope Nathan never, ever wears lol.

Recommend the original panel with Joss Whedon as well, which turned into a panel hosted by Nathan with mystery guests as Joss couldn't make it due to knee surgery.  It was pretty entertaining with some funny stories from Nathan and the others.  The guests each talk about how they met Nathan and share stories of how they were intimidated by Joss lol.  This was the first time I'd heard about how Alan and Nathan met and it's quite funny and unexpected.  Joss Whedon turns up as a surprise via a video screen midway, and he's just a funny, charming as well as thoughtful guy when he interacts with fans (sorry, but the difference is striking when I compare JW to AM at panels...no contest in terms of charisma, really).  He and Nathan clearly have a great relationship.  There's wit and there's heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlLgIVt2XIc

And thanks for recommending the Mystery Badass Women panel.  What a great mix of badass women!  Zac's wife seems pretty cool. May have to check out her work some time.

I didn't watch the panel Molly was on.  Did she say much about Castle (other than as mentioned in the other thread)?

verdana, why indeed?!  His profile looks great here whereas I find it's one of the worst angles they shoot of him on Castle.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

This show could be an example of "biggest waste of talent" and, truthfully, is the only one I notice that squanders its cast more than any other.

With you there, they could do so much with the cast but criminally waste the opportunity time and time again.

Molly says a lot of things that never come to pass thank God so I'm not too worried yet, hopefully it's just more wishful thinking on her part. I hope so otherwise what with the strong possibility of Castle's amnesia bearing fruit S7 could be a real mess.  Yet I don't blame her at all in yearning for a little story of her own, none of the secondary cast have anything to do other than stand around and spout exposition or just be the support act to Castle and Beckett. 

But PTSD? Awful idea. It's dumb because they do such a terrible job with continuity on this show, we've had zero sign she's been traumatised by her experiences at the hands of those kidnappers so the idea she gets upset now over either what previously happened or what's going on with her father is simply eye roll worthy. Where was the emotional turmoil and trauma every time dad's been in trouble running around after Beckett? Never seen it, except perhaps in Rise and then there was a brief outburst in Cops & Robbers. Alexis is not that popular a character especially after the Pi fiasco and to have her moping around with PTSD taking up valuable screen time I sense is not going to be a ratings winner for them. 

Although it would be kind of amusing if they went from one extreme to another and suddenly brought tons of things back the fans had given up hope of ever hearing about again and packed them all into one season. 

Edited by verdana

I watched the panel and I took it as Alan assuming that Nathan signed a standard 7 year contract, but of course, it could also be that Nathan's confided in him in private. Nathan didn't respond to that comment.  The comment came in the context of discussing Alan as a guest star on Castle, and was followed by Nathan's pitch about Alan being this pretend British investigator.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  In any case, we'll know when ABC makes the announcement and likely not before.

Yeah, this all makes sense, though I doubt Alan knows anything super specific ( - meaning, I doubt they've sat down and Nathan's said "so, 7 seasons is good, I'm out after that. shhh don't tell"). That said, if he had made a decision that season 7 was it, he seems classy enough that I'm sure he'd have told the producers/the network so they could make accommodations to wrap up the story, because he should know better there's not much worse for the fans than an unfinished storyline. And I'd assume ABC would have run with that as a ratings gimmick - watch the final season of Castle! - just like they did with Lost and Desperate Housewives and CBS did with How I Met Your Mother. Plus someone would have gotten wind of it somehow, even if ABC wanted to keep it quiet.

It probably amounts to nothing more than the standard actor mantra of assuming that your show is cancelled at the end of the season, but if nothing else it makes for a nice sensationalist headline. :)

I can't blame Molly Quinn for wanting more for Alexis. As a matter of fact, I can't blame ANY of the secondary actors for wanting more to do.

I don't blame any of them either, but that doesn't mean I want Alexis to get a PTSD storyline.  Or really much of any storyline.  Molly seems like a good actress, but I haven't enjoyed her character in awhile.  If they are going to give her more to do, they need to start having her interact with Beckett.

