Type keyword(s) to search

Battle Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's such fun to see Polly Bergen. Generally everything they do with this show is fun. 

19 Blue Bloods *    1.30 -7.14% 11.35 -1.46%

20 CSI                    1.30 -32.38% 8.26 -16.78%

21 Elementary        1.29 -25.16% 7.47 -15.00%

22 Hawaii Five-0 *  1.26 -10.50% 9.68 -0.36%

23 The Good Wife  1.25 -12.28% 9.93 5.64%

24 Battle Creek       0.84               6.55

This doesn't look so bad for ratings, does it? 

Looks like a fairly steep drop off from The Good Wife but it looks pretty good when compared to the other major networks in the same time slot.

Ratings /Share    Viewers

ABC  Revenge                   0.9/3              3.87
CBS  Battle Creek               0.8/2              6.87
NBC  American Odyssey    0.8/3               4.17

• Love 1

I like the show, but this episode just didn't do it for me.  Of course, Candice Bergen is a star actress, but the writing was abominable.  Everything was cliched, unrealistic,  predictable, or boring.  I look for sly humor in shows like this, and it was totally lacking this time.

I liked it when it looked like the reporter was pushing back against Holly's blackmail/abuse of police process, but of course, he had to cave.

• Love 1

I loved this episode, I didn't know that Candice Bergen was going to be a guest star, so that was an awesome surprise.  

Generally speaking, I like this show, but the one thing I really hate about it is that they're constantly trying to shove the fact that Josh Duhamel is 'incredibly good looking' down my throat.  And you know what?  I don't find him attractive - at all.  It was kind of funny in the first episode, but now it's almost enough to make me stop watching the show.

• Love 4

mjc520, I'm not sure that the first "reporter" was actually a reporter.  After Holly's confrontation with him another reporter describes the man identifying himself as the first reporter as having a "Napoleon complex" because he is a "short guy."  Holly seemed puzzled because the "reporter" she confronted was tall.  Made me wonder who the first "reporter" really was.  I think it might be tied into whatever Milt is doing there (not a spoiler, just pure speculation).

I love this show.  It is witty, tightly written, and well acted.  It reminds me of a much more sophisticated version of "The Mysteries of Laura" on NBC, also a cop show with a few comedic twists.  I certainly hope it survives, if not on CBS, then perhaps on cable.  CBS really hurt the show by scheduling it on a night where the starting time floats around so frequently due to overages in sports programming.  That probably hurts the ratings a lot.

• Love 2

I've got to say - I *loved* this episode! Candice Bergen was great, and I hope we see her more. I think the first reporter was Constance's idea, to find out if Holly was good enough for her son.

• Love 1

Candice Bergen was fun as Russ' mom.  I was amused that she kind of helped everyone else out in her own way, despite being a con woman.  Still, I was glad that Russ outplayed (or out-conned) her at the end.  Also, I knew her lover would be the killer, because, again, they get someone I know to play him (this time, it was the always awesome Chris Mulkey.)

Aww... Holly was so cute trying to be all Big Bad Blackmailer, with the fake reporter.  I do adore her, even if I wished the show would quit dancing around over Russ/Holly being an item.

Ratings-wise, it is stable at least, but I have to think it is likely a goner; at least on CBS.  It still is at the low end of all their shows, and I'm sure CBS will have new shows and everything next fall.  It's just too bad; it's not perfect, but I rather this show sticks around then, say, CSI:Cyber, which has better ratings, and is batshit insane in almost all the worst ways possible.

• Love 2

I will go against the grain and say I hated this episode, hated Candace Bergen overpowering pretty much everything in the episode, the heavy handed writing. Oh, look, Mommy does really love him. Oh look, she's not the killer. Duh! I almost liked the ep for a few minutes when I thought they might actually have the guts to make her the killer. But nope, she loves her son and she's not a bad badguy, she's a good, profound badguy who solves everyone's problems. I really hope she doesn't come back because I won't be able to watch the episodes she's in.

Sorry for the rant. I love this show, so hating this episode really threw me for a loop.

• Love 1
Generally speaking, I like this show, but the one thing I really hate about it is that they're constantly trying to shove the fact that Josh Duhamel is 'incredibly good looking' down my throat.  And you know what?  I don't find him attractive - at all.

