Type keyword(s) to search

Mike Tyson Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Judging from this trailer, I think the show is an unholy cross between Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Black Dynamite and The Venture Bros. Especially the latter, which takes its sweet time coming back from hiatus. I'm not sure how far MTM can fly, but it should be interesting to see either way.

I know the obvious one is Scooby Doo, but I see a crapload of the Mr. T Cartoon as well (except it's doing a parody of the Mr. T show rather than copying straight out).

That said, Mr. T itself was Scooby derived.

You know, now that I think on it, it's not so much Mr. T the Toon it's working off of, it's the TV Funhouse parody of the Mr. T cartoon.

https://screen.yahoo.com/tv-funhouse-adventures-mr-t-000000629.html

And (although I never heard of it until today) apparently there's this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSL2ED-JrWE

Mostly just links to the trailer at this point, but in some unusual media outlets that normally wouldn't cover something at Comicon.

Washington Post Blogs: Mike Tyson's animated show looks about as nutty as you'd want it to be
Sports Illustrated: Mike Tyson's new cartoon looks absurd 
The Sporting News: Mike Tyson to solve mysteries in new cartoon show

And with a bit more detail than the others about what actually went down at Comicon

AP (via ABC): Mike Tyson Gets a Standing Ovation at Comic-Con
Bleeding Cool: The Can’t Miss Panel Of This SDCC Was Mike Tyson Mysteries

I should probably let it slide and keep mouth shut--but... Yeah, just pile money on felons and thugs; the American Way! I think this is disgusting and obscene to enrich that POS. The blood boils.... Maybe if he is shown without an ear or gets beaten up several times an episode, it would have some redeeming qualities... JMO I will shut up now.

• Love 1

Heads up . . . the episode runs at 10:30 p.m. for 15 minutes on Adult Swim. Here's the official description:

Cormac McCarthy’s latest novel is unfinished and for some reason he turns to Mike Tyson to help him find the ending. But just as Mike settles in to tackle some of that dense, unflinching McCarthy prose, a Chupacabra attacks! Mike puts down the book and puts up his fists. Buenas noches, Senor Chupacabra.

ETA: That was weird. I vote "no" on Live Action Mike Tyson In Live Action Tracksuit in any capacity. And Norm MacDonald sounds like he's going to choke on scenery.

Heads up . . . the episode runs at 10:30 p.m. for 15 minutes on Adult Swim. Here's the official description:

ETA: That was weird. I vote "no" on Live Action Mike Tyson In Live Action Tracksuit in any capacity. And Norm MacDonald sounds like he's going to choke on scenery.

I suppose I understand their rationale though.  This whole thing is supposed to be a play on the Mr. T cartoon as much as Scooby Doo. And Mr. T did those live action bits.  Also... Bill Cosby.

At the same time, it puts Tyson in our faces a bit too much.  As a cartoon we could disassociate his nastier self a bit.  That's harder when you're actually seeing HIM.

As for Norm?  On some level this is kind of his usual "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Which I personally have always liked about him... but I know it's a minority opinion.

I'm on the fence about the actual content. It seems a bit too self-consciously weird and foul.  Even with such a short episode format they need to ease up a it on that and let the weird seem a bit more organic.

• Love 1

I vote "no" on Live Action Mike Tyson In Live Action Tracksuit in any capacity.

I suppose I understand their rationale though.  This whole thing is supposed to be a play on the Mr. T cartoon. And Mr. T did those live action bits.

You forgot to mention you-know-who also did live action bits during his cartoon.

You better not click on the link, Kromm.

He might just reach out through the computer screen and punch you.

He is just that awesome.

Norm MacDonald sounds like he's going to choke on scenery.

As for Norm?  On some level this is kind of his usual "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Which I personally have always liked about him... but I know it's a minority opinion.

I'm picturing Norm's career continuing its downward descent from crappy movie to crappy TV show to crappy commercial to this as it proceeds into that vast black hole of oblivion.

I admit, I laughed out loud more than once during this show.  I may be in the minority, but Norm MacDonald's delivery cracks me up.  I'm all in on this show.

Norm's delivery has always been highly controversial.  Most other comedians worship him and consider him a comedian's comedian, but I know he's often considered very inaccessible by a lot of casual viewers.

