Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Yes but there is a difference between evaluating their past work within the genre it is and worrying about whether or not they can write a romantic couple because they came from a darker show. That is putting them in a box. 

For Example:

Rob Hanning comes from the sitcom world.  So while I can see people saying "gee Hope and Faith was funny so his new comedy will be" I think it would have been unfair to wonder if he could work on Castle.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly not worried about anyone's ability. Talking about it isn't the same as worrying about something.

But I do think it's fair to wonder about people's abilities though. It's not like like I'm not giving someone a job writing romance because they were on a dark show. Wondering about whether a new writer will be any good is no different than wondering whether an episode description sounds like it will be good enough. It's not taking anything away from the writer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Schow and McMains were there last season.

IMO, O'Brien's a great coup for the show in terms of experience, etc.

I noticed O'Brien has his own parking space. I didn't think writers got their own space (unless maybe they're also EPs?). But his bio is fuller than the others from what I've seen, so he was probably hired in at a higher level, perhaps? 

McMains started as Marlowe's assistant. Did he get promoted to writer's assistant at some point? Do we know if Shawn Waugh (who I ~think started as Amann's assistant and it seemed worked with the writers too) is still around?

Edited by S55

McMains started as Marlowe's assistant. Did he get promoted to writer's assistant at some point?

I don't know what his official title is, but he was also co-credited as a story writer for S5's Recoil.

Thanks Nadine.

O'Brien is definitely the most experienced of that new intake so wouldn't surprise me if he's higher up the pecking order in that writers room. 

Was there any romance at all on The Following?  Let's hope the writers brought in from that show have a good feel for it.  The hot and sexy, warm and fuzzy kind.  Not the twisted kind. ;)

Heh, yeah lets hope TPW and co can shrug off the shackles and encourage the new writers on the block to give us something more than treating interrupted kisses as the highlight of Castle and Beckett's day to day romantic interactions. 

In the end the showrunner calls the shots and sets the tone, so I find it difficult to make comparisons of any kind between writers on other shows plus I don't watch many other shows so I have to rely on others saying "oh yeah he/she is great!" and so on when they turn up. I remember when the Creaseys arrived, some fans assumed we'd get much steamier scenes because of their work on a previous show (was it Mistresses?) but they probably got the dos and don'ts list from Marlowe and Miller on day 1 reminding them its called fonting not fucking and the only time Caskett can get sweaty and horizontal is when they're knocked flat running after a suspect. These people want to get on, develop a resume and improved connections within the industry so I can understand writers adapting their output to whatever the showrunner demands irrespective of what they might like to do or consider their particular strength. That's not to say you can't spot the talent (or the mediocre) but I'm mindful that in the end they're writing not for themselves but for someone else and it depends on how much leeway that person in charge is prepared to give, some are more relaxed and open than others. 

What interests me is how Hawley will approach things as unlike Winter he's had a chance to be away from Marlowe's indoctrination for a few years now, what fresh ideas can he bring to the table without crapping over Marlowe's legacy and unsettling the fans. 

• Love 1

That's fair.

Perhaps its all the wonder that I don't understand then. I wonder and question very little about the shows I watch. I just watch them.

I also definitely don't put any stock into episode descriptions so I can't get behind that comparison.

I don't think episode descriptions usually tell you if an episode's going to be good/bad either, I just meant that it's reasonable for a person to think about one.  The point of them is to get a view interested, it's just that smart viewers know they aren't always accurate/reliable.

But mileage obviously varies, because I wonder about and question pretty much everything I see/watch/read.  I wish I could turn it off sometimes.

• Love 1

Jim Adler ‏@jimadler  6 hrs6 hours ago

New season. New Shoes. And empty white boards. We call that "opportunity".  #season8

https://twitter.com/jimadler/status/606505600760074240

Hoping they take those opportunities and not waste them which they've done too often in the past. 

Terri Edda Miller ‏@TerriEdda  6 hrs6 hours ago

I'm not there. But my heart is still with #Castle #breakaleg @castle_writers

As long as it's only your heart Terri. 