Although it would be kind of amusing if they went from one extreme to another and suddenly brought tons of things back the fans had given up hope of ever hearing about again and packed them all into one season.

That would be really funny.  Even if they just randomly mentioned them once.  They could have an episode where in each scene they mention a different dropped plot.

If they are going to give her more to do, they need to start having her interact with Beckett.

Sincerely curious here, but why is Alexis getting more to do dependent on Beckett? I'll admit this regime has done shit in the way of connecting the two, but it just seems like a case now of "too little, too late", and it isn't as if Alexis is a child who needs to love her stepmommy. Of course, being TV, maybe it's a trope where it is expected a la The Brady Bunch but with the horse long out of the barn, it just seems a waste of time now, to me.

Surely there could be a story for Alexis not dependent on Beckett. Not saying they can't interact or shouldn't, if just for Castle's sake, but it seems almost as limiting for Alexis if it comes solely down to Beckett, just as being solely around her father and grandmother has limited her.

But then, everyone seems to exist in bubbles as of late, so...

Surely there could be a story for Alexis not dependent on Beckett.

Well, yes, there certainly could be.  They could have her picking a career path, getting PTSD, or dating another annoying guy (or even an annoying girl). I just meant that I have no interest in anything Alexis related if it isn't connected to Castle/Beckett.  Honestly, I have no interest in anything on the show that isn't connected to Castle/Beckett.  They have given all these other characters so little to do that I don't care enough about them outside of that context.

it isn't as if Alexis is a child who needs to love her stepmommy.

That's why I think it would be an interesting storyline.  She's not some little kid angry about getting a new mom or who needs a maternal figure in her life. So, what kind of relationship will they have?  

It's not really unrealistic that a 19-year-old wouldn't spend that much time with her father's new fiance.  But nothing about Castle is realistic.  Alexis and Castle were always shown to have a close relationship and Beckett would clearly have an impact on that.  We sort of saw hints that the Pi thing was her acting out about Beckett, but then it was just dropped.  It probably is too late at this point though (like many things).

That's why I think it would be an interesting storyline.  She's not some little kid angry about getting a new mom or who needs a maternal figure in her life. So, what kind of relationship will they have?

The thing I would dread about and Alexis PTSD storyline inspired by her father's possible death is that, based on "Cops and Robbers", for example, it's likely to manifest itself in making Beckett an emotional punching bag. Since the circumstances already are guaranteed to be emotionally devastating to Beckett, Alexis piling on would just be distasteful.

The thing I would dread about and Alexis PTSD storyline inspired by her father's possible death is that, based on "Cops and Robbers", for example, it's likely to manifest itself in making Beckett an emotional punching bag.

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be, at least not in a traditional PTSD sense. It could be about Alexis realizing that her dad and his wife do dangerous things and she can't control that, but she can still make the effort to be with them and be a family and not take them for granted, even if she is an adult now and maybe doesn't need her daddy like she used to. It could sort of be an atonement for a lot of the selfish crap Alexis did last season. And it would help to integrate Alexis back into the back into the show in a more useful way than exploring her "I'm an adult, I get to make my own decisions now" attitude and maybe bring back the family aspect that's been lacking.

• Love 1

There's lots of things that they've missed the boat on when it comes to developing certain relationships and it feeling remotely realistic but better later than never. 

Getting Beckett to interact with Alexis more often would be the best way of making Alexis more palatable to a lot people and since I only care about Caskett at least I'd be interested in the story instead of moaning that she's taking up valuable screen time with another useless boyfriend. In this way you kill two birds with one stone. But it has to be something positive, they have Alexis even look at Beckett the wrong way and the vitriol directed at her by certain elements of the fandom (and even the actress at times unfortunately) will be painful to witness. Many like/love/adore Beckett and the writers have their heads screwed on they should be using that to make Alexis more likeable and also feel more relevant. 

