Type keyword(s) to search

Dig - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

A few comments on tonight's ep:

I'm getting tired of Peter & Cohen chasing Khalid around and never catching him. Or even getting close.

I hope the "deadly assassin" mentioned above doesn't assinated Avram who is the only one (aside from the cow) who I really like.

Anne Heche's character is the worst head cop ever. How'd she even get the job? I hated the way she just meekly walked out of the ambassador's office.

I really dislike the Ambassador.

Nice to see Cohen's grandfather again because I was confusing him with the old guy in Shiva (?) from last week.

So, Khalid kills that guy in the jeep (the rich guy's guard) & we hear no more about it?

I am the only one who watched tonight?

• Love 3

Close - I think there were three of us.  Not sure how this'll be recorded by the Neilson's.  

I'm amazed at how much this show is the opposite of 'compelling'.  A few random thoughts of my own.

Doesn't Lucius Malfory have a job?  Wasn't there a girl killed?  No interest in tracking down her killer then?  I mean I'm all for jumping right in with the whole 'National Treasure'-type big mystery but ... job?  FBI, wasn't it?  Along those lines, since when can the FBI start flying bullets around to stop a guy who just vandalized an archaeological site?  In a foreign country.  

Oh and a tip for the guy escaping on the motorcycle: dude, you're on a motorcycle, by definition a cross-country vehicle.  They're in a car.  You do the math.

Wasn't there a 'dig' in this show at some point?  I know we've moved on from there but isn't this called 'Dig'?

Have we not seen enough of Avram and the Cow's Slow Travel Adventure?  If the cow is so important, why didn't they just, I dunno, send it Fedex?  The preacher in the New Mexico desert, he's bringing to the table (I suspect) cloning, a large criminal infrastructure, fanatical followers, and a plan that must have taken two decades at least to implement.  The Big Conspiracy couldn't spring for an old DC-3 and a dozen armed mercs to make sure the cow actually gets wherever it needs to be?

Is there anything that says the new temple has to sit on top of the old one?  I mean if they just plan to build it 5 miles outside of town next to a Walmart, nobody is gonna stop them, or probably care much.  Heck, the New Mexico preacher guy, he's got lots of land, plus we have plenty of reliable trucking firms in the US that'll get Avram and his friend delivered safe as you please.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

Close - I think there were three of us.  Not sure how this'll be recorded by the Neilson's.  

I'm amazed at how much this show is the opposite of 'compelling'.

I'm trying to stay with this but it's tough.  I think they needed to tighten up the various story lines sooner.

I watched, but I don't know if I can watch 6 more episodes. If feel as if I'm watching variations of the same episode over and over. I was checking the time 20 minutes in.

When watching a baby cow is the most interesting part of the story, you've got serious problems. At least, for any show that isn't on Animal Planet.

• Love 5

I'm glad this thing is only ten episodes.  I'd like to see more of:

1.  The inner life of the cult.

2.  Avram's back story

3.  An exposition of the historical prophecies

And I'd like to see much less of:

1.  Anne Heche

2.  Dead girl flashbacks

3.  Chase sequences

4.  Gratuitous sex scenes

5. "Thriller" tropes borrowed from Dan Brown. 

It's like they chose to emphasize all the wrong things. 

• Love 6

So who was the hairless guy who showed up near the end, doing the purification rite, and then hovering over the cow?

I did like the parallel scenes of the two groups figuring out the tablet.

We're they deliberately obscuring the Israeli cop's (when you can't remember the name of the second lead, it's bad) boyfriend's face, or do we know who he is?

• Love 1

So who was the hairless guy who showed up near the end, doing the purification rite, and then hovering over the cow?

I did like the parallel scenes of the two groups figuring out the tablet.

We're they deliberately obscuring the Israeli cop's (when you can't remember the name of the second lead, it's bad) boyfriend's face, or do we know who he is?

I had the same question.. were we supposed to know who was in bed with the Israeli cop?

I think the guy hovering over the cow was one of the Essenes?

For all the subterfuge, all anyone has to do to stop the entire plan is kill the cow. No need at all to harm Avram or anyone else. It could have been done easily with a sniper bullet before they ever left whatever snow covered wastland they originated in. No red heifer, no temple.

So maybe there's a reason why the Essenes can't kill the cow. Sacred to their doctrine also?

