Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

I believe the poster was saying that Eddie didn't appear to be using cards on his podium like others but rather cue cards off to the side.

I'll have to re-watch it and check -- I didn't notice that.

ETA: Took another look and, yeah, towards the show it did look like he was reading off a teleprompter.  It was weird -- you could see him reading the crib sheet on his podium frequently, while some of his responses to Chris earlier in the show seemed off the cuff Looking right at Chris), but then he also seemed to be staring straight into the camera at times for effect.  Who knows for sure ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I find Brett Gelman hysterical, but mostly for things he's done outside of @midnight. Years ago, on Scott Aukerman's podcast, he told a story titled "iBrain" that starts out as clumsy allegory and turns into the filthiest thing imaginable. It kills me.

(Note: this is not a recommendation unless you're pretty sure that vulgarity won't offend you)

I think Brett Gelman's definitely one of those you either find him hilarious or a total bore. He's much more into meta humor than jokes. If you weren't with him on the parrot jokes I could see it being quite annoying.

• Love 1
Does anyone know what show Chris was referring to when he said another show stole "BuzzSpeed"? I can't think of what it would be.

I thought it was because last time they had the Buzzspeed segment, some of the lists suggested by the comedians on the show appeared on Buzzfeed shortly afterwards.

I thought it was because last time they had the Buzzspeed segment, some of the lists suggested by the comedians on the show appeared on Buzzfeed shortly afterwards.

He did mention that, but after that, he said "And it's even been replicated exactly on another show....we're flattered, I guess?".  Not sure what show that is though.

I'm a day behind, but I actually got a really good laugh at the FTW on Tuesday.  Not necessarily from the answers, but when Chris asked who the second answer was (which was something like "let's see what shit comes out of Doug Benson's head"...not exact, but something like that) and Doug Benson pointed to Ari Shaffier and said, legitimately bewildered, "Of course!  Why would I say that about myself?"

Does anyone know what show Chris was referring to when he said another show stole "BuzzSpeed"? I can't think of what it would be.

Conan does a "BuzzFeed's Running Out Of Lists" bit on his show. That's what I figured he was talking about. I think Conan may have come first, though.

I finally got to see last night's episode (DVR malfunction) and was not overwhelmed by the panel. Chris's 13th Doctor outfit, especially the tie with his name in Gallifreyan, was awesome.

I am so not grossed out by jizz-related humor (ex. Randy Marsh's ectoplasm-gasm cracks me up), but the hand lotion jokes got old and felt out of place. I might be imagining things, but it seems like since CH went back on the market there are a lot more "hey I'm single and horny" references. His frequent remarks about how nerdy he is feel so "ain't that hot-no it's not-but yes it actually is"... if that makes any sense. He's a much more charming host when not doing the whole cute-girl-in-glasses-referring-to-herself-as-a-nerd thing. Just let your natural, low-key geek flag fly!

Edited by Dewey Decimate
  • Love 4

While it wasn't the best show, I was kind of fascinated by it since I'm used to seeing Aisha as one of the taller people on whatever she's on, but she looked tiny compared to Steve and Brian. And I liked Steve and Brian's outfits, at first I thought they were going to have something about them copying each other and end up fake fighting about it, but was relieved that they were supposed to be twins.

I thought Chris's first lotion thing was creepy because it was just Taylor Swift talking, not doing anything weird. Was that his way of hitting on her or something? It was really awkward.

While it wasn't the best show, I was kind of fascinated by it since I'm used to seeing Aisha as one of the taller people on whatever she's on, but she looked tiny compared to Steve and Brian. And I liked Steve and Brian's outfits, at first I thought they were going to have something about them copying each other and end up fake fighting about it, but was relieved that they were supposed to be twins.

I thought Chris's first lotion thing was creepy because it was just Taylor Swift talking, not doing anything weird. Was that his way of hitting on her or something? It was really awkward.

I ended up googling their heights, because I knew Aisha is six feet tall, and could not figure out why she looked so small next to Steve and Brian.  Well, that's because they're 6'7 and 6'6.  I had NO idea they were that tall.

My eyes were drawn, against my conscious will!, to his groin. Something seemed to be happening there.

LesserNYlandmarks was my favorite game, I think.

Judah Friedlander looked much taller on 30 Rock. Either everyone else on that show was tiny or he's shrunk a foot.

While Jon Hamm's cameo appearance on Monday night's show was funny, Ben Stiller fell flat last night.  And he didn't even contribute anything -- he just walked on and walked off, which was a shame because Ben Stiller can be funny when he wants to (am I the only one that remembers the Ben Stiller Show from way back in the early 90s ?)

I think that's why Ben Stiller seemed so flat. We just saw Jon Hamm enjoy himself and go with it, then to see Ben Stiller try to play it like the show was beneath him was off-putting.

It was weird seeing Jim Gaffigan so smiley and happy. In his standup he doesn't really break so I'm used to that version of him.

