Type keyword(s) to search

House Of Lies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Usually he's the punching bag, yes. But didn't Clyde offer to let him help out on the app in the end, or did he pull the rug out and I missed it?

The last scene with Marty and Monica was horrendously awesome. Props to Dawn Olivieri. 

He said that he would discuss it with Kelsey (he didn't want to, but he would).  So, yeah.  

Re: last scene:  I'm really not a prude (honest!), and I "get" hate-fucking, but I didn't care for it. Clearly Monica was into it but visions of rape were dancing through my head nonetheless.  But as I've mentioned in another thread, I'm not a big fan of seeing Marty bang anyway so no doubt that had something to do with it for me.

Nice to see Alicia Witt as Ellis's partner.  I've liked her since she played Christophuh Molitsanti's cousin on The Sopranos.

No Roscoe this week.  So, to paraphrase the immortal words of Carl Spackler, this ep had that going for it, which was nice.

While I felt Roscoe was out of line Wi his grandfather, everything he said was dead on.

IMO the Roscoe moment was the best thing that could have happened to Pops because it totally deflected from what he did wrong. First, he shared information that was shared with him in confidence. Second, he shared the information with someone Marty has had a tense relationship at best with. Third, the person he shared the information with is so the type to throw said information in a person's face. Fourth said person was coming to dinner, a fact which set the stage for exactly what happened. From where I stand, this was the father's passive-aggressive way of outing Marty's secret while playing innocent.

• Love 1

Re: last scene:  I'm really not a prude (honest!), and I "get" hate-fucking, but I didn't care for it. Clearly Monica was into it but visions of rape were dancing through my head nonetheless.  But as I've mentioned in another thread, I'm not a big fan of seeing Marty bang anyway so no doubt that had something to do with it for me.

Nice to see Alicia Witt as Ellis's partner.  I've liked her since she played Christophuh Molitsanti's cousin on The Sopranos.

No Roscoe this week.  So, to paraphrase the immortal words of Carl Spackler, this ep had that going for it, which was nice.

It seems to me that mutual angry, hate sex is an unwritten term of Marty and Monica's divorce settlement, maybe in lieu of spousal support or other financial/property terms. If tptb hadn't introduced the drunken sex with Jeanne and pregnancy, I cold have seen a storyline wherein Marty and Monica team up as a power couple and take over and merge Galweather Stern and Demarque(sp?) all while alternately fucking and fighting in the office and at home.

I didn't recognize Alicia Witt physically at first but thought it was some other actress doing a pitch-perfect impersonation; her voice is unmistakable. I've been a fan of hers since Cybill in the mid 90s.

Cannot agree more about Roscoe, although I do miss Grandpa/Marty's dad (and his nubile fuckbuddy).

• Love 1

It's sad, because there was a time when I classified kid-Roscoe as one of the few kids on television who didn't annoy me.

I suppose if they write a teen who isn't obnoxious they get called out for realism.

They seem to appreciate his ability with numbers, but not him himself.

Yeah, they don't really undermine him when he's doing his actual job. It's everything else. 

I didn't have a problem with the sex because in like the first episode, this was established as something they do and Marty even explained it to the camera. It got weird when she Jeannied it up. The last laugh at the end was *awful*. 

I'm glad that the headhunter actually called out Jeannie being pregnant to be OOC for her. I don't like real life pregnancies written into show. 

• Love 2

Am I going crazy, or did anyone else got a little worried about the fate of Jeannie's baby in this episode?

She avoids collision with the a kid in a bicycle, in her office, twice.

The first one appeared just weird to me, just like a weird and not funny way of showing us the inconvenience of people riding bicycles inside an office.

So by the second time I was sure it was a sign she would loose her kid. 

Plus, that shot of her alone walking to the medical building, I was sure a car would hit her.

And in her medical appointment she kept babbling while the doctor appeared to be seriously watching the ultrasound, so that made me think something was wrong. But since the doctor said nothing... 

Anyway, what Kaan & Associates were doing while trying to raise the stock values, was that flat out illegal or mainly just unethical?

Nice talk Marty had with Roscoe at the end. 

About the promo for episode 7, 

can't wait to see Jeannie slap Monica. Plus, I am curious to know what made her change her mind about leaving.

Edited by nameless slob
  • Love 1

YES! They foreshadowed something bad pretty heavily with the near collisions and then framing her from across a busy street. I literally screeched THEY'RE GOING TO KILL JEANNIE RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM to my significant other and then worried whether Kristen Bell was off the show.