The parallel scenes figuring out the tablet would have worked better for me if I hadn't had to spend part of the sequence figuring out if it was the same old man in both. Why is it so hard to identify and differentiate characters on the screen? Ironically, the only one who actually IS a double for another is the one person we have no trouble recognizing (little boy sociopath) Even if Josh 1 came back, we would STILL be able to tell them apart. Makes no sense.

I agree the show seems to be determined to become a sexy action adventure rather than a complext mystery. They've gone in the wrong direction there for sure!

And speaking of sexy, what's the point of the girl tempting and teasing Avram? Does he have to be pure? Weren't they going to get rid of him anyway? What difference will it make if he gets seduced? It seems like just another way to focus on sex whenever they aren't doing a chase scene.

And while I'm griping... since when does the head of an FBI agency in a foreign country (or at the least, the head of an investigative group) answer to the US ambassador to that country? Work in conjunction, yes. Take the political position of into consideration, yes. Cowtow in a totally meek and subservient fashion? Can we PLEASE just get rid of Anne Heche's character? None of her acting or characterization choices make any sense.

Yeah, ok, I'm still bugged by her glasses. They just add to the meek, "little girl" image. How did this woman ever get into a position of authority?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3

And speaking of sexy, what's the point of the girl tempting and teasing Avram? Does he have to be pure? Weren't they going to get rid of him anyway? What difference will it make if he gets seduced? It seems like just another way to focus on sex whenever they aren't doing a chase scene.

I think it was just to show that Avram got distracted and then momentarily forgot his faith and his mission. I was worried for the calf during that dancing scene, and was happy when Avram had his realization and ran off.

I thought the reveal of Cohen being gay was well done, because I was not expecting it to be a man laying next to him. You could kind of see his face, so I don't think they were hiding him on purpose, and he didn't look familiar to me.

I was cheering on Debbie's ex-boyfriend, especially when he wasn't believing any of the sect's lies. But then I guess he believed them and drove off. But I got the impression when he found her ring that he might go back. I hope she escapes!

I'm still confused on the whole mission and the rebuilding of the temple. Do they have to sacrifice the calf and then rebuild the temple where they sacrificed it? Won't people notice they're building it, or is it being built in the caves behind the brick wall?

• Love 1

I liked it. I really liked Charlie and how he came looking for Debbie, even though he said that he wouldn't. Josh2.0, is EVIL. It felt like Survivor and there was a tie at tribal counciland Josh2.0 was picking a rock. Un oh, no one wants the purple rock of death. I like how we are figuring out a little at a time. I agree that the reveal about the Israeli cop being gay was very well done. I agree about Avram. He is really the pure one, not evil Josh. 

• Love 1

Henri, thanks, that's pretty funny. And kind of sad. Good question about Malfoy.

Meep, I could see his face, but couldn't identify him. Which isn't saying much as I still don't know most of the characters' names.

But Slothgirl, this show isn't working as a sexy adventure either. Anne Heche's character is useless. She's added nothing to the plot or story. Who cares if Peter is sleeping with the boss? Not part of the story.

Thank you all for posting. It's good not to be here alone. I'm in for the long haul so I hope you all will stick it out too.

• Love 3
I hope the "deadly assassin" mentioned above doesn't assinated Avram who is the only one (aside from the cow) who I really like.

Nice to see Cohen's grandfather again because I was confusing him with the old guy in Shiva (?) from last week.

I was thinking the whole time that I like Avram and the cow more than any other characters!  I will be seriously pissed if anything happens to them.  Is the guy who is after them the same one who shot at them before the boat ride? 

For some reason, I'm struggling with telling some actors apart in this show, which is making it harder to follow the plot.

Also, I'm wondering if Golan being gay will actually matter in the plot...

• Love 3

Nara, yeah, me too. I kind of would enjoy a story about just Avram and his travels with the cow & his budding sexuality (Avram's, not the cow's).

Interesting whether Cohen being gay will have anything to do with anything. Or is his name Golan? I've been referring to him as Israeli cop. Having a really hard time remembering names & some of the actors. Don't know if the bald naked guy was one the who shot at Avram and the other guy.

Just another couple of mysteries...I think the main problem with this show is that they have confused quantity with quality.

• Love 2
I'm getting tired of Peter & Cohen chasing Khalid around and never catching him. Or even getting close.

