Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

The more I see the commercials for Desolation of Smaug, the more I want to just sit down and re-watch the 1977 animated Hobbit movie, which managed to tell the ENTIRE FREAKING STORY in 90 minutes in a satisfying and fun way. Having said that, I will probably be forced to go see this by my boyfriend, so I'm already steeling myself for the almost 3 hour event. Mind you, I'm a huge fantasy nerd who loves the LotR movies, so I'm not opposed to fantasy or this world in general.

I'm much more excited to see American Hustle, but sadly I don't live in LA or NYC, and I'm off to Hawaii next week (a.k.a. the last place on earth to get new movies) so I'll have to wait on that.

I'm still getting over how the world decided to pronounce Smaug.

As am I. It is also a new source of amusement in my house as my husband and I repeat the strange pronunciation back and forth any time anyone says it on TV. I mean I suppose it's logical, it isn't spelled "smog" I just always pronounced it that way. 

The more I see the commercials for Desolation of Smaug, the more I want to just sit down and re-watch the 1977 animated Hobbit movie, which managed to tell the ENTIRE FREAKING STORY in 90 minutes in a satisfying and fun way. Having said that, I will probably be forced to go see this by my boyfriend, so I'm already steeling myself for the almost 3 hour event. Mind you, I'm a huge fantasy nerd who loves the LotR movies, so I'm not opposed to fantasy or this world in general. I'm much more excited to see American Hustle, but sadly I don't live in LA or NYC, and I'm off to Hawaii next week (a.k.a. the last place on earth to get new movies) so I'll have to wait on that.

Luckily I live in Los Angeles so I get to see both American Hustle and The Hobbit. :p

As am I. It is also a new source of amusement in my house as my husband and I repeat the strange pronunciation back and forth any time anyone says it on TV. I mean I suppose it's logical, it isn't spelled "smog" I just always pronounced it that way.

I think they just didn't want it to sound like "Smog." But I agree, it sounds kind of stupid.

I'd have to see it again to make sure but didn't the cartoon (which is my only exposure to The Hobbit) pronounce it "smog"? Also is there a better LOTR moment than the Orcs signing "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" from the weird 70s rotoscoped animated movie?

• Love 1

I'd have to see it again to make sure but didn't the cartoon (which is my only exposure to The Hobbit) pronounce it "smog"? Also is there a better LOTR moment than the Orcs signing "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" from the weird 70s rotoscoped animated movie?

Welp, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight. I remember seeing this cartoon as a little kid and being TRAUMATIZED by all the Gollum scenes, to the point where I couldn't even read The Hobbit because I was still too creeped out. And all of it's rushing back now. Thanks, guys.

• Love 1

I probably won't see any. I'm woefully behind on my movie watching, because school keeps me crazy. I need to see Catching Fire still, which I am dying to see. I've never been much of a person for LOTR (I tried to watch one of them and I was so bored), so I don't get the whole thing about The Hobbit. I do kind of want to see American Hustle, though.

I need to watch the Hobbit, but I won't get to it until the weekend. And the Golden Globes make me feel like I have to watch all the important movies I haven't seen, which is going to be an ordeal.

Just got back from American Hustle, which was great. Enjoyed it a lot, and it reminded me greatly of Three Kings. Seeing The Hobbit tomorrow. (Just finished finals, gotta celebrate somehow!)

Cool, I'm hoping to be able to see it when I go home for Christmas next week (also jealous of you finishing finals, I have class right up until the Saturday before Christmas). Was there any particular performances/aspects that stood out?

Cool, I'm hoping to be able to see it when I go home for Christmas next week (also jealous of you finishing finals, I have class right up until the Saturday before Christmas). Was there any particular performances/aspects that stood out?

Absolutely full of standout / great performances. That's kind of what you expect out of a David O. Russell movie. Louis C.K. absolutely killed it in his (relatively brief) parts, though. Also, man is Amy Adams gorgeous. 

What the what?!? Louis CK is in American Hustle? This changes everything! Louis CK negates Bradley "Milton, bro" (TM Tara Ariano) Cooper.

Cosigned! I had almost the same reaction, though I don't have a huge aversion to Cooper the perm he's rocking in this gives me pause, but I'll follow Louis C.K. down whichever rabbit hole he chooses so I'm all in. 

Thought that I would get the ball rolling with this one.

Produced by: Michael Bay

Starring: Megan Fox, William Fichtner, Will Arnett, Whoopi Goldberg, Noel Fisher and Abby Elliott.

I have to admit I had my doubts about this but it looks like good fun. It has the same vibe the first transformers movie had to it only it's a little darker. I like Megan Fox at the moment and I think the overall film looks uncomplicated and enjoyable.