It was (kind of heartbreakingly) self-aware, but I laughed so freaking hard at John Mulaney's "Look, you're the first to get rid of Mulaney this fall, but you probably won't be the last"

It was so perfect! Riley is now at TNT/TBS so maybe he'll bring Mulaney and Enlisted to TBS... #FalseHope

Agreed with both points - that I laughed really hard at the Mulaney joke and that his show is awful. I love his standup, but the best part of his entire show is that they got ice-t to do the opening voiceover. and that's not a good sign.

We were at the taping for Thursday's show. I found out after the fact that Artie Lange had been pulled, but I wasn't disappointed. he is completely unfunny anyway. I thought all of the comedians were pretty funny. 

Not sure if it's because of unfamiliarity of the NYC location, but it was not the well-oiled machine I'm used to like at the daily show. We got there at 6:40 for the 7:30 taping and were among the last 10 in line to make it in... which didn't happen until after 8:30. I think it was around 9 by the time taping started and it took about an hour total with re-shoots... I haven't seen the show yet, so I'm not sure how much/what jokes got edited out. Bummed that Colbert wasn't there for realz, but contrary to what Chris said, the studios are about 12 blocks apart.

Oh, and the boilerplate legal about filming consent spelled the possessive form of it as its'. Twice. I'm an irrational level of annoyed about that. Not even it's which is wrong but at least logical, but its'. 

Edited by RockShrimp
  • Love 2

I have to say, before @midnight, I had no idea who Jesse Joyce was (and I usually like to stay on top of knowing my comedians), but he's quickly become one of my favorite panelists.  I don't know why, but his NYC in three words response of "No, fuck you!" had me laughing so hard that I had to rewind to see what I'd missed.  

• Love 3

I caught the episode with Deon whatever his name is.  After every comment he has to grandstand.  He just ruins the whole flow of the episode.  Say something potentially funny, pose, stare at audience, sway, act astounded at own supposed wit, re-engage audience, point at random people in the audience . . . . finally let the show continue.  Even if someone else had a good joke, he had to get in on it.  Just tiring. 

• Love 1

I watched all of Reno 911 and enjoyed it very much. But I think I would have liked this episode more if it had just been the actors.

Although I'm curious to see where else they can go with having fictional characters on the show. It's only a matter of time before Paul F. Tompkins, James Adomian, and Andy Daly show up in character, right?

I never watched "Reno 911" but I enjoyed the episode. I watched the extended, uncensored version -- all 50 minutes of it! -- and laughed a lot. I figured Chris wouldn't let Kerry Kenney-Silver, uh, Deputy Wiegel, go, but I agree that letting all 3 contestants stay should be a very rare thing, otherwise it's not special/surprising.

It was sort of funny on Wed. night when the guy from Birthday Boys pleaded with Chris to let him stay and Chris refused. He was the only "loser" all week who didn't get to stick around for FTW.

I never watched "Reno 911" but I enjoyed the episode. I watched the extended, uncensored version -- all 50 minutes of it! -- and laughed a lot. I figured Chris wouldn't let Kerry Kenney-Silver, uh, Deputy Wiegel, go, but I agree that letting all 3 contestants stay should be a very rare thing, otherwise it's not special/surprising.

It was sort of funny on Wed. night when the guy from Birthday Boys pleaded with Chris to let him stay and Chris refused. He was the only "loser" all week who didn't get to stick around for FTW.

Honestly outside of Sklyers episode, the rest deserved all 3. Granted I think Chris realizes he has opened Pandoras Box and is trying to control it, but every once in a while having all 3 advance is deserved. Also if there is a tie all three should advance.

I kind of don't think anyone should be dismissed. This is supposed to be a fun show, nobody wins anything, and the panelists are provided with their jokes, so why make a humiliating scene at the end with the red light?

Or maybe I just dislike that (except for Nikki Glaser) it's so frequently the woman who gets packed off in ignominy.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure all three DO advance in case of a tie. If they want to get rid of the elimination/red light and always have all three advance, fine; change the rules. But "breaking the rules," as long as it IS a rule, should be an occasional thing, not a 3-times-a-week thing. (And yes, I realize I'm overthinking this. I'd be perfectly happy if they officially changed it to eliminate the elimination, so to speak.)

Agreed. Those thuglife/huglife videos were priceless, but Keegan-Michael Key and Paul Scheer's reactions to them were especially funny.

Yes a video and gif of those reactions would spread like wildfire!

Hmm. I did not enjoy last night's episode and that segment in particular. I loathe bratty kids, and loath even more their being rewarded in any way. There are enough obnoxious people in the world. More than enough, really.

I could watch an entire week of episodes that are just Key and Scheer reacting to those Thug Life videos. They were both genuinely laughing so hard. Loved it.

I also thought it was a good night to let all three to FTW. I hope that an extended version makes it on the website, since a lot must've been cut out - all the points, especially Rob Hubel's, were shooting up like crazy without anything happening on screen.