There's a big piece of Live From New York (the book about SNL) about how his stint at the anchor desk totally divided people (and particularly made him a target for Don Ohlmeyer--who didn't get Norm in the least and really went to war against him--not just on SNL but his eventual film career too). Norm projects "I don't give a fuck", but it's intended as a form of sarcastic delivery.  A kind of meta thing. 

And Norm really takes it pretty far.  Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPBwuQKJx4

Someone at a well-known computer company needs Mike's help; a highly publicized chess match between a supercomputer and Garry Kasparov complicates matters.

ETA: Shit . . . Trevor Berbick is dead. Par for the course for [adult swim]. Nice to see that Mike will resort to violence only in rare circumstances.

Mike decides to take a spaceship to the moon after deducing that he is part of a government conspiracy.

Thread should open at 10:45 p.m.

ETA: Mike likes to answer phone survey questions. I guess that makes up for the accidental deaths of astronauts and astronomers. BTW, what does his face tat signify? I might have forgotten.

• Love 1

There's plenty of comparisons/mockery to go around:

• A "team" that goes around solving mysteries of one sort or other (Mystery Inc., et al)

• A celebrity turned into a cartoon and voicing their own character ("The New Scooby Doo Movies")

• A team "logo" or "uniform" (the question mark on Tyson's and Yung Hee's clothes)

• The smart one (Yung Hee, although Marquess qualifies to an extent)  For all intents and purposes she's Velma.

• The ghost/unique member of the team (Marquess is essentially "The Funky Phantom" ).

• "Pigeon" is the team pet (Scooby, Elmo, Elvis, Chu-Chu, Dozer, et al).

• No explanations (as of yet) how this group came together (all we know is that Tyson's daughter was left on his doorstep).  That also is typical of most of HB's teams.

• A customized vehicle of some sort (Mystery Machine, Looney Duney, Speed Buggy, Wonder Wheels).

• Rocking theme song and opening credits showing the team in action (Jonny Quest).

All we're missing is the gang being a band and a laugh track.

Edited by magicdog

Definitely didn't see Big Blue actually being Bobby Fischer coming.  Or the head of the company being a robot. 

I give the ep props for having Yung Lee lose the  match.  So many situations like this often have them winning.

I should probably let it slide and keep mouth shut--but... Yeah, just pile money on felons and thugs; the American Way! I think this is disgusting and obscene to enrich that POS. The blood boils.... Maybe if he is shown without an ear or gets beaten up several times an episode, it would have some redeeming qualities... JMO I will shut up now.

To me he served his time in jail for his crimes, and has the right to try and make a living. If he reoffends I am all for throwing him back in jail? But until then I don't really have a problem with him doing anything within the law. Because really what is the other option, shunning all ex-cons so they can't rejoin society? Plus it is not like he is the only person working in hollywood who has committed a crime. But unlike a lot he was actually convicted and paid his debt to society.

• Love 3

Since we didn't have much movement on individual threads, I thought an all-inclusive topic should be set up, especially since the show is returning on Sunday nights at 11:30 p.m.

ETA: Oops, turns out the season resumes next week. My bad.

Just checking to see if anybody else has been watching the series. The finale aired just now, but it's been renewed. I don't know if we're supposed to be laughing with Mike Tyson or laughing at him. I'd go with "with," because I like breathing.

Yeah, look at Mahhky Mahhk Wahhhlberg for example. Committed some heinous racially motivated violent crimes, barely spent time in jail, and gets to continue on to have a successful Hollywood career. And has the nerve to demand to have his record expunged so he can franchise his crappy restaurant in California.

• Love 1

I'm just catching up, but saw the "Miami (of Ohio) Graduation Speech" episode.  He's definitely in on the joke, because he did things like make reference to his plane ticket saying "Oxford, Ohio" (and the animators did a great job of drawing the Cincinnati airport).  

It's a lot funnier than I thought (not just being nice); Mike Tyson has excellent comic timing, which is not a requirement for a boxing champion.  The supporting cast helps, of course, but the writing is really clever.

