Type keyword(s) to search

House Of Lies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Between you and I? With Jeannie's education she has to know that it's "between you and me". Three times in a row. It's not the first time it's happened either.

I noticed she said that a lot last season too and it drove me CRAZY. But if there's one thing I have learned, degrees do not mean shit when it comes to grammar. I know people with PhDs, MBAs, and MDs who use the wrong pronouns. It makes me wish that every degree program (including undergrad) had a required grammar course or exam that you had to pass in order to get your degree.

• Love 1

Marty cunningly proves his business savvy when he meets electric car mogul, Ellis Hightower. In desperate pursuit of a new client, Jeannie orchestrates a chance encounter that appears to go terribly awry. Marty accuses Jeannie of being a dishonest person, prompting her to reveal a difficult truth.

Between you and I? With Jeannie's education she has to know that it's "between you and me". Three times in a row. It's not the first time it's happened either.

I try to be meticulous about language (after all, as I like to say, words have meaning), and this makes me mental.  So does the constant misuse of "literally", which seems to be the go-to when someone really means "figuratively", and (sadly, especially these days), "racist", when someone really means "bigoted" or "prejudiced".  "Amazing" is another pet peeve of mine, although it's more because it's overused than misused.  Annyywayyy...

Marty's kid really bugged last night.  I loathe when shows depict kids being disrespectful to their parents and the parents explain themselves/apologize in response. I understand, the kid's acting out, but letting him walk out the door while throwing a smart-assed comment over his shoulder wasn't the way to handle him.  If he isn't reigned in, i.e., disciplined, tout de suite Marty's going to have bigger problems than what's going with Kahn & Associates.

Speaking of which, I like it much better when the plot focuses on business.  I can handle Marty's ex-wife and even the toxic relationship that he and Jeannie have, but I really don't need to see him schtupping.  I am looking forward to seeing more of his jail time - nothing against him, but I think it'll be interesting to see him in that circumstance.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2

Marty's kid really bugged last night. I loathe when shows depict kids being disrespectful to their parents and the parents explain themselves/apologize in response. I understand, the kid's acting out, but letting him walk out the door while throwing a smart-assed comment over his shoulder wasn't the way to handle him. If he isn't reigned in, i.e., disciplined, tout de suite Marty's going to have bigger problems than what's going with Kahn & Associates.

ITA - that kid needs some boundaries ASAP. You don't get to mouth off like that and then waltz out the door. And to make it worse, he is selling knock off purses? As if Marty doesn't provide him with all the designer clothes that his little heart desires. I knew a guy like that in college. His family was loaded and gave him a huge monthly allowance yet he still did stupid shit like shoplift from Target constantly (meanwhile I also knew people who chose to shoplift because they were broke so at least their stealing was out of need).

Marty's kid really bugged last night.  I loathe when shows depict kids being disrespectful to their parents and the parents explain themselves/apologize in response. I understand, the kid's acting out, but letting him walk out the door while throwing a smart-assed comment over his shoulder wasn't the way to handle him.  If he isn't reigned in, i.e., disciplined, tout de suite Marty's going to have bigger problems than what's going with Kahn & Associates.

Maybe I misread it, but I got the impression that Marty went to jail, even though he didn't have to as part of a deal so that he could go back to working for Kahn and Associates once he got out. Because from what I remember from last season was that he basically had to leave the company. So while his kid is still out of line, I can see from his eyes, is that his dad bailed on him for however many months, and chose to go to jail just so he could get his business back. In a kids eyes, that would be putting his job at a way higher priority than his kid.

• Love 1

That makes sense. I think, however, that jail time was going to happen regardless. 

I thought the season would have been with Marty in jail for part of the show. I think showing through flashbacks is a better idea because the show works best with the main 4 together. Which, stop being a pussy, Marty. You're not going to find anyone better than Jeannie at her job. Asking her to leave is stupid. And we all know you're not going to let her go. Get over it. 

