Type keyword(s) to search

Dig - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Why did what's his face keep running down the middle of the road and then the steps which that urban assault vehicle racing after him is designed for? He could have run off into the trees at any given moment.

I just wanted to add that to your list.

I have never seen Jason Isaacs before (I take it he's the lead guy) and I'm not impressed.  He's fine.  He's not any great shakes to me.

Edited by Captanne

Oh geez... Our "heroes" continue to be incompetant. facepalm

At least we know that Red and Avram are ok... for now. Although it did seem like Avram was proxy for the viewers when being scolded for thinking of Red as a pet.

This show is TOO DAMN DARK! I have a custom setting on my TV for the brightness WAY up (so bright it washed out other shows and all commercials) and I STILL can't see what's going on!

• Love 2

I guess Josh 2.0 is a little psycho. Poor Debbie. That was kind of disturbing to watch. I'm now wondering what the point of her whole plotline was. I suppose it could have just been to show us the inner workings of the NM compound.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 2

Ah...the incompetent trio rides again. That episode actually made no sense at all!

Also....pssst...if you shoot Red or just nick her a little, they wouldn't be able to use her in whatever rites they are planning, as she won't be unblemished any more.

I think even USA has given up on this.

For several weeks they replayed the episode immediately after it aired, then they would usually air the previous week's episode and then replay the new episode again.

Starting last week I noticed they didn't replay the new episode.  They aired something else from 11-1 and then replayed the new episode at 1.  That continued this week.

As for the episode itself, I didn't care much what happened to Debbie since they needed to wrap-up the NM part of the story a long time ago.  At this point, they still could have dropped the entire NM part of the story and everything else would make as much (or as little) sense.

JI didn't livetweet this one, and said he hadn't seen the episode and could anyone tell him what happened.

I wonder how many people replied that no one knew what the hell was going on, anyway.

• Love 3

Meh  I wandered off when Anne Heche was climbing stuff. The only way this series can redeem itself in my eyes is if the crazies do succeed in bringing on Armageddon and the world explodes in a great big fiery ball.--after Red and Avram have been raptured to safety first, of course. 

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 1

I still like it.  In fact the hour flew by for me.  But I'm willing to play along, to forgive/overlook the many absurdities the producers keep throwing at us. 

It interests me how different the two Joshes seem.  They have the exact same genetics.  Almost the same upbringing as well.  Yet the first came across as sweet and good, while the second is evil incarnate.  Why the difference?  Was Josh 2.0 abused more?  Did Josh 1.0 have more nice people like Debbie looking after him? 

Two more episodes, right?  My guess is they will leave lots of questions unanswered.  But I can't imagine a second season. 

• Love 2

I want to give the show a little credit. I didn't see Debbie's murder coming.

Other than that, another terrible hour of TV. I particularly enjoyed following someone in the desert. As everyone here has said, other than Avram and Red, I don't care what happens to these characters.

My favorite line was when the evil rabbi said that he shouldn't have put a "boy" in charge of a cow that is supposed to summon the apocalypse and that trained assassins were trying to stop.

Edited by portfino
  • Love 3

Peter and Golan are hopeless. It's a wonder they manage to get their pants on every day.

Farewell apparently pointless Debbie!

I did think that evil archaeologist guy and minion were going to drill through the wall that Peter and fully-recovered Emma were staring at. That's the kind of suspense this show has.

I know what hate watching is, and someone else has defined hope watching as continuing to watch in the hope that it gets better. But what is watching to get to the end because you feel that you've invested the time and want some damn answers?

• Love 5

I know what hate watching is, and someone else has defined hope watching as continuing to watch in the hope that it gets better. But what is watching to get to the end because you feel that you've invested the time and want some damn answers?

Being a "completionist".  

That said, I do like this show still.  Like kikaha, I can just roll with it.  I want to see how the mystery plays out.   I want to see how all the threads come together.