Do you mean you don't think he's an attractive person, or you aren't attracted to him? I can acknowledge that he's extremely good looking but wouldn't be drawn to Milt IRL (as portrayed here, anyway). I watched part of the movie When in Rome yesterday and Josh's character there was scruffier with a normal personality and would have been much more appealing to me as a potential romantic interest. You know. If that wasn't a movie and he wasn't married and I wasn't his mother's age.

I seriously doubt that polygraph machines have FALSE blinking on them in 172 pt type.

• Love 2

Do you mean you don't think he's an attractive person, or you aren't attracted to him?

Not the person who you are asking, but, yeah, I don't think he's very good looking--at least not as good looking as Dean Winter. But then I always preferred Napoleon Solo to Ilya Kuriakan (showing-my-age reference).

...I seriously doubt that polygraph machines have FALSE blinking on them in 172 pt type.

Heh.
  • Love 2

Do you mean you don't think he's an attractive person, or you aren't attracted to him? 

I didn't mean to imply that he's hideous or anything, because he obviously isn't, but I don't find him to be all that attractive.  I think he's the third best looking guy on the show.  I think that if you're going to have a running theme that 'this guy is superhot' on a show, you need some sort of Adonis.  I just don't think he is.

Edited to add:  And this is coming from someone who doesn't like to judge appearances on tv, it shouldn't really matter, but the fact that the show is making it matter so much, just bugs the hell out of me.

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 2

I think, though, that he is the stereotypical All American Guy and that is what they are going for. Not that he's the most attractive man in the universe, but that he is what the average 20 something thinks of when they think of the perfect guy. To me he looks like a Ken doll. I think he is very attractive even if he's not my type.

My type is definitely Russ. I find him smokin' hot and would take him over Milt any day of the week. He's just dead sexy. It's the grumbly voice, the attitude, the actual detecting, the stubble.

Of course I also prefer Russ' personality and find his old fashioned deductive reasoning way hotter than Milt's tech, though, I can easily see how the characters on ths show, from a precinct that looks like it can barely earn a living would be dazzled by his expensive suits and cool tech. Basically, Milt is the shiny new  Buzz Lightyear, while Russ is the trusty old Woody. A huge part of Milt's appeal is simply that he's new. I would imagine that the "hero worship" aspect of "OMG he's so good looking" will die down as they get more used to him.

• Love 1

Yeah. "Ridiculously good looking" tall white dude would be Matt Bomer or Ashton Kutcher or half a dozen other guys. I do think Josh Duhamel brings a lot to the character, but I agree with briochetwist that they should stop focusing so much on his good lookingness, because he's really just average for Hollywood. It could be one adjective in a list, but he's more notable for his work ethic, people skills, etc.

A better description for Milt would be, "the guy every mother wants her daughter to marry."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

It's obvious Milt has a secret.  I just hope we learn what it is before the series is cancelled!   I love this show, but I am willing to bet it is one and done! 

I found the dynamic between Russ and his mother a bit corny, but the corny is what I rather like about this show! 

• Love 1

I liked it, but then I have always been a big fan of Candace Bergen, so that helped. Weighing in here on Milt vs. Russ. I'd prefer Milt if only because of his very pleasant personality and "all-American-boy" good looks. Russ is far too grumpy for me. Lighten up dude.

• Love 1

I liked it, but then I have always been a big fan of Candace Bergen, so that helped. Weighing in here on Milt vs. Russ. I'd prefer Milt if only because of his very pleasant personality...

Russ is far too grumpy for me. Lighten up dude.

True. Maybe Milt would look as hot as he's supposed to look if his hair wasn't so plastered down and he had a little bit of beard showing. But at this point it would be a noticeable change, so they'd have to have a reason for it--like going under cover.

I agree that Candace Bergen did a great job in this episode.

I do think Milt is hot in a clean cut way on this show (one of my favorite rom-com movies starring Josh Duhamel was/is Win a Date with Tad Hamilton--shirt off, splitting logs--oh my), while Russ is the scrappy hero trying to figure everything out. Really great dynamic between the two of them. The premise of the show is an interesting switch-up on the buddy concept to me, where the two are competitive but Milt has such a head start (he's the FBI vs the podunk cops, he is gorgeous, he gets the private office and is never wrong, etc.) that it makes it really fun for me watching Russ (who I call "the great Dean Winters" to Mr MML) figuratively chase him as best he can.

