Type keyword(s) to search

Our Own Dundies: The Office Bests and Worsts

...More random opinions inspired by how much I'm missing this show:

I know most say S2 is the best season, and objectively I'm pretty sure I agree, but it's actually the least rewatchable for me of the series' first four seasons. I can't quite figure out why! It does still have a few episodes that I absolutely love, though. 

In keeping with my general 'S4 is sadly underrated!' theme, I have to say that I think Dinner Party is one of the most brilliant episodes of the entire series. Sadly, I once attended a dinner party that bears a frightening resemblance to that one :) 

And maybe it's because I love S4 so very much that S5 always inevitably feels like a letdown, but I really don't like that season at all. I actually like S7 a lot more than S5. 

So I'm thinking maybe my current order of personal preference is:

S1

S4

S3

S2

(Big Gap!) 

S7

S5

S6 

S8

S9 

How about you guys?! 

• Love 1

Two of my favorites off the top of my head are Dinner Party and Goodbye Toby (if that's the name of the episode). Michael had some hilarious lines in the Toby episode directed at and about Toby! Season 9 was tough for me to get through, but I did love the finale for so many reasons. I'm probably one of the few that wasn't on Jim's side. I think what bugged me the most was the episode where he and Darryl are acting like college roommates playing video games right after work (it was still sunny outside the window) and all I could think about was Pam probably having just left a full day of work and having to go home and take care of the kids alone (which is still work) and probably not being able to sit down until later that night. So because of that, I kept seeing Jim as being selfish rather than Pam. I still love the entire series, though, and am a fan for life!

"Goodbye Toby" was the episode that hooked my son and I for good. We walked around the house for weeks, spontaneously singing Goodbye Toby.

...More random opinions inspired by how much I'm missing this show:

I know most say S2 is the best season, and objectively I'm pretty sure I agree, but it's actually the least rewatchable for me of the series' first four seasons. I can't quite figure out why! It does still have a few episodes that I absolutely love, though. 

In keeping with my general 'S4 is sadly underrated!' theme, I have to say that I think Dinner Party is one of the most brilliant episodes of the entire series. Sadly, I once attended a dinner party that bears a frightening resemblance to that one :) 

S1

S4

S3

S2

(Big Gap!) 

S7

S5

S6 

S8

S9 

How about you guys?! 

For me, S2 is the least rewatchable because I've seen it so many times.

S2

S3

S1

S4

S5

S6

S7

S9

S8

• Love 1
On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM, amensisterfriend said:

I'd love to, Too Late Kev, but I'm currently suffering from an acute case of Government-Created Killer Nano Robot Infection...I'm sure you can relate. 

False!  The correct answer is, "Absolutely, I would!" :)

• Love 5

I'm an Andy Bernard fangirl so Season 3 is my personal favourite, but I've watched THAT season too many times so it's not as rewatchable.

Most to least rewatchable

5 - I love the Charles Minor stuff
7 - I love the Timothy Olyphant and Will Ferrell stuff
3 - One of the most brilliant seasons of television I've ever seen.  I am actually now in the real life position of being absorbed by another company. It's no fun at all!
1, 8, 9 - Because I know them the least, and Andy has a big part later on, so they are quite interesting for me.  Diversity Day is awesome.
4 and 6 - I like the Dinner Party, and a few other episodes, but meh overall.  There are some really bad episodes in this group.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I jumped in on the Office from day 1 while in college and watched it religiously right up through the first part of Season 6 (basically to the wedding episode). Then I moved to another country, and didn't have a DVR or many channels and so it slipped by the wayside for me. I caught a few episodes from all the other seasons on flights or through other miscellaneous encounters.

Over the holidays I decided to binge seasons 6-9 and catch myself up. While obviously not to the same quality as Seasons 2-5 (1 was hit and miss, but I give it a pass due to the Basketball Episode being so great and the show trying to find its audience) I still really enjoyed them, and didn't find them as bad as much of the reviews of those seasons indicate. I'm willing to bet that's because of the distance I put between the first half of the show's run, and the second half. Had I watched them concurrently the slipping quality would have been much more apparent.

