Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

The ep with Drew Carey was one of the funniest I've ever seen. There's an extended version up on the @Midnight web site with about 10 minutes of extra material -- I highly recommend it.

Watched the extended version -- the additional jokes about the guys at Burning Man were pretty funny, as well as the additional awkward family photos.  Considering how family friendly 'The Price is Right' is, Drew really let loose.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention that Blaine Capach was also a writer for @Midnight, but he was really good as well.

I feel like Unpopular Opinion Puffin here, but the show with Drew Carey reminded me why I have such a hard time liking him. Every time he told a joke (and granted, yes, he was funny) he would laugh uproariously at his own joke while looking at the other comedians like Fozzie Bear going "wacka! wacka! wacka! That was funny, amiright!?" It irritates me, just as it does when the performers on SNL crack up during their skits. 

I'll show myself out now. 

PS Get off my lawn.

• Love 2
I feel like Unpopular Opinion Puffin here, but the show with Drew Carey reminded me why I have such a hard time liking him. Every time he told a joke (and granted, yes, he was funny) he would laugh uproariously at his own joke while looking at the other comedians like Fozzie Bear going "wacka! wacka! wacka! That was funny, amiright!?" It irritates me, just as it does when the performers on SNL crack up during their skits.

I really like Fozzie Bear  -- ducks to avoid thrown stones -- so that didn't bug me all that much.  But yeah, it was still a pretty funny episode.

When Blaine's answer was $1 in FTW, that was a classic shot at Drew's dayjob -- and had nothing to do with the guy dressed up in costume like he was banging a sheep.

• Love 1

When Blaine's answer was $1 in FTW, that was a classic shot at Drew's dayjob -- and had nothing to do with the guy dressed up in costume like he was banging a sheep.

Thanks for explaining that. Boy, I feel pretty stupid that I didn't get it.

I can't with that soul patch of Drew Carey's.

Edited by bilgistic

I'd like to see Jim Jeffries on with 2 other people before deciding if he's bad or not. I thought he was making fun of Chris D'Elia after another of D'Elia's lame jokes when he said something like "Ah it's funny cause it's not true, I get it" so he got some points with me. But with his accent and his tendency to mumble I'm not sure if he works on the show.

I cannot take Whitney Cummings. On top of my general dislike of her, she wouldn't stop messing with Chris D'Elia. I would've had to interrupt the show to tell her to keep her hands to herself.

She's really not as funny as she thinks she is.  I cannot stand her, whereas I think the other two would've been fine on their own.  If he was pulling from the Oddball Fest for the other comics, there are quite a few I wish he would've gone with before her.

• Love 1
I haven't seen yesterday's episode yet; but I did see The Meltdown (couldn't sleep at 2.30am) and Funches was on - he married Michael Ian Black.  He giggled and it made my late-night.

Ron Funches was at his giggling wrestling champ get-up best last night -- complete with feather boa and his 5-time championship @Midnight wrestling belt.

I'm pretty sure that Brody's button wasn't working last night at all, which made it even funnier as answers bounced back and forth between Arden and Ron, with Brody pounding away at the button.  

That outtake is hilarious :)

Man I enjoyed the games they were able to do with Paul F. Thompkins, John Hodgman and Proops. Black & WTF was fantastic.  I would watch Paul F. and his suits on that show all the time.  He would be a great anchor panelist for a new Match Game, suits and all.

• Love 1

I could've watched an hour of those guys last night. And I'm guessing a lot was cut out, because their scores (especially Paul Scheer's) kept shooting up without them answering. "Mastering a slinky" made me laugh until it hurt, just from the sheer ridiculousness.

Loved that Kroll got in the Vinegar Strokes reference. And his FTW tweet had my dying.

For Monday's show, I feel like Jesse Joyce should've been on with better people. Until Chris attempted to even up the points at the end, his score was way out in front of everyone elses.