If Candice Bergen read the phone book I would watch her. If the great Dean Winters is chiming in with the addresses, I'm in heaven.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2

...(one of my favorite rom-com movies starring Josh Duhamel was/is Win a Date with Tad Hamilton--shirt off, splitting logs--oh my)...

Huh. I didn't recognize him. He seemed a lot hotter then, and not just because it was 10 years ago--he has that little hint of beard and more tousled hair I suggested for Milt upthread. Interestingly, his relationship in the movie with Topher Grace's character is the same as his relationship with Russ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ui3pbJTXE

mjc520, I'm not sure that the first "reporter" was actually a reporter.  After Holly's confrontation with him another reporter describes the man identifying himself as the first reporter as having a "Napoleon complex" because he is a "short guy."  Holly seemed puzzled because the "reporter" she confronted was tall.  Made me wonder who the first "reporter" really was.  I think it might be tied into whatever Milt is doing there (not a spoiler, just pure speculation).

The first reporter was a con-friend of Connie, who hired him to goad Holly into doing whatever she could to defend Russ, because Connie sensed the potential love match and wanted to make sure Holly was good enough for Russ.  He was never a reporter, but it has nothing to do with Milt.

I just loved how everyone said "you conned me!" with such pure indignation, as if they thought they were the only people immune from being conned.  I was laughing every time I heard it by the end.

And I knew it had to be in the trophies!  

• Love 1

Huh. I didn't recognize him. He seemed a lot hotter then, and not just because it was 10 years ago--he has that little hint of beard and more tousled hair I suggested for Milt upthread. Interestingly, his relationship in the movie with Topher Grace's character is the same as his relationship with Russ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ui3pbJTXE

Thanks for posting that! You made my day. Maybe Battle Creek is afraid to unleash the full Josh Duhamel on us :)

• Love 1

I'm bummed.  I had too much fun in the sun during the day and therefore fell asleep in the middle of this.  Now I'll have to use On Demand to watch, and that usually doesn't allow fast forwarding.  I liked what I saw until I slept, which was at least half, if not more (40 minutes, maybe?).

No one can play a condescending bastard like Michael O'Neill can.  Fun seeing him turn up as the Councilman/Guziewicz and Russ' former Commander.  He was such a dick to Russ, but I did like that he was apparently helpful to Guziewicz during her alcoholic times, so he wasn't just a one-dimensional jerk.  Still, he did end up having to apologize, even if he still found a way to get one over Russ, by "forgetting" to thank him.

Milt really is chill, since he didn't seem to give any kind of damn that Danny broke his car window.  Just shrugged it off, and told Russ to try not and get glass in his ass.

Erin and Fontanelle were totally getting invading Holly's privacy by looking into her juvy record, but the reveal that she beat up some kind with a bat (sounded like he did something bad to one of her friends?), did give me a chuckle.  To think, it started out because Erin was concerned for Holly's safety!

• Love 1

I like Russ being a bit rough around the edges, but I found it annoying that he was so nasty to the ME. 

I was surprised Danny's bio mother's killer was some random.  I don't know why, but I thought it was going to end up being Russ' old boss.  I did laugh when he broke his picture at the end and stepped on his face. 

I was wondering what the point of that damned spit cup was. Phlegm and people spitting grosses me out so I had to make that grimace face and use a splayed hand to cover my eyes during that scene.

From Hawkeye to House, I'm a little tired of the rule-breaking protagonist who's so good at his (or her, except I can't think of any) job that his transgressions are continually overlooked. Bonus points if his boss actively abets/covers for his jackassery. I really like the show, but Russ stomping on that photograph was dumb. I'd  like to see further exploration of the reason for the antagonism between Russ and Meredith.

Overall, a pretty dark episode. The sides for Funkhauser were pretty damned short. "Stand in hallway."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

...Erin and Fontanelle were totally getting invading Holly's privacy by looking into her juvy record, but the reveal that she beat up some kind with a bat (sounded like he did something bad to one of her friends?), did give me a chuckle.  To think, it started out because Erin was concerned for Holly's safety!

