Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

If the ratings were high enough, they would have wanted shows like this. Look at Tosh.0. They'll take whatever is most profitable.

I will miss @midnight, don't get me wrong. But I don't think CC would have ditched it if they thought it was going to make more money than whatever else they put in its place.

I suspect Hardwick is getting to be very expensive as a host, and that may have influenced their decision, as well. They might bring the show back with a cheaper person behind the podium at some point. I suspect, especially if Klepper's show doesn't explode out of the gate, they will be more than happy to have a show like @midnight again. They got rid of Larry Wilmore over ratings, branding be damned.

I miss this show a lot. I've been binge watching YouTube clips. Some have made me cry they're so funny.  Some of the best so far? This Paul F Tompkins outtake I'd not seen before:

And this bit in Feb 2015 where when asked for fake Walking Dead Spoilers show/comic book creator and comic book writer said "a character named Neegan would show up and bash Glenn's head in." This episode aired after Walking Dead season 05 episode 09 in Feb of 2015. The event Kirkman refers to happens in season 07 episode 01 in Oct of 2016, a full season and a half (including a cliffhanger about who dies at the end of season 06). This spoiler was so far out of what was happening in the show only readers of the comic would know what it meant:

edit: first the audience gets it, the "Eugene" gets it. I didn't at the time but it's funny as hell now. 

Edited by PatternRec

I occasionally get surveys from Comedy Central asking me my opinions on various shows. Either current ones, or shows that they're considering airing. However, on Monday, I got a survey about... @Midnight!

This week, we'd like to hear all of your thoughts about @midnight.

Fan of the show? Great! You get "POINTS"

Not a fan of the show? That's ok too --- we'd still like to ask you a few questions. And you'll also get some "POINTS"

Maybe they're thinking about bringing it back? One of the Q's asked me to rate various potential hosts, including Funches, Whitney Cummings and a couple other former regulars. (He wasn't among the choices, but I think Paul F. Tompkins would make the best host.) Anyway, it was VERY encouraging to get that survey, and I made sure to let them know that I missed the show and would definitely watch it even without Hardwick.

• Love 2
On 12/22/2017 at 7:53 PM, PatternRec said:

I miss this show :( 

I just dug up this forum to say the same thing! As much as I sometimes ragged on Chris and a few of the panelists, I looked forward to 22 reliably silly minutes four nights a week. The show introduced me to so many good comics over the years.

• Love 2

In the spirit of @Midnight's infamous Hash tag wars, #RevolutionaryWarAirports has produced some incredibly funny creativity in the Twitterverse -- and sounds like something the @Midnight writers would have come up with.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It's coming back -- though slightly after midnight. ;)

This happened today on Deadline.com:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/the-late-late-show-with-james-corden-replaced-at-cbs-with-midnight-1235252659/

Today's hashtag challenge -- #newatmidnighthost

Suggest ideas for who the new host should be.

Looking forward to it - I used to watch @midnight all the time on CC.  For host, how about Ian Karmel, the Late Late Show's head writer who's now out of a job?  Or you could go with one of the two people who ruled the original @midnight - Ron Funches or Milana Vanytrub.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, UrbanShocker said:

Looking forward to it - I used to watch @midnight all the time on CC.  For host, how about Ian Karmel, the Late Late Show's head writer who's now out of a job?  Or you could go with one of the two people who ruled the original @midnight - Ron Funches or Milana Vanytrub.

Points !!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

CBS Plans January 16 Launch for ‘After Midnight’

After Midnight starts Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 12:37 am on CBS hosted by Taylor Tomlinson.

That time might be problematic for people, I am not sure why they couldn't give it a normal time slot.

Isn’t it taking over the Late Late Show spot (Corden), following the Late Show (Colbert)? Why would the time be problematic - isn’t that when the LLShow aired?  (Speaking as someone who watches pretty much everything recorded, especially if it’s after about 10pm.) 

45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Isn’t it taking over the Late Late Show spot (Corden), following the Late Show (Colbert)? Why would the time be problematic - isn’t that when the LLShow aired?  (Speaking as someone who watches pretty much everything recorded, especially if it’s after about 10pm.) 

I guess it wouldn't be that problematic if the time is constant, since you would just DVR it. I was thinking what it is like if you wanted to watch it before/after watching something from another channel. It seems like the equivalence of taking up two parking spots in a parking lot, it tends to cause annoyance.

8 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I guess it wouldn't be that problematic if the time is constant, since you would just DVR it. I was thinking what it is like if you wanted to watch it before/after watching something from another channel. It seems like the equivalence of taking up two parking spots in a parking lot, it tends to cause annoyance.

Lol, maybe that was the problem with Corden (just kidding, pretty sure the odd start time wasn’t the problem). But seriously, I can see why something starting at 8:37 might be a problem (wasn’t there a network that did that for a while?), but I figure people who are still up past midnight are probably not people who are glued to the network tv schedule. 

Anyway, I would record the old @midnight and check it out/speed through the next day, so I’ll plan to check this out. 

Wow... the reboot of this show somehow came across lower budget than the original, when it seems simultaneously obvious that they spent a lot more money on the set.

I hope they calm it down so there's more jokes and less screaming and chaos.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:23 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Who knows -- in 10 years they may bring it back.  

'Jeopardy with dick jokes' is back -- and I was only off by three-ish years.

Watched the first episode -- and I enjoyed it, and I'm willing to give them a few weeks to iron out the bugs.

What I liked:
-- the big video screen -- it looks like a giant Samsung  Galaxy Z Flip smartphone, there has to be a promotional opportunity there somewhere
-- Taylor Tomlinson -- Taylor did a really good job filling Chris Hardwick's shoes (though she needs to stop adjusting her jacket), she's got good timing, and thinks fast on her feet
-- extended running time (nearly 40 minutes) -- it's about the same length as the unedited extended versions of @midnight that we used to get once a week.  It allows them more time to do new and different games.  To Smash or Not To Smash was fun, and it's true Luigi would go down on you, and he's taller than Mario.  :)
-- Kurt Braunohler really makes me laugh, I have missed seeing him on a regular basis

What I didn't like:
-- Taylor needs to say 'points', the audio cue was just not doing it for me
-- Introducing the comedians before the opening segment kills the energy of the show, they need to put the opening segment first vs just showing a preview of something that was going to be shown some 30 minutes later.
-- Red Light !! -- while Whitney's podium turned red at the end of For The Win (FTW) it needs the full red light treatment.