Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 01/05/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm ashamed and evil, when they said Whoopi had a bulging disc I whooped and yelled surgery and long recovery.  I'm going to hell.

Another wonderful show, I do enjoy the serious topics but today was just plain fun.  I'm still giggling about the Marcus Bachmann references, yes, former congress critter spouse Michele is embarrassingly from the district over.  Speaking of Palin - those two were hideous on tour together.  And I gotta say I agree with Nicolle's alarm at TLC and the show they discussed, but I appreciated Rosie's point about it being some people's reality.  It was nice to have she and Mario's perspectives.

Love Kathy Griffin....

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 11

Another great episode w/o the presence of the Whoop.  This is how bad the show has gotten now for me, in my head whenever there is a topic that Rosie is able to speak clearly and concisely about, such as that TLC show "My Husband isn't Gay" or whatever it's called, all I could think was how Whoopi would argue against Rosie, or whomever else about how to some it is a choice to live their lives that way b/c it's easier for them.  Damn you Whoopi...even when you aren't there my mind still imagines you are and I can hear your inane arguments just to argue.

Can we do something about Nicole interrupting other's arguments to turn into her own.  If I was on that panel and I was trying to tell a story and someone else took my story to add their own opinion/argument/talking point it would piss me off so much.  Nicole seems to be taking cues from Whoopi where it's okay to overtake..overtalk others to make her point/story.  Lose those damn blue cards too Nicole, you are smarter than that...all that reminds me of is of the days of Bitsy and her pre-planned talking points.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 12

I usually record the show but was home this morning and watched. I enjoyed it so much I may re-watch the recording! And that's not something I'd ever say about any of the Whoopi episodes. Some of those I can barely get through because of how obnoxious she is. Though I feel a smidgen of guilt, a smidgen only, but hearing that Whoopi has a bulging disc and has to lay flat? Sounded like something you don't bounce back from and that made me happy. I'm evil like that I guess. But the show yesterday and today has just been loads better. And today's panel was a great mix - and who'd of thunk it with three raucous comedians sitting there? That Mario, Kathy and Rosie could all get their jokes in and still have a natural conversation riffing off of each other? Great.

I loved how after the Palin clip Rosie asked Nicole if she had PTSD and Nicole's response. It was funny but better it just felt genuine and natural. The kind of thing I'd ask a friend in a similar situation. The whole panel worked together naturally. Even more so then yesterday, but I put that down to the football announcer dude who was just out of place.

Fun times.

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 18

I agree. It could have easily fallen into pandemonium today but it never reached that point for me. It was just spontaneous and natural.

Makes me wonder a little about what Babs thought about today's show.  Women have always given her the glory about "paving the way" for other women.  Kathy gave that credit to Joan Rivers today, and for KG's particular brand, it seemed appropriate.

• Love 9

The news about Whoopi's back reminded me of a joke......

Guy went on vacation and he asked his brother to watch his dog. The next day the brothers talked and he said, sorry man... but your dog died.

The brother was upset and said you just ruined my vacation.... you could have given me the news a little at a time..... maybe tell me the dog got on the roof and I cant get him down...... then progress toward the end of my vacation to give me the bad news.

Sorry for getting so upset and taking it out on you.... so how is Mom??
Well.... she is on the roof and we cant get her down.....

I wonder if this is their way of telling us that Whoopi isnt coming back..... maybe her bulging disc story is just her on the roof

• Love 10

I was clapping for Kathy and her statement about the Guidice's vs Apollo's sentencing.    She does not pull any punches.   

I loved that Rosie wore a dress because Maggie asked her to.   I could watch a show with just Rosie and old people and babies every day.

Kathy's been on several shows promoting FP and while she looks good, I wonder if she's had a little tweak--her face looks different to me than it did last fall.    I loved her co-hosting and I thought the whole group worked well together today.     I don't wish Whoopi any pain, but she can certainly take her time and rest and make sure she's healed.

• Love 13

The news about Whoopi's back reminded me of a joke......