I'm fed up with them ignoring their relationship in the painfully obvious way they do and I want them to rectify that in some way. Alexis may be grown up with her own life and Beckett sure as hell isn't going to have Alexis calling her "mom" but they've yet again shown a woeful lack of imagination when it comes to exploring their dynamic.  Considering that Beckett was about to become part of Castle's family it's been so frustrating to see moments sail on by when they could have had interesting scenes together (on screen where for me it counts) in a truly organic way rather than have them do a mime act or a fist bump which must presumably count in Marlowe's mind as interesting and important character development.

(edited)

So I watched that bit of Molly's panel where she answered the Castle question and I think she said that she's almost certain the PTSD storyline will happen, so... I guess AM or DA had a chat with her about Alexis' storyline this season and that's where she's getting her info from.

Count me as one of those who think a PTSD storyline really should have happened after her kidnapping, and that Alexis/Beckett bonding should have started bonding way back when Castle and Beckett started dating.  Oh well, I prefer an Alexis storyline that doesn't involve a boyfriend to one that does any day at this point. ;)  I may be in the minority but I didn't feel they did a spectacular job with the PTSD storyline with Beckett the last time around.  Her scene with Esposito was memorable, but that was about it for me.  A lot of the other stuff felt a bit too heavy handed.  I've watched other shows where they did these storylines with a defter touch, which I find often missing on Castle these days.

I do think the show still needs to rebuild the Castle/Alexis relationship a bit after last season and give it some love and attention; doesn't feel quite as strong and deep (as well as entertaining) to me as in the early years.  Their conflict last season focused more on Alexis and her growing pains rather than Castle's role as a Dad, beyond being his daughter's doormat to step on unfortunately. 

I thought Alexis' questions to Castle about his relationship with Beckett, and her anger and concerns back in 401 were interesting and relevant.  Pity they never followed up on developing anything from that.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

From the Joss Whedon panel, apparently Nathan's role in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is a CGI character and he speaks in a robot voice (which he nailed!) so those who watch the movie can keep an eye out for his 'monstrous inmate'. Joss funnily said that he enjoyed Nathan in GotG and thought it was the best he'd looked heh.

Seems like Seamus was at Comic Con as well celebrating his birthday with his wife, Jon Huertas, and Michael Trucco (Demming).  There really was a panel of Castle actors at Comic Con.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

I thought their conversation in Rise was good and you're right that was when they should have built upon her fears. I miss those little moments between father and daughter. 

As for Beckett's PTSD count me in as a fan who didn't think much of how they dealt with her condition, it was slapdash. Killshot came over as Emmy bait and it left me cold. I agree the stand out moment was her conversation with Espo, that was way more powerful emotionally to watch than seeing her sobbing all over the place then getting drunk and dishevelled in her apartment. After that was over with I got the impression they figured they had "done" PTSD and didn't need to revisit the topic - Beckett could get over it. The show isn't cut out for handling these kind of issues properly. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Alan's comment is interesting, because something like that doesn't come out of nowhere. He may not know details of what ABC and Marlowe/Amann are planning, but he and Nathan are besties so it must be based on at least a little truth. I could see Nathan saying in casual conversation (and it being a known thing amongst his friends) that he has no intention of extending his contract past season 7.

We'll find out soon enough.

ETA: some Esplanie babbling from AWM to TVLine:

http://tvline.com/2014/07/28/ncis-season-12-ducky-origin-story-spoilers/

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
I guess AM or DA had a chat with her about Alexis' storyline this season and that's where she's getting her info from.

Sigh.  I keep hearing things I don't like about season 7.

But really doing a PTSD storyline means not forgetting about the accident/kidnapping after the first two episodes.  We'll see if that happens.

From TV Line:

Any scoop on Castle’s Esplainie?–Marine
In a word from series creator Andrew W. Marlowe, “Yeah” – but I truly believe him, based on some body language I picked up on as he said. It. “We do have a couple of things that we’re working on, in that relationship,” he added. (To which I suggested: They should quickly make use of the wedding venue! He laughed: “If only we could go back there and afford the location fee!”)