Once I'd calmed down, the significant other theorized that they might put her in the hospital or in a coma for the rest of KB's maternity leave. He's an X-Files fan. But I'm a bit calmer now. That was harrowing and I'm sure it was intentional, but why?

Edit: I went to look and there are still five episodes left in the season. It could be setting up something to explain a KB absence later, she looks ready to pop.

I wish this show had more fans.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

That was kind of a mean joke to play on Doug, more than usual. I did like the line "yeah, a rich guy in the bay area interested in investing in tech; mind blown." 

I like watching the show, but I'm not as engaged because the team is rather fractured. They should be soaking Ellis for everything he's worth. It's in character to manipulate Maya, but she was fine on her own with her small company. I don't see why she even bothers and just walks. 

The interaction with Jeannie and Ellis about hitting him was funny though. 

• Love 1

One thing I noticed about Roscoe this season is that he is dressing less androgynously and he is wearing less makeup. I don't know if they are going somewhere with this or if it's just his latest phase in his appearance. I know that as a teenager I definitely went through wardrobe overhauls where I changed my look so I am trying to figure out if that's what is going on with Roscoe or if it's something else. Like is he emulating his uncle now that he lives with him? Or is it part of his salesman package for his side business? I like Roscoe and I totally get him wanting to strike out on his own, but I'm not really interested in actually watching him sell purses.

As someone who is allergic to cats, I really felt for Clyde. Sorry, if you have a cat with you, you are not going to get in my car or stay at my house. You are also not allowed to smoke in my car or my house.

Doug went to Harvard, but he is saying things like "should have saw that coming"? Come on, writers. I guess congrats to him for getting laid.

This episode was totally worth watching just to see Jeannie sock Monica. While Monica can be amusing, she is such a smug crazy bitch that it's nice to see her taken by surprise. I don't think I've seen that happen since that other girl stabbed her a few seasons ago.

Not surprising that Marty is proud of Roscoe for showing some hustle. Now we will see if Roscie obeys and stops selling those knockoff bags. Interesting that Marty chose not to tell Roscoe that it was his uncle who was snooping in Roscoe's stuff.

• Love 1

Anyway, what Kaan & Associates were doing while trying to raise the stock values, was that flat out illegal or mainly just unethical?

Flat-out illegal. Insider trading and stock price manipulation, even if they don't themselves trade in the stock. Would be difficult to pin it on them however.

Flat-out illegal. Insider trading and stock price manipulation, even if they don't themselves trade in the stock. Would be difficult to pin it on them however.

I agree it's stock price manipulation,  But basically they tempted others into insider trading by dangling information they should not know or act on if they do know to tempt to act.  This was very Marty Kaan in action.  Loved it!

I also loved the way Marty confronted Roscoe.  Let's play a game.  Scrabble?  Risk?  And how long it took the kids to figure it out.  

At this point I'm starting to think the show would be better off if 3 of the 4 members of Marty's pod were kicked to the curb.

Clyde seems to be little more than a cartoon character at this point - if cartoon characters were fueled by cocaine. His only role seems to be to bully Doug, who the writers also don't seem to have much more ideas for. Apparently his ex-wife will get away with cleaning out his life savings and ruining his life, and we're supposed to just shrug and say, "sucks to be him".

And Jeannie's character is also showing very little in terms of depth and growth - she just comes across as tense and bitter and unlikeable. Maybe the writers do a better job adding "more than just a villain" nuance to Marty's character, or maybe Don Cheadle is just a superior actor, but there's just a lot more to be interested in with Marty than with Jeannie.

If Season 5 were about Marty, a new "pod", his dad, Roscoe, and of course Monica (maybe she can save this season), I'd be behind that.

None of the characters show depth or growth. I think the whole point of the show is that they are all incapable of it. I would love to see Jeannie quietly walk away, taking her clients and anything else she ever had that Marty thought he wanted or would eventually want.

It'd be cool if she, Maya, and Kelsey got together and started a company.

Jeannie right now IS tense and bitter, and she has every reason to be, so I don't really hold that against her.

None of the characters show depth or growth. I think the whole point of the show is that they are all incapable of it.

That's what I get out of the show too.

I liked this one because I liked seeing the team operate to get the stock up over 200. But I like shows with team-themes. 