Guy went on vacation and he asked his brother to watch his dog. The next day the brothers talked and he said, sorry man... but your dog died.

The brother was upset and said you just ruined my vacation.... you could have given me the news a little at a time..... maybe tell me the dog got on the roof and I cant get him down...... then progress toward the end of my vacation to give me the bad news.

Sorry for getting so upset and taking it out on you.... so how is Mom??

Well.... she is on the roof and we cant get her down.....

I wonder if this is their way of telling us that Whoopi isnt coming back..... maybe her bulging disc story is just her on the roof

From your keyboard to TPTB's ears!!!  LOL.  Also, that's one of my all-time favourite jokes.

• Love 4

The show I watched today was not The View...this was some new show, with fresh, intelligent and witty commentary.  It was quick-paced, had many perspectives without anger nor shutting people down.  It was fun, and totally watchable.  

Kathy G was good in that she was not doing her shtick and just offered her perspectives.  When she came on the View before, she was more in character.  Same with Mario.  

• Love 17

We all know that The View has no qualms about straight up lying about a co-host's reason for departure (Star Jones, Hasselbeck, etc). I suspect that TPTB are pulling yet another hat trick with Whoopi. They can't be so blind as to not see the obvious positive change in chemistry with these Whooping less episodes.

• Love 10

We all know that The View has no qualms about straight up lying about a co-host's reason for departure (Star Jones, Hasselbeck, etc). I suspect that TPTB are pulling yet another hat trick with Whoopi. They can't be so blind as to not see the obvious positive change in chemistry with these Whooping less episodes.

The only issue I seeing w/that would be that I can't see Whoopi staying silent if this was her graceful exit out. I can't see Whoopi going out gracefully either unless ABC said keep your mouth shut and we will pay out the remainder of your contract. I would think we would have heard of a big blow up where the powers that be laid it on the line for Whoopi and Rosie to play nice or walk.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 7

Wow what a great show today!

I actually laughed out loud at something and paid attention.

The segment about the movie actually had me rethinking my decision not to see the film.  Nicolle's sincere praise for the film was lovely.

• Love 6

What an enjoyable show! Enjoyed all of it.

Same here, lookeyloo!  I mostly liked how the conversation flowed and wasn't scripted - not a, 'Hey! What about this?" interruption in sight. I'm sure there were some topics that they didn't get to but I so much prefer that to the rush of checking them off the teleprompter the way Whoopi moderates.  Even with five people (one too many in my opinon) at the table I felt like a real conversation was happening.  

Rosie in a dress!  She looked soooo good.  I'm not sure I've ever seen her dressed that way and it was so sweet of her to do it for Maggie (KG's 94 year old mom) too.  Anyone know whose baby RO had on her lap at the end? 

Even though I disagree with having five co-hosts, as a huge The Mindy Project fan I liked hearing from the writer/producer of that show. 

• Love 10

Kathy's been on several shows promoting FP and while she looks good, I wonder if she's had a little tweak--her face looks different to me than it did last fall

From the look of her ears, she has had her face pulled back.  Usually they try to hide the incision around the ear and sometimes it gets a little puckered, and Kathy's hair was styled so that you could see it.   

OMG, my ears are bleeding.  There was way too much cross talk.  Could have been a much better show with one less talker or better moderating.  But still lots of fun and very entertaining.

• Love 1

I would really like to see Mindy Kaling as a guest co-host on this show. She is so quick-witted and funny that it would be great, but it would have to be only Rosie, Nicole, Mindy, and maybe Mario.

• Love 4

My cable guide says that Nicolle is a guest on Watch What Happens Live on Wednesday night.

Thanks for the heads up car54. DVR is set. 

Kathy Griffin did look different today - different even from New Year's Eve with Anderson.   I thought it was just her hair was oversprayed (I guess Nicolle isn't sharing her secret hairspray, lol) and maybe missing some extensions though.  Either way, she looks good and I'd love to have her figure.   I'm looking forward to seeing her on Fashion Police.  Love the old red carpet pics of her and RO - those were hilarious.  