Does anyone still care after the incredibly shoddy way they've been written, as an afterthought at best? ;)

I want to tell AM that he could afford the location fee if he hadn't wasted $50,000 on a hideous dress that never served any purpose.

Down to body language now? Oh please, is his verbal subtext not good enough anymore? ;)

• Love 1
Does anyone still care after the incredibly shoddy way they've been written, as an afterthought at best? ;)

Well, to be fair, I guess some do still care since Esposito/Lanie still get asked about.

But I'll agree that it's surprising as they are so pathetically neglected.

I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if these spoiler questions were made up to tailor to whatever spoilers were at hand.

But in fairness, there probably is a contingent of fans who do still ship Esplanie.  It's not that I'm opposed to them, but if they're going to do a storyline then do it properly, not half heartedly as has been the case for them to date.  That's a sure fire way to make the audience indifferent to a storyline.  Offscreen Esplanie breakup comes out of nowhere.  One minute Esposito's still pining for Lanie.  Another minute he seems to just want a casual hook up.  Next minute he's flirting with Tori or some other woman.  All with little insight into the characters whatsoever.  End result: who cares?  Actually, it's turned me off the pairing a little because it seems like the characters can't make up their minds (or don't care) in a similar way to how Caskett approached their wedding planning.

Flicker, that pic's been deleted.  So I guess it's a spoiler that Castle is well and alive in 702 and his beautiful face hasn't been disfigured? :P  Or enhanced by scruff? I hope he wasn't wearing anything horrible from Luke.

I feel sorry for those fans who are still taking an active interest in their relationship status whatever that might be. Together? Not together? Friends with benefits? Who knows and frankly who cares. I know I don't. The writers don't seem bothered so why should I care. 

(edited)
Luana @castleealways  ·  21m

SPOILER 7x01 ou 7x02 ?

Hahaha

pic.twitter.com/cG7cbVXDfS"

Is this it?  Apparently it got deleted/taken down but that kind of thing soon gets copied and spread around. 

Seems like everyone is back to business as normal then by 7.02 which doesn't surprise me at all.   

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Thanks for the details.  Good old blue button down.  At least he can never go wrong with that in my book!

So I guess everything's back to normal for AM's 'fun' second episode about some toy mogul.  Castle will be like a kid in a candy store no doubt. ;)  And then at the very end there'll be an out of the blue, dramatic dark scene with a tiny bite of his tasty mythology.  Probably interrupts a Caskett kiss.  All of AM's favourite elements.

I am a little surprised that AM's not stretching out and milking his dramatic cliffhanger as much as he can, i.e. with a 2 parter on Castle's kidnapping before he is found.  Perhaps he is trying not to keep Castle and Beckett separate for too long after the furore from the finale.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

Andrew Bikichky @AndrewBikichky  ·  8h

“@liverfool2: Hey new ep 2day. Who's directing plz and thx :)”

#Castle Ep702

Dir Alrick Riley

Script Andrew Marlowe

As Nadine mentioned earlier a new director and of course Mr Marlowe confirmed as being at the helm. 

I don't expect great things from an AM solo outing given his recent efforts, I'll probably find out something disturbing about Castle's past that I really wish I hadn't.

Good to see the old faithful blue button down back, some things never change. All I need to see now is Castle dressed in some ill fitting and unsightly jacket to confirm that Luke hasn't lost his "magic" touch where Nathan's wardrobe is concerned. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

I would be delighted to see Fillion leave Castle after this season and go on to something where he has some enthusiasm. I think Marlowe made a huge mistake in not evolving the show to a point where it could survive without Fillion. But staying means stagnation and I think Fillion is acutely aware of that. He isn't getting any younger and the time since the demise of Firefly as a TV series is only getting longer. Maybe he will stay yet one more season after this with a bigger paycheck and shorter schedule but he'd be crazy to go beyond that.