I'm really against shows writing in real-life pregnancies. I mean, I can suspend my disbelief that there's aliens, demons, magic, etc., I can pretend the pregnant lady isn't actually pregnant. I find Jeannie getting pregnant to be kind of OOC but not enough that it ruins the show for me. 

It seems like even though the combination of the pill and condoms prevents pregnancy irl by like 99.99999999%, on tv it's 5%.

I'm disappointed in Roscoe. I think TPTBs went too over the top. I get the acting out, but come on. The worst thing he did was get drunk and break a lamp. Now he's a legit criminal? He wasn't a bad kid. I think Marty is a pretty good parent too. I'm wondering if we'll see a scene of them right before Marty goes to jail.

• Love 1

I agree w/r/t the pregnancy, Ganesh, especially since they are doing editing, blocking and body-double tricks to show non-pregnant Jeannie in the flashback scenes *anyway*.

From a devil's advocate standpoint, it gives us some comedy gold in episode 2 which I won't spoil.

I can buy that some characters on tv might get pregnant, but I find this plot with Jeannie to be kind of implausible. She fucks one guy and gets pregnant? She's banged a whole bunch of guys on the show and hasn't. It's like, come on. 

• Love 1

FYI - this episode is available On Demand a week before it airs on Showtime.

Marty and Jeannie pitch opposing strategies to a Seattle-based skin care company. Doug, fed up with Sarah’s antics, passive-aggressively puts his foot down. Clyde begins discussing a business idea with an unlikely partner.

Promo:

Clips:

Jeannie: I am not giving you my baby!

Sarah: You are so fucking selfish!

Jeannie's business school classmate: I'd still be willing to have sex with you.

Jeannie: I'll be sure to pass that on to your wife.

Monica: William, what did I tell you about fraternizing with the enemy? I'm just kidding! As if a rapidly shrinking speck in the consulting universe like Kahn and Associates could ever be considered an enemy.

Doug: Well, even a single cell parasite can take down a lion.

Clyde: Strong rebuttal.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The baby reveal was too obvious. However, Jeanie doesn't seem to get that when people see you got who and what you truly are, they can't unsee it. Telling Marty he is having a kid with you will not make him forget what you did to him. Hell he was married to Monica when they had Roscoe and look at the state of that train-wreck of a relationship. I for one hope the show does not go to that well again. Jeanie is a cancer to a perdon like Marty, who struggles with his own moral demons.

I think Doug is going to morph into a serial killer at the rate he's going. His creepy just keeps increasing exponentially.

Edited by Happytobehere

That makes sense. I think, however, that jail time was going to happen regardless. 

Would he though? I mean they didn't arrest him when they raided his company last season, they just told him that he had to hand off control.  This season we come back and he is back in control. I sort of read that is that he voluntarily took the jail time (instead of a court fight or a different punishment), in exchange for getting his company  back. 

I don't understand why Doug is still with Sarah since he obviously doesn't like her very much and she is driving him crazy now that she isn't working. Why would he want to have a child with her? That seems like one of the worst things they could do.

ITA that the baby reveal was not a surprise. But how did Monica know? Ha, I mean besides the obvious, which is that Monica is MAGIC!

• Love 3

I thought they did arrest him.

Did they, I thought the end of last season was the FBI raiding, then Marty resigning, and driving off into the desert. All I remember was that he had to quit in order for Kahn and Associates to not be shut down.

I think he signed over control of the company so that it could continue to operate while he was under indictment. One didn't cancel out the other. Then he took the plea so he could avoid a lengthy process and potentially a lot more jail time. That was my takeaway.

Roscoe is living what he's learned, imo. The adults around him can look in the mirror if they want to know why he's acting out and selling knock off purses for drugs.

Not a fan of the pregnancy storyline. Actually, this entire ep was pretty underwhelming.