--which seemed to me to be really motivated by Erin looking for an excuse to get Holly to break it off with the guy to make room for Holly and Russ to get together--but after the bat beating reveal, I think Erin was worried for Russ in the event he and Holly would become an item, heh.

I like Russ being a bit rough around the edges, but I found it annoying that he was so nasty to the ME....

What is up with that? They seem to have a mutual animosity for each other. Is there an episode that explains it that we haven't seen?

I don't know why, but I thought it was going to end up being Russ' old boss.

I thought it'd be him too. The mention that the victims were shot with a SIG handgun was what got me on that path. A SIG is a little high end for a corner drug dealer, and is a common PD issue gun.

--which seemed to me to be really motivated by Erin looking for an excuse to get Holly to break it off with the guy to make room for Holly and Russ to get together--but after the bat beating reveal, I think Erin was worried for Russ in the event he and Holly would become an item, heh.

Which seemed really silly to me.  The story that the old friend told sounded suspiciously like Holly was getting revenge for a potential sexual assault.  (Party, walk, friend was out of school for a week...etc.) I mean, what happened was likely really bad for Holly to go off like that.  Unlikely Russ would do anything that terrible. 

I appreciate that they aren't taking the easy route with the drug addicted son.  I hope he gets his world together but I like the fact that they show some of the stops and starts many addicts take in the road to getting sober for good.  But overall, I didn't love the episode.  It was dark and not as much fun as this show usually is.

That said, I do think this episode contained the funniest moment of the series for me.  It was when they were driving around in Russ's car and Milt attempted to adjust the seat and fell completely backwards. It was so unexpected in this otherwise dark episode that it really worked for me.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

...That said, I do this episode contained the funniest moment of the series for me.  It was when they were driving around in Russ's car and Milt attempted to adjust the seat and fell completely backwards. It was so unexpected in this otherwise dark episode that it really worked for me.

OMG, yes! Thank you for reminding me. Also unexpected because Milt is always so suave and smooth.
  • Love 1

I appreciate that they aren't taking the easy route with the drug addicted son.  I hope he gets his world together but I like the fact that they show some of the stops and starts many addicts take in the road to getting sober for good.  But overall, I didn't love the episode.  It was dark and not as much fun as this show usually is.

That said, I do think this episode contained the funniest moment of the series for me.  It was when they were driving around in Russ's car and Milt attempted to adjust the seat and fell completely backwards. It was so unexpected in this otherwise dark episode that it really worked for me.

I really like how they are handling the son's story so far too.

While the darker tone of this ep took me by surprise, I thought it was well done. Actually, better than a lot of the procedural dramas. The offset humor was less blatant which suited the story. The scene with the Med Examiner (Merideth?) amused me greatly as did the female detective's face and voice saying "it's fine" when Holly was worrying it might be illegal to run a background check on the guy she is dating.

But Milt in Russ' car was unexpected and delightful.

• Love 1

Which seemed really silly to me.  The story that the old friend told sounded suspiciously like Holly was getting revenge for a potential sexual assault.  (Party, walk, friend was out of school for a week...etc.) I mean, what happened was likely really bad for Holly to go off like that.  Unlikely Russ would do anything that terrible.

The way I interpreted it was that Erin was concerned for two reasons about Holly going off on a cruise with a guy she barely knows; first, the Russ angle and second and more importantly, there have been a lot of stories lately about people on cruises disappearing overboard.  I think they were legitimately concerned for Holly's safety.  Then, when she found out that Holly took a baseball bat to some guy who apparently assaulted her friend, Erin realized she didn't need to be concerned for Holly - it was clear that Holly can take care of herself.  I think her comment to Fontanelle was that maybe they should warn the guy to be careful - meaning the guy who invited her on the cruise, not Russ. 

• Love 5

Right at the end, Holly had a conversation with Candace Bergen's character which made it clear that the "reporter" was someone she hired to see if Holly had her son's back. Which kind of answered the question about whether his mom, in her skewed way, actually loves him, so I think they should have hung a lampshade on it rather than throw it away at a time when people were probably heading for the bathroom before the next show.

I'm really liking this show, so am anticipating it getting cancelled any time now.