I was upset at Debbie getting killed. I expected it to happen at one point, and even for Josh to be part of it given his past behavior, but I still didn't like it.  I wanted her to at least win a little.  Sigh.  I'm still wary of Emma too.  What purpose does she serve now?

2 asides.  1) How old is Avram supposed to be?  People keep referring to him as a boy, but he looks at least 20 to me.

2)  There is one thing that hangs me up (see point above about just rolling with it) with the story.  Would the FBI really take orders from an ambassador?  I understand cooperation, and united front, etc, but up until now it seemed like if the Ambassador said something, the FBI had to follow.

• Love 1

2 asides.  1) How old is Avram supposed to be?  People keep referring to him as a boy, but he looks at least 20 to me.

2)  There is one thing that hangs me up (see point above about just rolling with it) with the story.  Would the FBI really take orders from an ambassador?  I understand cooperation, and united front, etc, but up until now it seemed like if the Ambassador said something, the FBI had to follow.

1) 19.

2) It's a little complicated. In the beginning, the Ambassador was essentially the President's voice abroad, and even CIA (who admittedly were likely posing as State Department officials) had to follow his/her commands. As technology has changed and WH staff grown, the White House (meaning advisors not the President himself) can dictate policy in real time. As ambassadorial power has weakened, the agencies CIA/FBI/military have wanted more say and have largely gotten it. I think in this case, there have been hints though that the President is on the brink of some Mideast peace deal, and has given the Ambassador free reign so that nothing goes wrong.

Mind you, this hasn't just effected Ambassadors and the State Department. These changes have impacted all Departments. In virtually every way, Cabinet members are less important than they were even 30 years ago.

Edited by portfino
  • Love 2

It interests me how different the two Joshes seem.  They have the exact same genetics.  Almost the same upbringing as well.  Yet the first came across as sweet and good, while the second is evil incarnate.  Why the difference?  Was Josh 2.0 abused more?  Did Josh 1.0 have more nice people like Debbie looking after him? 

I think it's totally a case of nature versus nurture. Josh 1.0 had more caring people looking after him, or at least on more, and therefore was a more normal child. I didn't get the impression that either of them were abused, at least not physically. Keeping them locked up in that compound, without letting them outside, is pretty abusive though.

• Love 1

I keep watching...because. I like Dan Brown's books, I like archaeology, at one point I was into Biblical prophecies (though I no longer believe a word of it), so this should all be down my alley, but I have a hard time focusing on the plot. Too many characters... kind of confusing. 

The Essenes in their white bathrobes cracked me up when they pulled out semi-automatics (or whatever those big guns were.) 

Like the rest of you, I love Avram and his red cow. Just the thought of a god requiring a blood sacrifice (human or animal) grosses me out to no end (again, not religious), but that's the plan for poor Red. I hope she escapes and finds a nice family to live with, one she can give milk to and grow old with. Was that Red with the Essenes? Like many of you, I found it so dark, I couldn't see clearly.

I think I've enjoyed the New Mexico stuff the most, because creepy cults always fascinate me. Plus they've hinted at cloning, and I want to know more about that. I couldn't figure out what Redhead was reading in the medical folder -- some "unviable" fetuses, clearly some in vitro going on (stirrups table there like in the OBGYN's office), and a more advanced fetus which I assume is one of the Joshuas. She had a weird look on her face when looking at those ultrasound images, though, and I wondered if I was missing some clue in them.

But the NM plot has also felt like a lot of running in place since Joshua 2.0's bar mitzvah. Redhead escapes with boy, redhead gets recaptured, escapes, recaptured, escapes, killed. Maybe I'm overstating that, but it feels like a lot of running around and not much forward movement. Well, until redhead got her neck slashed. So much for Joshua being a pure child of any kind, amIright? Now I'm thinking he's the anti-Christ, because we have to throw that old trope in there somewhere.

I WAS assuming Joshua is the high priest who will be wearing the magical breastplate (because God is like Harry Potter and you have to get the recipe right) and sacrificing Red (again, magical recipe) when they start rebuilding the temple, tying together a Christian sect, a Jewish sect, and somehow a Muslim sect all trying to bring about the apocalypse? Or not, I have no idea. I thought Muslims were involved early on, but now I'm not seeing them, and I'm too tired and distracted to remember clearly.