The development for Roscoe isn't as focused as it should be. Marty has shown to be at least trying to be a good parent since the show started. I think they show veered too off with Roscoe being a flat out criminal this season. Skipping school is reasonable, and I think they could have gotten to this point in this episode without him going so extreme. What is he smoking? Is it just weed? Because it looked like way worse. 

It's believable that Roscoe would be acting out. I liked the scene in this episode. Marty wasn't trying to justify himself. He's been absent; he knows it. I think the brother is really what's bad for the family dynamic. Marty is pretty clear he doesn't want him there, and I really like that the scales have fell from Roscoe's eyes. The guy is a dbag and needs to go. 

Nice episode now that the firm is officially back on top, it's time for the ball to start rolling down hill. I love the way the episode  was punctuated with the Jeanie punch and Marty finally accepting her back into the gang. I have a feeling that this client is not somebody that they want to mess with, that dude's crazy.

Was it that bad or were we supposed to infer that the girl was the alpha in that relationship ?

No, she's alpha. She's in a different generation than Doug, where sex means something different. Doug was also married and ready to have kids until recently too, so it's fair he'd want to talk about it. I think she showed interest in Doug, or was at least nice to him, before Clyde hit on him. I actually thought it was cute when she said, "I already like you, you don't have to try so hard." Doug doesn't pick up on those cues. And who doesn't respond to asslicking? 

Monica. Wow. I was saying, 'why would she care whether Marty gets paid or not?' But that's totally Monica to take revenge on him for not allowing her to take Roscoe to fashion week. 

I'm glad they addressed that even though there was a contract, Khan&Assoc. can't afford to ride it out in court. So I hope that the team cooks up a plot. 

I get why Marty wants Jeannie to leave, but she's good at what she does, and she's a partner. It's not like he doesn't like people who don't make money. Why not split the company into two divisions?

I liked that Marty didn't yell at Roscoe, and I liked that Roscoe told the truth right away. I don't think he's going to stop though. Because he's making bank. I guess their going with a criminal parallel, but I don't know if that's so necessary. 

• Love 1

Khan and Associates couldn't get paid for their work, and so they took back their work.

Marty and Monica deserve each other. Jeannie should take herself as far away as possible. I get not wanting to lose all that work, but she's not going to get it back anyway. She should not have even kept the baby, but now that she's got it, she should have it raised by expert nannies far, far away from Marty, and never tell him anything about it, like, where it lives, what its name is, etc.....He's shown no interest and she should take a hint.

Marty and Jeannie entice Denna with a retaliatory business move against Ellis. Meanwhile, things get complicated between Doug and Kelsey; and Clyde spends time with his father and is disturbed to see how similar they may be.

Promo:

Clips:

It's gonna be a lot of fun watching Marty and his once again partner try to sink Ellis' company's stock into the toilet. Whatever Marty is, Ellis is an ego-maniacal sleaze bag and I can't wait to watch him making the panicked, whiny calls to Kahn and Associates.  Maybe he'll punch Monica in the nose also since she seems to be behind the "don't pay Marty what you agreed to" move. Might be nice to see the beyotch get smacked twice.

Marty: Okay, true or false - everyone in this room thinks they're smarter than everybody else in the building.

Jeannie, Clyde, and Doug: True.

Marty: True or false - everyone in the building thinks they're smarter than everybody else in the world.

Clyde: That's obvious.

Jeannie: That's probably true, yeah.

Marty: To be honest, I don't know which one is sadder - Doug watching QVC in that gutted shack he calls a home or him thinking that this is actually a viable option. Kids?

Jeannie and Clyde: It's QVC.

Doug: You can find a bargain on QVC.

Kelsey: Full disclosure - he's only doing it so I won't out him for molesting my brothers.

Clyde: Wow, okay, just so I can get this straight. You will extort a pedophile but you won't get dinner with me because that goes against your moral code.

Kelsey: Yeah.

Clyde: That's your judging system. Okay.

Doug: I kind of feel guilty about last night.

Kelsey: Is it because you have HPV? Seriously, why does everybody have fucking HPV?

Doug: Clyde really likes you and Clyde doesn't really like anyone.

Kelsey: So that means, what, I'm obliged to accept his offer of penis?

Doug: No, I'm just saying that I know Clyde comes off like a bit of a douche and he is, believe me. No one knows that more than me.

Kelsey: I have mad respect for a guy who would give up top shelf genius vag for friendship. Good luck finding another Rhodes scholar who gives rim jobs though.

Clyde's dad: The world is yours for the taking. You don't like your job, you start your own corporation.