Thought they did a great job incorporating all the cast this ep. I find I really like all of them too. And I love the ME.

The only thing I don't care for is how much of each show is people talking to Russ or Holly about the other one. They've really failed to build up any real tension there.

• Love 2

I'm really liking this show, so am anticipating it getting cancelled any time now.

Thought they did a great job incorporating all the cast this ep. I find I really like all of them too. And I love the ME.

The only thing I don't care for is how much of each show is people talking to Russ or Holly about the other one. They've really failed to build up any real tension there.

I too find this show very watchable.

My problems with the Russ and/or/not Holly arc really came to a head with their last scene in this episode when I found myself wondering why Holly hasn't ever asked Russ to get lunch with her?

• Love 3

My problems with the Russ and/or/not Holly arc really came to a head with their last scene in this episode when I found myself wondering why Holly hasn't ever asked Russ to get lunch with her?

Right, I had the same reaction. Obviously he is interested in her but is tangled up somehow. Now that she knows he is interested, what is to stop her from asking him? This isn't 1890. It's an off-note in an otherwise terrific (and therefore probably soon to be cancelled) show.

Other notes: I missed how they knew about the boat. Font's wife is gorgeous wow.

• Love 4
(edited)

...I missed how they knew about the boat. Font's wife is gorgeous wow....

Right after (mostly) Russ convinced the accomplice that the perp was a manipulative, cop-killing criminal rather than Robin Hood, they cut to the boat scene, which I thought nicely showed that the young cop gave up info without wasting time on exposition.

Also, Font's wife was surprisingly beautiful, which was appropriately acknowleged by Font immediately stating that fact when he saw her when he woke up.

Both of these seem like details that would come from a team that shares Vince Gilligan's vision.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Another plus: Guziewicz giving Font leeway to pursue the case thanks to her experience with his 'talent', and sorting out her troops when they got out of the freezer. Efficient, no nonsense, no blaming. She's a terrific boss.

• Love 5

I thought that this show had already been cancelled, and they were just showing the remaining episodes.  Whoops!  

I just have a hard time believing that someone with Russ's personality would have any problems asking Holly out.  Maybe we're going to find out that he's afraid of ruining the dynamic that they have now, or he was badly hurt from his last relationship, or something.  Of course, there's also all of the issues he has stemming from his mother...

I thought that the scene with shrapnel sticking out of the back of Font's head was supposed to be played for laughs, and then the poor guy almost died!  

• Love 1

Really enjoyed getting to see Font front and center and even getting a glimpse of his personal life (lucky Font: his wife is gorgeous and seems like a cool person), and I thought the case did a good job incorporating everyone.  Especially liked that Russ seemed to play big parts in solving it, and they didn't seem to rely too much on Milt heroically saving the day.

Can't say the same for Russ/Holly though.  They really taking the worst "will they or won't they?" troupes, when it comes to this story-line.  Russ' excuses are mainly bullshit and if he's going to stick with it, he needs to quit pining.  At the same time, it is 2015, so Holly could easily make the first move, but doesn't, despite showing interest in him.  If she does and he still acts silly, then drop it.  But this is just dumb.  And Milt trying to play matchmaker was a waste of his time.

• Love 2

This has become a favorite of mine.  I've always liked both lead actors, and I think the show is taking them in interesting directions instead of sticking rigidly with cookie-cutter rough around the edges detective and straight as an arrow FBI guy.  Instead they're kind of playing with those tropes, at least as I see it, and there's kind of a playful tone to the whole thing as opposed to, say, Law & Order (any iteration).  I was interested when both this one and Backstrom started with similar premises, but Backstrom doesn't hold my interest at all. The main cast in Battle Creek is good, the supporting cast is good, the story lines have been good -- so much better than at least 90% of the crap that fills the schedule, in my opinion.  But it's just an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. :-)  I'm hoping the comments here mean it's back next year - ?  

• Love 5

I don't know if it will be back, Calamity Jane.  I have seen some reports that Battle Creek is one of those bubble shows and will probabIy be cancelled. Personally  I am puzzled by its lack of success.  The cast is so good and seem to have a nice easy ensemble chemistry.  I agree that the Russ/Holly storyline can go away now but I do enjoy everything else about the show.

• Love 2