I did appreciate how the characters remained true to themselves, and by and large didn't become caricatures of their early selves (outside of maybe Stanley and Meredith). 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm currently bingeing the show with my husband (he's never seen the series) and it's bringing back a lot of memories. I think I watched the show until Michael left and by then I felt like it had lost a lot of steam and I didn't care about who the new boss would be. Also, as much as I loved Michael, sometimes I really couldn't believe he could be THAT dumb and also not get fired for some of the things he said.

Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite by far. When I watched the show as it aired I really connected with Jim and Pam. I was in a Pam/Roy type relationship (although not engaged) and I secretly wished for a Jim to come rescue me. Even now, watching the season 2 finale when they kiss in the darkened office, I tear up.

Edited by rubinia
  • Love 4

There's just something about Jim and Pam that's a perennial "best" for me. I've read critiques about how they became dull and smug, how neither had enough real interests, goals or friends outside of each other, how they were too codependent, how they and Jim in particular are actually jerks who get off on feeling superior to the rest of the office and how the pranks and mocking cross the line from playfulness into sincere meanness. And all of that is probably true! I just know that when I watch the first half of the series, they still get to me like no other TV couple. It's not just that I love them, it's how I can almost feel their love for each other. Like someone else said, they melt my cynical heart and have me believing in soulmates and wanting to pen uncharacteristically sappy fanfics. ;-) Somehow the fact that they don't have fulfilling careers or a whole lot going on other than each other makes them more poignant to me. Certainly less healthy and ideal like Leslie and Ben on Parks, who have nearly perfect lives both personally and professionally, but the pathos of Jim and Pam's lives is part of why I connect with them and the show. They don't have much else other than their connection with each other (and kids, once they have them), and usually, though not always, that's enough for them - or at least they've convinced themselves and each other it is.  Parks and Leslie/Ben are terrific and relationship 'goals', but Parks also had a sort of everybody always wins in every area of their lives! thing going that makes it one of the sweetest and most affirming shows ever but not as personally relatable, thought provoking or touching to me as The Office as a show and Jim/Pam as a couple. 

I apologize for the rambling, but I'm re-watching S1-S5 yet again and am bursting with all these strong feelings that my less TV-obsessed friends are unlikely to understand as well as you guys :) 

Season order: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3, 7, 6, 9, 8  

3 is truly excellent television, and I love it more than the above list will make it seem, but I just feel more attached to the other seasons, and the episodes where Jim is in Scranton give the season a disjointed feel to me. 

Favoite romantic relationship other than Jim and Pam: Michael/Holly. I really love them and how Michael's love for Holly inspired and demonstrated his growth as a person. Ryan and Kelly really entertain me even though I know they're a mess! Dwight/Angela have some hilarious and interesting scenes, but I don't love them as much as many others do. 

Favorite episodes: I really did try to answer this one, but I can't narrow it down to fewer than about 40! Nearly all of my favorites come from the first five seasons, especially 2 and 4, along with a couple that I really love from 7 and the series finale. 

Pam is a best for me too. Like others have said, she's not plucky, spunky and vibrant in the way we're used to seeing from a lot of main characters. She's passive and sometimes passive-aggressive too, and I can see why she would frustrate some viewers. Her strengths and weaknesses just happen to be ones that I connect and relate to so much. I feel like Jenna Fischer played her as having very intense emotions underneath the surface, and it was so great for me to see a real introvert on TV. 

What would you all pick as the best and worst episodes from each season?

• Love 7
On 4/21/2017 at 6:56 AM, lostandfound said:

Pam is a best for me too. Like others have said, she's not plucky, spunky and vibrant in the way we're used to seeing from a lot of main characters. She's passive and sometimes passive-aggressive too, and I can see why she would frustrate some viewers. Her strengths and weaknesses just happen to be ones that I connect and relate to so much. I feel like Jenna Fischer played her as having very intense emotions underneath the surface, and it was so great for me to see a real introvert on TV. 