Steph Hicks ‏@Sticks919  17 hrs17 hours ago

Dear #castle fans. @OldManWinter14 is threatening to leave Twitter now that he's busy being the boss. Let's remind him why you love him!

Instead why not leave him alone, does he really want to be bombarded with pleading tweets to stick around, like that's going to put him in a better mood? There's no law that says you are obligated to be on twitter and with his showrunner duties he's going to have an increased workload. I certainly don't expect the writers to be sending tweets all the time (or the cast for that matter), they're usually not very exciting or informative in any case. I'd much rather they concentrated on the writing and crafting the best show they can. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Not sorry to say that being reminded that Terri isn't going back to work with the Castle writers brings me happiness, not sadness. She's sure not missed in my eyes. 

Like verdana, I'm more than a little peeved with the borderline bullying to keep TPW on Twitter. He obviously doesn't get into it like some others, and, unless his big bosses at ABC are strongly suggesting to him to be more active (which I suspect they aren't since Marlowe was a ghost these past few seasons and Amann didn't join it at all), who gives a shit if he leaves? It won't make his writing or showrunning duties any better (or worse). 

I must say I love that Christine Roum hasn't given into the Twitter mania. It's. Not. For. Everyone. And that's OK. 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1

From EW:

Is it too early for Castle scoop? — Heather
A wee bit, though new co-showrunner Alexi Hawley promises we’re in for a change in the new season. “We just want to get in there and try to tell some really dynamic stories,” he says. “Going into season 8, it feels like it’s time to shake things up a little bit.”

Well, they did shake things up already by saying adios to Gates.  Let's hope it won't be a case of plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.  I hope all the new writers have done their homework and watched all the seasons so they can see how the show was in early seasons, how it was in later ones, and bring back what was good as well as bringing a pair of fresh eyes to it all.  And read all the books too, to see what they do better. 

Yay for another "mythology" free interview. ;)  I hope "dynamic stories" isn't the new "compelling storytelling" heh.

• Love 3
(edited)

Amen to this madmaverick and yeah what a relief not to hear the word mythology mentioned.  On the one hand they do need to shake things up because creatively they were moribund and it's good to sense there's enthusiasm there even if it's probably standard PR speak but on another level it worries me that Hawley and co will make the mistake of thinking they have to do something dramatic just to prove a point. Fans don't usually like change no matter how much they might complain about certain things so the new showrunners need to strike an appropriate balance when putting their own stamp on things (which is understandable) or they run the risk of alienating their core general viewing audience who probably see Castle more like a form of comfort food. 

Castle has never struck me as a show that does edgy or dramatic that well, but I guess it all depends on the quality of the writing and how far they want to push things. I'm excited to see what they have planned. 

Edited by verdana

Amen to this madmaverick and yeah what a relief not to hear the word mythology mentioned. 

Oh, this. Because dull and derivative !=archetypal, seriously this is Joseph Campbell territory, or it wouldn't have been the plot on season whatever of Bones.

(edited)
"Shake things up" all too frequently means "introduce a new serial killer" or "break up the main couple" . Oh, joy...

Unless they've completely lost the plot, I'm fairly confident they won't go with the latter but I'm sure we'll get a new big bad protagonist for Castle and Beckett to come up against.

The problem with any break up situation is that it sends out a signal that the writers have run completely out of ideas and the show has literally nothing else to recommend it other than the main leads romantic and working partnership to the viewing audience. It has no ensemble to take up the slack as a diversion and with Castle and Beckett at odds they're screwed storytelling wise unless it's a one or two episode deal. 

As soon as any show gets to the "make up break up" stage of proceedings for the leads as a storytelling device it's definitely time to call it a day, unless they're keen on Castle becoming a soap.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I also think it's doubtful "shakeup" means to split Castle and Beckett. For all Marlowe's shortcomings, that was one thing he was good at keeping his word on.

• Love 2
(edited)

Cecilia Martin ‏@cecimartin  9 hrs9 hours ago Nevada, USA

To the rumors going around that Susan Sullivan is not coming back, I've got it from a very, VERY good source that she's coming back! #Castle

I didn't know there were any recent rumors although I have wondered if they'll cut costs further with getting rid of Susan as she must be the most expensive secondary cast member they have or reducing her screen time even further. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Why Richard Castle would be nothing without his TV queens at The Daily Telegraph with Fillion talking briefly about Molly and Susan's auditions.