BTW, thanks for the link to this article, it really does read like the source material for this show, with the evangelicals in America working with the Orthodox Jews to bring about the apocalypse: ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/readings/forcing.html )

The Temple Institute operates a small museum in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City. A visitor steps down into a basement room that houses the collection and a bookstore; one of the books on display is "The Mystery of the Red Heifer: Divine Promise of Purity," by Rabbi Richman....

The goal of the institute is not only to restore the Temple itself but to reinstate the priestly castes, clerical rule, and animal sacrifice that characterized the nation of Israel at the dawn of the Iron Age. To secular Israelis, this sounds like a Jewish version of the Taliban. And yet the construction of a third Temple is essential to the view that many Orthodox Jews have of salvation and the coming of the Messiah. Without the Temple, there is no way to fulfill many of the religious obligations, such as ritual sacrifices, that the Torah requires.

We saw a version of that institute in a couple episodes. And this is pretty creepy...like the NM cult (coming into contact with the dead means walking on the ground, because the dead are buried in the ground. That makes a person "impure." Wow. People believe this stuff.)

Now his organization has announced a controversial new project: a home for boys who will become cohanim -- members of the priestly caste who ran the Temple. "During the time of the Temple, the ashes of the red heifer were kept in containers, so when the priests saw they were running out of ashes they would use up the old ones and make some more. But today we don't have any 'Leftovers.' So it's important to take children, even before they are born, and bring them up in a place where there is no chance for them to come into contact with the dead." During the era of the Second Temple, boy priests were raised in compounds built on solid bedrock, out of the range of any possible gravesites.

Elboim claims that he has already received offers from four families to donate their future children to his effort, but he expects to need at least nineteen, in part so that the boys will have companionship, but also because there are more than seventy blemishes that can disqualify a boy from becoming a priest.

He says that a Jewish settlement near Jerusalem is willing to build a special enclosure for the priestly boys so that they will never have to set foot on the ground. There will be an elevated courtyard where they can play. According to Ha'aretz, some of the other people involved with Elboim's plan are former members of Kach, an outlawed far-right religious party. The boys will not be permitted to leave the compound until their bar mitzvah, at the age of thirteen, at which time, according to tradition, they will become adults and are old enough to slaughter and prepare the ashes of a red heifer.

I saw the pre-show promo show, and they kept emphasizing that "this could actually happen!" and "It's terrifying!" and "there are people today who are trying to make this come about!" And all I could think was that God can do what he wants when he wants; he'd hardly need secret special-sauce recipes to make things happen. And that some people are nutty.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1
I was upset at Debbie getting killed. I expected it to happen at one point, and even for Josh to be part of it given his past behavior, but I still didn't like it.  I wanted her to at least win a little.

She did manage to kill the cop, I just wished she had taken out a few more before she left, and I thought she said the place was rigged to blow so i was hoping when she shot the gas tank that the whole place would go up in flames.

• Love 2

I was really disappointed that Debbie didn't make it until the end. Like Andromeda mentions the NM parts just went round and round. But I didn't enjoy those segments at all. Religious nuts & cults drive me nuts. But I like Lauren Ambrose so it was nice to see her in something again. All the NM scenes were mostly boring and pointless & I would rather have seen more with Peter & Golan or even Avram and the cow or just more stuff that made the story clearer.

Why Debbie kept going to save Josh was beyond me. He's a creepy little kid. She got played.

• Love 1
Poor Debbie. That was kind of disturbing to watch. I'm now wondering what the point of her whole plotline was. I suppose it could have just been to show us the inner workings of the NM compound.

If her plot line was to show that the compound had pretty much no security at all, job done.  What was that, three times people just ran outside, got into their parked car and fled?  As he ran outside, again, to watch Debbie driving away again, I was half-expecting Evil Reverend to say 'Man, we really need to put somebody on this door.  Fuck am I paying you guys for?'