This is bothering me more than anything in this show. It's gotten absurd. I was thrilled when Peter shot Khalid in the leg -- so it would end the chase -- but of course he got away again. I know they need to complete the breastplate to continue the story and have the bigger confrontation later, but please stop the failed-chase device.

Otherwise, I'm still fairly interested. I appreciated that they explained some of the prophecy information. It almost made the Essenes seem like the good guys, trying to prevent a world war by preventing the rebuilding of the temple, violent means notwithstanding. 

Is there anything that says the new temple has to sit on top of the old one?

Yes. I think the point is that this particular spot is considered the most holy place on Earth. The problem comes from different religious groups wanting to claim rights to it, which is why it would start a war if one started building there. (If my interpretation is wrong, someone please correct me.)

Really liked Debbie's ex-boyfriend coming for her despite dismissing her on the phone. I hope he does go back to the compound.

I liked the way they revealed Cohen's partner.

Justme, yeah, I was excited too when Khalid got shot in the leg. Finally, I thought. I guess they'll be chasing him until the last episode.

I'm also tired of the goings on (or not much goings on) at the compound in New Mexico. But these are exactly the kind of religious crackpots that make my blood boil. I'm looking forward to them moving out and meeting the rest of the cast.

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me who got Avram started with the cow? I know there were all these rabbis, but how are they connected/who are they connected to? Or don't we know yet?

Edited by kat165

I've finally caught up.  I stopped watching 1/2 way through the pilot because I was trying to multi-task and not giving DIG the right amount of attention. Hesitated about watching after reading the early forum responses to the pilot, but what can I say other than Jason Isaacs.

Having just re-watched Jason Isaacs in Case Histories (brilliant! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748888/reference) I decided to binge watch DIG to catch up.

So, here's my take,not just on this episode (sorry moderator!):

1. Bald guy is the Essine that ambushed Avram/Cow/other guy in Norway.  He's part of that desert cult. Obviously from this episode, he cannot kill the cow yet -- he needs to wait for a phase of the moon.  It remains to be seen if he's also there to get Avram.

2. Golan's partner is also a police officer -- I think he's the guy who appears as a gofer with faxes, files etc.  I'm also suspecting he's giving info to the 'enemy' (ref car accident)

3. I think Emma Wilson deliberately dyed her hair to look like the dead daughter.  Nothing she did is looking like coincidence at this point.  She made sure he saw the lamb sacrifice ritual in the cave and oh look, where they were perched to witness that, the next day is suddenly bricked over... Oh, and she planted the stone/jewel to set him to his task.  It remains to be seen which faction she is/was part of.

4. I still can't figure out the tie with the Norwegian middle-of-nowhere guy and the Orthodox Jewish guys who turned up en masse, Oh well... moving right along

So, that's my take on plot points raised in this episode thread.  

I'm enjoying the show (I think binge watching helped establish continuity) but I agree it is hard to quickly figure out who is who at times but they are using colors and textiles to help if you clue into that.  Can't agree more that the Ann Heche character is a waste (never cared for her as an actor anyway).  The ambassador is interesting but a bit of the absolute power corrupts absolutely trope IMO.   The New Mexico nutcase/sect makes me despair at people's gullibility: I'm not sure what role Debbie has to play here other than as a small voice of reason who will continue to lack credibility as an ex-addict.  I too was delighted that BoyFriend turned up (and I know he won't go quietly: he has to end up as Debbie's savior IMO).  Count me in with the Josh/Damian vibe -- what a prize manipulator that kid is.   Oh, and yeah, I need them to catch the bad guy: I'm exhausted by all the running (it makes me remember David Tennant's comment once about Dr Who involving lots and lots of running during his stint).

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.  I'm glad it's a one off too.

edited to correct Wilson

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 3

DH, nice rundown. Especially the part about Emma's haircolor & the Golen's bed partner being a cop whose informing to the enemy. Like that theory.

Thanks for sussing out who that bald naked guy is.

Nice analysis. Glad to have you join in the conversation.

Good catch about the colors. Although, off the top of my head, the only one I'm getting is the very blue whiteness of the desert gang as opposed to the sand tones of elsewhere. What else are you seeing?

Re the colors: I'm thinking of the Uncle and the rabbi who are the ones confusing most folks:  Uncle is in shirtsleeves, plain yamuka (sp), rabbi seems to be wearing a particular woven pattern thingy.  They are obviously same generation, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out they attended the same religious classes as peers so they will represent the good guys and the bad guys (ie both sides have equal knowledge).