“It was the same thing with Susan,”Fillion said. “She has so much of Martha in her. She came into audition and said, ‘stand up darling, I won’t be looking down on you, that won’t work for me.’ She had me stand up and read with her and that’s just so Martha.”

Edited by verdana
(edited)

I've read that story before and love the idea of Susan telling Nathan to stand up at her audition heh.  You go, Susan!  There's so much life to Martha that I would be very sad to bid her an abrupt farewell like Gates.

Seeing some stuff from the Castle Con in Germany on the interwebs, and got to feel for Penny when she tells everyone she did not choose to leave Castle.  May be bittersweet to talk about your Castle set experiences when you've just been dismissed.  She didn't get to say goodbye on screen, but at least she's getting a hello/goodbye with fans.  Classy lady.

Why the kissing?  I did not need to see Jon and Penny kissing!  At least it wasn't on screen, thankfully. ;)

Looking at Jon and Seamus' outfits at the con, they really are the real dandies.  Red plaid sneakers, Jon?  Really? Heh.  Not feeling the facial hair on either.

Can't say I cared for Seamus' remarks about being scared of Firefly fans, but not Castle fans.  Really, Seamus?  I thought bashing Firefly and its fans was just a lunatic fringe group activity for a certain subsect of Castle fans.  How disappointing that you decided to join in.  I don't feel the need to bash Eurovision fans. ;)  And hey, if you had those loyal, "scary" Firefly fans on your side, your crowdfunding campaign might have been more of a success.  Just a thought before you decide to diss any fans in case you decide to ask them for money in the future. 

I'm sure we'll get a new big bad protagonist for Castle and Beckett to come up against.

Rewatched Hollander's Woods recently and that doc really did have potential.   Oh well, too late.

As soon as any show gets to the "make up break up" stage of proceedings for the leads as a storytelling device it's definitely time to call it a day, unless they're keen on Castle becoming a soap.

I don't watch Bones but I've seen recent headlines about "marital troubles" for the couple on that show. *shudder*  Something I do not want to see on Castle.  But then again I don't think we'll get to Season 10 or 12 or whatever it is on Bones. 

In case someone still hasn't seen it, $10 a pop gets you a chance to a trip to LA with NF, flights and accommodation on him.  I like the equal opportunity of it all and it's for a good cause. https://www.crowdrise.com/kusewera-nathanfillioncampaign/fundraiser/kusewera1

Edited by madmaverick

also think it's doubtful "shakeup" means to split Castle and Beckett. For all Marlowe's shortcomings, that was one thing he was good at keeping his word on.

But since Marlowe's exited, aren't all bets off?

I think it depends on if the new show runners are given the freedom to do as they see fit, unlike David Amann, who seemed like a puppet for Marlowe. If Marlowe is truly gone, then...yeah, anything is possible.

Can't say I cared for Seamus' remarks about being scared of Firefly fans, but not Castle fans.  Really, Seamus?  I thought bashing Firefly and its fans was just a lunatic fringe group activity for a certain subsect of Castle fans.  How disappointing that you decided to join in.  I don't feel the need to bash Eurovision fans. ;)  And hey, if you had those loyal, "scary" Firefly fans on your side, your crowdfunding campaign might have been more of a success.  Just a thought before you decide to diss any fans in case you decide to ask them for money in the future.

Where would he come in contact with so many Firefly fans that it becomes a problem anyway. Is there a context for this joke? I bet it sounded OK in context.

(edited)

FrancescaP ‏@F_theLittle  22h22 hours ago

Penny: "the only reason I'm here is because of you" ❤️ #castle @12thPrecinctCON

https://twitter.com/F_theLittle/status/607114315800408064

Trawling the Castle tag on twitter I came across this, hey good for Penny that she went after what's happened.

I realise they all get paid to go to these cons but I wouldn't have blamed her if she'd cancelled but she's classy and honored her commitment. 

Oh madmaverick beat me to it. 