Edited by Chas411

I watched the Interstellar trailer yesterday and my reaction was much like after watching the trailer and a preview scene for Jupiter Ascending: "Oh noes... I was waiting for this, but it just looks embarrassing."

• Love 1
(edited)

Thought that I would get the ball rolling with this one.

I have to admit I had my doubts about this but it looks like good fun. It has the same vibe the first transformers movie had to it only it's a little darker. I like Megan Fox at the moment and I think the overall film looks uncomplicated and enjoyable.

My first thought "Why do the turtles look like Shrek?"  My second thought; "why are members of the Foote Clan carrying semi-automatic weapons, do ninjas carry semi-automatic weapons?"

Not gonna lie .... I am looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

The Kingsmen looked really good, until Samuel L. Jackson showed up. I hope his role is minor, very, very minor.

When I saw the Kingsmen trailer at first I thought it was a take on the Alex Rider books .... I later learned this is based on some comic.

Not impressed by the Lucy trailer in the least ...... and don't get me started on the incorrect pseudo-science "facts" they were spouting.

I am strangely excited for How To Train Your Dragon 2

This movie (Kill The Messenger) isn't coming out until October but it's got Oscar Bait written all over it. I'm something of a Jeremy Renner fan and the trailer debuted today. With all the stuff about Snowden in the news these days its hard not to draw parallels.

(edited)

I don't know why Disney chose to attach a Cinderella teaser instead of a trailer for Into The Woods (which I hope is decent as I really enjoyed the play when I saw it many, many moons ago) to Maleficent

Edited by OakGoblinFly
(edited)

One of the trailers for Edge of Tomorrow.

I'm linking this here because I just saw it twice this weekend (released the 29th where I am for the summer) and Ohmygod it was so great you guys!  Action, drama, quite a bit of humor, a competently paced plot and badass, awesome, beautiful exoskeleton clad Emily Blunt doing badass things with a giant fucking sword.  And if you don't like Tom Cruise, you get to see him dying a LOT.  This was everything I ever wanted in a summer blockbuster, plus the awesome novelties of characters you actually give a shit about and a female lead who is actually completely active in the plot.  And Tom Cruise is the best he's been (barring Len Grossman) in years.

edge-of-tomorrow-emily-blunt-636-380.jpg

It comes out in the US this Friday.  Go and see it!

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 1

I am strangely excited for How To Train Your Dragon 2

I am completely excited & my kids do a happy dance each time they see an ad.

I don't know if I'm hopeful or worried. It's been a few years since I read the book, ok quite a few years. The Giver:

This probably isn't new but I don't know if it's been released?

I think it marks James Galdofini's final appearance in a film. It has a great case - Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace but for someone reason I'm not really loving it. I'm terrified something will happen to that poor dog for a start. Also, Hardy's American accent is putting me off. He did the same type accent in Warrior and I didn't buy it in that either.

The guy who plays the younger James Marsden in that The Best of Me looks like a 30-year-old high school kid.

I don't watch "Mike and Molly", but I've grown to love Melissa McCarthy.  So long as she doesn't turn into an anti-vaxxer like her cousin Jenny.

Robert Downey, Jr.'s first film from his new production company.  Here's what he writes about it:

Susan and I are delighted that this wound up being the first movie produced through our Team Downey production company at Warner Bros. It’s a drama with lots of heart and wit.... might be the best thing I've been part of yet...beginner’s luck, perhaps.

An original story from our director, David Dobkin, it’s a modern tale of conflict, judgment, death, regret, irony, family dysfunction, hilarity, and of course, unconditional love. When a miserable hotshot Chicago lawyer returns home to a small town in Indiana for his mother’s funeral, he is forced to deal with a lifetime at odds with his legendarily stoic superior court justice father (aka The Judge).

What could possibly go wrong? Shame and secrets, old flames and...murder perhaps?

Again, thanks for your patronage; I'll keep trying to make things interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ezAhyqg06kI

I think it looks great. 

Does anyone else think TV spots for Deliver Us From Evil make it look like it's a parody? Every time I see one I half expect a Wayans brother to jump out and make jokes about black people not being afraid of ghosts. 

Synopsis: The story of seven college friends who reunite over a three-day weekend, after one of them attempts suicide. When the friends get together to keep an eye on Alex, the weekend that ensues will renew old crushes and resentments, shine light on bad decisions, and ultimately push friendships and relationships to the brink as the group tries to speculate when the simple life of their college years turned so muddy and complex. Sometimes irreverent, sometimes poetic, and always moving, About Alex is a searingly honest look at the changing nature of adult friendship in the Facebook/Twitter generation.

Stars: Max Greenfield, Aubrey Plaza, Maggie Grace, Jane Levy, Jason Ritter, Max Minghella and Nate Parker

I think this looks decent. If anything I'd be interested to see Max Greenfield break away from his New Girl persona.