On last night's show, I must give some credit to Steve Rannazzisi. I just assumed he wouldn't be all that funny, since he's not one of my favorite League characters, but it must be because his character doesn't fit with his natural humor, because he was pretty damn funny and quick. He also cracked me up by appearing to be delighted at the resemblence between Brett Moran and the Lemonhead mascot.

I have the feeling like I would like Jessiemae Peluso outside of the show, but I feel like her jokes just didn't land as well as they could've. It felt really forced.

There must've been a lot cut out last, because the scores were jumping up like crazy.

Last night's panel was very funny and I'd welcome any of them back. I can't believe i'm about to say this, but I think what made it funnier to me is that they didn't rely on dick jokes for every single answer unlike Rannazzisi last week. It takes more creativity, imo, to come up with something funny and not a dick joke, like Big Al loved livetweeting Downton Abbey.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

That was the most delightful combined panel I have seen on this show in a very long time, perhaps ever. And my guy, Tim Minchin, won! He was in the bottom, and he still won! I'm ecstatic for him winning the internet for the day. Weird to see him without his eyeliner though.

Tim was pretty funny, but sometimes he just seemed to drag the answer out, glad that Chris let him stay for FTW.  Plus he really seemed to be enjoying himself.

I think that Rhys Darby has gotten better with each appearance -- that WW2Land joke was funny.

This might be a really stupid question and the extended versions might answer it for me but do they just riff answers and then cut together the best ones? I feel like taping could take 5 hours and then they barely squeak out a 30 minute show. 

I think it's also been proven pretty conclusively that they don't just "riff answers"; some of the material is pre-written by the show's writers and the participating comedians. Which is OK with me, since it would be tough for most folks, even quick-witted comics, to come up with a steady stream of hilarious off-the-cuff responses.

• Love 2
I think it's also been proven pretty conclusively that they don't just "riff answers"; some of the material is pre-written by the show's writers and the participating comedians. Which is OK with me, since it would be tough for most folks, even quick-witted comics, to come up with a steady stream of hilarious off-the-cuff responses.

I just wish they wouldn't make it so blatantly obvious by ringing in, looking down, pausing to read the joke, looking up and then answering.

• Love 2

Last night was a fun panel! The Tindr portion...Eddie Pepitone's response to fuck, marry, or kill was just hilarious, as was Maria Bamford's response to the first Tindr line.

That was more what I was getting at, do they provide the questions ahead of time and they can prepare several answers or give them longer than we see to come up with. And I don't care either way, there is no "prize" it doesn't mean anything is rigged. I know some are very quick witted and some get to a much cleverer punchline but aren't that fast. I know a lot are writers rather than performers. 

I do not like Eddie Pepitone even if his answer is funniest. He is just creepy

I could watch Maria Bamford and Eddie Pepitone say fake affirmations for hours. I mean, I like James Adomian fine, but the other two really lock into fake affirmations.

Edited by Monty

I had to ask...I loooove Chris Hardwick. I have listened to almost every nerdist podcast and was excited to start watching this show.  I especially like the shows when Chris hangs out with old friends, because you can tell they're cracking each other up.  I got rid of cable but watch the show online every day after work. 

But could someone pleeeease tell me why Chris keeps repeating himself? He says so many things twice for absolutely no reason--it almost seems like a tic.  "next one...next one..."  "Let's take a look at this beautiful woman, this beautiful woman..."  "Number three, number three..."  It's kind of bugging me and I feel like I notice it more and more.  Maybe its just because it annoys me.  Anyone else notice this?

Pjxf99, I haven't noticed Chris repeating himself that much. It might be generic to game show hosts? It also reminds me of Johnny Carson reading his Karnack envelopes and Letterman at times.

Eddie Pepitone seemed to be reading off of cue cards instead of the podium, which I found odd. Maybe he's far sighted?

It's not just Eddie -- they all seem to be using cards on their podiums throughout the show.  Some comedians are just better at not making it look obvious.

• Love 1