Legally, he did his time, but you can still be ethically bothered if you don't think the punishment was fair.  (As an example, you can argue O.J. Simpson, whether he committed murder or not, did not get a fair outcome...either he was under-punished for murder, or over-punished for not being guilty.  It's more complex than that, but back to the topic at hand...) 

I think Mike Tyson did his time, and in the show only seems to be cashing in on being a famous boxer.  You could have dropped in George Foreman or Muhammad Ali and had a similar show, though some of the joke is that Mike Tyson makes questionable decisions. 

The other ethcial issue is that the show promotes helping people, apparently without compensation, saving the (fictional) world, etc.  Even when people act questionably (Richard the Pigeon), there are consequences (being turned into a pgeon, though how much of that was his fault is left unclear.)  It might not be as ethcial as the show it spoofs (Scooby Doo), but the show promotes doing good.  Mining "doing good but doing it badly" for humor is arguably a good cautionary tale, and to me, also ethical. 

That said, you could argue if it weren't for his noteriety, this show would have never been made, so the show is indirectly promoting unethical behavior (you might make that argument better than I did).  Personally, I think it's ethcial to do this show, but it's close to the line...which is what also makes it funny.  (Funny can be good, evil, or indepenent of either.)

Bumping up since the second season started tonight. I didn't  get that many laughs over "What's That Gnoise," though I admit that I was in a shitty mood when I watched it. Also, I think there's more than enough of Norm MacDonald with Last Comic Standing and the KFC commercials.

It was a pretty decent episode.  Last season was very hit or miss (as almost literally every other episode was good, the rest mediocre) so I was hoping this season they would lean towards the better episodes of last season.  I'd say so far it seems like they succeeded.  This episode was far better than any of the duds we got last season, although not quite as good as say Ty-Stunned or House Haunters.

That said, looking forward to next week and hopefully the quality will stay.

Is anybody else a little tired of the inconsistent standards and practices? Sometimes, "shit" gets bleeped, and then it doesn't. It gets irritating.

Also curious to see if anybody else is watching. It's still weird, and most of the show hinges on how much you like Norm MacDonald, as opposed to the lead guy who's done jail time for nasty shit.

I love this show in all its absurd glory. The darkness behind Charlie Rose being a time portal hit the sweet spot between my inner toddler and avid PBS watching inner senior citizen.

Edited by revbfc

Probably my favorite episode this season.  Love the he really did get sucked into the void and the big reveal.  Loved the conversation about backdrops and then sure enough Mike's got NYC in the background at the end.  Oh and the conversation about the track suit which was still funny despite being in the commercials.

Well, this week's is probably one of my favorites for the series.  Just when you think it won't get worse than the dad's secret Nazi room you get Nazi zombie and then in comes the Abominable Snowman.  Love the reaction when they find the dad frozen and Mike's like well good news is you won't have to decide about putting him in a home.  Just that cheery delivery and everyone's reactions to it were hilarious.  As was the WTF ending.  

• Love 1

Lessons learned: If you're going to send a mystery to Mike Tyson, remember to send a backup pigeon in case the first one dies on his way to the coop. Also, it's hella weird being a real-life "Jason B" when the show's title is "Jason B. Sucks."

And the word "shit" is still randomly bleeped. I hate that.

The show likes to go the WTF route . . . similar to The Venture Bros., but in a different, more horrific direction. Like finding out a coma victim wanted to sex up her stepson in a faux Disney backdrop. On the down side, "shit" still gets bleeped and unbleeped. Still annoying.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:14 PM, Lantern7 said:

The show likes to go the WTF route . . . similar to The Venture Bros., but in a different, more horrific direction. Like finding out a coma victim wanted to sex up her stepson in a faux Disney backdrop. On the down side, "shit" still gets bleeped and unbleeped. Still annoying.

I think a lot of these are done just for shock value, which is going to get old fast.

I watch this show (and the Venture Brothers and Rick and Morty) as often as they show them in my area.  I adore Pigeon!  Btw, they don't bleep out "shit" if it is shown later on at night (which is when I get to see them).

• Love 1

Just caught Sunday's episode. Basically, Deezy is a sad man, Neil deGrasse Tyson is Mike's brother, and he was the reason Mike got knocked out by Buster Douglas in 1991. Par for the course, really. I would've bet Deezy's cat would get killed.