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 1

Interesting whether Cohen being gay will have anything to do with anything. Or is his name Golan? I've been referring to him as Israeli cop. Having a really hard time remembering names & some of the actors. Don't know if the bald naked guy was one the who shot at Avram and the other guy.

I think his name is Golan Cohen, but I just think of him as Israeli guy. 

• Love 2

I've finally caught up.  I stopped watching 1/2 way through the pilot because I was trying to multi-task and not giving DIG the right amount of attention. Hesitated about watching after reading the early forum responses to the pilot, but what can I say other than Jason Isaacs.

Having just re-watched Jason Isaacs in Case Histories (brilliant! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748888/reference) I decided to binge watch DIG to catch up.

So, here's my take,not just on this episode (sorry moderator!):

1. Bald guy is the Essine that ambushed Avram/Cow/other guy in Norway.  He's part of that desert cult. Obviously from this episode, he cannot kill the cow yet -- he needs to wait for a phase of the moon.  It remains to be seen if he's also there to get Avram.

2. Golan's partner is also a police officer -- I think he's the guy who appears as a gofer with faxes, files etc.  I'm also suspecting he's giving info to the 'enemy' (ref car accident)

3. I think Emma Watson deliberately dyed her hair to look like the dead daughter.  Nothing she did is looking like coincidence at this point.  She made sure he saw the lamb sacrifice ritual in the cave and oh look, where they were perched to witness that, the next day is suddenly bricked over... Oh, and she planted the stone/jewel to set him to his task.  It remains to be seen which faction she is/was part of.

4. I still can't figure out the tie with the Norwegian middle-of-nowhere guy and the Orthodox Jewish guys who turned up en masse, Oh well... moving right along

So, that's my take on plot points raised in this episode thread.  

I'm enjoying the show (I think binge watching helped establish continuity) but I agree it is hard to quickly figure out who is who at times but they are using colors and textiles to help if you clue into that.  Can't agree more that the Ann Heche character is a waste (never cared for her as an actor anyway).  The ambassador is interesting but a bit of the absolute power corrupts absolutely trope IMO.   The New Mexico nutcase/sect makes me despair at people's gullibility: I'm not sure what role Debbie has to play here other than as a small voice of reason who will continue to lack credibility as an ex-addict.  I too was delighted that BoyFriend turned up (and I know he won't go quietly: he has to end up as Debbie's savior IMO).  Count me in with the Josh/Damian vibe -- what a prize manipulator that kid is.   Oh, and yeah, I need them to catch the bad guy: I'm exhausted by all the running (it makes me remember David Tennant's comment once about Dr Who involving lots and lots of running during his stint).

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.  I'm glad it's a one off too.

You're right to focus.  A big part of my problem with the series is that I have been doing other stuff while watching it.

Thanks also for clarifying about the bald guy and letting us know that the Israeli officer's partner is also a cop.  I missed that. 

BTW, I think the girl's name is Emma Wilson (or are you imagining Hermione Granger in the role?), but I agree that she seemed to target him. 

I also had a crackpot theory while watching this episode that all the different threads are actually not happening at the same time.  For example, the Peter Connelly thread is happening years earlier than the Josh thread, and Debbie (Lauren Ambrose) is actually Peter's red haired daughter who is believed to be dead, but just missing and in the compound.  But of course, that could just be the wine. 

• Love 1

(theory) Debbie is actually Peter's red haired daughter who is believed to be dead, but just missing and in the compound.  But of course, that could just be the wine. 

That would make an interesting story, but then wouldn't the boyfriend have gone all "Wait! You're ALIVE?" when she called? And wouldn't he try to reach her parents? I suppose that he could be completely unaware of her family relationships or how to contact them (or not on speaking terms with them) but it does seem like a stretch to me.

I had actually thought (since i got the two older men mixed up) that perhaps the two groups decoding the tablet weren't simulataneous and that there was just one old man playing both sides.

It would really help if they turned up the lights a little bit on this show. I have no trouble distinguishing the New Mexico (Arizona?) crowd because the camera doesn't seem to jump around as much, editing is not as choppy, the scene is more evenly lit (since they are typically in artificial light rather than high-contrast outdoor light) and the characters are fairly distinct: Pretty innocent girl, severe girl, creepy kid, evil cult leader older white dude. (OK.. they're all tropes, but at least you can tell them apart!) Given the tendency of this show to create pointless confusion with identifying characters, I'm surprised they didn't make the cop and boyfriend look-a-likes.