• Love 6

Just watched today which I haven't done in years. Anyway, Rosie seems so relaxed & at ease. I wonder why? Oh, that's right! She is moderating & Whoppie isn't there either. I guess that proves that she wants to be in charge and is happier. SomethIng will have to give and one of them will probably leave. I like Kathy but her hair (wig) looked yellow & dried out. She looked 100% better on NYE or any other time. I likeNicole even if she giggles too much. She seems to like Roise. That said, I can't stand Mario Cantone's (what is it with having men in the panel) and, I have no idea who the other woman is/was.

• Love 2

Ro's dress was 2 sizes too small for her.  She looked like a stuffed sausage.  Just sayin'.   Only liberals are watching this trash fest, do you think that will be enough to carry the show?  Never has been before.  I think not. 

I thought that Rosie looked spanked into a very flattering dress for her coloration.  I was happy to see the black tights and shoes to extend her line and the ruching was very flattering for her.  I will never understand the no stockings thing, even in the dead of winter - it goes along with the sleeveless dresses (a la Fox News Bimbos generally and Kathy Griffin :P and Mika on Morning Joe) when did it become so fashionable to dress in clothing that obviously does not suit the season?  The temps are below zero in much of the nation and it just strikes me as silly.

She looked awesome, and for her to go out there in a dress like that for Maggie?  Was a wonderful tribute, imho.  She looked great, and I thought her fake modeling was hilarious.  A dress two sizes larger would have hung on her and looked ridiculous, the style of the dress was to hug everything closely.

• Love 19

I thought that Rosie looked spanked into a very flattering dress for her coloration.  I was happy to see the black tights and shoes to extend her line and the ruching was very flattering for her.  I will never understand the no stockings thing, even in the dead of winter - it goes along with the sleeveless dresses (a la Fox News Bimbos generally and Kathy Griffin :P and Mika on Morning Joe) when did it become so fashionable to dress in clothing that obviously does not suit the season?  The temps are below zero in much of the nation and it just strikes me as silly.

Don't leave out our own Nicolle.  She does the sleeveless thing more days than not.  I blame Michelle Obama and her fabulous arms, lol. 

Ha!  Busted.  Except as Bronzedog posted, that was seven days ago.  I know from experience that back issues can just happen in a minute.  

It was her own baby.

Ahhh, thanks Vinyasa!

• Love 3

I understand the comments about Rosie O being more relaxed without Whoopie being there. But I wish she would find a way to sort it out when Whoopie is there. I don't think it is all Whoopie. They need to work it out and stop letting it show on the tv.

Okay, but I've yet to see RO cut anyone off or shake her finger at the audience, or tell anyone their opinion is just wrong and hers is right, for example, "Here is how it is...."  and then repeat it until everyone either just falls silent or Whoopi quickly moves on to the next topic.   RO knows how to moderate a talk show.  I don't think Whoopi ever has gotten the hang of it.  

• Love 16

Even though these ladies many times just say what I perceive to be pandering comments

Can you help me understand why you think they are just pandering?  I'd love Cho as a rotating co-host, she was so sweet, and so informative and essentially wonderful yesterday - but I'm not sure a full table of comediennes fits the shows *vision*.

• Love 3

OMG, my ears are bleeding.  There was way too much cross talk.  Could have been a much better show with one less talker or better moderating.  But still lots of fun and very entertaining.

I  agree.  sometimes it was difficult to hear because they were all talking at once!

Ro's dress was 2 sizes too small for her.  She looked like a stuffed sausage.  Just sayin'.   Only liberals are watching this trash fest, do you think that will be enough to carry the show?  Never has been before.  I think not. 

Thanks for tuning in to the trash fest! I thought Ro looked good enough to eat as well. 

Plus, a good, healthy dose of liberalism is just what this show has needed.  A little realism is a good thing.