I think Pam is interesting (and maybe frustrating) *because* she is so relatable. She has bigger dreams but she's stuck in this crappy job, and while she ultimately loves her office family, they get on her nerves at times like any other "real" family members. Jenna Fischer is definitely attractive but I like that she's styled as a very "normal" attractive woman, especially in the first few seasons (when I refer to her as "crunchy-hair Pam")...someone you'd actually see in an office and/or work with. I think most of us see ourselves in Jim and Pam and while yes, their lives get more boring after they finally get together, have kids, and settle in, that's pretty much how real life works, too.

• Love 5

I'm catching up, so I haven't gotten through all the episodes. I think I'm on Season 5. I don't mind spoilers because I've already read a bunch elsewhere.  But here goes:

My favorite episodes are both parts of "Stress Relief" and "Andy's Play." 

• Love 2
(edited)

Best: This show in general, which is still one of my very favorite things in the world, one of the only sitcoms I've ever loved, and a show I will always be more obsessed with than any people who don't care enough to post on sites like this one could ever understand! 

Seasons in order of how much I love them right now even though it frequently changes! 4, 1/2 (I count them as one because S1 is so short!), 5, 3, 7, 9, 6, 8. 

Favorite characters in no logical order: Pam, Michael, Stanley, Toby, Holly. 

Favorite relationships, romantic and platonic: Jim/Pam (Despite what I say about Jim below), Michael/Holly, Michael/Pam, Michael/Dwight, Michael/Ryan. 

Making my own category here :):

Understandably popular character I used to love but now don't: Jim. I made the mistake of reading a couple of articles on how Jim is actually a terrible human being, and while I didn't agree with every point, enough of it resonated with me to the point where I now can't NOT see it when I watch the show. (And it's not like he's supposed to be awful like Michael, Dwight, Angela, etc---he's supposed to be the likable 'everyman', which makes it worse because the show rarely acknowledges how problematic he is). The way he mocks and seems to sincerely feel so superior to everyone in the office, has no remote interest in anything outside of Pam until the random sports thing at the end of the series, and is just smug and mean sometimes just make it hard for me to root for him. I still love Jim and Pam as a couple, but Jim, who was my ultimate fictional crush when the show first aired, is no longer someone I'm too invested in. 

Things I'd change about the show: Aspects of Jim's characterization (see above), giving Pam a close female friendship maybe with Holly or more likely a character who exists only in my head rather than on the show, a lot of what was done after Michael left the show. 

Unpopular opinions - I really love Holly and Michael/Holly more than anyone else I know! I love season 4 even more than S1-S3 and love S5 a lot. I don't love Jim for reasons I mentioned. Angela could be funny but I disliked her so much at times and wanted Dwight to move on. I love Pam despite her weaknesses. And speaking of loving people despite their weaknesses, Michael Scott is to me one of the greatet TV characters ever created! The Michael/Jan relationship gave me some of the funniest and most memorable moments of the show, so even though I understand why many dislike it, I'll always be grateful for it.  One more: I really like the pilot - it hooked me on the show, and it was only later that I learned most dislike it. 

10 desert island episodes: Diversity Day, The Injury, Dwight's Speech, The Job, Fun Run, The Deposition, Dinner Party, Stress Relief, Cafe Disco, Goodbye Michael 

Love this show and love everyone who still cares enough to post about it! 

Edited by stillsearching74
  • Love 4

hey, guys, I made a tee shirt about Schute Farms. Do you guys like it, or have ideas to improve it.

teespring.com/the-office-us#pid=2&cid=568&sid=front

I just rewatched the entire series again for the 3rd or 4th time, and came to this board to see if it was still active. Sadly, it isn't really, but I'd still like to add my input of my fav to least fav seasons.

S2, S3, S1 (I love all the Jim and Pam angst. Also, most of my favorite episodes exist within these three seasons.).

S4 

S5

S9 (Again, the Jim and Pam drama drew me in, and I loved the Dwight/Angela stuff).