Considering many of those people in the cult are dressed alike, it's amazing how easy it is to create distinct looks when you make an effort through casting. Why didn't they do this for the jerusalem crowd? Most of us aren't accustomed to figuring out who people are based on the pattern of their shirt and the length of the sleeves. What if they change clothes? (speaking of which... I've totally missed out on any timeline going on. How much time passed between the start of the pilot and the end of the most recent ep?)

Maybe I'll be able to understand this show better after eye surgery. ;)

• Love 2

DH, thank you for the hat clue regarding rabbi/uncle. That helps a lot! I also noticed this ep that they don't really look anything a like, but I'm sure I will forget that soon enough! But now I can tell them apart by their headgear. :)

Nara, I like your crackpot theory.

Slothgirl, good luck with your eye surgery, but in the case of Dig I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference.

Finally caught up with the episode. 

I agree with everyone who is over the Peter & Cohen being unable to catch Khalid. Just shoot him in the chest or the head and be done with it! Or a couple of times in the leg if they really had to question him.

Has any of the characters realized that the breastplate is currently in Israeli police custody and it is the next most important thing the Khalid group needs? Why aren't Peter/Cohen putting extra security on it because now that Khalid has found the final stone, they're going to need the breastplate next.

The chatter that Cohen's partner is a cop, has that been verified or is that just something we are guessing? I thought the partner (and him being gay) was only revealed in this episode and if there is more to his partner than what we know, it will be established in later episodes.

Creepy Joshua is really starting to annoy me. He seems crazily robotic and the whole guilty verdict with regards to Debbie seems like such a sham. Whilst we're supposed to buy that he was delivering the verdict based on his newly acquired priesthood status or whatnot, I feel like it's all a sham and Billingham is still the one pulling all the strings.

Question...how the heck did Emma Wilson gather all of the info in her journal with regards to everything? It took Rabbi Lev a while to figure out the key to the metal tablet (and this is a guy whom we're supposed to assume has spent years and years of study and research on this), yet she conveniently had that paper cut-out in her journal.

To be honest, I find the mystery about her more interesting than the overarching one regarding the whole rebuilding the Temple/red heifer/high priest prophecy. The title of the next episode itself has gotten me hella intrigued. I had to re-read it to make sure it wasn't a typo because it's just so...specific.

• Love 1

So, BFF is always right about shows that she thinks I'll love.  Yesterday at brunch she raved about Dig.  Raved, raved, raved.  So, in my over-fed stupor, I waddled home and binged all the episodes thus far.  (Bought them because we don't have cable.)  

Now?  I'm kinda pissed I did that.

This show is so dull.  Too much chasing after Khalid and I don't really care about him anyway.  I really don't care about the breastplate.  I'm loving the kid with the heifer (aww!) and am vaguely interested in the Child of the New Mexico Corn but -- seriously, who DIDN'T know the cop was with the cult?  Only Jilly Kitzinger (tm, Torchwood) didn't know that.  Because the character is brain dead.  (Too many drugs, perhaps?  Except she does have a nice boyfriend.  I like him.)

Edited by Captanne
(edited)

Have we not seen enough of Avram and the Cow's Slow Travel Adventure?

Aww, that's almost the only part of this show I actually find myself caring about.  Especially since JI didn't take off any items of clothing this week.

I perked up a little at the mention of Tel Megiddo, but only because I remember the very significant scenes set there in The Omen - it's where Gregory Peck and David Warner go to find out more about the Antichrist and the prophesied Armageddon.  Great trashy movie, the original.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Aww, that's almost the only part of this show I actually find myself caring about.  Especially since JI didn't take off any items of clothing this week.

I perked up a little at the mention of Tel Megiddo, but only because I remember the very significant scenes set there in The Omen - it's where Gregory Peck and David Warner go to find out more about the Antichrist and the prophesied Armageddon.  Great trashy movie, the original.

Yes--that was my first thought too when they said "Megiddo."  This show is nowhere near as exciting as The Omen. Sadly, the little red calf, everybody's favorite character, is probably doomed.  Too bad a sacrifice of Anne Heche and her giant nerd glasses can't be made in substitution.