Can't say I cared for Seamus' remarks about being scared of Firefly fans, but not Castle fans.  Really, Seamus?  I thought bashing Firefly and its fans was just a lunatic fringe group activity for a certain subsect of Castle fans.  How disappointing that you decided to join in.

I remember on the S6 DVD they had an interview with the boys and Seamus made some comment about Firefly and I thought whoah guess you're not a fan heh.  He has a way of saying things sometimes and I'm amazed he gets away with it because it sounds kind of insulting to me but I'm not sure how to take what he says may be it's his kind of humor? 

Hmmm I can tell it's deep into summer hiatus time as on the #Castle tag on tumblr all I'm seeing is actual castles.

Edited by verdana
I remember on the S6 DVD they had an interview with the boys and Seamus made some comment about Firefly and I thought whoah guess you're not a fan heh.  He has a way of saying things sometimes and I'm amazed he gets away with it because it sounds kind of insulting to me but I'm not sure how to take what he says may be it's his kind of humor?

I remember that one as well, but it sounded more like a friendly dig in NF's direction, the kind he and his friends seem to enjoy. It might sound a bit rude to an "innocent bystander", but if you watched enough of Firefly convention panels, BTS and interviews, and got used to the kind of humor NF seems to cultivate in his friend circle, you see it as just fake mocking and a sort of traditional dig exchange. JH and SD are into that as well. Besides, it wouldn't have been included in the DVD if it really was something untoward, at least I hope so. The comment madmaverick quoted is another matter, because it's not a dig at NF, it sounds like a dig at fans and pitting fans against each other. And it's bad taste IMO. That's why I ask about context. He could say it as a reply to a question similarly structured or something provoking exactly this sort of reply etc. It could be funny and appropriate in context, as long as it was delivered and taken in a friendly spirit and not as something divisive and definitive out of nowhere. Then it sounds like playing with fans and actually building oneself up on fans' issues.

But then again, after that recasting drama on Twitter nothing would surprise me much.

(edited)
Where would he come in contact with so many Firefly fans that it becomes a problem anyway. Is there a context for this joke? I bet it sounded OK in context.

To be fair, no context is provided beyond a tweet from a fan reporting on the Castle panel at #12thprecinctcon.  You can look under that hashtag for reports.

Seamus is not afraid of Castle fans. Seamus is more afraid of Firefly fans. #12thPrecinctCON

It probably was intended as a joke, though I can't say I found it funny, absent additional context.  Trying to win points with your fan audience by being less complimentary about another fan group doesn't win points with me, especially as it panders to those Castle fans who love to bash Firefly just because they can, for reasons unrelated to the actual merits of that show.  It's just a tad ironic to make comments like these about any fans considering you're at a fan convention.

Two hour movies can inspire very dedicated legions of fans.  Is it that surprising that a TV series that only ran for 1 season can inspire similar loyalty?  Firefly wasn't the first and won't be the last to do so.  When any actor has a project that people are still passionate about years later, no matter how short lived, I bet they would be grateful to be remembered than find its fans "scary".  And when any actor wants fans to help fund their projects, Seamus included, they should be grateful to have any fans, period. 

He also said that only 40 year old women, moms and grandparents watch Castle in America.  I don't belong to any of those groups, but is that supposed to be funny?

Edited by madmaverick

Putting my comment on the "shaking things up" stuff here since it's spec. I doubt they will break up Castle and Beckett. Simply because that would be a big story that focused on the pairing and well…that's not going to happen. 

But I'm happy to be wrong.

Yeah I think the shaking things up part is more with Gates exiting and Beckett being promoted. So even though Castle and Beckett will be separated due to whatever avenue they go down with Beckett, I don't see them going the marital problems route for what you put above (but my gut is immersed in a 4,500 word paper right now so is currently all over the place - so I'm probably wrong).

Because the characters have been in a standstill so to speak (since Beckett came back from D.C.) it makes sense to shake up the situation.

I don't belong to any of those groups either. People are always making jokes about Castle being watched by older people, but I think they do have a large fan base of younger fans as well (see Tumblr). But I guess jokes about the demographics are supposed to be funny, since people keep making them.

