Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: American Dream Plan B

In the Season 6 premiere, Jules vows to stop drinking wine during Laurie's pregnancy, but finds no kindred spirits among the rest of the crew, who set up a speakeasy in Tom's garage. Meanwhile, Grayson gives Travis parenting tips with help from a baby pig.

"Hey, whatever happened to Barb?"

Some very classic stuff through it, but we're running on fumes. Didn't miss Bobby, but the total lack of chemistry between Travis and Laurie is really sucking something out of this season. And without the actual presence of Bobby, the stuff with Andy felt very odd. 

Didn't hate the Matrix stuff, but found myself not loving as much as I hoped I would. 

• Love 1

"You're not forty." "Did that sound helpful?"

Really glad they're not dragging out Laurie's pregnancy but was kind of hoping she and Trav weren't together anymore. They have no chemistry now they are actually a couple. Matrix thing was stupid but it made me laugh. Really surprised we actually saw Tampa and her mom again (and that Grayson has come around to calling her Tampa rather than Jill).

Two things I'm really hoping for this year: an episode with plots that don't revolve around them drinking or commenting about how much wine they have and secondly to make Andy less pathetic. I hope he doesn't spend the season pining for Bobby.

ETA: Really loving Ellie's growing friendship with Tom.

Edited by godonlyknows
  • Love 3

1. Holy crap that piglet was cute.

2. Tampa! Barb! (at least in mention)

3. Thank goodness it won't be a season of pregnancy hi-jinx with the birth as the series finale.

4. Thank goodness the pregnancy won't keep them from wine.

5. That speakeasy was awesome.

6. Speaking as someone who did not know/understand it was a Matrix parody, that sequence actually really worked for me as a standalone. Weird.

7. Good for Jules for not jumping for joy that she's going to get stuck raising that kid. (Although really, when your kid gets together with your best friend and you actually encourage it, you maybe didn't start out with the greatest game plan.)

(Sorry, I like lists!) 

• Love 3

I saw a trailer where Laurie was drinking wine & I had high hopes that they were going to make the pregnancy a dream or a mistake or something, but sadly no. They're continuing full-steam ahead with the abomination that is Laurie & Travis and ruining Travis's life by saddling him with a white trash baby mama.

I've liked this show since it was about cougar Jules getting laid by younger men (which was really only for a few episodes), but it's lost its charm. I know they explained Bobby gone as being on tour (when did he get good enough again to go on tour?), but was it because Brian van Holt was filming "Ascension"?

I liked the sequence with Grayson and Travis on the crowded street, but I've never liked Tom and still don't, yet I abhor the way the cul de sac crew treats him -- and he takes it!

• Love 2

Really glad they're not dragging out Laurie's pregnancy

Me too. At the beginning of the episode, I thought crap, am I going to have to deal with an entire season of cranky pregnant Laurie (as opposed to cranky non-pregnant Laurie)? I was relieved when they time jumped to the eighth month.

Kind of hilarious that Travis's kid will only be a few years younger than his step-sister Tampa.

• Love 2

I had high hopes that they were going to make the pregnancy a dream or a mistake or something, but sadly no. They're continuing full-steam ahead with the abomination that is Laurie & Travis and ruining Travis's life

If only it were a dream! Or at least a false positive. I don't buy them as a couple anyway but I really don't feel like either of them are ready to or want to settle down, they want different things in life (I vaguely remember them having a conversation where Travis wanted to move to the city or something?) and they aren't particularly good with  or interested in kids. I remember Trav building Stan a baby prison back in season 1 and I think Laurie made Stan a fake ankle monitor and that's about all they've had to do with children. I think it's going to ruin both of their lives and I don't see any good stories coming out of it since the show tends to ignore babies anyway and it's just going against their characters.

I know they explained Bobby gone as being on tour (when did he get good enough again to go on tour?), but was it because Brian van Holt was filming "Ascension"?

Bobby's back for next week's episode and that's it. He's only in one episode for the entire season. I was hoping that he could have had a day off filming his new show to at least turn up in the finale. Fingers crossed he doesn't die and that's how they explain his absence. From the episode summaries for the next two episodes: 

Laurie gives birth and her son is also called Bobby.

Next's week is written by Kevin Biegel (one of the creators) so I'm hoping it's a good one. Chick's in it too.

I absolutely loved the first two seasons of this show but it really seems to be running out of steam and it's getting really repetitive. It's like the writers watched a couple of episodes and made a handful of bullet points on things that happen and then incorporate them into every new episode. I never need to hear another mention of how much wine they drink (just let them hold the full wine glasses, no need to make it a plot every episode) and it seems there always has to be a "change approved" or "imaginary hat". It doesn't feel like a callback anymore, just lazy writing. I bet within the next two episodes Grayson will get annoyed with Jules for interfering in his life/not respecting his privacy and need for space and Jules will end up apologizing. Meanwhile Ellie will say something a bit too mean to Laurie and not treat Andy like he's her husband and she'll apologize. Followed by another episode where they do exactly the same thing with no remorse.

Anyway, enough complaining, I'm glad it's back. I still like watching the characters hang out together and enjoy the heartfelt moments - I always love Jules with her dad. I'm still invested enough in this show that I care about the characters and I want to watch it every week.

• Love 2

The only thing I can find is that Brian Van Holt was leaving the show to "pursue other projects." "Ascension" didn't get picked up as a series.

Apparently, he was dating Courtney Cox at one point, so love gone wrong? Cost-cutting? But they're keeping Tom as a regular?

Between Laurie'S pregnancy and this, I'm glad this is the last season. I probably would have stopped watching anyway.