Peter and Golan, worst sneaker-upers ever.  Their entire surveillance plan hinged on 'hope the guys don't turn their heads, even a little.'

Best line of the night: 'We're Essenes, we don't kill.  (gunfire erupts 5 seconds later) Except when we do!'

Most labored trope of the night (amid stiff competition): hiding out in the closet while your adversary has a conversation about exactly the thing you need to hear.  No sitting there for an hour looking at shoes on Zappos, no calling her mom and asking about her cat.  Right to business: killing you.  Man this show blows.

• Love 3

Oh please, don't give the producers any ideas! If they start having the ambassador shop on-line they could stretch this out for another two episodes. I just have to get to get to the end. Don't encourage them to push it off!

Red is so cute. Who wouldn't love a little red cow? When I was a little girl in Poland..... Oh wait, that's a different show.....

• Love 5

How many episodes are left of this dreck?  Even though I paid American Dollars to watch the series*, I am going to quit it if there's more than one episode left.

*BFF, who recommended this shit, owes me big.

On Topic:  The cow continues to be adorable and the little coat she was wearing pegged the cute-o-meter.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
Why did what's his face keep running down the middle of the road and then the steps which that urban assault vehicle racing after him is designed for? He could have run off into the trees at any given moment.

I  noticed this too, for what it's worth. Which isn't much! But it's emblematic of the stupid.

Other than mall parking lot, give me a ten-second head start and I'll disappear from any vehicles chasing me. Tip #1, don't run where the cars can go.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2
Peter and Golan, worst sneaker-upers ever.

Room in Golan's glove compartment next to boyfriend's sammich for binoculars. I like how he was laying on the bank of salt or whatever, pretending he was you know, just stretching. When he gets back to the station he should never hear the end of being snuck up on, and knocked unconscious, by a shepherd with his flock of sheep.

The plot moves by 1.) people getting the drop on each other resulting in kidnapping, followed by 2.) escapes, which 3.) fail, resulting in people getting the drop on other people, resulting in see 2.).

Yes, worst cult compound security ever.

Still don't get the point of the Emma/daughter ruse, but for now what the heck, she's cute so can tag along.

The whole Deb and Charlie subplot entirely pointless, like Khalid's suicide. If only they had just kept driving that extra hour to Alburqueque the first time. Or Deb the second time.

I blinked--how did Red the cow get from Croatia to the desert in Israel?

Presumably catatonic guy will wake up soon thanks to the bishop.

A bit of dialog between Peter and Emma, something like: I see something. Oh yeah, what? Symbols, characters. Like, a language? Yes Peter, like a language. Some Aramaic, some Balonish, some...Yiddish! It says...oi gevalt, such dreck!

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1
The whole Deb and Charlie subplot entirely pointless, like Khalid's suicide. If only they had just kept driving that extra hour to Alburqueque the first time. Or Deb the second time.

Now I know what this reminded me of. 24! famous for it's subplots that went nowhere just to take up time.

• Love 1

When he gets back to the station he should never hear the end of being snuck up on, and knocked unconscious, by a shepherd with his flock of sheep.

I blinked--how did Red the cow get from Croatia to the desert in Israel?

Presumably catatonic guy will wake up soon thanks to the bishop.

Golan must have gotten paired with Peter because no one else wanted to work wiht him anymore. So they pawned him off on the American.

I think the Essen who cownapped Red took her to Israel.. .which... since that was the plan that Red's handlers had all along, wouldn't it have been easier to wait until Red GOT to Isreal to take her? A lot of killing, mayhem and rending of garments along the way for no real reason that I can see.

Who is catatonic guy (other than the viewers, that is)?

• Love 1
Who is catatonic guy (other than the viewers, that is)?

The guy (American? I forget) in the psych ward with the tattoo of the temple foundation on his chest. Who received a bishop in the mail. At least I think it was a bishop. He better wake up soon or that'll be a whole other plotline that went nowhere.