I don't know Roscoe's sudden crime turn seemed a little much to me. The talking back to Marty, calling him Marty, etc., I can buy. I'm assuming there's more were going to find out. 

I actually don't think Marty's that bad of a parent, and the grandfather is a pretty good influence too. This seemed a little jarring to me. 

• Love 1

I think Jeanie's deeper issue goes back to season one: she knows who Marty is and accepts it, but it seems as if Marty can't accept that about other people, especially her. Marty doesn't have many friends, but she is one of them and that because she actually likes him and not just romantically. Jeanie fucked up majorly, but I don't think they are necessarily toxic to one another. I think they are toxic when Marty doesn't want to listen to her and just shoots down her ideas/opinions. She is toxic when she just does it anyway to prove she is right. But, overall, when they actually talk and work together, they're great together. 

I'm not justifying Jeanie's actions, but just looking at it from a friendship/business relationship standpoint, if Marty learned to listen and Jeanie wasn't so reactive, they could flourish together. I think labeling her as a cancer is a bit much.

• Love 1

One part of me has always understood Roscoe's frustration with his dad and the other part has thought that the way he expresses it has been very bratty. It's clear that he prefers his father over his mother. I know Marty isn't there all of the time, but they seem to have a pretty great relationship. Roscoe's biggest issue seems to be that he doesn't get enough time with his father. Despite some shitty parenting moments, imo, Marty is a pretty good dad. So maybe this is the bratty teenage phase that I skipped at that age.

I liked the table's reaction when Malcom blurted out Marty knocked up Jeanie. 

• Love 1
When the Gage presentation falls apart, Marty comes up with a last-ditch plan that includes orchestrating a move that a volatile Ellis doesn't want. Jeannie has a less-than-encouraging meeting with a headhunter regarding her prospects in the job market. Doug petitions to join Clyde and Kelsey’s new business venture.

Promo:

Clips:

I did not initially recognize Mary McCormick in Marty's bed. I was confused at first thinking that she had been the FBI woman leading the raid on K&A but in fact she had been the FBI/NSA woman leading the team raiding Atlantis News on The Newsroom. I'm now trying to figure out exactly where she and Kristin Bell in their pregnancies during shooting. This could be an interesting arc presumably with Marty trying to roll up a string of boutique consulting firms to be swallowed by MMcC's company.

Best line in the night (IMO): Doug: Am I really intolerable? [in unison] Marty, Clyde, Jeanne: YES!

He is a complete schmuck and brought all this upon himself by marrying that shrew but I'm not sure he really deserves what she's presumably going to put him through. If she just runs around naked-stalking him and they eventually get back together, that might be alright in a no-harm/no-foul sense, although there IS the money.

I REEEEEALLY hated what Jeanne pulled with the Kroll's husband and wife (I assume).

Renard, I've seen the ep but unfortunately I've also seen Newsroom s3 and now you've juxtaposed those memories in my head hopelessly too. Apparently I will need to rematch this ep because if asked I would swear Mary McCormick's character was indeed a govt agent.

I'm way late in commenting on this episode, but I was hoping for this not to happen...

...he was married to Monica when they had Roscoe and look at the state of that train-wreck of a relationship. I for one hope the show does not go to that well again.

or this...

I don't understand why Doug is still with Sarah since he obviously doesn't like her very much and she is driving him crazy now that she isn't working. Why would he want to have a child with her? That seems like one of the worst things they could do.

I'm not crazy about baby story lines in general, but these two...I just can't wrap my head around how it will be beneficial to the show for these two pairs to be having/raising kids together.  Unless of course Marty comes around and somehow forgives Jeanie.  Don't want to see Doug and Sarah together, let alone with a child!

I love how Jeannie was called on her BS at least twice in the last couple of episodes.  In the past she seemed to be able to get by with her lies without much problem.  But twice now, she's been caught in blatant lies. Being caught by Monica in particular in front of Marty was a real burn!!