S6

S7

S8 (I hate, hate, HATE Robert California).

• Love 3
On April 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Kip Hackman said:

For me, S2 is the least rewatchable because I've seen it so many times.

I just realized that this doesn't make any sense, lol. 

I guess S2 is the most rewatchable, I just watched it one too many times.

• Love 2

Similar to a post above, I just finished rewatching the entire series again for the 3rd or 4th time.  Ranking:  2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6, 9, 7, 8.

It would be difficult to find another actor who could have pulled off Michael Scott better than Steve Carell.  He played broad comedy so well that you almost didn't notice the undercurrent of pathos.  But Carell played that pathos brilliantly.  As the seasons went on, he became more and more sympathetic, and he was impossible to replace.

The ensemble was a wonderful quirky bunch that excelled in their supporting roles.  I could count on all of them for a solid laugh that was particular to their individual character with one exception:  Andy.  Andy's character was nails on a chalkboard to me, and I find Ed Helms to be a horribly overrated, self-indulgent actor.

Comedy Gold:  Party Planning Committee

Comedy Silver:  Jim & Dwight Pranks

Comedy Bronze:  Creed.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GenerationX said:

It would be difficult to find another actor who could have pulled off Michael Scott better than Steve Carell.  He played broad comedy so well that you almost didn't notice the undercurrent of pathos.  But Carell played that pathos brilliantly.  As the seasons went on, he became more and more sympathetic, and he was impossible to replace.

I totally agree.  The show was not the same without him. He was soooo hilarious and, as the show went on, totally endearing. 

Completely unrelated, but I never understood why everyone thought Gabe was so gross. I thought he was one of the most attractive males on the cast. I also loved that he was into horror and "strange" things; that video he showed at the Halloween party (I think in S8?) was awesome, and I wanted to see the entire thing.

Edited by Zima

I have trouble sleeping, and for the past year I've slept with my ipad with The Office playing on an endless loop, season after season.  I've watched them all maybe 50 times.

1.  I am made very uncomfortable by James Spader.

2.  I want to know how Michael and Oscar kept straight faces during the 'colonoscopy' cold open ('should I have a safe word?').

• Love 4
On 2/17/2015 at 10:01 AM, amensisterfriend said:

Dinner Party is definitely one of my top 2 favorite episodes (it and Nasty Christmas trade off depending on my mood). "You took me by the hand. Made me a man...." I can still see Jan's awkward dance and am cracking up as I type this. And Andy's face at the end when Angela smashes her ice cream on the door of his car? Classic!

• Love 2
On 1/7/2018 at 3:07 PM, GenerationX said:

Comedy Gold:  Party Planning Committee

Comedy Silver:  Jim & Dwight Pranks

Comedy Bronze:  Creed.

Why are you playing the national anthem?

Because this ranking is in America. [play along if you live in Canada or something. I wanted to quote this]

On 1/30/2018 at 6:23 PM, Mothra said:

I want to know how Michael and Oscar kept straight faces during the 'colonoscopy' cold open ('should I have a safe word?').

Oscar Nunez was known for not breaking. He broke character in the final seasons blooper reel and you can hear everyone cheering and freaking out because it was the first major time he broke. He was embarrassed and went back to stoic Oscar Martinez almost instantly. 

• Love 5

Corny but my fav moment of the show is when Jim interupts Pam to ask for a date after his interview. Her face was so real, she even blushed. But it was mostly downhill after that as far as Jim and Pam for me...I guess it had to be, the suspense was over. What I hate most about the office is Dwight, in every possible way. I do not find him funny at all, his character does not amuse me, I do not understand why Jim and Pam protect him. From starting fires to shooting off guns, he is a complete loser. He and Angela deserve one another. Ryan pretty funny most of the time, love that he turned crooked. Michael was almost unbelievable as a character but also necessary...none of the other bosses were any good or worth watching for me. He made it all make sense. Did not like Holly,or Karen. In a mean way I enjoyed it when Jim told her in Utica how great he and Pam were. She was like a leech the way she glommed onto him in Stamford, he too mild to shake her off...a basic rebound affair. Jan went too far off the rails though she was great in her role. Have been watching reruns on Comedy channel but lose interest after Pam and Jim’s wedding. The babies sank them for me as they do most sitcoms.