• Love 1

Ascension was always supposed to be six episodes, than instead of airing one hour a week over six weeks, they burned them off in three days but they still filmed six one hour episodes in Montreal which overlapped with Cougar Town filming schedule in LA. Brian and Courtney literally broke up years ago, before the show even moved to TBS.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I'm really sorry to hear that Bobby's only in one episode.  I think he adds a lot to the ensemble, and his total absence is noticeable.  

That said, I really enjoyed this episode, much as I've enjoyed the entire series.  These people are terrible and ridiculous, and I adore their totally unrealistic antics.  Even Trav and Laurie don't bother me, because I don't think them getting together is too out of character for either of them.  I wouldn't bet on them long-term or anything, but it's a good way to keep the whole group together for the final season.  

Everyone forgetting that Dime Eyes has a kid was a great running gag.  

• Love 5

They over did Laurie's baby bump; she looked like she was having triplets.

The only thing that comes close to the cuteness factor of a Tea Cup/piglet is a French Bulldog, especially a puppy.

"Imagine being 40 and having an infant."  I don't think so, Courtney.  Plastic surgery and dyed hair or not.

That's it.

"Imagine being 40 and having an infant."  I don't think so, Courtney.  Plastic surgery and dyed hair or not.

Well, Dime Eyes did say she was over 40, so I thought that was a nice shout-out that she wasn't 40 when the show started. (Courtney Cox turned 50 last year.)

Nickel socks: the horrible, demented cousin of Penny Can.

Initially I thought that Nickel socks were stupid, but then they had her use them in the speakeasy scene and they were comic gold! Girlfriend went off! Some got two "socks" before they fell. 

• Love 2

I miss Butchie - er, I mean Bobby.  For some strange reason, I have a sick case of adoring him.  Ellie's my next favorite - the meaner she gets the happier I am.

I have zero tolerance for sitcoms, so it never ceases to amaze me that I actually enjoy this silly show.  :-)

I thought that was the joke - she went on and on about how her family never gained any weight during pregnancy, and then BOOM, she's huge.  Overly huge.

I think one of the reasons I like this show so much is that they never took themselves seriously.  It's always been over the top and ridiculous, and the show never pretended it was anything else.  It made it so easy just to enjoy the comedy of it, rather than overthinking it and taking all the fun out of it.  An example is Tampa - all the "Grayson has a kid?" stuff was definitely them making fun of themselves for completely ignoring her for so long.  

• Love 2

7. Good for Jules for not jumping for joy that she's going to get stuck raising that kid. (Although really, when your kid gets together with your best friend and you actually encourage it, you maybe didn't start out with the greatest game plan.)

I kind of wish instead of Grayson convincing her to accept her fate, she had laid some kind of verbal smackdown onto Laurie and Travis and explained to them that she is going to be the fun grandma, and the actual parenting will be their responsibility. Because otherwise it is kind of depressing.

I saw a trailer where Laurie was drinking wine & I had high hopes that they were going to make the pregnancy a dream or a mistake or something, but sadly no. They're continuing full-steam ahead with the abomination that is Laurie & Travis and ruining Travis's life by saddling him with a white trash baby mama.

Then again the whole pregnancy storyline is kind of depressing for me. I mean the whole theme of the show was that Jules got pregnant and married way too young and while it didn't ruin her life she supposedly had a bunch of potential and missed out on a lot of things. Now with her son history is pretty much repeating itself.

Bobby's only in one episode? That sucks. One of the best relationships on this show was Andy and Bobby.

That is the most disappointing thing I have read in awhile. Bobby is my favourite character, and for awhile I thought he was the funniest character on TV. 

That said I did like the Matrix reference, and Jules really getting into the pig call was hilarious. Any references to her rural past are always funny.

To be fair I remember way back seeing an episode of Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles that guest starred Busy Phillips. She was actually pregnant when they filmed it and she was pretty big.

• Love 3
Then again the whole pregnancy storyline is kind of depressing for me. I mean the whole theme of the show was that Jules got pregnant and married way too young and while it didn't ruin her life she supposedly had a bunch of potential and missed out on a lot of things. Now with her son history is pretty much repeating itself.

Plus, Travis had dreams of going to the "big city" and becoming a professional photographer. It was bad enough he got talked out of those dreams by Laurie and the rest of the cul de sac crew, then he gets saddled with a baby. I always hear "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" when I think of the soundtrack of their future.

• Love 2

Plus, Travis had dreams of going to the "big city" and becoming a professional photographer. It was bad enough he got talked out of those dreams by Laurie and the rest of the cul de sac crew, then he gets saddled with a baby. I always hear "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" when I think of the soundtrack of their future.

I totally see it as Jules and Bobby version 2.0. I am just not sure who is who, but I can totally see Travis in 15-20 years being in the same position that Jules was in season 1 realizing that she married Bobby (Laurie) and missed out on so much of her life. And for Travis it is even worse since at least Jules got to have fun before she got pregnant (she danced on stage with Bruce Springsteen!). 

Also does Travis even have  a job?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
I totally see it as Jules and Bobby version 2.0. I am just not sure who is who, but I can totally see Travis in 15-20 years being in the same position that Jules was in season 1 realizing that she married Bobby (Laurie) and missed out on so much of her life.

Travis is Jules. Laurie will start cheating on him, just like Bobby cheated on Jules, but will protest it's not a big deal, because it's "just sex" and Travis needs to get over his hang-ups. She'll have a couple of other bastards with other baby daddies, but foist them off on Travis when she finally takes off with a biker named "Killer" or "Strangler" or "Macho." 

Also does Travis even have  a job?

I just asked that in the newest episode thread. Last we knew, wasn't he working at the coffee shop?