Correction: a scar, not a tattoo. Ouch!

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1

Is he the guy in the video?  Or is that guy dead?  I think that guy is dead.  Who is he?  What the fuck is going on.

I say we just call this, "The Cute Red Cow Show:  Shenanigans in New Mexico" and move on.

• Love 1

The guy (American? I forget) in the psych ward with the tattoo of the temple foundation on his chest.

I yeah, him... I forgot all about him.

Just as the writers of this show forgot about the Sisters of Dinah who served as the most pointless plot device ever, espcially considering that we only met one of them whose sole function was to lead our incompetent... uh.. I mean Intrepid, hero to a hiding spot or something... I've aready forgotten what the point was, to be honest.

Still don't get the point of the Emma/daughter ruse, but for now what the heck, she's cute so can tag along.

Her progression as a character confuses and frightens me.  Like days ago, she was was a winsome sprite hired to give Peter a weird boner by ... reminding him of his daughter?  That was intentional?  And worked?  Then she was a picture of a murder victim, which was enough to spark an international inquiry into her not-death.  Then she was an escapee, and now she's Scully to Peter's uber-inept Mulder?  All in, what, like two weeks, maybe.  

I'm not even gonna ask why he trusts here because this is a show where a girl busted a demon child out of a cult headquarters twice and was betrayed by him, twice.  Having not gone straight to the cops, again.  I know she shotgunned a guy so she's got some 'splaining to do but once the FBI hears about point-blank Josh 1.0, she'd have gotten a deal.  Seriously Deb, you weren't exactly up against David Miscavige here. 

Just as the writers of this show forgot about the Sisters of Dinah who served as the most pointless plot device ever, espcially considering that we only met one of them whose sole function was to lead our incompetent... uh.. I mean Intrepid, hero to a hiding spot or something... I've aready forgotten what the point was, to be honest.

Her job was to open the door.  Twice.  Once to the evil archaeologist, and once to Peter and miracle-cure Emma.  She apparently did a splendid job.

So are we supposed to believe that the Sisters of Dineh (it can't really be Dinah) have been there since the Temple fell, waiting to open their doors to all and sundry, and usher in Armageddon?  What a lease!

Let's not be mean to Deb!  Unlike the Peter-Golan team of awesomeness, she actually managed to find Josh 2.0 twice and to liberate him several times.

• Love 1

Her job was to open the door.  Twice.  Once to the evil archaeologist, and once to Peter and miracle-cure Emma.  She apparently did a splendid job.

There needs to be a special Emmy "Outstanding performance by a totally extraneous titular character"

• Love 2

So are we supposed to believe that the Sisters of Dineh (it can't really be Dinah)

Well, since "Dineh" is the Navajo word for the Navajo people, it probably isn't that either.  Although that would make just as much sense as anything else on this show.  (A quick Google didn't come up with a 'Sisters of Dinah' or of Dineh, so I'm guessing it's made up.)

Why can't it be Dinah? Dinah was in the Bible, daughter of Jacob (yea, I know this off the top of my head). Was raped which was avenged by her brothers who killed all the males in the city...anyway consult the Sisters of Google for more info. It could be that the background of the Biblical Dinah echoes in the current plot somehow...nah, who am I kidding. If an episode is named after an order that seems to only have one person in it, whose job it is to open the door, like in a Monty Python skit, and let anyone enter, why that would be silly! So it must have deeper meaning, right?

Poor Golan. He tells someone on the phone that he spent the night in the trunk of his car and the other person doesn't even say "Errr... What?". Then his day just goes downhill from there.

I like Avram, but kid, don't you think if it were as easy as spray painting the cow, someone would have done that already?

Was Anne H realy going to call someone from  the ambassadors office while she was supposed to be sneaking out unobserved? WTF?

• Love 1

I knew it was a bad idea for Peter to tell Emma where he was going! And I thought Avram would at least nick Red's ear, something small but permanent and noticeable. Now he has to kill Josh2.0?