• Love 20

I personally enjoyed the show, although I thought having both Kathy and Mario on at the same time caused the show to be a bit scatterbrained and hyper-speed. It didn't bother me (I was probably the perfect demo for today's lineup), but I'm sure that part of it bothered some viewers out there. That's the main reason Kathy's talk show on Bravo failed, because it's hard for her to stay focused or not to throw information out at break-neck speed. The girl from the Mindy project, or whatever, seemed a little overwhelmed and rarely spoke. 

Anyway, I liked that Rosie O wore a dress, although I think she could've found a better one for her figure, tbh. But I hope she adventures out to new clothes more often.

So nice to have a break from Whoopi. Still, part of me hopes for her sake that "back problems" is just an excuse because that's one of the worst kinds of pain, imo.

• Love 3

Nicolle not only said DeBlasio ran and anti-police campaign, she cited the fact that one of his first rulings as mayor was to overturn the stop-and-frisk program. She said this as a justification for the police to use officer's funerals to protest the Mayor. 

Gotta love Nicolle and the untrue rightwing talking points she slips in all the time. For someone who is such an adherant of the constitution, you'd think she'd know that last summer it was a court that ruled stop and frisk was unconstitutional and could no longer be used. So she thinks the NYPD should be above the constitution? And surely she knows that the crime rate continued to go down once stop and frisk was phased out.

Yes, de Blasio campaigned on ending stop and frisk because he felt it was outrageous how black and brown people were targeted and profiled and stopped and frisked when stats showed that white people were arrested, i.e., committed some crime, at the same rate as minorities. There weren't the same number of white people arrested simply because they were stopped so many fewer times. And yes, one of Mayor de Blasio's first decisions was that the city would not further appeal the court decision but Nicolle is full of RWNJ hot air to accuse him of being the one to end the program. It amazes me that she and her right wing cronies, and the police department, can state that he ran an anti-police campaign because he supported ending a blatantly racist policy.

• Love 20

Gotta love Nicolle and the untrue rightwing talking points she slips in all the time. For someone who is such an adherant of the constitution, you'd think she'd know that last summer it was a court that ruled stop and frisk was unconstitutional and could no longer be used. So she thinks the NYPD should be above the constitution? And surely she knows that the crime rate continued to go down once stop and frisk was phased out.

Yes, de Blasio campaigned on ending stop and frisk because he felt it was outrageous how black and brown people were targeted and profiled and stopped and frisked when stats showed that white people were arrested, i.e., committed some crime, at the same rate as minorities. There weren't the same number of white people arrested simply because they were stopped so many fewer times. And yes, one of Mayor de Blasio's first decisions was that the city would not further appeal the court decision but Nicolle is full of RWNJ hot air to accuse him of being the one to end the program. It amazes me that she and her right wing cronies, and the police department, can state that he ran an anti-police campaign because he supported ending a blatantly racist policy.

Thank you! Thank you!

Wanting justice and demanding fair treatment, is not anti police. It's just wanting justice, that is not a bad thing. I'm always baffled why that is considered anti police.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 11

Any other Canadians watch yesterday?  If so, did your station show the ending with Rosie's baby.  Mine went from the last segment to commercial after commercial after commercial, then straight into the Ellen show.

I don't wish Whoopi ill health, but the tension-free shows this week have been great to watch. Instead of cringing, I actually found myself chuckling. Hopefully when her back gets better, her mood will improve too, and she won't be so negative and bitter towards her co-hosts and the viewing audience. 

edit to add:   And Rosie looked great in the dress.  She was probably *spanxed* but still she needs to get some better fitting clothes, because she's been hiding her new body under baggy atire.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 3

Any other Canadians watch yesterday?  If so, did your station show the ending with Rosie's baby.  Mine went from the last segment to commercial after commercial after commercial, then straight into the Ellen show.

Mine does that all the time. It cuts straight to the local news for me though.

Viewers, please remember that this forum is for discussion of the show and what was said on it but not a catch-all for hot topics or personal politics and opinions on it. Thank you.