• Love 1

To all who have been annoyed by the repeat chase scenes, congratulations!  That will no longer be an issue!

Best part of the episode was Lynn (Anne Heche) and the mob scene.  Quite scary and well acted IMO.  I liked the fact that she landed a solid punch before being taken down.  However, her scenes did not appear to move the story forward, but I hope that I'm wrong.

Now Peter is pretending to be Emma's father?  The creepy factor increases again, but at least this was effective and got him some good info.  Plus, she really did have daddy issues. 

Re: Debbie's escape, is it just me or would it have been better to keep Josh in the car rather than in the trunk.  Hard to hold him hostage when he's in the trunk.  Also, how did her boyfriend sneak in?  I would have thought that the compound would be full of security cameras.  Is it possible they wanted her to escape with Josh?  Can't think why...

Funniest part...Brad's Pit.  Awesome!

• Love 3

I'm guessing the purple stone is a fake too. Oh, this show. I love the obtuse dialogue. It's the X Files at it's worst.  There needs to be more unintentional comedy with the cops: Are you the Rosenbergs? [unison] Yes. 

I have no problem with weird plots that kind of meander. Since this is a miniseries, I assume everything is eventually going to coincide. But they need to dial back on the pretentiousness and portentousness. There needs to be some levity here and there to break it up. 

I actually think when Ann Heche brings the put-upon-ness that her scenes are pretty entertaining. 

I thought the funniest part was when the cabdriver said to Lynn (Heche) about Peter, "Does he want a ride?" And Lynn said, "I already gave him a ride."

Who was he and why was she so upset when he died? Was he Cohen's lover? Some of these characters are so interchangeable.

The 2nd funniest thing is what Nara wrote about about chase scenes no longer being an issue. I wanted to jump for joy when the guy offed himself. I didn't like him on Fringe either.

What did you all think about Emma's drawing, the duplicate on the cave ceiling and the aerial shot of Billinger's compound?

Also, if I was Debbie I wouldn't be taking that little shit with me anywhere. She should have left him behind.

(edited)

Anne Heche's character almost redeamed herself for me when she made that comment about how they were chasing Khalid as though they didn't want to catch him!

Thanks for speaking for the entire viewing audience Anne!

But on another subject.. since when are "sacrifices" expected to sacrifice themselves (except in jihadist terrorism plots)? I've lost track of the religious and ethnic sub-groups, but wasn't he among jews at that point? How is suicide viewed in Judaism? (cause it's the one unforgivable sin in Christianity for which you cannot be absolved)

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

What did you all think about Emma's drawing, the duplicate on the cave ceiling and the aerial shot of Billinger's compound?

Also, if I was Debbie I wouldn't be taking that little shit with me anywhere. She should have left him behind.

I thought the drawing was suppose to be a plan for the new temple, and the NM complex was just built to mirror it.

I think Debbie should have left Josh 2.0 behind also, because now they're going to come after them for sure. I don't know if she took him because she was trying to save him, or stop the group from fulfilling the prophecy.

I was wondering how they would incorporate the singing voice of the actress/singer who plays Emma into the show. Now I know.

• Love 1
(edited)

Question for all three of the remaining viewers - if we can't quite figure out what's going on, how is Lucius Malfoy supposed to?  I mean he's acting like he's onto something BIG but how does he know this?  I mean bigger and deeper than just a bunch of idiots who want to stir up trouble by rebuilding a church, like end-the-world kinda big.  How does he know?

Were it not for the promo monkeys telling me something really important is going on here, I'd have never guessed it.  The ancient artifact which is apparently hugely important - you can just check that out of the police evidence room, there aren't armies of guys and well-funded cabals vying for it.  The super-secure facility cloning the anti-christ (or whatever) - just waltz right on in and out again.  They've got the local sheriff onboard but unless you turn yourself in to him, that's a couple decades of evil end-of-the-world plotting down the drain.

Seriously, Malfoy is THE worst investigator ever.  The archaeologist guy was sleeping with the red-haired chick?  Malfoy will get to the bottom of this!

'Hey, archaeology guy, were you doing the red-haired chick?'

'Yeah, but I didn't kill her.'

'Uh ... okay then.  I got nuthin'.'

Did anyone else grimace when Anne Heche smerked about her sex life to her driver?  I was expecting him to wince and say 'Ugh, please, I just drive car.'

