Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

RE: The Good Liar

Maybe I'm too used to cross/double-cross stories but I'm not convinced that movie is just going to be about Ian McKellan taking advantage of poor Helen Mirren. I suspect she's got some tricks. (See: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Simple Favor) I liked the beginning of the trailer because I think he would do a good job playing a crook, magician, spy, etc. But the histrionics towards the end just seem tedious.

RE: In Fabric

Definitely has an older movie vibe. Like 60's/70's. Could be good. Could be wretched. Hard to say from the trailer. Stylized movies are all about the execution. It could be campy but artistic or it could be pretentious nonsense. I wonder how they'll maintain the drama. It seems pretty clear that when all the craziness started, she'd just throw away the dress. It's not like a story where the evil thing is your child or even your car or something you'd think twice about before ditching. If the dress doesn't reappear when she gets rid of it and stuff like that but she just hangs onto it in spite of all the craziness, she's just going to seem like an idiot.

RE: The Kitchen

They sold me with Will Swenson. I'll watch it on Netflix at some point. But it doesn't look good. If I followed the trailer, it seems like their husbands are involved in the mob and when they go to jail, their wives take over. And it's being sold as empowering. But also, they're very much committing crimes. It's confusingly got a 70's Scorsese vibe but with a girlpower twist that doesn't fit with the fact that they are very much in charge of a horrible operation. Usually when women are criminals they're taking vengeance or thieves but you never get a sense of them hurting people who can't afford to take the financial loss. The characters seem unsympathetic and unlikable characters are fine but only if the movie recognizes that. It doesn't work if the movie thinks we're rooting for them just because they're women. The fact that it's based on a comic book is mildly intriguing.

RE: Official Secrets

Looks like a thriller but with the cast, it seems like it wants to be a potential awards contender. Looks really boring.

RE: Driven

For the kind of real life/comedy movie it's trying to be, it doesn't look fun enough. Also, I love Lee Pace but he seems too young and attractive for this part. It looks like they threw a wig on him and called it a day.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:52 PM, Luckylyn said:

Top Gun Maverick 

I laughed out loud when I saw the shot of shirtless men doing sports.

I'm impressed out how Tom Cruise has made a career out of getting studios to produce movies featuring cool shit he wants to do. Backseat in a fighter jet, run around outside the tallest building in the world etc.

(I wonder how much more it costs to insure his movies.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I laughed out loud when I saw the shot of shirtless men doing sports.

I'm impressed out how Tom Cruise has made a career out of getting studios to produce movies featuring cool shit he wants to do. Backseat in a fighter jet, run around outside the tallest building in the world etc.

(I wonder how much more it costs to insure his movies.)

I heard Tom Cruise got the insurance provider for Ghost Protocol fired because they wouldn’t give him clearance for one of the stunts. I think it was when he’s scaling the side of the building.   So to keep Tom happy the studio found a new insurance company which is unusual because usually the insurance company is the final word.  When Tom Cruise wants to do a stunt he does it or else.  I can’t figure out if it’s bravery or ego but it gives audiences great stunts to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am so torn by  Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood .   I remember reading that magazine article. I was with my husband when he was getting a haircut and saw the magazine, and my initial thought was, “Please don’t ruin my childhood!” I read it with trepidation and cried at the end. Seeing his wife/girlfriend say the same thing in the trailer makes me smile.

I love Tom Hanks, but I’m not sure he’s pulling it off here just from the little I’ve seen in the trailer. He’s got a little Forrest Gump vibe to him. Mr. Rogers was so incredibly pure and authentic; I don’t know that anyone can pretend to be like him without it seeming forced or manipulative or an act.

I want this to be so good, but my expectations may be unfairly high.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Luca Guadagnino, director of Call Me By Your Name, is making an all-girl version of Lord of the Flies.

Now they're saying it will be a more contemporary take on the novel which may not be an all-girl version.  An all-girl version could be interesting to see how women descend into savagery.  Or it could be a straight up exploitation film.

Ok, it might just be that I love Melanie Scrofano from Wynonna Earp and Kristen Brunn from Orphan Black and just want to see them on the big screen, but Ready or Not looks like it might be really fun.  And I'm not usually a big horror movie person.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Eddie Murphy comeback, Part Deux?:

Eddie's good, but he just seems like Eddie, which probably works here. I was actually more impressed with Wesley Snipes. So...cautiously optimistic?

Is he in the Coming to America reboot?

• Love 1

RE: Dolemite is my name

GODDAMN that cast though. Every time a new face appeared on screen I was like, are you serious? The script might hold it back but I'm excited for the performances. 100% want to see this and I don't say that often these days.

• Love 2

RE: The Goldfinch 

I read most of it. It's a very long book. It's about what you think it's about and then suddenly you're hanging out in Las Vegas with this weird kid for what feels like forever. I'm not sure it should be adapted into a movie but I'm even more uncertain about the style they've adopted. I think this maybe works as a very stylized movie in the hands of a very specific director. This seems like a safe book to screen adaptation when I think they needed someone to make strong choices that could have potentially alienated some fans of the book but resulted in a more interesting final product.

RE: Hustlers

Those eyebrows on Constance Wu are a choice. At least I think that's what's making her look like that. This cast is crazy. They're hiding the specifics of the plot but it looks like a wild ride. I hope it is and it's not just a creatively edited trailer.

RE: Paradise Hills

It looks gorgeous. I can definitely see that the director has experience with fashion magazine shoots without being told. The plot seems like some dumb Alice in Wonderland big conspiracy nonsense. Like, we've seen this movie before and every time it feels like it was pulled out of a high school student's diary.

• Love 1

RE: Them That Follow

Something about religious extremism with horror movie vibes. But at the core of it, it seems to be a love triangle I don't care about. Pass.

RE: Jacob's Ladder

NOPE. Too much horror.

25 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I seriously had to do several double takes because they made Charlize look just like Megyn Kelly. For a hot second I though Megyn was playing herself.

They really did. It wasn’t until the close up when I could sort of tell it was Charlize. Amazing when you consider how easily identifiable she usually is. 

New Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne movie, the Aeronauts.

Loosely based on a true story. But here's my issue. To lower the balloon, can't they just turn down the heat? I'm no expert in hot air balloons, but surely that would do something.

Richard Linklater is filming the Broadway musical Merrily We Roll Along, starring Ben Platt, Blake Jenner, and Beanie Feldstein.  The musical takes place over the span of twenty years, so Linklater is going to film it in real time, over twenty years.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:20 AM, Anduin said:

Loosely based on a true story. But here's my issue. To lower the balloon, can't they just turn down the heat? I'm no expert in hot air balloons, but surely that would do something.

The lift in a lot of early balloons was provided by hydrogen. I'm no expert, but it looks like Felicity Jones' character climbs the balloon to fix a vent that would allow them to land.

BTW The dresses her character wears are gorgeous. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, amaranta said:

Separating this one out - The Laundromat.  If it's half as good as the trailer, I'm in.

I like the idea of Netflix giving a director like Soderbergh a shot a whole lot more than their their creative decisions being driven by algorithm.

• Love 1