On 2/17/2015 at 8:01 AM, amensisterfriend said:

In keeping with my general 'S4 is sadly underrated!' theme,

I go back and forth in regards to my feelings on Season 4. On the one hand, Goodbye, Toby is my favorite episode of the entire series. I think it's close to perfect. I'm not a fan of Holly, but this episode is great. Michael singing his song "Goodbye, Toby" in uninhibited fashion in front of everyone in the parking lot is one of my favorite moments. Dinner Party is (rightly) hailed as a great episode, and I think The Deposition may be better when it comes to cringe-worthy comedy. Either way, both are great.

On the other hand...Season 4 has some weak stretches. Episodes like Chair Model and Survivor Man are pretty bad. I never got the love for Did I Stutter? I mean, yes, in terms of Michael's growth as a person and a boss, it's a pretty big moment, but I have never found it funny. And while none of the hour-long shows at the start of the season were bad--none of them should have been hour-long shows. The Office did great with their "super-sized" episodes (the ones like Casino Party and Goodbye, Michael that were longer than the normal 22 minutes, but didn't stretch over the entire hour). And they had a few hour-long shows throughout the years that were classics (like Goodbye, Toby!). But none of the early Season 4 hour-longs were classic eps. Probably shouldn't have been hour-long eps.

(edited)
On 4/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, Jimbo said:

Michael singing his song "Goodbye, Toby" in uninhibited fashion in front of everyone in the parking lot is one of my favorite moments. Dinner Party is (rightly) hailed as a great episode

"Goodbye Toby" is one of my favorite moments ever! I like that song anyway, and he was rockin', haha! As for "Dinner Party," there is one small tiny Angela moment that makes me laugh so much: when Michael says he's in hell and Angela quietly says, "You shouldn't joke about that." Also, when she smashes the ice cream cone. Also, my BF and I still randomly bust into "one niiight!"

My favorite Pam moment ever is also a small thing. When Michael tries to recruit people for his paper company and Pam, against her better judgment, goes with him. It's her quiet, to herself "oh no" that kills me every time!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I love the Office and have been watching on Comedy Central. I think the series would have been perfect if Mike and Andy got punched in the face in every episode. Kind of like "who killed Kenny" on South Park. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

I love the Office and have been watching on Comedy Central. I think the series would have been perfect if Mike and Andy got punched in the face in every episode. Kind of like "who killed Kenny" on South Park. 

The show was better when they focused on the ensemble instead of Michael and Andy, especially Andy. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Some of my favorite episodes...

The Fight - Dwight double punches Michael in the stomach.

Diversity Day - Kelly Slaps Michael

Business Trip - Stewardess runs snack cart into Michael's ankle

Double Date - Pam slaps Michael

Andy was such a loser I loved all the bad things that happened to him. I hated him.

Funny show even toward the end of it's run their was always something funny, great writing too.

Edited by Mr. Minor
  • Love 1

My favorite episode of all time is Conflict Resolution. Sight gags, great performance by Rainn Wilson, storyline that moves the Pam-Jim plot forward. Perfect in every way.

My husband's favorite is The Dinner Party. The teeny plasma TV gets him every time.

• Love 3

Best Looking Woman: Donna (Amy Pietz)
Runner up: Susan California (Maura Tierney)
Honorable mentions: Pam (in later seasons), Val, Karen

Most admirable character: Dwight
Runner-up: Creed

Most inconsistent character: Ryan
Runner-up Darryl

I watched most of seasons 8 and 9 on Comedy Central recently (I stopped watching sometime after Michael left, I think). Then I decided to rewatch seasons 1 and 2. Wow. The show was so so so good in the first few seasons. I had totally forgotten.