Of course Fillion would likely lose a legion of 50-something fans if he leaves at any point other than the ultimate series end--and I say that as a 51 year old on-looker, not really a fan. But I think Nathan is looking to attract a much younger base, so maybe ticking off some soccer moms would help build his street creds.

Edited by TVWithPity

I think Marlowe made a huge mistake in not evolving the show to a point where it could survive without Fillion.

I don't, because there's not really a way to evolve the show to survive without the main character. The show has always been a writer following a cop, and if they lose either the writer or the cop, the show is over, end of story.

I think he's happy enough to be employed and that he'd be hard pressed to find something where he'd be employed with the same sort of perks as sticking with Castle, so I see him sticking around until the end (that is, ABC decides to cancel it or Marlowe decides the story is over). I don't really see him just deciding it's not worth it anymore. He's got a steady job, whatever sort of seniority that comes with that, on a respectable network with a solid fanbase and a great (if tiring) working environment. It it were me, that would be enough to stick around.

• Love 3
(edited)

I would be delighted to see Fillion leave Castle after this season and go on to something where he has some enthusiasm. I think Marlowe made a huge mistake in not evolving the show to a point where it could survive without Fillion. But staying means stagnation and I think Fillion is acutely aware of that. He isn't getting any younger and the time since the demise of Firefly as a TV series is only getting longer. Maybe he will stay yet one more season after this with a bigger paycheck and shorter schedule but he'd be crazy to go beyond that.

I have no idea what Fillion wants out of his life obviously but I do agree he looks bored and creatively he must feel stultified. There were times last season watching him where I thought this guy needs to move on and find something that does fire his enthusiasms, life's too short and all that. I've been in those kind of jobs and after a while the steady pay cheque and the added bonus that you like the people you work with isn't enough to keep you in the job, you need stimulation and a reason to want to come into work each day. However, I'm not Fillion and may be what he's got right now (as McManda pointed out) is more than enough to keep him pottering along until the series ends in whatever way that occurs.

As for your other point, for me that was never an option that could be considered or would work. The show is Fillion and always has been right from the start with the way he portrays Castle and his relationship with Beckett as muse there is no way to work around it.

Edited by verdana

Yawn to the Esplanie spoiler and storyline. Espo has his moments but overall I don't need to see that much of him. With Ryan yes but that's about it.

The PTSD storyline is coming way too late and since I'm not big on Alexis since season 3/4 I couldn't care less. The only concern I really have is that they turn it into another bitching against Beckett arc at first. I bet she holds Kate responsible for the crash and Castle going missing. Besides it's another way to move her back into the loft (I really hope she moved out and back into her dorm) and interrupt whatever intimate scene we'll get between Caskett (sitting two feet apart on the couch).

As for your other point, for me that was never an option that could be considered or would work. The show is Fillion and always has been right from the start with the way he portrays Castle and his relationship with Beckett as muse there is no way to work around it.

That's always been crystal clear to me.  If Marlowe ever wanted to evolve his show into something without Castle, then he would not have called his show 'Castle'. ;)

Nathan and Stana acting together has been the only thing that's kept me watching.  If not for them, I would have ditched the show ages ago.

I think the show's at a point where everyone's creative muscles and career are stagnating.  Stana's not getting any younger either, and when I see her peers land more interesting roles on cable series these days, I find myself hoping she and Nathan and the rest of the cast risk it out there some time soon, even if there's no guarantee of a steady paycheck.  There is better writing out there and I don't want their talents wasted on less.

I don't see how the time of demise since Firefly is relevant, but I think Castle would do well if it still had the critical acclaim and fan attention 10 years after it goes off the air.  Nor do I see evidence of Nathan trying to attract a younger base, unless you think that's the case because he likes cons.  I don't think Nathan's fans consist mostly of middle aged women nor do I think Stana's fans are mostly teenagers.  Castle may skew towards older viewers in the U.S,, but I actually see a much younger online presence.

• Love 1
(edited)
Of course Fillion would likely lose a legion of 50-something fans if he leaves at any point other than the ultimate series end--and I say that as a 51 year old on-looker, not really a fan. But I think Nathan is looking to attract a much younger base, so maybe ticking off some soccer moms would help build his street creds.