My adult children and their significant others all used to watch Castle.  One by one they have abandoned watching in real time and only watch when there's absolutely nothing else on, then they'll catch up on an episode and may or may not finish watching the season before the next season starts.  They have commented that the COTWs have gotten weaker and less interesting, the show is tired and too predictable, lacking its former wit and freshness.  And, unlike me, they have expressed their opinion by not watching. I really, really hope some fresh talent BTS will inject some freshness back into the show.

Maybe, but from what we know of TPW, he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would go for unnecessary angst for the sake of " shaking things up". He was pretty consistently the guy that always threw the shippers a bone in the romance department when Marlowe was trying to put the brakes on. Unless Hawley (or the network, I guess) is dead set on it, my guess is Castle and Beckett's relationship will be just fine.

I don't belong to any of those groups either. People are always making jokes about Castle being watched by older people, but I think they do have a large fan base of younger fans as well (see Tumblr). But I guess jokes about the demographics are supposed to be funny, since people keep making them.

Don't know about age of online fans, but I see plenty of juvenile behavior. ;)

I just feel it's a bit unfair towards older people who are viewers.  They may actually have more spending power than younger ones in this economy, if viewership value is perceived on those terms.  I think The Good Wife has an older demo as well, but I think those viewers are prized and not the butt of many jokes.  Younger people don't watch TV on TV anymore, so judging viewer demographics based solely on those who watch with TV boxes may not provide the whole picture.

Castle does feel like an old-fashioned show though, for better and for worse.  It's hard to tell, but I don't think it felt so much so in the beginning.  Maybe it's the lack of change in some areas of the show that make it feel aged.  

They have commented that the COTWs have gotten weaker and less interesting, the show is tired and too predictable, lacking its former wit and freshness.

I would agree with that assessment.  I would be happy to see an injection of wit in terms of sharper, smarter dialogue even if nothing else changes.  Castle has always been comfort food TV to me; but there's still a difference between satisfying comfort food and empty calories that make you feel like you wasted your junk food quota.  I don't watch it to be challenged but I don't want to watch a dumbed down show either.  And I want some quality romance and banter that showcases the rare chemistry to full potential.

Read a comment from Seamus saying that his beard came out like Lord Baelish's on GoT.  Now that made me laugh!   Now GoT is an unpredictable show!  Not saying that Castle should aspire to be GoT (*coughweddingsomgcough*) but that's a show that makes every line of dialogue from every character count, and I want to see that kind of writing on Castle.

• Love 1
(edited)

I still think they jumped the gun a bit in terms of getting Caskett engaged (ugh proposal) one season after they got together.  The writers could have explored more of the honeymoon period, more of the transitioning from friends to lovers, meshing of the families, more new couple issues, more new discoveries about each other.  Instead we didn't get much more than badly written "where is this going?!" angst followed by a poorly set up proposal.  The season of engagement dealt with the challenges of a long-distance relationship so I think there may not be much to be gained from going to that well again, and then it was mostly boring wedding planning and an easy reassurance that they wouldn't get boring.  Fingers crossed that they can still think of interesting things to do with the Caskett dynamic now that they are married that preferably don't include kids or relationship angst, but I'm not sure what that will be?  They've really settled into being a solid couple post marriage and I've enjoyed seeing them be there for each other.  I think I would like to see any shakeup come in terms of being a challenge that they face together as a strong team.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

They may actually have more spending power than younger ones in this economy, if viewership value is perceived on those terms.

Ratings and demos are such an antiquated system, it's ridiculous. It's not about spending power (now), it's about forming brand loyalty, or at least that's what they argue. If you catch someone's attention when they're younger, they'll spend money on that product when they have it (which might not be until they're older). And that's even if people watch the commercials any more.

... theoretically. That may have been true in the 50s and 60s and even through the 90s, but I think my generation (I'll be 29 later this month, yikes!) is much more conscious about value for price over anything else. Seeing a commercial for a Mercedes isn't going to make me want one. Neither is seeing a commercial for Nike or a product placement for an iPhone.