Course he also shoulda said 'Hey, remember that riot I told you about?  I just drove right into it.  I'm reconsidering that decision right now and ... aaagggghh!'

And the local cops?  Not overly interested in violent protests, at least not till somebody gets killed.  That's just Israel, amiright?

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 4

Ugh, I said I would watch this until the end because of Jason Isaacs (especially shirtless and otherwise unclad Jason Isaacs). but this show is awful.  I usually try to make a difference between bad writing and bad writing, but this show has both (except for JI, of course).

Why do they even have the whole thing about the dead daughter?  Unless there is some kind of tie-in (which would be so preposterous as to make even me give up), it has nothing to do with what I assume is the main plot (the rebuilding of the temple).  They really could have just concentrated on making this a National Treasure kind of story, or a thriller (set in an exotic location and with interesting characters (Avram, Red).  Instead this is just a hot mess with soapish elements.

Speaking of soapish elements - what's the point of Ann Heche's character?  I thought she was supposed to be the CIA station chief, or in charge of embassy security or something.  She does no work whatsoever (even when there are important developments going on), allows herself to be pushed around.  She's totally the anti-Carrie.  I guess she's just there to be JI's love interest - that could have been me! 

Yeah, when Debbie and Charlie (the other character, along with JI and Red, whom I like) stuffed Josh in the trunk, allI could think about was that kid was going to be pretty dammed hot.

I could go on, but I might not be able to stop myself ranting. 

• Love 3

I can't figure any of it out. Was the dead driver the boyfriend of the Israeli cop? At least Red is still OK.

I must be a terrible person because I hate that song so much, I figured it was fitting that the people singing it were both dead.

Hooray for Charlie the rescuing ex boyfriend!

• Love 2

I can't figure any of it out. Was the dead driver the boyfriend of the Israeli cop? At least Red is still OK.

I must be a terrible person because I hate that song so much, I figured it was fitting that the people singing it were both dead.

Hooray for Charlie the rescuing ex boyfriend!

Who knows if the driver was the boyfriend - literally everyone in the Israel scenes looks exactly alike..even Jason Isaac blends in....yeesh...

I'm glad Red is ok too, but if he gets to Israel he's dead! So Essene guy is sort of the good guy in a way...

Thanks, Pezgirl, that makes sense.

Henri, so funny, all 3 remaining viewers. :) Speaking of which, does anyone know how this show is doing in the rating?

And Lucious isn't even seeing all that we are. He only has the some of the stuff going on in Jeruselum. He's supposedly trying to solve Emma's murder and is stumbling on all this stuff after she did.

About that protest. I thought I saw guards there, like police riot guys. But they just stood there and did nothing.

Mjc, I can relate. I'm sticking with it just to see where/how it goes. I prefer Lucius with his long blonde locks so he's sort of lost his attraction for me.

I, too, hope the daughter sideline means something and is not just thrown in. How old was she when she committed suicide?

Who knows if the driver was the boyfriend - literally everyone in the Israel scenes looks exactly alike..even Jason Isaac blends in....yeesh...

I'm glad Red is ok too, but if he gets to Israel he's dead! So Essene guy is sort of the good guy in a way...

Really? This would be more suspenseful if I understood any of the rules.

I hope the Essene guy takes Avram and Red to Euro Disney.

(edited)

Ugh, I said I would watch this until the end because of Jason Isaacs (especially shirtless and otherwise unclad Jason Isaacs). but this show is awful.  I usually try to make a difference between bad writing and bad writing, but this show has both (except for JI, of course).

Why do they even have the whole thing about the dead daughter?  Unless there is some kind of tie-in (which would be so preposterous as to make even me give up), it has nothing to do with what I assume is the main plot (the rebuilding of the temple).  They really could have just concentrated on making this a National Treasure kind of story, or a thriller (set in an exotic location and with interesting characters (Avram, Red).  Instead this is just a hot mess with soapish elements.

Speaking of soapish elements - what's the point of Ann Heche's character?  I thought she was supposed to be the CIA station chief, or in charge of embassy security or something.  She does no work whatsoever (even when there are important developments going on), allows herself to be pushed around. 

Frankly, I think the dead daughter trope is just there to create empathy for the Jason Isaacs character.  It ain't working.  As for Anne Heche her only function seems to be to be slipping in and out of the detective's bed.  Totally useless. 