Well, if he loses some fans who "are-not-really-a-fans" and only watch him in Castle, I think it's only natural and will happen anyway as soon as the series end, no matter when and how. As for the street creds -- I'm not sure about the average age of his fanbase, but from what I've noticed, Fillion is one of those few actors who has rather big following among male audience as well as female. It's very evident by the mere look at the audience at his panels - they are usually full of men as well as women, about 50/50, and many of these men who became fans after Firefly and his voice work in games and animation can't wait for him to leave mainstream TV and return to sci-fi/comic/adventure genres. So, even if he loses some, he'll definitely gain some as well. Plus, I know some "soccer moms" -- maybe not a legion, but quite a handful -- who will definitely stick along even after Castle ends, and even if he walks away of it himself (which I strongly doubt would ever happen). I say that as a female in my late forties -- there are many gamers and avid sci-fi lovers in our generation as well, both male and female. And I know a bunch of Fillion fanboys among my peers and younger, who don't even watch Castle because they don't care for mainstream police procedurals, but they'll be definitely on board supporting him when/if he does something more "geeky".  The latest buzz in geek community regarding his supposed cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy is another evidence of that support. I have an impression that neither he nor James Gunn even expected the level of that excitement. 

I see him sticking around until the end (that is, ABC decides to cancel it or Marlowe decides the story is over). I don't really see him just deciding it's not worth it anymore. He's got a steady job, whatever sort of seniority that comes with that, on a respectable network with a solid fanbase and a great (if tiring) working environment. It it were me, that would be enough to stick around.

Yeah, looks like it. He definitely appreciates the advantages of being steadily employed. On the other hand, he can't be blind to some alternative possibilities for his career that he's missing at the moment because of his tough schedule on network TV. Both Whedon and Gunn made it clear in their interviews that they would love to use Nathan more and make him a part of Marvel Universe, but he's too busy shooting Castle. Their schedule seems really brutal compared to cable TV shows that have only 10-13 episodes per season, and even network sitcoms which are twice as short in footage. Actually, I sometimes wonder if ABC would be flexible enough to go for half-seasons with Castle after season 7. It could be a nice middle ground, giving lead actors enough time to participate in other projects, as well as recharge their energies and maybe even start families if they feel like it, etc. And I personally would prefer to have 13 strong, compelling episodes without any "fillers" and weak COTWs than to have a full season half of which is absolutely forgettable and not rewatchable, and with both leads looking really exhausted by the end of each 9-month shooting marathon. And in the spring season ABC could use Castle's timeslot for launching its new shows aimed for similar target audience. After all, Castle started as spring mid-season replacement as well. 

Edited by Karen

I don't, because there's not really a way to evolve the show to survive without the main character. The show has always been a writer following a cop, and if they lose either the writer or the cop, the show is over, end of story.

I think he's happy enough to be employed and that he'd be hard pressed to find something where he'd be employed with the same sort of perks as sticking with Castle, so I see him sticking around until the end (that is, ABC decides to cancel it or Marlowe decides the story is over). I don't really see him just deciding it's not worth it anymore. He's got a steady job, whatever sort of seniority that comes with that, on a respectable network with a solid fanbase and a great (if tiring) working environment. It it were me, that would be enough to stick around.

Same here. He points that out whenever he gets asked about the show. It pays the bills. Nothing more, nothing less. I can see him pulling away from the show if something better comes his way. Don't know if Gunn or Whedon can really get him onto their movies like that. I mean action is not really something Nathan can do anymore and I doubt he'll give up on his fulltime job on Castle to do little stuff on the movies. He can do that now anyway.

I rather think Stana is the one pulling out since she seems to dig those indi movie projects and yeah hurtfull as that sounds her time is running out. She doesn't seem to have as many good connections as Nathan does so it will be harder for her to get into anything that attracks people. I have seen the CBGB movie with her but that's about it.