What they should do if their goal is to form brand loyalty is target even younger. I mean, kids. If I'm old enough to be watching Castle, chances are I'm not going to care about the commercials. What they should do is put commercials on Nick or Disney, because what I've noticed is my generation is a sucker for nostalgia. I think the reboot-ish Girl Meets World and Fuller House and Amazon selling out of Surge is proof enough of that. 90s nostalgia is hardcore for my generation, and when NickReboot was a thing, they included the commercials because people wanted to watch them. Of course, that gets into the ethics of targeting kids with advertising ... but I'm only 70% kidding about that idea.

That's why it's always made more sense to me to want the older people to watch and want to buy those products. Companies want money now, older people tend to have more disposable income they're willing to spend. And I don't think brand loyalty is as large of a factor as it was for my parents or my grandparents. Especially not because of an ad I saw during a show I was watching.

I know the money has to come from somewhere. I just don't think we live in a world where advertising to 18-34 year old men is the best source for that money anymore, and I think it's only a matter of time before demos, ratings, and letting advertisers decide the fate of media will become just another part of the history books.

• Love 1

I still think they jumped the gun a bit in terms of getting Caskett engaged (ugh proposal) one season after they got together.  The writers could have explored more of the honeymoon period, more of the transitioning from friends to lovers, meshing of the families, more new couple issues, more new discoveries about each other.  Instead we didn't get much more than badly written "where is this going?!" angst followed by a poorly set up proposal.

They could have done that, but this is Castle - I doubt that if the proposal had happened at the end of S6 we would ever have seen any of the honeymoon period stuff or anything else. They would have gone straight to the "where are we going" nonsense. All those items you listed were easy goldmines for stories but the writers chose to ignore most of them for some reason we will never know.

• Love 2

McManda I'm a 90s kid too and I agree about nostalgia being big. But I'm also nearing the end of 18 to 34 and know that I'm just starting to have enough disposable income to be worthwhile to advertisers. The while attracting customers while they are young is worthless if the customers have no money. And most young 20-somethings I know have no money.

But maybe advertisers think older viewers don't even pay attention to ads? Or that they aren't hip enough to want the stuff they are selling?

They may actually have more spending power than younger ones in this economy, if viewership value is perceived on those terms.

My handle should tell you what generation I belong to.

I find it interesting sometimes to see what commercials do turn up on TV shows. The Buick product placement caused a lot of amusement, but I think the advertisers were aiming at the older demographic. A few seasons ago, Castle had cell phone placements.

MadMen in the early days had ads that echoed the time of the show. Towards the end, the biggest advertiser I noticed was Lincoln. My FIL had a Lincoln until he totalled it at 91yo. (He survived, that's a tough car! I recommend it to any terrible driver.)

Coronation Street runs to insurance, Depends, and yogurt. Orphan Black seems to have a lot of baby diaper ads.  I have no idea what Agents of SHIELD advertises, but I'll be watching when it returns. Murdoch Mysteries has a lot of house ads, not many commercials.

Who was advertising on the programmes you watched tonight?

A few seasons ago, Castle had cell phone placements.

This was the one product placement that I absolutely loathed. It was sloppy and obvious is was a product placement: sometimes he had an iPhone, sometimes he had a Windows phone (the Windows phone was the placement) and they would cut to closeups of the Windows phone. No one had a Windows phone. It was like they were trying too hard. (It was the end of season three. I still cringe.) But I don't think the Buick placement means that Castle has decided to appeal to an older audience. At this point, I kind of think they're taking what they can get. But it's interesting that besides the Buick and the Windows phone I can't remember any other obvious product placement.

That's the difference between a can of Coke on the table, or Castle lounging on the couch with a Kindle, or Beckett using an iPhone. That seems natural and normal. I think that's why the Buick doesn't bother me so much. It might be an odd car for him to have, but it's not like he's taking you through a list of the safety features (or the one that I can remember made sense, like where he told the girl working with Tyson to get in the trunk of the car). But when they inserted shots of the Windows phone searching with Bing I wanted to cry.