Clyde: Ahh, right, yeah. In your six year old son's name so his credit is ruined by second grade, right?

Clyde's dad: Yeah.

Clyde: Hey, dad, what the fuck are you doing here?

Clyde's dad: I just thought I would see you in action, that's all.

Clyde: So you could tell me everything that I'm doing wrong?

Clyde's dad: Your words.

Clyde: Okay, dad, you gotta get out of here. I'll see you at dinner tonight. What?

Clyde's dad: The hysterics. Shades of your mother. Even less attractive on you.

Kelsey: Just because you want back in doesn't mean I'm going to stop sleeping with Clyde. But we could all do it together if that makes you two more comfortable. I'm flexible.

Doug: I don't know if that's gonna work for me. It's not a hard no.

Jeannie: Is that smoldering Clyde jizz?

Ellis: The same mega c*** trashing my company all over cable news just happens to dump a load of cash into Kaan & Associates and you're going to tell me it's a coincidence?

Marty: No, I am going to tell you that there's not proof that it's not a coincidence.

Marty: Oh no! We are out of kombucha tea.

Clyde: Are we?

Marty: Did you get any?

Jeannie: None.

Clyde: I didn't.

Marty: Bristol Farms run!

Denna: For an unrelentingly self-involved bastard, you are notably generous in the cunninglingus department.

Marty: Thank you?

My favorite thing about this show is that while this is basically a show about assholes, the women on this show are diabolical in way they men can't even dream of.

• Love 3
Part of me is really enjoying Kelsey not letting Doug or Clyde dictate what will happen between them. The other part of me thinks she shouldn't be sleeping with either of them because she can do a lot better.

I completely agree. For example, me. I'm much better. I'm not a huge fan of the chest tattoo, but the coding skills, short hair, and glasses outweigh that. I did like the "Clyde can join if it makes you feel more comfortable."

Doug is the guy that's always picking at his scab. He knows Clyde well enough that Clyde will move on to someone new. You just got out of an oppressive marriage and were basically ruined. You can have some nsa fun. 

Whatever Marty is, Ellis is an ego-maniacal sleaze bag and I can't wait to watch him making the panicked, whiny calls to Kahn and Associates.

I really liked when he was trashing the place that the four of them just ignored him and left. You have to be a special kind of idiot if you think that you can get away with shorting someone 9 million bucks. I know his plan was that he could outlast them in a lawsuit, but Ellis has Monica advising him, and she should know Marty well enough. *And* she was present during the peeing on the car. 

Marty gets into a conflict with Denna when he pitches the CEO of a fast-food chain; Roscoe's business is exposed, which hurts his status and future at school; Doug and Clyde have different reactions to dating the same woman.

Promo:

Clips:

Marty: What's the occasion?
Roscoe: Just family dinner. I think Uncle Malcolm's coming too.
Marty: Broke ass TavisSmiley.

Marty: I would have overslept too if I had some comfy snuggly man-jamas like those.
Jeannie: Is this like a plushy thing where you and other Cookie Monster fans throw your keys in a bowl?
Doug: It's not entirely sexual.

Clyde: How much fucking longer do you think they're going to take snooping around our shit?
Doug: Is this what it's like when we come in?

Marty: You don't get to walk away every time you feel something, Jeannie.
Jeannie: Wow, did that just come out of Marty Kaan's mouth? You just said that to me?
Marty: I heard myself say it.
Jeannie: You heard it, right?
Marty: It was weird.

My only question is, Who is more despicable, Jeannie or Monica?

Definitely Monica. What's bothered me about her character since the beginning of the show is that I cannot buy her as a successful consultant. She comes across as 100% bat-shit crazy, even when dealing with clients. She's openly seductive (in a creepy way), she has that off-kilter, maniacal laugh, and I've never seen her talk to her clients coherently about their businesses.  And I know Kaan and Associates are crazy, too, but I also see them interact with clients in a convincing, intelligent way--throwing out numbers, projections, and options for the company (even if it's all bs).

Ha, I loved that Doug realized the other guy being in their office is what it feels like when they go into other people's companies.

I also love that Roscoe loves Jeannie so much.

I know that Clyde can be annoying but man did I feel for him having to put up with his dad.

Gawd, watching Doug and Clyde mark her as their territory is painful. They're a step away from peeing on her leg. Interesting that she finally made a choice. I wonder if it was just because Clyde forced the issue (meaning if Doug had done the same thing, would she have agreed to date him exclusively or would she still have chosen Clyde?).