Edited by Gianthambeast
(edited)

Oh, this show.  BFF's rare misfire.  (She recommended it to me and almost always finds the Big Hits -- you know, the ones that suddenly have a  viral fandom that go off like fireworks?  Oh, for example, the X-Files, Veronica Mars and DWTS?  Yeah.  She called those.  This one?  Not a hit.)

First of all, Anne Heche is just now figuring out that her skinny-dipping-with-his-daughter boyfriend is a douche?  I'm sorry for her.  But, that is not so revelatory that I'm going to spend hours watching the television to see the fallout.  

I do like the heifer!  Avram is adorable and the cow is so lovable.  

My confusion this week is that they need a High Priest, right?  (They anvil that in the credits by saying, "We need a high priest" and then running Josh's credit.)  But, this version of Blue Josh (the one without a red shirt* and a bullet through his brain), ran off with Debbie and Wonderful Boyfriend.  Earlier, the Krazy Dezert Kult made a big deal of his feet touching the Earth.  Now, Blue Shirt has run out on the sands of New Mexico -- doesn't that render him useless to them?  Like, "putting down an innocent child you've raised like veal" useless?  It rendered Red Shirt useless -- so why are they still chasing Blue Shirt?  Other than he can tell a wacky Biblical story that only FOX News would believe?  (Because, Christian tabloid.) 

[head desk until someone can explain this, please]

*Red shirt got killed.  Nice Star Trek:  TOS homage!

ETA:  Red Shirt was expendable.  If that heifer dies, I'm out.

Edited by Captanne

Oh, this show.  BFF's rare misfire.  (She recommended it to me and almost always finds the Big Hits -- you know, the ones that suddenly have a  viral fandom that go off like fireworks?  Oh, for example, the X-Files, Veronica Mars and DWTS?  Yeah.  She called those.  This one?  Not a hit.)

First of all, Anne Heche is just now figuring out that her skinny-dipping-with-his-daughter boyfriend is a douche?  I'm sorry for her.  But, that is not so revelatory that I'm going to spend hours watching the television to see the fallout.  

I do like the heifer!  Avram is adorable and the cow is so lovable.  

My confusion this week is that they need a High Priest, right?  (They anvil that in the credits by saying, "We need a high priest" and then running Josh's credit.)  But, this version of Blue Josh (the one without a red shirt* and a bullet through his brain), ran off with Debbie and Wonderful Boyfriend.  Earlier, the Krazy Dezert Kult made a big deal of his feet touching the Earth.  Now, Blue Shirt has run out on the sands of New Mexico -- doesn't that render him useless to them?  Like, "putting down an innocent child you've raised like veal" useless?  It rendered Red Shirt useless -- so why are they still chasing Blue Shirt?  Other than he can tell a wacky Biblical story that only FOX News would believe?  (Because, Christian tabloid.) 

[head desk until someone can explain this, please]

*Red shirt got killed.  Nice Star Trek:  TOS homage!

ETA:  Red Shirt was expendable.  If that heifer dies, I'm out.

Josh only had to keep off the ground until his 13th birthday when he became a man by Jewish rites.  Josh 1.0 missed by 1 day (and the ceremony) but Josh 2.0 is okay to walk on the ground now

• Love 1
(edited)

Gianthambeast, if the daughter is there for trope than it would have worked better if they hadn't alluded to Peter being sexually attracted to her standin. Which is so gross.

Yeah, Heche's big moment was when she shed some tears over that driver who died, the driver who wasn't central to anything.

Captanne, Josh 2.0 was allowed to touch the ground/go outside once they had that ceremony. Remember they took him into town? Thanks, Nara, for the better explanation.

I tried to find the ratings for this show & did manage to find something I totally didn't understand. But they refered to the show as Dig, Season 1. I thought (& hope and still hope) that this was a one time thing.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 2
Gianthambeast, if the daughter is there for trope than it would have worked better if they hadn't alluded to Peter being sexually attracted to her standin. Which is so gross.

Yeah, Heche's big moment was when she shed some tears over that driver who died, the driver who wasn't central to anything.

I still don't get why they had to have the icky moment between Peter and dead daughter doppelganger. It would've made more sense to see him being fatherly and unusually protective of her (as a stranger) before revealing that it's all because she reminds him of his dead daughter.

I don't know if Anne's breakdown over her driver was supposed to humanize her a little? But it didn't make much sense since they didn't spend time establishing that relationship.

• Love 2