I honestly couldn't tell you what commercials play during the shows I watch, so maybe that says something about their memorability. And the ones I do remember are probably not for the right reasons. I had the Narwhal song stuck in my head for days after it was used in a commercial, but I don't remember what the commercial was for (Sprint, maybe?). I'll have to pay more attention, because if I watch TV live I usually use commercials as a chance to get up and do something, or check my email, or something.

• Love 1

When Castle was driving the Buick, they made a point to show how it came with wifi. And since so few cars have that feature, it felt very deliberate and advertise-y. 

Like I've said before, I understand why it's done. TV is a business like any other. And some shows need revenue and profit wherever they can get it. But I still don't like it as a viewer. And that goes for any show which does it, not just Castle. While it won't stop me from watching said show, I'd almost prefer they go back to labeling a can of Coca-Cola "Cola" like I've seen done on shows like Seinfeld in the past. It's hacky, but it doesn't make the show seem like it's selling out to advertise the newest, hottest product. 

• Love 2

When Castle was driving the Buick, they made a point to show how it came with wifi. And since so few cars have that feature, it felt very deliberate and advertise-y. 

Like I've said before, I understand why it's done. TV is a business like any other. And some shows need revenue and profit wherever they can get it. But I still don't like it as a viewer. And that goes for any show which does it, not just Castle. While it won't stop me from watching said show, I'd almost prefer they go back to labeling a can of Coca-Cola "Cola" like I've seen done on shows like Seinfeld in the past. It's hacky, but it doesn't make the show seem like it's selling out to advertise the newest, hottest product. 

Exactly. I've seen similar things in other shows like SVU doing it or Bones and it's really annoying.

Heck I remember X Files doing it back in the day too with 'When Animals Attack'.

(edited)
They've really settled into being a solid couple post marriage and I've enjoyed seeing them be there for each other.  I think I would like to see any shakeup come in terms of being a challenge that they face together as a strong team.

Since they've been so poor in the past at writing them having relationship problems it's been a blessed relief to tune in every week and not have the spectre of relationship angst rearing its ugly head. I like them as a happy rock solid couple and I think most of the fans do too and the key for the new regime to remember is that instead of inserting an issue that causes them to be on opposite sides doubting each other and keeping secrets (which was Marlowe's preferred option when it came to generating drama) they're facing any crisis together. Their partnership has always been the central focus of the show and I always hated it when they do anything to rock that or make it appear weaker or not as special as it should be. 

Edited by verdana

Exclusive: Susan Sullivan (Martha Rogers from Castle),

Susan Sullivan talks about her stage work and how long she thinks Castle will run at Whedonoplis.

Susan: I’m impressed with myself. I don’t even know where that came from! *laughs* But I do think that it will be – I know it’s going to go eight. I don’t think it’ll go more than that. Maybe it will, but who knows; we’ll see. Keep this as a quote!

I remember that original interview where Susan said it would last for eight seasons a few years back, I think she's spot on.

Whedonopolis: Is there anywhere you’d like to see Martha go on Castle that she hasn’t gone yet?
Susan: I like where my character went this year. I’m a little scared to move out because I don’t know what’ll happen if I move out – you may never see me again! You see me little enough as it is.

This isn't having a pop at Susan but where did her character go exactly? She had very little to do as usual, no story arc unless you count the sudden bombshell of her leaving. I thought it was sad her comment at the end, if they're keeping Susan on then I hope the new showrunners do something to rectify that and I'm sure Susan would welcome it. 

I still don't think the Buick is/was as bad as the Windows phone. I buy Castle as someone who would have a car with wi-fi. It is a new feature that most cars don't have, but he's into new tech and is a millionaire author, so why wouldn't he have a car that also functions as a mobile hotspot? (I also thought it made sense in context; he needed an internet connection to view plans of the house he was staking out and his car had that capability. ... except I also would have believed that Castle would have had an iPad with a data package and then he wouldn't have needed his car to be a hotspot, but whatever.) The Windows phone was much more cringe-y, IMO, because there's no way Castle would go back and forth between an iPhone and a Windows phone, nor do I buy he'd ever use Bing as a search engine.

But I guess we should just be grateful that there hasn't been more in-show product placement.

• Love 1

Exactly. I've seen similar things in other shows like SVU doing it or Bones and it's really annoying.