Edited by damalanop
I'm not crazy about baby story lines in general, but these two...I just can't wrap my head around how it will be beneficial to the show for these two pairs to be having/raising kids together.

I'm doubtful that Doug will be having kids. He actually said he thought about if his wife was dead! 

I like the show and I'm going to keep watching, but I think this is an example where a real life pregnancy doesn't need to be written into a show. I just don't buy Jeannie getting pregnant. And I don't see that it's Marty's ups the stakes in any way.

I thought the whole scorpion fable was hypocritical. It was Marty's idea last season to pit grocery store guys against one another, which he and Jeannie both acknowledged was illegal. I'm assuming the point was that they both are scorpions. 

I liked the flashbacks in this episode and that this was a long con. I'm always in for a long con. I am interested in how this plays out. 

Best moment ever was gramps laying down the law with Roscoe.

And Roscoe sat down. 

It's clear that he prefers his father over his mother. I know Marty isn't there all of the time, but they seem to have a pretty great relationship. Roscoe's biggest issue seems to be that he doesn't get enough time with his father. Despite some shitty parenting moments, imo, Marty is a pretty good dad.

I've been saying Marty has been a good parent since the first season.

I actually don't have a problem with Roscoe's outburst in this episode. I thought his scenes in the first episode were way more OOC. I actually thought it was good that he called out the uncle as being shitty. If you don't know it's past time to be using the 'lil man' for your nephew, then, yeah, you're a bad uncle. Roscoe was right. When would Marty have thought the right time to say anything about the new baby? He wasn't even complaining about Jeannie being pregnant. I thought the whole dinner scene was really well done. The brother was always a shit, but now that Roscoe called him out on it, it's kind of real now. 

If that was actually Jenny Slate at the end, then she has a really nice behind.

I'm not really into Doug's plot because I don't like that male submissive = door mat. She clearly doesn't respect Doug as a partner. Not that I'm against nudity, but I don't understand what nude stalking is. Like, why? The whole plot is really too much even for this show. Who asks if it's ok that they dreamed their partner was dead?

It's disingenuous. Doug can be the bottom of the group, but if he really didn't know what he was doing, they'd bounce him out on his ass. It's not like the others are doing Doug's work for him to prop him up or anything. I think they overuse him as a punchline too much and it's not working. 

Though I get if you send your wife a reprehensible text and she rips open your action figures. That's on you. It just seems too abusive overall, and it's not that entertaining of a plot. 

Marty: Every time I turn around, there you are. I mean, I'm flattered.

Monica: That's funny because I feel like my teachers told me the world revolves around the sun. Public schools. I'm actually here representing my firm's interests. Oh, you forgot? Chairman of the board is a client.

Marty: What? Sinatra? What a big get for DeMarque.

Monica: So this car of yours, does it have a back seat?

Ellis: It's really intended as a two person vehicle. The rear compartment's pretty tight.

Monica: Well, the best rear compartments usually are. Doesn't mean you can't squeeze in.

Marty: Monica, what are you doing?

Monica: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going to fuck Ellis. I know he's your special friend from prison.

Erin: When you're in that sweet spot where you've taken off the baby weight but your tits are still huge, call me.

One thing I wonder about - are Marty, Jeannie, and Clyde supposed to be Doug's friends? Or is he someone they don't like and wish would quit?

Because usually when two characters have a tough-love type friendship, you'll see lots of scenes where they abuse each other, but at least one or two here or there that remind you that they're still looking out for each other. We see the former here, but not the latter. It's almost like if Sarah showed up and stabbed Doug right there on the street, the other three would point, laugh, and step over his corpse.

• Love 2

Usually he's the punching bag, yes. But didn't Clyde offer to let him help out on the app in the end, or did he pull the rug out and I missed it?

The last scene with Marty and Monica was horrendously awesome. Props to Dawn Olivieri. 

• Love 1