I actually enjoy Nichole's contributions to the conversations and I love when she's all star struck. I don't want her cut from the panel. I'll show myself out.

I enjoy Nicolle's presence as well and if TPTB felt compelled to include a conservative simply on the grounds of being conservative, I think she was an excellent choice. Certainly a better choice than "I'm too sexy for my skirt" S.E. Cupp.

Gotta agree with ByaNose, Kathy's hair looked like crap and seriously, her bangs were just bizarre. I'm new to Mario Cantone and already over him, lol. On a more serious note, I look forward to today's discussion of the horrific massacre in Paris and am crossing my fingers that Whoopi's not around to ruin it.

* Well-played, Fisher King!

• Love 1

I don't wish Whoopi ill health, but the tension-free shows this week have been great to watch. Instead of cringing, I actually found myself chuckling. Hopefully when her back gets better, her mood will improve too, and she won't be so negative and bitter towards her co-hosts and the viewing audience. 

edit to add:   And Rosie looked great in the dress.  She was probably *spanxed* but still she needs to get some better fitting clothes, because she's been hiding her new body under baggy atire.

Yes, same thing happened here in Calgary.

Well. Kinda screechy up until the Cosby discussion. 

I've been wondering when/if Phylicia Rashad would speak out.  Her statement sounds canned and carefully scripted, although as Nicolle pointed out, it might very well be true.

I totally felt Mario's pain when the discussion turned serious.

• Love 3

I really like Nicolle & her views & mine are not the same, she presents in a way that is adult & intelligent & I listen!!

Another thing she does is encourage the person she is interviewing to talk about themselves & their current project, she is great at that. Unlike dumb & dumber who told the person all they read off the blue card & said, right??

• Love 5

The only issue I seeing w/that would be that I can't see Whoopi staying silent if this was her graceful exit out. I can't see Whoopi going out gracefully either unless ABC said keep your mouth shut and we will pay out the remainder of your contract. I would think we would have heard of a big blow up where the powers that be laid it on the line for Whoopi and Rosie to play nice or walk.

I wonder if it's something a little more short term. Perhaps Whoopi has been asked to stay away for a few shows (in other words suspended) because of how bad the tension had become before the holidays. If this is the case I could totally see them giving her the out of saying she's sick and I could see why she wouldn't be saying anything publicly if she wants to keep working there. Given how bad that last show was right before their break, I could see where they wouldn't want both women coming right back to the stage together on day one. This way Whoopi can come back in a while and the discussion will be about her health, not about how things were left.

• Love 5

Did they mention in the Cosby discussion that perhaps Phylicia Rashad has a big financial incentive to come out in support of Cosby? (I have no idea what the residuals are, but I imagine they're substantial.) Plus, didn't she suggest that someone doesn't want Cosby's shows on the air? 

• Love 4

I don't believe they mentioned anything about Rashad's The Cosby Show investment, merriebreeze. But that's a very huge possibility. 

Rashad said:

"Forget these women," she said, referencing the now-23 women who have come forward claiming that The Cosby Show actor sexually assaulted them. "What you're seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it's orchestrated."

She said that she believes someone is behind the massacre of Cosby's career and that she doesn't understand why that "someone" would want to destroy "the American family." Their shady intentions have worked, she said, because all of his contracts have been revoked.

http://www.essence.com/2015/01/07/phylicia-rashad-speaks-out-defense-screen-husband-bill-cosby

• Love 1

Mine does that all the time. It cuts straight to the local news for me though.

Yes, same thing happened here in Calgary.

Today it came back for 2 seconds, maybe only 1 second.  It was literally just a blip with Mario dancing around in front of the others and then - poof - gone!

I think the timing of the Phylicia Rashad announcement is suspect. No comment from her for months and then when Keisha is being interviewed because of Celebrity Apprentice and answering questions about Cosby with comments about his charity towards education and she hasn't been in touch with him for years, and, bam, PR comes out of hiding. I think some kind of financial incentive is likely.

• Love 7