Heck I remember X Files doing it back in the day too with 'When Animals Attack'.

I remember how distracting Alias was with those Fords. Pretty sure one of the characters mention an F-150.

Why Richard Castle would be nothing without his TV queens at The Daily Telegraph

In this article they say that loyal shippers are referred to as "Casketeers." I've been watching since day one and have never heard this term.  Perhaps it is an Aussie thing, or a Tumblr thing, neither of which I am or do.

(edited)

I remember how distracting Alias was with those Fords. Pretty sure one of the characters mention an F-150.

I remember that is well.  It's during a car chase scene and sounded so unnatural.

In this article they say that loyal shippers are referred to as "Casketeers." I've been watching since day one and have never heard this term.  Perhaps it is an Aussie thing, or a Tumblr thing, neither of which I am or do.

I have never heard that term mentioned on Tumblr, although I probably only see a micro amount of what goes on there.  I have heard Stana fans call themselves "Stanatics," but never anything for Caskett shippers.

Personally I think it's weird to come up with names for fandoms like that.  I don't even like the label "shipper" (even though I totally am one).  Can't people just say they are a fan of something?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1
That's why it's always made more sense to me to want the older people to watch and want to buy those products. Companies want money now, older people tend to have more disposable income they're willing to spend. And I don't think brand loyalty is as large of a factor as it was for my parents or my grandparents. Especially not because of an ad I saw during a show I was watching.

I know the money has to come from somewhere. I just don't think we live in a world where advertising to 18-34 year old men is the best source for that money anymore, and I think it's only a matter of time before demos, ratings, and letting advertisers decide the fate of media will become just another part of the history books.

I once asked Terry O'Reilly, ad man and author of Age of Persuasion and Under The Influence (also radio shows on CBC) if the demo ratings system really worked in terms of younger people being more willing to change brands.

He very graciously gave me a long reply, saying that it was never true that younger people were more likely to switch brands based on advertising than older people. This was something ABC put out when they had a smaller but younger audience, the idea that the 18 - 34 crowd would be more valuable per capita than older viewers but it was never true.  And in 2015, with student debt, the high level of unemployment among young adults (many boomeranging back into their parents' home) and the number who are in jobs they are overqualified for, it's the 45+ generation that have disposable income and who the advertisers should be targetting.

• Love 2
(edited)

I trawl tumblr quite a bit for my sins and have never heard the term there or anywhere else for that matter. As for Caskett I've tried over the last season not to use it (although I do slip up and get lazy) and instead type  "Castle and Beckett" because in truth I don't like the term that much and it was getting into a bad habit. 

I wish that Terri and Andrew hadn't them use Caskett on screen (in Murder He Wrote) and made it their "official" shipper name.

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Terri talks about Beckett's performance review instead of picking a fav thing she wrote. It was interesting to hear what writers pick as their favs even thought I only watched about 20 of the listed shows.

Thanks for the link, interesting but Terri's most recent pick? That horrible interview in the finale that Beckett had to endure, I thought it was awful and tainted what otherwise was a satisfying finale (for once), forget the fact it didn't make sense, it was predictable and cliched like too much of their recent work. The acting was fine from Stana for what it was (although she's given better and more subtly powerful performances than that) but it was the typical "hero rounds on accusers" speech that I've heard tons of times before on TV shows. In a way the fact she's picked that as a (recent) highlight makes me even more relieved Terri and her husband have left if that's the kind of scene she considers one her favourite moments as a writer.

As for her other suggestions she mentioned in passing (walking on Mars, killing Vampires, working with tigers, Alexis Castle’s graduation, Castle and Beckett’s wedding vows…) I liked Alexis' graduation speech and their vows were the best thing about that cheesy and cheap wedding. Disliked Cuffed and the getting trapped with a tiger was a total waste of an opportunity to showcase their relationship. No idea what was so wonderful about the Mars episode but Vampire Weekend was great. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Shawn Adams ‏@shawn310  3 hrs3 hours ago

This just in: Looks like I'll be cutting #Castle promos again this fall!

That feels such a long way away right now...sigh