Type keyword(s) to search

Mike Tyson Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I would've bet Deezy's cat would get killed.

I'm glad that didn't happen.  It sadly was the only one I would have gotten upset over.  I did love it calling Dezzy and Dezzy puzzling out where they were. 

I overall didn't care much for the episode.  It's a shame because they had gotten into a real groove last season after being a fairly inconsistent show season 1.  Next week looks funny though. 

Obligatory check to see if anybody out there is watching. As usual, the series leans absurd and dark as hell. Especially the one where the team buys a desk with love notes in a desk, and they present them to the widow they got them from. Only her husband wasn't writing those to her, but another woman. And the widow drops dead of a heart attack. So they track down the lady who was supposed to get those. It turns out tha she was a KGB agent, and her "lover" was her handler. And the last note had poison on it that disintegrated her into goo. But not before her extended family sang "Happy Birthday" to her. Also: an episode merging the legend of Excalibur and bass fishing.

It's weird . . . the team's characterization is paper-thin (Mike's a dumbass, Marquis won't come out of the closet, Pigeon is basically a Norm MacDonald character, Yung Hee is the sane one), it's still oddly compelling. But the bits with Trevor Berbick are dark as fuck. I looked it up . . . he wound up committing suicide in real life, and the show brought him back as an easily-dismissed ghost.

Eh, I haven't enjoyed this last batch of episodes.  The weird stuff has been interesting but I'm starting to think that the problem might actually be Mike Tyson.  Oblivious is one thing but it's gotten more annoying than anything else (plus his antics seem to be eating up most of the running time which seems to leave little time for anything else).   Like this week's episode.  If they spent more time with the mystery, then it might have been good.  But instead a good chunk of the running time was Mike on the phone with Dezzy while everyone else waited.  As for last week's the whole bass fishing/Excalibur stuff was really good.  

• Love 1

I'm okay with the tangents and the dark humor, though I know it can be bothersome. I did like the latest episode, where Pigeon gets messed up, heals, learns to fly, and saves the team from a murderer. And he flies back home . . . but he doesn't see the hawk. And he's back in the hospital. And Mike is contemplating having him put down.

Also, Marcus has a boyfriend poker buddy. Okay, then. I'd like to see his backstory. Isn't the guy he's based on the man that invented the "civilized" rules for boxing?

ETA: Also funny . .. the part in "A Plaintive Wail" where Mike gets new shoes for free by posing for pictures. The simulated glove under the chin was funny, but then he had to do the ear-munching motion. Remember when we thought he was the biggest psycho on the planet?

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm okay with the tangents and the dark humor, though I know it can be bothersome. I did like the latest episode, where Pigeon gets messed up, heals, learns to fly, and saves the team from a murderer. And he flies back home . . . but he doesn't see the hawk. And he's back in the hospital. And Mike is contemplating having him put down.

Also, Marcus has a boyfriend poker buddy. Okay, then. I'd like to see his backstory. Isn't the guy he's based on the man that invented the "civilized" rules for boxing?

That was a good episode.  I wonder about Marcus's poker buddy too.   Poor Pigeon!

ETA: Marquis of Queensbury?

Edited by Brattinella

I'm watching this show via on demand, when I remember to watch. I used to be awake for the repeat Monday morning but I'm not staying up after feeding the cat for one ep on adult swim! I laughed at the twisted absurdity of the love letters ep and the competitive fishermen ep and just saw the one in which the husband lost his wedding ring.

Catching up. Gotta love the latest episode . . . the Team gets trapped in an elevator with a naked old man with a huge erection. To pass the team, they reminisce about their favorite mysteries . . . and, as luck would have it, they were all shown in the opening credits. Then the codger reveals the times Mike wrecked his life . . . including the time that he was helping rob a bank, Marquess phased through a wall to scare them . . .. then spent twenty minutes posing in front of the mirror. Very meta episode.

• Love 1

The Mystery Team goes to great lengths to get a girl's wish granted . . . which turned out to be her daddy breaking out of prison. He joins his wife in going back to cooking meth, and their blow themselves up. And the girl is adopted by deer, because their child was run over by Marcus (is that how it's spelled?) trying to enter the magical land to get her original wish granted. Also, Pigeon continues to be an asshole pigeon.

Speaking of our favorite asshole bird with the troubled bird asshole . . .  I saw this trailer for Will Smith's CGI movie, and I immediately thought of MTM. Not too weird of me, right?

58 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I didn't know there were new eps, but I am going to catch up via On Demand.

I believe the new season has rolled out six episodes so far, thanks to [as] putting out 15-minute episodes of shows two at a time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I believe the new season has rolled out six episodes so far, thanks to [as] putting out 15-minute episodes of shows two at a time.

Eight episodes, I believe there will be ten total. 

S4, Ep1 Time to Fly
When a very rich, very old man vanishes, everyone suspects his very young, very hot wife.

S4, Ep2 Make a Wish and Blow
To make a little girl's wish come true, the team must visit the Wishing Well in Fantasy Forest.

S4, Ep3 The Bucket List
Mike has a No. 1 item on his bucket list.

S4, Ep4 The Missing Package
Sometimes it's not as easy as ordering online.

S4, Ep5 Pits and Peaks
The team shares their highs and lows of the day around the dinner table, but they also go to Scotland.

S4, Ep6 The Monahans and MacGoverns
Star-crossed young lovers from feuding families ask the team for help.

S4, Ep7 The Death of Lyle Victor Linkus

S4, Ep8 San Juan Puerto Rico Blows, but San Juan Capistrano...

• Love 1

Checking to see if anyone watched the Christmas episode. I think I liked the other one better . . . with the gang entering a comatose woman's dreams, and finding that she wanted to get railed by her stepson. The new one? Mistaken identity that leads to Marques having to kill a guy in self-defense. The whole "But isn't he a ghost?" thing hang in the air, but I;m thinking we're better off not knowing the logistics of Marques' existence.

There are some AS series where I wonder why they air them. MTM is one of them. Like I've said, the absurdity is pretty choice, and one recent episode might have opened up new plotlines, but it's still "meh" a lot of the time. Of course, few things beat an old man thinking Marcus is his deceased wife, while Deezy's dumb ass is hanging from the roof, begging a little girl to get help.

The episode in question?

Spoiler

Basically, Pigeon thinks he's dying, so he goes out to meet the son he never met. Turns out there were twins, and the less-attractive one . . . got sent by the mother to Mike Tyson for him to raise. Pigeon/Richard is Yung Hee's father. Between the lewd remarks he makes towards her and her getting heated up seeing him back when he was human, that is quite the baller move. And Yung Hee doesn't know about the twin, and you just know she's gonna try and hook up with him while Pigeon dry heaves in a corner.

There are a lot of Adult Swim series where I wonder why they’re still running. MTM is one of those.

I dunno . . . the absurdity and occasional breaking of the fourth wall is funny, but it just seems . . . meh.

The series in a nutshell: “A little birdie told me you were down here. Also, a ghost and a Chinese girl and Mike Tyson.” Pan out to show MTMT waving.