• Love 2
(edited)

Was Anne H realy going to call someone from the ambassadors office while she was supposed to be sneaking out unobserved? WTF?

She hit the redial button to see who the ambassador called. It was someone in the consulate, maybe the woman who knocked Lynn out?

I knew as soon as Goran said he knew everything, and it was bad, but of course wasn't saying what it was, that he was a goner. I hate that he died. I also knew the girl was bad news. Ugh Peter, you just had to sleep with your daughter's lookalike? Ick. I'm kind of glad there's only one episode left.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3

She hit the redial button to see who the ambassador called. It was someone in the consulate, maybe the woman who knocked Lynn out?

Thanks.. I figured I must have misunderstood the point.

I knew it was a bad idea for Peter to tell Emma where he was going!

Why'd he tell her anything?  He didn't want her to do anything so why get into it at all, even if he didn't suspect her.  Worst. Secret-keeper.  EVER.

I knew as soon as Goran said he knew everything, and it was bad, but of course wasn't saying what it was, that he was a goner.

My dead grandmother saw that one matching up Broadway.  How hard must it be to set up a hit where you actually hit someone with a car?  What if Golan had just stuck to the sidewalk or not been using his phone?  He probably would have heard the car coming and gotten out of the way, or tried to.  Too many imponderables - Emma isn't a great hitman, even if she dresses like one.

Now that we know what the conspiracy is up to, how crappy are they?  If they've had millennia to organize this, why did they let Anne H. get the job she has?  Why not just put in one of their own?  

Why in god's name did Reverend Evil hire Deb at all, why not just employ someone who's in on the scheme?  Turns out he can afford to charter a goddamn plane - why skimp and hire an ex-drug addict who would have ruined everything (were she not so stupid)?

For that matter, why the fuck didn't they fly Red directly, surrounded by guards?  The Conspiracy knows the Essenes are out there, why give them any chance at all to screw with your plans?  Put it on your charge card - if the world ends, you won't have to pay up.

Ugh Peter, you just had to sleep with you daughter's lookalike? Ick.

You said it, Pez.  Good on the conspiracy to figure that Peter would feel both fatherly-protective and succumb to the power of boners with the same person.  And this for a guy with a sucking chest wound packed with mud.

I'm not even gonna get into why Peter and Golan seem to believe that the Conspiracy might actually end the world. I will say that if the Conspiracy had any sense at all, I bet they could have pulled off their prep work without killing or alarming anyone, least of all Peter whom the Essene guy seems to believe is integral to foiling the plan.  

• Love 4

Ahh, you all are such cynics.  Unfortunately, just about all the points you make are valid. 

I say 'unfortunately,' because this could have been a great show.  Still enjoy it -- still want to see how things get resolved -- but I have to think of Dig as one that got away.  

• Love 1

As long as Red gets out of this alive, I don't much care what happens to anyone else, except for Avram.

Good to see that Peter can finally scratch "Screw daughter by proxy" off his bucket list.  And he's supposed to be the good guy?  Didn't Peter's daughter kill herself?  I'm beginning to wonder.

I should feel more sorry for Golan except:

• If "they" know enough to put Peter in great danger, "they" know enough to put you in danger, so pay the %@! attention

• That goes double in the last few episodes when character story lines have to be wrapped-up (written off). Show a little meta-knowledge, would ya?
  • Love 3
(edited)

I like the idea of an innocent (Avram) being the unwitting hero just because he came to love a baby cow. And the "innocent" Josh 2.0 being EEEEEEVIL.  Peter is an idiot. I do not get what his role is here in the end game.  Even the Anne Heche character was more stealthy than Golan and Peter. Like when they bust through the window in the psychiatric hospital right after the nurse walks through that room and they are walking all loud and not even attempting to be covert and quiet, BUT they gained access by walking in the front door? Why not just pretend to leave and just come back in? (Unless I saw the scene incorrectly). I also internally kept saying to the Anne Heche character, "Talk off those shoes!!! High heels make more noise!!!!"  

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 2